Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #46  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up is ok.

Coaches

Quick check in tonight. *credit* for getting to the gym this morning even if my time there got cut short by a lunch with new friends. Lunch was easy: soup, salad, fruit. Then off to studio but I was late to get work going. Will have a big day there tomorrow. No decluttering/clean up at home today either. I did make a plan for what needs to be done so most of it will get done before my sister arrives. Her visit is stressing me out, but I'll enjoy her when she's here--in between being irritated! *credit* weighed 265.9 a 2lb gain overnight. Is ok.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:20 AM   #47  

Default Wednesday

Good morning Coaches,

Yesterday was a good OP day in terms of diet and exercise. I feel like I am in quite a good place at the moment as I am really feeling strong in being able to challenge my sabotaging thoughts. I guess that comes from the knowledge that I have a choice in every situation and what ever choice I make will either help or hinder my weight loss efforts. Sounds simple enough but I have often convinced myself that I don't have a choice that "being fat/ overweight is who I am". Even though I've lost over 50lbs in total this one still crops up every once in a while.

My credits...

- OP for food & exercise
- Leaving food on my plate at lunch and dinner as I was full
- Not eating past the point of fullness at lunch and dinner

onebyone Well done for the early gym session
maryann Happy that you are now able to wear clothes in a smaller size, it's a great feeling
FutureFitChick Well done for giving yourself NO CHOICE, it feels great when you are able to conquer those sabotaging thoughts...you deserve to be slim more than you deserve that food!!
AZtricia I am grateful for this experience as even though it is challenging it really is strengthening my resistance muscle. I am coming to the realisation that if I can face this everyday then when I get home my resistance will be strong. Thanks for the support
gardenerjoy I hope you get that break from the snow
Lexxiss I hope you get your paperwork done and enjoy your break
BillBlueEyes Well done for leaving the rice and for being on plan with your eating

Have a great day xx
Old 03-06-2014, 05:26 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Hi coaches

My hip is ok. Still painful but not broken or something horrible. I am in a transition phase. Not sure where I will end up. But I will go to PT tomorrow and have made a plan for food tomorrow to get me through. I am thinking of trying acupuncture for my hip and other hurting bits. And to kick start metabolism. Still deciding. Today just made steps but OP and thinking about options. It is now late so will check in tomorrow coaches
Old 03-06-2014, 06:12 AM   #49  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Survived an over scheduled day that included a precision rendezvous to pick up DW where she'd be waiting. All worked out. Exercise didn't happen until evening when I walked, CREDIT moi, to a friend's house and returned in the dark. There are houses with their Christmas lights still up and lit at night even as Lent is underway. Speculating on when they'll be taken down reminds me of maryblu predicting 'ice out.'

Eating on plan, CREDIT moi, with "sustainable Cod" for dinner using a new recipe from the Boston Globe with miso paste. Eating Cod makes me feel like old New England when the East Coast had abundant Cod. Doing no snacks was easy because I was busy. When I'm out for the evening I don't have fruit from my own fridge. I did sit through the evening with friends with snacks in front of us having nothing. Separate CREDIT moi for that since I had to pass the bowl of mixed nuts when it went around.

onebyone – A shortened gym is still gym. Kudos. Happy sister-eve day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Hope you got rid of that snow - may it be your last. Spring is coming.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for looking forward to pool time. You've earned a little relaxation.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Yay for the good news about your hip. Kudos for already having your food plan for tomorrow.

FutureFitChick – Ouch for the Sabotaging Thought, "something I 'deserved'.." I hate it when my entitled rears up.

maryann - Yep, Super Kudos for buying clothes that you love. [LOL at "See's candy is like Bamboo" - it's my fear that it'll start appearing in my face every day.]

ladym0208 – Such an insidious Sabotaging Thought, "being fat/ overweight is who I am" - Kudos for recognizing that it doesn't have to be you.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Happy Pizza Day. May you have little and enjoy it immensely.

Readers -
Quote:
day 13 Overcome Cravings

To get to that point, however, you first must learn how to respond to your cravings. This is actually simpler than many people realize. Cravings start to diminish the moment you decide you're absolutely not going to stray from your diet. They increase when you're indecisive about whether or not to eat.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 127.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #50  
Green Tomatoes

Our driveway is clear and I got out yesterday for milk and library books.

