3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Beck Diet Solution

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Beck Diet For Life/Solution May 2014 Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 01:19 AM   #226
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello coaches. I've been distracted reading a new novel. Youngest ds had his first dyslexia therapy and oldest his first day of music "camp". OP for today.

Lexxiss Kudos for resistance.

BillBlueEyes Fiddle heads sound interesting, they were at our Whole Foods, but no samples.

GosfordGirl/Cheryl No domestic goddess lives here! Just a mom struggling to be healthier and feed her family. I make my kiddos help make bread, so it goes much faster. Kudos for gym time and 9K steps!

flnu Glad to hear your traveling is going well.

nationalparker Hurray for a great SIL. Wishing you a peaceful nights rest.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:47 AM   #227

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Wednesday

Hi Coaches

A busy day and late finish so just thinking about a relatively unplanned dinner so need to be cautious. Lunch was on plan but probably over generous. Made 8.5 K so far with a lot of desk work so that is acceptable. Another PT session tomorrow morning because he is going on his honeymoon next week and our fortnightly session is then. So that will force me to go to the gym and work hard before I come home and work

BillBE - you just gave me a corn on the cob idea. I don't eat it and it is sort of on the list of banned substances, yet I have 2 cobs in the fridge. So I think I will eat one tonight. I have always wanted to try fiddle-head ferns since I read about them in a Japanese Temple Cooking book - but have not come across them fresh. Your Memorial Day sounds as important as our ANZAC day which has morphed to honour all service people

Nationalparker - hope the oncologist's visit was managed today, and that your mum's health is improving. I hope you are going OK in the middle of all that

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Thanks for clarifying why it is not wise to buy hash browns from a cafe. No wonder they can be delicious. Credit for surviving and being philosophical about a less than perfect day

Tricia - I am going to read a novel on my week off - just decided. I haven't read a novel in ages. I think involving the kiddos in food preparation AND home-schooling is being a domestic goddess and that is a good thing

Short Term Goal

Last edited by GosfordGirl : 05-28-2014 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #228

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - Amnesty International Day - New Moon

Diet Coaches/Buddies Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including lunch of a chicken sausage sent home with me since I didn't have one at the Memorial Day BBQ. Whole Foods 'green label' (meaning 'sustainable') salmon again for dinner - but not on the patio since temperature dropped into the 50's.

Exercise was nil, Ouch. About once a year, a high school football (American) injury makes my lower back wince. It goes away on its own in a few days, but doesn't want me moving while it visits.

Debbie (Lexxiss) I so identify with, "although I wanted it all." Yay for bison burgers; don't know why DW doesn't buy bison the few times she buys hamburger. [Thanks for the warning about the volume of oil in hash browns - no wonder they're so good.]

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) I can't stand it. Of all the news of import in the world, the top story on my news feed here is that a Murdoch Aussie newspaper printed a picture of Princess Kate's bottom. Kudos for keeping your physical therapy going despite a therapist deserting you for his honeymoon.

nationalparker Waving to keep the supportive thoughts flowing toward Florida. Thought of your dad on Memorial Day when I reviewed in my mind all the folks I know who've served.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Always Kudos for OP. What's your new novel?

Readers -
Quote:
day 16 Prevent Unplanned Eating
. . Once I accept the fact that I
have to give up spontaneous eating,
. . . . .dieting will be easier.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 152.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years and 1 month

Last edited by BillBlueEyes : 05-28-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #229
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 179/160/150

Height: 5-4

Good day, all. It's been a doozy. I think I'm stronger than I thought. Dad decided after the oncologist visit that he was not going to pursue chemo any more ... lots of tears and reconciliation with the decision (that I think we all have supported since after the first dose ... mom said how did he even walk in there for the second round) ...Then later last night after hearing a bit about how the next steps would move (discontinuing chemo-related meds as hospice began the process of touching base, etc.) he thought he might have made a quick decision and wanted to think about it longer. At first he told me he was a quitter - giving up. I said, "Dad, if this was me, battling through these brutal side effects with no guarantees it'd have benefit, and I decided I no longer wanted to go that route, would you call me a quitter?" He quickly said, "No, NO!" I said then it's the same thing. Whatever you decide to do is the right decision.

