Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #121  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Well, that does it then, I just ordered the SleepRate. I have a VivoFit and have had a FitBit Flex, both of which will give you sleep patterns, but they only track movement and that doesn't necessarily work for me. I move around a lot, especially my arms, but sometimes I am awake and NOT moving, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nationalparker View Post
For those who have strung together weeks of being on track - are you allowing any splurges in or staying pretty tight? I'm wondering if I'm too tough on myself in those regards.
I sort of allow for mini splurges that feel special, but are not very damaging.

I'm not following a specific plan...it's sort of a combo of a low carb diet, a pre-diabetic diet and a paleo diet. My main focus is keeping the carbs under 100. It seems that in order to stay on "plan" I have to write in a treat once in a while.

Four years ago when I did Dr. Beck's plan, one of the things I did was to write in 1 piece of chocolate and since I have a hard time stopping once I started, I allowed myself that 1 piece, but only on my way home from work so I couldn't have more.

What I've been doing recently is writing in a special Starbuck's drink once a week. Their current seasonal drink is a salted caramel mocha, so I'm writing that in my plan, but reducing the sugar by only have 1 pump of each flavor instead of 4 of each. Makes me feel like I'm having a great treat, but not going crazy.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #122  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Dreary day turned out gorgeous this evening. Dinner was planned, though, for a dreary day - soup. Did well at lunch - out at mexican spot and ate half of my lunch entree and 10 chips. I'm pleased with that.

Haven't weighed in a couple of days - but staying on track. So far. Wearing different pants that haven't been on my legs in nearly five years. Joyful at that. DH starts working nights tomorrow night and I'm going to commit some time to trying to piece different outfits together. I'm not clever that way, and would like to mix it up a bit more.

Folks' home has created a flurry of activity - two more parties interested despite offers already being made and folks were rushing by to see it to see if they wanted to place an offer as well. Credit to my brother for agreeing to a reasonable price so it doesn't linger unsold. I'm MUCH more of a bird in the hand person - and we all benefit - the person buying it as well as us. No games. Keeping fingers crossed all continues smoothly. Feeling a bit guilty, though, as best friend/cousin is trying to sell theirs for two months and no sniffs at that one.

Good info on small splurges. Most of mine do seem to be reasonable. DID come home to find that DH enjoyed all of the chocolate ice cream in two days. I'm blown away in one sense. I knew we shouldn't have it on hand, but I did call him on it - like WOW. Not my place to police it but I was shocked.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

Good results for sleeprate so far: two assessments and some sleep education. I feel I am sleeping more just because I am being proactive and have HELP. To those with tornado partners, the sound track records environmental disturbances - proof that the noise wakes the person up (there is a chart) Hubby and I decided last summer to sleep in separate rooms. It has worked out fine despite my fear that it would lessen intimacy. Lack of sleep = no intimacy for me, only paranoid schizo-behavior.

Big Link between weight gain and sleeplessness ( I learned in my videos.)

Tonight huge credit: another angel. To answer nationalparker's question about splurges: I have a set calorie amount for the week as tracked by MFP. I can splurge when necessary but then end up with a low cal day on the last day. (Today at school was tough to keep to such a restriction. I however have been willing to do it two weeks running now thinking of the angel as a quick reward).

Last edited by maryann; 09-16-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello Coaches,

Just a quick check in. Credit today for:

-weighing
-spontaneous exercise
-checking in with my coaches
-planning tomorrow
-writing in my food journal
-resisting eating more food after dinner and remembering I will feel full in 20.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:16 PM   #125  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Tracked food - credit - even the sweets at choir. . .It is interesting how the presence of sandwich bags this time brought out my inner squirrel and I wanted to fill it up. Still came in with an ok calorie count - credit. Walked before dinner, credit. More time in the studio, which is good because 2 house number orders came in today, and working steadily is the best thing to calm my panic at getting it all done.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:59 PM   #126  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up 4 weeks

Coaches

*credit weighed in to see 274.7. A loss my wii fit says of 4.8lbs in a month. I was sad about that. I had assumed that 274 was falsely high but apparently not. It was real weight but I have also really lost almost 5lbs of it today. I did wish it was higher which reinforced me not weighing except weekly. I have other behaviours to focus on.

Exhausted tonight. Besides carving my woodcut block (did 1/3 what I had hoped to do today) I also had to clean at the potter's guild (my turn) and fire down a kiln (our teams turn this week) and put glaze onto my pots for raku firing tomorrow, then after that was done I went to the studio to carve. I was wiped out. Tomorrow we are raku firing outside and then I go to my studio to carve. I don't think I'll finish tomorrow. I think it will be Thursday. I'll have the whole day to focus on it.

