3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – November 2014 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/300241-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-november-2014-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes 11-01-2014 06:42 AM

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – November 2014 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

BillBlueEyes 11-01-2014 06:43 AM

Saturday - Book Lovers Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – We had a limited number of Trick-or-Treaters last night. The next door neighbor showed up with her 6-month old in a leopard costume. We remembered it from her first two kids - doubled the joy. Any adults who came by happily grabbed the tangerines; the kids grabbed the candy first and then some of them took tangerines, some made faces, LOL. I fell for some of the dark chocolate - Ouch. I've been pristine in past Halloweens. It's easier for me to have none than to have only one.

Walk, CREDIT moi, saw adults already in costumes in the coffee shops and sidewalk cafes. Young adults have the best costumes - lots of energy goes into the assembly. We didn't have as many Anna's from Frozen as we'd thought in advance.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat set of credits. Interesting that chop sticks no longer slow you down.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – This type of thinking seems to guarantee that it will happen, "I will get through this, I know." It does sound hard to try to negotiate without reliable Internet connection.

silverbirch – Love the image of a room with more than four walls. When I first came to Boston, it took me forever to figure out that the Boston Common had five sides. Kudos for continuing to adjust times for eating to find your fit.

maryann - I join you in trying to make "the mega food industry feel a tiny chill in its blackened soul." Nothing will motivate me more than thinking that they lose a dime each time I don't eat a piece of their six month old candy.

nationalparker – Kudos for skipping the candy and the eyeballs.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat rest to be without Halloween due to lack of door lights - Kudos for not eating the candy that you didn't buy.

Readers -
Quote:

Day 25 Identify Sabotaging Thoughts

common diet-related sabotaging thoughts
To help you identify your sabotaging thoughts, here are examples of common thoughts among the dieters I've consulted:
It's a special occasion.
I'm treating myself.
I can start dieting again tomorrow.
I'll never lose weight anyway.
No one will know.
I'll end up eating it eventually.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 193.

gardenerjoy 11-01-2014 09:34 AM

Credit for doing Hunger Experiment 3. What do you know? Beck is right -- I'm as full or more full 20 minutes after a meal.

Credit for cleaning up the tomatoes and eggplants yesterday before the freeze. We ate the ripe ones in a veggie pasta last night. The green tomatoes will get made into a green tomato chutney today or tomorrow.

Today I started NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month -- a challenge to write a 50,000 word novel in November). This is the first time I've participated since 2011. 73 words down, 49,927 words to go.

I'm going to start reporting new lows on this new journey. It was motivating last time. I'm ignoring the niggling feeling that "new low" is a lie since I weighed less before I regained. It's a helpful lie, so I'm going for it.

WI: -0.6 kg (new low), Exercise: +40 800/800 minutes for October, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

nationalparker 11-01-2014 12:24 PM

New month, new focus! (Not that I HAVE to wait for a new month to get a renewed focus, but I'm good with declaring that today!) Went with a larger breakfast and aiming to do a bit of an early dinner with DH downtown in the funky section at a "healthy" pizzeria with salad/pizza. We haven't been there in about two years together - we like this thin wheat crust and different salads, and honestly I'm looking forward to it.

Up and decided to skip the tree planting since it was 15 degrees with the wind chill and where I live/this road the wind WHIPS through at a brisk clip year-round. I looked out earlier and think they must've delayed it for another day since I don't see anything out there.

Plans to keep busy today because of lots to do should help me with activity and staying on plan. Lowe's, financials, marketing, autumn decor up/halloween away, laundry, general cleaning, etc. Rented the movie, Chef, last night and hope it's worth the dollar - ha ha.

Heard back and two vehicles left in the Subaru selloff and our contact there put her name back in the draw, so keeping fingers crossed for good news on Monday. If so - great; if not - we're still good! After the snowiest winter on record here last year, I'm after all-wheel drive since I'm a snow weenie. Retiring in Florida just sounds "right" ...

At least a sunny day today - we were socked in yesterday. Snowed like crazy for hours last night. SNOW. ACK.

Mountain Mamma 11-01-2014 01:41 PM

Don't want to start with Halloween, but since the Oct thread is closed . . . and I must come clean. Totally lost it last night. Beck's red-light-running comparison usually helps me. But last night I pounced on the first red light to get it out of the way so I could run a whole bunch more. :dunno: However, as I was doling out from the assortment of chocolate packages, I realized the itty bitty trick or treaters should NOT be getting peanut M&M's - a choking hazard! What was I thinking?!! So I did the neighborhood a favor by removing that danger.

