Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 05:49 AM   #181  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Women's Equality Day (Bella Abzug (D-NY), 1971)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to our community garden to give it water since it no longer rains here. Picked five bush beans - exactly five. The harvest dwindles. Two medium sized tomatoes remain; they each can use a couple more days to ripen. The end of a vegetable garden is a sad looking affair.

Eating was only OKish. Still working that issue. DW bought more blueberries so I continue to indulge large as I sense the end of those approaching. Achievement of the day: I googled how to drive a tractor; after several YouTube videos, I'm certified to drive on a warm day on flat hard ground. Accidents tend to happen crossing sloping ground and hooking up the PTO (Power Take Off) - the end of the engine that drives an attachment like a weed-whacker.

onebyone – Kudos for another OP day and for sufficiently touching bases with your sister that you can move forward. My condolences that Canadian Tim Hortons has been purchased by U.S. Burger King. Hope the magic isn't changed.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Great sentence, "I have a plan for today -- and it's a good one with foods I like and none of the little 'gotchas'."

maryann - Glad you're OK from the earthquake. Yep, we all tend to overestimate the calories burned from exercise - bummer! [LOL at "On any given day, the scale is cunning, baffling and inordinately powerful."]

nationalparker – "Raspberries for $1" is a great bargain. Congrats on the successful turkey pot pie - I'm a big fan of pot pies but they don't appear on DW's menu.

ForMyGirls - A true sign of a working eating plan, "500 calories up my sleeve" - enjoy them!

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for lots of gym planned. Are you headed to Washington state to savor the great outdoors or to Washington, D.C. to fix things?

Readers -
Quote:
day 21 Get Ready to Weigh In

The Numbers on the Scale

If the scale has gone down, be happy, even if you've lost only a small amount of weight. As I tell the dieters I counsel, we celebrate every half-pound loss.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 173.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:08 AM   #182  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I've been missing posting for several days. Wished internet would have been cooperative when I got home from work yesterday but it wasn't. I'm having good food days...not perfect but sometimes ok-ish works for me. I've accomplished lots in the past week. Most notable, getting back on my bike.
DH is gone and I'm enjoying being on my own food plan. Last night was a vegetarian Reubensammie. Last week someone came to the restaurant and ordered it....rye bread, cheese and sauerkraut. Everyone thought it was super funny....last night I decided it was super good. Thought of nationalparker and the 100day challenge. I have already determined I don't miss the cheese on a burger now can say I don't miss the meat on a reuben. lol For me, losing weight and keeping it off has been an ongoing process of making new and better choices. Credit.

I took on an extra shift at work so now I will be the only one of 5 waitstaff to work the entire holiday weekend. Grateful to be able to do it.

BBE, kudos for making a new home for your bike rack. Kudos for still working on your eating "issue". With persistence, it will come around. LOL on becoming a certified flat hard ground on a warm day Tractor Driver. Do you get a signed certificate to hang on the wall upon making a $100internet payment ? I would imagine one is available if my dog can get a drivers license.

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), I am missing you in my early morning.

onebyone, I loved your picture! Yay for making it through the evening OP. As a daily weigher who sticks close to plan I can only encourage you to stay on plan. I think as we get older we have more scale fluxuations. DrBeck tells us there are lots of reasons. My scale jumped up 7 pounds in several days while my family was here. Scale experience tells me when I stay OP it goes away and it did. For certain, it doesn't go away when we use the information as a jumping off point. You mentioned being OP making you extra emotional. Probably…..lots of body changes. I found that the longer I stayed OP that the emotional stuff settled a bit. Now, I find I'm more emotional when I go off plan.

nationalparker, yay for a decent food day! Regarding work, I find that I will use one technique for resistance and when that stops working I invent another one. My mindset includes the two primary components; I DO want to eat healthy and more ethical AND I absolutely know 100% that if I eat off the menu everyday that I will gain weight. So, I manage my strategies which for the most part focus around intermittent fasting at work and being able to come home and eat the healthy foods I've come to enjoy. When I was returning from KeyWest I wrote down some new work goals. One was to drink water first, then iced tea and only occasionally have a diet soda. That's still working almost 2 months later. I think that habit is solid now.

