Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 05:42 AM   #16  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – At last the ground was thawed enough to pound in the stakes that hold the fence for our Sugar Snaps in our community garden a few blocks from home. CREDIT moi for the arm exercise of pounding. This is the moment where there's only hope. There's no green in any of the gardens except for four remarkably sturdy Curly Kale that survived the winter. We left them in place hoping for a few edible leaves before they start to bolt. Soon those who buy foot tall tomato plants will put them in to make the place look garden-ial.

Eating on plan, CREDIT moi, meant dinner done by 5:30 to leave time to walk to a presentation on the evolution of behavior in animals. The mind boggles at the research possible with cheap, rapid DNA sequencing. Walked home later in the dark. The city after dark continues to delight - particularly when walking past places providing fast food to students who are starting their evening as I walk home to end mine.

onebyone – Actually, Yes My take is that "this is about Beck" - every aspect of one foot in front of the other through life is part of our Cognitive Therapy strategies that scoop up eating and exercise. Without art submissions you'd never have a brain positioned for gym and sane eating. Kudos for your life plan.

CeeJay - Always inspired when you pack meals for your hotel nights.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Had to google your Ocean Trout to discover that it's what's called Rainbow Trout in North America. Neat to have another "go to food." Sounds like a stellar day - Kudos.

nationalparker – Ouch for having the emotions jerked around by schedule change in your dad's chemo. Double Ouch for family dynamics that make the difficult even more so. Kudos for taking time for yourself and your DH by taking in The Grand Budapest Hotel. I watched the trailer and have to add it to my list.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Just what I need to hear - "so instead I walked 2 miles." Many of the times I'm stuck could be seen as invitations for a brisk walk to clear the mind.

6crowsgold - I could get into broccoli and black beans. Kudos for one more fasting day.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

Writing and monitoring are very important, and if you're like most of the people I've worked with, I think you'll find that the idea of doing them is much more burdensome than the reality.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 135.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #17  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up setting things in order

Coaches

I went to the gym and post-poned my training sessions until June. Two months feels right. By coincidemce my trainer was there and the desk girl was alarmed by my request and had the trainer come out to talk to me. She assured me it was o when I told her what I wanted but then she wanted to make sure I was still exercising at home if 'm not making it in and I lied and could feel my face get hot and my voice kind of crack. When I feel guilty I don't convincing lie. But it's a lie for now as my 10 day re-set reintroduces a "toothbrush level" of exercise soon. For me this will be the 15min/1mile walk. I *do* feel much better about going to the gym since I said that though as it is the truth that I need to fit it into my ordinary life and I need to create the pattern where it works best.

Foodwise I started the more detailed journaling required of day#2 and the reason I felt I needed to re-do it. I need to note amt, time, how i feel, and the food should be home made. He mentions in the book those that used diaries as punishment/big clubs to beat themselves up with and i thought "I didn't do that" and there i was, entering light cream and coffee into the journal and i felt *pissed* that it "wasn't enough--i had to write the time and my feelings too" Seems I am one of the punishers so there we go, some new thing learned already. *credit!!*

Another sunny day out there. My subconscious must have truly believed it would never be nice weather again as I feel stunned these days by the sunshine and melting snow. I feel as though I could take a chair and sit in it, continually adjusting it to remain facing the sun until it sets. I don't think I can get enough of it right now.

Studio day for me! Very excited! DH added the crowning touch to my submission design and my day will be spent painting it on paper. Possibly life size-half size more likely though. Yay! I'm attaching the images from my other successful series beginning--ceramic figures all wearing slippers. So far only these two are complete.I am aiming for 20 or so and a gallery show with them somewhere sometime ie. I'm not selling them at the upcoming potters' guild sale! Someone wanted to buy them and i told them no, to wait. i know thats nuts but I need them to bring the future ones into being... she does have dibs though!

