Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:23 PM   #181  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi all,

Ate on plan and healthy today. Grateful.

I am terribly shocked about what happened in my beautiful hometown Ottawa today. So sad for the loss of the soldier and also the loss of the soldier in Quebec on Monday.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #182  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post
I am terribly shocked about what happened in my beautiful hometown Ottawa today. So sad for the loss of the soldier and also the loss of the soldier in Quebec on Monday.
Yes, we were quite sad to hear about it.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:08 AM   #183  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - National Mole Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – On plan eating again with no snacks, CREDIT moi. A third day on plan feels good. Dinner was large but all vegetarian from a pot luck. With no meat and no liquid calories I still do OK. My thoughts are with our Canadian friends dealing with the Ottawa shootings.

Walked, CREDIT moi, in the rain with an umbrella. The wet flora at end of season isn't attractive; it does trigger the nesting instinct. Here's the link to explain National Mole Day should anyone here not be a chemist who instinctively sees October 23 as 10^23 which triggers Avogadro's Number. Love of puns is not a handicap in life.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Always Kudos for accepting today's reality.

CeeJay - Kudos both for on plan and for being grateful. Sending supportive thoughts for the tragedy striking your neat hometown.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Gotta love the way you face the rapid changing situations, "but fortunately I can plan ahead for it."

silverbirch"It's harder than you think" - Yep, my mind wouldn't create enough headlines to provide sufficient food to survive.

nationalparker – That's a new word for me, so here's a recipe for Cowboy Caviar. Have a fun drive to Niagara Falls. Do stop at Tim Horton's and let us know what all the fuss is about. And stop at a Canadian Tire and let us know if they really sell everything under the sun.

Karen (karenrn) - Ninety minutes hikes are great - Kudos. And Kudos for choosing a vet who recognizes that you can pull out a stethoscope to listen to your dog's heart.

curlypudge - Kudos for accepting the reality that ageing even happens to those we love. I had to hide my face so no one would see the tear when I left the home that I grew up in for the last time.

Mountain Mamma - Kudos for choosing a DH who recognizes that eating when you can't is awkward. [My off-plan snacks are usually dried fruit and nuts - as if healthy food doesn't have calories even if taken by the handful.]

Readers -
Quote:
Day 25 Identify Sabotaging Thoughts

As I've mentioned before, eating doesn't happen automatically. Before you take that first bite of something you didn't plan to eat, you almost always have a thought or a series of thoughts. Once you identify and respond to those thoughts, you'll be better able to control your eating.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 192.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #184  
Green Tomatoes

Running late today, so I'm not moving ahead in the green book. I'll be satisfied with resurrecting my one-line report now that I've weighed 2 days in a row and have something to report. The goal of 800 minutes for October was set on the 12th and I'm well on the road to meeting it.

WI: -0.3 kg, Exercise: +45 440/800 minutes for October, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Thinking about our members across the border to North. Having just returned from London that rather specializes in soldiers standing in prominent places, I'm particularly sad about the soldier who died while honoring the war memorial.

BillBlueEyes: I love that this is National Mole Day! And have the vaguest of memories about Avogadro and his number.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #185  

S/C/G: SW162/CW159.8/GW125

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning Coaches,

Greetings from LA. I have been lurking for the last several days. I am aware this behavior is not constructive (does not strengthen the community or my resolve to reach my goals). Though, beating myself up about it is also not constructive. So that is over. I am currently stalled out on Day 8 of the pink book. I will be getting back to it today.

I had a good four or so days on plan last week. However, Saturday through Tuesday were off the rails. The final push to finish my course project on Sunday (I am a Ph.D. student) was stressful, though I have been through it so many times before. I have this week off (though not from my job) and it is nice to take a break from dissertation work. I start a new course on Monday.