80%OP or better streak: 5
3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 31 Credit!
WI: +0.25kg, Exercise: +60 290/1500 minutes for March, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

seadwaters: I have a long-term fascination with acupuncture but haven't tried it. I'll be interested to see what you decide. I'm glad nothing is seriously wrong -- although that tends to be the point where we see the limits of Western medicine. It's good at fixing things, but we're kind of left on our own for long-term healing processes. I find the yoga moves classified as "hip openers" useful for hips, knees, and lower back. But I'm not sure I would do them in the midst of a flare-up.

BillBlueEyes: I like your old New England mixed with miso paste. A globe-trotting mash-up.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hello to all the Coaches,

I’m back from vacation and work travel, and looking forward to getting back to normal eating. I did ok but there was a lot more veering from too much to too little that kept me from do nothing but over-eating rather than something sensible. Eh. Weigh in tomorrow. I did keep my exercise streak up. Full disclosure: I counted 20 minutes of yoga as exercise on one day. I felt that it counted because I really really didn’t want to do anything but I did anyway. Credit.

I was reviewing my chosen diet (No S) and found this, which really resonates with me, so I thought I’d share:
Quote:
Don't look at your problem as being too heavy. Look at your problem as two behavioral problems 1) eating too much 2) moving too little. Both of these need to be solved.
BBE: Good job on passing up the snacks. For me, snacks = self-deception because it is impossible to psychologically notice them without a whole lot more math (calorie counting) than I am willing to do.

Seadwaters: Damn. So sorry to hear about your hip. That just sucks especially when you’re getting an exercise groove on. Regarding acupuncture – go for it!

Ladym0208: Keep feeling strong and challenging those thoughts. This
Quote:
I have a choice in every situation and what ever choice I make will either help or hinder my weight loss efforts.
is gold. Thank you for sharing.

Onebyone: High five for going to the gym and having such a nice lunch. I can also gain two pounds overnight. I truly do not understand that. Where can those two pounds possibly come when nothing is going in and everything is going out?

Maryann: Congrats on the beautiful new clothes.

FutureFitChick: Well done – no choice!

Tricia: That’s a great pic. Enjoy your exercise vid.

Joy: Sending warm thoughts your way.

Lexxiss: I just noticed that nice round number at the bottom of your ticker: 100 lbs. lost. My hat is off.

G’night all, and a happy and healthy day tomorrow.

Last edited by flnu; 03-07-2014 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Update ticker.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #52  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello Coaches,

I'm getting frustrated that I have not lost anything in over a week, but am hopeful as well as I should be nearing the end of the plateau if I follow the same pattern as last month. I did end up skipping pizza yesterday and had a nice low calorie day. Did my DVD yesterday and food and exercise OP so far for today.

FutureFitChick So glad to hear you had a good day!

maryann Your choice to stop when you are full is wise. 80% is positive progress! Hang in there through this stress.

onebyone Had to LOL about this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebyone View Post
... I'll enjoy her when she's here--in between being irritated! ....
my family is like that too. Great job on getting to the gym and keeping records of your health behaviors.

ladym0208
Kudos for your strong resistance muscle in fighting sabotaging thoughts!

seadwaters/Cheryl Awesome to hear nothing is broken, but it stinks that you are still in pain. You are a great example of keeping on, love seeing your stick to PT and plan.

BillBlueEyes LOL about the Christmas lights, who wants to get out in the cold there and take them down?!?! I have to say they are all gone here, but no one has any excuse and it never did "look like Christmas" like it still does there! Kudos for your continued snack resistance.

gardenerjoy
Hurray for library books, I was there too yesterday. Ds 8 yo is listening to the Inheritance Cycle on audiobook as it is way too long for him to read. He can never wait once his reserve has arrived!

flnu Welcome back, Kudos for your continued exercise streak. Eating too much and moving too little is a great summary and fits so well with Beck, great reminder!
Old 03-07-2014, 02:59 AM   #53  

Default Friday night

Coaches

Went to PT this am and with some adjustments all was well. Only when I walk too far (at the one time) does my hip complain too much now.

