Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 12:03 AM   #151  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I am in bed with my laptop and since I seem to have a connection right now I'll try for an evening check in. Food was good today and I had lots of spontaneous exercise as I must have gone up and down our stairs at least 50 times. I still remember when once was a chore. credit. I had an opportunity to resist pizza tonight and instead forged through with our planned dinner.

Christie/Beachbody, Welcome! Kudos for getting started! I have followed South Beach Diet since joining here in 2009. I chose it because at age 51 (wow now I'm 56) I wanted a healthy plan and I needed a blueprint. I had high BP, cholesterol, triglycerides and was afraid I would become diabetic. My health improved dramatically and still does.
I will say I follow SBD "loosely" these days as I incorporate several foods which aren't encouraged, but I feel are healthy choices for me; beets and pineapple are almost always in my smoothie. I also do a bit more of an intermittant fasting thing as I'm a waitress and will often work an 8 hour shift without eating or being hungry. I think my years following a healthy plan has made my BS pretty stable.
In many ways, my plan is very close to Aztricias.
I love reading/learning new things about food/nutrition. That combined with posting here every day has been a very successful journey for me.
As to BeckDietSolution, I have worked through the pink book and now focus on her Think Thin Lifetime Plan from the green book. I have a set of goals and I do lots of very careful planning in my head. When things get difficult for me I revert back to the most simple "write it down and follow it."
My life is crazy busy and full of stressful stuff. I am losing weight super slowly….focusing primarily on keeping the pounds off and resetting my screwed up metabolism.

gardenerjoy, your post reminded me of my most helpful response, "I need to make a better choice." It's been a positive response which has been pretty consistently helpful when I've had moments where I was very close to that poor food choice. For me, positive always works better.

nationalparker, thanks for checking in with us. I'm glad the service to honor your mom went well.

Aztricia, enjoy your quiet time at home. Thanks for sharing the details of your food plan. Mine is quite similar. I should try tacos on romaine, it sounds delish!

onebyone, yay for a busy day getting lots accomplished. I like how you listed every trigger and stated it did not drive you to eat. I applaud your courage at making the tax appt. even though Dh is resistant or even pissed. Having issues with food, I can relate to your need to get it resolved, no matter what anyone else thinks.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:44 AM   #152  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Tgif

Coaches

I had a work focused day but made a point of eating more interesting food. I made a soup for lunch and will have tortillas for dinner. I needed to go to gym today so that I will make three this week. I missed Monday and Tuesday and am seeing the PT on Saturday so did Wednesday, and did Tai Chi today. Interesting - quite hard work and feel very uncordinated but it will improve my balance which I need. I tried my new batch of Sauerkraut after 8 weeks of proving and it is delicious! I have hit on the right method. I did plain cabbage so now I am ready to try more mixed veggies and a kimchi. Can't get an organic wam bok here to do that but will keep trying. My milk kefir, water kefir, and beet kvass continue to be yummy

BillBE - Ouch for more snacks than planned - not like you at all. I would love to read that book and will put it on the list. I know that dogs have thrown in their lots with us (humans) long ago to the point of learning to smile. I need dogs in my life to care for and get me home. You would like Temple Grandin's work - a woman with autism, an autism activist, and an expert in "Livestock Behaviour, Design of Facilities and Humane Slaughter". I had to deal with all this stuff when I stopped being vegetarian (after 15 years) a few years ago and she is really interesting. There is also an Australian woman whose name escapes me who looks at relationships between animals.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - love the outfit - totally great for the trip away AND frugal! You are my role model.

Beachbody - Great to have you here so welcome. My plan is basically low carb Primal (Paleo with dairy added). And I am interested in fermented foods to improve gut health which also has an impact on mental health. So I eat few grains (potatoes and white rice sometimes or corn but rarely), low carb, grass fed meats and eggs, lots of veggies plain or fermented, healthy oils (no seed oils like canola or peanut or normal safflower but coconut oil, ghee or olive oil etc). I log my food in MyFitnessPlan (MFP) and try to keep my calories under 1500 and my carbs under 50 grams per day. I don't really subscribe to the thread but bookmark it and every day go to the bookmark having set my preferences to most recent first

Gardenerjoy - yay for day 5 done! Good idea to note the positive response at the top of your A&R - I am doing that! Done!

