3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Beck Diet Solution

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2014 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #31

S/C/G: 209/203.2/140

Height: 4'11"

Haven't posted in awhile very busy at work right now. CREDIT lost 2 lbs when weighing in on June 1st. I have been OP since then recommitted for June. This is my second week of water aerobics two days a week and I love it exercise that is fun and great people found a wonderful location and the monthly dues are very reasonable. Read my DH my advantages response card for the first time yesterday so he can understand why I want to commit to eating healthy for this month. Next month we are going on a mission trip to Mexico and I will have fewer choices about what I will eat. Still on track with no standing while eating and have moved many meals to the kitchen table (we always used to eat on tv trays in front of the tv). Walked 10 minutes yesterday at lunch (not a lot but my hip can only take a little on land exercise). Feeling very positive about making changes to be more active and healthy.

Goal - Onederland (2.5 lbs away!!!!!!!!!!!)
Old 06-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #32

S/C/G: 299/282/170

Hi everyone,

So happy to report a day with lots of credits:

-ate on plan
-did physio exercises
-did strength exercises for shoulders and arms
-read advantage and response card
-checked in with my coaches
-made sure food all ready for tomorrow
-got on the scale and another pound was gone! Not sure why but I am grateful. Now just one more pound to go and that will be 10.

millie56 - yay for 2 pounds gone. Sounds like you have made some great changes.

AZtricia -wow thanks for the picture of the gecko- so cool.

deelee10- hi- welcome!!! Sorry about you mom.

flnu -my head was spinning just reading about your life. No wonder there is no routine. Awesome that you worked in a run.

onebyone- best of luck with your application. Hope you made the gym today.

Lexxiss - credit for a good food day. I am going to try to take your advice re posting every day- or at least every day I am not in the hotel for work. I know the first thing I don't face when I eat badly is posting here. So maybe this will help break that cycle for me.

BillBlueEyes - hope you enjoy the wedding, no matter what you throw on So true about the pointlessness of eating when not hungry.

GosfordGirl -I feel really connected right now also. The warmth and kindness of everyone here leaves me with the best feeling.

AZtricia- can't imagine it is too fun to go through any time at all with the washer. Sounds like you had a busy day. You have made me crave burritos- maybe this weekend.

Regroup: August 29, 2014 at 292
Five pounds gone: Sept 6th
Another five gone: Sept 27th

One for every 5 pounds:

Old 06-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #33
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 179/163/150

Height: 5-4

CeeJay - good to see you post, and great job on the credits. Glad you're back as a regular

Bill - I am smiling at your hair stylist's pros - no questions. ha ha! And too funny on your wedding attire coming from your closet - you're ON it! Smiles on this end.

AZTricia - Thanks for the critter pic from your walk. I've checked it out several times. I like glimpses into each other's worlds! I need to work on figuring out how to post a pic online and then link to it. Soon.

flunu - YOWSERS you have a lot on your plate. Good luck with the move and the sight unseen purchases. May good karma join you on this journey.

OneByOne - Credits to you for plan B on the gym. Hope it worked out well for you and you were able to make it there. I like their "See you tomorrow" - it sounds like that resonated with you.

Deelee10 - Thanks for sharing your story of your parents' health issues. It makes me feel that I can get through what is before me. I think I'll start rereading Beck with you when I get home later this week. I look forward to seeing you on here!

Lexxiss - You've had some strong posts here lately. I enjoy reading them and feeling empowered by your words. Thank you.

Just a couple of personals and will aim for more this week. Broached the subject of chemo or no to my dad as I'm leaving on Thursday and we've been in a holding pattern, putting off the dr. office and not yet calling Hospice. I said I didn't want to leave and not know what path he was taking. He got hung up on saying he wasn't going "forward" with chemo. I said you're still going forward, just with another plan to be more comfortable with less pain, more quality time with your family and friends. So then he started saying he was going forward without the chemo. I was proud of him. This blindsided him a bit and it was a good hour-long conversation and my brother had me take the lead. I'd said i want it to be tender, not bold. He struggled, but we'll take the next steps for hospice. Mom offered to buy DH's ticket to come visit us the next time I'm here caring for them. Very generous. I said no, don't worry, but the offer meant a lot to me.

