Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 02:59 AM   #196  

Default Friday

Hey coaches,

I have had a busy few days but have managed to stay on track with my eating and exercise. I spent the last few days in Burundi the country just south of Rwanda. It is absolutely stunning there especially by lake Tanganyika, spending time there was just what I needed to relax a bit until my new team arrive on Monday. My credits are that I didn't use being 'away' as an excuse to over indulge; my portions were in control and I made healthy choices. The place I was staying in was right next to a boulangerie and even though I had to have a look...I left empty handed!!!

Happy Saturday everyone...here's to an OP weekend!
Old 03-22-2014, 04:33 AM   #197  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Saturday night

Hi Coaches

Last night was a bit of a disaster - I decided I would have a pizza and get it out of my system as it were (I know, I know) because I had had a big day and I came home and did a lot of the chores so I would be organised etc etc. As luck would have it the pizza place I used to use wasn't open last night! I think it has gone out of business since I stopped ordering there I was totally flummoxed and ordered from somewhere else and it WASN'T a better choice. I do think it is out of my system - today I have been cleaning out the fridge and working out what to do with all the food I have to make meals for the week so as not to not waste food. I now have a list on the fridge of meals I can make and lunches that can be made from what is there. Each night I will add another list of what I will eat the next day. I will be pleased when soup and stew weather comes - makes it all a bit more straightforward

I have made a nice within plan dinner tonight and I decided I needed to make something I enjoyed (I listened to the Diet Fix clip thanks onebyone) so I made a baked apple - haven't had one for years and it will be a healthy sugar free treat. I decided to spend time trying to work out what the important elements of on-plan for me were so that I can then report them daily. I will drop some off as they improve

Credits
Ate on plan today - 100%
Planned food for tomorrow - almost
I logged food as I ate it - yes
Weighed in and logged weight - up 1.8 pounds
I did planned exercises - yes
I didn't eat standing up - 90%
I checked in with my diet coaches - Yes
I changed my schedule to allow time for diet and exercise - yes

I think they are the main ones for me at the moment

BillBE - smart choices at lunch. Once a month I have a Ruben at a farmers market. Well I share a Ruben with a friend because it is huge - and it is bread - but it is delicious and worth waiting a month for. Credit for planned exercise

6crowsgold - Huge credit for being on plan and for recording food - hope your long weekend turns out well

Gardenerjoy - sorry for stomach issues and allergies

flnu - sensible to recognise that each day's exercise is different. YAY for down 3.5 pounds!! Ouch for taking that as an OK to eat! Fingers crossed for continuing reducing weight. Yes - it is nice to see people make it and manage to maintain isn't it [yes it is the xame motivation app that CeeJay and Onebyone are using - I like it. It seems to be increasing my motivation to clean and get organised at the moment but I am sure that will affect being on plan soon ]

Debbie - congrats on the DGS - a new phase I imagine

Maryann - salads and smoothies - sounds good to me. I just ordered a magic bullet type thingy because my blender isn't doing the job. I do like smoothies. Hope you get rid of those pounds soon

Onebyone - thanks for the link - it was interesting. I remember when you made an appointment to see him and then didn't go. Who knows if that was a good or a bad thing because you seem in a pretty good place right now

Tricia - Glad you have got your weight-loss mojo back. I like the idea of focussing on one pound at a time. I am rethinking my calories too - I think I need 1200 where I was at 1500 before - will see if there is a change when I actually stick to it.

Nationalparker - Ouch for a doughnut box trying to derail you. Enjoy your neighbours and your saved calories

CeeJay - Huge credit for 7 DAYS ON PLAN! - that is an inspiration and encouragement - for you and for me. I need to begin to reach out and that is good to see
Old 03-22-2014, 05:42 AM   #198  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was only walking to the subway when DW and I went out last night. CREDIT moi for what I did, including stairs instead of escalator for a steep climb. At the supermarket, I was confronted by huge Easter candy displays of quart sized (although hollow) milk chocolate eggs. Fortunately, I'm no longer drawn to milk chocolate and the dark chocolate is hidden in the candy isle which is easy to avoid.

