3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Beck Diet Solution

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2014 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #106
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 179/163/150

Height: 5-4

Hello, all! Ate my largest meal today at lunch and, while I didn't leave half of the lunch portion, I skipped the tortillas and left some of the meal. It was mexican and held myself to only eight chips/salsa. I'm taking credits for acknowledging it was a decent-size meal and going light for dinner. Credit, too, for committing to only hot tea this evening now that I want to graze in the kitchen.

News from my Dad's appt was that it is lung cancer and not curable but they'll work to treat it and he has more scans coming up to check for brain lesions and try to figure out what the stomach issue might be. I spoke with him tonight. He's lost 20 pounds in one month. I stay very positive on the phone, then hang up and cry. My eating food will not heal my father nor help take care of my mother. I suggested he try those Carnation shakes me makes for my mom with ice cream as her dr. suggested to give her more calories ... he laughed and said, well they do smell pretty good. I hope he does.

OneByOne - you have explained the situation with your mom's care so well - I would really be in a quandary over which one is better - the more caring or less institutional facility. It had me thinking of which one I'd want. What a mental challenge.

AZTricia - I admire your resolve - I could never skip a pizza night. I think we get it too rarely but that might just be me. ha ha

Bill - Your reception sounds wonderful - I love your descriptors. Many credits abound - way more than you claimed. Keep that dang winter coat out - I'm sure our snow is heading your way.

I appreciate your patience with my moping/worried notes. DH is working nights and just isn't remembering what days what test results are coming back for for pet/Dad. I get a bit miffed when he doesn't ASK about the results and then have to realize that he's having a hard work week and we're only seeing each other for about 10 minutes/day.

169.4 today - thankful to see it drop back below 170. That makes me feel as if it IS possible.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #107

S/C/G: 173/ 158/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

I am catching up on posts. Very busy day at work. It was career day at my middle school. Our counselors did a terrific job getting nearly fifty community members to come and share their professions. There were firetrucks, corvettes, walnut shakers and paramedics on the black top. The best moment of the day for me (stationed at the John Deere Giant Tractor) was when the little boy Jose from our special day class bravely climbed up into the seat. He has Downs syndrome. He climbed the ladder, sat down, and took the steering wheel. A smile that could light the entire world (or at least my entire world) bloomed on his face.

There are moments that burst my heart - sheer bittersweet beauty which surfaces at the most surprising moments. How I hope I will never stop being present to catch them. And so I post here because I never wish to allow food the starring role in my life. Food is only the fuel. I must respect it. I cannot worship it.

Food in MyFitPal for two days. Scale down two pounds. I sigh a little relief.

Lexxiss: I agree that my mind is not always a trustworthy ally. Better I keep to MFP

onebyone: Credit for your courage in doing the right thing for your mother - for walking with her in her journey.

AZtricia: My son is a "normie" eater. He will say he'll tackle a huge portion like a gallon of ice cream but actually stops when he is full. This is a very useful skill and an important one to allow him to develop.

ladym0208: How exciting to be going to the city!

GosfordGirl: i actually went to my Dr who gave me some similar homeopathic suggestions. I am trying them out and hopeful they will work. These pills are heavy in Vitamin B, something called Rhodia (?) magnesium and C.

BBE: A two-byte dessert is a two week weight gain I fear.

6crowsgold: Welcome! I am moving away from "fuzzy" reporting this week and will try to stick with weighing and measuring this week.

nationalparker: So sorry about your father. I would have cried and cried too when I got off the phone.

Last edited by maryann : 03-12-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #108
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 179/163/150

Height: 5-4

Thank you for that wonderful image before I hit the sack, Maryann! Credit for those lines that food shouldn't be the center stage in our lives and your desire to not lose sight of what IS important. Much appreciated.

Got through the evening without snacking, while enjoying a bubble bath and a nonsense magazine ... and a hot cup of tea. Credits for this regardless of what the scale reads tomorrow. Am I the only one for whom evening snacking is a major hurdle when alone now? Ack!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:54 PM   #109
move

S/C/G: 291/277.1/269

Height: 5' 6"

nationalparker Very very sorry to hear the news from your father's medical tests. Sorry for your whole family. I can imagine the shock of it all. I wish you and your family strength moving forward.Please continue to check in and share whatever is needed...
Old 03-13-2014, 05:05 AM   #110

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Thursday evening

Good afternoon coaches

I am checking in early as I want to spend time later on food planning and exercise planning and all that. Spent the day at the desk except for a long walk with dogs at lunch time and taking the dogs to the vet this evening. They love going to the vet (where they get injections and other horrible things) - very strange little beasties