The conundrum is my weight was on the low end this morning. DH confused. Explained it's like looking at your checking account before a big check has cleared: it only appears you have more money. Back on the program, but I know H*ll to pay later. It's happened before after eating well :angel: & exercising: a gain will appear. :bomb: Because it's not a meter, it's metabolism, catches up later.

But courage! I'm off to the gym now.

Apologies no personals but Happy Day everyone - enjoy the extra hour, where applicable. Will catch up later.

silverbirch 11-01-2014 03:24 PM

Food was just off kilter most of the day. Breakfast was OK. I did plan food but the plan didn’t match the day’s events or weather. Our builder came round and we talked expensive things to do with plumbing and water pressure. The SO and I agree it’s better to get all our niggles sorted out in one fell swoop (more expensive) than to go for a quick hack to sort out one (less expensive). He (builder) gave me some advice about painting and donated some decorator’s caulk to the cause. We always learn something from him and I like him a lot. After lunch the DB and I went to get some winter socks. The wind and rain was atrocious as we came back through the mountains in the dark. Did not eat much tea at all as my teeth hurt from gritting them on the road. After posting this I think I’ll do some restful translation - and not eat anything later on.

WI: up 0.05lb. Exercise: NO. Spontaneous exercise: NO. Planned food: YES.

Karen, yes, 90F would be too hot for me. And unbearable with dust. Is your weather likely to change soon?

Bill, tangerines? Where are they from?

Gardenerjoy, I like the idea of 'new lows'. I would have reported one recently (and now my weight has shot right up again - you know how it can be).

nationalparker, snow? I always get caught out by North American weather: it seems to be winter so soon in some places. 4WD sounds a good move to me.

MM, thank goodness you saved those poor little creatures from certain death or hospitalisation! Good work going to the gymn: the rest of your year starts here.

curlyjax 11-01-2014 05:08 PM

Hi Coaches!
Like Mountain Mama, I too lost it totally last night! I just kept popping the candy in my mouth as i answered the door. I tried to buy mostly stuff i don't like, but did include somethings I do (plus also for DH who gets grumpy if he can't have any halloween choc). Well, its gone now, other than a little for tonights dessert. When the kids are grown up we are going to just go out to a movie and avoid halloween altogether!
Bill, I totally agree that its easier with certain sweets to have none than to try to have just one!
Gardenerjoy-i'm jealous of your tomatoes! But really glad i don't have snow yet like Nationalparker, yikes
Silverbirch-interesting idea to look at the timing of meals. We call can get stuck in a rut of doing things just because we have always done it that way, or it used to work for us at a certain point in life. Makes me think what should i re examine in my own life, what is and isn't working.

November brings a few family birthdays for us as well as thanksgiving, and new life changes for the elders in our lives. I think i will say "no" to volunteering at our church until after the holidays, to stay a little less stressed for the next 8 weeks.
waving to all!

karenrn 11-01-2014 06:45 PM

Good afternoon coaches,

I was on plan and below calories and I'm sure I will be today (cause I earned a lot of exercise calories that I hope not to use). This morning was a 10 mile Loop hike over Bell Pass and around to Windgate Pass and back to the Access area. It went really well because the weather has cooled. It was in the high 60's when I started, but only the mid 70's when I finished. It is only about 80 today. Yahoo. It shouldn't hit the 90's again until Spring. I have not been good about reviewing my cards or the book for the past few days, but I get a lot of credit for not eating any sweets for awhile and I really do feel like my resistance muscle is better . . . . until it isn't.

Bill All your posts mentioning the library got me there. I got a sheet of instructions on how to download audiobooks. I listened to In Defense of Food on my hike today. Not finished, but I'm finding it interesting.

Nationalparker I can't believe how cold your weather is already. And snow. I would love to see some snow. I have snow shoes, but they have only been used a couple of times. I hope you enjoy "Chef", I sure did.

Mountain Momma Some times when my weight is down after a cheat I tell myself "It would have been down more if I hadn't cheated, and maybe if I'm very good it won't pop up." Sometimes it's true. I hope so for you.

Silverbirch Yes our weather is changing right now. 90 is warmer than it usually is this time of year. It is usually low 80's. A cold front is coming through and it is supposed to be in the 70's this week. What a cold front, huh?

