3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Beck Diet Solution

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2014 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #121

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

Argh! I've been quite sick with asthma the last while. No exercise and drifting into eating what ever comforts me. Climbing back on the wagon and wondering what damage I've done.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #122

S/C/G: 209/202.4/140

Height: 4'11"

Still on discovery journey - my BMI is 41% which means I am "severly obese" any my sedentary calorie requirement to maintain my weight is 2448 so a 1,000 calorie deficient would be approximately a 1400 calorie diet plan. Most dieticians have started me on 1,000 to 1,200 calories a day and then when I fall off that restrictive eating plan I just quit. I have been on "learn about behaviors" for 12 days now and feel like I am just beginning. I weigh in again tomorrow morning despite not having a carved in stone food plan right now I am just trying to eat healthier. Last night I made a green salad and then a goulash eliminating corn and adding zuchinni instead. I also brought fruit to work for snacks as the last food plan I was on snacks were forbidden. When I get hungry I want to have a healthy choice something that will be good in my plan today I had a banana at 10:30 and have 6 oz of cubed watermelon for 3:30 snack. Had an egg, whole wheat bun with 1/2 slice of American cheese and 1/2 slice ham for breakfast - ate healthy choice soup added a can of green beans for lunch and my DH is baking pork tenderloin for dinner with cauliflower and green salad. Again NO CHOICE I cannot snack at square dance class as I MUST sit down to eat. Weight in tomorrow morning hoping for a loss even if it is tenths on a pound.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #123

S/C/G: 173/ 158/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

A triumph - no packaged candy at work. I liked the talk of the newbies "No Choice" and I did it. I told myself, "If you must have sweets make it anything but candy." There was nothing else but candy. Planned fig cookies helped with the craving as did a yummy leftover lunch.

So I am actually TAKING my comp day tomorrow which will give me a five day break. I am off to the Dr. in the continue pursuit of managing/ accepting my mood swings. I realize these last few weeks I have been self medicating with sugar. I logged my food. Weight is one pound under ticker.

Last edited by maryann : 05-14-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #124
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 179/160/150

Height: 5-4

Day was pretty much a wash - but car repair was completed. Feel good about that being tackled with taking the day off. Took about four hours and they initially estimated one amount and told me it'd be more when I came in for the scheduled appointment. Then he added more to it and I said, well, that doesn't work because I waited while the last fella looked it all up and I brought cash for the 5% discount. ... Ended up that they shaved off their labor and shaved off some part costs and I had enough. While I trust this place, I wanted to be clear that it didn't seem right.

With DH working nights, he typically has one very small meal on his way to work, and then a larger "dinner' at midnight. So I said I'd pick him up a treat meal to take in, and selected Boston Market ... got him meatloaf since I only make turkey meatloaf. Added up the whole freaking meal's calories (1,500) AFTER I found out that my side of sweet potatoes alone was 450 calories. I got ALL bent out of shape and he did as well... and split his dinner into two meals and adding veggies. I hadn't had that in a year or two ... and had forgotten how sweet it was. And here's the kicker - I would have preferred the cheesy macaroni and cheese, but thought this was a better choice. not hardly - the mac and cheese would have been about 200 calories less. Lunch was skipped (well, apparently that became a late lunch) and dinner was light. Not enough water today, though. Will focus on that tomorrow.

Trip to go home is coming up quickly. Both folks sounded good tonight. Sister wrote me that she now has them on a pain med schedule. The irony is that it's the SAME SCHEDULE I SET UP when there because it was all cattywampus before - and it created much turmoil. So set it down in writing and no missing anything by anyone. Clearly I'm just too sensitive to her games that I must vent here and not just smile and shake my head.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:13 AM   #125

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Lightbulb Sorry - LONG

Hi Coaches

Tried to log on a number of times last evening before I gave up at about 6.30pm - strange error message so probably down over (your) night for some maintenance

Can't even remember yesterday so to today.

I have been 100% on plan today and this morning I sat down and structured my plan a bit more. I do a bit of intermittent fasting (16:8, eating 12 to 8pm so 8 hours eating and 16 hours fasting), and a bit of 5:2 (5 days eating normally [whatever that is] and 2 days limited to 500 cals) - which works quite well when I do it. Overall I think the whole literature on restricting eating to small windows for health is pretty compelling and I was doing it for quite a while so will go back to it and combine it with 5:2 - If weight doesn't come off I will re-evaluate

So the plan - everyday eat between 12 and 8pm - about 1500 +/- 200
2 days a week restrict calorie intake to 500 cals (protein [usually fish] plus low carb veggies)
Eat low carb and unprocessed and made from scratch nearly always
Two pieces of dark chocolate a day

That's it - pretty simple really and I manage with that - allows for lots of meaty stews and veggies in winter.

