Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 04:27 AM   #241  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Thursday and weekend on the horizon

Hi Coaches

I have had an at the desk day after I did gym this morning. But I don't seem to have achieved a lot (was trying to take the pressure off Sunday). I spent some time on sorting my plan and meals for tomorrow. I have decided that the changes I will make to diet for the moment include:

Trying a 2 day "fast" (calorie restriction) per week (thanks 6crowsgold for video to add to my reading about it)
Usually GF, no grains and beans/legumes (but will occasionally indulge, eg popcorn)
I will keep carbs reduced but at the level of 100g per day not as low as usual. Will have gluten free bread!
Lots of veggies and salads and more fruit
On fast days I will stick to smoothies and salads - need to develop which ones to have

I am looking forward to see the results and how I feel

BillBE - I can see why you would do those extra steps - I have been known to sprint around my flat to reach a number! Credit for drawing the line for snacks and showing us the way

6crowsgold - thanks for the link. I have been reading his stuff for a while and before that have been trying intermittent fasting (IF) by eating in an 8 hour window between 11 to 8pm - but this looks more manageable. I agree, the health benefits look good. I am also a smoothy for breakfast person!

Gardenerjoy - hope the allergies pass. Yay for distractions although not sure what distracts you from feeling really bad

Tricia - I have yet to find a good gluten free pizza as my local really has closed down Glad you have things in control. It is really sensible to think seriously about what is sustainable in the context of your life = very sensible advice. Yay for 1 pound down again

Nationalparker - they do say that you shouldn't shop hungry - 'they' seem to be right! I have done exactly the same thing. Sending thoughts for you and your father - it will impact on lots of decisions you make even if it isn't obvious

CeeJay - credit for 7 pounds down. I like your rational approach to that amazing figure - it is so like my own inner dialogue so huge credit for identifying the flaw in the thinking. It is a keeper and I have copied it for my response cards

Credits
  • Ate on plan today - a few readjustments for the rainy cold weather - 100% for adjusted plan
  • Planned food for tomorrow - yes
  • I logged food as I ate it - yes
  • Weighed in and logged weight - yes - down 2.4 pounds and steady as she goes hopefully
  • I did planned exercises - Gym this morning - tough - about 7500 steps
  • I didn't eat standing up - 95%
  • I checked in with my diet coaches - Yes
  • Listened to motivation recording - yes x 2
  • Scheduled time for diet and exercise - yes - dog walk tomorrow
Old 03-27-2014, 06:08 AM   #242  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Not a particularly productive day. Oh Well. I did reach out: I'd picked up a coffee table book of local black-and-white photographs from the library. After a quick read, I realized that a friend who does similar photography might enjoy this. Then realized that I know him to patronize our same library. So, after a few emails I dropped the book by his house; he'll return it to the library. Slightly expanded walk, CREDIT moi, with a chance to solicit his help planning a basement fusion reactor to avoid infrequent but annoying power failures. Don't tell anyone - you probably need a permit or something.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with no serious challenges. It's still colder than matches my notion of March while our to-be-planted-on-Saint-Patrick's-Day peas just sit here. Cape Cod had a real blizzard - albeit with little snow, just high wind misery. We escaped.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for "zero-calorie distractions that work."

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Congrats for "down 2.4 pounds and steady as she goes hopefully." Kudos for getting your eating plan clear.

maryann - Kudos for pulling off the "Kitchen is closed at 6:00" strategy. Thanks for the excuse to go read Yeats, The Second Coming,
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
nationalparker – You're doing well with a bunch on your plate right now. It's a good time to be sure you're avoiding judging yourself. Big Ouch for unwanted tensions at work - especially from the very folks designated to be supportive. Kudos for having "a voucher from an auction" which, in my world, means you made a contribution to some fund raiser you believe in.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Just what I needed to hear today, "the changes I'm making I can live with long term."

6crowsgold - I feel the energy of your "snazzy Elliptical Tech Desk" while reading your post. Kudos for planning and executing that.

ladynredd - Thanks for bringing Jackie O. into the conversation. Feel free to join us here.

Readers -
Quote:
day 13 Overcome Cravings

Anti-Craving Strategies

As you follow your diet plan and tolerate craving after craving, you'll find that cravings definitely diminish. You won't have to do battle whenever you see your favorite foods. it'll be such a relief to know that you can resist foods you haven't planned to eat, even if the urge to eat is strong.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 133.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #243  

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning,

GosfordGirl Hope you enjoy the video, he's a very engaging guy as he goes off on his adventure to try all the latest discoveries in "anti-aging".

BBE "basement fusion reactor" sounds a little "Mad Scientist Lair" to me...love it!