Credits for today:
Back on plan today - tracking and planning food;
Posting to list;
Thinking about shopping list for next week;
Buying food for weekend to make on-plan meals for a few days:
Having a plan for the day;
Drinking cold soda water with ice in an insulated drinking bottle to satisfy my cravings

BillBE - LOL at "make it tiny or get your own" from DW - she's been there and done that. You exerted enormous resistance to only overeat a little in the midst of all that

Gardenerjoy - feeling for you with your allergies

Onebyone - Soothing thoughts while you confront the health care system to get answers about your mother

6crowsgold - welcome - I look forward to hearing about your progress and goals

(AZ)Tricia - your life seems pretty scheduled with all those commitments - you do well to make good choices with food.

Nationalparker - So sorry to hear about your father. Let's hope he takes your advice for ensuring he stays well-nourished. Credit for "My eating food will not heal my father nor help take care of my mother". Credit for readjusting your plan to make up for slips - and counting corn chips! Sounds like hot tea is a good strategy. (I have replaced it with iced soda water - more compatible with our Indian Summer but gives me something to sip)

Maryann - Yay for scale down 2 pounds - obviously what you have been doing is working. Your story made me light up - and think about the centrality of food and whether that is a good thing. (Rhodiola? Siberian high altitude plant that increases longevity, improve mood and alleviate depression, and who knows what else! Sounds interesting)

Have a good day coaches

Short Term Goal

Old 03-13-2014, 06:34 AM   #111

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome 6crowsgold

6crowsgold

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you find our about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years and 1 month
Old 03-13-2014, 06:38 AM   #112

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Delivered our tax info to the accountant - CREDIT moi for doing what had to be done. I had to get up at 2am to get it all assembled, so a nap to finish my nights sleep was needed later. One great appeal of heaven is that surely there are no tax forms to fill out. I don't mind paying taxes, it's the d*rn forms that drive me bonkers.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Dinner was a bowl of udon noodles with beef and veggies at a Japanese restaurant. The bowl is so big, but it's easy to consume the whole thing. I expected that salt to add two pounds to the scale this morning, but it didn't. Snacks were on plan, CREDIT moi, with my afternoon snack being a single small bite of DW's granola bar made with cricket flour. A sustainable planet will require more of our protein to come from insects; this is a good start, but a granola bar is still a candy bar - not a useful part of my eating plan. I couldn't tell that I was eating crickets although I tried to imagine it at every crunch, but that was almonds.

onebyone – LOL at "snowstorm-last one?" Are you new to Canada? Good that your sister will play the 'bad guy' with the staff at your mother's home so that you can play 'good guy' later as necessary. Continue to send supportive thoughts.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for reasonable plans.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Kudos for devising specific strategies that work, "Drinking cold soda water with ice in an insulated drinking bottle to satisfy my cravings."

maryann - Thanks for the beautiful image of that kid in the Giant John Deere. Now I want to see a walnut shaker - OK, thanks google. [My thought exactly, "A two-byte dessert is a two week weight gain I fear."]

nationalparker – Kudos for continuing to be there for your parents even as you have your own pain to deal with. Sending supportive thoughts as you continue to process the results of his tests and ponder how you can help them both.

Tricia (AZtricia) - That's a lot of exercise - Kudos. Hats off for your ability to consider avoiding the pizza when the whole swim team is indulging at your table. I've been through the dyslexia diagnosis. Our experience was that a period of one-on-one tutoring changed our DD's life; she learned the strategies that allowed her to conquer the written page.

6crowsgold - Neat that you've found this forum when you need a Diet Coach (or Buddy if you're reading the green book). We serve as Coach to each other and invite you to serve as Coach and be coached by all of us. Kudos for having your Eating Plan in place (calorie counting) and for moving forward. I join you in that "think fuzzy" bit if it isn't written down. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
day 13 Overcome Cravings

Anti-Craving Strategies
Mindset Techniques
You can take a number of steps to respond to your next craving. The first five steps help you prepare your mindset, and you should use the following every time you have a craving:

1. Label it. Tell yourself, This feeling is just a craving . . . It's uncomfortable and intense, but (like hunger) it's not an emergency.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 130.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years and 1 month

Last edited by BillBlueEyes : 03-14-2014 at 07:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #113

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning to the Coaching Staff!

I may have finally found a calorie recording device that works for me. I've tried all sorts of ways but this week is a field trial of a sprial bound booklet of 3"x5" Index cards, NEONcolored, and a 3 inch mini-pen clipped inside the big wire binding.

