Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

We have officially had 7.5 inches of rain in this 'burb. That is double the average. I am smiling as I walk through the puddles. DH is smiling as he closes the farm books for the year. DS put on his Xmas wish letter to Santa "rain." We all agree.

Yesterday was a maintenance day I have to admit. Whenever I am two hundred calories above goal, I know I will just maintain. Drat! Today's Xmas wish is to eat EXACTLY what I have planned for and go to bed with a concave stomach.

Thrilled that I have found a new piano tuner who is willing to tune three pianos 45 minutes apart - two of mine and my mothers (her Xmas present.)

curleypudge: I get a lot of satisfaction out of cleaning the house. I have a new deal. I listen to audiobooks while i do it - on my phone with ear plugs. It really makes the time go quickly.

nationalparker: There really is victory in one meal chosen correctly. I look back at the success I have had and it is one meal at a time.

silverbirch: Credit for trudging with dignity and awareness. I am sorry it is so hard at Christmas.

BBE: Off to buy a few stocking stuffers. Feel smug currently having discovered how to purchase "crowns for Wizard 101" which was some mysterious code on DS' Santa letter. I am off to buy a gift card at Gamestop which apparently allows this. Holding onto Tech awareness just enough until DS turns 18.

Last edited by maryann; 12-16-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #107  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Busy day here. Errands early morning, then an 8 mile hike and then some home things this afternoon. I broke the coffee pot and drove around looking for a replacement before just ordering online. Also messed up on a banana bread recipe to use up over ripe bananas. Ended up with a bunch of wasted ingredients and no banana bread.

Signed up for a backpacking trip called the Wonderland Trail (around Mt. Rainier) for next September. It's with the Sierra Club as most of my friends don't want to backpack anymore. I'm on the waiting list so we'll see. Also, a friend and I have decided to plan for the Camino de Santiago in September of 2016. So I'm getting motivated to really get strong. I also really want to backpack the John Muir Trail, so I had better try to make that happen in the next couple of years.

That's been my focus today. Food planned and within calories, credit. Good hike today, Bell Pass, credit. More tomorrow. Shouldn't be quite as busy a day.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:52 PM   #108  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Evening has been a bust here - foodwise I've been OP and sitting here with a cup of tea, but a one-sided spat of DH with me has me irritated and out of sorts. I wasn't cranky before but I sure as heck am now.

Spent 90 minutes tromping around a bookstore, usually a very enjoyable activity, looking for gift ideas for a friend for our exchange on Friday. Found nothing. Can't really buy her reading material, but even the calendars were nothing she'd like. Not the wall, page-a-day or the mini wall ones. No vegetarian cookbooks looked appealing, etc. Just a bust.

Food has been OP for calories and lunch, despite being out, was good choice. Tomorrow our lunch is being supplied for a staff gathering for our larger department. Not sure WHAT it'll be but aiming to not let this get me offtrack. If I'm going offtrack, it's for something I'm longing for.

Negative vibes in my post here - apologies. Hoping to just stick with the cup of hot tea. Should journal as well.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:36 PM   #109  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Food is at the "too much" stage - I need an entry for that in MFP. I have been tracking calories every day - credit. We had friends over - one of whom is a pastry chef, which is dangerously, since he brought dessert.

The Joy and Love signs are done, and a poinsettia mandala. Getting closer to having all the Christmas commissions done.

Yesterday weighed heavy on my heart as a man killed his ex wife and 5 other of her family members, two of whom lived only 3 blocks away from us. The news helicopters were rattling our windows.

BBE - I am going to a Messiah Sing a Long on Saturday - we stand as well for the finale.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:11 AM   #110  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Great food day, CREDIT moi. Evening snack was half a large California Navel Orange - my first of the year. So good! My supermarket hasn't had the large, so I've passed on the bags of smaller ones. DW got these at Whole Foods in the onesies section; I don't want to know what she paid, LOL. New England Cod Fish for dinner tasted so good in the cold weather.