I am thinking about acupuncture because it can help with a range of issues including pain, appetite etc. I am trying to decide between two acupuncture therapists. One is your normal therapist with good credentials and I will need to lay out all the issues and see what he thinks. They all claim to be holistic etc but...I have a fairly jaded view of natural therapists so need to decide if I just want them to manage pain or, LOL, offer something more transformative. The other is the full deal - has had much publicity for slimming down a number of our politicians plus he is very discreet about other high flyers he treats. He also treated a woman from the dog park who lost 8kg in 2 weeks and proceeded then to lose a kg per week over 3 months. That was months ago and like the politician she has kept it off. He has a good track record with people with chronic illnesses and pain. But the whole treatment is about $5000. You go in daily for massage and acupunture and to pick up herbs for the week (you don't eat for the first 2 weeks except for his herbs). This is the supreme experiment in hunger is not an emergency. Apparently people don't get hungry on this. When I think I have spent about $15000 over the last few year being sick (and that is on top of good health insurance and social security) is it too much to spend on getting healthy - difficult. I think it is probably worth it but I don't have it really - it would be debt. So I am torn. Will talk to the woman from the park later tonight. I just think that my metabolism has taken such a beating that it needs to be kick started and this might do it - but might isn't good enough - I want guarantees!

Walked 7700 today and will do a bit more around the house; had 19 active minutes (high for me); did PT today and finished with 15 minutes on the bike with sprints (also high for me); packed and took a good lunch; dinner planned and in MFP.

BillBE - shame about the cold continuing. Credit for made-up errands and more walking with the bad guys persuing you. Love the story about pi which is inconveniently messy and the politicians attempt to clean it up! Liked the sound of your meal which could have been invented by a dietician

Tricia(fromAZ) - hope Pizza day went well. You do seem to plan your macronutrients well around a bout of pizza eating. PS - it is really easy to make your own delicious hummus - tastes at least as good as the Greek place's version. Mind you I don't have to homeschool a bunch of kids and probably have time for such things! Sounds like the dog recovered thankfully! Just read that you skipped pizza - hope you see a dip in the scales

FutureFitChick - glad you are feeling recovered and credit for using NO CHOICE to advantage

Maryann - I love to hear about clothes that are beautiful and fit and are small - credit to you for using this as a motivation to stay on track. Glad you are beating the sit while eating demon

Onebyone - credit for getting to the gym and doing what you needed to do

LadyM0208 - Yay for challenging sabotaging thoughts - and credit for taking your choice to be slim

GardenerJoy - Glad the weather let you get out and that your on plan streak is taking off. I have had acupuncture in the past and it was useless but that is because things had gone too far I think. Eastern medicine likes to be at the preventative end of things and at that stage it was way past that. So as you say I needed things to be fixed (surgically). Now I am hopeful it can step in and help with healing. Will let you know how it goes!

flnu - hope the work travel and vacation went well. I think the message from your diet resonates with me too. I am trying to get back into my exercise groove thanks - you make it sound good

So should I just pay for illness or invest in health? I know you can't help me decide but it is an interesting dilemma
Old 03-07-2014, 03:53 AM   #54  

Good morning coaches,

Quick check in for me today

My credits for yesterday:
- Creating a food plan and sticking with it
- Asking myself whether or not I needed the snack I had planned or if I could wait until my next meal. Usually I would have the snack as I had planned it whether or not I was hungry, yesterday I decided I could wait until my next meal.

Have a lovely Friday all xx
Old 03-07-2014, 06:23 AM   #55  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Gym, CREDIT moi, was a new class for me, Arms and Abs. I learned that I need some remedial work on my arms and on my abs both. Ouch! But I mostly kept up except for a few of the "raise your legs up to here" places. My legs didn't go all the way "up to here." Despite its inconvenient time slot, I may be able to get to this one. Walked in the evening with DW to hear some opera students in recital. Sheer joy. They included Gee, Officer Krupke! from Bernstein's West Side Story. Thought I'd split my side laughing at the kids' enthusiasm in an old saw.

Eating on plan, CREDIT moi, included Dahl for dinner. My key contribution was to ignore the broken corn chips and let them go to the worms in the compost bin. Seems odd, but in my past I've scooped all the crumbs onto my soup - getting the impact of the calories without the benefit of the fun chomping. I counted (thanks Joy (gardenerjoy)) the chips I had - thus reducing their number. No snacks - will take an additional CREDIT moi there.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Glad you were dug out enough to forage for life's necessities, "milk and library books."