Nationalparker - So glad you were able to deliver the eulogy and that you were able to see the esteem in which your mother was held - great for your father. Glad you checked in

Tricia - Yep - tacos with lettuce are good and low carb! Glad you get a quieter week than you expected. My girls come home about the middle of July - not decided yet. I want to go away for a few days before they come home but not sure given other deadlines when that can be

Onebyone - Yay for going to the accountant - hope your DH isn't too pissed with you and comes to the party on this one. Yay for all the opportunities for eating that you didn't take, and for listing them for us

Credits
- Checked in
- Ate on plan
- Logged my food
- Ate mindfully most of the time
- Ate sitting down - NO
- I stopped eating when satisfied - Yes
- Weighed myself
- Exercised - gym - Tai Chi
- Read my A&R cards
Old 06-20-2014, 05:57 AM   #153  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome Christie (Beachbody)

Christie (Beachbody)

And, on the occasion of your arrival,

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you happen upon our Beck Forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 06-20-2014, 06:03 AM   #154  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi, trying out their reclining stationary reclining bike. This personal TV thing is such a good idea to keep distracted from counting the seconds of workout and wishing to be done. Also got some walking to get to the subway for lunch with friends.

Meals, including restaurant lunch, were on plan, CREDIT moi. Snacks have snuck back into my life - Ouch. Have to cut this out. Snacks don't reduce tension. Snacks don't reduce tension. Snacks don't reduce tension. Snacks don't reduce tension.

onebyone – Kudos, indeed, for turning it over to the accountant. Moving forward is more important than optimizing the choices. Methinks that taking on a trip through the rapids is a great idea. Gray hair is the merit badge for living - and it keeps on coming. BTDT, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I hate Hate HATE the question, "Why did I do that?" It so reminds me of being a kid when everything I did wrong brought on that question as if there was a reason I hadn't cleaned my room or done my homework. Congrats with getting done with Day 5 of The Diet Fix.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Love your casual layered look. And especially like your ability to find bargains in clothes. I feel no greater smug than to appear in public wearing clothes that cost next to nothing. I share your desire to rid my life of added sugar. Kudos for skipping that pizza in favor of your planned dinner.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Yay for homemade Sauerkraut - all the present and future inhabitants of your GI Track will thank you. Temple Grandin is one of my heroes. I heard her speak last year; she never ceases to amaze me. According to my newspapers, if you look out your window you'll see a rare white Humpback Whale. I'd love to see that.

nationalparker – Lovely to remember how your mom touched so many lives. My congratulations to you for taking on the task of delivering her eulogy.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Yay for tacos on Romaine Lettuce - Mexican Restaurants would do well to adopt that idea. And Yay for a little quiet time.

Christie (Beachbody) - Just the right attitude for a successful journey, "been there, done that, bought the tshirt." Count me as one of those who has written his own plan. Mine is unique in that my constant-weight DW prepares a thoughtfully nutritious dinner every evening where my plan is to mimic her portions. Yep, Super Kudos for getting started.

I assume that the directions given by Joy (gardenerjoy) will get you subscribed - let us know if you need more. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
day 18 Change your Definition of Full

Break the Connection
In order to lose excess weight and keep it off, you must break the connection between overfullness and normal fullness. To do so, you'll need lost and lost of experiences of eating to normal fullness and saying to yourself, This is great that I'm stopping now. You'll then begin to associate overfullness with feeling abnormal. Once you change the connection, you'll struggle so much less and feel so much less deprived.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 159.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #155  

S/C/G: 180/164/115

Height: 5'0

Hi Coaches!

Thank you all for the warm welcome! Made my advantage card yesterday and will pick two plans today. I am eating healthy since 9/2012 but havent lost weight and Im guessing it was two things: too much food and I just found out I have a dairy allergy. No dairy will join no processed food, little gluten, low carb. Stopped dairy on 6/ 2/14 when I found out. I use olive oil, and coconut oil. Just added more soy milk (not happy about that but need something in coffee) and earth balance spread to compensate for dairy.

I love to cook but haven't had a decent kitchen since the hurricane in Oct 2012. My sister and I are building a new 2 family house where we will live with our respective families. WOO HOO!!! Move in date August 1, 2014. I have been "displaced" for a long time. Several months after the hurricane, in March 2013, I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer. I went through surgery and 6 months chemo and my prognosis is very good. Going for a cure!

I am tired of this battle and found you all by trolling around the 3 fat chicks site. In my work, I am familiar with Dr Judith Becks Dad, Aaron Beck ..one of the founders of CBT. When I saw you I felt like I had to give it a try.