We'll see what the next few days say, but I don't know that his body will be able to TAKE the chemo and maybe that becomes an easier decision. He feels if he stops it, then he's making a choice against his wife, his kids, etc.

SIL brought over information at his request regarding hospice and she has worked in elder care her entire career ... now mom is saying from the hospital that's not the only one, there's one closer, etc. I want to talk with her and have brother discuss that just because my sister is threatened by SIL (for what reason) is no reason to knock an excellent company from consideration/use for our father. We have a vested interest in his quality care. I am not SURE that's what happened but my mom doesn't come up with that on her own. At some point, some decisions have to be made with knowledge, not just it's the opposite of what SIL considers the best care for him. Weeks ago when I drove mom to church, I think I wrote about the high level of scrutiny of where I parked. I just don't GET IT. and grow increasingly aggravated, mad, frustrated, irritated and any other -ed that means the same thing!!

HOT day here - hot and muggy at 8 a.m. already.

Mom to be discharged from hospital and moved to rehab facility this afternoon.

Went with Thai again last night - brother asked him if he'd be up for some chicken fried rice and Dad was, and ate a good portion, so I was pleased. Need to get some meat on his bones. I took my serving and wanted to save it for two more ... and kept wanting more and more. I gave myself a pass and took a few more red peppers and onions from my dish and was okay with that. How do some people eat under stress and others unable to eat when stressed?

Thank you - as always - for letting me unload here. I feel better after getting some of my frustrations, concerns and worries out.

Last edited by nationalparker : 05-28-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #230
Green Tomatoes

S/C/G: 241/188/183

This week is busy but not quite overwhelming. That seems to be magic for me. I'm too busy to do anything but follow my plan (or what would normally be on the plan if I didn't write one) and, yet, not crossed over to the place where eating seems like a good break because I'm overwhelmed.

Unfortunately, one piece of reaching "busy but not overwhelmed" is doing only the sort of tasks that I feel competent doing. Next week, when I want to challenge myself to do some things out of my comfort zone, I'm going to have to find a different happy place that keeps my eating in balance.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +60 1270/1500 minutes for May, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

nationalparker: I feel honored that you're sharing your journey with us. Sending lots of hugs to you and your family.

Project: back to goal, 5 pounds at a time
My goal story: Fifty and feeling fabulous!
Visit Joy's Book Blog -- I review cookbooks and diet books most Saturdays!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #231

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

Still here, on the sidelines. I've been way sick with unexpectedly severe asthma, and have just been maintaining at my current weight of 124lb. Navigating life and diet on steroids; it seems to have made it temporarily impossible to do a strict fast, something about the effect on appetite.

Hanging in for now, seeing the Dr. again tomorrow.

Best to all!

Last edited by 6crowsgold : 05-28-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:41 PM   #232

Tired! Stayed up to an unmentionable hour to finish my book. Still stayed OP today, though the park is starting to have mosquitoes (which I despise!) and I may have to make a different walking route.

6crowsgold Hope you are able to get your asthma under control soon.

gardenerjoy Hurray for a just right week.

nationalparker Wishing you wisdom in choosing hospice and good care for your mom as she is transferred.

BillBlueEyes I was reading the final in the series by Elizabeth Moon, Legend of Paksenarrion, titled Crown of Renewal. We had salmon last night too, with raspberry chipotle sauce. Awesome for OP!

