Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 08:50 PM   #196  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Fly by Friday accountability check in: up 1 pound to 159.5. Next week I will focus on making sure my behaviors are sterling.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:29 AM   #197  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Feeling better today. OP. Eating only 1300 calories yesterday was a mistake. I was FREEZING at night and was UP a pound hopefully it is only temporary!

Beck FB Friday Weekend Warm-up: This weekend if you think, “I had a hard week, I deserve to relax,” remind yourself that you DO deserve to relax, but you DON’T deserve to be overweight, so you can’t use food as a means to relax. Work on finding non-food-related ways to reward yourself after a long week. In doing so you can feel good about unwinding AND feel good about your eating and maintaining control.

Flnu wishing you a better next week.

onebyone Hurray for a fixed computer and weight loss.

Debbie/Lexxiss Kudos for healthy eating being ordinary! Enjoy the grand kids

BillBlueEyes LOL at your phone story, glad you were able to purchase what you needed and clear out your book pile today.

Cheryl/GosfordGirl Hurray for a good day with some exercise.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:44 AM   #198  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – A stellar day: gave away a dozen books to visiting relatives! They took the best of the lot - the one's that I'd only want to give away to someone who really wanted them. It made me so happy.

My contribution to making the house look like no one lives here was a success. The house looks staged like a realtor does before showing to prospective buyers. It makes me wonder about the character of the folks living here, LOL, since you can't see any reading matter or detritus of recent purchases. Eating suffered from restaurant-itis but relatives surviving each other's company was the major goal.

onebyone – Yay for a working laptop - we do get dependent on the little buggers. OK, here 'tis: Wishing you luck finishing your art pieces for your opening next Thursday.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yes, a 1981 Tercel has lived a full life and deserves retirement. The gas mileage on our new hybrid continues to astound me. Hope you find a car that pleases you.

Tricia (AZtricia) - That's a bad deal - eating less causes you to be "FREEZING at night and UP a pound." Hoping you don't assume that overeating will make you warm and lose a pound, LOL.

flnu - Sterling behaviors is a good goal.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

Of course it's better to stop eating as soon as possible. It's destructive to continue to eat in an unplanned way for the rest of the day just because you ate something that wasn't on your food plan.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 166.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #199  
Green Tomatoes

I got scheduled for my first-ever colonoscopy. Not until October, after our trip to England. But the prep surprised me and I'm already planning it. Four days of eating a low fiber diet. Nearly all the foods that I count on for a healthy diet are on the "don't eat" list. My first (sabotaging) thought was, "Well, I'll just eat junk." But I won't. Mostly because the excess sodium will make me feel miserable. Fortunately, my bread machine is capable of making white bread. We still use white pasta for a couple of our more delicate dishes. I'm also committed to eating my massive amounts of veggies for my nutrients -- they'll just have to be cooked instead of raw for a few days.

The last day before the procedure is liquids only. I'm not thinking as much about that, although the overeater in me has focused on the word "popsicles."

I feel a little crazy that I'm obsessing over this already, but maybe now that I have a few notes, I can quit thinking about it. And go back to planning my trip to England -- much more fun!

WI: -0.05 kg, Exercise: +55 1110/1400 minutes for July, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

nationalparker: thinking of you! Hoping all the ceremonies and chores have gone as well as they can under the circumstances.

onebyone: good luck with your art projects -- an opening is so exciting!

BillBlueEyes: so happy to see books going to good homes.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #200  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Sunday morning

Coaches

I felt sure I had posted last night but came to turn off the computer and hadn't - getting forgetful I think!

I made a really nice green smoothy yesterday which will become a staple I think - purple kale, half a green apple (no seeds), quarter of a lemon (peel and all), a handful of english spinach and water and ice blitzed. It was zingy and delicious. Could those of you who do smoothies put your favourite recipes in the Beck recipe thread? I need to try a few more. I have resigned myself to no gym except the once this week - walking will have to do. Next week will present more opportunities.

