Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:13 PM   #241  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches- its late and i am heading into bed soon so just a quick check in. Food mostly OP except for dessert splurge- i am too counting the days until halloween is over!!
I did some simple weight training last night and took a walk with a friend today, so credit for exercise.
Bill- my fabulous salmon salad was the cooked salmon from the night before added into my regular salad, but it just tasted so fresh and great!

3sisters- Welcome! i am finding the "hunger is not an emergency" really helpful with me too- first i struggled against it, but am finding it easier to resist mild hunger and wait until it is really the right time to eat. Also just the whole idea of using cards and talking yourself through a situation before you do it, like a party, is a great idea- when i actually do it!
Old 10-30-2014, 02:14 AM   #242  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Do Not Go Gentle Into that Good Night

Coach-Buddies - another day without Halloween candy bars. Didn't think I would make it tonight, but knowing I had to post here did the trick. But I'm thinking that as much as an eating/exercise plan I need a time management plan - because when I get busy, exercise gets sliced off the to-do list. I KNEW this would be a busy month and was DETERMINED not to let plans go by the wayside. But they did.

Silverbirch, what's this I just read, the 100th (already?) anniversary of Dylan Thomas' birth? Oh, and telling us candy corn has carnuba wax is like telling a wine lover their drink contains sulfides. Ain't gonna change anything. But thanks for trying!

BBE - How great that the 100 lb bird-bath slab pleases you. Nice to enjoy the reward of all that hard work!

ChinaMaine - nice to 'meet' you. Glad the meds are helping and the move is over. Hope the divorce is not more stressful than it needs to be. Wow, 50 lbs down, that is great!

Nuxmaga - good luck with the insurance research. What a chore!

Curlypudge - what IS it that makes the evenings so hard? And if they weren't hard enough, reading karen's list of holiday baking -yum!- makes it more so.

(Glad your back is better, karen.)

nationalparker - glad the folks' house deal is nearly done. You write of it so poignantly. Why is it that pet dental and hair cuts cost so much more than our own? !

Lexxis - keep going! (And how do you NOT respond in kind to grumpiness? Tell us your secret.)

1x1 - That's amazing - going 9 weeks without sugar.

Gardenerjoy, OHHHHH garden tomatoes and eggplant. How wonderful! Work - cut yourself some slack. You had vacation, jet lag, the infamous procedure, and now getting back OP and Project Beck. Stuff will get done. Eventually.

Maryann, congrats on the Giants' Win!

Welcome, 3sisters!

Old 10-30-2014, 06:59 AM   #243  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome 3sisters

3sisters

And, in case you didn't get one of these two years ago,

How did you hear about "the Beck Solution?"

And how did you discover our Beck Forum here on 3FC?
Old 10-30-2014, 07:04 AM   #244  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Mischief Night (19th Century England)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included the library to return a stack of overdue books that a neighbor had 'lent' me to read before they were due for return. I'd kept them two days extra because I can't renew books on his card - which seems logical. So, the city got $3.80; that seems so tiny compared to the cost of keeping a library open. Just as yesterday, I walked without a jacket and even without a hat. This late Indian Summer is over; I can feel the cold outside through the windows as I type.

Food was OKish. I did stand down passing desires for Halloween candy - DW has the bags for us to give out in the pantry. I suppressed the desire to ask her to keep them in her underwear drawer until Friday night; she doesn't understand people who don't just choose what they eat.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat "what's still hanging around in my garden (tomatoes, eggplant, basil, parsley)" - love being reminded that you keep yours going as long as the weather tolerates. Ouch for the burden of emails - a socialization that doesn't end when the sun sets.

silverbirch – Do you ever do a protein shake after your strength workouts? I tend to have one, but don't know what difference it makes since I don't suffer from the protein deficiency that you mention. [Carnuba wax indeed - that's awful.]

maryann - World Series Champions! Congrats to your guys for the third time in five years.

nationalparker – You got me with Pioneer Woman's cake eyeballs - that does look like a lot of work. It oughta be illegal to hand out individual bags of Halloween candy at the office - there should be some safe place.