Compact, sturdy, handy. Bright enough to find in my purse or on my desk when I start going "fuzzy" on the calorie count.

I feel alarmingly satisfied on 1250 calories a day, but can go no lower. Hoping for some kind of change at weigh in.

Best wishes for a Good Day to all!

Last edited by 6crowsgold : 03-13-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #114
Green Tomatoes

S/C/G: 241/188/183

I super-sized a snack yesterday. Mostly it was a procrastination ploy. That's always a tough one for me. I don't want to procrastinate. But I don't want, even more, to overeat. Sometimes, I need to consciously allow myself to procrastinate or I end up unconsciously allowing myself to overeat.

80%OP or better streak: 12
3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 38 Credit!
WI: +0.55kg, Exercise: +60 700/1500 minutes for March, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, 6crowsgold!

nationalparker: that's not good news, but at least it's news. So sorry. It sounds like there's a path for moving forward. Good for you for recognizing that overeating won't help and hot tea might.

Project: back to goal, 5 pounds at a time
My goal story: Fifty and feeling fabulous!
Visit Joy's Book Blog -- I review cookbooks and diet books most Saturdays!

Last edited by gardenerjoy : 03-13-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:20 PM   #115
move

S/C/G: 291/277.1/269

Height: 5' 6"

Post gave myself permission to overeat today

Coaches

I did not plan my food for the relief of my sister's visit ending and the intense feelings that that always generates. She left this morning and I didn't eat a thing until she left and then after she was en route (she called) I celebrated with food. I ate one thing, then when I knew I should stop, I cooked up another thing I have been wanting to eat all week but held off on and then I made stew, which I kept sampling, then I asked for bread, which I never ask for and DH brought that home and I had a big dinner with 2nds. I was (ouch) 2000 calories over my target according to fitbit. But still ok overall for the week. *credit for not eating sugar (since feb 17) and credit for cooking from scratch and checking in. I have not processed my mother's need for a long term care facility. I get stuck imagining her there. Can't seem to get past that right now. I have an art submission deadline for the 15th, via email, and tried to get it done today but couldn't. My phone reminded me we have tickets to see American Idiot tomorrow night (the musical) downtown, my first ever musical live theatre event. Tonight I can't imagine going but go we will and fun I will have. I need to get that submission in tomorrow though.

Ok off to bed now.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:21 AM   #116
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello coaches,

Well, I ended up having pizza with the boys. My car would not start and I had to jump it and replace the battery (they last less than 3 years here) so I decided not to add the stress of planning and packing a seperate meal. I still stayed within my calorie limit, so OP even with pizza.

Today was OP for food and exercise, but I'm hungry...which is annoying. I've already had an extra tea, cinnamon apple, which usually makes the feeling go away. Oh, well it is bed time soon and I won't notice it while sleeping!

nationalparker Kudos for skipping tortillas and not grazing. I am glad you finally have some news about your dad, but sad to hear they don't think it is curable and that he is having other issues as well. Sending sympathy your way and wishes for helpful diagnoses and treatments for your dad as well as strength for you. Awesome job for choosing bubble bath and tea over snacking!

maryann Sounds like there was a great career day, hurray for Jose's joy! Kudos for recording your food and -2lbs! Thanks for your advice about the skill kiddos need to learn, great thought.

Cheryl/GosfordGirl LOL about the dogs enjoying the vet, we had one that way in the past. His joy of greeting people and going places exceeded any pain. Kudos for back on track & planning.

BillBlueEyes Taxes are painful, they were the worst when dh worked for a mequiladora and very complicated. So glad his income is all in the USA now. Hopefully you'll get better rest now that the package is delivered. WHAT --cricket flour???? Just ewww! Sustainable or not, don't think I could do it.

6crowsgold Hurray for finding a solution for recording.

gardenerjoy Kudos for your continuing streak and for knowing youself and meeting your needs so that you have less temptation to overeat.

onebyone Hope you enjoy your musical and that you can get back OP now that the stress of your sister's visit is done. Kudos for cooking.

Last edited by AZtricia : 03-14-2014 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:32 AM   #117

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Tgif

Hi Coaches

I ended up eating more that I planned of what I planned last night. Today I had planned meals but I didn't get to have lunch before I saw the (new) acupuncturist and ended up eating lunch at 3.15pm - and ate fries I may have planned but didn't need. Now I am not hungry for the evening meal. I think I like this guy [it is not the really expensive one but another who might get my Qi moving ]

I read today:
"As for guilt/shame, I feel them whenever I act (eat) in a way that is not consistent with my identity as a person. Goals may come and go, so I don’t use goals as a motivator, but identity is a constant. Along this line, I know we all have the freedom of choice, but for me, I choose to live as though I have ‘no choices,’ meaning my identity determines actions, and decisions almost make themselves."