The weather is not like winter. Still supposedly the middle month but having daytime temps of 23C (73F) and no rain - I think Sprinter is coming early

Food yesterday was OK except I discovered I should never have ice cream in the house

BillBE - glad your books found good homes. I can't work out if DW paid for them or you paid her to deal with your 'problem'

Debbie/Lexxiss - LOL at exercising the skills developed around eating to justify the purchase of a new car. Hope the 2 y.o. party is good

Onebyone - Yay for weight loss on your new plan. Credit for being so productive on your projects. Your opening sounds exciting

Tricia - Glad you are mending. Hmmm - cold and putting on a pound. In summer?

Gardenerjoy - the prep for a colonoscopy is pretty bad. Credit for catching the sabotaging thoughts around low fibre eating

Credits
- Checked in
- Logged my food
- Ate mindfully most of the time
- Ate sitting down
- Weighed myself - still going up after the weekend away. Taking a while to show up unfortunately
- Made opportunities for incidental exercise
- Made a food plan for tomorrow - have packed lunch for work
- Made a schedule for tomorrow

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 07-26-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:05 AM   #201  

OP today. Sold lots of stuff via Craigslist, collected groceries, helped ds edit his final paper...ready to walk Teddy and off to bed!

FYI, Super Juice Me documentary free today: http://www.superjuiceme.com/

Cheryl/GosfordGirl - My favorite smoothie right now is 1/2 a chilled cantaloupe and 2 big handfuls of greens (85g/3oz) and a couple ice cubes. Love purple kale

gardenerjoy I had to do a cleanse before my hysterectomy surgery. My liquids were homemade chicken broth and coconut water. Bone broths are so healthy and healing to the gut. Sugar is awful for you, even more so with artificial color and flavor, please ignore the Popsicle idea!

BillBlueEyes Hurray for surviving relatives and a beautifully de-cluttered home.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:12 AM   #202  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - National Parents Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – I ran three full loads in the dishwasher, CREDIT moi, chasing after visitors and a party - a lifetime dishwashing high for me. Whole Foods provided dinner last night, but it was eaten from plates and glasses here. All was great fun but food exceeded my generous party/guest allocation. I even ate an unknown marble sized dark chocolate thingy. It turned out to be a cheesecake ball inside. Super good; if there are any more left in the fridge I'll force them on our visitors when they leave today.

Walked, CREDIT moi, around Boston Public Garden with visitors. The place looked unusually good. The Swan Boats were running full with happy tourists. Love to watch the teenagers peddling them - wishing that it was my summer job since one would have to end the summer in good shape. It was the first time I've seen a girl peddling one so equality has reached Boston, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, England is definitely more fun than a colonoscopy, LOL. BTDT. The several days of eating foods I normally avoid and skipping all the foods that I think healthy so rubs me wrong.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Kudos for "Made opportunities for incidental exercise" when the gym wasn't possible. [DW paid me for the books and now has to get rid of them - not a good deal for her except that she knew that by paying me I'd finally let them go.]

Tricia (AZtricia) - Yay for selling on Craigslist to get stuff reused. Thanks for the link; I watched the trailer and will attempt to watch the whole flick later today.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

Get Back on Your Diet Now

If you're tempted to keep on eating when you know you shouldn't, do the following:

Acknowledge your initial slip. Tell yourself, Okay, I shouldn't have eaten that ... I made a mistake ... This one mistake is certainly not going to make me gain weight this week.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:23 AM   #203  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!
A brief check in. I'm off to work and no I won't have Internet later. That's if I'm even home. We made it to the big birthday party last night but Kirk's daughter is ready to have her baby. We might be heading to the hospital when I get home.

Food at the party kind of sucked last night. Nothing that was really on my agenda of enjoyable but I ate anyways. I didn't have any of the Crisco cake. Credit.

Back on track today. Credit. I really prefer the way I eat now.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-27-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #204  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Everyone,

The vacation went ok. My eating was too much though, since I relied on my hunger cues instead of a plan. I really can't do that and be thin.

I'm back on my plan now, and learned that I need to make the time to make/follow a plan if I want to reach a lower weight.

I'll probably only be able to lower my stated weight by one pound for the whole month, but that's ok. The review was necessary to help me face the reality of what I need to do: I can eat whatever I want or I can eat within my calorie range and be a lower weight. It is my choice.

Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 07-27-2014, 10:04 PM   #205  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, everyone! The week has been a blur. Dad's funeral went as well as they go ... I couldn't hold the tears during Taps or the firing of the rifles, flag presentation, etc. But neither could the retired military guys in attendance, either. In good company.

Shockingly, the division of the home has gone way smoother than I ever could have imagined. I am the buffer between brother and sister ... to the point of "ask X if he thinks this is ok" ... "tell Y this is okay" ... seriously.

Am eating too much sodium and prob calories overall and not drinking enough. We're renting a truck and driving home two days this week. I think it's going to be a truck that'll be too big for me to drive. Phooey. I typically like driving on a trip, but am not comfortable driving something big. Hm - actually haven't ASKED DH if he has done this before or not. That should be addressed

Weight is still under ticker on this scale. I'm going to hope to hold it here until we leave ... but I'm giving myself a pass if it's up a smidge. I'm sleeping 2-3 hours a night and then wake up with mind racing, if I get to sleep at all. Need to take benadryl to snooze tonight.

I owe a few PMs and will hope to write when we get home - very little spare time alone here.

Last edited by nationalparker; 07-27-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #206  

Not on plan today. We watched a Danny Kaye movie with the boys, The Court Jester "The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true!" Had kettle corn with the family and got off track. Will be better tomorrow.

nationalparker Just awesome that dividing the home contents is going better than you expected. So glad that the funeral went well! You are still on my mind.

Woodland Welcome back!

Debbie/Lexxiss Kudos for avoiding the Crisco cake...sounds eww!

BillBlueEyes Mmm for cheesecake, so glad that was not here today! My youngest still enjoys reading the story about the Swan boats.

Cheryl
Old 07-28-2014, 05:46 AM   #207  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Coaches

Had a hungry day and had to distract myself - it worked. I am looking forward to a relaxing evening tonight after my weekend. It is late and I will make a quick post - see you tomorrow coaches

Credits
- Checked in
- Ate on plan
- Measured my food
- Logged my food
- Ate mindfully most of the time
- Ate sitting down
- I stopped eating when satisfied
- Used distraction and resistance techniques
- Weighed myself
- Exercised - gym scheduled for tomorrow
- Made opportunities for incidental exercise - lots of walking today to and from and in front of classes - 10.7k steps so far and more to do this evening
- Made a food plan for tomorrow
Old 07-28-2014, 06:51 AM   #208  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Happy Eid al-Fitr

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Still recovering from Saturday's lunch for 19 and dinner for 9 - that's just not our normal lifestyle. We had leftovers for all meals yesterday and the fridge is still full. Unfortunately, it's not stuff on my normal diet. Dark chocolate covered strawberries are the worst since I can justify the strawberries as so good for me and everyone knows that dark chocolate is curative of all ills. This will end; the fridge is full but it's of finite size.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to get some normal food: strawberries (un-chocolate-covered), blueberries, red bell peppers, and cherries. DW and I watched Frozen last night as part of our recovery. Both were awed by the quality of animation and detail visible on Blue-ray disk. Not that pleased that that's what we offer kids as entertainment. I am not completely without heart: I now want a loyal reindeer as my companion, LOL. And did enjoy the Beck-ish positive attitude in the song "Let It Go,"
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me I'm free!

Debbie (Lexxiss) – LOL at, "Crisco cake" - just the thought I need facing my fridge of leftovers. Happy expectant-grand-motherhood.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Kudos for "10.7k steps so far and more to do this evening" - that's a lot of moving in front of your classes, LOL.

Woodland - Yep, "hunger cues instead of a plan" can remind us how badly our hunger cues have degraded. Mine are triggered by the sight, smell, or thought of food, LOL.

nationalparker – Touched to be reminded of the solemn dignity of a military funeral. Glad that the military came through for your dad. Huge sigh of relief that the division has gone more smoothly than anticipated. I wish you some sleep to get through the remainder of this.

Tricia (AZtricia) - I'm snowed that you could sell a 1956 Danny Kaye movie (The Court Jester) - I'd swap it for Frozen, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
day 20 Get Back on Track

Get Back on Your Diet Now

If you're tempted to keep on eating when you know you shouldn't, do the following: . . .