GosfordGirl/Cheryl Wishing you a great PT session. Hope you enjoy your week off and a good book.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:27 AM   #233

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Coaches

Not a lot to report. Well except for the unplanned snacking on (let me read the label) Chipman certified organic Potato Chips - Sweet Chilli Salsa. I went to a new healthfood store to buy "Bath Milk" - we can't buy unpasteurised milk here - only for bathing in like Cleopatra. But it is human grade and I wanted to try it for milk kefir (Their website has lots of pictures of very endearing and organically raised cows that they seem to be very fond of). When I get my hands on some I will let you know how the kefir turns out. Unfortunately they are waiting for a delivery so I had to browse the shelves - and found chips cooked in something other than toxic seed oils! And then unfortunately ate an unplanned bag full.

Went to PT and worked like a dog so tomorrow will be interesting - I think he still has the kid gloves on so hope I improve to get higher order exercises/ higher expectations

I really appreciate all of you who are posting - it is obviously a slow time and I need your guidance so thanks

BillBE - I am having organic chicken (and spinach) sausages for dinner tonight! One of my favourites. Sympathies for an intermittent bad back from an old sports injury - hope it resolves soon. Nice people don't read Murdoch! I wasn't even aware the Telegraph was up to its usual no good - 'nice people" read the Herald - glad you told me though so I could go and have a look. Totally over the top!

Nationalparker - Difficult decision time that you are all going through. My Auntie had the same issues - not to be seen to be giving up, but also not to be missing opportunities. She initially decided on no chemo or radio (brain tumor) but then decided to give it a go. The motivation to keep trying is very strong. Hope you all get to come to the best plan for longer term care - very difficult decisions. I am so pleased you are posting - thinking with the keyboard and testing solutions and ideas is totally necessary and appreciated. We honour your situation right now

Gardenerjoy - Ouch for overwhelmed - hope next week pans out well

6crowsgold - I am so sorry you have asthma and have to take steroids and that it is affecting your progress. Hope the Dr. tomorrow is helpful

Tricia - hope you are refreshed today. Mosquitoes are the pits indeed so hope you found an alternate route to walk. My week off is a week away so I am hanging out! You will know when I am on it

Short Term Goal

Old 05-29-2014, 06:03 AM   #234

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies Went to a concert last night and faced an unexpected dessert and coffee table afterward. Unexpected friends were also there and while chatting I had an evening cup of coffee and . . . some of the baked stuff. Ouch. I can tolerate coffee just before going to bed - not a problem. But the brownie was half chocolate and maybe a zillion calories. Double Ouch.

Not much exercise and I'll be a few days getting back in stride. My head is working so I nearly completed the book I'm reading.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Like the notion of a level of busy that's just-right - before the overwhelmed level.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) Laughing at Cleopatra's bath milk; Yay for human ingenuity for getting around restrictions. Kudos for strenuous physical therapy.

nationalparker Yay for Thai chicken fried rice if that's what appeals to your dad. Hope your mom made the journey to rehab which should be a more relaxing place to be if one can't be at home. Supportive thoughts as usual with a double set to help counter all the "-ed's" fueled by your sister.

Tricia (AZtricia) - I didn't know that Arizona had mosquitoes. May you find a walking pace that they can't track. ["Raspberry chipotle sauce" sounds yummy.]

6crowsgold - Hang in there, asthma does go away. Good luck at the doctor's today.

Readers -
Quote:
day 17 End Overeating

Even if you're not tempted to overeat today, you'll undoubtedly face trigger situations many times in the future. If you regularly eat family-style, for example, it might be difficult for you to avoid reaching for seconds. When you're in a restaurant, you're usually served a larger quantity of food than your diet plan allows and you might be tempted to clean your plate. Today, you'll practice not overeating.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 153.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years and 1 month
Old 05-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #235

S/C/G: 173/ 158/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Feeling harried after I finished a project at work. Proud that I stuck to Simple Start for three days. The plan is composed of healthy, whole foods which can be eaten until I am satisfied. There is a small allowance for "treats." I must really give myself credit for not chocolate foraging as has been the case in this last month. Plan is for four exercise sessions this week and I have finished 2 already. I will walk today. Weight is 1 pound over ticker.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann : 05-29-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:27 PM   #236

