Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #76  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Onebyone, your video is going on my Christmas list! It'll probably go viral on YouTube, I should think.

I've looked at Diet Fix, hearing you all mention it, but it's too hard for me. And protein powder and me, well, we don't get along.

I do like some of Beck's approach but I can't take it all. I admire your ability, gardenerjoy, to rephrase and make it work for you. I can rephrase but can't get the original uncomfortable feeling out of my mind. Perhaps I should list what works - and leave the rest.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:18 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi everyone,

Just a quick check in.

Re protein- I am trying my best to eat more protein and I find it is helping with hunger. I am eating lots of egg whites at breakfast, lower fat greek yogurt or cottage cheese for snacks, only whole grain carbs and tuna or salmon at lunch and chicken or lean beef mostly at dinner. I don't always make the 15 gram per meal and 10 gram per snack recommended in Diet Fix but am trying to mostly do it.

Credits today:
-listened to motivation app
-checked in with my coaches
-20 minutes on exercise bike tonight even though I didn't feel like it
-read advantage and response cards
-did strength exercises for arms/shoulders
-wrote down food as eaten

Not so good today but not beating myself up for:
-went off plan this morning with a small serving of cheese and crackers at staff meeting
-went major off plan with miniegg easter chocolates with candy on outside at 5:00. What lead to that- very stressful day and did not eat lunch until 1:15. Was not going to get home till 7:00 and had the sabotaging thoughts of thinking I messed up this morning so a bit more would not hurt. A bit was not a bit though- don't really know how many I ate but it was a lot. And I really don't want to be eating sugar. Then came home at 7:00 and ate a big plate of pasta instead of a small serving with veggies and salad as planned. Oh well, I am moving on right now.

Have a great day tomorrow everyone!
Old 04-09-2014, 05:01 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Wednesday night

Coaches

Today was a 500 cal fast day and I have had a boiled egg so far - looking forward to dinner when I finish this. Went to work and did what I had to. No scheduled meetings for the next few days so I can actually get some work done for next week which is the last before an Easter break!

Debbie (Lexxiss) - hope the trip goes well. You sound organised.

BillBE - Credit for 3 different walks! And for not turning into a human disposal unit for the leftovers to make DW happy. The sixth extinction looks like something worthwhile to read. (LOL clever Russians and the media). The Beck excerpt yesterday is totally appropriate and what I always struggle with. Here I am with no food in the house except for tonight and tomorrow morning.

Gardenerjoy - how much protein is one supposed to have according to DF? I usually have no trouble hitting 100g because I restrict carbs but not vegetables (or chocolate )

6crowsgold - hope things have improved by now. You came back so maybe they have? The reference to TRX straps was from my post not yours. I think Bill had a cut and past issue. Follow the link in his comment to you, and you will see that they are a way of doing supported squats and planks and such like. And one can do far more athletic things with them as well. But I was proud to give them a go.

Nationalparker - Take care and thinking of you on your way back to your family

Onebyone - Credit for grappling with a new approach to food and diet and logging and weighing etc! I hope to join you all in a few days

Ceejay - Credit for moving on and keeping moving. So does that mean that one has 75 g of carb a day approx? Doesn't strike me as a lot - so wonder what I am doing wrong! Huge credit for getting yourself on the bike for 20 minutes! I last 10 maybe with a lot of pushing