Recommit yourself to your diet. Read this chapter again, as well as other parts of the book or relevant Response Cards.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #209  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches:

My heart is heavy this morning. The family camping trip literally ended up in a brawl with my two brothers throwing punches. This is the violence I grew up with. I heard the first angry scream and I became six years old again - terrified. Credit for me that the minute I heard the fight, I took DN and DS (both 12yo) far away down a trail. They escaped the drama. I shed bittersweet tears writing this because of the sadness that no one took a 12yo me away years ago, saving me from the chaos. I am so proud of the years of self work that made my first instinct one of fleeing destructive behavior instead of seeking it. Super credit.

DH (who broke the fight up) says in the long run it will be healthier. I set firm boundaries with three family members. One is my mother. Very painful but necessary. And I drew closer with my brother (one of the fighters). It was his son I saved from the experience. My brother knows he has work to do now and appreciates my actions. At least that is one relationship I can invest in. As for my mother ( a practicing alcoholic) all I can do is pray for her. She is hurting today, i know but I can't save her. She must be responsible for her actions.

The miracle: I continued on my food plan. Although I overate on the terrible day, I continued to tracked my food and my weekly caloric intake is stellar. It is a blessing.

Food is in MFP. Pilates is planned. My nervous energy (still being released from the drama) is going into prepping for a No Spend August. I will challenge myself to having 20 No Spend Days (NSD) - meaning no discretionary spending - which means a menu plan for the month (pantry challenge), the car gassed up, using up consumables, mending and recycling for the beginning of the school year. I have two pre-paid mandatory trips to San Francisco planned . The rest of the entertainment has to be free. Good thing exercise is free, the library, teaching my son how to cook, etc. . . . It will be fun to see how well I do. I have done a great job since January on these challenges and have saved $4,000 over last year's spending. My goal is to save another $4,000 by the end of the year.

A big help will be all the fresh fruit that is now ripe on the farm: Delicious honeydew melon (literally a packing shed full), watermelon, quince, figs, and pears. Bounty!!!!

All this planning follows lots of Beck's rule: planning, challenges beyond food, find life enriching experiences, actions. . .

GosfordGirl: I have never tried putting the lemon peel in a smoothie. My favorite fall smoothie is 100g sweet potato ( I bake a bunch of them at once, cut them up and freeze the chunks to last for up to a year), 1/2 apple, pumkin pie spice, orange juice or lemon juice, cinnamon. Yum!

AZTricia: definitely trying the melon smoothie.

BBE: LOL that you stage house for guests. I do that as well. I even buy a big house plant that will usually only survive a month. DH can farm 2000 acres but we can't keep a houseplant alive.

Lexxiss; Yeah for ignoring the Crsico cake. Usually my downfall is scraping off two pieces worth of frosting.

Woodland: You gave a great reminder. Eating healthy takes an incredible amount of time. I get on myself about "wasting so much time cooking/ shopping." I need to congratulate myself instead.

nationalparker: I know the pain when family holds little comfort. It is isolating but you are not alone.

Last edited by maryann; 07-28-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #210  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Work continues here. It is tiring and weary work, but it is avoiding a return trip in a month or two. Missing a great deal of work - the full week after my father's funeral, possibly. That is hard with the work that is piling up and I'm starting to stress.

DH now is buying the pickup that Dad had - so he will be driving that home and I'm driving the big truck with all the belongings since I cannot drive a stick shift. DARN - why did I not learn anything other than just shifting the gear from the passenger seat as a seven year old? And driving my mom batty in the process while Dad would let me when we were out alone. Long trip - 16 hours and splitting into two days of driving. At least no icy roads. I'm worried about it, though. I haven't driven a moving truck before. I think hauling the pickup, though, would be even harder.

Food - not great. Not horrible. I can deal with that for one of our last days here. I am worried to get on the scale by the weekend though. Hope to not eat a lot on the road - that's a challenge.

Maryann - my heart goes out to you with the situation there. Wise choices you made. Rest peacefully tonight knowing you stepped in and made a difference in DN's life, whether he knows it or not.
Closed Thread