Walked, CREDIT moi, watching folks carrying large bags and packages. I dawdled in the used book section of Good Will but wasn't serious enough to even consider buying.

silverbirch – Neat point about the need to know computer history. I once bailed DW out of a jam because I psyched out that the program was built on top of Edlin - one old, old MS-Dos line editor. She was annoyed that one had to know history to use a computer. Kudos for planning via a menu.

maryann - Yay for California rain! LOL at "go to bed with a concave stomach" - a little grumbling helps too.

nationalparker – Yep, it can be a challenge to buy a book for someone else. The best book I've recently received was A History of the World in 100 Objects - each object is a two page history lesson. Kudos for recognizing that you can plan against the unknown via "aiming to not let this get me offtrack."

Karen (karenrn) - I hear marvelous tales about her month on the Camino de Santiago from my neighbor. She makes lasting friendships and meets the widest range of people. And she's not a serious walker otherwise. Always Kudos for "Food planned and within calories."

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Sending supportive thoughts as you deal with that awful killing so close to home. Thanks for sharing your 'Joy' commission - makes me happy just looking at its photo. I shudder at the thought of a pastry chef coming to dinner.

Readers -
Quote:
day 29 Resist Food Pushers

How to Say No

Before you write down the costs to someone else, think about how you would react if people turned down food that you'd offered, particularly if you knew they were trying to lose weight. How bad would you feel? How long would that negative feeling last? I wonder if any reasonable person would have more than a temporary, mildly negative reaction.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 209.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #111  

Height: 5' 2"

Good to read Beck's words, I don't remembering feeling badly if someone turned down something I made. Usually we had enough people around who enjoyed the food so it rarely went to waste.

We used to take Lasagna made with family killed Venison meat instead of usual beef. I would put note nearby saying how it was made, and only a few talked to me with surprise later. Of course some chose not to eat it.

Grand and great-grandsons here for supper. Clean plates so no refusal there.

Credit: Extra exercise cleaning to ensure safety for little one. Credit: Food was on plan.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #112  

Good afternoon coaches,

It's been a rainy day so I have done chores around the house and plenty of grocery shopping. The most difficult thing about no exercise is how little I get to eat, so far so good, credit.

Love to garden Yes I was thinking the same thing when I read Beck's words, it never bothers me when someone doesn't want to eat something I've fixed. With as many years fighting my weight as I have had, I absolutely understand.

Bill I bought oranges and had one as a snack this afternoon, delicious. I have been eating apples and I'm tired of them.

Nuxmaga Oh that was a horrible situation in your area. It seems there are just too many of them anymore and then the communication is so good we all hear about all of them no matter where they are. Your Joy is just beautiful. Good for you for the tracking on MFP. I try to be absolutely consistent with it. It's hard sometimes cause I really don't always want to be honest, but it sure lets me know why I don't lose weight sometimes.

Nationalparker Sorry about a bummer of a day yesterday. It seems you've been on a roll of good ones though, so hopefully back to that pronto.

Maryann 7 1/2 inches is a heck of a lot of rain. We have had more than usual this year, which is great. We may have had about that much all year. We are getting just a little shadow of rain after it passes thru California. We had a bit today. I can't complain cause it never lasts and we need it. I did take the day off hiking though.

Silverbirch Hoping things are going okay for you and the older people in your life. They are awfully lucky to have you. I need to cultivate friendships with much younger women so I have someone who might be an advocate for me one of these years. I do have some nieces but they all live out of state.

Curly pudge Okay so I have to ask, "Did you really enjoy walking around the crowded mall, or was that sarcasm?" Most of the time I would hate it, but given the right frame of mind and if I didn't need to buy anything, I would probably enjoy it.

Onebyone Hoping to hear that your workshop/class went super.