Karen (karenrn) - Just another breathtakingly beautiful hike - what a good life.

curlypudge - Kudos for the exercise. [Cold grilled salmon over fresh salad is just the best.]

Mountain Mamma - Thanks for bringing us a Dylan Thomas thought. Kudos for one more day avoiding the Halloween candy.

3sisters - What 'spoke' to me was "Hunger is not an emergency." It bent my mind that I was responding as if I had no choice and eating to make sure that the feeling of hunger never arose. It took me a few years to realize that I could walk out into the woods for a few hours and that it wouldn't matter if I felt hungry before I returned - there would be food then. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 25 Identify Sabotaging Thoughts

common diet-related sabotaging thoughts
To help you identify your sabotaging thoughts, here are examples of common thoughts among the dieters I've consulted:
I really want it.
I'm really hungry.
I have no willpower.
It's not that fattening.
I'll make up for it later.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 193.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #245  
Green Tomatoes

Credit for eating more slowly yesterday. Credit for putting in enough exercise minutes to bring my goal for the month within easy striking distance.

I'm resisting Success Skill 6, Overcome Hunger, Cravings and Emotional Eating, with its whole series of hunger exercises. I'd like to skip them on the theory that I did these before and I don't need to do them again. Unfortunately, Dr Yoni (The Diet Fix) steered me wrong in this area. He preached that one should never allow oneself to be hungry. Does that really work? My imagination is way too good and can declare myself hungry when I'm clearly not. So. I need new brain pathways in this area and the best way to develop them is to follow this chapter to the letter. Hunger is not an emergency was one of the most helpful things I learned the first time through.

Experiment 1 is to delay lunch and to record all the times when I wish I could eat until I experience actual hunger.

WI: +0.5 kg, Exercise: +45 735/800 minutes for October, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 10-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #246  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Quick check in today since i know I'll be up late with the treat making/decorating. The eyeballs came out GREAT! DH emailed and said he was going to be working and treats would be great! So, I allotted the ones from last night to him to take in and will make more for my office tonight. They were a mess and hard to make but the end result was pretty cool I ended up just smashing up oreos which took me a half hour and I have another game plan for accomplishing that tonight. I don't have a food processor and oreo crumbs are from one side of my kitchen to the other. I swear, if something happens at my house that brings the cops, I'm going to claim someone ransacked my kitchen. Swear.

Scale is getting alarmingly high. Lunch after volunteering gig was Subway chopped salad, so credit there! I can reverse this trend, thank you for the reminder that I'm not out of control. Every choice can support or derail me.

GardenerJoy - quick line to say that I like your idea of noting when you are thinking you should eat, but aren't hungry. I think I'll try that. I know I turn to look for a snack at my desk when stressed. I have that sign, what you're looking for isn't here (just an index card) but it's a reminder...
Old 10-30-2014, 05:00 PM   #247  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Today I had a meeting with the Italian Department at the University. Early this morning I realised that every time I’ve been to their building recently I feel cronky and out of shape. I decided that doing my warm-up exercises (say 35 minutes) before I went would do me no harm. In fact it made a huge difference, I noticed, as I hacked across the car park which is at such a peculiar angle that whichever way you cross it your ankles feel odd, and as I walked up to the third floor and as I walked back down again. Credit! And now I’m wondering whether it would be possible to fit these exercises in early every morning. It might mean getting up earlier which is not so good. Having enough sleep/rest is an essential part of my weight loss plan.

I quite understand that hunger is not an emergency, in the main. I do sometimes get wobbly without regular food, though, and the SO gets very wobbly indeed so I don’t go along with it as a Tablet of Stone. I also find that I have to eat regularly to stop trouble brewing later on in the day. Today I ate breakfast but missed my mid-morning snack. I ate it when I could but lunch went a little awry. I forgot to eat my mid-afternoon snack and then making the evening meal went a little awry. All in all, I’ve eaten more than planned today which I put down to unexpected exercise this morning (but it was good!), snack 1 being too late and snack 2 being forgotten. Lesson: prepare these snacks in advance in the morning. Credit for thinking round this problem! Gardenerjoy, your comments about how you see this are very interesting and quite different from mine.