Broadcasting again from the "Tech Desk", stepping [elliptical-ing?] as I type. Definitely decided to keep this contraption since yesterday went so well on it.

Yesterday, I faced the day with a meal plan written down and checked off everything as I went. This kept me OP for the day, so today I'm doing the same.

Last night I lurked all over the forum looking for inspiration and found a bit. Mostly I feel a little out of place due to my age [over 55] and my pipe dream to be at a weight I enjoyed in my thirties.

What I like about Beck is that, in the phrase "Problem Solving" it seems to emphasize the "Solving" more so than the "Problem". Guess that's why I'm here.

Have a Great Day!

Last edited by 6crowsgold; 03-27-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #244  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hello Coaches,

OP today. Tennis lesson last night and ran 5K today. One really fun thing about getting back in shape when starting from such a dismal baseline is that I set a new personal best practically every time I do anything.

I wanted to give a shout out to whoever (Ceejay?) posted about the self-defeating approach of "Oh this is working. I will do something else now." That formulation keeps coming back to me when I am tempted to "do something else" like not stick to my plan. Then I think about what you said and remind myself, oh yeah, stick to what works.

6crowsgold: Yes, I really like Beck’s problem solving approach. For me, it was huge when I understood that I do not have weight problem, I have a behavior problem. I can do something about my behaviors.

BBE: I want to know what’s on the rest of your bucket list, and now I CANNOT be there when you say it with a straight face because I will totally start giggling and ruin it for you. I’m going to mommy-jack your personal again, but I just found out that my six year old has a bucket list. She put swinging from a rope into a lake on the list.

Cheryl: I’ll be interested to hear what happens with your intermittent fasting experiment. I learn so much on this thread! For the record, I am not a smoothie at any time person. Maybe I should be more open-minded.

Maryann: LOL here for you DH and the necklace.

Ladynredd: You win for best first post.

Nationalparker: Yelling, particularly at people who are not in a position to yell back, is completely unacceptable. I would lose all respect for a boss who yells. Unprofessional to the nth degree.

Tricia: Well done for OP and exercise. You manage the pizza days well. That is still a very tough one for me. Thanks for posting the sign – that was good to remember.

Joy: Hope you feel better soon.

Last edited by flnu; 03-27-2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-27-2014, 09:03 PM   #245  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello Coaches!

Today has been OP. Rotisserie-ing two chickens again. I decided to try a new exercise DVD that I've not done before. I have the T-Tapp: Step Away The Inches. Did the instructional section today, it is TOUGH! It will be good to add some variety and the techniques it teaches will help when I'm on the treadmill. But for now it just reinforced how out of shape I've become.

nationalparker Hope you enjoyed your pizza night. Did you see the post on the Beck blog? It had some great responses to sabotaging thoughts recently. http://beckdietsolution.wordpress.co...ie-two-events/

maryann
You've come so far and it is wonderful that you are willing to face the 2 pound gain and not let it become more.

Cheryl/GosfordGirl Kudos for going to the gym. Lots of veggies and salads sounds like a great plan as the fiber will be filling. There is no gluten free pizza around here either, except homemade!

BillBlueEyes Kudos for the walk and sharing with friends!

6crowsgold Kudos for OP and written plan keeping you on track.

flnu Are you still enjoying tennis? Kudos for quick improvement and keeping your eyes on the positive! Pizza is getting easier because I want the results more than the pizza, but I have to plan on not being too hungry when I approach the smell because I don't have a resistance muscle that is up to that challenge!

Last edited by AZtricia; 03-27-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #246  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Better day for me, mentally. Rushed home after work on a rainy day to "whip up" which to me cannot be rushed but I did, spaghetti and turkey meatballs, tomato salad (which was terrible). The main dish came out delish and we enjoyed a table set with fine china and dined by candlelight for no reason at all other than enjoying a meal with the one I love. Not light, but portion was reasonable, not restaurant-sized. On to Friday..

Last edited by nationalparker; 03-27-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:04 AM   #247  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Friday

Hi Coaches

Today was disorganised and a bit all over the place and I didn't take a grip on food - just let it sort of evolve. That doesn't work for me at all. I need to take the time over the weekend, in between trying to get chores done and prepare classes, to make a clear map of food for next week. I need to empty the veggie drawer over the week and I need to plan 2 "fast" days for the week. I think I will make Wednesday and Friday the fast days. I am not sure I can do it but the benefits seem real so I will try for 4 weeks and see what happens! If it is too horrible I will go back to eating in an 8 hour window each day.