Well, hello to anyone I missed. I'm kind of worn out today from I don't know what. I did get the packages together for my work party on Friday. We still get together even though two of us have retired. I also chose two appetizers and purchased the ingredients so I'll be ready to make them on Friday. Tomorrow I'll make a huge batch of spaghetti sauce which may turn in to lasagna. But first I will hike.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

Tough at work enduring the tradition of a coworker who makes fudge. Drat! Credit for tracking and stopping - not in that order. Reasonable dinner. I am with Karenrn. I am just beat. Boss is expanding a reading program I piloted this semester. I am going to train three staff members to take over and then move on to other things. I joked to DH the "other things" could be peeling grapes under a palm tree. Not likely. Anyway, I know I am appreciated at work.

Nuxmaga - love the JOY sign. So sad to hear of the family. One of my peers, a woman I have seen struggle with alcoholism for years, was found dead in her apartment. She was fifty. I feel like "there but for the grace of God go I." We had similar pasts. Both teachers. I talked to her last year and told her that her Achilles heal was her intelligence. She graduated from Harvard. I said no one has ever been to dumb to get AA but lots of people are too smart for it. I think the same goes for food addiction. I can think myself into denial. I can find a reason every plan will fail.

I must remember to take what I can and leave the rest.

Last edited by maryann; 12-17-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:33 PM   #114  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
I tracked calories, and slightly less of "too much." DH and I walked to the diner for dinner, so credit for exercise, which is a challenge to get in this month. Grouted a sign that says Listening, and a house number inspired by the recipient's hydrangeas.

BBE- thank you for the supportive thoughts, and for the enthusiasm for my Joy sign.
Karen RN - yes, twitter makes it incredibly fast to find out bad news, both useful and depressing. MFP will be what gets me on track - I stopped tracking for 2 years, and could see the bad results of that unawareness.
Maryann - thanks for the kind words about my Joy Sign! That is sad about your peer.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:53 AM   #115  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

On vacation. Lovely. So sorry no room to pack Beck book, but took a walk in the snow today.

Everyone seems to be doing so well with the holiday parties! Me, not so much but they are now over.

Nuxmaga, horrified to hear what happened in your area. But the mosiac is lovely.

Lexxis - nice to hear you have everything so well planned and under control. Continuing to send positive thoughts for your sister's health.

Silverbirch - wonderful find of old book for your uncle about his town & that he enjoyed it. Great idea for an older person. I'm thankful he remembers you still.

Nationalparker - it happens.

maryann - yay for the rain.

karen - really impressed by your hike plans, especially backpacking.

curlypudge - good luck with the DD. The old divide and conquer is a favorite bit with kids of ALL ages, always h*ll when the other partner is out of town. Stay Strong.

BBE - New England Codfish does sound wonderful about now.

Gardenerjoy

Last edited by Mountain Mamma; 12-18-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:51 AM   #116  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Another good food day, CREDIT moi, until I encountered smoked salmon at my evening event. I had planned that the refreshments would be my evening snack. They were, but I served myself more smoked salmon than I'd planned. It's not like I'll never see it again, LOL, but it sure appeals to me. I got focused on the salmon since it was the least problematic of the foods and drinks offered. A good enough day.

Walked, CREDIT moi, after dark enjoying the cold and the lit up houses with Christmas lights outside and curtains drawn to allow views into the decorated living rooms. I'd worry that I was a voyeur except that I always hope that no people wander onto the scene blocking my look at the architecture of the rooms. UPS trucks were still out making deliveries after 7 p.m.

maryann - Thanks for the reminder that we can nay-say ourselves out of any good idea, "I can find a reason every plan will fail." Kudos for strength against homemade fudge.

Karen (karenrn) - Love the priorities, "But first I will hike." Kudos for tailoring your eating to your exercise.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Walking to dinner is just the best. Neat to have a house sign honoring the favorite plants.

Mountain Mamma - Wish I was there for "took a walk in the snow" - are you in snowshoes? Holiday parties being over is a useful milestone.

love2garden - Venison lasagna sounds yummy - neat that you label it so that no one with a Bambi-complex gets snookered. Kudos for the extra effort to protect the next generation.

