Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 11:02 PM   #76  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello again ... wanted to check in this evening. Day has been okay...could bave been better (with more veggies and water) but it could have been much worse. Called my mom tonight before this check in. That way I dont eat afterward from thinking that will comfort me. The hot cups of tea when tempted to snack was a good solution.

Tomorrow will be a busy, long work day. Need to pack a healthy lunch. Made a few meals for options this week.

Preordered The Book Thief to be sent to my sister when it's released.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:03 PM   #77  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post quick checkin again

Hi Coaches:

Ok so I did not have any sugar today. Specifically: no treats at the coffee shop, no treats in the car while driving with my mom, no treats in the home where my mom has a bistro with sugary goodies on display for the taking and a specialy coffee machine that makes special coffees with sugar included, and finally no sugar in the form of an ice cream treat after dinner where both DH and Sis had some and I stayed away by staying in the car so I wouldn't be tempted. *PHEW* My weight hovers at 266 over the last 3 days. Today 266.9. Yesterday 266.3. The day before 266.9. I haven't been overeating so eventually it will fall but I haven't seen that 263 again. I haven't even seen 264 or 5. OH well. Not expecting much change until after my sister goes truth be told.

So today the weekend day nurse stopped me in the hall to tell me something else urgent about my mother and I wonder how long has this been urgent? As in, why am I hearing about it only now? I also hear that my mum is very agitated at night and will wander into other people's rooms and she tries to leave all the time. Hmmm. I'm not happy to hear any of this but there is no denying her physical changes or her energy levels have fallen or her emotional state is more fragile. Long term care is in her very near future.
I am trying to imagine her in a place with less privacy-like sharing a room (she has a room with a door and it's all hers right now. This is something I can't picture but I think it may not be so bad as she so hates to be alone. Hard to think it through.

So, more of this tomorrow and the next two days after that and then it lets up[. I am doing fine. I HAVE NOT USED FOOD TO COPE. *massive credit*

Have a good night.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:43 AM   #78  

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was a good OP day for me. The issues with the cook seem to have settled a little I guess I needed to look at myself and how I responded to her as well. Even though I am still not eating as much as she would like I think we have come to a bit of an understanding now.

My credits for yesterday

- Refusing a lift home from church so that I could get an additional walk in
- Asking specifically for what I wanted for dinner so that I could stay within my plan
- Delivering the sermon at church (not diet related I know)

onebyone Well done for not using food to cope during your difficult times
nationalparker Well done for checking in here instead of comfort eating
Lexxiss Well done for getting that ladder into the car, spontaneous exercise!!
gardenerjoy Hope you enjoyed your bridal shower and stuck to your plan
CeeJay Yaay for your OP day, wishing you many more
tresor Welcome back
nationalparker I hope everything went according to plan
BillBlueEyes Well done for trying that new gym class

Have a good day xx
Old 03-10-2014, 04:59 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Hi coaches

A quick check in as, if I don't do it now, it won't happen. Lunch was a disaster as I hadn't thought through the new guidelines. Credit that I left half of it as it just seemed wrong and too much (roasted chicken thighs [2] and a pile of fried rice). I need to rethink the diet - I can't eat that many carbs. Muscles tired and happily sore today so gym was a success - plan to go on Tuesday (tomorrow) night. Credit as walked about 9,500 steps today - courtesy of pacing in front of a class and walking to and from the car park. Credit for checking in.

It is late and I need to get settled - I am over summer and the next week will be around 30 (82 - 90) and really humid. I am sick of the day going on forever (8pm) and it being dark at 7 am, worse given I get up at 5am - they leave summertime go for too long. It won't change until 5th April - too long! Enough whining - accept what I can't change! I am looking for food tonight so need to close the kitchen or go to bed

I will continue with trying to get my diet right and logging food and trying to make things happen with weight loss but I am a bit over it as well
Old 03-10-2014, 06:06 AM   #80  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was on-plan including only the evening snack, CREDIT moi. The only challenge was a pot-luck lunch that's always a temptation for me to over-indulge by trying to have one-of-each instead of accepting the variety as an opportunity to make a choice. My plate actually looked sparse - quite appropriate for a mid-day meal when my large meal is usually dinner.

