Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #151  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - International Peace Day (UN, 1981)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Family was unbelievably good to one another to make choice encounters and lasting memories. Yay for family at its best. Got some pleasant fall walks, CREDIT moi - once encountering a flock of about 25 Turkeys casually wandering about.

My eating was occasionally rational, occasionally on plan, and occasionally flowed with the environment. As usual, I kept liquid calories to a minimum to help with the total picture. Ouch and CREDIT moi. The B&B where we stayed had a Keurig coffee maker set up so that my early rising was well serviced. Among the old, odd, and unusual books in its many bookshelves, I discovered a 44-year-old copy of Love Story which so delighted me remembering its first line, "What can you say about a twenty-five-year-old girl who died." Yay for the sixties and the flower child love capers of the times.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – So now I know about "the West Lothian question" - sounds so much fun to be reading from the inside.

CeeJay - Kudos for sticking to your health efforts.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – I understand "Back to HDepot around lunch" - multiple trips for everything.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Kudos for advancing with your steroid plan - hope the stopping doesn't cause too much discomfort.

maryann - I, too, find it hard to set the table for myself alone - even when I consistently sitting down.

nationalparker – Thinking about your friend going to Italy for two weeks. Congrats on a scale that settles down.

Karen (karenrn) - Welcome home to Arizona. I know about the comfort of a bit of routine.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Yep, Kudos indeed for measuring that syrup - it's so easy to just keep pouring.

curlypudge - Yep, Kashi Heart to heart is seductive.

Readers -
Quote:
Day22 Say, Oh, Well, to Disappointment

Just Say, Oh, Well

Within a couple of days, he began to struggle less. Withing a week or two, he completely changed his mindset. He knew for certain that there were whole categories of food he couldn't have at all, but he accepted what he had to do and settled down.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 180.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

I have a sleep plan, having been assessed for five nights. Diagnosis is mild insomnia. Tell my DH it is mild. He is the one most suffering from the effects . Will start the plan tonite.

Food in MFP with light day fluids and chicken broth after a reasonable breakfast. Traveling up the hill to Tahoe tonite and back down to Drs. on Monday afternoon.

I would like a vacation from having to think about food today. This is my 9th week in logging everything into MFP. That is a miracle. I have lost 4 pounds during that time. Not even a half pound a week. But how would i feel this moment if for the last nine weeks I had taken a vacation from food planning? I would be weighing close to 170. I would be uncomfortable in clothes and miserable all around. So I guess my answer is forge ahead.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 09-21-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:46 PM   #153  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Chilly, windy, sunny, glorious day here. Invigorating. Caught up with my sister and my brother today - good, supportive conversations.

Bill - Welcome back! I was thinking you were out until tomorrow morning. Nice to return from a family event that was positive!

Maryann - Good luck tomorrow! Smart line of thinking - four pounds is better than none, and better yet than a gain! I'm much more accepting of the slow steady progress because of your wise acceptance.

GosfordGirl - I get so oddly confused when trying to figure out your seasons in regards to the school calendar! I'm normally not this dense. So when you are approaching the Christmas holidays, and it's summer there, do you have extended break? I can't even remember from last holiday!

Dreading work tomorrow but need to be thankful that I have a job to go to, reliable transportation to get me there, decent clothes to wear, and that I am capable of doing the job.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:26 AM   #154  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Monday night

Hi Coaches

Quick check in again. Need to talk to my sister about the sale of dad's house (what a trial as it has a non co-operative tenant in it who is being reasonably obstructive. I know - I am a tenant too and we have rights but they are being really difficult). And I need to do food and all that

Ate sitting down except for an exceptional apple (small Sundowner) as I walked to the car and drove home. It is something of a tradition to eat an apple as I walk the dogs or drive home and savour the apple. I do like it and it punctuates the day. I have only recently decided that even though it has lots of carbs the health benefits outweigh that downside.

Gym tomorrow; 9000 steps today so far; ate to plan; weighed (static at the moment); checked in - Credit moi

BillBlueEyes - glad to hear you had a good family experience. I liked "My eating was occasionally rational, occasionally on plan, and occasionally flowed with the environment." I am not totally sure how off plan flowing with the environment is but for me it could be very bad

Maryann - hope the sleep plan helps. I look at my sleep from the Fitbit Flex and it is very disturbing. Last night for example I went to bed @ 9.39 got up at 5.31 am and had 6.35 hrs sleep - awake x 1 for 15 mins; restless 18 x for 47 mins. Fairly typical that I need to be in bed for 9 hours to get 7 hours sleep. Not sure why - I drop straight off but wake many times. I have even started trying melatonin. I don't feel concerned about it but the literature says I "should" be. Glad you are getting on top of it

Nationalparker - I have enjoyed stories of your meals on the balcony and the weather turning, and evenings walks, and your new clothes. When you think southern hemisphere just think the opposite. My students are back from clinical experience not holidays ATM. Our "summer" vacation is in Summer and extends from late November to late February. Midyear vacation is for July basically. Our academic year runs March to November inclusive with a break in middle - not from September. Our Spring started at the beginning of September; but in fact our "Sprinter" started in August and our "Sprummer" will start in October before Summer in December according to Tim Entwistle who thinks that in Australia we should have 5 seasons!

