3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Beck Diet Solution

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Beck Diet For Life/Solution May 2014 Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #91

S/C/G: 173/ 158/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Three weeks of logging food into Weight Watchers. Weight 1 pound below ticker. I am making significant progress with sitting while I am eating. I keep thinking of AZTricia's posted quote "hard is not impossible." That really helps.

Going camping at the ranch (see avatar) for mother's day. I have packed 1 point hot dogs and 2 point tortillas. Dessert will be chopped apricots (Yeah, they are here! finally. They are my favorite season except for cherries.)

Lexxiss: a written plan is the cornerstone of eating correctly. I agree. It is impressive that you continue to do so. Hey, this is your anniversary month!

Ceejay: So great to have 7 days under your belt. It is so much easier to stay OP than to GET OP.

BBE: Don't know Bellini. I have seen Aida live and I think that is it. I once had a course on Carmen and had to study the whole score. Yikes!

GosfordGirl: I love looking at real estate listings. I picture where I could retire and what flat I could buy. Even though I know I am never leaving the ranch.

Wave to the rest of us fighting the good fight.

Last edited by maryann : 05-10-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #92
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 179/160/150

Height: 5-4

Hello, all! A stunningly gorgeous sunny spring day here. All I want is to sit out and putter in the garden and enjoy it. Work calls, however, and have been on the computer much of the day. Decided to give myself permission to eat whatever I wanted for today - how much and whatever. Felt freeing in a way. Skipped breakfast as I was busy (rarely ever skip it, because I love breakfast) ... lunch out with DH for mexican and ate half my lunch entree that was a good choice. Dinner was a large salad and two slices of thin crust, non-greasy cheese pizza. What a treat. Was up until 2 a.m. working last night and tonight will be about the same.

Did pick up more birdseed and DH is out there to load up the ground feeder - the female mallard is apparently looking for an easy meal. Between me, the dog and the cats, those ducks are an entertainment. I just don't want to hit a nest with the mower if she's got one in our yard.

Now the challenge will be to get through the evening without a lot of snacking while I'm working. I am looking forward to a slice of pizza around 10 p.m.

Tomorrow is the last day of this project - DH is going to visit his mom in the afternoon.

Heading back home to help out with folks in a week. Major communication breakdown and issues continue with sister, luckily my brother is there and able to prioritize and keeps me in the loop. He's a gem.

Wearing a pair of shorts that didn't fit last year. DH left my jeans in the dryer and they still fit despite being a size smaller than most other pants. That's on my ARCs - to be able to dry everything that should be dried and not have to have pants hanging all over to dry in the winter.

Bill - Hang in there - sounds like it's been a rough week for you. I hope our wonderful weather wings its way to you tomorrow/Monday.

Aiming for personals later when I'm waiting for more data.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #93
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello Coaches, Happy Saturday and an early Happy Mother's Day to the mom's

Today was OP. I am still not 100% after the food poisoning/stomach virus which is disappointing. Gurgle-y tummy and high fiber (like oatmeal) just does NOT agree with me...hoping to heal completely soon.

nationalparker - Sound's like you've had a great day. Awesome that you are fitting in a smaller size even when it shrinks.

maryann Kudos for logging even though it is difficult. Yum for apricots - love them, and cherries too.

Lexxiss Best of luck with you new project and with OP choices during the stress.

BillBlueEyes Picturing you all zinc-ed and shiny, LOL! Do you look like the tin man? Glad you were able to hear the opera.

Cheryl/GosfordGirl Kudos for logging all your food, walking, and 6K steps. Awesome that you are down again in weight. So sorry you are not feeling well.

CeeJay
Hurray for seven great days and even more for realizing that you feel better with healthy eating.

onebyone
Hurray for OP and willingness to look at new ways to be healthier. Diet Fix is big on writing everything you eat, then enter it in a program at the end of the day (for calories) and use the knowledge and difficulty level of each day to make wiser planning decisions in the future. If you keep data, you may see where you are using calories that are not worth it and be able to cut back without a stricter plan. One of my cut backs, for example was to replace 1 egg with egg white for higher protein lower calorie, also going to fat free yogurt (plain) helped. I've also raised the amount of protien I was consuming to regulate/reduce hunger (also from diet fix).