Have a great day.

ps. the figure holding something has a cup in her left hand and a plate with a chocolate chip cookie on it in the other. We love what we love...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fig1t.jpg (17.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg fig2t.jpg (22.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by onebyone; 04-03-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #18  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Not my best effort yesterday. I also had a post going yesterday evening, but then bolted from the laptop when DH came home, and left it undone. I prepped Trader Joe's chicken potstickers and fried rice, both a realistic serving with reasonable calories for what they are ... but of course the high sodium in the rice (and the other? I didn't check) ... but since I've not changed habits, I STILL hopped on the scale today to SEE how much water I'm retaining with my tight fingers, etc. Not pretty. Soon I will break that habit.

There is all drama at home. I've edited that out and suffice it to say, I'm aggravated beyond what is probably appropriate. I get frustrated at drama/exaggeration and am typically very dismissive, but this time it's gnawing away at me.

I went for a quick walk around my department and found a counter of three boxes of various stores' donuts and one box of frosted easter cookies. I checked the calories (160) on the cookies, so skipped that and took a mini peppermint patty. I didn't need it but at least savored it. A piece of candy before 10 a.m. is not wise. My hands are shaking I'm still so bent out of shape.

Dad's chemo is now scheduled for the day she leaves. I'll be there about a week later, and have offered to come in earlier if it will be helpful, so my brother will let me know as things progress. He's so very reliable, helpful, calm and we get along superbly. I wish I could take some of the burden off him.

I'll be gone for easter and will prep a small easter basket for DH - he tried on and really liked a watch over the weekend and while it's a little splurge, I'll pick that up and put that in there. I will include two reese's eggs - his faves, but only a little candy. He's working nights all that weekend, so I don't know best how to do it - call him and tell him where it's hidden, I think

OneByOne - I like your idea of keeping the streak number increasing and not reverting to Day 1 each day that doesn't meet your plan. I will start with mine today since yesterday was not pretty with extra small snacks. I can live with the peppermint patty for 50 calories. Love the body language in your pieces! Wonderful!

Bill - Credits for getting the gardens started. I am filled with 101 ideas on what i want to make my patio/gardens look nice, but mine is all flowers/shrubs with only some containers for tomatoes and peppers. I came home with a book of gorgeous patio ideas and keep dreaming while I scour the pages for ideas. In my dream home I will have shelves and growlights and warmth for seed starting. I used to have that at home in Florida and found success with some and not others, learned along the way, and enjoyed the process. Perhaps I can just create that in one room in my home here on a stand. That's impervious to curious cats.

Last edited by nationalparker; 04-03-2014 at 02:47 PM. Reason: delete some of the griping
Old 04-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #19  
Green Tomatoes

I'm reading The Diet Fix and using it to help me get back to my best routines. I'll read Day 2, about journaling, tonight. Reading onebyone's report, I'm already resisting the detail that is more than what I've done in the past. But I'm going to consider it a worthy experiment.

WI: -0.45 kg, Exercise: +50 95/1500 minutes for April, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 04-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #20  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I finally found an "internet moment" and I am taking it to check in even though I have other very pressing tasks. Credit. I have been having a continual problem with my aolbrowser locking up and this morning I had time to try another browser. It seems to be working and I will see if I can try an AOL-update. ??.

Anyway, I have been reading posts many times daily but it's very difficult with limited time to post from my phone. I have been pretty consistent at posting my good mornings on the SBD thread. Credit. I have much going on and I am trying to be mindful of food choices and work hard at resistance. I weigh every day and although I'm up a bit from my low weight I'm still within my range and I'm grateful for that.

I've been trying to get lots of different things caught up as we are traveling to Southern Cal next Wednesday to visit with the dear friend who was paralyzed in the car accident 3 years ago. It's bringing lots of "stuff" up for my DH with his brain injury. He has not gone through the process of accepting his best friend unable to even feed himself, and I've been trying to sit down everyday and have a discussion with him....helping him prepare. It's time consuming and emotional.

I'm going to try and get back for personals later today. Getting this to post is my first task.

nationalparker, sending supportive thoughts your way. I empathize with all the family drama and figure it to be expected since siblings all tend to deal with situations quite differently. Glad you feel comfortable to come here and share your daily thoughts. It's a very positive thing and I'm glad you trust us with your thoughts and feelings. Take care.

I'll see if I can get back later....
Old 04-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

A Drive By Post Today!