Standard Sunday walking was my exercise, CREDIT moi. It was warm enough to have to step over puddles of melting snow. DW pointed out a tree budding as if it believed that spring was coming. I gotta admire trees that bud when I'm still wearing a winter coat.

Kathy (tresor) - Good Grief, Kathy, you were the second poster on the very day that the first Beck thread was created on May 10, 2007. You're always welcome here - we need all the experienced hands we can get. Yep, this is the place to be accountable. I made my own (highly personalized) forms in Excel spreadsheets so I could easily enter the data. The typing was a strategy to get vested.

onebyone – Yep, massive Kudos for "I HAVE NOT USED FOOD TO COPE." At my MIL's assisted living place there used to be a FREE soft ice-cream machine. It drove me nuts - since it was always a bit of a stress to be visiting there and the ice-cream seemed to offer solace.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at “dainty servings” - such a good way to remember that portion control is all you've got when someone else controls the menu.

CeeJay - Kudos for a good day and Kudos for planing that the next will be also.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – LOL at "National Meatball Day" - you got me drooling right there. I finally bought myself a telescoping ladder. It's fun just for its geekiness but surprisingly practical to take somewhere.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Yay for pacing if that gets you to 9500 steps. (I happen to think better when I'm moving.) Ouch for a lunch that feels out of bounds with Kudos for recognizing it for what it was.

ladym0208 – Good to hear that you and the cook are making peace with each other. Even though Beck doesn't have a chapter about delivering a sermon, it's a Kudos worthy event.

nationalparker – Super Cognitive Therapy strategy to have a cup of tea when the snackies strike. (If P. L. Travers says that milk goes first, then it just does.) Kudos for that Goodwill run of cleaned out stuff. (Remembering to add The Book Thief to my movie list.)

Readers -
Quote:
day 13 Overcome Cravings

How to Measure Your Cravings

Your next craving might surface today, tomorrow, or as long as a few weeks from now. When it does, I'd like you to fill out My Cravings Rating Chart on the facing page with the following information:
  • How long your craving lasts
  • How uncomfortable it is on the discomfort scale (0-10)
  • Which anti-craving techniques you used
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 128.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 03-10-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #81  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up and on March 10th I,

Hello Coaches

My sister stayed over last night. She's still sleeping. I just made DH some breakfast. He has the Caesar Cat snoozing on his lap. I just ate a crumpet with unsweetened applesauce on it. All in all a pleasant start to the day.

My weight is not budging from 266. Up or down a few 10ths of a lb the last 5 days. Grateful I am not gaining. I'm tentatively planning to get to the gym today and on Wednesday. I have a 5 day pass for my sister, who brought her workout clothes with her. We need to get there. I am anticipating a tough day today dealing with the managers at the place my mom lives. My sister has some questions for the staff and they want to talk to her. She has power of attorney and so she gets all the hard stuff but I am there for support and for input as well. Now my primary task wil be to not eat over this, or over whatever comes of the meetings, or afterwards when I am calm and at home muling things over. With my weight not budging, but higher than I want, this is the perfect sabotage scenario for me..."what does it matter? My weight isn't coming off anyway...etc." I'm not going there today. I commit to remaining sugar free today (streak at 21 days today -- doesn't that = a habit now? doing something for 21 days?) and I commit to trying to get to the gym if at all possible this evening.

Have a good Monday everyone.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #82  
Green Tomatoes

Between losing an hour and a social event in the middle of the day, I never achieved my normal Sunday vibe, something that sets the tone for the whole week. The bridal shower was fun and fine, but I wanted to overeat when I got home. The only reason I didn't was because I didn't want to break my streak. I stopped myself at the point where any more food would bring my day’s score below 80%.

I learned something odd this morning. I was surprised that the scale had its normal small fluctuation. Some part of me expected a big jump because I desired to overeat yesterday, even though I didn’t. No wonder I struggle sometimes if I’m not distinguishing between desire to overeat and actual overeating. The desire to overeat is uncomfortable but it does not cause weight gain. Thinking that it does is a sabotaging thought.

