Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #256  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches,
I guess we are traveling today after all which I am not happy about. DH is pushing to go- he tends to over estimate traffic and weather issues. Maybe I over estimate them, but I think better safe than sorry. Hopefully the worst that happens is we sit in traffic for hours. Like nationalparker, I get very concerned about driving in winter.

I was having a bad afternoon Monday, when a package arrived which was assumed to be a book. It was actually chocolates. Amazing timing, from someone who doesn't usually do this. Did I use my Beck skills to avoid emotional eating?

Reader, I ate them.
A lot of them...really binged I would say, because I was feeling mad at everyone and sorry for myself.
Ah well, i am up two pounds due to that and too much celebrating, and it isn't even Thanksgiving yet! SO now I need to really reign it in and not use that as a reason to keep going. Credit for exercising a lot yesterday anyhow, taking a day off and walking around another city, which was really fun.

Good luck everyone with the holiday and aftermath! Wishing all a happy peaceful day.
I will be probably be off line for a few days as it will be hard to find computer access/internet connection...I look forward to catching up!
Old 11-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #257  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Was MIA yesterday as I waited until night to post and then fell asleep before doing so. I'm looking forward to the holiday tomorrow - I like the baking, cooking, table setting, etc. I would be a good person to have a big Sunday dinner at my home each week. But, different times/life. Will bake the pies tonight and figure out what hors d'ouevres to do. In a way, they're not needed AT ALL with all of the food we'll have, so I might just skip and we use those with some of the leftovers later on the weekend.

Was OP yesterday and scale is still sticking at 163.4-6 range ... no lower. I want one OP day to show a drop of several pounds, I guess. Hm.

I'm tempting myself with ideas for lunch - out with DH or home for leftovers. Either way, I should be able to stay OP and go lighter tonight when I'm busy. IN THEORY, I say. I can make this work.

GardenerJoy - Hoping that things move back into a norm that is more peaceful soon. It's been interesting at my work because feelings of coworkers ran the gamut on the decision, some staunchly one way and some stunned at the verdict. But all united with the frustration at the way it played out. Stay safe.

GosfordGirl - Hope all is going well for you - as we're facing snow, is it warming up nicely there and putting you in spring mode?

OneByOne - Thankful to hear of the way things worked out for your mother and the new facility. Hopeful that this brings you peace. It's so, so hard to see decline.

CurlyPudge - SAFE travels! Perhaps those chocolates came to you for a reason, and you ate them and now you're fully prepared to rein it in this weekend and it could be a GOOD thing!

Lexxiss - What type of dog will be joining your family? Exciting! Travel safely in today's snow and on the weekend. I can't even imagine driving in the mountains in the snow. My heart is pounding NOW. I want another dog for companion to our current one but DH says we really have no more time to stretch to another pet and he's right. With the four pets, I feel stretched as it is, but I secretly would like a fellow pooch for her.

Bill - That sounds like MY kind of pecan pie as I don't like pecans and especially love the crust and gunk... yowsers. Now I have to look for them one day. (NO!) I DID emerge from the market last night with a box of frozen mini eclairs at 50 cal/each and there are 30 in the box. I will set a number of them out and send home with DH's folks if they like. I can manage dessert when it's mini - it's the biggies that kill me - ones that aren't portion controlled. We'll have too many desserts for four people - two pies, the mini eclairs now, some euro collection of cookies that I bought, and was going to make pizzelles tonight. That might get skipped. What IS IT with me wanting to feed people too much?

Silverbirch - LOVE the line "Edged things along in the right direction." So often we don't give credit for keeping things moving along. Thank you for pointing that out. I, too, need to have physical cards - I don't "see" the notes I write to show up on the computer, etc., and often have to rewrite the cards fairly often to keep them front and center in my mind. I do not take them out and reread them when facing a challenge though and need/want to get more proactive on that.

KarenRN - I, too, get sidetracked with toast sometimes. It's so innocuous - how do I get swayed? Oh, cinnamon toast? Yes! That and a cup of hot tea. How about italian bread toasted with fresh apricot jam? Reminds me of living there. Oh, soft whipped butter - that would be so nice on that. ARGH. Are you taking Thursday off from hiking or doing a morning one? Would like to get DH out on the trail early tomorrow morning but I suspect going later at night will be the way it shakes out.