maryann, glad you're ok. My bro in Santa Rosa ok, too. I spent many years in Alaska in the earthquake zone. It's a different reality. Yes, credit for 23 hours of good thinking. We just keep working on this. I AM finding that I have a few foods that no longer interest me. I used to love gingersnaps now I really don't care so I buy them for DH. Even if I want to binge it won't be with them. PeppFarmsTahoes I don't bring home unless I have accepted at the store that I'm going to eat them all. I haven't done that for many years now.

karenrn, yay for Beck in action. You are accomplishing lots.

gardenerjoy, yay for a plan after a tough weekend!

ForMyGirls, love it…."deflated state has disappeared now". Kudos for walking the path to make that happen.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:12 AM   #183  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

ANother day of not enough hours so just and update but no personals again I'm afraid.

Day 21 on the plan - getting ready for weigh in - this for me doesn't feel too big a deal - I have never been scared of the scale. I am doing the weighing a bit differently this time - I'm weighing daily but then working out the average for the week each Sunday and that average is my 'number'. As much as anything its because I foudn with weekly weighins I would forget on the day - whereas doing it daily makes it more of a habit.

Credits for my day: - decided to change my lunch plan as I had salad planned and the weather turned feral so soup was called for - the credit worthy bit was that I looked at a few different soups unti I found one that would be a proper calorie swap so it really was an adjustment, not an off plan event; doing my reading and ARC despite the busyness - I have been doing well this week in seeing this healthy living project as a priority!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #184  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Hello all! Meant to post yesterday afternoon, but as luck would have it, it got busy at work, lol. I don't turn on my computer during the week after work, so this morning it is!

I'm reading some wonderful progress and some inspiring "bounce-backs".

As for me, I've been OP, and am remembering to write in some snacks...most of which have not been needed.

I am also remembering to write down every credit I can think of in my journal. I intend to pay myself for each credit, and eventually buy myself a couple of outfits when I reach my goal. As I count, I have 39 credits so far.

Walked at work on my lunch break yesterday, and will do the same today, plus will be putting together an exercise bike that was delivered yesterday and will jump on that to test it out for a few minutes.

BillBE, I just bought some blueberries at the farmer's market...I've been bringing them home, rinsing, then freezing them in small snack size Ziploc bags. I had some left in the freezer, but also thought about the season coming to an end soon. I put them frozen into some unflavored/sweetened greek yogurt. Very good that way and it freezes the yogurt.

maryann, we definitely ARE very lucky to live in a place that has good building standards.

onebyone, that steamroller event looked like great fun! Love the print as well!

naturalparker, I have a vacation coming up in October, and so far the planning of it has been fun. We've had this booked for just about a year now.

Last edited by new2me2; 08-26-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #185  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

Did exercise as planned yesterday except did not run on treadmill. Did 35 minutes at 4 mph after 50 minutes on the elliptical. Today is strength training with my trainer. She has helped me get started but once I'm back from Washington (state) I hope to cut that back on her services. I love have someone to push me but don't want to spend the money. I've ordered this canvas bag (The Ultimate Sandbag Training System) apparatus that I can fill with some water bags for training on the road. Let's see if I will really do it. I have been using it at the gym to get the routines down. In the past I've pretty much not done any strength training while away and then feel like I have to start at the beginning when I return. And believe me, I am a beginner anyway.

Maryann I hear you on the exercise calories. I kind of use the amount on the machine and my HRM. MFP seems to be quite high.

Onebyone I hope the Skype visit with your sister went well. I have such a small family and a very limited relationship with one of my two brothers. We used to be very close. Luckily my other brother and his wife are great and we get along well. There are times when I've felt I couldn't say the right thing no matter what.

