Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 06:36 AM   #166  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Easter

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The morning newspaper was late; I gabbed with DW over breakfast; then realized that the gym class I wanted to do started in 15 minutes with a ten minute walk to get there. Too bad that I had to miss it. Enough brain was awake to recognized that as a Sabotaging Thought. Helpful Response: Since I don't shower before gym, rush, rush, rush; accept that the leader will be annoyed if you're a tad late; and do the class. I did, CREDIT moi. A better reason to want to miss it is that it pushes me with the planks and crunches. After class I drank a protein shake to replenish the torn muscles (counted as morning snack). That shake makes me feel like I'm making progress since that's what the muscle guys drink. Talk about using the placebo effect, LOL.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Dinner was the third planned meal from the pot of bean soup DW made a week ago. Perhaps that's responsible for the return of late winter since bean soup is just the best when it's cold outside. My major success was to plan to have no snacks at an event where the table held: three choice cheeses, three types of crackers, open bowl of mixed nuts, specialty cashews, dried figs, stuffed grape leaves, and clementines. CREDIT moi since I could have planned to take a modest portion of some good stuff, but I wanted to exercise my resistance muscle that had wandered off path the day before. (Taking careful inventory of the snacks offered seemed to help me reduce them from an infinite spread to just a dozen items.)

onebyone – Seems like the key, "I think whatever I have discovered that works for me I should keep on doing no matter what/who suggests some other path." Sending supportive thoughts for your lunch today with both mothers. Kudos for spotting that fretting about Thanksgiving is some long range projecting, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat tips to get a mini-fridge or to have the mini-bar version emptied. I enjoy coffee earlier than is often available in the lobby and the in-room coffee maker always supplies powered white stuff made with trans-fat. A container of milk in a mini-fridge makes me so happy. I look forward to the day when I can "eat when you're hungry" - my 'hungry' still needs some training to avoid responding to the site of any food, anytime.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Love being reminded of all the fermenting going on in your house. I need to get sauerkraut into my diet - either because it's good for my gut or because it's good for me to believe that. I'm a serious believer in the placebo effect so I'm inclined to believe that my attitude toward the food I eat can reduce physical hunger.

maryann - It makes me so happy when you step back and see that what you're losing with your DS is his transition in life - that will bring its own set of joys. Congrats on those three pounds from ticker.

nationalparker – LOL at Arby's "not at all like the picture on the menu" - I'll remember that next time I'm feeling seduced by those pictures. Super Kudos for making yourself safe and available for your brother. I'll cheer from here for your niece running the Boston Marathon and think about your dad. (I'll use the image of him being saluted by the guards as you drove him through the gate.)

6crowsgold - Congrats on another pound gone. Half Way point is so close.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Week 3 Go: Start Your Diet

These are all life changes that will become a part of your new mindset as you continue to practice your skills every day. Are you surprised by how much you've learned? If you're starting your diet this week (or if you started it a while ago), don't you feel better prepared? For example, you now know two crucially important things about hunger and craving. The first is that you can tolerate these uncomfortable sensations no matter what and that if you don't give in to them then they'll pass. The second is that you can make them pass much faster by using your anti-craving techniques, changing your mindset, and engaging in helpful behaviors. Now, you'll know what to do for the rest of your life.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 140.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:06 AM   #167  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I've noticed my posts these days always begin with, "I finally found an internet moment…", and rings true again today. I looked back and I did post after returning from our trip. This week I finished my taxes as I (mentally) had said I would but won't push the button until my check clears the bank. Credit. I mention that because I eat over procrastination. My back is better but not 100%. I went over to my pool home on Wednesday and got lots of exercise and saw my favorite chiro, which really helped. Food has had some ups and downs this past week...but I ALWAYS keep trying. Credit. Scale is up today and I considered not checking (post travel) but did anyway. Credit. Upon wakening I realized I had forgotten the entire bag of veggies for my smoothies and since I have to work today I got in the car and drove 20 min. each way to buy organic stuff so I could stay my smoothie course. Yay! Well, that's about all I have time for. I'm grateful for all of you and am also happy with myself for accepting imperfect posting. Hi Ho It's off to work I go!

BBE, great that you just jumped up and got to class AND skipped all the snacks at your event. It's certainly a great strategy for you since you seem to have so many of them.

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), my you are getting quite organised! Credit! Very interesting about the studies on the placebo effect of food. Thank you for taking the time to share it.