Last edited by nationalparker; 11-26-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #258  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Caulking. I never realised there were so many holes in the sitting room. Once you’ve got your eye in they’re everywhere! I gather that filling holes will make a big difference to the end result, and perhaps it will cut down on draughts. All this after a bad night’s sleep.

WI: +1lb. Exercise: YES - Flexibility. Spontaneous exercise: bending and stretching whilst decorating. Written food plan: YES. Last night’s sleep: 6.5 marks out of 10.

love2garden, how marvellous to have two chefs on hand, preparing you wonderful food!

Debbie, safe journey in the weather! Hope all goes well with picking up the new member of your family.

Bill, spark plugs and feeler gauges - yes, that takes me back. Here's something for the guy who'd 'be changing the oil in freezing cold with snow on the ground'. From the Siberian Times.

curlypudge, such bad timing on the part of that box of chocolates. I hope the weather smiles on you.

nationalparker, I see leftovers in your future ...

gardenerjoy, very best wishes and support to all around you. (The DB and I moved a couple of cats across London a few years ago, the day after some frightening rioting. I can understand, a little.)

Good luck tomorrow, if you’re celebrating Thanksgiving and there’s too much food. See you then? We non-Americans will be here to welcome you to food sanity, should you need it.

Last edited by silverbirch; 11-26-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #259  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Just a quick check in. I stopped after the toast with jam yesterday and was within my calories for the day, credit. Today I did a 90 minutes hike, credit, but won't be hiking tomorrow. It is about a 2 hour drive to our friends where we will stay for 2 days. I'll be lucky to get a walk in. Exercise is not their forte. I've got a pecan fudge pie and brownies in the oven and cranberry sauce on the stove. That's all I've got to take other than champagne and wine. My friend and I will cook together tomorrow. My goal for the next few days is to be diligent with portion control and I pray keep from gaining any weight this week.

I didn't take even a lick of the spoon with the sweets I'm making, credit, cause I know what happens. I totally forget I am watching what I eat and go from bad to worse.

Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate!

Karen
Old 11-26-2014, 07:52 PM   #260  
Enjoying la bella vita

Lesson learned: Sometimes at night, a bit of this and that does NOT equal a light dinner. Especially when it includes toast. GRR. I'm at 700 calories over two hours, piecing together a LIGHT DINNER while I prep for tomorrow. For cryin' out loud. Sitting each time to have this and that, but clearly that is no deterrent.

And I get on the scale hoping to lose weight?

What fantasy world am I in?
Old 11-26-2014, 11:11 PM   #261  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Arrow Wednesday in November, 2014.

Coaches

Still consuming too much food. Still not eating sugar. It has become a habit to say no to it now. I was tested just yesterday at the potter's guild day of jurying the pots submitted to our sale. My job was to help "split the pots" meaning bring half of the stuff that's upstairs, downstairs and half of the stuff downstairs upstairs. It was a bit of activity but not as much as the other two who were also there for the same thing. Midway through jurying we had a potluck. I brought Hungarian beef stew aka Goulash (Gulyas) which is really a thick soup. I never hit the mark with the guild so I think it was only OK. Then after salad, lasagna and my stew there were desserts and I really didn't even think twice about them. I am still overeating though. For sure. Tonight was pizza and wings like I am a male at a sportsbar with friends. Wow. On the credit side though, while waiting for the pizza I wandered into the Bikram Yoga studio for the second time - the last time was about 2 years ago - and have decided to join. Now I feel I can leave my other gym. Tomorrow I'll drop by there and hand them my cancel my membership letter as that's what they require.

Other than this I am getting ready for my sister's visit. She arrives late Friday and leaves on Tuesday afternoon. It will be another stressful trip/visit as she has to finalize my mother's move. There are details I simply cannot do. An influx of furniture, and yes, more boxes (SIGH) will arrive at my place from my mom's old retirement home location. I haven't moved anything or re-packed anything until my sister arrives. I am fighting the urge to just "take over" the process but I am not going to take anymore on. I have done my share.