Credits:
  • Ate on plan today - So far - fast day food
  • Planned food for tomorrow - breakfast only - need to buy some after gym
  • I logged food as I ate it - yes
  • Weighed myself and logged it - yes - up 1 pound
  • Did planned exercises - 9,000 steps plus 16 active minutes
  • I didn't eat standing up - today 90% (helps when you aren't really eating at all)
  • I checked in with my diet coaches - Yes again - got a streak going here
  • Listened to motivation recording - once
  • Made time for diet and exercise - Gym tomorrow - PT
Old 04-09-2014, 06:15 AM   #79  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - Winston Churchill Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – My walk, CREDIT moi, took me past a church thrift shop where two books walked out with me. Twenty-five cents a book ruins all other sales choices. Decided that if I had a fresh copy in my face, I'd read Dubliners by James Joyce, "There was no hope for him this time; it was the third stroke." Then plan a trip to Ireland to see all the places mentioned. The second was King Lear by Shakespeare, "Kent: I thought the King had more affected the Duke of Albany than Cornwall," because a friend is reading it to remind himself to treat his kids equally in his will despite their vast differences in financial need. And a flat wooden spoon made of exquisite walnut for 50 cents because the cooking utensils drawer is improved by lovely walnut. I'll take CREDIT moi for all the stuff I left behind.

Dinner included purple potatoes - seems they've become a staple around here. I love the feeling that a potato is healthy food. Maybe it is. Snacks on plan, CREDIT moi with the homemade double chocolate chip cookies still sitting on the kitchen counter barely concealed in their plastic container.

onebyone – Yay for a cold that leaves promptly. [Thanks for the Chris Hedges link - I'm already a believer that controlling the population explosion has to be the first step in preserving the planet's current eco-systems. Now I'm in for a dozen of your Weigh the Weight Away diet books with the Blue-ray disk with James Earl Jones.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I searched with no success to find the cricket flour that's listed as an ingredient in the cricket granola bars I mentioned a few weeks ago. No joy. Certainly it's for sale somewhere. Should have great protein density.

CeeJay - Seems to me that you're winning when you think, "but not beating myself up," and "Oh well, I am moving on right now."

silverbirch – LOL at "protein powder and me, well, we don't get along." Be well.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – I posted to you yesterday as 6crowsgold. Oh Well. I so appreciate the notion of a few days without meetings as a chance to get some work done.

nationalparker – Have a good flight to Florida. Kudos for choosing to avoid adding to negative chatter in the threads you read.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Think I'll try that Hake fish from Costco.

6crowsgold - Hope you're feeling better; Kudos for on-plan anyway. [Ooops . . . I posted a response to GosfordGirl after your name. She had taken the class using TRX Straps.]

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

Looking Ahead

Tomorrow will be your first official weigh-in. You'll step on the scale first thing in the morning and write your weight in your diet notebook. You'll need to refer to the number next week when you weight again and create a weight-loss graph to help you monitor your progress (page 174).

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 137.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 04-09-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #80  
Green Tomatoes

Day 4 of The Diet Fix by Yoni Freedhoff is about making a menu for the week and a grocery list. Not too difficult, most of the time, but I'm having a slippery sort of week so I struggled some. Not really The Diet Fix's fault, but grumbling at it made me feel better. Thanks to AZTricia for the tips about adding protein -- that really helped the process!

I read Day 5 last night and laughed at this summary of what we've done so far: "These may seem like small steps, but after decades of walking on unsteady ground, small steps are a great plan." I agree with the statement, but not with the notion that what we did in the first four days were small steps.

When I try to get people to work through one of Beck's books, I get the response that it's too harsh or too dogmatic or there are too many rules. The Diet Fix seemed like a good antidote. But, I think that people are going to find Days 2 and 3 of The Diet Fix more difficult than advertised and get discouraged. Beck presents the picture as more bleak than it really is and Freedhoff presents it as easier than it really is. The two together may be bringing me to a happy medium.

A major tension for me in The Diet Fix is that on Day 2, we were promised that we only had to calculate the calories at the end of the day. And yet, on Day 3, we're expected to be able to come up with a whole day's meals and snacks with minimum calories and grams of protein at each meal. And, then, on Day 4, we're expected to come up with a whole week's worth. Well, if I'm computing only at the end of the day, it will take at least a week to have enough data to plan meals well. And, since many of my meals and snacks are proving to be inadequate, it will take another week or more of tweaking to get them right. I'm holding him to the promise of Day 2 and that's why I'm willing to accept a lot of mistakes right now. It will get better when I have more data.

