Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 06:30 AM   #61  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Finally completed the 'stuck' item on my to-do list, CREDIT moi. Molehills can be harder to climb than mountains when the head gets wrapped around them wrong. Celebrated by taking my walk, CREDIT moi, to include dropping off some books at the library even though they weren't due. Gives me a sense of self-righteousness that's worth it. Counted 60 blossoms on the Sugar Snaps in our community garden when I stopped to harvest two bunches of lettuce. A nearby gardener observed with envy noting that her were vines were only 8 inches tall with no blossoms. She suggested that DW's cloth strips blowing in the breeze had saved ours from the birds. Methinks she's right. Yay for using all our mighty neurons to outsmart some bird brains.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. At folk dancing the only tempting snack on the table that required working to skip was fresh cut wedges of watermelon. Don't think there're many calories in watermelon, but I skipped it and had some raw bell peppers and broccoli - counted as my evening snack, wimpy snack though it be.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – One of the three tools I got for $1 total at Sunday's yard sale was a Stanley anvil-pruner. DW's face lit up - she always needs another pruner for some car trunk, back pack, or bag that travels. I suppose I could ask her when one uses an anvil-pruner verses a bypass-pruner now that I've become aware of the difference.

CeeJay - It's worthy of Kudos that you stopped to recognize that you'd had unplanned food and a second Kudos for making the decision to get back on the path. My take is that the speed of our success is dominated by how fast we get right back on plan.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for healthy foods when pizza and fast foods were calling. You got me drooling again for Alaskan King Salmon. (We lent three step ladders to my DS when he was renovating and drove ourselves crazy trying to live with only one. All projects require at least two for some reason.)

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Yay for a day free from the PROJECT. Another mention of salmon to make me drool. [Both males and females are called 'duck'; when gender matters, males are called 'drake' and females 'duck'. That ambiguity is addressed by some by calling females 'hen' which is wrong since 'hen' refers to chickens. 'Ducklings' is gender-less; there are no 'drakelings'.]

maryann - Yep, On-Plan is what matters - the scale will get the message in its own good time.

nationalparker – Welcome home even though it means leaving your folks. Congrats for the scale readings slowly dropping.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Kudos for staying "OP today even though I was hungry again" - as if hunger wasn't an emergency. Your schedule for next week has my head spinning.

Readers -
Quote:
day 17 End Overeating

. . . . . . . . .In order to successfully lose
weight and keep it off,
you have to stop eating
. . . . . . .when you've eaten the amount
. . . . . . . . . . of food on your plan.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 154.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #62  
Green Tomatoes

My brother and his SO + daughter came over last night to use our macho paper shredder. I made up a bag of salad greens from my garden for them to take home. DH said "as thanks for coming over to use our shredder?!" I told him, nope, that was me showing off. Heh. I put photos of the lettuce in my garden on my blog today -- my first time growing it successfully from seed.

The daughter (age 13) drove DH's tractor. She appears to be a country girl at heart, although growing up in the 'burbs, so it was fun to give her that quintessential experience.

AZtricia: loved this reminder in yesterday's Beck FB post -- "eating healthfully and having fun are not mutually exclusive." We're going on a garden tour tomorrow for some fun without food.

BillBlueEyes: DH is in charge of getting me the right tool for the job and he gave me a bypass-pruner for use in my vegetable garden -- but I'm not sure why.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Busy weekend. DS has his piano and violin recital. Farm community event and then a graduation party tomorrow. I am not looking forward to the social events. This is my 7th day OP, still no scale drop. Here is my stink'n thinking: I am due a weight drop but I will go off plan at one of the events and then never see the scale drop I deserve. I will have wasted a week. Might as well give it all up until I am safe back to my home on Monday ( which by then means I will have gone further up.) Then the cycle begins again.

Drat!

Okay. I reframe the weekend: I have had 7 days freedom from addictive foods. That is a reward in itself. I know there will be times I am uncomfortable this weekend just by the nature of the events and and the guests present. I can help myself by packing lots of OP food and giving myself permission to remove myself from the stress - take a walk, etc. . . I also give myself permission to be sad, angry, whatever I feel. Monday morning, my points restart for the week and I can take myself to a nice sushi lunch.

