Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #151  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up checking in on a Thursday

Hi Coaches

Day 2 OP. Yay. DH is testy though and so am I. He's been low level sick for two weeks or more now and today a coworker got sent home due to hand, foot, mouth disease. Highly contagious. Usually only kids get it. You actually know you have it three days after you get it so we can back track to the beginning of the week. DH could have it. He's so crabby.I'm trying to be helpful but there's nothing he wants from me and I swear I am just irritating to him. Oh well. I am letting this one go. He is going to the doctor if nothing changes over the weekend. And at this point, he may not come with me to the steamroller event.

I am OP when:
-I eat three meals a day and 2 snacks Yes
-I abstain from sugar Yes
-I continuously check myself while eating, always trying to see how full I am
-when I am full I stop eatingYes and Yes
-I check in here Yes
-I plan my meals Yes
-I read/listen to support material daily Yes
-I do not have seconds Yes
-I tolerate any "negative" emotions that arise from not indulging in food or eating until overful. I do other things besides eat to calm myself.Yes
-I spend some time each day looking after the things I have neglected or procrastinated over. Yes *extra credit: emailed the accountant and tore the house apart to find some stuff but I found it. I think, finally, we can move forward.
-I repeat these steps daily and know I can only look after myself one meal at a time, and if I take care of the days the future will take care of itself. I stay in the present moment as much as possible with my food. Yes

Have a good night everyone.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-21-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:34 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hi all, just popping in to let you that things went epic at work. I will not be able to checkin but I wanted to let you(and me) know that I have not abandoned. I think I will get breathing room in about a month. My plan is to maintain by eating proper meals.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:47 AM   #153  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Spent much time on the phone with bureaucrats. CREDIT moi because it was some phone calls that I was procrastinating in making, partially because they always ask for a number that I haven't prepared regardless of how many numbers I look up before I call. One was to Sears to deal with a fridge that's exactly three years old and spills the water from automatic defrost on the kitchen floor. Finally resolved that I'm out of warranty. Not a big deal, I've already figured out what part is causing the problem and have found a YouTube video showing how to replace it. So, I ordered the part and will do so. Take that Sears with your $251.99 charge to come out and look at it and your "We can't guarantee that you'll get that price if you don't take it today."

Food continues to be OKish. Dinner on the patio wearing long sleeved shirts again but the magic of fading summer was there.

onebyone – Thanks for the link that explains that Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease of humans is different from Foot and Mouth Disease of sheep. Hope your DH avoids it or mends quickly. Kudos for those efforts fighting procrastination.

nationalparker – LOL at garden stones that make you "as happy as a bird with a french fry." Kudos for leaving some lunch even if you wish you'd done better.

flnu - Love the phrase, "went epic at work" - sure sounds good although you might have meant busy. Yay for "proper meals."

Karen (karenrn) - Welcome back from Minnesota. Twelve hours a week of hiking is a bunch - Kudos for such a healthy routine.

Readers -
Quote:
day 21 Get Ready to Weigh In

The Numbers on the Scale

Before you step on the scale, try not to think, I hope I weigh ___ pounds. Instead, think, Last week, I weighed ___ . Today, I should probably weight somewhere between a half pound to 2 pounds more or less than that.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 172.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #154  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Returning to the Beck Diet Solution!

Good morning all! After a four year hiatus, I am once again in need of Dr. Beck's wisdom. I was here about four years ago and did remarkably well following Dr. Beck's principles. By-the-way, it's really nice to see a couple of people from that time are still here!

Anyway, somewhere around 2011 work started becoming VERY stressful, and not long after that there were several personal stresses as well. Each year since then has seemed to become more stressful. Since I have been an emotional eater most of my life, my way of dealing with things was through food. So, I've dealt with 50 pounds of stress in the last four years.

I have several health issues which make things more difficult, but I had most of these four years ago and was able to achieve my goals with Dr. Beck's help, so I KNOW I can do it again, now. (Health issues: Celiac Disease, dairy intolerance, cervical arthritis, gastroparesis, mold and other environmental allergies, and the list goes on, lol)

My annual exam in July added a new health problem, Pre-Diabetes. Well, dang, that's a big one, lol. I've been trying unsuccessfully to take weight off since then by trying some of my old standbys and I can't seem to do it, so I finally realized that I just have to change my mind. My thinking is out of whack and I'll never get anywhere if I don't change how I deal with stress. Stress will always be there, that's a given, so I just need to deal with it in a different way.