WI: -0.25 kg, Exercise: +30 385/1500 minutes for April, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

GosfordGirl: The Diet Fix wants 20 grams of protein per meal and 10 grams per snack. He wants us eating every 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours, so that's 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks. You won't have any trouble if you're getting 100 grams. I've always been more of a low fat dieter than a low carb dieter, so this is a struggle for me.

BillBlueEyes: I read Dubliners before our trip to Ireland a couple of years ago and surprised myself by liking it. It helped that I read the annotated version, annotations by the brother of the President of the Missouri Botanical Garden who led our tour. Here was my review (no spoilers!): http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2012/03/...y-james-joyce/ I did get a kick out of walking around Dublin in the same places that the characters did. Another book I recommend for that purpose is The Insurrection in Dublin by James Stephens (http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2012/06/...ames-stephens/)
I enjoyed King Lear sometime in the last year or two, too, but didn't manage a review. Treating children equally is one good message. Another is to not trust flattery and a third is to not try to pass off the burdens of life to the next generation. A play that stands up quite well in modern times.
LOL at cricket flour. Did I mention that I'm now the proud owner of a grain mill? I don't need to buy cricket flour -- I just need to catch a lot of crickets!

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 04-09-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I have been working so much I get a comp day on Wednesday at Starbucks. I have only spilled coffee on my computer twice My sleep has not been great and I am counteracting it with a Venti Americano. A little jittery.

Heaven, though, to have time to catch up on posts, update my technology, people watch.

Proud to say this is day 9 OP. My plan has been very rigid - still a smoothie and salad everyday but carbs are only coming carbs and nuts. The protein requirement is huge!! So I have enjoyed hearing everybody weighing in on the subject.

Smiling to myself as I have read. I have created The World According to Mary Ann:

No whey or soy protein ( Finally discovered the soy and artificial sweeteners were making me sick. I use pea protein with a little stevia)

No James Joyce - Ever (BBE; how can a confirmed non fiction aficionado find a plot?)

No sleepless nights ( nationalparker: my sponsor told me no one ever died of lack of sleep but I am wondering if perimeter family members accidentaly did

Best to all.

Last edited by maryann; 04-09-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

Wednesday,

Still feeling very off. Dizzy and slow; possibly medication related.

I went 180 calories over on my fast yesterday to have some cottage cheese that seemed like it might help. Puts me to 680 cal total for the day, so the damage is slight.

OP today, trying to go home early and sleep some more. My best wishes to all.

Last edited by 6crowsgold; 04-09-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #83  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post still fuzzy

Coaches

I'm still a lump. This cold has morphed but it's still with me. My ceramic friend is coming to get me in the morning and I am going to try to make things tomorrow. We'll see how far I get with that.

I overate last night, after I checked in here. I am back on track today though. *credit* I'm holding at day 4 though until this cold passes. After my weigh-in a friend mentioned that the diet fix 10 day reset is not about the lbs lost but about setting into place the means and method to stay on track. Indeed Dr. Yoni doesn't prescribe to the fast weightloss plan and I need to accept that. what is causing me to think otherwise is an upcoming tv appearance for the potters' guild on May 1st. It's just cable tv so very few people will see it, and it is a short segment of 7min max, and I am comfortable with the whole process but, as usual, and as has been the case for decades now, I just wish I was better looking in front of the camera. My *secret fear* ie. sabotaging thought is this "those days are gone now. even if you lost weight you would look old and your skin all saggy. You squandered your natural beauty being fat." There it is. Harsh, eh? Like I would ever say that to anyone else ever? No. But I say it to myself and it is a new spin on the old self loathing that came with the bump up in years this past birthday. I would like to know that I am wrong about that. I am often wrong about these "predictions" based only on my emotional state.