Curly pudge Boy I should have gone out to a movie last night. I was home with no lights out front due to construction stuff, interior lights low and plantation shutters closed. At least half a dozen kids knocked anyway. I only bought candy for the two little girls next-door, so I didn't answer. Partly because my husband wasn't home and I didn't want to deal with the dog and the door.

I must say I'm sure I would have caved if I had the candy in the house. Many a year I have decided not to have any candy only to eat way too many. I think I really am kind of a sugar addict though. Once I have one sweet I seem to want many. It seems to work best for me to have a sweet treat when we're out once in a while.

Happy November to you all. Here's hoping we can make some progress this month.

Karen

mamanerd 11-01-2014 09:23 PM

I finished the Ideal Protein regimen phases 1-3 in August and am now in the 4th (maintenance) phase and SO want to keep from regaining. The program gave a lot of good educational helps, but I know I have psychological reasons for eating/craving/failing, and just found and bought the audio book. I think this will be the answer to keeping it off, I've always wished I had something like hypnotherapy or something to give me tools to stop craving and giving in to wrong eating impulses. So, having found the forums for Ideal Protein here on 3fc, I have been delighted to find this forum for Beck Solution!

I lost almost 50 pounds safely and steadily over 5 months and hope to keep that off permanently. I am already enjoying the postings, having gone back and reviewed some older threads. I like the BeckTweets section too! maybe someone ought to start a REAL tweet for Beck quotes and tips, if there isn't one already.

Thanks for being here and I hope I can contribute, not just "lurk". Ive already given this resource out to a friend just two weeks into her "dieting" phase, she is already somewhat familiar with CBT from some psychologist sessions, so this should really work for her too!

CeeJay 11-01-2014 09:29 PM

Sigh... here I am again...September I did so well but October was the pits as far as food went. Once again saying Oh well and moving on.

Grateful for your understanding that I am so inconsistent in my participation here. I still have hope that one day I won't duck and run when the going gets tough.

Today I finally had a good eating day. Grateful for that.

:grouphug:

BillBlueEyes 11-02-2014 06:45 AM

Welcome mamanerd

:welcome: mamanerd :welcome:

And, in case you didn't get one of these during your six months over on IP, :wel3fc:

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our Beck Forum in this corner of 3FC?

BillBlueEyes 11-02-2014 06:47 AM

Sunday - Clocks back (except Arizona)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – I misspoke; on Halloween we gave out clementines - not tangerines. When I was a kid, we had tangerines - I don't know where they went. Best I recall, I offered them as tangerines and they still were grabbed.

It rained all day. Not only did I not get out for a walk, we had to cancel a planned walk about event with our kids and their significant others. The major Beckish event of my day was to eat a reasonable sized dinner when we ate with friends; I didn't join that group that had seconds, CREDIT moi.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats for getting underway for your NaNoWriMo. I remember you counting words when you did this in the past. Do you already have the idea sketched in your head?

CeeJay - Kudos for a good eating day. Let November be like October.

silverbirch – This "one fell swoop" notion has hit me before. It's problem is that there's a next one fell swoop and then another after that. I'm looking for an acceptable English term for half of a fell swoop. Will 'ha-swoop' suffice?

nationalparker – Good grief! Snow already! I'm so not ready. Great to know there's a healthy pizzeria.

Karen (karenrn) - Double Kudos for getting in such a healthy hike along with listening to In Defense of Food as you went.

curlypudge - Kudos for recognizing your need "to stay a little less stressed for the next 8 weeks."

Mountain Mamma - I like the analogy that there's a big check yet to clear - though I'm not sure of the biological mechanism, LOL.

mamanerd - Congrats on those 50 pounds gone forever. It's neat that you've already got the clear notion that you want strategies for keeping yourself on track. I agree, Cognitive Therapy seems to be an effect way.

It'd be great if you shook new life into the Beck Tweets section - it wakes then sleeps from time to time. Love your avatar name! Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:

Day 25 Identify Sabotaging Thoughts

what are you thinking?
If you're concerned about your ability to learn this skill, read the sabotaging thoughts and responses below:

Sabotaging Thought: I don't know if I can figure out what I'm thinking.
Helpful Response: It's not that crucial to figure it out right now. It's a skill I'll get better at over time. Meanwhile, I can reread relevant parts of the book to jog my memory whenever I need to.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 193.