One more busy day and then I fly home. Scared to face the scale but a part of me says, the he** with it - I did my best here and did things I never thought I could do - and if I gained a few pounds, I can control that. His lung cancer I cannot control. Avoidance? I hope not.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:52 PM   #34
move

S/C/G: 291/279.3 lastweek/274.3 now

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation want to end on an up note

Coaches

Sad to report I didn't go to the gym today. I did take an unplanned hour long walk through an IKEA store though. That counts for something. But while there I bought a large chocolate bar and ate it and later on bought a large bag of chips and split it with DH. Gym in the morning is all I can say.

Today I got a call, this morning actually, that I have an appointment to see the long term care facility recommended by my mom's Dr. There is a secure courtyard so she could go out and get sun and fresh air, and they are willing to show me the secured floor where she will most likely be. I'm trying not to think about it too much but that is a hard one for me, even if it has been proven it's what she needs to be safe. It is about an hour's drive north of here, in a town where we could potentially move. You have to go far from this area where we rent to be able to afford anything. And it had better be a very compelling place to put DH through that kind of commute every day. I am not happy thinking about him on the roads day in day out. So I am eager to go up there for more reasons than just my mom. Anyway, I got the call before I got to the guild and then at the guild I couldn't make anything, in fact I broke some of my small things *sigh* which is always what happens when I try to force work out of me. So that's how I ended up at IKEA cause my friend there also couldn't work. The submission was on my mind and how the images I'll need were all probably on my now frozen hard drive from my last laptop. So once I got home I started looking at all my memory sticks and found all these old pictures and, luckily, also found much of what I need for my submission. But lots of things came up on my laptop screen unexpectedly: old craft shows I went to with my best friend who I rarely get to connect with anymore. Plus family pics from special occasions and then some images of my brother. *sigh* We all took a trip to my hometown with my mother as she also grew up there and the timestamp on the images was 2010. A lot has happened in the 4 years but my weight seems exactly the same. Anyway, there was a bit of video and I caught my breath hearing the sound of my brother's voice. How I miss his voice. How I wish I had more of him talking. He was so very interesting. The one year anniversary of his death is coming up on the 15th of this month. I'm feeling it. Anyway my emotions derailed me today and I didn't go to the gym. I had the urge to go swimming tonight but waited until it went away too. Tomorrow I will go as I spent the whole day thinking about how I didn't go. Much easier to just go.

I think I need to make more of an effort moving forward. This all feels very hard tonight. Oh well. I am moving forward. *credit*

Have a good night everyone.

Last edited by onebyone : 06-03-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:18 AM   #35

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome deelee10

deelee10

And, in case you didn't get one of these 14+ years ago,

How did you learn about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you happen to wander over here to the Beck Forum from your normal travels about 3 Fat Chicks?
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years and 1 month
Old 06-04-2014, 05:23 AM   #36

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dinner on the patio was sustainable Atlantic Cod. It's so Boston to eat Cod since it rhymes with "...The Cabots talk only to God." However, this was Icelandic Cod - seems that we've fished out all our local ones. The male Northern Cardinal was busy, busy, busy and the female fluttered about. Made for colorful entertainment. Eating was on plan for the day, CREDIT moi, with a California Navel Orange in the evening as my only snack. Lunch was leftovers that get assigned to me when there's not enough for a meal for two. The volume would have been a large lunch as I would have gladly gobbled in my distant past, but I split it so that I'll have another lunch. An extra CREDIT moi for that small act.

Exercise walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping by our community garden to harvest two heads of lettuce. They taste so good in our dinner salad - I presume psychological since we buy good lettuce from the supermarket anyway. The great variable in our dinner salad is the avocado. Sometimes it's overripe, sometimes too hard, and occasionally so rotten it goes to the compost instead. I haven't mastered either buying avocados nor knowing when the ones I've bought are ready for consumption.

onebyone – The place with a secure courtyard that would allow your mom to wander a bit without fear of harm does sound appealing. Good luck working through the complications of it all. Ouch for the difficulty of producing art when the brain isn't ready.