FB Beck for Saturday: When you make a dieting mistake, what do you usually say to yourself? How does that compare to what you would say to your best friend if she told you she made a mistake? Very likely you’d be a lot nicer (and more constructive) to your friend than you are to yourself, which isn’t fair! When you make a mistake, be kind to yourself. It will help you recover more quickly and feel better in general.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:01 AM   #94

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Sunday night

Hi Coaches

A really quick fly by check in. I am still sneezing, snuffling and croaking and now a cough is happening. I think this is here for a bit. I don't usually get colds - oh well. I need to find a magic elixir for head colds. My front teeth are hurting which is a sure sign that I am getting worse sinusitis than usual

I had a minimal plan and have cooked my Chilli Chicken and Lime soup again for the next few days. It is easy and tasty and the heat is good for this cold. I am also sorting out dinner

I managed to make 8500 steps - not sure how. Didn't get to gym - hopefully tomorrow but I have an ophthalmologist appointment and need to get this marking done. Will see how I feel. After this week if I finish marking I have a week to get on top of the next lot of teaching but the marking is a bit of a commitment for the next week.

Credit for all the great outcomes I see. Have a good Sunday coaches

Short Term Goal

Old 05-11-2014, 06:01 AM   #95

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Mother's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies Happy Mother's Day to those who've borne kids or raised them, as well as to those of women born. It's a day to celebrate the mutual survival, LOL. We'll celebrate with one of our kids at some local gardens opened for Mother's Day. My goal is to keep my coughing discreet. Some walking yesterday on a morning bird walk to see a few of the arriving warblers - Black-throated Green Warbler was the prize of the day. We pressed on despite the light rain at times; ended with clear skies.

Today's the day to increment the duration counters in my signature, CREDIT moi. I give myself credit for the forward movement of time with me on-board since that's my definition of maintenance. I also got to down-tick my current weight by a couple; it may still be dehydration, but it's settled in.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Such a good reminder that one doesn't have to be a beginner to create a written food plan for the day.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) Kudos for 8500 steps despite your head cold - that's notable.

maryann - Waving toward your ranch. Can't wait for your California Apricots to reach the East Coast - they're soooo yummy. [I love the pomp of Aida; Carmen was my first opera back when I was sure that I hated opera - it opened my eyes. DW insists that I had a deprived childhood because I wasn't taught to sing, "Toreador, don't spit on the floor ... Use the cuspidor."]

nationalparker Major Kudos to you for choosing a DH who can run a clothes dryer - few men have that skill. And Kudos to your brother for keeping his sanity to help your whole family during this crisis. You make good choices in men.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Ouch for the stomach thing - hope it doesn't interfere with your Mother's Day plans.

Readers -
Quote:
day 15 Monitor Your Eating

what are you thinking?

While research has consistently shown the importance of keeping written food records, many studies also show that few dieters keep them. One study even found that fewer than a third of dieters wrote down all of the foods they ate on just half of the days they were supposed to keep records! I'll bet those participants had lots of sabotaging thoughts that got in the way.

Use the following examples to create Response Cards that will increase the likelihood that you'll consistently keep your written food record every day.

Sabotaging Thought: This is too much work.
Helpful Response: I won't have to write things down for the rest of my life. Besides, it'll probably be less burdensome than I'm predicting. Why not give the "best" option a try for a week and see how it goes?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 147.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years and 1 month
Old 05-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #96
Green Tomatoes

S/C/G: 241/188/183

Happy Mother's Day to the moms! I've had a strange couple of days with last-minute plan changes and lots of food outside of my kitchen. Aiming for a full day of home-prepared foods today. I have logged, with lots of guesses on nutritional information. Following the Beck advice that AZTricia posted last night, I'm being kind and saying "well, that was an interesting couple of days, but it's sure going to feel good to be back to normal today!"

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +65 480/1500 minutes for May, Food: *weird* op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Project: back to goal, 5 pounds at a time
My goal story: Fifty and feeling fabulous!
Visit Joy's Book Blog -- I review cookbooks and diet books most Saturdays!

Last edited by gardenerjoy : 05-11-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #97
Rosebud170

S/C/G: 311/208/176

Hello Coaches....I have been intermittently lurking lately....I am always inspired and encouraged by your words. I also began reading the Diet Fix after reading about it on here. He is Brilliant!! I love text like tdf and Beck that MAKE sense for real life and in the name of sustaining weight loss.

I have hit a huge milestone. I have officially lost 100 lbs. I am not telling my real life people since, while I am enjoying every single benefit of a healthier body, the number is not a huge deal for me when it comes down to it. I also have gone way up and down in the past so am being careful to just enjoy my life and not be number focused. The weight is coming off more slowly right now but I am handling that just fine.

Someone here said that they just got a fitbit. I LOVE mine. 4 family members and one close friend have them too and it really is motivating when you are neck and neck with the steps. The trash talking is fun too!!! My family is all over the country so it is fun to interact through the Fitbit site and our steps.

Happy Mothers Day to all the Moms out there. My dad is making a Moms Day dinner tonight so we will go over there. He is a great cook, making healthy and delicious food!