This resonated because goals don't really motivated me but maybe I need to create a different identity that doesn't allow room for the choices that don't help and lead to a NO CHOICE response

AND

"If we don’t identify ourselves as athletic, how likely is it that we’ll pursue athletic abilities on any level? If we accept that we’re sickly, how likely is it that we’ll ever believe we can truly thrive? If we believe that we don’t have much self-discipline, in how many areas of our lives will this “truth” play out?"
[http://www.marksdailyapple.com/harne...ixzz2vvIwW81V]

This made me think that I have maybe taken on a "sickly" identity and haven't allowed myself to thrive. Since I 'survived' cancer 4 years ago a lot of things have gone wrong and now I think they can go right. Now I have to choose to thrive and adopt a thin and thriving identity which will shape the congruence of my behaviour. Other than that I am not sure what I will make of these thoughts but they seem important and on song with Beck

BillBE - Credit for trying crickets - very responsible and certainly in the "rare and unusual" category. Lots of brownie points for getting up at 2am to do taxes - huge!

6crowgold - Great plan to use index cards. Great triumph that the diet you have chosen is satisfying.

Gardenerjoy - Good observation - just eating it is easier than deciding whether you should - but not the best option

Onebyone - Ouch for celebration eating but you have great insight about it. Sending thoughts that you survive and thrive through the deadline

(AZ)Tricia - Credit for staying OP with pizza. Sympathy for being hungry - totally get it. Bed is a good place to avoid cravings!

Short Term Goal

Old 03-14-2014, 08:08 AM   #118

Thumbs up Friday - National Pi Day (3.14)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, my usual on the new snow (less than an inch) and before the minor rain. It was bitter cold - and got colder last night. Methinks I'm still recovering from Daylight Savings Time switch over - without good reason that I can figure out.

Yet another evening where I planned to make dinner out of a reception of appetizers. CREDIT moi for choosing modest portions of grilled veggies and one beef on a slice of baguette - that was all. I ignored the platters of breads and cheeses. It was an under-plan caloric evening, but being busy helped. I'll be out of town this weekend so won't post again until Monday. Have a good weekend guys.

onebyone – Couldn't but wonder why a Canadian would want to see an American Idiot, LOL. It looks fun - wish I'd known to see it when it was in Boston last month. Hope you enjoy it tonight. Kudos for recognizing that the feelings are associated with your sister's leaving so you have some clue how to go about processing them and getting back on track.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Interesting to link procrastination with over eating. When I'm avoiding something, this giant Sabotaging Thought arrives that a handful of comfort popped in my mouth will make the discomfort go away.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Kudos for identifying that you might have adopted an identity that allows, "haven't allowed myself to thrive," and now choose "a thin and thriving identity." Congrats for being a cancer survivor. And thanks for using 'congruence' - I love that word.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Kudos for deploying cinnamon apple tea to combat hunger feelings. LOL that going to bed solves the problem. Ouch for the battery failure - three years is a shorter than the five we get around here despite the cold winters.

6crowsgold - It's terrific that you "feel alarmingly satisfied on 1250 calories a day" - many folks can only imagine eating at that low level. I believe the medical advice that one should only go below 1200 under a professional's supervision as a minimum nutrition level. Kudos for implementing a cheerful calorie counting system that works for you.

Readers -
Quote:
day 13 Overcome Cravings

Anti-Craving Strategies
Mindset Techniques
You can take a number of steps to respond to your next craving. The first five steps help you prepare you mindset, and you should use the following every time you have a craving:

2. Stand firm. Tell yourself that you're absolutely not going to eat the food that you're craving. Remind yourself that you truly don't want to strengthen your giving-in muscle and weaken your resistance muscle. Ask yourself whether giving in to this craving will be worth the momentary pleasure you'll get from eating. Think about how giving in can undermine your confidence.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 130.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #119

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

Check In--Good Morning to everybody!

Fell asleep before I could get all my calories in. This is unheard of, but maybe the effects of staying meticulously hydrated throughout the day?

The notebook is working well. Looking forward to tomorrow's weigh-in.

Hoping everyone has a great day!
Old 03-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #120
Funky

S/C/G: 238/223.5/200

Height: 5'3"

It's my birthday and the desserts keep coming. This too shall pass.

I am giving up on weight goals for a while and I am going to focus on exercise goals instead. The weight goals are not coming through and I have to have some success somewhere.
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.