CeeJay - Great list of credits, particularly noting, "made sure food all ready for tomorrow" since it's so Beck to prepare in advance to make staying the path easier.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Such a key point, "take care of my food/weight every single day." Beck does help me see that it's daily mindfulness that adds up. Kudos for taking the time to grab your morning smoothie.

nationalparker – That conversation with your dad was so courageous as well as a generous gift to him to allow him to move forward without suffering for making his choice. Your brain is spinning in so many new directions; Kudos for keeping yourself in mind to be aware of your food even if not perfectly on your plan. Continued supportive thoughts toward Florida.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Holy gecko - that's a neat little guy. Kudos for ducking the pizza in favor of leftover grilled chicken.

flnu - Good grief! You win the Lexxiss award for over busy. Super Kudos for running the 5 K when there is so much else going on.

millie56 - Congrats on those two pounds lost forever, particularly since it's inching you toward Onderland. That water aerobics sounds fun.

deelee10 - Yep, Kudos for posting right away instead of the oldest of Sabotaging Thoughts, I'll start tomorrow. Sending supportive thoughts as you, also, make choices for your dad. Your signature mentions IP; are you still doing that? Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
day 17 End Overeating

Overload Your Plate - and Don't Eat It All

Also remind yourself just how good you'll feel if you don't overeat versus how bad you'll feel if you do. Look back and reflect on the consequences of overeating in the past. Are you glad that you overate then, given that it contributed to your current weight? Or are you sorry? Is the ratio of being sorry to glad now about 20,000 to 1? Ask yourself, How glad will I be in 10 minutes if I overeat now?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 154.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years and 1 month
Old 06-04-2014, 05:45 AM   #37

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Late Wednesday night

Coaches

A good day with credits. I just got home - late
- finished my last class [not really a credit but really good!]
- walked 10k
- went to gym late - tough for some reason - and way too many people
- Checked in
- weighed myself - up a few pounds

Plan to read some of Beck tonight before sleep. I am working at home tomorrow so can plan food then

BillBE - Yay for the season of birds and being able to sit out side in short sleeves [not eating DW's nuts] to enjoy them

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Credit for a good food day and for surviving the "terrorist" season (an Australianism)

Onebyone - hope you get to gym to quieten the inner voice. The facility for your mum seems hopeful and will keep her safe. More to do to get that sorted out so thinking of you

flnu - Ouch - all the most stressful life events at once! And you still managed to do a run. Credit

deelee10 - Welcome - glad you posted and told us something about where you are

Tricia - Exotic wildlife and noisy frogs that imitate appliances - thanks for sharing. And thanks for the BDS FB posts. Hope the laundry piles are getting smaller

Millie56 - glad you posted and glad you have found water aerobics

CeeJay - good you are intending to keep posting - like to see you here. Great credits and Yay for another pound!

Nationalparker - Credit for broaching the difficult subjects and such a good outcome. You have planning to do and you are up for it

Short Term Goal

Old 06-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #38
move

S/C/G: 291/279.3 lastweek/274.3 now

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up dreamt

Coaches

I dreamt I overslept and didn't get to the gym and I felt really lousy for missing the early morning workout again. And then I woke up and saw I *hadn't* overslept, and then, immediately, thought "I don't want to go". Holy sabotaging thought Batman! Anyway, whatever, rolled out of bed, downed a protein drink (too early for food) and off I went. It was HARD today and I worked HARD and find myself tired and contented as I write this to you all. Wow. This getting into shape business is not easy. No one ever tells you it will be easy. They tell you dieting, losing weight, can be easy--we know that's a lie--but I don't think easy + exercise go together---usually it's exercise + some ridiculously small amount of time/effort will get you ripped.

WHATEVER. My mind is wandering. I wish I didn't have to but I have to go to the guild and make a glaze with my glaze partner for the group. Sigh. My least favorite thing is making glazes in quantity. SO TEDIOUS. My friend is not coming to get me afterall today so I have to drive. It's ok though as I can leave right after I get my task done. I located most of the images I need for my mentorship application, which is good since I need to get that written up, printed out and sent off today, or tomorrow morning at the latest.

So better go. Need some food in me before we head out. Will check in later.

Last edited by onebyone : 06-04-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #39
Enjoying la bella vita

Question now and post later, because I'll forget to ask later:
Has anyone read The Self-Compassion Diet by Jean Fain? I am always swayed by a book's cover (yes, I do judge) ... and checked it out and didn't read it and now rechecked it out and will skim tomorrow on the flight. I think it's more of the mental approach than a DIET.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #40

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches –
Thanks for the warm welcome. I first discovered 3fc in 2010. So it’s only 4 years that I’ve been on 3fc. While browsing I discovered this Beck group. So I bought the pink book and workbook. My life got crazy busy, mostly with my parents. I also heard about Ideal Protein on 3fc. Then a friend of mine was in town and she had lost 50 lbs on Ideal Protein. So I gave it a try and had great success with it. I never thought I would be able to lose as much weight again. That’s why my goal was flexible. I lost the 35 and continued to lose a little more. But life has its set backs. I am an emotional eater in every way possible – for comfort, for entertainment, for boredom, etc. And it’s the night time eating that is the most difficult for me. I need to explore more ways to stop myself from doing that in Beck.