Yesterday was OP and a wispy 5 calories under. Today is OP, but I must decide about dinner on the fly before the day goes much further or I'll get home late and be ravenous.

Plenty of us are navigating our own "white water" this week. I do send the very warmest and best wishes to everyone!
Old 04-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #22  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default another one

Back again. I felt I warranted a second post as my 3rd submission has also gone in before the official deadline. This is unprecedented! I have to say I love not being behind the 8 ball.
What a load off. Credit for allowing myself to have some peace.

I love my submission. I hope I am chosen, but if not I am still making it. I feel I am onto something good. It's a great feeling.

Gardenerjoy: I have managed to keep up with the recording of my food so far today *credit* but there are places(Is. time/mood/hunger level/calories vs. just writing the amt.and what it was) where it does take more time and my resistance is quite high which tells me this really is something I need to do. Actually I can already tell you why--there is no room to zone out with food if I have to be so detailed. I still hide in my food and you can't hide and be aware at the same time--not completely anyway. I look forward to your reaction/insight very much.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #23  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello Coaches.

Looking at my program, I think my weight loss has significantly reduced my metabolism. The exercise I did previously carrying the extra weight burned more calories, so even though I'm doing more now I'm burning fewer calories. I think I'm going to re-set Diet Power again and let it find my new metabolism rather than wait for it to keep decrasing my "budget" by 10 calories per day. I really don't want to add more exercise! Maybe I should look at the fast day?

I read this article:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2806578.html
and found:
"A lot of patients ask if increasing calorie expenditure through exercise is preferable to decreasing calories consumed, Hensrud explains. "What's interesting is that to keep weight off, the research shows that physical activity is more important for that phase," he says. "But to lose weight, calorie restriction is best.""

So I have to face it and just cut back some more! I'll re-set tomorrow so I don't start off negative.

Cheryl/GosfordGirl
Kudos for going to the gym and OP eating! OP for me isn't working like I like so time to change the plan!

BillBlueEyes
So great that you have a garden! LOL about students starting their evening when others are done for the day!

onebyone So what is in the cup? Is your fav milk w/ your cookies, coffee, tea??? Awesome job on submissions.

onebyone
Very nice to prep a surprise for dh's Easter. I'm glad your brother is reliable help, sending e-patience for dealing with sis!!

gardenerjoy Kudos for sticking with an uncomfortable experiment.

Lexxiss Good to see you. I hope that you have a better than expected trip! Good to hear you are in a good range for you.

6crowsgold Good to see you. Kudos for OP!
Old 04-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #24  

Hello All! Do you mind if I join you? I have the Beck diet Solution book and I have read through it/worked through it some years ago, but I am in Maintenance now, after losing over 70 lbs scince October 2013 and I would like to work through alot of the principles again...

I havent read the Complete Beck diet, but I just ordered one off of Amazon.

There is something that always stuck with me through the Years is Hunger is Never an Emergency

Just something from Judith Beck I never forgot!

Can you tell me how this forum works, do you work through the book over and over?
Old 04-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #25  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahna View Post
Can you tell me how this forum works, do you work through the book over and over?
Hello ahna! Welcome to 3FC.

I'm sure the moderator and others will chime in to answer too, but we each work through the book at our own pace reporting progress (preferably daily) and acting as each others coaches/diet buddies. It is great to hear that the Beck principles have stuck with you and you've maintained! Looking forward to getting to know you!
Old 04-04-2014, 04:16 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Thumbs up Friday night

Hi Coaches

Today I walked the dogs, worked and went to a new acupuncture practitioner at the university's Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) clinic - a lot cheaper and more accessible. I am trying to keep an open mind and quell my positivist, scientific mind set. I liked the practitioner I saw and we will have 4 sessions and reassess. I need something to reduce inflammation and pain and it might work or not.