I pulled out my copy of the book (pink) and started reading last night. I stopped at Day 1. I still have my original Advantages card that I wrote 4 years ago, but haven't looked at in in a while...so now there is a shiny new Advantages card along with that original one. I will read that card every day as often as I can.

Sorry this is so long-winded!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #155  
Green Tomatoes

I never made a plan yesterday. Not of food and not really of my day, although some things had times attached so a plan formed itself. I'm determined to get it together today. Right now.

Tracking yesterday....DONE. My calories were fine, which is good because my eating was decidedly odd.
Food plan for today....DONE.
Plan for today....DONE.

Our first real heat wave of the summer, plus the forces of justice finally turning the wheels in tangible ways, has calmed things here for now. Enough for the real work to begin, perhaps.

WI: -0.2 kg, Exercise: +55 810/1400 minutes for August, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 08-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #156  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Love the talk about the scale. I was tracking and saint-like OP while baking brownies and cookies for a meeting (my turn). Then 2 pounds up this morning. Super drat! Biology and salt had something to do with it but it was nice to read I am not alone in being disappointed. Numbers sometimes feel like they are NOT just numbers.

Ten days left in A. August. Fridge is looking kind of bare. I feel terrific about the creativity required to feed the guys and myself. I think the meals have been fresher and more interesting than usual. Home baked bread and buns made from the our wheat. Lots of soups.

I have also been taking advantage of gleaning opportunities that I usually pass up because I am so busy and my frig is usually so full:
Our friend has a prune drier. DH stopped by on the way home to chat and filled a dish with hot,dried prunes.
A worker was growing watermelons and brought one over.
A secretary at my school lives on a peach farm and told us all to come over tomorrow at 8:30 am and pick a box full of ripe fruit.

I know - it sounds like I am living in the garden of Eden and I guess I am!

However - not a dairy cow in sight nor a coffee bean tree - damn the mediterranean climate

The real tricky one is I am low on veggies. I have loved my spinach salads but they are coming to an end and my HUGE bag of frozen stir fry veggies is almost gone.This is what I have left: cans of artichoke hearts, olives, homemade spaghetti sauce, cans of crushed tomatoes, and a jar of mushrooms. Lots of potatoes but I don't count them as veggies. I am thinking lots of italian food (using the last of the parmesan and frozen mozzarella) served with frozen berry smoothies will keep everyone healthy for the month.

I know I have said it before, but this experiment has completely opened my eyes to the almost shameless varieties of food I have at my finger tips anytime I want to hop over to the store. It makes me want to re-read one of my favorite books: Animal Vegetable Miracle by Kingsolver.

So anywhoo . . . this is all Beck-ish because it all concerns maintaing a conscious, discipline food life. It requires a bunch of time, exercise and moderation.

Glad to see the pop-ins - flnu does epic work mean good? I hate to ask how old you are.

Last edited by maryann; 08-22-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #157  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Before I forget, what has your experiment been, Maryann?

Welcome, new2me2! I am new this month. I have been tracking on MFP and exercising, but the Beck Diet Solution is new to me and I've been reading the green book and slowly incorporating strategies.

My super reboot yesterday was very successful. I planned what I was going to eat and stuck to it. I shopped at Costco, the regular grocery store and the produce mostly store, so there are plenty of healthy choices. This morning I was down about a pound, so I'm happy with that. I went to the gym for 50 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes on the treadmill. It was actually cool enough this morning (73 degrees) that I could have gotten out for a hike. I had already planned the gym, so just followed that plan.

I'll get some more cards made today and try to get in a better routine of reading my advantages list, cards, etc. It still seems a bit cumbersome, well more than a bit, but when I think of how things have been working for me without the Beck Plan . . . . well, I'd better work it in.

Have a great Friday everyone!

Karen
Old 08-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #158  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

Very busy here...my brother leaves Sunday. Until then, my #1 priority is to my family, and fitting into their schedule. I get up early to do my chores, both inside and out then wait for their call. We are headed down to Denver to visit our renovated Union Station, lunch, DenBotanic gardens for Chihuly exhibit, then a bike ride with my Sis. I have time for a nap later on then back to my moms for KingSalmon(Alaskan) dinner prepared by my brother. I will bring salad.

I keep my food plan in mind and have been being mindful of moderation. The scale keeps me in line and I'm doing ok.

Donna(new2me2), welcome back!
Old 08-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #159  

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenrn View Post
Welcome, new2me2! I am new this month. I have been tracking on MFP and exercising, but the Beck Diet Solution is new to me and I've been reading the green book and slowly incorporating strategies.
Thank you Karen! I also use MFP to track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxiss View Post
Donna(new2me2), welcome back!
Thank you! Moderation has not been my friend, but I hope to make it in the future.

