3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2014 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/293340-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-march-2014-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

GosfordGirl 03-04-2014 04:46 AM

Tuesday night

Coaches

This is a quick check in. I planned food for the day and stayed on plan until dinner when the meat I had planned was too hard to deal with so I had an omelette. I have done over 8,000 steps which is amazing since I hurt my hip badly. Not sure what happened but I took one step into the lift and screamed. My hip had been sore (why I took the lift) and it just went. I will wait till tomorrow to have an X-Ray if it is still severely sore. So I missed gym tonight because I couldn't risk hurting it further (bummer really). Am going to rest up on the lounge and get away from the computer.

I am looking at a different (but similar) diet because I need to inject some life into this diet. Will look at it further over the next few days and let you know

Thanks coaches

BillBlueEyes 03-04-2014 06:27 AM

Tuesday - Mardi Gras

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, in bitter cold. An over-scheduled day meant that I had to bring my dinner to my evening meeting. I rerouted my walking path to include a Greek place with fast takeout so dinner was falafel with hummus. Then worked with a group for three and a half hours with snacks on the table that didn't find my sticky little fingers dipping into them. CREDIT moi for ignoring snacks even when decisions were made that weren't my first choice.

The day before when having sardines for lunch, I wondered what to do with the Extra Virgin Olive Oil left in the tin. Decided to mix it with balsamic vinegar to dress my dinner salad. It sounded like a chef's dream - sardine infused EVOO! Maybe my best culinary idea ever. Well, it was just awful. It tasted like old dead fish on my good lettuce. Back to wasting the oil after eating sardines for lunch.

onebyone – Neat to think of your body having metabolized those pounds instead of having lost them. Kudos for clearing your spare bedroom suitably for an overnight guest.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for popcorn mindfully consumed.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Ouch for a hip acting up - hope the X-ray goes well today. Good luck thinking about what you need in a diet.

FutureFitChick – Kudos for "saying "oh, well" and keeping at it."

maryann - Yay for a plan to have your mind clear for your trip to Sedona . To my horror, I encountered a See's Candy corner in the furniture store we visited. I trembled, remembering that the few times I've had their candy it was sooooo good that I'd want a whole box. I walked out without any. But it'd help if you'd kindly keep those out west where they belong.

ladym0208 – Ouch for having to face "MASSIVE" servings - Kudos for a sane response.

nationalparker – Ouch for a pet that thinks that stripping sheets is therapy for an insane working day. And Kudos for my positive interpretation of what you meant by facing insane stress with, "I will consider it a success to drink more."

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Kudos for multiple credits on a difficult day: 7600 steps and a dinner halved at the restaurant.

Tricia (AZtricia) - LOL that your pup Teddy is now your exercise trainer by stealing your slippers for a chase. Dogs are smart - they know what we need. Ouch for your DS learning how to burn eggs. Next thing to learn is that 'hard-boiling' eggs in the microwaving saves time but leads to explosion - sometimes just after taking them out of the microwave as you serve them at the table. Not a pretty sight.

Readers -
Quote:

day 13 Overcome Cravings

If you've successfully dieted in the past, you might remember how wonderful it feels when you stop experiencing intense cravings. To weaken the intensity and reduce the frequency of cravings, however, you have to stop giving into them. People who struggle with dieting usually find that they don't limit themselves to just a small taste of the food they crave, even thought they try to eat just a little, they end up eating a lot. Have you also found that cravings don't usually go away by trying to satisfy them with just a taste?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 127.

onebyone 03-04-2014 08:13 AM

mental relief=body release?

Coaches

At the potters' guild meeting last night (I'm a member) the guest I lined up flew in just to give us a talk and a look at her work. SO GENEROUS. I met her when I was the ceramic tech in my previous town and she has been, it seems, skyrocketing in her new artistic field. Previously she was a biologist. Now she works with clay and WORK she does-10-11 hours a day she says every day and she loves it. Her work is stunning and complicated and she is a detail oriented person and NONE OF IT IS FUNCTIONAL. Ahhhhh* insert breath of fresh air here* She was exactly what I needed to hear. And so the polar opposite of the majority of my potters' guild. I am so happy to have heard someone from "my tribe" speak. I feel renewed to pursue my own work again. Thank you H for speaking at our monthly meeting.

