Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #196  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday's food was better than the day before - too much but less sugar. I have finished the big "to-do" at work. The last two weeks will just be clean up. My events were a big success. Everything seems to be a big success these days and still I overeat. Counselor described my need to regulate my anxiety with metacognitive thought. Better than regulating it with sugar, I think.

Weight a pound above ticker. I am trying another Weight Watcher plan (Simple Start) starting on Monday. Until then, I will track and have two smoothies a day.

Thanks to flnu for sharing she would be happy under 160. I am under 160 and not happy. I will work on an attitude adjustment today. I am not the woman I want to be right now but I am certainly not the woman I was - suicidal, practicing alcoholic,and over 200 pounds.

I also appreciate the talk of canned salmon from Lexxiss. I will look for Alaskan Wild.

Happy Memorial Day Weekend, Everyone.

Last edited by maryann; 05-23-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #197  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Friday weigh in: down 2.5 to 161.5. I look forward to catching up with you all this weekend.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #198  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

OH, phooey - I just lost my whole post. Off to bathe my father. I took mom to ER this morning and she was admitted six hours later ... lots of sitting by her side today just shivering in the ER. Chilly. Dad was crushed that she had to go - he seemed better today until I told him and he seemed to shrivel up and have trouble breathing then. I am worrying about him. She called tonight after my brother left from there (he's been putting in HOURS with them this week - I'm certainly not on my own at ALL) ... my dad spoke wtih her and then teared up when he hung up. Nearly 64 years of marriage. 1950. A lot of life together.

Challenge has been cramming food in my mouth SO FAST when I'm super hungry instead of going slowly. Ate a quarter of a sub at 4 for lunch and then ate dinner at 7:30. Will work to get in some veggies tomorrow - even if just a panera salad.

Safe Memorial Day weekend for all!
ps Bill I like your description of using the touch pad. I second that.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #199  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Survived Crazy week OP, hurray it's done. Even did some early grocery shopping while the boys swam today since I was too worn out to walk the treadmill. Will still have to go out tomorrow, but it will be quicker. Brain is too tired for personals tonight, wishing you all an awesome weekend...see you tomorrow!

Beck FB Friday Weekend: If you’re going to a barbeque or a party this weekend, consider adopting this guideline: Only eat it if it’s on your plate. Grabbing handfuls here and there from big bowls makes it extremely difficult to keep track of how much you’re eating. If you’re deliberate about putting everything on a plate and then (sitting down to) have it, you’ll be much more accountable and aware of everything you eat. It helps!
Old 05-24-2014, 05:08 AM   #200  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Not a long weekend Saturday

Coaches

Credits:
Went to gym (nearly killed me - like I had never been before); walked ~9000 steps; food on plan today - last night a bit random and HUNGRY (I ate what I had planned but started eating whatever even before I sat down); got in some food and trying to make a plan for the week but distracted - have lunches packed for Monday and Tuesday!

When shopping I saw peaches and wondered why I was very drawn to them. And then I remembered BillBE and his peaches - and of course they are jet lagged and from USA! But I did buy one and it is in fact delicious. Maybe all the nice early ones come here I never know which are the better ones - the white or the yellow?

Ooh - rereading BillBE's post made me remember that I sampled three (3!) cheeses at the market. I could say it was for future reference - but it was for the cheese

BillBE - I didn't know Logitech mouses were repairable - although perhaps they aren't I agree - without a mouse life is insufferable (and my corded mouse is hidden somewhere in my zero storage area studio for just such a moment as yours). Thanks for the advice - I will need it when confronted with all manner of buffet tables regardless of the circumstances. Ouch for samples

Maryann - glad your big project is over and you get to regroup. Yay for success with events - you seem to be doing all the work to ensure success in other areas but I can see the frustration. Sugar - highly addictive and really comforting. My poison is salt I think (and a bit of alcohol)

Flnu - Huge credit for 2.5 down - you say it so casually Have a good weekend - nice to see you here

Nationalparker - I thought about my dad dying late last year and your post made me "tear-up'. My mum died a few years before just before their 60th anniversary. The bonds they have are profound and dad never recovered. I feel for your parents and you taking care and bearing witness. It is so hard at first to do personal care for a parent but you are just - doing it. Eat your veggies - hope you can find some