AZTricia: Diuretic smoothie: celery, cuke (skinned), ginger, lemon juice, 1/2 green apple, spinach, ice cubes. This is what I found online. Hoping it works.

BBE's quote help. And I am still relying on the quote last week about willpower. What would happen if 'just this once" was an everyday event. Because "just once" means I am off and overeating again.

Here is another one from Weight Matters blog:

" The body adapts to weight loss in multiple ways that make weight gain easier, and it's basically a full time job to keep it off from a vigilance perspective."

I think the term vigilance is key to me. I don't think of that negatively. I think of vigilance as putting first things first: The welfare of my son and husband,my sobriety, my health and my freedom from food addiction.

Last edited by maryann; 06-07-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hello Coaches,

Friday weigh-in for accountability: Up 3 pounds to 163. (But down two again the next day). Behaviors have been aces for the last many days although today was not so good.

Best,
Flnu
Old 06-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #65  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

The trip out for the last few grocery items took WAY longer than expected due to broken goggles and picking up a DVD of ds's performance. Our piano teacher was very chatty and wanted to visit for a while. Then first store we stopped at for swim goggles had a tiny selection, so we had to head elsewhere (ds wanted Swedish goggles). So two hours later, with only one bag of groceries from Whole Foods we made it home, over hungry, for lunch (and HOT 102F/39C today).

I purchased chickens to rotisseriee hoping the leftovers would last longer than the de-boned chicken I've purchased the last few weeks...two going on the grill soon for an early dinner. Then I can skip a snack and be OP for today.

The "lost" pound has not shown itself since earlier this week, so no progress for this week. I hope next week is better, but I really need to add back my exercise DVD to my routine and ignore my excuses, though I don't really want to do it. This is the time of year I prefer swimming, so maybe I should try that instead.

flnu
Kudos for checking in and for mostly good days.

maryann
Thanks for the recipe, today my ring feels as tight as when I had 50 more pounds. Awesome re-framing, hope you enjoy your weekend despite the stress and can stay OP.

gardenerjoy Y
our lettuce is awesome. I miss having a garden! So fun to be able to share.

BillBlueEyes
HURRAAYYYY! for no longer stuck. That has to feel good. Great that your garden is thriving and outsmarting birds.

Cheryl/GosfordGirl
Wishing you an awesome week of leave and hoping the "project" doesn't puncture your peace too often. Great list of credits!
Old 06-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #66  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! Busy day but took time to relax in the sunshine and enjoy the singing of the birds in the afternoon and while dusk settled in the evening. Skipped breakfast but solid lunch and dinner.

Tried on a few other pieces of older clothes in my closet and came away with another top and capris that fit. That is a major mental uplift.

Wrapping things up early this evening and will hit the sack super early with DH. Will aim for an early check in tomorrow so I at least get it done.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:17 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Sunday of holiday weekend

Hi Coaches

I am swinging by tonight to make sure I check in - will try to catch up tomorrow

Great re-framing Maryann - hope the weekend goes well

BillBE - glad you are unstuck - the ToDo list is a bit like the bottom of the ironing basket. The things that never get done each time you do "it"

Tricia - your to do list makes my head spin

Waving to all

Credits
- Checked in
- Ate on plan
- Ate sitting down - 50%
- I stopped eating when satisfied
- Used distraction and resistance techniques - a lot
- Weighed myself
- Exercised - Gym today
- Read my A&R cards
- Read my Beck book
Old 06-08-2014, 04:44 AM   #68  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – There was folk dancing after the wedding we attended for a bit of exercise after a long day, CREDIT moi. Weddings are just the best for catching up with those folks you only see at weddings and for watching the young adults all falling in love with each other. MY NSV was comfortably wearing a shirt and jacket that was tight six months ago.