I log my weight every morning and plan my food. Credit! Now it’s expanded to making a few notes for this evening post. That takes the form of what I hope to achieve in the day. Less than a list of duties, responsibilities and errands, it’s really four or five obligations and aspirations. See the Italians (obligation), plan and shop for evening meal (aspiration), cut back some lavender (aspiration), do some painting (aspiration). What actually happened today was that I saw, really saw, that I could go outside into the beautiful autumn late afternoon and complete something essential in putting the garden to bed for the winter. So I just went outside, got down on my hands and knees and cut back the lavender! Credit, credit, credit!

No painting today. The DB finished a wall and I decided that my day had been full enough and I could fit in two stints of painting tomorrow.

WI: down 0.75lb. Check in: YES. Exercise: YES. Spontaneous exercise: YES, cardio car park and stairs. Planned food: YES.

karen, I love the word 'trail'. We don't use it here so it sounds so very exotic. (I think we use footpath instead.)

curlypudge, kudos for 'simple weight training' which I think is some of the best.

MountainMamma, word has just reached me about Dylan Thomas. I do think that Richard Burton reading him is very good. Yes, I did try with the carnauba wax but you're obviously a hard case. Good luck, it's almost over!

Bill, no re protein shakes. I did have a huge container of some once upon a time but it was so horrible I had to offload it onto another Ladies Who Lift UK member who seemed very grateful. (The Weight and Resistance Training board used to be Ladies Who Lift and was thriving for a number of years.) I used to get to the gymn at 8.30am and leave around 10.30am whereupon I would have an apple and some cottage cheese. As an inhabitant of the First World I obviously don't have a protein deficiency but I felt the protein/carb mixture was a good thing post workout. I still have the apple/cc but not going to the gymn has made that habit more fluid which is not a specially good thing.

nationalparker, you're right, every choice makes a difference. Those eyeballs sound quite horrible (that's the point, isn't it?).

OK, see you all tomorrow.

PS - it's just information but the reading on the scales was properly lower for the first time in the 10 days or so that I've been doing this. Could be the beginning of something more. I do hope so.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #248  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Lightbulb

Good afternoon coaches,

Well, my message just got eaten up and I think it was best for all of you. The Reader's Digest condensed version is I almost had to binge over the construction mess. Instead I called the contractor and they are cleaning the yard rather than leave it until Monday when they resume the stucco job.

Hiked Bell Pass this morning with a gal I just met from the McDowell Sonoran Preserve where we both volunteer. She is my same age, a recently retired nurse practitioner and lovely. Credit for exercise and meeting someone new. Food planned and within calories yesterday and today, credit for that too. Also, planked yesterday and today. On the to do list is resume more strength training and get my bike in for a check up.

Welcome China Maine I can't remember if I welcomed you before, if not welcome now!

Welcome 3Sisters I am fairly new here myself and still get people mixed up, but it's coming along and it is helpful to keep me focused.

Curly pudge Your salmon salad sounded so good that I baked some salmon earlier today and put it in the fridge. I'm looking forward to my salmon salad for dinner.

Nationalparker I'm so impressed with your Halloween treat making. Sounds like a lot of work but a cute idea. When rereading your note from a couple of days ago when you spoke with your brother it about makes me tear up just remembering the feelings. Grief is so hard and seems to wax and wane for years. So nice that you have a brother you are close to.

Mountain Momma Good for you for resisting the candy. And I hear you on letting the exercise go to the wayside. I have lots of time, but if I'm not pretty regimented about it 1 day turns into 2 and so on. You will get back to it though and it will feel great.

Gardener Joy I'll be interested to see how Skill 6 goes for you. I never did try it and I almost eat by the clock. Luckily when I don't have something available I use the "Hunger is not an emergency" line and it seems to work.

Silverbirch I love the idea of going outside and putting the garden to bed for the winter. With your busy day you do get, credit, credit, credit. The only gardening I do here in Arizona is a few pots. I did some gardening for my good friend when I was in Washington and really enjoyed it.

Bill All your talk of the library is getting me thinking that I need to get there and get a lesson on how to download books. I went for a lesson once, but they had a dozen customers with many different devices, and it didn't go so smoothly. I think I'd like to get some audio books for when I hike alone. I listen to podcasts and music, but I think books would be great. I'd be getting a two for one.