I am getting ready to re-focus and to seriously dedicate myself to losing weight. I do believe this will become my focus for the coming month and then the rest of next year. I need to see some physical changes. I can't put this off much longer. And I don't want to.

gardenerjoy I'm thinking of you and wishing you and everyone around you and all those you are reaching out to some measure of peace and a clear sense of direction as the days go by. Kudos to you for not sitting by and letting others do the work. Bravo.

Billblueeyes Our car is up on the hoist at the dealers having its axles replaced. I have to say I wish I was there taking in the underbelly of our vehicle. It is satisfying to fix things. Kudos for the sparkplugs.

silverbirch You always sound so exotic. Is (or is it Are) one of languages you speak Welsh? I speak Hungarian--do you speak that?

karenrn Wishing you a great time with your friends whilst keeping a grip on the calorie count. have fun!

nationalparker I was MIA yesterday and have been more MIA than here the past month. It's turned out to be superbusy. Good job staying within your calorie count. Kudos for sitting, and also kudos for posting here when challenged. Don't be harsh with yourself. You're doing OK.

curlypudge The holidays are a challenge and couple that with insecurity about weather conditions and then a surprise of chocolates, it would be touhg to thrown them out, or store them without indulging. Kudos for recognizing that a brief encounter with a box of chocolates does not call for an extended indulgence in excess food over the next few days.

Lexxiss I hope you had a fantastic time in the pool, and that dinner was fabulous and I cannot wait to hear about your new pup. So awesome that you are rescuing a senior dog. I am thankful for people with kind hearts like you.

love2garden It made me happy to read you have folks looking after you as you mend. Glad you could get outside and that it was warm. Both circumstances worthy of celebration at this time of year!

GosfordGirl waving back

to everyone else as well

Last edited by onebyone; 11-26-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:10 AM   #262  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - Thanksgiving (U.S.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, was for the only item needed today that we didn't have - lettuce. I'm in charge of making the salad. Exercise was also lifting the pot with a 20 pound turkey and two gallons of brine out of the fridge to the basement sink to extract the turkey from brine. It went well. I did learn that brine works - when I washed my hands afterward the brine smell wouldn't go away, LOL. Miserable exercise was clearing the inch of snow from the sidewalk as the sleet/rain continued. There was none of the joy of shoveling fluffy snow in the sunshine with neighbors all chatting.

Food was on-plan, CREDIT moi, even though that included an afternoon snack of a sample of DW's cornbread with her. Many years ago our Thanksgiving prep always included setting out a bowl of candy for nibbling. It's neat that we don't do that now so it's not a temptation.

onebyone – Super Kudos for "Still not eating sugar" - celebrate the success. (Had to work my way through, "jurying the pots," "split the pots," and "a potluck" but I got it, LOL.)

silverbirch – If only you lived closer I'd lend you my infrared thermometer that you point at a wall to see cold spots. Don't know that it works any better than the eye, but it's fun. [I so want to be one of those passengers pushing my jet to free the frozen brakes. Except I'm having a hard time thinking of climbing right back on board to fly in such a plane, LOL.]

nationalparker – I agree with you that Thanksgiving doesn't need hors d'oeuvres when there's so much food. Like reading, "I can make this work." I know that mind thwark that declaring it "a LIGHT DINNER" allows the calories to just pour in. [50 calorie mini-eclairs sound great - except that I'd want a stack of them, LOL.]

Karen (karenrn) - Sounds like a plan, "diligent with portion control" - Thanksgiving needs a bit of flexibility since unknown foods appear.

curlypudge - There isn't a more volatile combination than feeling sorry for oneself meets chocolate. Kudos for acknowledging and moving on. Hope your driving went OK despite the weather.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 28 Get Ready to Weigh In

what are you thinking?
Sabotaging thought about weighting yourself might surface tomorrow if you're disappointed by the number you see on the scale. Prepare yourself today for these thoughts by making Response Cards.

Based on the experiences of the dieters I've counseled, I can guess that your thoughts might go in one of three directions, depending on the number that appears on the scale. . . .

Scenario No. 2: You lost what you think is too little weight.
Sabotaging Thought: I've worked so hard, and the weight I've lost is just a drop in the bucket.
Helpful Response: My weight is going down. That's good! It means that what I've been doing is working. I should celebrate each half-pound weight loss.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 204.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:33 AM   #263  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Just a quick hello and Happy Thanksgiving. Yesterday was on plan and within calories, credit. Initial plan was to take a friend out for a birthday celebration. As it turned out she was too busy to go and we rescheduled for Saturday. It helped me stay on plan for the day.