Whats fallen to the side is a visit to my mom to pick up her laundry. I am supposed to do it at least once a week and maybe 2x. It's been a little over a week now. I really need to get there before I go away. I'll aim for tomorrow.

what else? Nothing. I'm exhausted so I can't think. Must hit the hay. I am gone early to get to the guild for the raku firing. I'm trying a new red glaze on my astronaut figure (!!!!) very excited to see what happens. many new and exciting things happening that I am trying--too bad it's all in the same 5 days. Oh well. Have a good night.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:09 AM   #127  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - U. S. Constitution Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Still working on the snack business as I deal with the joys and stresses of an upcoming family visit. Ouch. CREDIT moi that it's not 24/7 - I do remember how I used to eat.

Walked, CREDIT moi, with an umbrella to include stopping at my favorite hair person for a haircut. Seems that the word 'barber shop' isn't used anymore and 'hair stylist' implies more care and concern than is my style. My person was on vacation so I had to face the question, "How do you like it done?" How am I supposed to know the set of words that describe a haircut? Best I can do is, "Like it is, just shorter."

onebyone – Glad that astronaut figures are still in your repertoire. Congrats on getting that carving done.

CeeJay - Lots of good credits - Kudos. Like, "remembering I will feel full in 20."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for tenants leaving the rental spotless. Love the thought of driving up there at 4:30am.

maryann - Congrats for moving on with your SleepRate experiment. I can feel myself being drawn to try it - then I'd have to buy an iPad or something that I've been avoiding.

Donna (new2me2) - Congrats for ordering your SleepRate - it's taking this group by storm. And Kudos for designing your own Starbucks treat drink.

nationalparker – Congrats to you and your brother for pricing your parents home to sell. I've seen homes that had to take significant reductions because they began to look 'tired' on the market due to initial high pricing. Ouch for having to face your DH's chocolate ice cream.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - LOL at, "my inner squirrel" - know about those guys. Yay for more orders - you're obviously doing something right.

curlypudge - Kudos for avoiding that ice cream even as you served it to your DH. Yep, craving sweets is a challenge to the Resistance Muscle.

Readers -
Quote:
Day22 Say, Oh, Well, to Disappointment
You can't stop sabotaging thoughts from
...arising, but you can respond to them.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 180.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #128  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday OP which included an impromptu trip to Denver to get a piece of stainless pipe cut and threaded. I bought the entire shower kit from this company AND got to pay them $30 more to cut their pipe shorter. lol. Lunch needed a switch, and a fast food one, since the pup was in the car. TacoBell 2 bean tacos worked magic...with a FREE glass of water.

BBE, I got my hair cut at the academy last week ($7.00). I told the kid what I wanted and he did it. When the instructor came over to critique she asked if I was sure that was what I had wanted. "Yes". She told me this cut was popular in the 60's and she hadn't seen it since. Apparently she has never had to live with curly hair. LOL

We did eventually get the shower hook up completed and we start on the floor this afternoon. I have to get my mom to an eye apt this morning and my helper's pup has a chiropractor appt.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #129  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Good Day Coaches!

Plugging along, still on plan. Was proud of myself yesterday for resisting putting a packet of hot cocoa in my coffee (makes a good mocha, lol), but since I didn't write it in the plan, I did not do it.

I did, however, write it in for today, had it and it was yummy. What was unusual about that is that while I really enjoyed it, I did not want another one. One usually leads to two. Very happy.

It's been a bit slower at work, so I'm taking advantage of that by reviewing my Beck advantages, and by working up some kind of plan for my vacation next month. I won't have control of some things, but I'm writing out a plan for that as well.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #130  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Still enjoying England. I've eaten several of the things on my bucket list. Today was fish and chips wrapped in paper. I also walked over 14,000 steps today so FitBit / MFP think I'm doing okay even with fried food for lunch.

BillBlueEyes: I've seen lots of birds I recognized from home but got a couple that I'm not used to seeing -- swans, a different sort of heron, and a magpie.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #131  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Day was well-spent. Bonus that all laundry has been finished up tonight, including pet blankets. DH is working nights and I made myself a light dinner and, while tempted to snack, I haven't. Though I'm perusing the fridge and pantry, I'm still claiming a victory for not selecting something.

We watched "Tim's Vermeer" last night and Bill and OneByOne, it might be one that you especially enjoy. I'd wanted to watch it for awhile and found it at a library not far from home, so finally picked it up.

Folks' home sold today - verbal agreement and contract is being written, so not super final, but we feel good. I'm happy because it went to the one with children and it's close by a school, walking distance. I had a feeling that I wanted them to grow up there vs. the other buyer I felt was just trying to invest a bit and turn it for a big profit. Who knows, just gut feelings.