Take care coaches
Old 09-22-2014, 06:00 AM   #155  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Business Women's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Today begins post family event time - the last house guests leave at 10 a.m. this morning. Then the stack of stuff that was put off to make room for a long weekend can get done. Yay for normal.

Neither eating nor exercise was what I wished. Ouch. I spent so much of my time assuring that conversation flowed forward when it was looking for the old family crevasses to fall into. So the weekend is coming to an end with much joy that is possible at such gatherings and without the kind of pain that can also happen. CREDIT moi for recognizing that I was the one to work toward making that happen.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Had to google Sundowner Apple to discover, "Sundowner is the lesser-known sibling of Pink Lady." We have Pink Lady around here. I, too, like my apples. Ouch for an obstructive tenant. Our tenant protection laws in Massachusetts are VERY strong; I understand your frustration.

maryann - Kudos for nine weeks of your MFP logging. I really like, "So I guess my answer is forge ahead."

nationalparker – So glad that you can have supportive conversations with both your sister and your brother. Neat that you keep the perspective that you're grateful that you have your job to go to.

Readers -
Quote:

Just Say, Oh, Well

The same can happen to you. I don't think it'll happen as quickly, but the more you work toward acceptance, the faster you'll achieve peace of mind about what you have to do. You can't stop your sabotaging thoughts from arising, but you can respond to them. When you notice such thoughts as, It's not fair that I can't eat this, or There must be an easier way, just say to yourself, Oh, well. Or in other words, I don't like this but I'm going to accept it and move on. Doing so eliminates the struggle, helps you feel better, and allows you to focus your attention elsewhere.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 09-23-2014 at 05:38 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:13 AM   #156  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!

I'm still here and plugging ahead. Food has been good excepting Friday night when I didn't eat off plan foods but ate too much. That was my signal to get back on track and think things through a little more and I have done that through the weekend.

Life is crazy busy and certainly has some stress involved right now. I really noticed this morning that when I stick with my approved foods in normal quantities that I have a peace with myself even as things are not so calm around me. Credit for that.

Work was very busy yesterday as all the people were coming up to check out the fall leaves i'm so grateful that I'm capable of doing my job these days as I really like it.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 09-22-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #157  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches-
just a quick hello. In between feeling a little low and having a visitor for a few days, I got off track a bit, but not too much food damage. Visitor was 73 year old very healthy aunt who has always been thin, and definitely keeps track of her food, in a way that I understand/appreciate more after having read Beck- but still drives me slightly batty in the way she does it-ah, family!
DH is off tromping in the woods by himself for a few days, so I am off duty making dinner, and will just give the kids whatever and have informal dinner. It can be easier to eat less when we do that, and its nice to have a change in routine!
Have read everyones posts, waving to all!
Old 09-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #158  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

Bill So nice to hear that your weekend included family at its best. I can't say that never happens for me, it just depends which family members are included.

Maryann I hope your sleep plan works well. I find I often have an hour or two to solve the problems of the world or say my prayers once I've gotten up to go to the bathroom. Last night I made plans for the calls I need to make today to get some things taken care of around the house.

Yesterday was my birthday. I think I'm going to go backwards to 59 for the year. I'll just to 62 next year to get my National Parks Pass. There just doesn't seem to be any benefit to being 61. I took the day off exercise and added a couple of beers but no sweets and other food was on plan. It's Monday, my favorite day of the diet week. I have 3 weeks until I go to NYC for 5 days for a friend. Plan is to stay really on plan with food and exercise. I WILL get a couple of pounds off so clothes is comfortable.

Hello to everyone and have a great week!
Old 09-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #159  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Waiting for window washer up here in Tahoe. Embarrassed to say this is the first time we have had the windows washed since we bought it five years ago.

Credit for planning out the two days of fast(today and tomorrow) it will be five hundred calories of fruits veggies and protein. Also credit for using my heart monitor to track calories burned on my abbreviated mountain walk. There is an impressive fire trail I go straight up at one point. 26 mins - 180 calories. That never happens in the gym. Yeah for motivation that comes with the outdoors.

Super huge, colossal big week. Did I mention it is huge? Probably my two toughest responsibilities, two days apart. I have to remind myself it is one day at a time and it will be what it will be. I can't control other people seeing to their responsibilities and I certainly won't eat over it. As a good rancher friend of our says, "The sun will come up tomorrow."
Old 09-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #160  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi Coaches!

I'm still plugging along, still reading, still doing the exercises. Though I DID skip yesterday's chapter - Alcohol. Not a problem for me...can't drink and don't want to. Think I skipped it last time I did Beck as well because I have no notes in my book, lol.

My sleep has been terrible for the last couple of weeks. I finally received my SleepRate on Friday and tested it out Saturday and last night. I've got the data back from that, but my activation code did not work so, I'll start the real testing tonight.