Onebyone, sending you support as you deal with both mothers at Easter dinner, and with all the associated foods.

6crowsgold, yay for more pound down and a step closer to your 1/2 way point.

Nationalparker, I'm so glad you continue to post and check in with us. It's such a difficult time for your family and saying hello helps us all.

Maryann, kudos for walking through all your feelings about your event today. I hope you are feeling better soon!

Gardenerjoy, thanks for the literary review of DS! Will we read this one on your blog?

Aztricia, I was most impressed by your one off plan day! Kudos to you for such a dedicated streak!

Flnu, credit for staying the course while on vacation! It's always great to hear from you!
Old 04-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #168  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello Beck friends,

Hope you are all enjoying the weekend in whatever way suits you!

I have had a most miserable time food-(un)wise this week. I need to figure out/face what happened. To start with: the usual combination of overwork, hotels, lack of planning and a huge dose of "I don't care" and "I will eat everything now before I start again". And I think the biggest contributor to all of this is that whatever happened with my knee 2 weeks ago I think must have been some sort of injury as opposed to arthritis because it is still really bad. Can arthritis go to tolerable to intolerable overnight? If things don't turn around soon I guess I will need to go to doctor. So that is depressing me for sure. The ironic thing is that the ONLY thing I can do to help this problem is lose weight and this problem is using so much energy just to get through the day that there seems to be nothing left and to lose weight I need to be in a strong, motivated state of mind. I do not feel strong and thinking this way is making me feel like a total wimp.

I need to find the strength to regroup for the millionth time. I think that I need to accept that for now restaurants are too much to deal with and sugar has to stop. Today I am not eating sugar. No matter what.

Thanks for listening.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #169  
Green Tomatoes

Happy Easter, if you celebrate and happy Sunday to all! We made a visit to the one good seafood market in St. Louis yesterday so we're celebrating with food, but healthy food. I haven't got a plan and I'm not tracking because this is all requiring much more marital cooperation than our normal eating day and that doesn't respond well to a plan. But, I'm being careful and I'll consider that good enough for one holiday.

onebyone: I agree with your skepticism that Freedhoff too easily embraces the notion that one should feel free to eat anything. I read his section on addiction and didn't understand what he was getting at. I find it so helpful to think of my binge eating as addictive behavior. Organized eating, as he advocates, helps. But so does staying away from the foods and situations that I associate with binge eating. He does require that we assess the food we're going to eat, figure out the calories, and ask ourselves what's the smallest amount that would be satisfying. If I go through all of that, it might have the same effect, but I fear the day that I decide to skip the assessment phase. I think I'm better off arranging my life so that those sorts of foods make as few appearances in my brain and in my environment as possible.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:15 PM   #170  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, all! Seems like I was on the go the entire day. Just finished up my "work" work for the weekend. A sense of relief with that. Tomorrow will be a very busy day. Trying to work in an urgent appointment for my father, along with everything else. He has been through the wringer and I cannot imagine how he feels. He's been lucid and interactive today, a major relief, despite the intense mouth pain now.

Food was good today - not sure why/how, but made smart choices despite wanting to eat more. Almost afraid that when I return home next weekend, I'll go off the wagon with the food. DH will be working, I think. Need to set a plan in place on my flight home, but don't want to think of leaving yet.

It will be easier to leave at the end of this week, saying, I'll be back in a few weeks.

The guilty feeling of being able to eat still is present, while folks are unable to eat much (mom) or anything (dad).
Old 04-21-2014, 05:24 AM   #171  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Patriot's Day with the Boston Marathon

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was the normal walking, CREDIT moi, in the morning and a bush moving in the afternoon. I'm married to that type of gardener who rearranges plants to their advantage with the frequency that some folks rearrange furniture (which we never do). My jobs were to dig the new hole, jointly dig up the old bush, and to hold up the bush as DW shoved dirt under it until it was at the right height and level. You'd think she was building a cabinet, LOL.