Last night I had dinner with a group of girlfriends that tries to get together once a month. I had fish and asparagus and one glass of wine. I only ate half of what was on my plate. (Point moi!) One of them always chastises me for not eating more. I told her I was having stomach acid problems since my mother died (true, am taking Prilosec for that.) She then chastised me for having the wine. I had only had a couple of sips. She was just looking for something to criticize me about. I think I need to avoid her.

I am back on Ideal Protein but am wobbly in social situations where there are “ off plan” foods. Like a newly clean alcoholic has to avoid parties and bars. When I reach a certain point, like when I’ve been on a roll and lost 10 lbs., I’m ok. I’m just not there yet.
Naturalparker – it is not easy to deal with aging, sick parents. You have my sympathy. How much of our lives should we give up and for how long? There were times when I got so overwhelmed I would call my brother , cry and tell him I can’t do it anymore. He would make a bigger effort to help out then for a while.

This is also combined with the empty nest problem. That is really getting to me. I have 2 sons and they are gone, literally and emotionally. The youngest lives in DC and won’t even let us visit him as much as we used to. I know they have to do this and make their own lives but it’s painful. You don’t seem to lose daughters in the same way. However, my oldest DS got married last year and I’m going to be a grandmother in December! I’m very happy about that.

Onebyone- sounds like you are also dealing with parental needs. If you get her in a nice, secure place do you have to visit her every day? That would be a lot of driving. I’m very sorry about the loss of your brother. Do you have any other siblings?
Thanks everyone. Hope you all have a great day!

Started IP 1/14/11

Last edited by deelee10 : 06-04-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #41

S/C/G: 299/282/170

Hi Beckers

Well I could not believe the scale said another pound gone this morning. So that makes 10. So happy about that. Now I need to calm down and accept that pounds go rapidly in the beginning, but that does not last long.

I am on plan today. Tomorrow am off to the hotel so won't post until Friday. I am really going to try to check in every day I can as many of you have advised. Have my food packed for tomorrow and a good doable plan for Friday.

nationalparker- my aunt has lung cancer and is also not going to be able to do treatment. All I know is that she and your father are very, very brave. Wishing them both peace with the hard decisions they have had to make. Hugs to you.

onebyone- I ache for you going to see the higher security facility for your mom. I hope you find that it is going to work for her.

BillBlueEyes- I am definitely buying some avocado for this weekends salads. You sound about how I am in getting a good one- sort of a game of chance.

GosfordGirl-holy cow did you say you walked 10 kilometers yesterday and went to the gym? If the scale is up that must be muscles!!

deelee10- best of luck back on IP diet. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

Regroup: August 29, 2014 at 292
Five pounds gone: Sept 6th
Another five gone: Sept 27th

One for every 5 pounds:

Old 06-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #42
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello all. Ds's dyslexia therapy went well and she's started us on her phonics program. It is different in that it first associates the letter with a word using its most common sound then the name of the letter second. I don't understand why that will help, but we are going with it! The summer events keep sneaking in and making my calendar fill, the boys are busy both tonight and tomorrow and I had a meeting for fall planning today.

Grilled salmon for dinner. OP for today. The lost pound from yesterday was gone and another joined it, I can't remember what salty thing I had yesterday??? Hoping the scale is better tomorrow, but keeping going regardless. At this rate it will be nearly a year before I'm in my "ideal" weight range but better that then back at 260 in a year! I'm not even tempted to give up even when I stumble (thanks Beck) and I am making sure I still enjoy my food (thanks Dr. Yani) while eating enough protein to not be hungry.

CeeJay Congrats for 10 gone! Kudos for OP.

deelee10 Sounds wise to avoid the critical "friend." Kudos for a plan that works for you.

onebyone Kudos for going to the gym when you didn't want to. Glad you are contented now! Sorry for the stress of finding a relocation choice for your mom.