SO, to tie this to my title on this message. I have found that when I am stressed or depressed or very tense the weight on my body just stays there, longer than it should, longer than it makes sense. But when I feel joy, or calm, or happiness the weight seems to leave me when I am not even looking. Whether that's cause my state of mind doesn't care cause I am happy and in the other scenario I am worried or tense so I am fussing over it and therefore paying too much attention--or whether my body actually hangs onto the weight and won't release it - not sure, but I woke up to see 263.9 this morning. That week long dance around 264 ended this morning and I woke up sure of myself for the first time in months and anxious to get to work again. And also to treat myself seriously and my work seriously. So great. *credit for weighing in, tracking my food, checking in here and reading my arc and listening to my positive thinking/hypnosis/meditation recordings. I will be getting that cut, colour, and blowdry within the week! Maybe tomorrow!

Better go. My ride will be here soon. Will check in later.

gardenerjoy 03-04-2014 09:26 AM

I'm upping my exercise for a few days to 60 minutes a day in an effort to improve my sleep before the time change this weekend. That sometimes throws me for a loop but if I plan ahead by doing things that I know help my sleep, I can usually make the transition more smoothly.

80%OP or better streak: 3
3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 29 Credit!
WI: +0.2kg, Exercise: +60 160/1500 minutes for March, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

maryann: 3Ss sounds super!

AZtricia: good job rescuing your day after a stinky start.

FutureFitChick: good for you for finding a way to keep moving ahead.

bethFromDayton: sounds like good progress -- way to go getting back to it.

nationalparker: I hope you got a good night's sleep after that long day. Good for you for being aware that worry won't help -- reminding myself of that does make a difference, I believe.

ladym0208: Good for you for recognizing the feeling of being on the verge of a binge and stopping it. I still have that. After reading David Kessler's books, I think of it as an old pathway in my brain. I have made new pathways, now, and most of the time they take precedence, but once in a while that old one lights up. Being aware means that I can switch to a new pathway, most of the time.

seadwaters: I hope your hip is better this morning. I've had two memorable hip incidents like you describe. I assume that they were arthritis flare-ups but I didn't get it diagnosed -- I had my knees diagnosed over a decade ago and the diagnosis didn't make much difference. I can only do the first half of RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) for hip pain, but I do that and take Naproxen. So far, that's fixed my hip problems by the next day.

BillBlueEyes: LOL at the sardine oil experiment. I've been getting a new brand of tuna and salmon at Whole Foods that packs the fish in its own oil. The suggestion is to not drain the oil since it's filled with Omega-3s. I made salmon salad yesterday with just a tiny amount of mayo since I kept all the fish oil. It was yummy!

onebyone: so glad that you got a boost from a member of your tribe -- great job bringing her into your life! I love reading your description of what it's like when you let go of tension.

FutureFitChick 03-04-2014 01:50 PM

Hi, Everyone.

Bad headache today. Bummer. I'm just trying to not be Wreck-It Ralph with my food today.

PT this morning was tough! I hope it was just a tough workout and that I'm not getting sick, but the headache makes me wonder...

Take care, Everyone!

bethFromDayton 03-04-2014 08:56 PM

Hi everyone.

I'm afraid I'm coming down with something so didn't get any extra exercise in today, but did have an OP day, food wise, so I feel good about that. I had several "hunger is not an emergency" conversations with myself--I ended up having my snack much earlier than usual, but then had an additional diet coke rather than an extra snack. Credit for remembering--hunger is not an emergency and that a no-cal liquid can be distracting enough.

I'm going to pack and plan tomorrow now--and probably pack 2 days of lunches, just to keep myself on track.

Take care, all.

AZtricia 03-04-2014 11:10 PM

Hello Coaches,
Quick check-in to say today has been better than yesterday...no stinky messes!
Food OP, Exercise OP
See you tomorrow.

ladym0208 03-05-2014 12:55 AM

Good morning Beck buddies,

Yesterday was on OK day. I travelled with another team from the UK to a rural village about 3 hours away from where we are. We were measuring up their houses to supply them with rain water harvesting equipment. It amazes me how humbly people here can live and often without the 'basics' like running water and toilets. What also surprises me is their generosity, we arrived at lunch and they had cooked a full meal for us all; they feel OK with giving so much when they have so little. Later in the evening the same team from the UK invited us al for a meal at the guest house they are staying at, what is nice about being here is that I feel there is more of a sense of community. So my credits for yesterday....