Today was my second fast day. I have followed my plan so far and do find it easy to have no choices that won't totally wreck the day. I am enduring hunger by telling myself I can have it tomorrow if I plan for it

BillBE - Yay for spring and being able to work the soil. Hope it softens up more soon. I didn't realise that the US seasons followed the equinox and solstice for seasons - we follow the British system (months), which doesn't really work for our seasons. I have attached a diagram of what is proposed for Australia - and it more truly represents what we are experiencing now - very late summer. I like the idea of Sprinter (Winter and Spring) and Sprummer (Spring and Summer) and the longer summer which matches our experience

Onebyone - Credit for reorganising your PT sessions to something manageable. I am looking forward to getting the Diet Fix and I will know what 'reset' means! Love your ceramic figures. Huge credit for being ahead of the game with submissions of your work

Nationalparker - I am so happy that you come here and offload what is going on at the moment - it is a difficult situation to be in. Yay for skipping donuts and picking something more reasonable. My experience of chemo rooms is that they can only take so many people. It would be nice if someone can be there for his first session to take him there and home and sit with him but there is not a lot of room for a lot of people so don't feel bad if you are not there for a week. How often is he having chemo? Usually weekly or less often

Tricia - Good luck with tweaking your program. The link that 6crowsgold provided is interesting info on the science behind the 5:2 diet so maybe if you follow it up it will help you decide. I have read the info on intermittent fasting for some time but didn't realise it had such an impact on cholesterol, triglycerides and ldl. Worth looking at the recording. Thanks for the link to the Huffington Post

Credits:
Ate on plan today - Yes - stuck to fast day calories
Planned food for tomorrow - have in mind what I will write down
I logged food as I ate it - yes
Weighed myself and logged it - yes - up .8 pound
Did planned exercises - Nothing planned - walked bit under 7000 with 17 active minutes.
I didn't eat standing up - 95%
I checked in with my diet coaches - Yes
Listened to motivation recording - yes x 2 - Also did the weight loss session last night
Made time for diet and exercise - Gym planned for tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seasons-entwisle-620x349.jpg (30.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 04-04-2014, 06:57 AM   #27  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome ahna

ahna

And, in case you didn't get this five years ago,

How did you first find out about the book by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you wander over here to the Beck Forum?
Old 04-04-2014, 07:09 AM   #28  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - School Librarian Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did Amped Arms and Abs class at gym. CREDIT moi for doing more crunches that I'd ever do on my own. I follow more each class, but still don't do all of everything. Felt like I'd done enough muscle work to justify my protein shake afterward. Reminds me that when I started this journey eight years ago, I believed the tout that the routine I was doing would give me six-pack abs in eight weeks. Right! I still dream of those when I look in the mirror. Or at least for the muffin-top to deflate to absolutely zero like in the ads for magic muscle building stuff. Oh Well.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi. No special challenges arose; wasn't unusually urged to visit the pantry. I'm out of the red Bell Peppers that usually go with lunch, so I'll get me to the store today to remedy that.

onebyone – LOL at a "toothbrush level" of exercise. Love the BIG VERB of your ceramic figures. Kudos for choosing to not sell then to build for a gallery show. And Kudos for giving yourself space by submitting before the official deadline.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for the vision of "back to my best routines." Hope the reported St. Louis tornadoes spared you.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Ouch for browser issues - they're supposed to be transparent and to make our lives easier. Sending supportive thoughts for dealing with your DH's friend and your DH's reaction.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Terrific Helpful Response to hunger, "I can have it tomorrow if I plan for it." I am mesmerized by your seasons diagram. Just love Entwisle's Sprummer and Sprinter. Added 'Gariwerd' to my vocabulary and Grampians National Park to my Bucket List. Looks like you guys get a whole lot of summer.

nationalparker – Sending soothing thoughts as you work to settle the drama that sits on top of the real family concerns. Ouch for donuts and cookies at work. Kudos for recognizing the single piece of candy and moving on.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Ouch for the reality that losing weight and getting in shape makes our bodies more efficient with exercise. I was soooo annoyed when I learned that - so unfair!

6crowsgold - Under is under, even if "wispy 5 calories under."

ahna - You're most welcome here. Love that you arrive already in full possession of "Hunger is Never an Emergency." My take is that the Beck strategies are just what we need for maintenance. Each poster uses this forum in their own way. The common thread is to hold ourselves accountable and to serve as Diet Coach/Buddy to each other. So we'll act in that role for you and ask you to do the same for us.