Much food on many, many tables in a combo catered pot luck dinner followed. I did very well in one pass taking half my plate in salad, CREDIT moi. Then it went downhill as my friends insisted that I'd missed out on this and that and seconds and then desserts and then wedding cakes. Ouch, Ouch, Ouch. Got back on track immediately by having no evening snack as a small offering to the gods of mindful eating. Seems that I'd gotten confused with mindfull eating, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – So a macho paper shredder is the secret. We have a wimpy paper with a full bag sitting next to it for me to feed one-by-one - a task that never makes it even on to my to-do list. Love the pictures of lettuce; we do ours from seed also, starting under grow lights.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Great list of credits - Kudos.

maryann - I'll salute 'vigilance' with you. When I'm busy procrastinating about something extra food seems to happen. Kudos for 7th day OP.

nationalparker – Yay for the "major mental uplift" of shopping for clothes in your own closet.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Ouch for the travails of unexpectedly searching for Swedish swim goggles for a DS who takes his swimming seriously. 102F in indeed HOT.

flnu - Kudos for "Behaviors have been aces for the last many days" - the scale will get the message in its own good time.

Readers -
Quote:
day 17 End Overeating

Angela made the following Response Card:
When I feel anxious about having extra food on my
plate, I'll remind myself that even if I want to eat
it, I can use anti-craving techniques.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 156.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #69  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was not a good day but I'm determined to make this one better. It's a day for me to get back on track right away. I'm tired, as the project drags on and there is lots of family stress right now but those are just excuses. I need to take care of myself and stick with my food plan. No Choice. My food plan is written down. I will follow it.

I've done my chores this morning which include watering the yard, since my DH went back over the hill. My kitchen is clean and inviting and the bed is made. It is a good environment for me to come home to. Credit.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #70  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello. Realization dawned today after lunch. Now at home, I'm trying to eat until I'm full again. Not just until I'm not hungry, or just a small portion. I can't keep doing this or I'll be climbing right back up the scale numbers. I am very frustrated and feel that I will never ace this. I will never get back to a weight that I should be at. Why does success (well, a small scale drop) always get followed with negativity and self-sabotage in my mind and actions.

Plans getting set for my return trip to the folks in a month. At least the when will be set ... Unless events necessitate an earlier visit. Appears my sister and I will overlap by a week; if that is the case, I'm going to kinda push my brother and his wife to get out for a much-needed break and dog/house sit for them if they're open to it.

Only a few days here until DH and I head to then vacation for the long weekend. I'm already thinking, oh, no i won't fit into anything. I wish I could empower my brain to think positively. Pulling out the pink book. I keep wanting to do personals, but banging a note out and moving on to more cleaning. Lexxiss - I need your oomph here to get some even small projects done!!Credits, Bill, for getting past that item on your to-do list!! One simple one has me stalled, and there's no reason for that. Caulking a shower/tub. Easy peasey.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #71  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

nationalparker, my oomph for those procrastinated projects is to "just do it". Write it on a piece of paper and do it before you do anything else. You will feel better as soon as you finish it. I also notice I have to be more vigilant with food after a stressful time. For me, that's gotten to be the norm. Just acknowledge you need to be very mindful of your food choices and that will help. Remember,too, that the stress has not gone away you are just distanced from it. Take care of yourself!

My day was crazy busy. We weren't made aware that the big bike event was coming through town. Families come to cheer everyone on....it's a 500 mile non professional tour. I work the back room and my sales were $1000. That's a lot of pancakes and eggs! I definitely got my exercise! Midshift I thought, what is my plan for dinner? I remembered I had written it down at home. Credit. I'm not hungry but recognize I need to eat so will have my planned dinner,anyway. What a great day to get back on track!

I may/may not get here tomorrow morning. I am going to go to bed early as I need to go to my project and paint a floor before work.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:53 PM   #72  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy always feels longer than it is

Coaches, hello.