Readers -
Quote:
day 29 Resist Food Pushers

How to Say No

Prepare your Initial Response. What will you say the next time someone offers you food? Write what you plan to say in your notebook or on a Response Card. For many people, "No, thanks," or "No, thank you, it looks delicious, but I'm fine," will probably suffice. You don't have to explain that you're on a diet or watching what you're eating if you don't want to. If it's appropriate and if you want, you can always say, "Thank you, it looks really good. Could I take a little piece home for later?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 210.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 12-19-2014 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #117  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi everyone-
a quick wave. My mother in law passed away so we've been preoccupied. It is sad but she did live to be a good old age, and she was sick for a short amount of time, so it didn't go on and on. Not un expected but hard to face when it actually happens.

will check in more in a bit- sounds like everyone is doing well.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #118  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Well, I waited to check in until the end of the day and see where it got me - not on the board. Day was a good one, though. DH and I talked it out (we've had only a handful of snits in the past five years - we're both fairly roll with the flow unless both tired and irritable, apparently). Left work a bit early after a super light lunch of a 100-cal bag of almonds. Wanted to beat the traffic up north of town to the nicer store area ... hit five different places, lucked out in many of them in finding what I was after, and then DH and I headed home for a very late dinner. I'd tempted him and myself by suggesting IHOP ONLY because I've seen the commercials with some cinnamon pancakes that just look decadent. I think we've maybe been there one time on a trip?? Anyway, the lure of fresh Italian bread in the trunk sent us straight home. Found "real" Italian bread - not generic bread dough cooked in varying shaped loaves and declared Cuban (long and thin), French (baguette shape), Italian (wider loaf), etc. But a quality loaf. Nice to find this new market and while it's quite a jaunt for us, I shall return!

On an 11-day streak of logging into MFP and that might be an all-time high for me. STILL very little activity that's just for activity-sake, but on my feet moving a great deal. It says in 5 weeks I should weigh 159. Doubtful. But now solidly at ticker weight - 163.2 and happy to see it drop from close to 165 early last week. S-L-O-W but in the right direction.

Hoping for time for personals this evening between baking sessions. But in the meantime, CurlyPudge - I'm sorry to hear about your mother-in-law - no matter how long/well-lived a life was, I think it still brings sadness at the farewell.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #119  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi coaches!

curlypudge, I send my condolences on the passing of your mother-in-law. Very grateful that she wasn't sick for too long and that she did live a wonderful life before. Sending my warm wishes to your family as you walk through this.

I have been more than busy these past few days and have been being very mindful with my food choices. Credit.I did have a cookie been Wednesday evening when we got over here but I remain determined not to let that affect the rest of the week. We had our Christmas meal yesterday which was healthy and in moderation. I had one piece of pie. Credit.

There seems to be a lot of emotional crap floating around here and I'm trying to be supportive of everyone and not let it get me into a bad headspace. I hope that this too shall pass.

Take care everyone!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:44 PM   #120  

Good evening coaches,

Sorry to hear about your MIL, Curlypudge. No matter what it's a difficult time of the year to lose someone.

I blew it last evening. I made shortbread cookies for my co-workers to include in their packages and I plain and simple ate the leftovers, and it was probably equivalent to 6 cookies. Not a good thing. Glad they are gone and glad those are the only cookies I made.

Today I did get out for a hike. I was planning an 8 mile hike, but it started to rain so I shortened it to 4 1/2 miles. It never did rain hard, but I had on a fleece shirt which would have been like a sponge, so I opted for the shorter hike in case. The desert is really green, so that's nice and I even saw one cactus bloom, which is unusual.

In the afternoon I went to see Wild. I had read the book, so I knew what the story was. It was still good to see some of the scenery. I would love to do the John Muir Trail, which is just a small portion (about 200 miles) of the Pacific Crest Trail.

Tomorrow I plan to get an 8 mile hike in and I'll need it since we have a party tomorrow night. I know they are serving salmon, so that's great, but there will be plenty of other things.
Closed Thread