The other thing I am doing to tighten up the food logging is to enter everything for the day into MFP - now when I go off plan it is too hard to go into MFP and find something equivalent to put in and somewhere to put it, and somewhere to write why I did it, and to note what I was feeling etc. So NOW I enter everything into MFP hopefully the night before or in the morning and then I print it off (takes a bit of manipulation but I worked it out). Then I have a piece of paper on which to note all of the above and I can refer back at the end of each week.

BillBE - Glad you put up links to birds - I am always interested. On that site I went looking for my magpie and realised your magpies are crowlike and ours are called Australian Magpies and are very different. And apparently they have one of the most complex songs in birdland - made me happy I love them (even though in spring they are a risk to life and limb and scalp when they are breeding). I may still have it wrong and you can tell me a different story

Freely - I love reading your posts - it reminds me why we are all here (there is absolutely nothing intuitive about my eating if given free reign)

Millie56 - huge credit for not reaching for food after a mother's day disappointment. Love your enthusiastic posts too! I don't have a problem with slow so much as standing up - huge for me. Arrange the environment is also huge and I like your attitude to do it once and do it right. Your calculation for your calorie needs seems far more rational. The Diet Fix guy (?) says he has never known a woman who can survive on under 1400 calories - now if that wasn't the result of thousands of clinical cases it could well be a huge stereotype

Tricia - you seem to be improving thankfully. I am still a bit croaky and sneezy

Nationalparker - I have been in your position - hugely envious of other co-workers taking their LSL and pensions (much huger than mine unfortunately) and leaving. So I empathise and have no tendency to feel smug about it. Just holding my breath in case this nutter government comes along and screws it up

Debbie (Lexxiss) - can't say I understand all of what was happening for you in your post but it seems you have a lot of competing demands to juggle for some reason and do very well not to (over)eat because of it. You are very organised indeed

6crowsgold - ouch for asthma and exercise - that is why I am not exercising because I have asthma from my cold. A bore until it goes away so stay well

Short Term Goal

Old 05-15-2014, 06:22 AM   #126

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - Police Officer's Memorial Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The doctor asked, "If you've been coughing for three weeks, why did you come in now?" I told her that my wife made me. She didn't smile - presumably she hears that often. With her stethoscope she didn't hear pneumonia, but I was given a chest X-ray to be sure. She offered cough medicine with codeine. It wouldn't make the cough go away faster than Robitussin, but I'd sleep like a baby. I turned it down. I'll stick with CVS Pharmacy pseudo-Robitussin. CREDIT moi for going to the doctor even if under protest.

I drugged myself sufficiently to go to my evening group thing. I did drive instead of my cherished evening walk because exercise exacerbates the coughing. I managed to stay quiet for the two hours. Eating was on plan for the day, CREDIT moi, including no snacks during the evening when the bowl of nuts was passed around. My new goal in life is to talk about something other than my own coughing.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Whole Foods at 9075 ft makes me think Tibet, LOL. Kudos for staying your path while "stress abounds."

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Yep, 3FC was down for a spell yesterday morning when I wanted to post - I thought about you then. Kudos for continuing to tweak your eating plan. Friends who've visited down under return with Australian Magpie stories that sound like near-death experiences. I can't wait until I get there.

maryann - Kudos for "no packaged candy at work" - particularly for a location that has See's Candy.

nationalparker – Boston Market started around here as Boston Chicken; my kids were routinely fed from the family special including the biscuits. Since then I've learned the calories in their food and cringe when our New Jersey relatives buy it for takeout. Continued Kudos for dumping sister-frustrations here and keeping your cool in real-life.

6crowsgold - Ouch for the hit of asthma. Welcome back on board to get away from comfort eating.

millie56 - Kudos for avoiding a caloric plan so low that you won't stay on it. A 1000 calorie deficit is a great starting level. If you keep the same calorie level as you lose, the deficit will be shrinking and the weight loss rate will taper down - my take is that that's just right.