- Stopping myself from over eating at lunch
- We were served about 2 cups of rice with dinner and I asked for an empty plate so that I could share with someone else and avoid the temptation to over eat
- Yesterday was shrove Tuesday (Pancake day!!) I had not planned to eat pancakes but they had prepared them for us at dinner and I decided not to have any as it was not in my plan

Happy Wednesday all xx

GosfordGirl 03-05-2014 05:02 AM

Good evening coaches

Well my hip is still awful - I wouldn't worry a lot and would just take analgesics except that my line manager walked around for 1 month on a broken hip! I can accept that going off prednisolone and reducing anti-inflammatories might lead to an acute event like this but just need to check out worst case scenario! At first this morning I thought it was OK but it got worse again. And I did get a diagnosis of osteoporosis and hip fractures go with the territory...I need to check if it is OK to go to PT on Friday

This is really frustrating - it happened last time I was on 3FC - I was doing well and then a whole pile of physical things made it difficult to exercise. I thought I was in the clear now and am really down about it. I am really over physical limitations that lead to pain. Anyway - resilience and problem solving. I need to find out if it is risky and if not just press on! I have been enjoying gym etc. And I need to get fit to retire healthy! My sister is sending me stuff about cruises - and I want to be healthy by next year.

I need to "sweeten up (my) plan" - I will think over the weekend about changes I might make. I am getting bored and need to rethink what I am doing. I am going to think that "adhering to a healthy lifestyle is a joy and a blessing, it's no burden. REALIZE that, because it's a biggie. Tell yourself that even if you don't believe it right now - eventually you will KNOW it." (rokinrobin 26-2-2010) I will set the parameters and decide what I am eating

Credits: Food - planned and OP; no exercise except getting from A to B - 8000 steps; I am planning for tomorrow and the future; Advantage cards read.

I was doing personals but I need to go to bed - I feel bad because I have enjoyed reading and I see that many are doing fly-bys - oh well

BillBlueEyes 03-05-2014 06:05 AM

Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – On plan eating, CREDIT moi, with the single snack being a California Navel Orange in the evening. Dinner, alone, was the left over half of the 'small' Thai meal from last Friday, a green salad, and a bowl of lentil soup (perhaps it was weak Dahl - I don't know the difference). I left a wad of brown rice - separate CREDIT moi since it's still a challenge for me to leave food.

Walking, CREDIT moi, in the continued bitter cold was invigorating. The game is to remember the few places where the sidewalk was never shoveled that is now solid ice so that I don't get trapped. Of course I can walk over the ice but I have to break my brisk pace and I lose imaginary points in the imaginary game. Or worse, the bad guys with vorpal swords might catch up. (Grown ups are not expected to be sympathetic.) Took a second walk later on a made up errand just because.

onebyone – Terrific story of your friend changing careers from biologist to stunning artist. Kudos for reaching out and bringing her to your group.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – You win the Beck plan ahead award for starting Daylight Savings Time switch a week early. [I'll look for that salmon packed in its own oil - cool idea.]

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Important step, "I am getting bored and need to rethink." Kudos for being aware. Love the perspective, "I need to get fit to retire healthy!"

FutureFitChick – Here's a story to make an Indiana academic feel proud enough to cure a headache:
Quote:

On January 18, 1897, Indiana state representative Taylor I. Record argued in favor of changing the value of pi. Pi, which can be rounded to 3.14159, is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. Tyler believed that the number was inconveniently long; in House Bill 246, he asked that it be rounded up to 3.2 The bill passed the House but was defeated in the Senate when the chairman of Purdue University's math department successfully pleaded that it would make Indiana a national laughingstock. The value of pi in Indiana remains the same as in every other state.
Paul A. Offit, M.D., Do You Believe in Magic? The Sense and Nonsense of Alternative Medicine, page 142
ladym0208 – Super Kudos for skipping the pancakes on Shrove Tuesday (not a tradition that came over with the Pilgrims). The generosity of folks who have little always moves me.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Cheers for "hunger is not an emergency" when that's what you need.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Yay for no stinks and Kudos for OP.

Readers -
Quote:

day 13 Overcome Cravings

Waiting out a craving increases your ability to tolerate cravings and also increases your confidence that you can do so. The more often you wait out your cravings, the less intense and less frequent they'll be in the future. Eventually, you'll experience a craving, and, instead of feeling bad, you'll feel good. You'll spontaneously say to yourself, This is great ... I'm feeling a craving, but I know I can tolerate it and it'll go away ... It's great that I'm tolerating it! Instead of feeling deprived, you'll feel good - proud, strong, confident, in control. Dieting will get so much easier.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 127.

Lexxiss 03-05-2014 07:49 AM

Hi Coaches!

I'm trying to get caught up at home, while working a long stretch at the restaurant. I've gotten through two birthdays in the process. Right now I'm immersed in paperwork so we can head over the hill for two days and enjoy some pool time.