National parker Oh my those turkey pot pies sound delicious. Still too warm here to eat that sort of thing, but it won't be but a couple more months. As for your questions regarding packing food on hikes etc. On hikes I do fine. I often hike in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve which is near me. If it is 4 hours or so I usually take a PB&J, otherwise if it is less I throw some kind of bar in the Camelback just in case. I have packed too much on backpacking trips. A couple of years ago I did a four night trip in the Grand Canyon. My friend and I had such heavy packs, it was ridiculous. Of course we shared the apples as soon as possible with the guys who didn't have enough food with them. Usually I'm pretty careful about how much I pack though. I can hike a long ways, but up hill with a heavy pack just isn't fun. I actually haven't backpacked in a couple years. Last years trip with day packs was wonderful and unless I find someone who wants to do the JMT or the Wonderland Trail I may not backpack again, except the Grand Canyon with is just a few hours away.

Gardener Joy I'm also of the school that the planning and anticipation of a trip are half the fun. Other than a hiking trip in Europe last year, I haven't been in about 8 years. We always made plans using Rick Steve's books as a guideline and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. I probably was a little ambitious in the amount we did each day, but heck we were younger then.

ForMyGirls Good job staying on plan even though you are so busy. I'm looking forward to Fall and cooler temps and then I'll be busier too.

Lexxiss I think the vegetarian Reubensammie sounds delicious. Also it's gotten me thinking about the cheese I put in my breakfast eggs. Almost every day I have a veggie omelet and almost every day I have a pinch or two of grated cheese that is not out of the measured bit. I think I'll try the omelet without the cheese and see if I even notice. I love cheese, but it is hardly noticeable with the onion, green pepper and spinach I put in. Or is it?

BBE I'm heading to Washington State. I was born there and lived there until I was 50. After my parents died, my husband and I decided to move to Arizona to escape the drizzle and grey skies. For the most part we like it here. He still works, but loves to golf. I retired 2 1/2 years ago and love to hike which I really didn't do in Washington due to the difficulty planning around the weather. We go every September for my MIL's birthday. She will be 84 this year. She is in great health and I wish we could get her to come visit us, and she has in the past, but she doesn't like to travel. Since dh has to take vacation days to go and we go a couple of times a year it severely cuts into any time off for him. I will stay 10 days longer and visit family and friends mostly in the Puget Sound area. Hopefully I'll get up to British Columbia to hike with a friend who lives half the year in AZ.

I hope all of you have a great day and that staying on plan is easy today!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #186  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Argh - Just lost my post here and not sure what I did! This will be briefer ... my quasi-Italian mama soul was uplifted today by the speedy disappearance of the raspberry white chocolate muffins I brought in to work. One guy told me he had three - "count 'em, THREE" he said. Confess to a bit of envy to be able to eat three muffins and not feel any guilt.

Food has been good so far today - ate half of lunch portion while out with a new friend from work. Really enjoyed chatting with her. She's kind and an adventurous traveler and would like to get to know her more.

We're still in the deciding days of if we camp for a couple of nights this weekend. Temps still ranging around 90 degrees and storms expected Friday. I will use it as a test for me to not overpack food and to not overeat the day before we head out. Not sure why I do that, but I do.

I hadn't considered retrying the 100 Day Challenge, or a version of it, until typing it yesterday. But now I realize that if I should start it, then it would take me into early December ... thinking I could challenge myself with a different "challenge" each week or when something needs to be worked on - activity, more water, aability to be hungry without stressing (I'm thankful that I can be hungry and know I will eat again soon ... unlike those who don't know when their next meal will be - wish I could keep that thought in mind more often).

