Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:47 AM   #196  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Food is planned for the day and I am heading out to step class in 10 minutes.

Great lesson learned yesterday. When grocery shopping, I found a cookie that was free of most of allergens I am avoiding. Bought it to "sample" and ate two and a half servings standing up in a parking lot. Wow. Embarrassing to say but that is the truth. My addictive mind is baffling and powerful; a minute after purchase my good intentions flew out the window. I am powerless over the first bite. First ingredient on list was sugar. What about that is up for discussion? Weight is up a pound for today. No surprise but I am moving on.

Started and nearly finished The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I don't usually choose non fiction but this book is fascinating - not just because of the ethical questions raised but because of the history of medical science. One African American woman (who was not allowed to use the same drinking fountain as whites) saved millions of lives of whites because her cells were the first to survive and thrive outside of the body. They are the HeLa cells that allowed cellular research on everything from Polio to cancer to space travel. Credit for following Beck skill of "learn something new" to distract from food obsession.

Last edited by maryann; 06-25-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #197  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I feel as if I keep doing "fly bys" on here and not posting anything that's insightful. But do want to keep checking in ... even if only briefly.

Did well yesterday; made Asian lettuce cups for dinner and I've been adding extra shredded carrots and scallions. They come out tasty and light and I've been making them more often. I assume more sodium in the soy and hoisin sauce accounted for the pop up on the scale this morning. Overall food has been healthy and light, so not going to focus on that.

Will plan a picnic dinner for tomorrow night to enjoy with an outdoor jazz concert after work with DH - all I can think of is fruit salad and homemade sandwiches (chicken salad = picnic food to me, not sure why).

Maryann - thanks for mentioning that book, it's on my list, but I keep choosing lighter fare lately.

AZTricia - Smiling at your DS's focus on Legos I will be thankful to be sitting on the grass tomorrow night, not fighting mosquitoes. But a reminder to bring the spray just in case it's needed. The sun will be out the whole time, and typically they don't emerge here until after dark or in my back garden...

Bill - I'm committed to finishing my caulking job before you finish the vent fan. You've lit a fire under me!

May_bee - A belated welcome - I'm sorry I missed you earlier. Love your pansy avatar. My mom was a pansy lover and when I moved out years ago, I started planting pots of pansies every spring as a connection to her. Seeing your avatar this week brought a smile to my face.

GosfordGirl - GOOD LUCK with the home sale and credits for acknowledging that there is so much to know going into that. Keeping fingers crossed for good karma with the sale.

GardenerJoy - Ahhh, Rick Steves. A great walking partner. Congratulations on your continued efforts to keep the exercise going - you do such a great job with that, day in and day out and I admire you for that.

CeeJay - GREAT listing of credits! Especially for passing on the french fries, a fave of mine. I'd count that as more credits. Possibly one for each fry I need to do fresh advantage cards.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #198  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi everyone,

I had a pretty decent day. Food was healthy and on plan except I split a cinnamon roll with a buddy at work. I didn't do it mindlessly- I just decided that I could be satisfied with a half (a la Diet Fix advice) and I was going to eat it. So credit for thinking it out and for not going back for more. I am hoping that a more moderate approach will be more successful than my past "all or nothing" approach where anything off plan leads to bunch more off plan eating.

Lots of credits today:
listened to motivation app
read advantage and response cards
packed up food for hotel tomorrow
made a plan for Friday's food
did exercises for legs/knees/ankles twice today
checked in with my coaches

Hope everyone has a good night. Check back in on Friday.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:09 PM   #199  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

AC froze up because the filter needed changing and it was working too hard to keep upstairs cool. Hoping it is thawed and back to working in time for bed. Had co-op pickup today and I'm restocked on bulk organic items for the month. Today was OP.

Beck FB Wednesday Sabotage: I can’t believe I gave in to that craving. I can’t do this. I should just give up.
Response: Learning to lose weight and keep it off is a process and it takes time. I’m not going to learn it overnight, and I’m not going to be good at it overnight. Just because I gave in once, doesn’t negate all the other times I didn’t. I need to take an accurate picture of how things are really going and acknowledge that while I’m not perfect, I’m better than I was. As long as I keep working at it, I’ll keep moving forward.

