Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #46  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello Coaches.

I'm feeling mostly better. My insides are still sore though and I'm not very hungry--which is a good thing. I had a bit of a slap from my diet program today. As I was entering the exercise for walking the dog it popped up a message that for such a small exercise that it was better to just let it be part of my background metabolism and never enter it - ouch! I guess I wouldn't enter brushing my teeth, so walking the dog as my toothbrush level of exercise (DF) is just a part of my day and not really "exercise".

Rotisserie-ing two chickens for today's dinner and the left-overs for the week's lunches. Going to do my exercise DVD tomorrow for "real" exercise. OP under 1700 cal today.

maryann Enjoy your little walk Glad your dh is fine. Wow, you are super at all your prep! Set for half a year on even one item is amazing. I can not believe someone would steal your cart -what!?! Huge kudos for your busy day.

Wannabehealthy Welcome! Hope you pull lots of helpful info from another time through Beck.

millie56 Welcome to the journey!

gardenerjoy Yogurt is an awesome choice! Going with a substitute, grilled meal, is great flexibility and healthy too. Our tastes have changed too as we've begun to eat healthier. Have not tried stronger greens recently though kale tastes almost sweet now, so maybe we'd like them.

onebyone Kudos for tracking and planning a snack. Your dessert decision sounds wise.

6crowsgold Congrats for another pound gone and 1/2 way done!

BillBlueEyes Your baskets sound great. I love bean soup. My favorite with a ham bone is a pinto bean recipe from an old Consumer Reports Bean, Pea, and Lentil cookbook. YUM! The heritage beans were a wide/flat version of green beans, golden something, that was sweet and flavorful...only a couple left in the veggie tray.

Chery/GosfordGirl Wishing you the best as you figure out retirement. Finance stuff long term is so stressful. Really weird about the yogurt labels! Guess you have to read everything!

CeeJay Hurray for sane and OP!

nationalparker So sorry you sister is being difficult still. Your flowers sound beautiful!

Last edited by AZtricia; 05-06-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #47  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Busy, busy day. Need more sleep so will be brief.

Wanted to get in some gardening after work, but didnt get home until late, and got started with dinner so we could eat by 8.

Id like to pick up a few more geraniums for the patio now...they remind me of Italy ... everything grew so wonderfully there. Bougainvillea is a fave but after many many failed attempts in this climate, no more money wasted and dashed dreams of it growing robustly. Patio already looks spring like... now can or will I start waking up earlier to enjoy time out there in the early morning hours..I'm not a willing early riser.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:54 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Good evening coaches

I am just back from gym. I did 10 minutes on the bike - I still find it quite difficult so good enough. I decided to tackle the cross trainer - something I find impossible. I lasted 2 minutes. Let's see if I can increase that every week - bit like the 0 to 5K

Lunch was a disaster - I had packed something for lunch but not that interesting. When I stopped to get a birthday gift for a work colleague I bought a curried seafood pie - it was horrible and I ate it and it was a waste of calories. I really would have preferred what I had with me for lunch! Moving on. I see the boss tomorrow morning - not keen on it and can't imagine how to prepare

BillBE - ham is good and ham soup is also good - you will need to save it for next winter won't you? Glad you are resting up - viruses need time and rest (apparently). "Cinco de Mayo" - 5th of May - do you guys celebrate it?

6crowsgold - night foraging / sleep walking does indeed sound weird and interesting! And Lunesta sounds like an interesting hypnotic. That would be an unsettling experience for you. Glad the weight loss stuck

Onebyone - fabulous avatar - looks right through you. Credit for doing well with cake and snacks and eating unplanned food.

Gardenerjoy - credit for workable substitutions that also satisfied

Wannabehealthy - Welcome - this is a good place to be

Maryann - True - we are all trying to avoid the health and functional impact of unhealthful eating - I forget sometimes that it is not just about fitting into my clothes

Millie56 - Welcome - glad you had a great realisation with Beck. Looking forward to hearing more about your journey

Tricia - Glad you are improving. DF does go on about how few calories simple exercise really burns so I ignore MFP when it tries to tell me I can eat more - sounds like your program is more sensible!

Nationalparker - your garden and patio sounds like a fine distraction. And I know what you mean about sitting out on one in the early morning as the sun comes out - good for the soul
Old 05-06-2014, 05:30 AM   #49  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome Carol Sue (Wannabehealthy)

Carol Sue (Wannabehealthy)

Just in case you didn't get one of these three years and 1680 posts ago,

How did you first discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you happen to wander over to this Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 05-06-2014, 05:30 AM   #50  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome millie56

millie56

Just in case you didn't get one of these seven months ago,

How did you come upon the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 05-06-2014, 05:30 AM   #51  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - International No Diet Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Boring in the not-so-good way. Yesterday repeated the day before: skipped appointments, ate ham, spent time in bed moaning, little exercise. Oh Well.