Tricia - hope you are feeling better and not sickening for something. Hope you get to replenish over the weekend!
Old 05-24-2014, 05:45 AM   #201  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - International Jazz Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Yesterday's prediction was so wonderfully wrong. With Friday's breakfast, I had another of the California peaches that DW bought on Monday, certain that it would be as terrible as one was the day before. It was juicy with rich peach flavor! Don't recall a peach developing flavor while ripening in my kitchen. What a treat. I declared the season here and bought some more.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi. Walk, CREDIT moi, included watering our community garden where the Sugar Snaps continue to climb their fences. DW's various flags seem to be working; we've had years when the House Sparrows had chomped them down to gone.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Yay for a good peach from a man who is now a believer (in yellow and white both). Ouch for the pain of gym after a period of missing it. Kudos for next week's lunches packed already.

maryann - Celebrating "Everything seems to be a big success these days" and sending thoughts that you come to enjoy your success. Good luck with Weight Watcher (Simple Start).

nationalparker"Nearly 64 years of marriage" is just so special. Kudos for remaining mindful of your eating even when lunch is delayed until 4pm. It boggles my mind every time I'm told of ER rooms being uncomfortably chilly.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Yep, "handfuls here and there" isn't the way to stay the path. BTDT. Kudos for OP despite a "Crazy week."

flnu - Waving back. 2.5 pounds down forever is good.

Readers -
Quote:
day 16 Prevent Unplanned Eating

Make a NO CHOICE Response Card
Think about some eating rules that you'd like to establish. You don't need to come up with all of them today. These rules might come to you over time. There is one rule, however, that you have to commit to (you don't have a choice in the matter). You must follow your food plan.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 150.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #202  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday I tried to get a new phone (see: crossing the River Styx with a coin in my mouth but that might not be hellish enough). Suffice it to say that after the lady confused my husband's line with mine and then canceled both, changed my phone plan so I was charged $50.00 in internet fees in the first hour, and then forced my husband to come in for a new sim card - well, I was very hungry. I canceled my exercise plan and tried to say "No choice" which worked - kind of.

Weight is a pound above ticker and I am very resentful it won't drop despite the fact I won't discipline myself to make it drop. Not very rational. But then that is what food addiction is - irrational. I know the way out of this cycle is to be kind and gentle with myself and others. I need to continue to to tell the truth and to slow down. So I have a plan today and have rescheduled Pilates. I also became aware that my plan is habitually beautiful for the day but leaves dinner undecided. I guess I hope I won't eat it. This isn't rational. I need to eat dinner even if it is small. So dinner planned today as well.

BBE and GosfordGirl: I always forget the joy of fruit. So many years of dieting have made it a stepchild of a dessert but a ripe piece of fruit is better than any manufactured sweet.

Nationalparker: You are in my thoughts.

AZTricia: I think I had a week like yours.

FLNU: Keep up the tremendous work

Last edited by maryann; 05-24-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #203  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Just needing to say "hello"

So - "hello coaches". Hopefully more to follow soon.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #204  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

nationalparker, I wish you one moment of peace today((hugs))

everyone else!

Today it's a brief check in or none at all. Food and exercise in the form of work both go well. I weigh every day and see my normal fluxuations. I've made much progress in the yard and with my rental project. Yesterday I installed a toilet for the first time. Lol. Costco and Sprouts today where I resisted all samples. Yay!

New garden tool: Weed torch...use to try and eradicate a noxious weed in my yard. The only time I can even try is right now when the thousands of seeds have just sprouted. Common purslane. Did I ever have fun this morning...before my neighbors were up, of course.

Back to the restaurant tomorrow for 3 busy days.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #205  
Enjoying la bella vita

Higher calorie intake today - not sure why I felt like I needed ice cream, typically not a temptation for me at all. (not counting gelato in Italy. That's a necessity. Clearly.) THANK YOU for all the supportive thoughts and good karma and prayers winging their way our way.

VERY impressed with a home health care agency. I called them at 11 last night with an issue with his lungs and they called back on the start of the holiday weekend within two minutes, had an RN call me right back, and since it could wait until this morning, the nurse called early and has come/gone. I have been impressed with every one of them, which breeds confidence. She thanked my dad for his service on this weekend and he was touched. I will lower the flag to half staff on Monday as he normally would have. Now to remember!!

Does anyone else have memory problems, or issues remembering direction steps, with little sleep - or am I losing it and thinking it's missing sleep?

We went out to a local Italian place for lunch and one of the family came out to see him and started crying, holding his hand with both of hers and saying, You don't know what it means to see you ... and the tears were just rolling down her cheeks. So I started crying, of course. They have been so wonderful to my folks. I said to Dad when she left, you know, money can't buy everything, right? He agreed wholeheartedly. We were both choked up.

Went to visit mom and didn't stay long. Dad suggested we bring her a few fresh gardenias from the garden - so fragrant, and since she's in the room alone, that was okay. She was pleased.