Also, I hear you about asking your wife to keep the candy in her underwear drawer. I have wanted to ask my husband to keep things in the trunk of his car, but I was always to embarrassed to ask him.

More tomorrow,

Karen
Old 10-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #249  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Devil's Night

BBE - Love your Beck thought list: "I have no willpower + I really want it = I'll make up for it later" Hoo boy, who hasn't done that.

Karen - Re libraries. I check out some books & may have to renew a time or two - which brings me to my problem with Ebooks. No auto renewal (at least not at my library). Twice I have been reading late at night and *poof* my book disappears - midnight has come! A bit unnerving!! Hang in there with the construction project. Happy for your having a new hiking buddy.

nationalparker - you'll have to post a pic of those eyeballs. Without a food processor - what a lot of work.

silverbirch - Richard Burton reading just about anything is pretty good! Truthfully, I don't like Candy Corn but some close to me have a problem with it. I'm damned if I buy it and damned if I don't!!

Gardenerjoy - the hunger sensation is complicated. On one hand it's true one can't think of every pang as an emergency. But on the other it's diet-dangerous to get too hungry. So both authors have a point, don't you think?

Gotta run. Still no 'real' exercise but eating OP. I hope no one was thinking I was trivializing DT - I used the line not due to Halloween but because I had just read an article about him. Died at just 33. Yikes.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #250  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches- don't know if i should keep posting at night, i'm so tired i keep reading the same post over and over without anything sinking in, but probably won't have time tomorrow. I have a work related breakfast, where i will try to avoid the sweet things, then the rest of the day is consumed with various things including Halloween.
We ate some candy for dessert- hopefully this will keep me from going crazy on it tomorrow while handing it out, and then it is gone! except for the kids stash, but as others have said they know when the tiniest piece has been taken, so i'll have to be good!
DH needs to visit his mom this weekend who is 4.5 hours away; she is having some big physical problems suddenly. I suspect this is going to be an issue for the next few months, and i hope we can talk her ultimately into leaving her very inaccessible home. Looks like it is the year of elders with one thing and another!
Waving to all!
Old 10-30-2014, 10:23 PM   #251  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello again! Finished my projects and decided against the bat cupcakes, so I'm done early. Ended up eating and LOVING one of the eyeballs and have 60 or so to go in to work. I hope they all go because I don't want to bring them home. If I do, I'm taking them to a neighbor's! Plan B. Dinner was OP. I "think" today I was on track calorie wise closely but haven't put it in MFP yet. DH and I will join others in our neighborhood planting new trees along a road that leads into the side of our community (near our home) ... they were all cut down last week due to ash borer (?). Looks desolate. Will be COLD to me but know it's nothing to OneByOne! Are you getting frozen out up there in Canada yet??

Silverbirch - Starting your day at the "Italian building" sounds wonderful to me. I don't know what that entails, but I picture a gorgeous building The eyeballs are gross, you're right! hee hee... Last year I made chopped off witch's fingers and they particularly grossed out one of my coworkers ... http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...r-cookies.html ... it's this time of year that I wish I had a seven-year-old son to collaborate with!

Karen - Your hikes always sound so fascinating. You're living a retirement life that I long for! Great news that your new hiking partner is friendly. Hope you and she can meet up when it works for you. I just learned how to download audiobooks last month. Good luck with that - if you can't figure it out, I'm sure someone on here can assist with a private message. I can try giving directions if you use an MP3 player. (and can ask DH if it's to go onto a phone...)

MountainMamma - GREAT job staying out of the Halloween candy! Kudos! You're wrapping up a strong month!

Bill - I'm with you - I never mind a late fine on a library book - I always ask if I can pay more and keep a credit but they won't do that for me. Nice librarians at "mine" ... one I pass on the way home from work - high poverty area and they are so kind to the kids there. I need to remember them this holiday season. It makes me feel welcome that some know my name and ask about items I'm returning.