Credits
Logged on and posted
Did my advantage card
Exploring different food plans

Thank you all again and I look forward to getting to know you !!
Old 06-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #156  
Green Tomatoes

Day 6 on my second round through The Diet Fix. Exercise! I can attest to the power of doing something, anything, every day. He doesn't mention it, but counting streaks can be very motivating. Yesterday was Day 335 of daily exercise.

I had a strong desire to eat yesterday after working hard all day. The most effective response was: I am not a ditch digger so I don't need extra calories when I work hard.

WI: +0.3 kg, Exercise: +30 870/1400 minutes for June, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

nationalparker: glad to hear that the funeral went well with lots of attention.

Beachbody: I've been a cancer survivor since 1985 and there's at least one more of us on the thread. You've been through the wringer in the last couple of years. I found the weight loss journey with Beck and this group to be a wonderfully positive experience -- I hope it is for you, too.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #157  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Still need to catch up - hope to do that this weekend. I enjoy the older posts and need to see what everyone's been up to

I'm getting so frustrated at the way things continue to decline with our relationships among my brother, sister and myself and Dad. I am tired of being the harmonizer personality, trying to smooth things over. I've had enough of the drama, victim-mentality, martyr, whatever is going on with them. I know everyone is grieving in their own way, but the inner fighting gives me an upset stomach.

Weight is under ticker, but that's on a different scale. Despite the food around here, I've done superbly this week, I think. A bit of an indulgence two days, but the food the rest of the day was light. Meal #2 of a thai dinner lunch will be the third.

Welcome, BeachBody! I look forward to seeing the challenges and solutions you'll bring!
Old 06-20-2014, 10:16 PM   #158  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello Coaches,

So glad it is Friday night. I think June has sapped my energy- I find I am just beat at the end of the day. Looking forward to a week off in July and then 2 or 3 off in August.

Credit today for:
did stretching and exercises twice for leg/knee/ankle
did arm and shoulder exercises
rode exercise bike
ate healthy and on plan
checked in with my coaches
read advantage and response cards
listened to motivation app
made plan for tomorrow

Have a good weekend everyone!
Old 06-20-2014, 10:54 PM   #159  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

OP today. Collected groceries so that I'll be ready for company tomorrow. Grandparents, Great-Grandma, and one cousin are stopping by to celebrate youngest's b-day. Hot and worn out!

Beck FB Friday Weekend Warm-up:
It’s likely you’ll encounter lots of food this weekend, and it’s true that if you want to lose weight, you probably can’t eat it all. But remember, when you say “no” to something, you’re saying “yes” to other things. When you say “no” to extra food, you’re saying “yes” to losing weight, being on track, feeling proud of yourself, and so much more.

CeeJay Good to "see" you. June is wearing me down too. Kudos for all your exercise.

nationalparker
So sorry about the stressful situation with you siblings. Kudos for healthy eating.

gardenerjoy Awesome streak of exercise!!

Beachbody
Wishing you the best in finding/designing a food plan to fit you.

BillBlueEyes
Exercise equipment is extremely boring and distraction helps! Hope you figure out the snack attack defense.

Cheryl/GosfordGir
l Kudos for interesting food and exercise plans. I love sauerkraut, but I'm the only one in my family.

Debbie/Lexxiss
Congrats on resisting pizza and having good food choices. Tacos are good on romaine. The re fried beans spread thinly help the meat and toppings to stay in place and the stem of romaine crunches nicely.

onebyone
Fun new avatar. Glad you were able to get the accounting done and off your plate.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:08 PM   #160  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default tgif

Coaches:

I overate at dinner and felt yukky. I think I am starting to want to be consistently op once more.

Had a grueling day trying to install the gate with my client. In the end we had to abandon it for now as the hinges in his cedar posts keep twisting and turning and they are shifting under the weight of the gate itself. A solution for this has to be found. When it is, the gate will be up in about an hour or so. Everything else has been completed. I've attached a jpg of the place where it will go, but the dinosaurs will be attached to those boards behind them. The dinos are called "Primeaval Chatterboxes" and their design is a drawing given to my client by the 8 yr old son of a friend of his. BTW his wife told me she's wanted a gate for 20 years, as my client used to just push a log in front of this opening to keep his kids in the yard when they were little. She then said "I wanted a gate, but didn't think it'd be this one." LOL.