Working through the thoughts that my mother uses her inability to eat as an attention/conversation draw. She'll say she can't eat anything or it will make her sick ... I don't know how to handle this. What does she eat without fail? Hospital food. This is really bothering my brother. He's like you can't make three different meals (one for my dad that is nutritious and hearty and easy for him to eat, one for my mom that might be soup, crackers, fruit, because she doesn't want something "heavy" and then will gag at the first bite ... and one for ME that isn't beef/pork, etc.) I don't make mine different each night, and have picked up a few to go meals, to cheat a bit But we've got to get this fixed - if we can; it's been going on for years, off and on.

Watched The Monuments Men with my dad but he fell asleep during the second half and will put it back on tomorrow at some point.

Off to call DH - missing him, and the pets, a great deal.

I need a response card now that says I will not eat anything after 10 p.m. on this visit. EVEN if I had to skip dinner. I'll survive the loss of that meal. Good post reminder, Bill.

Last edited by nationalparker; 05-24-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:50 PM   #206  

My sore throat is finally a bit better but I'm stuffy and tired. Could be allergies, they are awful here right now...

Today was OP food, need to walk pup once more. Also need to plan breakfast. I wanted to bake carrot cake again, but it is getting late, so that will have to be another time. Collected the rest of our weekly groceries (including yummy peachs and pluots! Hurray for summer fruits!).

Interesting article about the latest research into obesity was on Dr Yani DF blog today.
Tidbits
"conventional calorie-restricted diets would comprise symptomatic treatment, destined to fail over the long term for most people...(because they) exacerbate the underlying metabolic dysfunction by further limiting metabolic fuel availability, lowering energy expenditure, and increasing hunger..."
++good "low glycemic index or a low-carbohydrate diet" & "low refined sugar intake" & "high omega-3 and low trans-fatty acid intake, adequate protein, high micronutrient and phytochemical content, and probiotics and prebiotics."

LINK to the article: http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1871695

nationalparker Sorry about the food difficulties with your folks. Hope you can figure something out for them. Awesome that your HHCA was so responsive.

Lexxiss/Debbie Hurray for resisting samples, finishing projects and all your hard work!

ForMyGirls good to see you again!

maryann Yikes, what a trial with the phones, horrid! Wishing you a MUCH better week next week.

BillBlueEyes Hurray for yummy peaches. I definitely need to pull out the pink book and re-read this summer. Such goodies that I don't remember.

GosfordGirl/Cheryl
Awesome for sticking with the gym even though it was tough. Glad your peaches were good

flnu Kudos for 2.5 down!

Last edited by AZtricia; 05-24-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:21 AM   #207  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - National Missing Children Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Best news ever: My new optical mouse is installed and a bundle of odd behaviors have disappeared. The old flaky mouse was causing minor difficulties that I hadn't attributed to it - just assumed that I was less facile. It took longer to break into the plastic packaging than to install! Yay for the automatic installation capabilities of modern operating systems - something we forget to appreciate since it's been around awhile.

Eating wasn't so good, Ouch. I had breakfast with a friend at a French pastry place and only had one croissant - Super CREDIT moi for that since the thought of two or three appealed. I kept telling myself that I'd have a peach when I got home. But dinner was from a potluck buffet with friends: wonderful conversation with friends new and old; reasonable dinner; but got into the dessert buffet - Ouch. I did take two walks, CREDIT moi. My cough improves, but dawdles so that I'm still skipping events where I don't have easy access to a quick exit since I'm still capable of a series that sounds like the Black Death.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – LOL at your new "Weed torch" - nothing beats a new tool when facing unpleasant jobs. Kudos that food and (working) exercise continue to go well.

maryann - Ouch for the irrationality of the human condition. Kudos for accepting that and choosing to move forward. Interesting dated idea that fruit is "a stepchild of a dessert."

nationalparker – Yes, "gelato in Italy" is a necessity, indeed. You got me drooling now. We have an Italian section in Boston - The North End - but I don't buy gelato there. I need to get me back to Italy; thanks for that reminder. Yep, the brain continues to decrease its short term memory over the years - a buddy reminded me of that yesterday. Reminds me of a super geek, super ADHD friend who didn't suffer from this because his short term memory had always been so bad he knew that anything he didn't write down was gone. He once borrowed a book from me and asked where I was going to write it down. When I said, "I'll remember," he responded, "No you won't," wrote it on a sheet of paper and taped it on my wall before walking out of my office.

Continuing to send supportive thoughts as you face such powerful emotions supportive your folks. Kudos to your brother for helping you see clearly what you're doing. Yay for gardenias to stay connected to the earth.