AnnR 11-02-2014 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nationalparker (Post 5088808)
New month, new focus! (Not that I HAVE to wait for a new month to get a renewed focus, but I'm good with declaring that today!) Went with a larger breakfast and aiming to do a bit of an early dinner with DH downtown in the funky section at a "healthy" pizzeria with salad/pizza. We haven't been there in about two years together - we like this thin wheat crust and different salads, and honestly I'm looking forward to it.

Up and decided to skip the tree planting since it was 15 degrees with the wind chill and where I live/this road the wind WHIPS through at a brisk clip year-round. I looked out earlier and think they must've delayed it for another day since I don't see anything out there.

Plans to keep busy today because of lots to do should help me with activity and staying on plan. Lowe's, financials, marketing, autumn decor up/halloween away, laundry, general cleaning, etc. Rented the movie, Chef, last night and hope it's worth the dollar - ha ha.

Heard back and two vehicles left in the Subaru selloff and our contact there put her name back in the draw, so keeping fingers crossed for good news on Monday. If so - great; if not - we're still good! After the snowiest winter on record here last year, I'm after all-wheel drive since I'm a snow weenie. Retiring in Florida just sounds "right" ...

At least a sunny day today - we were socked in yesterday. Snowed like crazy for hours last night. SNOW. ACK.

I am looking for diet buddies and decided to try this site. I am not sure if this is the correct way to post, butt thought I would give if a shot.

nationalparker 11-02-2014 09:11 AM

A really good, productive day yesterday. Ate well and was busy with things I wanted to tackle ... and nice to relax over a good dinner in a busy downtown spot. I'm not typically the "30 minute wait for a table" person - we tend to hit smaller, non-chain type of places, and while this wasn't a national chain, it's packed, but we enjoyed the evening, then a trip to Lowe's to look for a sturdier garage unit (no luck) and then home to watch, "Chef", which we both enjoyed. I think DH now wants a cubano for lunch! :) I found a place in the artsy district that I'd like to surprise him with today... I don't eat pork or ham, but it would be a nice treat for him. In checking out their menu, there are no sandwiches on there that I'd eat but the black bean soup sounds good.

Making my menu for the week and suspect that baked potato soup will make the first showing of "winter" ... with 1% milk and a sprinkling of turkey bacon, it's not a calorie-pit. And boy, it is comfort food for me. Looking forward to putting the oven on to bake potatoes for a while this afternoon and warm up the house.

Karen - How long does it take you, say, for the 10-mile hike? They sound just so wonderful. There's a part of my mind that's now considering Arizona as a possible retirement area instead of my home Florida ... the proximity to the mountains sounds wonderful, even though I'm an ocean gal. An ocean gal stuck smack dab in the middle of the country... sniff sniff.

Bill - Your writing through winters about delectable oranges just makes me want to find the kind you buy and not the dry, mediocre, tart ones I tend to buy. My folks' home had a nice orange tree (and a fig tree that had yet to produce after a decade...) and the new owner was so excited about the citrus.

CeeJay - Good to see you back! Will you join me for a strong showing in November? October can be packed up for us all.

MountainMama - I was laughing to read your method to save the neighborhood kids from certain choking hazards. :)

MamaNerd - Congrats on your great loss! That has to feel just fantastic. Continued good luck and welcome!

GardenerJoy - Good luck with NaNoWriMo! How long did it take you to come up with the subject/plot? I often dream about being a writer, but am NOT a writer :) but always say, when DH asks when we're moving to Montana, that we can go there if we can make a living from inside a log cabin without having to drive to work in the snow.

Silverbirch - What does "restful translation" mean - piecing info together do you work with translating Italian (from going to the Italian building...)? I need to catch up :) Your mountain drive in the rain/wind sounds miserable - I am a nervous traveler in terrible weather.

CurlyPudge - Here's to a solid start to a busy November for you! Credit for recognizing that you'll be a better "you" with limiting demands on your time. I think the next two months will be such a challenge.

Scale is under ticker today - shocker. I need this confirmation that I can stop a weight gain. It seems so impossible when I'm on the way up, and like a freak mistake on the way down.

nationalparker 11-02-2014 09:13 AM

AnnR - Welcome to the Beck group! We're all fairly regular here when we can be and welcome new folks to the crew! Have you run across the Beck Diet Solution book yet? I've found it to be very helpful (especially when I actually FOLLOW the guidelines for success - shocker!) ha ha