I ate lunch at my clients' place and they eat super clean and organic and vegetarian. I used coconut oil as a spread for Finnish bread. (It's all crust! my client happily explained to me.) I thought, when I tried it, (the coconut oil not the Finnish bread), why bother? Meh.

*credit for weighing in and I am down 1+lbs for the week. Good. Recorded it. Tomorrow I am going either in a kayak or a canoe on the Grand River for the day then camping overnight. DH seems keen. I am as well, but not to wake up cold and clammy--to me the worst part of the camping experience.

Happy Summer Solstice/Winter Solstice everyone! BTW here is a fun way to celebrate the solstice--take a picture of the sunset on the longest or shortest day of the year and submit it to a website where they are collecting these images/videos. I think it'll be great to be part of this:

http://www.set-together.com/about/

Lexxiss Your outfit is so perfect for Key West! *credit* you look like fun personified wearing it! Awesome.

Better get some shut eye. Big day ahead. Will see you here on Sunday if there's no internet where I am!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg almostready.jpg (39.6 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by onebyone; 06-20-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:54 AM   #161  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Wink Summer - oops Winter is here

Coaches

Did my chores and shopped today. Now I want to create menus tomorrow so I know what I am eating all week. I finds that so difficult! Will post tomorrow to show progress of food planning. Winter has arrived but it is one of the warmest June's on record

BillBE - Yay for gym. I have started to take earphones to distract myself with TV - nothing so high end as personal tvs! Ouch for snacks - sneaky little devils

Beachbody - You have survived a lot in the last few years - I hope weightloss is as doable for you. I am really glad to have a CBT practitioner here and will look forward to your postings. I am a cancer survivor (breast) but under the 5 year magic line - very positive but still haven't hit the milestones

Gardenerjoy - Credit for Day 6 done and dusted. Credit for distracting yourself from the desire for extra food yesterday

Nationalparker - sympathy for family dynamics and hope it takes a less centre stage positioning. Yay for weight under ticker - you are doing so well with all that is happening

CeeJay - great list of credits and good to see you here

Tricia - Yay for getting organised for the weekend and week by shopping even in the heat. Hope the birthday goes really well. Love the reading - especially the focus on what you are saying YES to

Onebyone - sorry for the complications with the gate - looks amazing and looking forward to a picture of the final installation. Yay that you want to be "consistently on plane".

Credits
- Checked in
- Ate on plan
- Logged my food
- Ate mindfully most of the time
- I stopped eating when satisfied
- Used distraction and resistance techniques
- Weighed myself
- Exercised - gym with trainer today
- Read my A&R cards
- Read my Beck book
- Made a food plan for tomorrow
- Made a schedule for tomorrow
Old 06-21-2014, 05:54 AM   #162  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Summer Solstice - Winter Solstice (Down Under)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to the better-than-Whole-Foods place to buy local made Greek yogurt for the fruit salad for dinner. Also walked to our community garden to harvest lettuce and Sugar Snaps. All the Sugar Snaps arrived at once. For some reason we can't put the seeds in the ground a few days apart to spread out the bounty - can't remember why, I'll ask DW later.

Dinner on the patio for seven was just splendid: Sugar Snaps with humus for appetizers, grilled salmon, pasta salad with fresh corn kernels, BIG salad of just-picked lettuce, fruit salad with Greek yogurt for dessert. Everyone was satisfied and DW and I were pleased that we'd served the foods we consider healthy to guests. Snacking was constrained to only one item - better but still Ouch.

onebyone – Waving toward the Grand River as you paddle toward a wilderness weekend. Love the notion of a gate created from a kid's drawing. That will be such a happy entrance.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Stealing this one, "I am not a ditch digger."

CeeJay - Yay for the joy of looking forward to vacation time.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Don't know how you're supposed to enjoy winter unless it gets cold. DW plans a week's menu as she puts together her shopping list each week - she's just always done that. "How else could I shop?" Kudos for tackling the task even when it's difficult.

nationalparker – Ouch for the dynamics of a family in grief. Here's hoping that time will help with smoothing. Kudos for doing superbly while surrounded by food.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Happy Birthday to your youngest DS. Thanks for the tip reminding us that saying 'no' to one thing also means saying 'yes' to other things.