ForMyGirls - And a cheerful "Hello" back to you as you approach winter and we approach summer still wearing jackets against the chill.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Thanks for the "destined to fail" quote; I'm still wrestling with that concept since it's often used to justify weight loss surgery instead of being used to try to solve the underlying issues. Hurray, indeed, for "yummy peaches and pluots!"

Readers -
Quote:
day 16 Prevent Unplanned Eating

Make a NO CHOICE Response Card
To strengthen this idea, make a Response Card similar to the one below. Read this NO CHOICE Response Card at least twice a day and whenever you find yourself struggling over whether or not to eat something.
NO CHOICE
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 150.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 05-25-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #208  
Enjoying la bella vita

Good day, all! An earlier post that I'm aiming to actually POST. I start early and then keep deleting and retyping as I access the computer for work stuff during the day. To bed late and up early. Not a good day for my dad today - in severe pain from the moment he awoke. I tip my hat to elder caregivers to those that aren't family, because that has to be extremely difficult. Well, it probably has it's plusses and minuses like family, I guess. You don't come in with preconceived ideas of what won't be a good suggestion, but you also don't know the things that might sway someone and can be firmer without feeling hurt when pushed away.

Not getting on their scale here at all today - yesterday was a high calorie day for me, the main offender being that cup of ice cream. But on top of the other smaller things, so completely not needed. Dinner was light, though.

Able to catch up with DH for awhile - he's eating well, getting in salads, no less! Even if purchased, that's great. He's a knife collector, passed down from his grandpa, and I'd ordered him one as a surprise that was on a bit of a delay, so it arrived and I had him open it and he was very pleased and surprised - he didn't have one like it at all, and it's small and "really cool". Just wanted him to know I was thinking about him while gone.

At lunch I took a second helping of the leftover Thai food, to empty the container and throw it away. Then thought that it's so good, let's stretch it out and put it back in the container and popped it back in the fridge. Score! Rare!

Bill - Continued healing thoughts that your cough diminishes soon. Yikes on sounding like Black Death! How long has it been now?

Lexxiss - Do you sleep much at all? I imagine you falling into bed, physically and mentally exhausted. I hope you get restorative sleep! Your schedule would wear me out just tracking it, not even DOING it.

ForMyGirls - Yay! I was hoping you'd bop back in here. I'm hoping things are progressing with some peace for you with issues you were facing a while back.

Maryann - Your posts are always filled with thought-provoking lines. what a disaster of a day with the phones. Once it's settled, I'd call the company and detail what happened - if you remained with your former company, they should refund you much of this month's service for the issues. If it's a new company and they're starting out that way, same thing. I sometimes think - oh, I don't want to spend more time on it. But then it IS nice when a $50 or whatever refund is given.

AZTricia - How old do you think your pup is? I keep wanting to get a playmate for ours, but that'd be too much. I do know she loves to play with some other dogs, not all. We need to get out walking with her. I've failed her this year. You do such a good job being committed to getting out with your pup.

GardenerJoy - Hope you're enjoying a wonderful holiday weekend! I was thinking of noting on my calendar to remember to hit a farmer's market when I return home - you put the reminder in my mind a few weeks ago.

Last edited by nationalparker; 05-25-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #209  

Well, stinky! Our washer died in the middle of a load. Transmission seized up. The new one won't be here for over a week, so laundry is going to pile up. We are all running out for hair cuts (if the stylist is open) and then grilling hamburgers for dinner. Today will be OP though salty so I'll ignore tomorrow's gain.

nationalparker The vet estimated 3 years old for our pup. I agree that sometimes a playmate would be nice, but then traveling becomes more difficult and all the bills for a pet double. Kudos for the Thai food save!

BillBlueEyes Hurray for a new mouse that installed itself! As far as justifying weight loss surgery...I know someone who died from weight loss surgery and just wish the "establishment" would be more helpful with REAL information on nutrition and health. Her family misses her and would rather have her here and overweight.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:52 PM   #210  
Rosebud170

S/C/G: 311/208/176

Hello Becksters! Flying by to check in. It is so nice to have a three day weekend to try to get somewhat caught up or on the way to being caught up! Eating is going week-I upped my protein and was on a quest for lowfat protein sources...Costcos rotisserie chicken breast (already removed from the bones and packed in a bag!) and lowfat cottage cheese have been the best solutions for now. I do notice that it holds me over for a longer time. TDF recommendation is 20g of protein for each meal and 10 per snack. Exercise is really great ....still doing Zumba 4x per week, doing P90x3 each day and doing a couch to 5k on non zumba days. I am enjoying all of that! I have been slacking off on really reading my cards...so easy to have my eyes skim right over the words so goal to be more mindful about that is on the forefront.
Closed Thread