Registered a morning snack that fit my plan but wasn't necessary. A fancy presentation had been constructed of milk chocolate covered pretzels to look like a bird's nest with colorful candies in it representing eggs. Despite being so Martha Steward, it was appealing enough that I split one with DW. It was no better than its components sound - a waste of consumed calories. I watched folks trying to figure out how to eat a loaf of bread with eggs-in-the-shell woven into the top. The eggs were just pushed out of the way. I'm left wondering how it was supposed to be eaten. On plan for the day anyway, CREDIT moi. Chicken breasts grilled on our new Weber propane grill were juicier than the way DW normally does them. The grill is a keeper.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at the "marital cooperation" required for some meal planning. When we were in California, we encountered fish being sold from a fishing boat at the pier. That just reeked of fresh. Turns out that the boat no longer went to sea; it was just a great place to sell fish.

CeeJay - Kudos for adding another reason to your Advantages List. Dropping sugar from your life sounds like a good change to shake thing up. Keep the faith - all efforts to stay the course are making you stronger.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Glad to hear that the back is on the way to recovery. Kudos for that much driving to get your organics for smoothies.

nationalparker – Continue to send supportive thoughts to all your family in Florida even as I cheer for your niece running the Boston Marathon today. I appreciate the deep feelings when it's not possible to solve your parents' eating. Kudos for "made smart choices despite wanting to eat more."

Readers -
Quote:

This week, you'll learn additional Cognitive Therapy techniques to greatly strengthen your resistance muscle and be better able to reject tempting food - even if it's right in front of you. If you struggle with dieting because of the characteristics I described in Chapter 3 (pages 33-43), you'll take big steps this week toward changing your mindset. You'll start to evolve from someone who struggles with dieting to someone who thinks like a thin person.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 140.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #172  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Toothbrush level

Today I am tackling Day 6 of Diet Fix which I believe is setting your "toothbrush level" of exercise. Since my "toothbrush levels" have recently quadrupled I need to be mindful as I make my decisions!

And for those of you who wished me well with MIL and MOTHER yesterday, thanks. It helped. All went smoothly. My mother was in an improved physical state. She had more energy and walked better but I discovered her second toe on one foot curved over top her big toe and it presses right down on the big toenail and geez it looks like it hurts a lot. She admitted it was sore. She NEVER talks about things hurting. The reason I saw this was the residence asked me to get her some thin socks as her feet are swelling a bit and the thick socks and her shoes are cutting off circulation. So MIL had socks to spare and I chose 5 pairs for my mom. She felt immediate relief when we changed them out. Anyway she ate well, we got along just fine and even though my mother was convinced we were going the wrong way and we were lost and we would never get her home again and when at the front door of her residence she insisted I was wrong and she didn't live there and I got her to trust me as we walked in and she was a little bit surer that maybe she lived there and as we rounded the corner and opened the door to her room she looked at me and said "how did you do that? How did you get me here?" I asked her quietly "you were really scared weren't you?" She said yes and clutched her gut. Like she was down deep scared. It tears me apart that level of fear. Makes me not want to take her out--like if she's feeling THAT is it a good thing? But, of course it is. Until she totally freaks out and I can't cope/deal with her I'll be taking her out, even if the trips away are under an hour. The whole process, while tiring, is worth it.

Anyway off to the guild to load/unload the kiln. I was scheduled to peacefully do it alone but H, who was supposed to have done it yesterday, is showing up to "help"me. She's not so much helping me as making sure her work gets into the kiln this time round. That's why she wanted to load the kiln on Sunday, when she was there but whatever happened and she was delayed. H is not a helpful person, not normally anyway. Oh well. Maybe she does want to help. I am so suspicious sometimes... Other things on the agenda: a return to decluttering and some editing of photos for art projects.

A good kind of day!

Bye for now.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #173  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hello Coaches,

Sadly, I was not OP today. Note to self: Do the thing that works; don't do the thing that does not work. Tomorrow I will be back OP. I did do my 5k though, so that's something. I was looking at my weight loss graph and there is a clear monthly pattern: weeks 1 and 2, lose 1-1.5 pounds; week 3, gain .5 pounds; week 4, 3.5-5.5 pound loss. The cycles repeats over and over. Good to know.

BBE: Enjoy your grill. Ouch for be mislead into a squandered eating opportunity.

Nationalparker: I never do this but...hugs.

Joy: Happy Easter to you as well. I hope you had a wonderful feast.

Ceejay: So sorry to hear about your rough patch. And you are absolutely right that getting up for the first time or the millionth is the most important thing.

Lexxiss: Super extra credit for your smoothie streak. Well done!

See you tomorrow, all.

Last edited by flnu; 04-21-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #174  
Green Tomatoes

I just wrote a plan so that I could write here: I have a plan for today.