I decided to avoid the lowest/wettest areas of the park but still travel across part of the grass since pup adores running there. Worked well so far anyway. Our summer wet season is suppose to start soon (monsoons) then there will be no avoiding mosquitoes anywhere outside for a while. Youngest had his second dyslexia therapy today and the doctor thinks he's doing well and says he is very cooperative. Making spaghetti for dinner (I'll probably only have the sauce/meat/broccoli) then off we go to this year's final student council event, a night at the comedy dinner theater with a musical about the 60's set on a beach. They are always extremely silly, but fun. OP today.

maryann Huge kudos for sticking to you plan for three days and surviving sugar withdrawal.

BillBlueEyes I will have a chance to practice not overeating tonight as they put all you can eat free popcorn on the tables at the theater. Ouch for the coffee and chocolate that got you. Sounds like you are feeling a bit better-good news!

GosfordGirl/Cheryl
Best of luck with your kefir. Kudos for surviving your PT. Wishing you an OP day today.

nationalparker
Thinking of you and hoping you and your parents had good days.

Last edited by AZtricia : 05-29-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:07 PM   #237
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 179/160/150

Height: 5-4

Thank you for the continued support! Worrying that mom is settling in for a long haul at rehab clinic instead of coming home to face Dad's cancer. She's an avoider. I'm realizing that now as my mind pieces things together from the past. I will speak with her tomorrow and remind her that Dad needs her home. He's been there for her for the past decade, day-by-day and hour-by-hour. Not sure how it'll be taken/ignored.

Food has been good - one serving of ice cream this afternoon and it was deelish. Meals were light and I'm good with the treat. Aiming for SLEEP tonight - slept well last night and a few more nights like that will really help us.

Have turned to a few brainless much novels on my kindle for mind-clearing reading as I fall asleep... Is anyone reading a novel they're thoroughly enjoying?

And an actual Beck question - is the green book mainly food ideas/recipes/diet plan?

Aiming for personals on the weekend... hope everyone is doing well as we're edging to the weekend!
Old 05-30-2014, 06:42 AM   #238

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies Was abandoned for dinner so wandered out alone to forage. Two contenders emerged: The best local BBQ rib place with pulled pork oozing flavor and smells wafting out the door to tweak the heart of a carnivore; The best local falafel sandwich joint with a buffet of fresh toppings that include pickled turnip. The serving size of the pulled pork would satisfy a hungry family but it's hard to stop once chomping. (For the record, I've never left meat on my plate at a restaurant even though I've doggie bagged some home.) Falafel won, CREDIT moi, since one whole-wheat pita of falafel and fillings better fit my calorie goals. And it was so good I later lobbied DW that we gotta go there together soon. On the street afterward folks walked by eating ice cream which got me drooling again, so I hoofed it home and had Greek yogurt with fresh blueberries. CREDIT moi for that second decision.

Walking, CREDIT moi, included the library where I picked up Walter Willett's Thinfluence celebrating that I got the first copy out of the county library system. The thought occurred to me that if I were in France and I'd picked up a baguette, I would be enjoying it on the way home. Yay for a brain that can think food anytime.

maryann - Kudos for three days of Simple Start. Extra Kudos "for not chocolate foraging" despite the pressures of finishing a project.

nationalparker My most recent novel was Elizabeth Gilbert's The Signature of All Things: A Novel. It's constructed as five novels as the main character advances through life. It's not 'brainless' but it is compelling; I was mesmerized. Beck's Green Book is a re-formulation of the strategies of the Pink Book with minor changes as well as her Think Thin Eating Plan. Sending supportive thoughts for your talk with your mom as well as for some SLEEP.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Many Kudos for planning in advance how to handle "all you can eat free popcorn." google cracks me up with its version of musical about the 60's set on a beach