Readers -
Quote:
day 16 Prevent Unplanned Eating

Some people don't struggle much when they're deciding when and what to eat. They just open the cabinet or refrigerator and select what they want. If you're like most dieters, thought, you've struggled or had a dialogue in your mind that went something like this: I really want to eat this. But I know I shouldn't. But I really want it. I'm not supposed to have it. But I feel like having it! I know it's not on my food plan, but I don't care. I'm going to have it anyway.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 149.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years
Old 05-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #127

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

OP so far today....still in the Asthma Bubble.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #128

Very upset with my weigh in this morning I GAINED .2 of a pound now at 205.0 I know I haven't been on a food plan yet but I have been trying to eat healthier guess my idea of what I have been eating and reality are different. Starting today I am writing down my food and counting calories (still not sure how to do that with casseroles I make) but at least it is a start. I know that I can't let this get me down and instead let it motivate me to continue on the journey. Today's reading was create time and energy - I have a couple of challenges with my schedule so will try to figure ways to eat OP on those days. For today breakfast 1/2 cup cottage cheese 90 cal 1/2 cup pineapple 80 cal AM Snack banana Lunch Goulash ?? and 1/2 cup cauliflower PM snack 6 oz watermelon dinner Cantonese casserole ??? No eating after dinner. Replace snacking with crocheting.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #129
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Got distracted reading and didn't check in. Even with one slice of pizza, I'm down 1 lb today. It is going SO slowly, but in the right direction, so that is good. I do need to get back to my DVD, which I have not done all week...still walking pup though.

millie56 Casseroles are tough for calorie counting. Up that small amount isn't as bad as you'd think as the daily variations from salt can be easily over 2 lbs. Good job getting going on your tracking.

6crowsgold Allergies/Asthma is awful here now too w/ air quality warning days! Hope you feel better soon.

BillBlueEyes When we had that nasty lingering cough what worked MUCH better than Robitussin was Nyquil Cough with Doxylamine Succinate (we buy the Kroger version) it is the only thing I'll buy now. Don't know why that antihistamine works when other meds don't but even half a dose let me sleep all night.

Cheryl/GosfordGirl
Glad you found a way to make MFP work for you. Sounds like you have a great plan. Kudos for OP! So sorry your cold is still hanging on.

nationalparker Yikes for the calories in potato! How disappointing. Wishing you safe travel this weekend.

maryann
Hurray for fig cookies and a long break. Wishing you the best in wrapping your mind around and accepting your emotions.

Lexxiss
So glad you caught the pipes before damage occurred. Wishing you a relaxing and OP day.

Beck FB Think Thin Thursday Tip: If you’re tempted to give in and have something unplanned, remind yourself that eating it will taste good for a few moments, and then it will be over. But resisting, and giving yourself a whole lot of credit for doing so, can feel good for SO MUCH LONGER because you get to feel in control and proud of yourself.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #130

Need some suggestions Wednesday night when we square dance my husband cooks meat and preps veggies so no problem but Monday night he has a Bible study pot luck and I have a women's study group which I have a year commitment to. So Monday's right now I drop him off at the pot luck and then go to my study I don't get back to the pot luck until like 8:45 and most of the food is gone so I get whatever unhealthy leftover there are or if I am really hungry I stop on the way and grab a quick burger at McDonald's which I know is terrible. Any suggestions on how to do my dinners for Monday nights? That is the only night I am really stumped on what to do.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #131
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie56 View Post
Need some suggestions Wednesday night when we square dance my husband cooks meat and preps veggies so no problem but Monday night he has a Bible study pot luck and I have a women's study group which I have a year commitment to. So Monday's right now I drop him off at the pot luck and then go to my study I don't get back to the pot luck until like 8:45 and most of the food is gone so I get whatever unhealthy leftover there are or if I am really hungry I stop on the way and grab a quick burger at McDonald's which I know is terrible. Any suggestions on how to do my dinners for Monday nights? That is the only night I am really stumped on what to do.
When I don't want to share pizza with the kiddos Wednesday nights I pack a dinner. Often grilled chicken breast, cold chopped veggies, & a piece of fruit or a whole grain tortilla. With a lunch sized cooler with an ice pack I am prepared. You just have to think ahead on the weekend and make some leftovers that would be OK cold for you to take along Wednesday. Other times I've packed boiled eggs, plain Greek yogurt w/ healthy toppings, even a sandwich.

If you are looking for fast food just scan on-line menus till you see something you like that fits on your plan. Subway has some good choices that if you load up on veggies and leave off dressings are not too high in calories.