Goal: lurk less and participate more! I really do appreciate this list and feel guilty when I retreat and then return....
Old 05-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #98
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 179/160/150

Height: 5-4

This has been a beautiful weekend - like Camelot, the rain came in the middle of the night, softening my rock-hard garden bed out front, and allowing me to get a bit of a start on the weeding. That used to be the gorgeous garden on the street - now it's a mess. Will look okay when the daisy bushes and daylilies get taller, and I get my dark mulch in there around some bedding plants and all the daffodil foliage is removed. I always have the Martha Stewart image in my mind, but ... lack of time, design skill and funds create a different look.

Finished my big stressful project at work tonight ... a sense of relief but still wait for fallout - did any data not get submitted that we weren't aware of, etc. At some point, those involved need to take responsibility for their data, but I'm the type to worry.

Surprised with a gift from my oldest step daughter today and a card that read thank you for being a good stepmom and loving and taking care of her father ... and could we spend more time together. That came from left field. Our relationship started out rocky because I set boundaries for how she treated us, her behavior in our home, etc. She's turned around a great deal, and spending an evening with her a few weeks ago was enjoyable. DH said he's keeping his fingers crossed she's maturing.

What is striking me so much is the difficulty I'm having losing weight or focusing on weight loss ... while when I lost weight years ago, I just set my mind and DID it ... activity was a larger part, though, of my everyday life for health reasons rather than solely weight loss. Maintenance wasn't difficult - I staying in the same range of 4-5 pounds for 10 years. Now it seems like I'll never get there and while i'm not pre-worrying about maintenance, I wonder what the difference is - must be more than just age. I feel I'm eating healthier now than before. Rambling thoughts. Food has been okay this weekend, but not exactly nutritional.

I was able to get about 1/2 of the yard mowed - DH did 1/4 and we were stopped this evening with a thunderstorm rolling in quickly.

Good luck, Bill, with that cough. DH's lasted for nearly three weeks this winter, and I was slipping him cough drops before and at intermissions of performances - it just never quit. Thanks for linking to the birds. I know the basic 10 that kids know, ha ha.

CeeJay - MAJOR credits for stringing the week together! Whoo hoo. What was the biggest key for you to be able to do so?

Rosebud - Good to see you back and WOWSA - Great job on the 100-pound down mark!!

GardenerJoy - Like your "weird OP" What a great way to approach it. What the past few days were, is not what every day will be. Good acceptance.

Maryann - Have a wonderful time at the ranch. I would love to say that I'm leaving town for my ranch.

Hang in there, GosfordGirl, with the cold. Your soup sounds good to a non-soup eater that I am. I just have a hard time wrapping my head around your temps cooling off while mine are warming. Sounds like you had such a hot summer, that the cooler temps are welcome.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:06 PM   #99

Congrats, Rosebud!
Old 05-12-2014, 12:01 AM   #100
move

S/C/G: 291/279.3 lastweek/274.3 now

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Doing the Green Beck Book

Coaches

Just read the first chapter of the Green Beck Book: Beck Diet for Life. I find myself *so impatient* to get to - let me check-pg 32 Chapter 3 Get Ready to Lose where in the following 16 pages she lists 10 tasks to do before you begin your diet. This is a different structure from the pink book which is the one I read and followed in the pink workbook. So. Since I have yet to master or have long term success at getting weight off, I'd better just approach this as if I am a newbie and just follow the book. I read chapter 1 tonight. Chapter 2 tomorrow. It'll take as long as it takes.

Food today was planned and caloric. I successfully saw both moms in my life and was rescued by DH in the nick of time at MIL's house as we sat in the backyard while he fixed her computer in the house. I get so very enthusiastic about my life and all the things I do and I was openly sharing this with MIL and she doesn't understand people like me and said "You know, I think you have to focus. You're painting and making prints and now you're doing pottery and you're not doing the market and you're working at the guild and I think you need to focus on..." and then DH came out and then we never got back to her advice to me. I am so overly sensitive and my feelings are easily hurt and I misread stuff all the time. But I felt like, gee, I just told you with great enthusiasm all the stuff I am doing and you're telling me it's too many things and I have no direction and I think maybe I'm doing this all wrong.... I am easily swayed but I never stop because of what someone says, but I do give it weight in my heart. Anyway, what can I say? I feel focused and I feel direction that is very clear and maybe it looks chaotic to the viewer but I know I am following a plan for me. I'll keep on keepin' on with that.

Must get to sleep. My cat Caesar has already claimed my pillow. ugh. Talk to you guys tomorrow.

*credit* for making the effort with both moms today.

Last edited by onebyone : 05-12-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:45 AM   #101
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Today was good times with the boys and OP even with carrot cake for breakfast We saw the Lego movie and took pup to the park where he was happy to be chased by squealing kiddos and is now worn out even after being crated much of the day.