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Yay for the hip not interfering. Wish I had wisdom to offer on your question to select acupuncture, but I'm from the far end of your "fairly jaded view." I wish you well in finding your path there.

ladym0208 – Skipping a snack is Kudos worthy - from the guy who's working that very issue at the moment.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Kudos for a low calorie day. Your scale will notice in its own good time.

flnu - Double Kudos for Yoga when you didn't want to do it - perhaps that's grounds to count it as 40 minutes. It's very Cognitive Therapy to simply see eating and exercise as "Both of these need to be solved."

Readers -
Quote:
day 13 Overcome Cravings
..To weaken the intensity and reduce
the frequency of cravings, you have to
. . . . . .stop giving in to them.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 127.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hello Coaches,

Nothing to report. Just chugging along. I was OP today (except for a sliver of green mango that my two year old really really wanted me to eat – Beck needs a separate chapter for pre-school aged food-pushers). I did 20 minutes on the elliptical and 20 minutes on the treadmill with a good incline and brisk pace. I really need to get out my calendar so I count my streak days. (The only reason I did yoga the day before yesterday, when I didn’t want to in a crappy hotel room in the middle of nowhere after a hard and hot day’s work was because of the stupid streak. Go streak!) Friday weigh in: lost 1.5 lbs.

Tricia: It sounds like your behaviors are spot on. I agree with BBE, the body will follow--eventually. (Sigh…but it is still frustrating. I hear you.)

Seadwaters: Hmm. $5000 does put it in a different light. The herb thing would be worrisome to me. If you do go for it, I’ll be interested to hear about it. It is a tough decision. Health is most definitely worth going $5000 into debt for but, as you say, only if the program can deliver the goods as promised.

Hi, Ladym0208, first, credit for awareness, second, credit for waiting.

BBE: I was just thinking today that it might be time to try to find a class or two to take. It’s fun to hear about yours. I can just imagine your opera students belting out Officer Krupke. Wish I could have heard that.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #57  
Green Tomatoes

Some of the things I've been doing this year for organizing my tasks and time, lots based on Beck techniques, finally came together this week and I had four days in a row of completed to-do lists. Credit for recognizing this morning that today's to-do list didn't feel right. Credit for ripping it out of the notebook and writing a whole new plan that seems more doable.

80%OP or better streak: 6
3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 32 Credit!
WI: -0.15kg, Exercise: +60 350/1500 minutes for March, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 03-07-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: taking credit for days that haven't happened yet
Old 03-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #58  
helpingrachel

Yea for your flexibility to stay with a plan that feels right. I have been inspired by Lexxiss's perseverance and OnebyOne's drive to get her house in order. Beck's strategies work in many areas of life.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #59  

Default Reconsidered

Hi Coaches

I have been thinking and there are no miracle cures around and last night talking to the woman who had done the "treatment" it seems that that is what it is about really. So insofar as:

Quote:
should I just pay for illness or invest in health?
I need to do both but not pay for what amounts to a miracle - not yet anyway

I will continue this weekend to try to change and improve my food plan / diet by taking out some things and adding in things to try to improve it and make it more manageable and enjoyable. I will go to an acupuncturist to deal with acute flare ups when they happen and develop a relationship with one for that purpose and see if it works - if not out it goes. But that is one area it is supposed to work well (being the perpetual sceptic for all things healthcare including western medicine I will hold judgement).

I am planning on gym tomorrow and chores today for exercise. Have a good weekend coaches

ETA: My weight is at ticker today - the only time I have been back there since changing ticker. I have been hovering between 193 - 194 so it was good to see the return of 192. Hope it hangs around for a while

If I didn't have the excel spreadsheet I would be very down - slow movement is movement however
Attached Images
File Type: jpg excel.jpg (15.7 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 03-07-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi coaches,

I am in a bad eating place this week. I feel like such a failure. There I posted it. I ate on plan today and that's good but I keep thinking how long is this going to last?- another hour? another day? It is so hard to keep on starting over.

I just know I don't want to feel so horrible any more. I know negativity won't help but tonight that is where I am.

Take care and sorry for the downer post.

Closed Thread