So, I already have a couple of credits to give myself....

I'm oddly feeling different today, lol, maybe just deciding to do the BDS has had beneficial effects already.

I felt like taking a walk at work, which I've done before, but have been babying my knee lately and not doing it. Well, today I just went for it. It wasn't long--only 16 minutes, but more than I've done for quite a while. It felt great! It also got me out in the sun a little, which my doctor wants me to do at least 3 times a week (Vit. D deficient). Credit!

Secondly, I let myself get hungry, very hungry, lol, before eating lunch...something I rarely do. Credit!

Thirdly, I ate lunch slowly, and....actually threw away some of it. Though I do think I should have stopped a bit sooner, I ate much less than I normally would have. Credit!

I have a plan for the rest of the day and by golly I will stick to it!

Last edited by new2me2; 08-22-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #160  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Better check in tomorrow morning, hopefully, but wanted to say that today has been better, despite a scale reading that wasn't pleasing this morning. The garden wall project that I've been struggling with "seeing" took shape today and in two separate chunks of sweltering humid time in the garden, got it nearly done. I have to redo one section that I did last year, but tomorrow morning will get sod and honestly, what you see will be perfect I'm proud of me for tackling that so I don't feel that sense of failure every time I see it. Certainly not professional, but ... Dirt and mosquito-bite covered. We were going to go to the late movie, but I think Ill fall asleep, so will go to a matinee tomorrow and save money.

Lots of talk at home about the next car we buy. I am fine with waiting a year or two but DH would like to get one newer car and so we'll sell my 12 year old car He's been spending hours upon hours on different sites checking cars out. Hard to stave off that time suck on myself.

Food was ok for calories expended. Hands hurt from tamping soil and hauling pavers around. Fun discussion has been whether we build another paved area behind more of our home and put in a hot tub. That's TOTALLY my suggestion (the hot tub)... I should check out prices, though, since I have no freakin' idea what they run. None at all. Uh oh, I'll probably get on here tomorrow and say dumb idea
Old 08-23-2014, 06:44 AM   #161  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi. Their group room continues to be constructed; I'm so looking forward to group exercise classes again.

Dinner guests on the patio with all wearing long sleeved shirts or vests. By my choice we had watermelon for dessert rather than Boston Creme Pie - our summertime choice - CREDIT moi. The grass fed beef steaks were superb; got to test my new propane tank. It's the first 20-pound propane tank I've ever owned. Bought it after a lifetime of religiously using charcoal. Initially we used the one pound small tanks but don't like that they're disposable. It's a rite of passage most men make in their twenties so I'm a late bloomer.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for a plan for today. Your heat wave arrived as we faced a cool wave - hope your's moves East.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – " The scale keeps me in line and I'm doing ok." Sounds good for so busy with family.

maryann - Conjuring up an image of you gleaning from a prune dryer, LOL. Yep, from here you do, indeed, sound like you're living in the Garden of Eden. "it all concerns maintaining a conscious, discipline food life" sounds good to me.

Donna (new2me2) - I do remember that picture of Alaska - and that you'd just met goal weight back then. Ouch for the medical issues to deal with along with adding your eating plan and exercise plan. Super neat that you created new Advantages since your life has changed. And Kudos for eating your lunch so mindfully.

nationalparker – "Dirt and mosquito-bite covered" sounds joyful to me. Sometimes a guy just needs a new car.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, the whole shebang does seem "a bit cumbersome" at first. Then it becomes to feel less so. My goal is to make my Beck stuff as automatic as brushing my teeth which I don't think of as cumbersome even though it does take up time. Kudos for good gym time.

Readers -
Quote:
day 21 Get Ready to Weigh In

The Numbers on the Scale

If the number on the scale doesn't go down - or doesn't go down much - and you suspect you've been eating too much, don't waste time blaming yourself and having negative thoughts. Consider what you might be doing wrong and do something positive to solve the problem. Maybe you've become lax about measuring food or counting calories or carbohydrates. Maybe you need to add a few more minutes of planned exercise each day. Ask your diet coach for help in implementing any tasks you need to practice.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 172.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:29 AM   #162  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

My brother leaves tomorrow and I go back to work. I'm grateful to get back to some sort of routine. I find myself quite unsettled this morning. I ate too much yesterday and am tired of the lack of control of my food choices. The scale took a big jump upward this morning and it's my call to do something now despite being in the family food loop. I sit here writing and thinking about "today".
Ok just for today. I'm always committed to my morning smoothie. Credit. I will make my best decision for today when I hear from the family. I can get out this morning and get some exercise. I can say no choice to any unplanned eating. I can accept that tomorrow I will get back to my food planning and that is soon enough. Credit.