I was having a stomach issue on Sunday and Monday that made it hard to eat anything. So, naturally, I went for the comfort carbs. Over the past few days, I have also been struggling with a strange dry lip issue. They are cracked and swollen and it hurts quite a bit to open my mouth, put a water bottle to my lips. I have tried Aquaphor, Vaseline, Neutrogena Lip Therapy, Coconut Oil, anti-allergy medication, and now am trying Aloe. It just seems to be getting worse. My lips do usually feel a bit dry, but it is not a dire, painful issue like this. So weird, though not all that surprising as I seem to be the queen of weird health issues that are mildly threatening and embarrassing. I am focusing on eating a ton of water-heavy veggies and have upped my water intake from 100 to 128 ounces per day. I have to hope this goes away soon as I look like a cross between one of those scary ladies who has overdone the lip filler and a 7-year-old who got in a fight with a bee hive.

On the credit side, I did put in solid workouts on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday and had a combined mileage of about 21 miles on the treadmill for those days. I usually go to my gym every other day and walk on the treadmill for two hours. This tactic works for me because I start to resent my gym shoes and dread going to the gym if I go every day. This gets me to the goal of six hours of moderate to heavy exercise per week with only less actual travel, prep, laundry, and shower time invested.

The exception to the schedule is when I have time off, like this week. I tend to go more frequently at these times as it feels kind of indulgent to be there for as long as I want. It is 'me' time. Plus, it is great spot for fit people-watching. Some of the most fit people on Earth go to my gym and sometimes the effect is aspirational. The people that go may be naturally thin, but they have all invested in their health and train hard. I caught some conversation with a group of 'regulars' in the women's locker room the other day. It was the evening and I heard a few saying the class they were about to take was their second of the day (they took a morning class before work as well). Wow. Just Wow. These were adult, professional women. That is some real dedication. Though, I do not think I will end up going that route (also I hate exercise classes), it is motivating nonetheless. If one of these women can workout twice per day, I can certainly get my behind there every other day.

So, that is where I am. I will make healthy choices today. Thank you for reading!

Dash
Old 10-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #186  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

A short check in today. I get credit for the hike I did yesterday, but not for the food. I fell off the beer wagon. Stayed within calories until I decided I needed a piece of cinnamon toast for desert. Oh well, moving on today. No exercise today, too much to do. It is still so warm during the day here that I have to get out the door early if I plan on a hike. Today I did a couple of hours of ironing and I have at least a couple of hours of Spanish homework before class this afternoon.

I too was so sorry to hear about the tragedy in Canada. My thoughts are with our northern neighbors.

Good day to all.

Karen
Old 10-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #187  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Another day with little time. I’ve managed to wind up a fairly large project with good feelings on, I hope, all sides. I’ve been asked, out of the blue, to teach a final year translation class at the local university (Italian to English). That should be fun but I think I should brush up my Italian. Not sure when I’m going to find the time to do that. Will it eat into the almost negligible time I had put aside for Beck stuff? And what about all the other pressing duties and responsibilities which can’t be put aside?
Food did not work out well today. Problem with the microwave at work.
So today I’m checking in with you all – credit!
Must go as I have to get to work to skype BC. Really, it’s too late for me but it’s the morning for him (as you know)!
Weighed myself this morning! Credit!
Will try out gardenerjoy’s one liner.
Weight: no change.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #188  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

Just caught up on all the posts. Start personals tomorrow.

Some health issues are bringing me down. My daily med was lost in the mail and I have had to go without for four days. Bummer to mess around with my body. On top of that struggling while I establish my new sleep routine. And now i have done something to my back - in tears yesterday with the pain, still stiff and sore today.

My food is characterized as "hanging in there" trying to maintain while I get my feet back under me. Credit for logging in my food. Credit for going to a fancy steakhouse and keeping to veggies and a little bread. I hope to be back to my old self tomorrow.

Last edited by maryann; 10-23-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #189  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Arrow hi everyone

Coaches

Credit for still no sugar but the rest of the food plan is weakening. Some compulsive behaviour is returning around standing getting the meal ready and so I get a bit of food x and gobble it down right before I eat my meal. What the heck I have done this a few days in a row now. I need to just walk away or reinforce I don't do that kind of thing.