CeeJay Yeah for moderation and long term success.

nationalparker Picnic with a concert sounds fun. We had chicken salad for dinner tonight, but it was a chicken/veggie/pasta salad.

maryann Sugar gets me too, even w/o allergens...the whole "treat" mentality I grew up with. I have just decided I'm happier without sugary desserts...happier with my weight loss and my ability to control myself. Kudos for moving on.

gardenerjoy Evening walks in the summer are the nice only early morning is better!

May bee New habits are difficult to start, hang in there. If you don't quit trying you will eventually succeed.

BillBlueEyes It feels like we have enough legos to cover a football field to a foot deep! We do have enough to cover several rooms and not leave safe stepping room. Kudos for healthy dinner and walking and persistence on your project.

Cheryl/GosfordGirl Kudos for a plan. Wishing you peace of mind as you start the sales/showings of your home.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:40 AM   #200  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Thursday evening

Hi Coaches

I am preoccupied and distracted but more-or-less on plan. Had French fries that I split with someone at lunch because cold, hungry and needy - didn't overdo it and logged it but not on plan. Saw the financial advisor to see if they could add value at this stage of my journey - I don't think they can (not for $2800) until the new (anti-[non-well off]pensioner/retiree) government legislation gets sorted out and I am closer to retirement but they did open my eyes to some possibilities to explore and that will need to be put in place before I retire so that was useful. Will need to pay a smaller amount to get aspects of my superannuation organised in the short term.

I will have to do gym tomorrow - was going to do yesterday but didn't get there. Will go and do Tai Chi tomorrow. Thought Tai Chi was for wimps - I am either now officially a wimp or it is reasonably challenging. I am doing it for balance.

I am finding it difficult to post at the moment. Not sure why - but will need to think on it

Credits - less than usual
- Checked in
- Logged my food
- Ate sitting down
- I stopped eating when satisfied
- Weighed myself
- Made opportunities for incidental exercise - not really as steps just above 5000
Old 06-26-2014, 06:20 AM   #201  

S/C/G: 180/164/115

Height: 5'0

Hi All!!

Kudos for OP to me. A couple of times, I have felt a twinge toward declaring this "not working" . LOL. Thats my pattern. I diet and then when I dont lose massively and immediately, I get frustrated and declare, "Done". Have been noticing that and gently moving myself back to commitment.

Dealing with government aid is frustrating to say the least. I make a good living and have never needed to rely on govt for anything. However they made money available to help with Sandy expenses. I know a lot of people who have given up because the paperwork is onerous and confusing. They make promises that they frustratingly break. For instance, a woman there told me I was eligible for a certain grant. All I needed was a letter from my architect. I paid him $350 and got the letter. Then she said, "oh that letter is no good. Get your money back". what??? Gov't aid is evil. Perseverance without a cookie in my hand is my mantra! Sorry for the rant.....

Yesterday was "eating slowly and mindfully". This I have practiced but its great to be reminded. I have done work with Geneen Roth. She wrote Women Food and God, and When Food is Love. She made me aware that I might like the idea of a food (ie chicken burgers sound healthy) but if I really taste it I might not like it. I was eating chicken burgers until I really tasted them and they had the texture of a kitchen sponge. I was surprised! I will enjoy keeping that in mind.

Kudos for having to not eat what I planned, and adapted. A cousin unexpectedly dropped in from Georgia. We ordered pizza. NY pizza is a food group here. Anyway I asked my sister to order me some spaghetti with marinara which I had with salad. Felt powerful and OP!

Going to read Day 6 in the pink book: Find a coach. lol.

Have a great day coaches!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:25 AM   #202  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Three steps forward, one step back on my vent project. Fortunately, I can stop to do other things while I figure out the next work around. The hole is cut, Yay, with one change needed because the new fan doesn't fit in a ceiling that's been built up over the years to be 1.5 inches thick. One trip to Home Depot will have to be repeated. CREDIT moi for working on what has to get done.