Anyway, whatever. I have a nice outfit I like, and I just need to deal with my hair which I have neglected and then I will be good to go. I am doing the segment on tv with my friend who makes me laugh and if the host is at all any good, we should make for entertaining tv.

Going now. Wishing everyone a good rest of he day or night, whatever time it is when you read this.

silverbirch You will get an advanced copy of the blue ray in a format compatible with the UK. I anticipate making so much $ from having solved the dieter's dilemma as to be able to purchase You Tube. That will certainly help my video go viral.

Ceejay Yay for keeping on. Me too. We certainly are fabulous.

6crowsgold oh! sorry you're still feeling off. Hopefully some extra rest will help. Take care

maryann Hello. I too eschew soy protein and I only want protein from whole foods though if I have to I will search for the pea protein. Glad you have some time and people watching is a great artistic pass time. What are the kids wearing where you are? is what is on my mind to ask you as well as wondering if anyone is sporting a monocle which according to this is the new fashion trend! So far not de rigeur in the suburbs of Toronto North.

gardenerjoy yep, right on the money re: diet fix challenges. I am glad you are persevering as well. As for crickets, you can get them at any pet store. They are sold as food for reptiles. I also think you can order them online--well maybe not crickets. Maybe just ladybugs....

BillBlueEyes I love wooden spoons. My friend once made me a book words and collaged images, called Ode to a Wooden Spoon. Despite my love of the wooden spoon, DH doesn't share this, and so over the years I haven't used them much until I found bamboo utensils at the dollar store! Now I am hooked again and have replaced a couple of worn out ickky cheapy plastic ones with the bamboo version. I do hope you use your utensil and not just admire it for it's walnuttiness.

GosfordGirl Many and varied credits on your list! Kudos to you! Cannot wait until you join us on DF to see what your observations are. I look forward to it.

Must go. Sniffly. Sigh.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-09-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi everyone

ahna- amazed by your huge weight loss- 70 pounds in 19 weeks. How did you manage that? Would love to hear any advice you have.

Lexxiss- hello to you. Miss reading posts from you- you are always such an inspiration for me. Enjoy California!

AZtricia- great job with 3 miles on the treadmill and ignoring hunger after dinner.

nationalparker-fantastic job not eating over the huge stress in your life.

silverbirch-waving hello. I agree we can take what works for us out of what is advised by Beck and leave the rest. For me I have found daily weighing makes me crazy. For others it probably works.

GosfordGirl- gym + 8000 steps= huge success!!! I think the Diet Fix recommends an amount of protein per day but not carbs. I am not having trouble getting in the total protein so far. Really nice list of credits!!!

BillBlueEyes-love bargains on books. A trip to Ireland would be fantastic. I have not seen purple potatoes up here but I am going to look. BTW- saw first robins of the year today.

gardenerjoy-really great reading your comments on the Diet Fix. I agree that day 1-4 are certainly not small steps. In fact they are huge, at least for me. I think Beck is a bit dogmatic too but then again the things I have put in place suggested by her have helped me a lot and I have been able to stick with them, even when I am not eating well.

maryann-nice to see you. Congratulation on 9 days OP.

6crowsgold- hope you are feeling better. Yay for an OP day today.

onebyone- hope you are feeling better soon. I totally understand what you said about worrying that when we lose weight we may be old looking with baggy skin. You know what- if the trade off is feeling better, living longer and being able to do more in life- it will be well worth it! We will always be beautiful to the people who love us.

For me- back on plan today. So grateful for that. Two days on the exercise bike resulted in a huge flare up of pain in my good knee. Geesh I am ticked off about that. So icing and resting today and then taking smaller steps. So frustrating.

Off to the hotel tomorrow with a plan and food packed.

Check back in on Friday.