No, what I need to do is to make a written foodplan. That's what I need to do. I need to full-on commit. I will do this.

I am exhausted tonight. My mother got her walker today. She was thrilled with it but then was flummoxed that the walker was to accompany her everywhere from here on out. She wanted to walk me out to the front door, but looked totally confused and frightened that she couldn't just do that, she had to use the walker too. She's been walking holding the handrails in the place and she does ok but when I saw how tall she can stand with the walker, well it has to be better for her body to use that. Anyway, it's only day one. Eventually she'll just reach for it I guess. I hope.

Our car is back on the road too and the bill, while high, wasn't that bad considering how much was covered and what we had done. I'm happy to be back on the road again.

I have to get some rest. Have a good evening.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:08 AM   #190  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - United Nations Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Out walking, CREDIT moi, I missed the partial solar eclipse because it rained all day with cloud cover. Drat! I think seeing the moon take a bite out of the sun is just the greatest. I did take a second walk to the library to pick up a book written by a friend of mine that I just learned about. It takes guts to write the details of a family business being sold long after the founder is dead but family tensions remain in full.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, for the fourth day in a row. My walk to the library was partially as a distraction because the walnuts in my pantry were calling my name. I recently read another study suggesting that walnuts stave off Alzheimer’s which just feels right because walnuts have an uncanny resemblance to the brain.

onebyone – Congrats for making progress with your mother's walker - even as she still has some adjusting to do. Wonderful to hear that your car is back in your service for a price that you can accept. Sending supportive thoughts for your "full-on commit."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for the return of the one line report.

silverbirch – Sounds neat to teach a translation class - since I assume that translating is another step harder than speaking or reading a language.

maryann - Yep, "hanging in there" is just the right course when the ground drops out from beneath our feet. Hope the pain gets back under control.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for the attach by cinnamon toast; Kudos for recovery and moving forward.

DashMB77 - Kudos for some serious gym time - two hours on the treadmill is certainly more than most. Wish you well in finding the right salve for the lips - even while LOL at like a "7-year-old who got in a fight with a bee hive."

Readers -
Quote:
Day 25 Identify Sabotaging Thoughts

Think About It
Carry your diet notebook and a pen (or your PDA) with you for a few days. Mark down your sabotaging thoughts as you identify them. You might not always notice these thoughts right away because your attention might be focused on how you're feeling. If you notice that you're tempted to eat something that you're not supposed to eat, ask yourself, What was just going through my mind? or What was I just thinking?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 192.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #191  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!

A quick check in today. I'm working five days straight starting today. My coworker is in Florida and doesn't want to come home. Go figure that. I followed my plan yesterday excepting for 2 small candies at my evening meeting. Ouch. I did resist any other of plan treats. Credit for that. Exercise was 6 1/2 hours of yardwork. That achieve my goal of cleaning up the yard before spring. I feel good about that.

Take care everyone I need to go make my smoothie.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #192  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

A brief check in today that we arrived at the Canadian side of Niagara Falls and our tiny motel a mere 13 hours after we left on the 8 1/2 hour trip. DH likes a good road trip - me, not as much. But all went fine until stuck for more than an hour and a half in a three-mile stretch of Michigan, and a few other delays. Sobering to see all of the flags at half staff ... just so unimaginable the violence today.

On the UP side (scale, calories, mood?) I didn't have to look hard to find a Tim Horton's! ha ha - I said to DH we're going to hit one while we're here...that's all i hear about - Tim Horton's! So ... dinner was panini from there and i thought mine was 1,000 calories since I overestimate. Checked and it was actually 530 calories. THAT I can live with since I clearly burned thousands of calories driving. Oh well, I'm good with it. Bought a donut for dessert treat and actually didn't care for it, so sabotaging wife that I am, declared it "odd" and DH tried a few bites, not caring for it either, so we threw it out. Now I am "owed" one more donut so I can have one I like. I can tell I'd better get my rear in gear and hoof it a lot this weekend. Sabotaging thoughts galore.