BBE, super yay for watermelon for dessert. It just sounds so much more appealing than BCP. Both of our grills operate with the 20# tanks, as does my weed burner. I do like the recycle system so much better. Thanks for Beck readings….very appropriate for me right now.

gardenerjoy, kudos for getting a plan together "right now.".

maryann, you and I share a favorite book! Kudos for anther angel!

Donna(new2me2), kudos for jumping back into Beck and giving yourself credit! I love it…."I have a plan for the rest of the day and by golly I will stick to it!"

nationalparker, kudos for getting out to finish your project and for finding a better day with food.

Karen(karenrn), yay for a super reboot post vacation!
Old 08-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #163  
Green Tomatoes

I've been letting myself get way too hungry, distracted by other things. And, then, it's hard to follow my plan. I'm going to take a page from Dr. Yoni's book today to schedule my meals with a time.

WI: -0.25 kg, Exercise: +30 920/1400 minutes for August, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome back, new2me2! Great to have you with us again.

BillBlueEyes: DH has found a place to refill his propane tanks rather than exchange them. It's a farm and fleet sort of place so all kinds of manliness going on there.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #164  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Credit for OP but drat for standing while I am eating. I also suspect I missed a few BLTs (bites licks and tastes) in MFP and that means my losing program will turn into a maintaining program. Read in Beck about Emotional eating. They could have put my name as a subtitle. Difficult to read about myself in the pages.

Off to pick peaches and watch DS (12yo) plow his first field with his D2 tractor.

Nationalparker: My girlfriend bought a portable, inflatable hot tub. Super cool. About $500 bucks.

new2me2: i always appreciate hearing from another California member. Welcome back.

karenrn: I officially named the month Aesthetic August (a name submitted by one of the posters) with the goal of super disciplined eating and spending. I am working on the principle "by consenting to be bound I am free." So I am limiting myself to use only what food I have in the house or what seems to appear at my door (which is really lots in this ag community.) I have not gone to the grocery store in August. I am also putting all my food in My Fit Pal.

BBE: Congrats on the BBQ. That is completely the domain of DH and I am proud to let him handle it.

gardenerjoy: Credit for monitoring and adjusting. So much of my problem is when i start to stumble I "zone" out so I don 't have to take responsibility. Then I just overeat.

Lexxiss: My heart goes out to you as you try to navigate the family food quagmire. Familynis my most difficult challenge.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #165  

Well apparently whatever clicked in my mind on Thursday has really taken affect. This morning when I got up and got ready for my normal Saturday time with my mother, I suddenly got the urge to put makeup on, lol. I haven't worn makeup in ages--I haven't really cared a whole heck of a lot about my appearance other than to make sure I am presentable for work and most public outings, lol.

I didn't write out a food plan for today as today was my grocery shopping day and the food I eat depends on what I buy, but I had a general idea of what it would be and that I needed to get more veggies in, and I've done that.

But, what I did do today is get a shiny new notebook for my Beck journey. I started a journal in one that I'd used for something else, but I really want to start one that is clean. A new beginning so to speak.

Also picked up a couple of clothing items to celebrate my commitment to changing my thought patterns. I haven't worn jeans in ages because of my size, but decided to try on a couple of pairs and to my surprise I did not think they were horrible, lol.

Yesterday's chapter was picking out two diet plans...I really have three, and I'm thinking I'll just combine all three, lol. Today's chapter is on sitting down...will read that in a little bit.

Credits today: taking more interest in my appearance, eating mindfully even without a written plan, exercised on the rebounder for 11 minutes and my total steps so far today (2:30 p.m.) 5,537, and buying an outfit that fits me for where I am right now.

nationalparker: Fantastic!

BillBlueEyes: Good job on the dessert choice and hitting the gym!!!

Lexxiss: I love a routine...it's especially nice after an extended blip in it. Good idea to think about just today.

gardenerjoy: Good job! My meals are pretty much on a set schedule and I do think it helps.

maryann: Oh, your name and MINE for emotional eating! I do still stand for my first mini meal, but I did try slowing down and being mindful of it this morning. Sitting down is today's chapter, lol, though have not read it yet.
Closed Thread