Summer persists and the weather is hot (above 80 most days at this time of year), cloudy, and very steamy (over 80% humidity). Like you I am a bit over it and want to swap seasons with you

I am trying to keep up the gym and food prep even when busy - I can't quite reclaim my weekends but I can maintain some healthful activities and planning.

Bill - want to see this basement fusion reactor and find out what it is for - almost as intriguing as the uses of gobsmacked

6crowsgold - I can't believe your organisation funded your desk - it sounds/looks amazing and puts the standing desks with treadmill in the shade. Certainly a cure for "sitting is the new smoking"

Credits
  • Ate on plan today - Nope - hadn't planned popcorn last night but had it; hadn't planned hot chips but had them today
  • Planned food for tomorrow - not yet
  • I logged food as I ate it - yes - today I had some foods that I can't put into MFP
  • Weighed in and logged weight - yes - same as yesterday so it is steady!
  • I did planned exercises - no exercise planned
  • I didn't eat standing up - 50% - ate hot chips while I shopped for veggies - not good at all
  • I checked in with my diet coaches - Yes
  • Listened to motivation recording - yes x 2
  • Scheduled time for diet and exercise - yes - planning gym tomorrow
Old 03-28-2014, 06:40 AM   #248  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Gym, CREDIT moi, was good because the Amped Arms and Abs class pushed me and I couldn't do all 50 reps of all the exercises happening. Oh Well. I did better than the last time I took it. Glad I'm doing a class that's a stretch. The other seven participants were much younger with admirably fit bodies. Walk was to an evening event with DW. We walked home past two restaurants that we didn't know had appeared - both added to our list.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi. I planned to make dinner out of the light evening reception and that worked out. I did eat at the high end of my plan. I was ready to leave and DW was deep into a conversation with a friend who happened to be there so I ate some more. That's not the preferred response to being kept waiting, but I still kept the eating to good enough.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Neat focus, "I am trying to keep up the gym and food prep even when busy."

nationalparker – Monster Kudos for "enjoying a meal with the one I love" - what a fine appreciation of life. How can a tomato salad be terrible?

Tricia (AZtricia) - Kudos for taking on an exercise that pushes you. Thanks for the link to Beck's discussion of Sabotaging Thoughts when attending two eating events in one evening. I particularly liked, "My wife won’t know about it, so it’s okay."

flnu - LOL at "personal best practically every time." I do enjoy when I'm at that stage of a new quest. That reminds me why maintenance just doesn't stroke the endorphins. [Congrats for raising a DD whose Bucket List sports one of life's true joys - swinging from a rope into a lake. (Quietly removing you from the invitation list to my next Bucket List recital.)]

6crowsgold - Is this desk similar to the one you're typing from? Neat insight that Beck seems to emphasize the "Solving" more so than the "Problem".

Readers -
Quote:
day 13 Overcome Cravings

what are you thinking?
The following are typical sabotaging thoughts with helpful responses. Make Response Cards for any you think apply to you.

Sabotaging Thought: The next time I have a craving, I won’t be able to tolerate it.
Helpful Response: I couldn't tolerate cravings in the past, but now I have lots of anti-craving techniques that I can use, which will make the craving to away. Besides, the discomfort of cravings is mild compared to the discomfort I felt when _________________. I tolerated that, and I can certainly tolerate cravings.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 133.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #249  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello friends,

My horror month is over so now I am back :-)

Tonight is just me re committing - tomorrow I will:
- weigh in;
- plan the following days food;
- meditate;
- exercise;
- do my back exercises;
- only eat sitting down.

It is so awesome for having you all here to re commit to.

The other thing i will do is give myself credit - yay to me for being here, recommitting the first day after the horror ended.

I haven't been reading posts so i hope all is going well for you all. I look forward to catching up on your news.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:22 AM   #250  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Good morning,

Off to the office- just a quick check in. Last night I was visited by hunger and cravings. I did eat off plan but stopped way before I wanted to. So that's something. Moving on...

Hope everyone has a great day and ForMyGirls- glad whatever happened is over and good to see you back. The wonderful thing about this group is they are always here when we are ready.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #251  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

We are over at our swim-shack with DD and GD. We came over Tuesday after work and immediately found our "project". We are in the process of cleaning out DH's office and transforming it into a bedroom for our extra family in a way which will also preserve my husband's "space". Everything is out of the room (old carpet included) and new vinyl flooring is sitting outside. I haven't quite figured out how to perform the cutting but will work that next.

Food has been acceptable. I recognize it's because I keep a tight reign on my food environment. No junk to run to in the house-a trip is always necessary. lol. I've used resistance tools to keep as close to plan as possible. Credit. This morning I remembered all my decluttering tools, too, and spent some time putting things back into place as much as possible in order to facilitate the next step. Credit. We go back over the hill tomorrow. If I persist with this vinyl we might get to put everything else back in place, including the new bed. I'm going to give it my best.