Take care everyone
Old 04-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #85  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello Coaches,

Today was pizza day again here. I choose not to participate and made a salmon salad. Unfortunately I still feel hungry. I have reached the pre-exercise calorie budget and prefer to stop and let those "burned" calories hopefully burn some fat! So I'm coming here to report in and also making some cinnamon tea instead of eating more. An interesting note, I average 120 g of protein daily. Most of the protein is egg/meat/yogurt but some is nuts or even veggies (broccoli is 36% protein!).

Food OP
Exercise OP

And I was able to walk a bit faster on the treadmill today without pain! Previously 3.3-3.4 mph was my best and I was up to 3.7 today.

CeeJay Kudos for back OP, hope your ouch knee feels better tomorrow. See you Friday.

onebyone Sorry you are not feeling well. It is very interesting that you will be on TV! How fun that it is with a good friend. Kudos for recognizing sabotaging thoughts!

6crowsgold
Sorry you are still not well. Wishing you a better day tomorrow!

maryann Kudos for day 9 OP! Soy & whey don't agree with me either, where do you find pea protein?

gardenerjoy Thanks for sharing your progress and opinions in using The Diet Fix. Sounds like you are doing lots of planning and calculating-yikes!

Cheryl/GosfordGirl Kudos for your strength on your fast day, 9000 steps, and planning the gym tomorrow.

nationalparker Hoping you had a safe trip.

BillBlueEyes Potatoes have lots of potassium and the purple ones can apparently reduce blood pressure! http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/purp...tion-2182.html

Lexxiss
Wishing you a wonderful visit to CA and safe travel.

Now that I'm done I'm no longer hungry - thanks coaches!!

Last edited by AZtricia; 04-09-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:34 PM   #86  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Long day going on 20 hours and im ready for bed. Food was ok, so credit for that... frustration with sis/drama... dad did have chemo and he was feeling ok and had appetite so thats great. Keeping my fingers crossed he does well tomorrow. Credits were good salad from panera for lunch, light dinner and few snacks.

Busy morning tomorrow and then hope to settle down with office work tomorrow afternoon when they're resting.

Dad is down 40 pounds and very thin and frail now. Hard to see, but harder for him. He didnt have that to lose. At all.

Goal for tomorrow is to check in with another op day and drink more water.

Maryann .. what isbyour best treatment for sleepless, tossing, mind running on warp speed nights? I go thru all the b/w tv shows I can name, tben every car that starts with a certain letter, then names od aircraft, then dh wakes up and asks why cant I just turn my brainnoff... haha if only.

Last edited by nationalparker; 04-09-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:11 AM   #87  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Rainy Thursday

Coaches

A desk day today after I went for PT at the gym this morning. Because I did a hard work out 2 days ago in the TRX class all my muscles were tired so I was a bit incapable today. But I made it through the session. I hate it when he wants me to do floor/core work - I feel vulnerable on the floor because I am less mobile and clumsy (beached whale is what it feels like). I think I will refuse to do it for a while until I get more mobile.

My Diet Fix has arrived - international shopping is getting very speedy. I have had to resist looking at it because I have a couple of days work that I can't ignore - sigh

BillBE - Purple potatoes sound good - in Australia there was recently a furore because of a new very purple plum which reduces all sorts of health parameters. I love Autumn because I notice the Magpies carolling or warbling or whatever - I never hear it at other times of year, not sure if it is seasonal, but when I walk the dogs early or at dusk I get their song which is special. I know Autumn has arrived

Gardenerjoy - It does sound like an awful lot of planning and doing to fit into a few days. Can't wait to find out. There is an awful lot of protein in a 80g can of red salmon (18g), or in chicken breast. And fresh salmon is really high. I am always surprised by how much - and good fats

Maryann - yay for 9 OP days - fantastic

6crowsgold - hope things improve, and that you adjust if it is about a medication change.

Onebyone - Your television spot sounds really exciting and you sound all prepped for it - credit to you. I hope you shake this cold soon and feel more energised. I like your incredibly "rational" analysis of your sabotaging thoughts - and CeeJays rebuttal.