CurlyPudge - I'm with you on waiting out Halloween and all the food that it seems to entail (and I'm a guilty party myself of making stuff!)... hopefully we can ace the first few weeks of November and get in a good groove!

Last edited by nationalparker; 10-30-2014 at 10:24 PM. Reason: removing some smileys - I went overboard.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:51 PM   #252  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Tracked food - credit. Grouted in the studio - credit. Had coffee with a friend which helped with the stress of my father having major surgery today. My sister let me know he came through fine. Talked to the insurance broker and applied for short term insurance - now I have to wait to hear if I am approved. Had an impulse to get potato chips, and not sure what my sabotaging thoughts were, just that I was thinking of chips, and feeling stressed. Maybe the idea that it was inevitable?

BBE - I read last night that candy corn was introduced to promote "corn sugar" to the public. I always feel guilty when I have overdue books because of my library degree.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:25 AM   #253  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Halloween

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Good walk, CREDIT moi, in temperatures appropriate for October, past workers removing dead branches from a street tree and stuffing them in the giant chipper. I do love that chipper - so big, brutal, mechanical. In a building with a three story atrium, I watched a worker use a one-person personal lift to rise from the first floor to replace the light fixture on the ceiling of the third floor. Now I want one of those, too. I'm easy to please.

Food was OK. I had cantaloupe for evening snack over the choice of leftover cake. DW wasn't home; I find it easier to have a small-sized piece of cake if we're both serving ourselves. I'm prone to think that whatever is left should be declared a single serving in order to get rid of it.

Yikes! I just lost all the personals that I typed and now gotta run. Have a sane Halloween everyone.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 25 Identify Sabotaging Thoughts

common diet-related sabotaging thoughts
To help you identify your sabotaging thoughts, here are examples of common thoughts among the dieters I've consulted:
It'll go to waste if I don't eat it.
I should eat it because it's free.
Everyone else is eating.
I don't want to disappoint or inconvenience [fill in the blank].
I'm stressed/tired/sad/bored/upset.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 193.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #254  
Green Tomatoes

Credit for making a form to help me keep track of my strength-training routine -- and then using it!

Credit for doing the first hunger experiment. I determined that I'm still pretty bad at detecting hunger vs non-hunger, but somewhat improved from the first time. So there's still hope, but I'm glad that I have other tools to rely on.

Credit for weighing myself this morning even though I felt bloated from last night's stir-fry. Since the number is down, I learned that I can't tell what I weigh by how I feel.

Credit for eating slowly yesterday, even with chop sticks. I used to eat slower with chop sticks, but that hasn't been true for a long time. Fortunately, putting down the chop sticks between bites works just as well as with a fork.

Experiment 2 of the hunger experiments is the one that requires no eating between breakfast and supper. That's not practical today or tomorrow. Maybe Sunday.

Today should be a good day for Experiment 3 -- to monitor whether fullness sets in 20 minutes after a meal, even one that is consumed too quickly. I'll try it at lunch and supper, setting the timer on my phone to see if it's true.

I've got a busy day -- we may get a hard freeze over night and that makes a to do list that has little to do with what I thought I would be doing today!

WI: -0.2 kg, Exercise: +25 760/800 minutes for October, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Mountain_Mammma and others: This has been my experience, too:

Quote:
On one hand it's true one can't think of every pang as an emergency. But on the other it's diet-dangerous to get too hungry. So both authors have a point, don't you think?
But I need a bit of help on the "hunger is not an emergency" side of things, right now. When things are going well, I eat by the clock, like karenrn, and I rarely allow myself to get very hungry, like silverbirch.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:36 AM   #255  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches! About all I can say this morning is that I am up and I'm thinking about my food choices for today. Exercise will be at the pool. Life continues to be super busy as I am trying to negotiate a new lease with a new client for a laundromat which is turning over the first of the year. I'm finding that my lack of Internet here is being extremely inconvenient to me. I think I need to work on a better solution for that.

I made the best choices I could yesterday and the day before. I'm really really thinking about my whole program right now because a lot of things just seem to be getting crazier. I'm here until Sunday then drive over and back to work. My sister flies in Wednesday morning for her birthday and for her treatments. I will get through this, I know. Beck has taught me that
Closed Thread