Last edited by AZtricia : 05-15-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #132
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/175/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!
Today was my only "me" day and so I worked in the yard from 7am-2:30pm. I got lots done and had lots of time to think about my food plan/planning in general. I guess it's my way of journaling….Food has been OP, however, I broke my own rule and did not make my smoothie before leaving the house. I kept thinking I'd go back in and I never did. I made a healthy meal when it was finally time to sit down. It was what I had planned and it was yummy and satisfying.
Yesterday I got to thinking maybe I shouldn't be posting here. My life seems to be dictated by the events of others and I have to keep responding. I feel I can't be consistent here. I feel like I'm not "really" working the Beck program. I thought it through and decided it's a sabotaging thought and I squashed it. I will continue to post here when I'm able. Credit. I guess one thing I can share with others is that I am not throwing in the towel on dieting despite it being several years now since I've felt much of anything in my life was "normal" AND I really feel the continual practice of Beck skills really helps me maintain and lose although very slowly.

millie56, I will often eat before I head to an event. I'd either eat at home or pack something with me. After you dropped off your hubby you could pull over somewhere and eat in peace. I do have a "fast food" option but even now wouldn't personally want to do that weekly. PS I doubt you have "gained". It's just a fluxuating number and .2 is a very small number….

AZtricia, congrats on another 1# down. Slow and steady wins the race. Thx for the TTTT from Dr. Beck. I so relate...whether I make a legitimate change in my plan or just eat unplanned food I am so much happier these days eating what I planned.

6crowsgold, sending you healing vibes!

BBE, love your Dr. story. Guys vs Gals. lol Credit once again for passing on the bowl of tree nuts.

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), I am very impressed by the new detail of your plan and learned lots from it. Kudos.

MaryAnn, good for you continuing your self care...not eating the sweets at work, finding a substitue and heading back to the Dr. as you continue to search for answers.

nationalparker, the calories of commercial establishments is certainly crazy! Vent away here….it seems you are going to be jumping back in very soon. I do believe that smiling and shaking your head is so much better for you than getting all worked up.

Take care everyone! I spend the next two days working on the rental during the day, negotiating with the pot growing tenants tomorrow evening then head back to real work Sun/Mon/Tues.

My last 58 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!
Old 05-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #133
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 179/160/150

Height: 5-4

Hello, coaches! It's been a good day here, OP for the most part. Heading to bed in a few minutes. Have been trying to talk to DH while he's at work to semi-plan a mini vacation that involves nothing but sitting by a pool or a beach. Typically ours are more active but mentally, I think this would be a good use of vacation/time to relax. We'll see what gets worked out. Early on when we were together, DH worried so much when making plans that we wouldn't like it. I said, we'll be staying on the beach, or hiking in a national park, or camping in the woods - what's not to enjoy? We have to be pretty miserable people to not have a good vacation there! We'll see what fits into the budget and calendar. Bonus is if something happens at with the folks, I'm just a few hours away.

Millie - Don't get stressed with 0.2 pounds or 2.0 pounds. There are 20 reasons why our bodies retain or drop weight and try to not get sucked into that mental scale game. I am using it for info, but now working to use my clothes as a gauge. Bring a good dinner that you like - a wrap or sandwich, fruit, almonds - whatever fits into your plan - hummus/veggies - just pop it in the small cooler and eat on your way there, then brush your teeth when you get there, so no potluck desserts take you off track. ... Oh, just read AZTricia's suggestions - Yes! Good ones!

Bill - Thank you for the nuts suggestion for my mom ... I'm going to pick up cashews tomorrow for her- she loves those and rarely gets them. Along with something coconut, that'll be a nice addition to her gift basket and not something too big that turns her stomach. Sometimes just seeing a lot of food gets her feeling sick. Good of you to get to the dr. Are your ribs super sore from the coughing? One year I swore I broke a rib from hacking so much, but am sure I didn't

Lexxiss - Hearing you say that you felt you weren't following Beck made me feel good because I liked your sabotaging thought smackdown. I feel that often and feel like a Beck imposter on this thread. I feel I should be where I wanted to be by now and had I been following the CBT closer, I would be, so why the heck am I not more successful? But your words gave me a sense of "you'll get there" ... thank you. I look forward to your posts, so thank you for continuing to post when you can, despite your crazy busy life!

Feel a sense of excitement for a possible vacay with DH and then feel a bit guilty, because my brother who lives near my folks, will not be able to get away this summer ... I thought I should offer to house and dog sit for HIM and let him and his wife get away for a long weekend, but that would mean overlapping with my sister with our parents' care (often two appointments at the same time) and right now I just think we'd work against each other instead of with each other. I'm selfish to the point of not wanting to face that situation at this point. Maybe I can work through this mentally and get to a more generous state of mind. He's been "on call" with them for months now. Hm... food for thought.