Contemplating the good argument in The Diet Fix for enjoying food compared to another good argument in Never Say Diet by Chantel Hobbs that says "make food boring." Her point is that overeaters tend to make food our major entertainment when, really, there are more fulfilling (and less caloric) ways to entertain oneself. I realize that even though those seem like contradictory bits of advice, they are both true and helpful to me at different moments. Walt Whitman may be the most helpful here:

Quote:
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
WI: -0.1 kg, Exercise: +30 980/1500 minutes for April, Food: NAop, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 04-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #175  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

From Beck FB page:
Monday Motivation: Remember, you can’t change what has happened in the past, you can only control what happens in the future. Whether or not you got off track this weekend, you can start being on track RIGHT NOW and feel good about your eating all week long.

Hello Coaches,
Quick check in (personal's later) to say this weekend "worked" for me. With my hunger level and the holiday I decided to eat at maintenance calorie level for a few days. Using what I've learned from y'all about Diet Fix, food is also for celebrations and I feel good about my choice. I did maintain the same weight and I did enjoy the holiday without feeling deprived, though I'm still struggling with crazy hunger levels or could it just be constant cravings??? Don't know what is up with that. I think I'll do one more maintenance day today then back to weight loss levels tomorrow.

Wishing my buddies/coaches an OP and healthy week!

Last edited by AZtricia; 04-21-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #176  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Easter Brunch went very well. A sunny 75 degrees with eleven to thirty year olds laughing about not finding eggs. The Ukrainians were enthralled. They have been in the country a week. They do not hunt eggs there. They smash two hard boil eggs together and whichever egg sustains the least damage proves luck for the owner for the year. They were impressed with our life - the land, the produce ( they told us the 15 orange trees would make us rich in the Ukraine), the freedom. I have to remember I am wealthy in the eyes of the rest of the world. Credit for embracing change and being rewarded by a new perspective. DS loved talking to them and played his violin for all. I was filled up with life's abundance and didn't need to use food as a solution.

Tracked/planned food today, sat while eating, and weighed three pounds from ticker.

Lexxiss: Remind me again what you put in your smoothies.

CeeJay: I am so sorry to hear your frustration with food. I have been there a million times before. When modifying my food seems completely out of control, I go back to the first two weeks of Beck and just work on behavior. It really isn't about what I binge on, it is the behavior around it. When I modify that, I eventually stop the binging.

AZTricia: Congrats on on a successful holiday and onebyone for weekend visiting.

GosfordGirl: Interesting info on the theory about how you "feel" about what you eat actually affects the body physically. I have to ponder. I also understand gardenerjoy's "Make food boring." When I get off sugar I tell myself "You have used up all your E-Tickets for food pleasure. Food is just fuel now."

flnu: Super congrats on the 5k.

Last edited by maryann; 04-21-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #177  

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

Monday.

OP throughout the weekend. Huge, eventful weekend, I might add. None of the treats available even looked worth it to me so I watched my son enjoy his Big Day. Even under on calories Sunday.

I've planned out an addition of "real" exercise to my week. Until I see myself at least have one successful week at it, I'll wait to say more. Could be a bust, but DH is on board with helping me carve out the time.

OP today and best vibes to all!

Last edited by 6crowsgold; 04-21-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:33 PM   #178  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I'm weary of writing "tough day" and I know you're weary of reading it. I am hoping that my father can turn a corner here soon. Long day. Long days and short nights lately.

Niece did well in the marathon, improved her time from last year, and was excited to call and let us know how she did. She'll be able to vist them next week, so that's good.

Bill - thank you for cheering her on! She's been looking forward to this for a long while. An ultra runner, she does 100 mile runs, etc. Who DOES that, I think?

Food was okay today - not the most nutritious, but not a lot of food, either. I'll be heading back home on Friday evening and it'll be hard to leave. Sister comes in the day I leave, and then I'll return in a few weeks. THankful that DH is understanding and urging me to spend the time I can. Also thankful that work is understanding. I have had a hard time at work the past couple of years and think this is the payoff - the trust in me on their end, and concern for my family.