Meals were on plan, CREDIT moi, snacks weren't - Ouch. Need to keep repeating, Food doesn't install vent fans. Read a couple more short stories by Philip K. Dick. Still don't know if I'm converted, but for the moment I'm addicted.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Lovely image of you and Rick Steves converting the vernacular into "Christopher Wren's stunning churches." [Yep, that's the side dish that I couldn't remember; they offered me a side of "a piece of a baguette." I had to ask twice, "Just bare baguette?" since it seemed odd to me. When I picked up my sandwich, others were taking multiple thingies of butter which now makes sense.]

CeeJay - Yep, a planned diversion that is controlled is better than falling off the path. Kudos for being aware.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Ouch for the complexities of retirement finances. Double Ouch for having government legislation as a component to planning. Kudos for acknowledging and logging your snack.

maryann - Maybe someday sugar will be regulated as the drug that it is. I, too, enjoyed The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. The difference in the cells of each of us just astounds me. Thank you Henrietta.

nationalparker – Yep, chicken salad is picnic food - mayonnaise in the hot sun notwithstanding. Enjoy your jazz concert.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Am moved by the quote, "As long as I keep working at it, I’ll keep moving forward." Forward it the key, not despair over diversions. Ouch for air-conditioning problems in "God's Oven."

May bee - Ouch for a good plan derailed by a meeting. Terrific insight, "when I am hungry and tired is not a great time to make a plan." Kudos for working a reasonable substitute.

Readers -
Quote:
day 18 Change your Definition of Full

Break the Connection
Do the following: . . .
  • Respond to your sabotaging thoughts. When you've finished what you planned to eat, you might think, Oh, I really want to eat more. If so, tell yourself, No, I'm normally full ... I want to be thinner, so I'm going to stop eating now.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 159.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:51 AM   #203  
Enjoying la bella vita

Got so much done last night - two bags of weeds (thistle and clover mainly) pulled - thank goodness for thick gloves that prevented prickers. Feels good to make progress, even if just a bit, on chores that seem overwhelming. I had dug out and created many gardens in my yard, but without the same amount of time to commit to them over the past few springs/summers, they're overgrown and look horrible. Have to make the determination to get them completely weeded, mulched and then move from there. One will be sodded over this weekend, hopefully.

DH is now planning the picnic dinner and we're moving to baguette/crackers (me/him) and some cheese, light lemonade, and who knows what. I like that idea, and left him a brief list to either snag or I will at lunch. For a free two-hour concert, I'm putting in $$ and about two hours planning. HA.

Scale at 162 this morning, am okay with that. I am longing to see a real 159.x number this summer, but it seems so recently that I was just close to 170, so I'm not getting disappointed to stay in this range for a bit.

Beachbody - MAJOR credits for not just rolling with the pizza order and ordering what you felt was your best choice. Great job.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #204  
Green Tomatoes

I seem to have split one of my snacks into two. Both so small that they are fewer calories than what I had before. But that could easily turn into a bad habit if I keep doing it without a plan and eating them at my desk. So, back to planned snacks eaten at the table today.

WI: -0.4 kg, Exercise: +40 1160/1400 minutes for June, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I harvested so many blueberries yesterday that I didn't count them! That's a first. But not quite so many that I felt I had to report my share to My Fitness Pal. LOL.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:02 AM   #205  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches & Buddies.

Just a quick habit check in for me this morning. I hope you are all having a fantastic day!

1) Read my advantage response cards 2x -once so far today
2) Read my other response cards as needed
3) Ate slowly, sitting down, and noticing every bite - watched Youtube videos and read news
4) I gave myself credit when I engaged in healthy behaviors
5) Spontaneous exercise
6) Planned exercise
7) Tolerated hunger & cravings without giving in
8) Planned food - just a quick, boring plan; But it will do the job if I stick to it!
8b) Tracked food (just breakfast so far today)
Old 06-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #206  

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

I'm back, I think. Getting over a fungal lung infection and just 2 days off the steroids. I've gained, but not horribly [up 4 pounds] and my steroid-induced appetite seems to be receding.

So, to begin again, OP today so far.

Last edited by 6crowsgold; 06-26-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #207  
Enjoying la bella vita

Great to see you both back here, FutureFitChick and 6CrowsGold (and thankful that you're on the mend - sounds like it's been a long road for you)!
Old 06-26-2014, 09:23 PM   #208  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

OP today. Running out to take ds to his event and won't be home till late. See y'all tomorrow.