New2Me2 - Credits for being satisfied with "enough" on the mocha coffee. I find that's a major step for me - moving from what my habits were to new ones and realizing I'm happy with them when I recognize it. I'm working hard to stay at eating until no longer hungry, not until full. I struggle with that some days, and other days, it's done with absolutely no effort.

Lexxiss - LOL at the retro style I keep thinking I want to get a pro style before long. These ones by DH and Great Clips aren't that flattering. I think I'm afraid that if I splurge, I won't notice a difference. But I WOULD like the pampering!
Old 09-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #132  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Good evening!

Just a quick check in tonight. Credit today for:

-weighing myself
-doing planned exercise
-reading response and advantage card
-writing in food journal
-preping food for lunch at work and dinner at hotel tomorrow

No credit for:

-going to restaurant at lunch and instead of sticking with the plan (salad- and the restaurant makes great salad) I ordered fries and chicken fingers. Instead of using resistance techniques I purposely tuned out any thoughts about not ordering it and any stirring of resistance thoughts. I did not eat it slowly, I did not savour it, it tasted OK but not great, and after I thought it was not worth the calories. So needed to say oh well and move on. I was on plan for the rest of the day.

Check in Friday when I am back. Hope the rest of the week is good for everyone.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:34 PM   #133  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Well, weighing today, I was up one pound from last week, which makes sense considering my snacking. I did track my food, walk, stop eating before I was overly full, and got most of a house number glued in the studio.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:06 AM   #134  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation all things considered

Coaches

Busy day after a tough night with a kitty who had to try to take away my pillow 2x and then wanted food when he woke me once more. He's been driving me nuts lately but I am keyed up trying to get things completed and arrangements made with friends in Ottawa as I get ready to travel there not tomorrow, as hoped, because my woodcut block is not done, but Friday instead as I hope to complete the thing tomorrow. This morning I did a raku firing at the potter's guild and I am happy with the results (pics attached=spaceship, then astronaut-one of a pair. The other is yet to be made. Then a red astronaut balancing a world on his finger.) but of all weeks...? I also made it over to my mom's to pick up her laundry and I am now drying load #2 along with my very smokey clothes from today's raku adventures.

Foodwise--all the above came out in my food. First I didn't eat breakfast then found out we were too late to go to breakfast so I called DH who brought me fast food breakfast at the guild. OK. Then during the raku firing the tradition is to bring food to share, but I am not snacking so had to turn down the food, but did take fruit, which I do allow as a snack if needed and I was ok with this. I ate my packed lunch at my studio late in the day once I got there and then snacked on some grapes for snack #2. Not really needed just was nervous seeing how much I still had to do on my woodcut and assessing that vs. how tired I was. Carving with sharp tools doesn't go with feeling over tired. I don't want an accident from inattention. I want to carve tomorrow and next week too! So I took a bit of a break and felt ok to start on the woodcut and managed to get a couple of major elements completed and then started another and when I compared it to its mirror twin on the other side of the board I realized I had started it differently. Drat. This was my fatigue showing so I will have to match them up in carving style tomorrow-but last. First will be attacking the major central area left for me to do. Once that is done I am almost ready to take few small prints to see if things are working. Tomorrow is the only day for me to try it out.

So DH picked me up at the studio and I went and picked up my mom's laundry and then we picked up dinner, which was a new place with really oily fish. Wow. and it was too much stuff but I ate it all. I really ate to full 2x today, no actually 3x. I am pushing it. I need to reign it back in. Day 29 OP for me today in spite of it all.

Lexxiss I laughed at the comment about the hair style you asked for. It brought to mind how my sister was always amazed that my cousin Douglas found the only hair stylist in their tiny town capable of giving him a perfect 1970's haircut. She could never get over it.

Totally need sleep now. Have a good night everyone.

Last edited by onebyone; 09-18-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:16 AM   #135  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Thursday night

Hi coaches

Just wanted to do a quick check in - was going to use the "tweet" board instead but I am ridiculously lacking in confidence with twitter and hash tags - an alien piece of technology that I managed to miss out on totally for some reason

Stood at the sink at around lunchtime stripping chicken off bones and DID NOT eat any - huge credit to me

Weight dropped to 191.6 today for some reason but I enjoyed it.

Wrote a plan and stuck to it and am waiting to cook my planned Spanish Mackerel with veggies.

Stuck to eating in an 8 hour window yesterday and today which means I start eating at around 11am and stop at 7pm so had better hustle and get dinner done.

Went to gym yesterday and will go tomorrow

Stay well and on plan coaches
Closed Thread