Edited to add: Oh, and I've been trying to do at least one thing every day to get in extra steps. Doesn't have to be much, just any old effort to get in a few more steps. I was especially proud of Saturday...needed to go to two stores across the street from one another. I parked close to the one, then walked across the street to the other, put my purchases in the trunk, then went into the store I parked close to (though really not that close to the door...just closer to the store, lol).

Last edited by new2me2; 09-22-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #161  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Okay day today - light lunch and heavier dinner... including 250 cal dessert. Surprisingly figured out calories after dinner and could still enjoy the dessert, and did just that.

DH is selling his car tomorrow, to prep us a bit for hopefully buying another one within a month or so. This will bring him some mental relief, he says.

No news today. Took a few credits for skipping all stress eating at work. Skipped lunch out to welcome a new staffer, and stuck to my plan.

Bill - Big kudos to you for your hard work in ensuring conversations stayed safe - that's a hard task with family gatherings and was appreciated by others, I'm sure.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #162  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Tracked food - credit. Had a doctor's appt which increases my anxiety with anticipation, and my weight was up a bit. I did go for a walk after that - credit. It is good my appt was on a Monday, because all the bakeries are closed!
Old 09-23-2014, 05:31 AM   #163  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was a good food day and exercise was work. I haven't stepped on the scale yet this morning….I forgot when I first got up. I've been spiffing up the house this morning now that my current sewing projects are finished. I sure notice these days how my environment affects my peace with food. I've also noticed just how many food challenges occur everyday and how important it is to keep mindful and resisting. I've also noticed lately just how grounding my morning smoothie is-it is so automatic and gets me in the healthy mindset every single day. Credit for noticing.

We head over the hill for two days. I look forward to a pool soak and visits with friends.

BBE, yay for family coming and yay for family leaving! Back to routine is always good!

Nuxmaga, yay for one day when bakeries are closed! Lol. Credit for tracking your food and for walking!

Nationalparker, kudos for tracking your calories and finding room to enjoy dessert. We are sure happy with our new car….I love the 35-40 mpg experience as much as we travel.

New2me2, I don’t drink (anymore), either. It's sure a calorie saver! Sorry your sleep has been so difficult but kudos for jumping on the sleepratebandwagon. I hope it helps. Kudos for working on those extra steps. They really help, especially long term.

MaryAnn, kudos for planning out your 2 fasting days as you work towards your next angel! Enjoy your Tahoe days!

Karenrn, Happy Birthday! Natl parks pass is a neat thing….great reward for 62 years! Kudos for no sweets, especially since birthdays seem to revolve around sugar.

Curlypudge, sorry you've been feeling a little low but kudos for acknowledging it. Hope getting back on track helps you to feel better.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:34 AM   #164  
Super Moderator

Default Tuesday - First day of Autumn

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Made it back into a good walk, CREDIT moi - as part of my normal fall activity. Also made it to the library but not to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods where the FREE samples exist.

Still working on the snacking while we eat down the food brought in for guests that wasn't consumed. I'll have a bagel for breakfast until the remains of the dozen is gone. Had a tomato sandwich for lunch - unexpected good eating for this late in the year.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Waving toward the Still-United-Kingdom, thinking of you marching about.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for having a job that you like. How's the bathroom rehab going? Neat that your morning smoothie is so grounding.

maryann - Sending supportive thoughts for your tough week. It's nice to know that you have the tools to face it.

Donna (new2me2) - Kudos for doing the extra steps thing.

nationalparker – It's a big step to skip a lunch to stay your path - Kudos.

Karen (karenrn) - Happy 61st Birthday. The National Parks Pass is just the greatest benefit of age; I love mine, even though it only saves me a few dollars a year.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - LOL that it was good that all the bakeries were closed. How does one buy bread on Mondays?

curlypudge - Yay for a 73 year old who knows how to track her food as a good role model.

Readers -
Quote:

Just Say, Oh, Well

Whenever you find yourself struggling, try saying to yourself, Oh, well. These words can also remind you that you've chosen to diet because you want to lose weight. While you may not like dieting, it is reality; it is what you have to do to reach your goal.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:12 AM   #165  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

good morning coaches!
Got a little off plan yesterday with spontaneous trip with kiddies to outdoors ice cream place that will be closing soon- but at least I ordered only the kiddie size, and ate less the rest of the day, so caloric intake wasn't too bad overall.
Trip was possibly prompted by starting to read a book called "The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street" , which is a fictional rags to riches story involving the building of an ice cream dynasty. Really good details about immigrant life in 1913, how incredibly hard it was. Makes me so grateful to be alive today with all our luxuries!
A lot of sleep issues going on, interesting....I miss the good old days as a youth when I could sleep thru the whole night without waking up once!
Karenrn- happy birthday! Good job keeping on plan!
Lexiss- so true on how many food challenges occur each day and needing to keep mindful!
Maryann-I'm with you on the windows, I can't remember when they have last been washed! One of those chores I put off doing anything about!
Closed Thread