Today we will drive about 2 hours south to Green Valley, AZ to see friends for two days. We are taking Harley our almost 15 year old cocker. I bought a harness vest we can run a seat belt thru and plan to put him in the back seat with a blanket. If he won't calm down I'll end up sitting back there with him. He hasn't had a road trip since we moved here almost ten years ago except monthly to the groomers and the occasional vet visit.

The weather here is going to be warmer for a couple of days. Probably near 80. I worry about those that are having to drive in horrible conditions. That won't be the case here. I will try to get out for a walk each day. There are beautiful hiking areas near Tucson and we plan to go to one tomorrow, but my friend hasn't been doing much walking. Hopefully we can burn at least a few calories.

My goal is to report that I enjoyed dinner and kept the portion sizes small.

Karen
Old 11-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #264  
Green Tomatoes

Thanks, everyone for the support. Snow on the ground helped chill things around here. I need a social media break, so I'm stating my intention to keep that at a minimum for the next few days.

My Thanksgiving plan is written. Unless there's something different than normal, I'm going to skip stuffing (too salty and not as good as what I made for myself earlier this week) and dessert (Usually pumpkin cheesecake from a big box store . I noticed last year that it goes down easy with the illusion of good flavor, but, really, it just tastes like sugar and fat. I'll come home and have my homemade pumpkin bread pudding with a little maple syrup on top for my dessert).

Happy Thanksgiving to the USians among us and Happy Thursday to the rest of the world!

WI: -0.25 kg, Exercise: +40 975/1200 minutes for November, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 11-27-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #265  
in development

It’s been a poor day for food, one of the worst for ages. Tomorrow has to be better. Credit for checking in. I hope that your day is going better than mine!

How can one small room require so much filling of holes? (Rhetorical question.) Tomorrow I should have finished that stage. I’ll then start cutting in for the top coat. Credit for keeping at it.

Bill, yes, it’s such a shame you don’t live closer. You could come over, lean on a nearby wall and offer advice and support! Great idea about the infrared thermometer. I’ve decided to give one to the DB as a name day present (early December).

onebyone, I don't feel exotic most of the time except, sometimes, when I wrap a blanket around my lower half to keep warm! No, no Hungarian here unfortunately. Such an interesting language. Great to have that under your belt. What do you talk to your mother in?

WI: −0.25lb. Exercise: YES - Flexibility. Spontaneous exercise: bending and stretching whilst decorating. Written food plan: YES. Last night’s sleep: 6.5 marks out of 10.

See you all tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:30 PM   #266  
Enjoying la bella vita

Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate and a thankful day to all.

Checking in to say that I sent home nearly all of the dessert leftovers and about half of the main dish leftovers. I like keeping some of that, though, for upcoming meals, just not all at one sitting. For two meals today, I ate enough for about 3+ meals. But the holiday is over.

Fire is blazing away, and I've been tackling some work and will get serious about it here in a few minutes. Tomorrow and Saturday night it'll last until close to 4 a.m. [blerg] I'm not a late-night person any more ... now up earlier and to bed earlier.

Not certain if I'll weigh in the morning - do I avoid it or face the music as the scale continues to rise.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #267  
persist

Thumbs up Thursday and Happy Thanksgiving to our neighbours to the south!

Coaches

Short hello. I was supposed to clean up today in anticipation of my sister's arrival and the arrival of boxes and furniture from my mom's on Sunday. It will all land in the newly reclaimed dining room and kitchen. Oh well.
Anyway I successfully avoided all clean up today and yesterday. Tomorrow will be a busy, focused, day. She has made some concrete plans re:movers and utility hook-up and I am grateful she did. I am glad I stepped back. The resentment level is non-existent. credit for managing my emotions and saying when it's all too much.