Anyway, if anyone else wants to start a 100-Day challenge of your own and mesh them in this forum with just a note on the daily check-ins or another thread, pipe up! I have a bad track record of getting all gung-ho but then fizzling out and restarting. Being accountable here, noting Day 1, Day 2, might help me out. I did it two years ago and only got into the low 20s, I think... yikes.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #187  
Practicing Imperfection

Hello All,
I haven't been here in a long time. It is nice to see some familiar names still here. I went to the doctor yesterday and it did not like the number on the scale. My sister broke my scale weighing her suitcase for a trip to Africa, and I never replaced it. . .4 years ago.

I signed up for My Fitness Pal and tracked my calories today - credit. My husband suggested mall walking since it was hot outside, so credit to him for getting me out of the house and credit to me for going.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:48 PM   #188  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Coaches, all is well. 7op days done. Have a good night.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:23 AM   #189  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Great Achievement of the day: I fixed our 'peeing fridge' - where the fridge dumped water on the floor after its automatic defrost cycle. After I figured out what the problem was and what was required to fix it, the obstacle was finding the paperwork from three years ago to determine if it was still under warranty. The breakthrough wasn't by finding the warranty but by calling a magic number at Sears that kept record of this. Wasn't on warranty, so I ordered the re-designed part that routes the water from the defrost cycle into a tray underneath. Part came. I installed. All is well. CREDIT moi for fixing a problem that has bugged DW and me for months.

Walked, CREDIT moi, on a circuit to explore what's happening in some busy areas. A McDonald's has closed - a rare sight. The walk now passes two tattoo parlors - used to be only one. And a zillion Nail Salon's, for whatever reason that many can be supported.

onebyone – Seven Kudos for those seven days on-plan.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for liking a vegetarian Reuben - I'm stuck looking for corned-beef in the ingredients since it's one of my favorite meats. [Hadn't thought of getting a Tractor Driver certificate - will google for that, LOL.]

Donna (new2me2) - Kudos for writing down your 39 credits. Neat idea to pay yourself so that a pool of money is available for new outfits.

nationalparker – Kudos for "half of lunch portion while out with a new friend." Hope your camping plans work out.

ForMyGirls - Sounds smart those daily weigh-ins with a calculated weekly number for the chart. Kudos for mindfully choosing your soup on a "feral" weather day.

Karen (karenrn) - Snazzy idea this Ultimate Sandbag Training Systems: - new idea to me. Hope it works on the road for you. [Jealous of the hiking opportunities around Puget Sound and British Columbia.]

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Yep, Kudos for doing that Mall Walking despite the heat. If memory serves, when you were last around you were big into producing stained glass. Is that still in your life? Hope you find the wherewithal to replace that scale.

Readers -
Quote:
day 21 Get Ready to Weigh In

Make Your Graph

Today, you'll create My Weight-Loss Graph (page 174) that'll help you keep weigh-ins in perspective. Even if you weigh yourself as often as daily, keep track of your weight only once a week. On the same day every week, get on the scale and mark down the result in your diet notebook. Over time, you'll fill in a graph that's similar to the one Terri filled in [on page 173].

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 173.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 08-28-2014 at 04:38 AM. Reason: I => me. Basic English grammar.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:39 AM   #190  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

Another busy day - but on plan. My "earn your treats through exercise" system was working nicely for me today. My elder daughter had an activity in the evening at school - was about to jump in the car and then thought - there's 70 treat calories for me if I walk :-) have planned an icecream treat for tomorrow night and there'll be a cider on Sunday night.

Day 22 today - Oh Well. I use this all the time so the revisit was a quick and confirming one.

Credits - staying on track despite this busy stressful, busy week.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #191  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

I'll just check in this morning. I've read some in the Beck Book and also my cards. Changed up breakfast today. I think I'm tired of my veggie omelet or at least of the after taste of onion and green pepper. Cherrios with a banana tasted pretty good today. It's cardio day today and I'm going to try more high intensity interval training. My trainer wants me to get my heart rate up to 160's or so and then let it come down and do that over and over. She says it is better for fat burning. I'm going to try it on the treadmill on an incline and then step onto the side rales to let the rate come down. I'll still do the elliptical. I want to be fit but will admit I exercise to burn calories so that I can eat a bit more.