Christie (Beachbody) - Good grief! You're referring to Hurricane Sandy. Congrats for progressing so far in recovery that you're just a few months away from moving into your new house. And Congrats again for your attitude toward personal recovery, "Going for a cure!" Would you care to share some of your Advantages? My number 1 is, "Healthy life style allows 'I am engaged'."

Readers -
Quote:
day 18 Change your Definition of Full

Break the Connection
Do the following:
  • For a month, after each meal, ask yourself Could I easily go for a moderate to brisk walk? If you're not sure whether or not you can, try it.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 159.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:45 AM   #163  

S/C/G: 180/164/115

Height: 5'0

Hi all!

Did well yesterday. Took a yoga class that kicked my butt and felt great at the same time. That is my new Friday afternoon appointment! Ate mindfully but I still think too much. Trying to see where I am physically satisfied. Weighed in and wrote at the top of the page that many weights over many days will take the importance out of just one.

With the cancer, my first year checkups (colonoscopy, ct scan) all were good. No sign. 4 more to go to be clear. I file this under "If you are going to worry, dont pray, If you are going to pray, dont worry". Praying.

My advantages include: My knees wont hurt, no more humiliation, cute clothes, feel good about myself enough to date. There are many others and the list is growing as I think about it.

Two diet plans: counting exchanges and counting calories. I actually found the weight watchers book from the 80s on Amazon. Should be delivered today. I hoping it will be easier to fit my organic, new age (lol), eating habits into these frameworks.

Exercise: something every day. My choices: swim (just joined the town pool), bike the boardwalk, yoga, and weightlifting at koko fit club. I will add things as I lose and it is more comfortable.

I like when you all respond individually so I will be trying that tomorrow. Its a brave new world!!! Boy we are from all over the world too! lol
Old 06-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #164  
Green Tomatoes

I already weathered one challenge this morning -- a trip to the Farmers Market before breakfast, but I didn't eat there. I came home and had my normal breakfast. I may plan a Farmers Market breakfast (crepes or scones or grilled sandwiches) at some point this summer. But today was not the day because we're going out to eat tonight. We'll be going to a tapas place with the nephew and his new bride before taking them to see The Magic Flute as produced by Isaac Mizrahi, the fashion designer. We took them to see A Little Night Music, Mizrahi's first opera production a couple of years ago. It was magical, so I wanted to make sure we saw this second show as well.

At the tapas place, I intend to be slow in taking my share -- let the 20-somethings eat most of what's brought to the table. I'll have one drink and enforce that by volunteering to be the designated driver. If we order dessert, it will be split between the 4 of us, so I'll only have a couple bites.

WI: +0.1 kg, Exercise: +50 920/1400 minutes for June, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

nationalparker: so sorry to hear of the family troubles. Such a tough time for everyone. Do you get to head home soon? I found it hard to leave my mom after my dad died, but it turned out that's what we both needed.

Beachbody: individual responses are fun and helpful for staying engaged, but we also want you to feel free to post when you don't have the time or energy for them. It's always best to get the buddy / coach report done even if the personals have to be curtailed. I do none, some, or all depending on how my day is going.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #165  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Mendocino was beautiful - as you can see. I made some big decisions about going forward with this next stage of our lives - DS becoming a teen and other things. I want to let go of the ME my head says I should be ( perfect mother, constantly scheduled minion, etc. . . and be open to what my god wants me to be which I have a feeling is much less cookie cutter. ) Felt good coming home and then had a super crappy morning. I find this often happens the day after a retreat. So I am restarting the day by sitting with a cup of coffee and telling the truth.

I was very happy with the food I ate. Beachbody: I stay away from the seven most common allergens which seems to make me much less hungry (wheat,corn, soy, artificial sweetener, dairy, eggs, and peanuts). I hiked up a storm and drank lots of water. Then DH took me to dinner last night - sushi. Scale is up 4 pounds higher than when I left three days ago. Extremely discouraging. My head says "You could have eaten everything in sight and gained four pounds."

Reset: Huge credit for eating well. The scale will take care of itself. My body is still in huge flux from medication changes and we all know what sushi does.

I don't change my ticker till the end of the month. I have a little bit of time to keep up with my plan and see if it needs adjustments.

BTW: I really identified with many parts of The Middlesteins audiobook although it was sobering to read about the most disastrous aspects of compulsive overeating. I followed through on my book list (classics I have neglected) and listened to The Secret Garden on the way home. A perfect choice to encourage being gentle with myself.

Best to all.

Last edited by maryann; 06-21-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Closed Thread