Food still high. Clothes feeling more snug now. I haven't been near the scale for a bit so time to do that.

silverbirch I was raised by my mother's parents, who were Hungarian, which is why I speak it. My mother did not hand the language down to my siblings. My grandmother's children were focused on "marrying English" and leaving the immigrant status behind. I sometimes switch to Hungarian with my mother to see if she still understands it and she does. We use it in a playful way, repeating exasperated expressions my grandmother would say. I was told by a Hungarian friend that my Hungarian is quaint and somewhat archaic. I also have a lisp which I try to correct. Being taught by a woman born in 1897 who was hard of hearing, so she never corrected some pronunciation problems, can do that to you! Just remembering her makes me miss her. Thanks for asking.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:22 AM   #268  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Happy Thursday everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate!

Gardenerjoy & Love to Garden, been worried about both of you.

Sorry to have been remiss last few days, Becksters. Company, etc. Not on-plan last two days but not all out off-plan either, so actually happy about that.

Last edited by Mountain Mamma; 11-28-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:09 AM   #269  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Black Friday - Buy Nothing Day (Vancouver, 1992)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Successful Thanksgiving Day, CREDIT moi. Restricted myself to one plate for the meal and one plate of desserts. The apple-cider brined turkey was the juiciest I've ever had. All guests brought food items and all helped deconstruct the kitchen when it was over. Best news: One took home the turkey carcass which meant that I didn't have to work extracting all the meat - that left on the bones was on its way to a good soup. At my insistence, my two kids took HUGE chunks of turkey home so that we're left with just enough for some joyous leftover sandwiches and no more.

Between the meal and the desserts, we took a group walk through and around a nearby park, CREDIT moi. Everybody had brought walking shoes with them so the wet ground wasn't an issue. In house after house we could see groups gathered around the dining room tables. Another inch-ish of snow fell after everyone had gone home. Magic day.

onebyone – Yep, Kudos indeed for accepting help when it's too much.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Can't wait for the book Joy's Truth in Marketing, with lines like: goes down easy with the illusion of good flavor, but, really, it just tastes like sugar and fat.

silverbirch – Ouch for a "poor food day" with Kudos for planning a better day next. Don't know the meaning of "cutting in for the top coat."

nationalparker – Kudos for sending much of the leftovers home with others. Thanks for the new word; I had to google 'blerg':
Most commonly used in the same context as "oh, damn". Used to express frustration, anxiety, depression, etc. Occasionally the second syllable is prolonged to demonstrate any emotion in an extreme fashion.
As an exclamation on it's own: Instead of "I can't believe I'm so stupid!", just use "Blerg!"
Karen (karenrn) - Neat way to keep your almost 15 year old cocker safe for the drive. Great Thanksgiving plan: "kept the portion sizes small."

Mountain Mamma - Good enough for Kudos, "but not all out off-plan either."

Readers -
Quote:
Day 28 Get Ready to Weigh In

what are you thinking?
Sabotaging thought about weighting yourself might surface tomorrow if you're disappointed by the number you see on the scale. Prepare yourself today for these thoughts by making Response Cards.

Based on the experiences of the dieters I've counseled, I can guess that your thoughts might go in one of three directions, depending on the number that appears on the scale. . . .

Scenario No. 3: You don't lose weight, or you gain weight.
Sabotaging Thought: I can't believe this! See, I just can't lose weight.
Helpful Response: My weight might be up temporarily for hormonal or other reasons. If my weight doesn't go down next week, I'll call my coach and see if she can meet me to go over my food plans. Maybe I made some mistakes. Maybe I need to decrease my caloric intake or exercise more. I just need to stay problem solving-oriented.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 204.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #270  
persist

Thumbs up friday

Hi Coaches

I just completed my to-do cleaning list on my whiteboard. My whiteboard is my best friend when it comes to cleaning this place up. I need to write every single thing I need to do down and then with great satisfaction I get to wipe it off the board as things get done. Over the years I have found this to be the only thing that works for me. *credit* for finding out what works.

Hmm. Just had a stray thought. What if I wrote out my food for the day on the whiteboard? Never thought that before. I will try it but my head says "not until your sister leaves on Tuesday". Mostly, I don't want her to see me do that, not that she doesn't know almost everything about me, but I don't want outside input at this stage. Except from you guys.

OK off to get started on the house. She will be here around 7pm-that's at the airport. Whenever she finds her way to me is another thing altogether. She is always late, always gets lost, and always calls me in a panic and can be counted on to turn right when she needs to turn left. Maybe it will be better this time. We shall see.

Bye for now.
Closed Thread