Beck FB Think Thin Thursday Tip:
Whenever you’re to stay on track during a challenging food situation (you’re at a party and are able to stick to one dessert), it’s so important to ask yourself, “How did I do it? What did I say to myself to help me stay on track?” If it was effective once, it’s helpful to remember because likely it will be effective again.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:54 AM   #209  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Hi Coaches

Intense desk day today so very low step count. I was going to go to gym but it will be tomorrow now. I was careful with food and snacks (two Brazil nuts) and know I will need to distract myself tonight.

Have to be out early to gym and shops as the house is open for viewing in the afternoon and I need to be near a phone - hopefully I deal with that OK and have healthy and enjoyable food in the house. I will need a distraction after that too

BillBE - I reckon the vent saga could drive one to snacks even though entirely unhelpful in the actual installation. Credit for doing little damage. I rather like science fiction - I haven't read Dick for a while but I used to like his challenges to epistemology and reality and his post-modern take on things. There are a couple of scientists who write and they are fun. Some great women around who I am sure you know (Suzette Hayden Elgin, Ursula Le Guinn, Doris Lessing). Haven't read it constantly for years though

Nationalparker - Credit for doing chores that need doing. Enjoy your picnic dinner

Gardenerjoy - Credit for taming the snacks. Homegrown blueberries - are they markedly better than bought?

FutureFitChick - Glad you got back to us and credit for creating new habits

6crowsgold - Great that you are back and on the mend. Steroid induced appetite is a pain so you did well to keep it at 4 pounds

Tricia - Hope your air-con got sorted and you didn't cook in that oven. Good idea for TTTT - work out what went right

Credits
- Checked in
- Ate on plan
- Measured my food
- Logged my food
- Ate sitting down
- I stopped eating when satisfied
- Used distraction and resistance techniques
- Weighed myself

- Made a food plan for tomorrow
- Made a schedule for tomorrow

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 06-27-2014 at 04:55 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:56 AM   #210  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - New Moon

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The vent fan molehill continues to present blocks. Solved the problem that would have required another trip to Home Depot. Then encountered a problem that required two trips to the local hardware store. DW is helping me - she's terrific at solving 3D problems and talking through stuck places. I may have to buy a new tool, although buying a new tool usually means that I just don't really understand the problem.

Exercise and eating were not on plan. Ouch. I need to work harder at keeping to my plans when I'm stymied by a problem. DW picked a huge bag of Sugar Snaps from our community garden; that cheered me on. I read Philip Dick short stories when I had to clear my mind.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for making the decision to move snacks from your desk to the table. [Our one small blueberry bush that exists only for the birds is still covered in inedible berries.]

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – I'll keep my fingers crossed for happy viewings of your house. I can understand that that's a tense feeling. [Doris Lessing is the only name of the three you mentioned that I recognize - but not from reading. I'm a pre-beginner in science fiction.]

FutureFitChick – Sounds like you're having a good day, especially, "Tolerated hunger & cravings without giving in" - Kudos.

nationalparker – Yay for progress "on chores that seem overwhelming" - from a guy who needs that right now. LOL at the price of a FREE concert.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Thanks for the tip reminding us to ponder our victories.

6crowsgold - Ouch for the attack on the lungs to put you out of whack. Yay for heading back to on plan.

Christie (Beachbody) - Kudos for finding your Diet Coaches before even reading Day 6 - now that's planning. Ouch for bureaucrats; with all the pain that Hurricane Sandy caused you'd think some government agency would attempt to alleviate paperwork. LOL that "NY pizza is a food group here." Interesting to differentiate between liking the idea of a food yet not its taste.

Readers -
Quote:
day 18 Change your Definition of Full

Break the Connection
Do the following: . . .
  • If you feel anxious, remind yourself that hunger is not an emergency. Remember, you can tolerate the feeling - your proved this to yourself on Day 12 (pages 121-126). Hunger will come and go, and you certainly can wait to eat until your next scheduled snack or meal - there's always another coming.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 159.
Closed Thread