I decided to end my "streak" which I must say really helped me get through the last month of the project in a good way.

DH is staring at the computer now so I guess I'd better get going. lol

gardenerjoy 03-05-2014 09:47 AM

I dearly hope that today is the last day that "shovel snow" appears on my exercise log this season. I thought we'd get it done yesterday but, in some spots, we could only get the top layer off. That and today's sunshine and warmer temperatures should make it possible to get the rest off today. We've been snowed in since Saturday!

80%OP or better streak: 4
3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 30 Credit!
WI: +0.65kg, Exercise: +70 230/1500 minutes for March, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

seadwaters: good for you for taking the necessary steps to get your hip checked out -- hope all of that goes well!

AZtricia 03-05-2014 10:52 AM

Hello Coaches,

Today is pizza day again. :jeno: Still deciding if I want to pack extra protein and fiber or just a completely different meal. Everyone is up, breakfasted, and started on the day, but I am tired cause pup was up a couple times last night (for the first time in a long while) hope he is better tonight. Today is DVD day for exercise in addition to walking. Wishing you all a great OP day.

bethFromDayton
Kudos for splitting your entree and potato while eating out.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bethFromDayton (Post 4956677)
...Credit for remembering--hunger is not an emergency and that a no-cal liquid can be distracting enough....

Great reminder, thanks!!

nationalparker Bummer for the long day and sick pet. Hope you were able to get in more water.

ladym0208
Huge kudos for stopping stress eating before it was out of hand. It is very weird that the people there don't understand the effects of bad eating and the link to diseases. You "could" look at this as an opportunity to teach them all, or you could remember "this too will pass" and just continue to ignore it. I'm thankful for you that your time there is short. Sounds like you did a wonderful job with portion control and food choice on your short trip- awesome! :cheer3:

seadwaters OUCH! Sorry to hear your hip is not better! :getwell:
Quote:

Originally Posted by seadwaters (Post 4956829)
[.... I am going to think that "adhering to a healthy lifestyle is a joy and a blessing, it's no burden. REALIZE that, because it's a biggie. Tell yourself that even if you don't believe it right now - eventually you will KNOW it." (rokinrobin 26-2-2010) ...l

- LOVE it! :val1:

BillBlueEyes Mmmm, hummus! The closest Greek place to us closed and I have not had any in a long time. Kudos for ignoring the snacks. Eeeww, the sardine oil experiment will NOT be repeated here! Sorry your salad was ruined. Pup has decided to go for shoes now too...as soon as I slip them off my feet. I decided to train him to play with his rope instead, we will see how that works. Great job leaving some rice and warm thoughts for melted ice and spring!

onebyone Hurray for reduced stress and a good guild meeting!

gardenerjoy Guess I need to put the time change on my calendar! We are one of the few places that don't change, but it impacts our out of state calling and online classes. Kudos for your continued streak. Yikes for more snow and having to shovel, I so don't miss that from when we lived in the mid-west.

FutureFitChick Hope your headache is better.

Lexxiss
So glad to hear your streak helped you. Enjoy the pool!!

FutureFitChick 03-05-2014 05:40 PM

Not a bad day, so far. Feeling tons better than yesterday!

Food has been on plan, and I used "NO CHOICE" to talk myself out of seomthing I "deserved".

Take care!

[B]BBE[B], yea for politicians trying to rewrite science. I guess some things never change.

maryann 03-05-2014 08:28 PM

Good Evening, Coaches.

Work and life seem all consuming this week. I am putting one step in front of the other and trying not to look up. Priorities (After DS of course) have been to SIT DOWN. Credit for finally getting some days under belt practicing this habit. The other two habits have only been about 80%.. No smoothie or salad today. I am just not hungry after making a few bad choices and I feel it is better to stop eating than force myself to eat when I am full. Tomorrow is another. day. Weight is one pound above ticker.

Credit for having bought some beautiful work clothes I love that are a size I never dreamed I would wear. This gives me a terrific incentive to keep a tight watch on the scale so I don't grow out of them. I am motivated.

BBE: See's candy is like Bamboo - once it plants itself it is impossible to get rid of.

Seadwaters: Sorry to hear about the hip. Sending good mojo.

nationalparker: I can hear the overwhelm in your voice. I am sure it is as much to do with your father as it is work.

onebyone: I agree that when I am happily distracted my body is happy as well.

bethfromDayton: Thanks for the reminder that hunger is not an emergency.

Wave to all.