Goal for tomorrow is to stay on track and with the two remaining days here, to not feel like I have to eat more since I'll be gone. I often overeat BEFORE a trip, which is just nutso.

Last edited by nationalparker : 05-15-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:52 AM   #134

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Went out birding at 7am at Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, MA, to see the migrating warblers, CREDIT moi. Since we weren't in a group, my occasional coughing didn't bother anyone. While listening intently for calls, we'd frequently hear "Gobble, gobble, gobble" from the HUGE Tom Wild Turkey strutting nearby. Just cracks me up to hear a turkey in the wild. We saw a Cape May Warbler, a Chestnut-sided Warbler, and a Wilson's Warbler - three that we only see during migration. It was a good morning.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. I continue to have blueberries in the morning - Florida is shipping them up here now. It feels so good when the blueberries start flowing regularly - perhaps peaches aren't far behind. When fresh fruit isn't available, I have dried fruit with my morning cereal. Restricting myself to rational portion size is harder for me with dried fruit since the volume clues suggest more than I'd choose with fresh.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – 7.5 hours is a lot of yard work - Kudos for the exercise. Perhaps you could grant yourself a month of posting your status without posting personals so that you can stay connected while still honoring your squeezed time. Good luck negotiating with pot growing tenants.

nationalparker – One of my favorite places on planet earth is the "Ding" Darling NWR on Sanibel Island, Florida. That place relaxes me instantly. Continuing Supportive Thoughts for working out support for your folks. [Nope, the coughing isn't doing that rib pain thing - I've had that.]

Tricia (AZtricia) - Congrats on yet another pound gone forever. Does your 'pup' still look like your avatar? [Thanks for the Nyquil tip.]

6crowsgold - Sending virtual chicken soup to fight that asthma. Kudos for on-plan despite it.

millie56 - This is so Cognitive Therapy, "Replace snacking with crocheting" - Kudos for using CT thinking. Accepting scale wiggle is one of the challenges to master. I do know the up-ticks can feel so disappointing when we're on plan. Your Monday night challenge seems to be to avoid trying to forge for a meal out of the cold dregs of a pot luck dinner. Perhaps you could arrive with your own plastic container of salad and cold grilled chicken that fit your plan and was appealing.

Readers -
Quote:
day 16 Prevent Unplanned Eating

This internal argument can create tension, which is emotionally and physically uncomfortable. You'll be tempted to relive this tension by eating. Once you make the decision to eat, you may find that your discomfort immediately subsides - even before you reach for the food. You can do other things, though, to reduce your discomfort. Just as deciding to eat can reduce tension, so can deciding not to eat.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 149.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years
Old 05-16-2014, 05:53 AM   #135

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Friday night

Hi coaches

I have been 100% on plan again - made a food plan this morning and followed it, started eating at midday and am about to have fish for dinner as planned

Life is simplified with this plan - no needing to decide what to eat for breakfast which suits me. No snacks as such and straightforward guidelines - good so far.

I weighed, I counted calories, I logged, and I checked in with my coaches while having a horrible day working to be followed by a horrible weekend. At least an end is in sight.

I am a bit over my cold and the viral induced asthma (requires broncho-dilators so I can cough and breath). I too am looking forward to not talking about my cough/cold.

I have missed Friday morning posting because BillBE has posted so have gone to make dinner!

BillBE - I really didn't realise how loved magpies were - LOL at a near-death experience for seeing Australian magpies. Oops - you have just posted for Friday so I am behind - credit for on-plan eating

6crowsgold - stay healthy in that asthma bubble - you can beat it

Millie - .2 pounds is just a fluctuation so stay calm. Tricia's recommendations for Monday night are the same as I would suggest - just pack what you are prepared to eat and what fits you plan. You seem motivated and organised so it will be OK

Tricia - YAY for 1 pound down - you are consistently doing well so credit. I support your recommendation to Millie56 for Monday dinner

Debbie (Lexxiss) - you sure did a lot of yardwork - I like Bill's idea that for a month you just post your progress and see how that goes. It is bst if you don't just fade away and infact post to satisfy your requirements. It will be useful to see how you apply Beck skills for all of us. I am sure you can work out what is most useful for you

Take care Becksters - I need to rest now and get away from the computer

Short Term Goal

Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.