80%OP or better streak: 9
3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 35 Credit!
WI: +0.1kg, Exercise: +60 530/1500 minutes for March, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: thinking of you and your sister at this tough time. Good for you for working on this problem now and for not using food as a coping device.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches!

I can't believe the weekend is gone already. I keep getting distracted by little, mindless "work" related tasks that I really should not be doing. I am reaching the point of anxious energy and really need to get it under control if I am going to try to meet my major deadlines coming up. In the past I've thrown in the towel and pushed them back another 4 months. So, I'm in need of supportive thoughts that I can get my energy/stress/relaxation under control without the abuse of food. I'm already noticing I'm either gnashing my teeth of wanting to bite on something to deal with it. I'll go stock up on sugar-free gum.

I had a few opportunities this weekend to go off plan, but chose to stick with my routine. Today, though, at a lunch meeting, I ate a normal portion of food, but it wasn't on my plan. Bummer. In the end, it wasn't all that satisfying. I'll try to keep that in mind for later. No real change in weight the past several days.

Hi to all and I hope you are doing well!

NationalParker, sending thoughts of comfort to you and your mom in this difficult time with your dad. I'm glad for you that your brother is in town at least. Great news that your pants size is down in spite of those pesky pounds you were concerned about a few days ago.

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 03-10-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #84  

Default Changed username

Hi All
I have changed my username and am now GosfordGirl - ridiculous name but no one else has it! I had to change for privacy reasons so won't put here what my maiden name was I am sure you can work it out from the avatar. Sorry if it creates any confusion
Old 03-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Just a quick check in. My really rotten day on Friday has turned into 3 days on plan. Feeling much better for sure.

Credits for today:
-eating healthy and on plan
-listening to motivational app 2 times today (thanks onebyone for the link)
-rode exercise bike
-did arm/shoulder exercises
-worked less than a full day today (after weeks of way too much overtime)
-got outside in the beautiful sunshine and walked around a bit
-planned tomorrow and packed lunch
-ate no sugar
-checked in with my coaches.

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #86  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Fly-by post tonight. Just now finishing work after a l-o-n-g day but did take a half-hour break to drive home and set up here before I kept going. Realized it will get done when it gets done, despite system shut-down this afternoon, etc. Food was OP today ... sleep is calling me. Hoping that darned scale drops a bit here soon. got in more fluids today, and will aim for that tomorrow.

I like your new username, Gosford Girl I feel a sense of lacking/failurefor not posting more personals when I enjoy reading everyone's notes to everyone so much. But I will take credit for checking in and just know that I will when the time is available.

The good news is my dad has acquiesced and is letting my brother's wife (a lifelong nurse in senior care/alzheimer's) join him for the dr. consultation on Wednesday. She's offered to go with him each step of the way and he's declined each time. This time he said he'd think about it and then said yes. I'm very thankful as she's forthright but not aggressive/nosy. She knows what to ask, etc.

Streak = 2

Last edited by nationalparker; 03-10-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:23 AM   #87  

Default Monday

Good morning coaches

Yesterday was an OK day for me I was 70% OP which I am happy with. I have had a lot of report writing to do so I have been fairly busy. The current team I am working with are preparing to return to the UK so I have had to look at the impact they have had since they have been here. It is amazing just how much you can miss when you are going about your day to day life, this of course made me realise just how important it is to stop and give yourself credit as often as you can. SO my credits for yesterday...

- Recognising my sabotaging thoughts around asking for what I want and responding to them
- As I was so busy yesterday I didn't get much of a change to go out and walk so in the evening I decided to to a walking workout video in addition to my morning workout

Have a lovely day xx
Old 03-11-2014, 05:05 AM   #88  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - Johnny Appleseed Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard walking, CREDIT moi, without the down vest inside my winter coat. Celebrate anything that makes it feel like winter is letting go. Two books arrived from Amazon - what more does one need in life. A friend convinced me that I need to buy The second machine age rather than wait for my turn from the library. So, as a reward for incrementing my monthly tickers today, I just ordered it. Apparently, I don't need much of an excuse to hit the old One Click.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including snacks. Two snacks skipped; a California Navel Orange served as evening snack. No temptations appeared in front of me outside of my own kitchen and pantry. Beck's notion of keeping the environment clean works for me. I like walking into my kitchen without seeing a tempting bowl of whatever. I shudder that DW used to keep a bowl of M&M's in the living room and I regularly snitched.

onebyone – It's a super big deal that you've gotten your place to the state that you can comfortably host your sister overnight. Honking Kudos. I wish you both well with your discussions with the staff at your mom's place.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Weird that the old brain expects the scale to respond to our mental deviations from plan. Similarly, I derive great pleasure when the scale jitters down after a minor eating resistance and suffer when it jitters up after a minor indulgence.