Dash - Good to see you here - just a quick line to say, I'd check with an allergy dr or something like that bc I had an allergic reaction to something one time and it did that and everything I added to it made it worse. GOOD LUCK. I know we don't come here for medical advice, etc., but it might be worth the $ to get something Rx to clear it up.

Last edited by nationalparker; 10-24-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #193  
Green Tomatoes

Quick check-in today. Tomorrow, I'll manage a longer one and more progress in the Green Book.

WI: +0.3 kg, Exercise: +45 485/800 minutes for October, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

DashMB77: I second nationalparker's advice. A Facebook friend just developed an allergy to a common lip balm ingredient -- so, of course, everything she tried made it worse.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #194  
in development

I’ve given myself more time today. Credit! The weather has been still and dry so I’ve spent a little time clearing up the front garden before winter. It’s late to cut back the lavender but it has to be done. I want to get rid of the mombretia and move the bears’ britches, cut back the box. There’s still lots to do.

Food is still out of kilter. I’m working on it. Credit! If I have any nuts I now only have three which I think is a good and healthy number. Credit! I am still eating too many carbs for my kind of weight loss. They’re not rubbish but there are too many of them. I’m going to focus on ‘no supper with the DB’. Cutting this out completely and utterly has been key to any of my previous weight loss success. Credit for thinking this through and telling my coaches!

No sign of the green book yet. I think I’ll use some old business cards to write out advantages and responses cards. You may remember I used to have them on the phone but after a while they didn’t work any more, even though I revamped them quite regularly. Perhaps I’ll have both - in fact, that sounds like a good idea.

I’m writing this during the dangerous late afternoon. I think I’ll try posting to you all during this time. It’s going to go some way towards keeping me away from eating before or whilst making tea. Credit for seeing this potentially powerful tool!

WI: down 1lb. Check in: yes. Exercise: yes. Spontaneous exercise: gardening. Planned food: partly.

maryann, very well done for hanging in there without your daily med. And much sympathy about your back. I find ibuprophen works well + a cold pack for just after the injury.

onebyone, you're quite right, a written daily foodplan is a good way forward. I'm not quite there yet. Good news about the walker. Standing up straighter has to be better for your mother.

Bill, that's bad news about the walnuts. I hope I didn't jinx you by talking about your tree nut phase. I ate three (3) today, thinking of your ironclad will as I did so. You can do it! Yes, translation is harder than speaking or reading but it's so wonderful to do. I've always loved it. It's one of those excellent things that you get better at as you grow older. (You've heard that Agatha Christie used to say how wonderful it was to be married to an archaeologist - Max Mallowan - as he became more interested in her the older she got.)

Lexxiss, good going on your yard. It's such a nice feeling to have everything sorted out before winter. Oh, I've just seen that you wrote 'before spring' - you're ahead of me there!

nationalparker, hope you're having a lovely time away from home.

gardenerjoy, good to see you check in. I've borrowed your one liner idea. I think it might work well for me. Thanks.

Hello and goodbye to everyone else! I must go and assemble something delicious. It's going to be lasagne, with bolognaise sauce made by the SO yesterday and white sauce made by me and frozen 10 days or so ago. Broccoli will be the greens. (We have greens almost every night. I've convinced myself that eating them is the reason that the generation ahead of me in my family is so healthy. It's a good conviction to have, I think, and I love them!)
Old 10-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #195  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Back a little better. I have a massage today so hopefully it might reduce the soreness. Took care of some paperwork this morning early and tried to ignore I slept less than 6 hours. I am justing pursuing this sleep rate program assuming it knows better than me. I would do better assuming Beck knows better than me and follow that program with as much diligence. Willingness is the key.

Food plan is committed.

nationalparker: I can't wait to take the boys to Niagara Falls. How terrific.
onebyone: Yes standing while eating is my nemesis. It is a sign I have made a decision to overeat.
silverbirch: Thinking about it, the last big weight loss was not eating dinner with the family. I sat there with hot tea but I din't consume.

Last edited by maryann; 10-24-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Closed Thread