CeeJay - Credit for back on plan - I like to read that. Gee that is irritating that even the bike irritates your knee Hope RICE helps and I totally understand why you would be ticked off. You are only doing it alternate days aren't you? I need a rest day between.

Tricia - credit for dealing with hunger with cinnamon tea. I get 100 g of broccoli as only having 3 g of protein (3% w/w) in MFP? If it really is 36% I am having a lot of protein. Glad your pain is improving and you can speed up your pace rate. I am slowly getting faster too and it feels good

Nationalparker - thinking of you at your family home. No suggestions for sleeplessness - when I wake in the middle of the night in a panic state I just read or do sudoku. Not the best solution

Credits:
  • Ate on plan today - Yes
  • Planned food for tomorrow - fast day tomorrow
  • I logged food as I ate it - yes
  • Weighed myself and logged it - yes - down 1.6 pound
  • Did planned exercises - Gym plus 8,000 steps plus 9 active minutes (why doesn't gym register - only rapid walking)
  • I didn't eat standing up - today 70%
  • I checked in with my diet coaches - Yes
  • Listened to motivation recording - while I am doing this!
  • Made time for diet and exercise - Gym Saturday
Old 04-10-2014, 05:54 AM   #88  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - National Sibling Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did Pure Muscle Tone class at the gym, CREDIT moi. I left the class worn out, but further humbled that during the two minute break to get water, the instructor did two minutes of outrageous step-body-movement just to amuse herself. She's one solid toned body. Fortunately, the woman next to me was four months pregnant so there was someone I could out-perform. Don't compare. Don't compare. Don't compare.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi. Dinner was the spicy chickpea dish that DW made on Monday night when I had to leave before it was ready. Served with a pumpkin seed bread and a green leaf veggie. Made it a vegetarian day for me. After dinner walked to get Diet Fix by Yoni Freedhoff from the library so I can understand what all this fuss is about. Of the ten copies in the Middlesex Library System, only two are available. On Amazon, 'new' copies are being offered starting at $2.95 plus $3.99 shipping. Seems like mixed reviews.

onebyone – Yep, any thought that begins "You squandered" is a Sabotaging Thought. Neat clue to recognize that you'd never say that to another person - so you can start designing Helpful Responses to be kind to yourself. Every human being is stuck with that bummer of looking in the mirror and seeing our bodies age. 'Tis bummer enough without adding negative evaluations of lives that could have been. I know very few full time artists; you're making it along a most challenging path. Perhaps you can solicit a friend to repeatedly remind you that onebyone is one of life's winners. [Yay for wooden cooking utensils. Let them out to do their magic.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for "grumbling at it made me feel better" - so very Cognitive Therapy to do what it takes. [Thanks for the links to your book reviews. Each thing I read reinforces the notion that I might just plan this trip to Ireland. (Diligently collecting Massachusetts crickets to ship to St. Louis to help with your diet.)]

CeeJay - Ouch for pain in the knee with Kudos for making a plan to go forward in smaller steps. So inspiring to read, "Off to the hotel tomorrow with a plan and food packed."

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – I know that difficulty of bouncing up and down from the floor. My gym class had one exercise where we had to do that repeatedly to position ourselves for the exercise. For me, that itself was the challenge. Kudos for making choices to fit your needs at your own Physical Therapy. [Love the Magpies singing - not a local bird here.]

maryann - Nine Kudos for nine days on-plan. If Venti Americano is what it takes, so be it. LMAO at "No James Joyce" - I'll let you know when/if I find the plots. Does literature have the equivalent of Jackson Pollock that I'm not educated to?

nationalparker – Glad you've made it to Florida. It's tough to see you dad losing weight he doesn't have to spare. Kudos for remaining clear about eating despite the other challenges you're facing.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Super Kudos for reporting here and drinking cinnamon tea as a Strategy to counter hunger. 120 grams of protein a day is a goodly amount. You might want to verify the protein in broccoli - there are some sources that give it a more modest value. [Thanks for the link to Purple Potatoes - I'm even happier eating them now.]