CeeJay - Converting a rotten Friday into three days on plan is worthy of Big Kudos. Loved this, "got outside in the beautiful sunshine and walked around a bit."

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – No confusion, those pups in your Avatar anchor you to your old posts.

FutureFitChick – Sending supportive thoughts as you face the crunch of your deadline so you don't have to slip four months. I so look forward to addressing you as Dr. FitChick.

ladym0208 – Interesting to be reminded how much we do that goes unnoticed unless we pause to give ourselves credit. Kudos for seeing that.

nationalparker – That's such good news that your SIL will be there to help your dad at his doctor's appointment. DW has even asked me to go in with her sometimes when she wanted someone less involved to take notes. Kudos for surviving your " l-o-n-g day" without using it as an excuse to indulge.

Readers -
Quote:
day 13 Overcome Cravings

How to Measure Your Cravings

When Francine, a dieter I counseled, filled out her Cravings Rating Chart, she discovered that her cravings weren't as painful as she had predicted. She also found that the sooner she convinced herself that she wasn't going to eat and got involved in other activities, the sooner the craving went away.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 128.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:46 AM   #89  

Hi coaches

Yesterday was a weird day with food as I am still adjusting my diet. I didn't snack or do anything awful but I kept rearranging my plan. I had a plan for dinner and I changed it because it ended up so late (on the phone to 3 different people) that I had an omelette instead of what I planned. Today has been on track and dinner worked. Went to gym so credit for exercise. I still haven't planned tomorrow - will do that in the morning as running late tonight

BillBE - Huge kudos for working the buffet table - I need to remember all the strategies I see here for the next time I confront finger food. Exercise sounds tricky - I am not brave enough to try the floor classes yet

Nationalparker - Good idea to commit to a goal for the day. You have so much to deal with at the moment and you are doing well to plan and stay on track. And I have taken your idea of a cup of tea when I have the need to forage. Credit for planning and managing painful situations. Thanks for liking my new username - you haven't got time to do what you need to let alone personals! I am happy that your dad is accepting help. Credit for going with the flow and realising it will finish when it is finished - hang in there

Tresor - I remember you and it is great to see you back. I am not sure about linkd and worksheets - there is a workbook with worksheets in it but not sure if there is anything downloadable. From my Google search they used to be available from the Beck Website as downloadable pdf files (good for those with a kindle version) but they are no longer available at the link everyone refers to. Unless someone here has downloaded them they are gone

CeeJay - credit for putting together a string of good days and for feeling good about it!

Gardenerjoy - I think 'dainty servings' as a plan does the job! Difficult to know what you would encounter. Credit for recognising a thought pattern that is not reality based - a desire to overeat that is resisted doesn't lead to weight gain - what a revelation

Debbie(Lexxiss) - life and food is sounding manageable at the moment

Onebyone - Credit for dealing with sabotaging thoughts. Hang in there - the weight will shift if you stay on plan (that's what I keep telling myself ). Yay for a streak of 21 days sugar free - that is progress

FutureFitChick - Credit for sticking with your timelines to get this finished! Don't get distracted by administrivia - hang in there. Gum as a distraction sounds like a good idea. Credit for staying on plan on the weekend - ouch for going off plan on Monday and not enjoying it!

Ladym0208 - Good list of credits - and great that you are giving yourself credit
Old 03-11-2014, 06:56 AM   #90  

Smile

I didn't make time to post yesterday but I did get to read your posts. Thanks for welcoming me back. I have the work sheets from the workbook so I will use those to make my own charts.

I know how Beck works and I know my weaknesses..........so I am going to concentrate on those areas.

Have a great day everyone and I hope to post more later in the day.

K
Closed Thread