After much wavering and gnashing of teeth I managed to get my latest submission sent off on time last week. I had a basic "what's it all for" day in there as well. DH has been miserable as his work has been miserable but he is now on a week of holiday to be spent his most favorite of ways: writing code for the 1980's video game system called Vectrex. I find myself always conflicted as since he's around, I want to spend time with him, but he wants to be solitary and code and his idea of the perfect vacation is to see no one and to do nothing except code and stay up late, being a natural night owl. I'll probably have less to do with him during his vacation than I normally do. We do have a planned trip away but not sure if we are staying overnight. I have tickets to see the Bodies exhibition in Niagara Falls. Sometimes we drive somewhere turn around and drive back the same day. Sometimes I like that. Sometimes I don't.

My exercise has dropped off since last Thursday. I now have a sore knee. I don't like that. The muscles just above my left kneecap are achey a lot. I'm not sure what to do about this or how to proceed at the gym as I don't want to make things worse. I have not been following any kind of written foodplan and my weight is reflecting it. I am solidly above 275 now. I don't know what I'm doing, don't know how to stay motivated, don't know if I even believe any weightloss is possible or if I can be the disciplined person I need to be to get it done.

My resolve keeps dissolving.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-08-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #73  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Leftover chicken became chicken burritos today with a bit left for lunch tomorrow. OP today, though tired from the heat.

onebyone Sorry to hear about your sore knee. BTDT with dissolved resolve, multiple times. Think I've finally got it, though, so don't give up you too can do it. The biggest hurdle for me was giving up the victim mentality and taking charge regardless of interfering circumstances and people. You may have a different hurdle, but if you identify it and attack it (them!) you'll feel more in control.

Debbie/Lexxiss "very mindful of food choices" is awesome advice, thanks! Best of luck on tomorrow's project. Wishing you a better day today and tomorrow.

nationalparker Wonderful that you realize the difference in your eating expectations at home...the first step to a solution!

BillBlueEyes Yeah for fun dancing exercise and a fun social time, bummer for friends pushing food and multiple temptations. Wishing you a better day today and tomorrow!

Cheryl/GosfordGirl Kudos for OP and distraction use with continued re-reading of Beck.

Beck FB Today: No matter what happened with your eating over the weekend, tomorrow is a new day so make it a good eating day and start the week off feeling great!
Old 06-09-2014, 12:03 AM   #74  
Green Tomatoes

Quick check-in so I don't lose the habit. I was on an all-day Garden Tour today. I wore my FitBit so I know that I took over 11,000 steps. I deliberately avoided the parking jams at the front of each house and parked far away so that I would get more steps. It worked!

Hugs for onebyone! I hope things look better for you in the morning. I like AZtricia's helpful words.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:22 AM   #75  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Queen's Birthday

Hi Coaches

Not many challenges today as I sat on the couch for most of it catching up on TV watching. I record a number of shows each week and haven't had time to watch my different series for ages so it was quite decadent and pleasant curled up with the dogs. Today is a public holiday

I have a nice dinner in the oven and nothing planned beyond breakfast for tomorrow but I am on leave and have time to get organised. I did however undertake a bit of advanced planning and have gone through the veggie draw and prepped some food and organised what is there for the week

BillBE - Ouch for wedding food and friends who want you to be happy. You did well to limit the damage. Dancing sounds a fun was to exercise

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Credit for having a plan - hope it buffers against the stress. Although a bunch of hungry bike followers sounds fairly challenging. Hope you got to bed early

Nationalparker - Credit for working with the subtle difference between not hungry and full. And the time it takes to move from one to the other. I need to do more work in that space. Good prep for your vacation

Onebyone - sorry you feel out of control and unmotivated - also BTDT a lot. You do want to do this but for some reason there are hurdles at the moment - and they are as you say about your resolve. Not sure how you strengthen it but I do like Tricia's straight forward advice - find the hurdle and beat it, and then beat it again and again because they come back. You need to talk to a physio or trainer about your knees - to strengthen the VMO muscles to reduce potential damage

Tricia - Your heat sounds awful - are you air conditioned at home or elsewhere??

Gardenerjoy - Credit for 11 K steps

Credits
- Checked in
- Ate on plan
- Ate sitting down - 80%
- Weighed myself - still over ticker
- Exercise - 6000 steps
- Read my Beck book
Closed Thread