Eating was on plan since it would have taken energy to do otherwise, LOL - but CREDIT moi anyway. I did walk to the library to pick up a book for DW, so mini-CREDIT moi for a mini-walk.

onebyone – Seems like a day mastering stopping - Kudos for that. And Kudos for being able to extract the compliment within "Pretty bland, good, but really ordinary" - LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for a glorious day. DW arrived home from an errand to Home Depot with a peat moss pot of 4 flat parsley plants that "followed her home." One, with cocoa mulch, went to the kids next door who're mesmerized with the chocolate smell.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Special Kudos for "2 minutes" on "something I find impossible" - that's the spirit. [Cinco de Mayo is appropriated by the college kids as an excuse for drinking. I'm led to understand that it's not celebrated in Mexico.]

maryann - "cleared for another five years" is the best result possible - Congrats to your DH for good health. Hospitals do make themselves easy to hate.

nationalparker – Can almost smell your patio from here. Kudos for tending to your environment.

Tricia (AZtricia) - I am aghast at your cheeky diet program - the nerve. Kudos for OP despite the aroma of Rotisserie-ing chickens.

6crowsgold - Yep, I, too, love it to discover a weight loss "stuck." Congrats for being comfortably past your midway point.

Carol Sue (Wannabehealthy) - Love the image of your Beck book being rescued from the donate box. It's always a pleasure to have an experienced 3FC'er drop by - hope you decide to stay and join us.

millie56 - Neat to have such a big milestone as Onderland within a five pound reach. Kudos for recognizing yourself as not having an eating disorder and a good candidate for the Beck Strategies. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
day 15 Monitor Your Eating

The Benefits of writing Down What You Eat

Continually monitoring what you eat will provide you with the following benefits:
It helps you recognize and solve problems. By taking time each night to see if you strayed from your eating plan - and why - you can figure out how to correct the problem n the future. Instead of labeling yourself as a failure for overeating or engaging in unplanned eating, you can see these behaviors as solvable problems and not as personal failures.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 143.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:41 AM   #52  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

As usual, I'm multi-tasking before work....dealing with slow internet trying to get business tasks accomplished as well as check-in's.

Welcome mille56 and WannaBeHealthy!

to all our "regulars"!

Food choices have been healthy yet moderately spontaneous. When I can work healthy and spontaneous I am ok with that. I continue to squash spontaneous eating at work making better choices when I need to eat. Yesterday's work meal was 2 OE eggs on 2 heels of sourdough. Credit.

We are up early packing for a trip over the hill right after work. Mom has a Dr. apt tomorrow so we get a couple of days soaking in the pool before we start back on the rental reno on Friday.

Take care everyone!
Old 05-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #53  

Just had to share in light of the ding from my diet software and the discussions of Diet Fix.
From Beck FB today:
Tuesday Reality Check: Unless you’re doing something like training for a marathon and truly do have different fuel needs, it’s important to separate your exercise from your eating. People tend to overestimate the amount of calories they burn while exercising, and consequently impede themselves from losing weight because they have the sabotaging thought, “It’s okay to eat this [extra food] since I exercised today.”

I will check in later because it is only just after breakfast here. Breakfast OP, up early to walk pup and avoid the heat.

Last edited by AZtricia; 05-06-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #54  
Green Tomatoes

The day kept changing on me, but I made good substitutes for what I originally planned.

I worked out my first 5 day summary and discovered that the days I consumed the lowest calories were also the days I had the lowest Degree of Difficulty. I entertained for a few minutes the possibility that the cause and effect meant that by consuming fewer calories, I would have easier days. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it goes the other way -- on my easier days, I consume fewer calories.

So, did the data tell me how to make easier days? Well, the easiest day was Sunday -- the day I took off from all the things that count as "work." That's probably not a useful bit of information.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +50 215/1500 minutes for May, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, wannabehealthy and millie56! Great to see you in this thread!

BillBlueEyes: flat leaf parsley is one of my most useful garden plants. I grow it from seed directly sown in the ground -- that requires lots of patience because they take a month to sprout. They've worked, though, except for the year that I forgot where I planted them and planted something else over the top during that month when they appeared to do nothing.

GosfordGirl: I celebrate Cinco de Mayo by avoiding, by miles if possible, all Mexican restaurants because they are completely packed with customers parked in every spot for blocks and blocks.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

Drive-by day! OP so far today, but not doing the Fast today.