Took forever tonight trying to post biographies and photos for upcoming voting on the web for next year's board candidates and I can't figure it out. That is what I get for agreeing to a position where I know nothing about html or websites other than how to use a basic text editor. Put a "call" in for help to a web designer, the husband of another board member, and hope that works.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:53 AM   #102

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Unhappy Miserable Monday

Hi Coaches

Still feeling miserable and had a totally non-productive day. I went to opthalmologist at 10am and didn't get home until 3pm! I hadn't realised that they would dilate my pupils (should have) and that after 2 hours of tests I would be so light sensitive that I wouldn't be able to drive and in fact barely able to walk to the mall to keep myself occupied while waiting for the effects to wear off. It also contributed to a miserable sinus headache and photosensitivity - moan, moan. Anyway I eventually got home, marked a few papers and I am going to eat and go to bed and get up early. Food at the mall for lunch was not stellar - ate the bread basket and the chips with the lunch I could barely see. On the good side I made 10000 steps in my aimless rambling through the shops. No gym by the way. Think I will give up the thought of that till I recover a bit

Have read all your posts and credit for all your achievements - Congrats on 100 pounds down Rosebud! Major achievement

See you tomorrow coaches

PS - the results of tests were stellar and I have no problems so worth the tests I guess. At least when I go back next year I will be prepared for the impact

Short Term Goal

Last edited by GosfordGirl : 05-12-2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:23 AM   #103

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - International Nurse's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies Had a delightful Mother's Day (despite my continued coughing). Toured some local gardens, meeting the gardeners who were so enthusiastic that I was mesmerized. Saw chickens, lambs, bees, and one llama. Ended with dinner on the lawn at DS's house as darkness fell - couldn't be better.

I didn't overeat, CREDIT moi, despite a full table of family talking non-stop - the kind of situation that suggests that one eat non-stop also. It was a little bit of exercise but mostly just fun.

onebyone Kudos for conjuring the patience to take the Green Book in order. Yep, Pablo Picasso also had a problem with focusing - he kept putting the body parts in the wrong places. Perhaps your MIL can take on his case and leave you to wander through your own journey, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) LOL with joy at "Food: *weird* op" - love that Beck allows room for reality in life. Consensus is that succulents are "in" in the gardens we saw - usually in a rock garden of some sort.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) Yay for stellar eyes even when the head is still stuffy. It does seem like a challenge to make wise food choices when you can't see.

nationalparker Such a touching act by your oldest step daughter - Kudos to your and her father for giving her the support to grow into that kind of a young woman. Some days it's worth celebrating that "Food has been okay this weekend, but not exactly nutritional."

Rosebud170 Monster Congrats on your 100 pound milestone - a big deal indeed. We run a non-guilt thread around here so feel free to come and go as fits your needs. Thanks for plugging texts that "that MAKE sense for real life," It feels so good to know that we're on plan in our real lives not despite our real lives.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Yay for carrot cake for breakfast - a little anarchy feels good. Good luck with your techie job. Is that something that your smart boys know how to do?

freely - Waving back - hope all goes well with you.

Readers -
Quote:
day 15 Monitor Your Eating

what are you thinking?

Use the following examples to create Response Cards that will increase the likelihood that you'll consistently keep your written food record every day.

Sabotaging Thought: I don't need to write this down. I can remember what I ate.
Helpful Response: Not writing things down hasn't helped me in the past. I undoubtedly forget about some of the food that I eat. I have to make myself conscious of what I'm eating.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 147.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years and 1 month
Old 05-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #104
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/175/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I knew this was going to happen at some point, but we were totally unprepared. Ouch. We have 14 inches of snow and it's still coming down. We were totally in Spring mode when we left our poolside spot last Friday and now there is danger of a hard freeze tonight. I have to work today and then we are driving over the passes to shut our water off. Double ouch. Oh, well. I don't believe we've had this drastic weather so late in May. We will just deal with it. Credit that I know food won't fix it. My past two days I've followed my written plan and what I know I need to do today is take a sandwich from work for my drive over then reevaluate, in my sane Beck fashion, what I will need for the drive back home.

I've read everyone's posts yet am having much difficulty with my internet this morning, I suppose due to crappy weather. Checking in is important, so credit for that and I hope for another hello in the near future.

My last 58 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!
Old 05-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #105
Green Tomatoes

S/C/G: 241/188/183

Today's my birthday! My brother is taking us out tonight. I think I'll talk DH into splitting a tasting platter of seafood and have a salad along side.

Rosebud170: congrats on reaching the 100 pound mark! Woohoo!

Project: back to goal, 5 pounds at a time
My goal story: Fifty and feeling fabulous!
Visit Joy's Book Blog -- I review cookbooks and diet books most Saturdays!
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.