Maryann - loved your full day - full of so much to be thankful for. Thank you for posting.

flunu - LOVE "do the thing that works." Simple is best and I needed that reminder. Thank you for your concern, as well. I sabotage myself too often, and need to just follow your advice.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:01 AM   #179  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Hi Becksters

I didn't make it online last night as it got so late. Sometimes it gets difficult to know what to cover - I have been immersed in thinking about food and diets and weight the last few days and it is a complex area as you are all discussing. I made a large batch of water kefir and a new batch of sauerkraut on Monday (yesterday) so now have to wait 10 days for it to ferment and about 6-8 weeks for it to cure. But I am feeling more positive about this batch. I finished the Diet Fix up to the end of Day 1 - and given I have been "doing" Beck that was fine - I am moving on to Day 2 tomorrow. I agree with Gardenerjoy and Onebyone that there are some foods that cause problems and might lead to problematic or "binge" eating. Today I went out for breakfast with a friend and had something on toast. I don't usually eat wheat or too many carbs and there is a real temptation to continue in that vein for the day. I was going to buy a toasted sandwich for lunch - something I would never do as it causes GIT problems. So while I acknowledge the premise in DF that one should be able to eat anything there are definitely some things that trigger problems. I am looking forward to reaching those sections

I do like the fact that he (Yoni Freedhoff) is a food activist. The various food companies and government agencies have a lot to answer for and he puts pressure on them which I enjoy and support. I am waiting to see what else I could embrace.

I need to finish cooking dinner and move on coaches - take care

Debbie (Lexxiss) - glad your back is recovered and credit for making the extra effort to get your organic veggies for your smoothy

CeeJay - I am sorry you are feeling miserable about your food for the past week. It is no easy or straight forward matter. Sending you strength to regroup and get back at it! I find restaurants a total challenge so your business trips would be my worst nightmares. Credit for usually having a plan for these trips. Not eating sugar and staying out of restaurants sounds like a plan so credit!

Onebyone - It seems like the lunch with the two mothers was a success so I am really happy for you. Glad to be joining you all on the Diet Fix - it will be interesting to see how/whether it adds value to Beck for my style of dieting

Tricia (AZtricia) - Thanks for the Beck FB quotes - it has been a while since I have gone there regularly. Credit for making a decision about maintenance calorie levels to meet your holiday weekend needs. Awful when the hunger hits so sympathies

Maryann - thanks for your message of gratitude - there is much to be thankful for

Nationalparker - Sorry that all your days at the moment are tough. Hope you get some rest soon. You are doing well to be more-or-less on plan - don't stress - you have a lot to deal with. I am sorry that you all have to deal with mucositis - not easy
Old 04-22-2014, 05:05 AM   #180  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Earth Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – 'Twas a most normal day. CREDIT moi since normal is better than the bad alternatives. Normal walking, CREDIT moi. Celebrated with all of Boston that the Boston Marathon went off without a hitch. The whole town collectively held its breath.

Ate on plan, CREDIT moi, without unusual temptations. Dinner was DW's lentil specialty so that meant I was vegetarian for the day. I continue to make myself a large salad for dinner - about twice the size that DW eats. That works for me, perhaps because it delays finishing dinner until more satiety settles in. We always eat salad after dinner. According to this site it's more common in America to eat salad before dinner. Does everybody else have theirs before?

onebyone – It's a bit freighting to realize the fear that comes with loss of control of our lives. A friend had to move to a new condo with his partner who had dementia; it was tough on the partner who had diminished ability to absorb new stuff. I wish you well in your continued thoughtfulness working with your mother.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for using reporting to your Diet Coaches to tease yourself into writing a plan for the day. Thanks for Walt Whitman's permission to contradict myself. Think I'll memorize that for the next time my kids call me on it.

maryann - Love the thought of your DS learning to bash hard boiled eggs together. Kudos for opening your life to those four Ukrainian visitors. Such a happy thought, "I was filled up with life's abundance and didn't need to use food as a solution."

nationalparker – My take is that this is just the place for you to write "tough day" every day when it is. It's real-life friends who might get embarrassed hearing it. Congrats to your niece for finishing the Boston Marathon.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Enjoying "the holiday without feeling deprived" seems like a big success to me; Kudos.

flnu - Just what I needed today, "Do the thing that works; don't do the thing that does not work." I like the absurdly simple. Congrats on your 5K. When you get back to the States will you be doing the Boston Marathon?

6crowsgold - Yay for a full week of planned exercise.

Readers -
Quote:
...........Give yourself credit and
build your confidence
that this time
.............you can succeed.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 141.
Closed Thread