I continue to read posts….my lifeline. Thanks everyone!

CeeJay, credit for stopping way before you wanted to! Get back on track is such an important tool.

BBE, yay for attending your class which is challenging your muscles!

ForMyGirls, glad you are back after a rough patch. Yes, getting here the very first day you were able is such a big step!

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), good you are going to make time for food planning during the weekend as you recognize that spontaneous food evolution just doesn't work for you.

Nationalparker, nice job making a special event out of a Thursday night dinner, even if the tomato salad wasn't that good.

Aztricia, yay for trying out a new video...it sounds very interesting! Glad your new battery seems to have solved the problem! PS Loved the FB quote...how true!

Flnu, yay for exercise! Yay, too, for continual new personal bests! Yep, stick to what works it's a strategy for success!

6crowsgold, always great to hear from others' how well it works to write a plan and to check everything as you go in order to stay OP. Credit.

Maryann, kudos for your daily quest of maintenance. I, too, have found it much easier to work at that maintenance # on a daily basis rather than letting it slide into 2 digits.

Gardenerjoy, hope those allergies are improving and yay for continuing to work towards that "food won't fix it" spot.

OK, I am off to try and figure out the vinyl cutting dilemma. I am chuckling here….I had to make a quick run to my convenience store that sells the fancy Aspen pastries passing them off as the usual donut-junk. I did notice that the stuff in the display was yesterdays but when I was leaving the Aspenguy had pulled up and actually walked past me with todays fresh delivery. It doesn't get any fresher and I walked out the door! Credit!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 03-28-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #252  
Green Tomatoes

I went to bed early and stayed in bed late. Hoping a 9 and a half hour night fixes what ails me. I have a plan for today and I'm determined to implement it! Typing that, now, will help me remember in the middle of the afternoon when all my good intentions seem to fly out the window. The windows are closed, of course (allergies). So the good intentions must be batting about on the glass. All I have to do is walk over and retrieve them.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #253  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenerjoy View Post
I went to bed early and stayed in bed late. Hoping a 9 and a half hour night fixes what ails me. I have a plan for today and I'm determined to implement it! Typing that, now, will help me remember in the middle of the afternoon when all my good intentions seem to fly out the window. The windows are closed, of course (allergies). So the good intentions must be batting about on the glass. All I have to do is walk over and retrieve them.
Lovely word picture. Hope you collect those good intentions before they damage your windows
Old 03-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #254  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hello to all,

Down 2 pounds on Friday weigh-in. It's a cheat though because I exercised the night before. (I usually exercise in the morning, after I weigh.) I don't want to get excited about the 160s because I could still bounce up again in the coming weeks and then I'll be disappointed. Glad to have you back, ForMyGirls. Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #255  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Inconsequential thought of the day: how do hand models handle water retention? My rings, which usually spin around on my finger, have been tight. All week.

So thankful that it's Friday. I've been tormenting myself with trying to revamp my trip home to help care for my folks next month. Do I go earlier? Do I stay longer? DH has really been pushing me to go longer, while brother on site says you'l be needed more down the line, most likely, so do what you think is best. Both options seem best to me - I know how wearying it is to have "company" in your home for so long, and my sister's visit will precede mine. Finally reached a resolution a few minutes ago and it feels like a guilty weight has been lifted. If I don't go for longer, I worried that it meant to others that I didn't love my parents as much as they thought I did, which is certainly not the case. Since we do so much work on nights/weekends, work is thankfully being flexible and allowing me to work remotely when I can and take less time off. This is a new thing, so I want to make sure it works great, to ensure needs are met down the line. To anyone who made it through that nutty thought process, I commend you

Bill - my tomatoes were white inside, mealy and bleh! He took leftovers for lunch, and his coworkers refer to his lunches as gourmet meals, which I secretly like

ForMyGirls - Yay on being back right on schedule - impressive. I hope today is a great continuation on your path.

Flnu - GREAT job on the loss! If you're wondering where it went, I found it. Back out of those danged 160s and mentally that is such a big deal for me. Keep up the great work!

GardenerJoy - I, too, like the image of the good resolutions laying at the base of a window. I will journal that tonight - thank you- they're still there, just not right at my fingertips.

Lexxiss - Do you rent yourself and your gung-ho-ness (it's Friday, grammar is slacking) out to those who need a push? You just GET IT DONE on so many levels. Many kudos.

Last edited by nationalparker; 03-28-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Closed Thread