Readers -
Quote:
day 17 End Overeating

There are two circumstances you might face while dieting that qualify as overeating:
  • If you eat any food in a greater quantity than you had planned. Maybe you had written down last night that you were going to eat 6 ounces of chicken but instead you ate 10 ounces. Or maybe you had planned to eat 1 cup of vegetables, but since your diet plan allows you to have an unlimited amount of them, you ended up eating 2 cups.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 153.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:08 AM   #239
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/175/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was a healthy day as was the day before. Credit. I'm happy with the scale still in my maintenance range. Our yard is looking very nice and I've persuaded DH (ala BBE and DW) to eat dinner at a little table on our wraparound porch. He's still really into TV at the end of a long day, which just does not appeal to me these days, which is why I've been reading so much. Our bedroom is the lightest room in the house come early evening and (thx to decluttering) is also one of the most pleasant rooms in our home. Getting off my feet is very appealing at the end of the day and since I started yesterday at 1am, retiring at 630 was totally ok with me.

BBE, strategizing ones' options regarding eating out has been so helpful to me, as a long term strategy. Like you, my brain is often thinking of food, and the better choice is usually my choice, too. I like finding someplace we can go to again VS "why did I do that?". Kudos for heading home for your blueberries and yogurt. When I looked in the frig last eve my favorite yogurt was "out of stock". Time to get some shopping done.

MaryAnn, simple start is such a great strategy. (I read about it after your post). Seems to me a really great long term strategy for getting back on track, too. Kudos for your success!

nationalparker, thinking of you as your family walks the path. My mom is an avoider, too. I'm sorry it's popped up at such an essential moment. I've had to accept a lot of her "ways". I figured out many moons ago that they were pretty set behaviors. I did have the thought the other day, that as long as your folks have been together, your dad is very well aware of her many ongoing behaviors and he loves and accepts her, anyway. Kudos for your being so centered and present. Reminds me how Dr. Beck says we will transfer many of our learned skills to other aspects of our lives. Take care.

AZtricia, I never realized you got monsoons down your way....just thought it was always dry and hot. Kudos for finding another path for you and the pup. Kudos for a pre-theater popcorn strategy.

gardenerjoy, I, too, find myself in your position right now, and it is a magic time. I, too, nead to plan ahead for keeping my eating in balance. Credit.

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), love the label on the chips! Even when unplanned, it IS a better choice. I'll share...I found these whole grain frozen waffles...company called Van's. I'm a label reader...it said
Ingredients: (which we're proud of)..it was a healthy choice and I smiled at their special note. Yay for PT!

6crowsgold, hope you are feeling better soon! Credit for maintaining your weightloss.

We are on the fast track with our personal rental project. This morning I picked out all the appliances and lighting fixtures on line, although I will purchase many at a DenverHDepot. I find it an extension of my Beck program, as I plan ahead. When I show up at the store with my list in hand I simplify my day and set myself up for healthier eating since the in store decision making can be very stressful (and food provoking). Credit moi!

My last 58 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!
Old 05-30-2014, 11:17 AM   #240

S/C/G: 173/ 158/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

OP yesterday. Even though the scale is stuck, I am happy with how i am eating. I know the loss will be slow ( so what is new?) and I am especially aware that my body is adjusting to changes in medicine etc. . . as my Dr. and I try to figure out mood swings and hormonal imbalances. I have been meeting my exercise goal.

BBE: Your Beck quote sounded familiar. In AA, we talk about crossing over the line into addiction when you consistently drink more than intended. Hmmm. . . Sounds like my eating history as well.

nationalparker: I read Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. Very light and fun. Also Susanna Kearsley Firebird (which is a sic fi, historical fiction and romance all rolled into one)

AZTricia: Sounds like you are joining me in a race to summer. I don't know about you but my boy is almost all booked up with camps and things already.

Well, in line with Beck's idea of trying new non food related things - I am venturing out into the world of Bingo at a casino tonite. Ladies Night Out. I really would just like to curl up at nite with my new book After Her but it is good to try something new. Wish me luck.

Last edited by maryann : 05-30-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.