6crowsgold - Yep, 180 calories is slight; Kudos for continuing on your plan. Yay for sufficient sleep.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

Looking Ahead

Follow these pointers:
  • Try to wear same-weight clothing for all your weigh-ins.
  • Step on the scale only once. Don't weigh yourself a second time, hoping for a lower weight. It doesn't really matter, and it'll only make you obsessive.
  • Don't think of your weight as a catastrophe or criticize yourself. It doesn't matter if you weigh 125, 150, 250, or 350 pounds tomorrow. Whether you have a little or a lot to lose, you're going to use the skills you're learning in this book for your whole life. It doesn't matter if it takes you four weeks or four years to reach your goal. You're going to be doing the same things for a very long time.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 137.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #89  
Green Tomatoes

Day 6 of The Diet Fix is exercise. That's easy enough for me. I agree with his approach -- it's how I got started.

I had a hungry day yesterday. That's not supposed to happen on this plan. But, I'm supposed to eat if I get hungry and I didn't. On the surface, eating when I'm hungry seems like a reasonable enough response. At this point, though, I trust "hunger is not an emergency" more than I trust that I can control myself if I have unplanned food when I'm hungry. I can see that might be a good skill to develop, but it's not one that I have in my toolkit right now.

As AZTricia and GosfordGirl pointed out, I'm doing a lot of math on this plan. Fortunately, my math phobia begins somewhere in the mid-semester of college calculus and I don't need that level of math. I am using ratios a lot. So, I'm wondering how other people cope with the math in The Diet Fix or other plans. My mother-in-law doesn't do numbers. She won't even try Sudoku. Every one she knows is convinced she'd love that type of puzzle and points out that the numbers are just symbols, but she won't go for it. The Diet Fix might be a good fit for her, but she wouldn't be willing to do as much math as I'm doing.

WI: -0.35 kg, Exercise: +50 435/1500 minutes for April, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: I do look better in my clothes now that I've lost weight. Swimsuits are still utilitarian attire for me and I just don't think about it too much. Only one person sees me naked and he's never inclined to complain about that! I never expected weight loss would make me look 20 again, and it didn't, so that's good that I didn't expect it! I did hope that weight loss would reduce pain, get me off my blood pressure medicine, and make me look more professional and put-together in my clothes -- and it did!
Your TV spot sounds terrific. Good for you for taking on what life has to offer in this moment. I join BillBlueEyes in admiration of the way you've lived your life as an artist.

GosfordGirl: Thanks for the warbling magpie! We don't have them in Missouri. I've seen them in Utah. Wikipedia says they can be as far east as Iowa and Minnesota. They apparently don't like heat and humidity, so the east and south-east don't have them. We get crows, instead.

nationalparker: I had something of a break-through on sleep a few months ago when I realized that I do better when I go to bed earlier. I used to believe that staying up late would make me sleepier. But, it just made me more tense and made my nights even shorter. It's not a miracle cure to sleeplessness (especially with hot flashes), but it's been a definite improvement. Lately, I've had good luck thinking "cozy" thoughts when I'm awake in bed. After seeing the tiny hotel rooms in London designed for solo business travelers, I've been designing my own. Or, last night, someone had puppies on Facebook, so I thought about puppies and drifted off to sleep that way. During hot flashes, I get up for a few minutes, but sit on the floor next to the bed and read an e-book on my phone until it passes.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 04-10-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #90  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Sorry about the broccoli confusion. Statistics!! I believe Diet power uses the USDA nutrient database: LINK to Broccoli

And my intention was % of calories, not by weight. For instance, 100g of frozen cooked broccoli (from link above) has 28 calories and 3.1 g of protein. Protein is 4 cal/gram so nutritional % in that broccoli is actually about 44%, other ways of preparation suggest as low as 27%. Not sure why the variation?!?!
Closed Thread