The quote at the end of my post does read through the books over and over, but the discussion offered by each is where we're each working at the moment. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

Planning what you eat is essential. It helps you to do the following:
  • Think about how you're going to get and prepare the food on your eating plan.
  • Remember what you're supposed to eat and when. If you don't plan ahead, you put yourself in the tougher situation of solving problems in the moment. When you feel hungry and look in your refrigerator for something to eat, you might not come up with a diet-friendly solution.
  • Eliminate spontaneous eating. Spontaneous eating - the little nibbles of snacks, leftover, and other food - is often what keeps dieters from losing weight.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 135.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #29  
Green Tomatoes

My response to The Diet Fix, chapter 2, about keeping a food diary was one long "NOOOOO." I didn't realize that tracking calories was going to be part of that. Am I really going to do that after losing 70 pounds without it? Well, yes, I am. Because I'm struggling to keep it off and I believe him that this will get easier and it will be only a couple of weeks of annoying fiddly computations before I get the pattern and have the data I need to record my normal meals in seconds.

WI: +0.1 kg, Exercise: +35 130/1500 minutes for April, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, ahna! Many of us have worked through the books one or more times. Right now, a few of us are working through a new book with similar principles called The Diet Fix by Yoni Freedhoff. This group is especially good, though, when I'm not working through any book. It helps keep me on track and apply the principles of what I learned.

GosfordGirl: I didn't realize that the British and Australians used months instead of equinoxes / solstices to mark seasons. That clears up some confusion I've had in the past. I thought it was "by definition" that the seasons lined up with equinoxes and solstices.

BillBlueEyes: We did have an interesting 24 hours of weather, but didn't even end up in the basement, although the sirens went off a few times. The projected tracks of possible tornadoes weren't near us. We did have a piece of ceiling collapse over the steps in the middle of the night, but that doesn't appear to be the damage of just one storm -- a long-term leak that couldn't handle the several inches of rain we got. "Call the roofer" is on today's list.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hello Coaches,

I was sick this week, and out of commission. I missed exercising on two days. But I stayed OP. Friday weigh in result: down ½ pound. I am glad for this because I really needed the adjustment. You know how sometimes you know you’ve lost weight but the scale won’t budge? I had the opposite problem. I “lost” 5.5 pounds in the last two weeks but I know that the scale was ahead of where my body was really at. Anyway. This week I feel more securely in the 160s. Yay! Other major credit: today at work, talking with a colleague, who was eating the chocolate peanut butter girl scout cookies sitting on the conveniently place nearby ledge for public consumption. I didn’t even notice them until she asked if we could move away because she couldn’t stop eating them. They weren’t on my radar because I don’t eat snacks at all ever at work.

BBE: Heh. I’ve had to (am having to) adjust my expectations as well. I mentioned to my husband that when I am fat, as I have been for the last 15 years (by slow accumulation of 3-4 pounds per year), my figure is theoretically perfect. You know, the figure I enjoy imagining I would have if I lost weight. Possibly not so accurate. Happily, I’m more motivated by health and fitness concerns than anything else. My knees are already loads better, for example, and I can keep up (at least more so) with my girls.

Cheryl: I haven’t really looked, but I do believe there is actual medical-grade evidence for the efficacy of acupuncture. Evidence or no, all that matters is whether it works for you. I sure hope it does. For diet, I also really like having super bright lines – it helps.

Ahna: Welcome! It’s a great place. Glad to have you on board. Counting bites is a new one for me. Cool.

Tricia: Thanks for the link. The quoted part makes intuitive sense to me. Diet Power can find your metabolism?!

Onebyone: Congrats on getting it done ahead of schedule. Feels great.

6crowsgold: Well done being OP. Carry on.

Lexxiss: Glad to hear your update. It sounds like you’re in a good headspace despite some profound challenges. I hope your trip goes well.

Joy: I kind of want to read The Diet Fix. Will you give a re-cap of the advice when you have a chance. I was put off buying it because I couldn’t really figure out the direction it takes from the online reviews and samples.

Nationalparker: Well done being OP. Who cares about water retention? It’s random. I’m sorry for the drama at an already stressful time.
Closed Thread