I feel oddly sickish, wondering if it's time to change the Blood Pressure meds in view of the [small] weight loss. Will consult with the Dr. about the low readings I've been getting on the daily check.

Stumping down the road like a grumpy, overweight Chihuahua at the back of the pack...[visual image courtesy of Rancho de Chihuahua website!].
Old 05-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 210.4/209.8/155

Height: 4'11"

Thumbs up Starting with Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
millie56

Just in case you didn't get one of these seven months ago,

How did you come upon the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Thanks so much and no I didn't get one seven months ago but this is a new beginning. I found about about both the book and this forum by browsing 3 Fat Chicks. I was looking for what program I could work with and actually succeed. I found Dr. Beck's book at the library and just made my Advantages Response Card today. Day 1 Done -
Looking into Volumetrics or Intutive eating as a food plan but still uncertain but that chapter is for tomorrow.
Tonight at my birthday celebration eating ice cream but only having one small portion and not taking any leftovers home (my undoing). Fourteen days before starting a diet seems extreme but I will be patient and do it one day at a time.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:11 PM   #57  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello all, and welcome millie56 and wannabehealthy!
Wanted to check in earlier tonight as I still have work to get done tonight, and need to get kicking on whatever will be for dinner. I am not planning meals out like I should, but winging it and just trying to focus on eating less. I think dinner will be peppers, onions and corn, the leftover turkey italian sausage medallions, with some sweet potato chunks, I think. Make it colorful and a few different ingredients.

A gorgeous, sunny evening here. The birds are chirping and tweeting and just having conversations in all the trees around here. That's all I hear this evening - light wind chimes and the birds. We have a fairly peaceful neighborhood and the main noise in the summer is a few young girls down the street who screech loudly when playing. At least that's joyful noise and not a couple fighting, etc. Some critter dug up a few of my pots, so will do some repair work and water everything this evening.

Food has been OP today - proud to say so. Office went out for lunch and I ran a few errands to avoid having to go this evening. Ate small meal at home.

Activity level is still basically nil ... will get that moving here soon.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #58  

Hello Coaches,

Finished today under 1800 calories again. OP
Did my DVD and walked dog. Exercise OP

Happy news, taking a bunch of too big clothing to donate and purchased two new pairs of shorts 4 sizes smaller than last year. Stuff I bought only a couple months ago is already too big so trading down. Slow works much better for weight loss, but I have to say it would be "nice" if it were faster!

nationalparker Kudos for OP. Colorful is good our dinner was colorful too tonight.

millie56
Patient is good! Welcome and Congrats for finishing day 1!

6crowsgold
LOVED your word picture, hope you figure out the medication you need.

gardenerjoy
Kudos for reviewing your DOD.

Lexxiss Hurray for soaking in the pool enjoy your break.

BillBlueEyes Kudos for a walk to the library. Sounds like your still not feeling 100%, hope you are better soon.

GosfordGirl/Cheryl
Kudos for gym time. I did NOT like the cross trainer the one time I tried it. The motion is awkward and I don't like that you can't pick up your feet, it makes mine sore.

Our colorful veggie tray with the last of the heritage beans:

Last edited by AZtricia; 05-06-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi everyone,

Happy to report an on plan day. That's 4 in a row. I really feel better when I don't eat sugar and very little wheat. I am writing down what I eat and counting calories. I am using Beck strategies and also information from the Diet Fix. I am trying to take stock every day about where I am at. I have to work really hard at recognizing when things start to slide and turn it around this time, instead of going on a 2 or 3 week overeating spree. My psyche can't take any more of this yo-yo eating life.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:56 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Exclamation Saw the Dean today

Coaches

A really quick check in - credit for all the success and goals made that I see! Stellar

I have had an on plan day - I am preparing dinner and it is on plan too! I made my steps (but only 7000) for the day and 12 active minutes. I can usually do better but I had a busy meeting day

I met the Dean this morning and he was prepared to go to senior management but because I have so much leave accumulated it won't work. I am happy that I have one semester to work after this and at least one year plus of long service leave and annual leave and then I am gone! I also put my house on the market today - it is in a suburb that I don't think that in retirement I can live in. I have been living in a studio apartment near the city and need to think about where to retire to. My house is on a steep block, on a steep street with no access to public transport so I need to sell. I have been resisting it and have now made the decision. I am very positive about it. After it sells I will think about where I might live in retirement. So it is an interesting and exciting but unsettling time. I hope it sells quickly or I will be fretting. My father's house will also go on the market this week so hopefully it sells easily and then I can decide what is possible. It is odd that my mother's and father's house will be gone.

All these things do impact on food because they are a distraction from sensible planning and eating. I hope I can stay on-track through the process but I am looking forward to change
Closed Thread