Cheryl/GosfordGirl
Hurray for finished with your last class. Kudos for your credits and checking in.

BillBlueEyes Kudos for your lunch credit! Yum, fresh produce tastes awesome! Looked up avocados as I never seem to consistently pick good ones either: http://www.avocadocentral.com/how-to...o-buy-avocados

nationalparker I'm glad you were able to settle some of the future plans with your dad. Wishing you safe travel home tomorrow.

millie56 Water aerobics sound fun. Kudos for the weight loss.

Love today's Beck FB Wednesday Sabotage: Life is too short so I’m just going to eat this even though I know I shouldn’t.

Response: Actually, life is too short to be spent overweight, unhappy, and unhealthy. If I want to feel great and really live my life the way I want to, then I need to do what I can to maintain a healthy weight.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #43
Enjoying la bella vita

Again, left posting until too late and now eyes are wanting to close ... wrapping up my time here until I return in a month or so. Dad said he hopes to see me again. I said of course you will - no doubt about that. The hospice info meeting went well. No rushing, which was a key.

One funny thing happened - my folks have a wonderful home health care worker who comes, ostensibly to bathe my mom, but with her being at rehab, she's also cleared to assist my father as well now. So she comes at 4 and the hospice rep was also coming at 4. I'm outside and someone I don't know shows up, so I introduce myself to this EXTREMELY young woman, who tells me this is her first time and she's very nervous and has a lot of questions for us. Um. Okay, well, we're really nervous as well. I said my father is VERY unsure about this. She looked a bit startled. So we get inside and after a few more minutes, I finally realize she's NOT the hospice rep, but a replacement home health care aide OH OK. She couldn't figure out why WE were so nervous for HER arrival, etc. And I couldn't figure out why the hospice rep was so nervous, etc. My brother and I thought it was hysterical later tonight. Clearly a sign we're tired ha ha.

No crummy snacks for me today, but food still just ok.

AZTricia -thank you for the FB post today - I needed that.

Brother suggested I bring our dog the next time I come down - that it would be relaxing company for my dad. I don't think I can because of the temps, but I know she'd love it. She is able to leap around in a melee of kids or sit quietly at your feet or on your lap and just "be" ... I might check on that, though. I said that would NOT go over well with sister, as I was not for her bringing a new puppy here when they're not doing well.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:45 AM   #44
Rosebud170

S/C/G: 311/208/176

Hello coaches,
Credits for having food ready to go for lunches for this busy week. I made a concoction with all Costco items and it is good! It is a quinoa and kale blend with a swish chard, kale, broccoli. Carrot stirfry w some sauce that it comes with and I added the rotisserie chicken breast that comes already removed from the bones. Yum! I went to Zumba tonight and got in plenty of steps at work as well. I added a protein shake for the evening to stave off cravings and so far it is working well. Off to look up "ideal protein diet" now!!
Old 06-05-2014, 04:58 AM   #45

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Thursday

Hi Coaches

A routine day spent largely at the desk. Credits include:
- walked 7K steps
- Checked in
- weighed myself - still up a few pounds
- ate to plan and am about to eat an on-plan dinner
- read a few pages of Beck - need to do more tomorrow

BillBE - Your meals always sound so well thought out - and delicious. I am learning that I dislike Shepherd avocadoes because they are too soapy and they need to be eaten ripe. There is one day between ripe and rotten so you gotta be quick. I like Hass which are currently in season here. The skin gets blacker the riper they are and if there is ANY give at all it is time to eat them. Don't know what brand you get over there

Deelee10 - will have to look up the Ideal Protein diet. Closing the kitchen can work for me in the evenings but it is a difficult time

CeeJay - LOL - not 10 kilometres but 10000 steps - which is 8 kilometres when I think about it. Yay for 10 pounds down - . And credit for food planned and packed for you day at a hotel

Tricia - the wobbles on the scale figures are hard to figure - in the end it is just the downward trend that matters and you seem to be doing that. Loved to read 'not even tempted to give up' - credit

Nationalparker - glad things are getting more settled (once you sorted out who is who)

Rosebud170 - I have been eating kale as well - my little garden is full of it and it is good. Sensible to add in more protein if you are getting hungry - I decided today to add in a shake for a snack if I wasn't making it through

Short Term Goal

Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.