Other than that I need to shop for MIL's birthday gift and get some birthday cards in the mail for a couple of other friends. Should be a very pleasant day. Hope all of you have a great day too!
Old 08-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #192  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

I loved onebyone's check in last night! Thx! Simple and effective and reminded me it's not always all or nothing!

I'm on the run this morning after many hours enjoyably spent by myself. Mom, sis and I headed to Boulder where we'll do a little business and have some fun, too. Lunch, I believe, will be at the Farmers Market downtown. It's probably the nicest market in Colorado. I know I will have many good choices and I'll buy some yummy Colorado (organic) peaches!

Take care everyone! BBE, glad that frig is crossed of your list!
Old 08-27-2014, 10:09 PM   #193  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hope all are doing well ... Dove right into my personal challenge and ...
Day One - 161.4 this morning (please, please don't let me gain weight by the end...) and feel like I'm regaining a bit of control. Why do I always think I cannot stop an upward climb but never, ever feel that I cannot stop a slow downward movement on the scale? Challenged myself to take pooch out on the trail for a short walk if not too hot/stormy, no snacking tonight and get starting numbers for plank hold and modified pushups. Did it all - credits. Was hoping to get under 160 by this weekend (as of LAST week) but then when the scale jumped up, I gave up on that ... but now bringing that back on the table ... we'll see.

Did a bit of weeding and watering this evening and got seven (!) mosquito bites. DH jokes that I'm their nectar. It drives me crazy, yet I don't want to cover myself with the Off all the time ... nor do I want to fog our whole yard ... but the bats we have need to step it up a bit on their dining frequency.

Following that discussion with my brother, I spoke with DH and he keeps worrying about one aspect of the folks' estate and I said it will all be resolved before long - stop worrying about it. I got resentful tonight that I felt that he has seemed more focused on the financial side of his passing than my emotional loss. I don't know - it just hurt me tonight. I ended up just ringing off the phone and taking a bath and calming down, and he called to check on me. I said I felt like their passing so close together is a dream that I'll wake up from and I'll still be someone's daughter. So many years of being a daughter and now I'm not one.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:32 PM   #194  
Practicing Imperfection

Good memory BillBlueEyes! Yes, I am now making glass mosaics full time, as I was laid off from my library job in 2010. I love working for myself,even if it is nerve wracking at times.

I tracked food today ~ credit ~ even though I didn't want to see the total when I was done. DH and I went mall walking again, and we found a scale on the circuit.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:23 AM   #195  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Arrow Still out here, plugging away

Hi Coaches

I am sticking to my new plan and while I lost weight at the beginning it has stopped of course. My blood sugars have stabilised and are almost normal first thing in the morning. It is annoying that I am not losing weight.

Thanks for the wave Debbie (Lexxiss) - glad you are enjoying your family

I am going to take a challenge that for the next week I do not eat standing up - ever. Especially at the sink as I cook (except for minimalist tastes for seasoning)

Today saw the proposed dietary guidelines for Brazil and thought they looked pretty good compared to Australia's (won't bore you with those)

Brazil's proposed dietary guidelines

1. Prepare meals from staple and fresh foods.
2. Use oils, fats, sugar and salt in moderation.
3. Limit consumption of ready-to-consume food and drink products.
4. Eat regular meals, paying attention, and in appropriate environments.
5. Eat in company whenever possible.
6. Buy food at places that offer varieties of fresh foods. Avoid those that mainly sell products ready for consumption.
7. Develop, practice, share and enjoy your skills in food preparation and cooking.
8. Plan your time to give meals and eating proper time and space.
9. When you eat out, choose restaurants that serve freshly made dishes and meals. Avoid fast food chains.
10. Be critical of the commercial advertisement of food products.

Advice to live by. Have a good day coaches - I am struggling to survive here - not sure why

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 08-28-2014 at 04:29 AM.
Closed Thread