The challenge was dinner, left over corned-beef and cabbage. After eating the proper sized plate served by DW, she suggested that I 'finish off' the several small pieces of corned-beef remaining. I do love the stuff and was tempted. Then remembered that I'm trying to stay my path; then remembered that I'd love a corned-beef sandwich for lunch today. So, I put it in the fridge and it's now waiting for today's lunch. CREDIT moi for confronting the thought that over eating stuff that I like wouldn't matter.

onebyone – Thanks for the The Diet Fix doctor's link.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Ouch for a stomach in need. Kudos for sticking with your exercise streak anyway.

CeeJay - Seven Kudos for your streak of "really, really on plan" days

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Congrats Grandma-to-be on the occasion of seeing your DGS by sonogram. I'm jealous of your cigarette-lighter air compressor.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Ouch for being "flummoxed" despite my joy at such a delicious word. Kudos for doing a baked apple to get back on track.

maryann - "Transitive verb your nouns," he said self-referentially. Thanks for "I continue to track, salad and smoothie" - somebody's gotta expand this language. [Touching image of you and DS dancing to Frozen - that just clicked into my library request.]

ladym0208 – Just stellar that you're visiting a new country and remaining on your path - despite the smell of fresh baked goods from the nearby boulangerie.

nationalparker – Interesting that you note that the "white box from the donut shop" was the trigger - our brains know where the food is hidden. Sounds like you're in full recovery from that.

janelle (shcirerf) - LOL at "sick cats and grumpy dogs" - sounds like my workplace (even though surrounded by humans).

Tricia (AZtricia) - One pound a week is a sustainable rate.

flnu - Yep, believe - the 160's are coming; Congrats for getting so close. Tiramisu is just evil - the presentation sucks me in. You've got me so drooling for Pomelo salad. What's not to like in that set of ingredients?

6crowsgold - LOL at 4 dogs that "don't do weather." Kudos for your consistency recording calories.

Readers -
Quote:
day 13 Overcome Cravings

Anti-Craving Strategies - Behavioral Techniques
If you're still tempted to eat something you shouldn't after you've done all five mindset techniques, then try as many of the behavior techniques below as you need:

3. Relax. You can teach your body how to relax in a variety of ways. Your library or bookstore has tapes and books on relaxation techniques. One simple relaxation technique involves focusing on your breathing. Breathe in and out of your nose, slowly counting to four as you inhale and again to four as you exhale. Use very shallow breaths; don't let your chest rise and fall. Set a time and keep up this technique for a full three minutes. At the end of the three minutes, you should feel calmer and more in control of your cravings.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 131.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 03-22-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #199  
Green Tomatoes

My tummy is much improved -- thanks for all the get well wishes!

WI: -1.00 kg, Exercise: +50 1090/1500 minutes for March, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 03-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #200  

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

A Happy Saturday to All!

Weigh-In was a disappointment, 1/2 pound up after a "perfect" week.
What was good about the week is:

1) Wrote every single calorie down and stayed in limits
2) I feel less sluggish
3) The Big Picture is that I've lost a pound a week for the last three weeks.

This is success.

flnu: These days fountain pens can range from "Old School" to "Cutting Edge". I'm saving my High-Tech pen for the Tech Desk!

maryann The avatar is a closeup of a crow who got very close to the lens. They like shiny things!

Friday Night's Movie was "Mr Phillips". Wow-so exciting, I didn't even want to snack!
Old 03-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #201  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Sabotage, darned sabotage for want to stronger language. I had a good week and what else is there to do? Continue doing well or make less-than-stellar choices? Made a large breakfast and planned to just have a snack before a late dinner after the show. Instead, I've had oh, 20 pistachios ...100 cal of cheese, my leftover mexican chicken/rice, um... a maple cream egg (don't even ASK but it's the best 110 calories I can think of ...) I can't remember what else but clearly not tracking it all today. FINALLY got my head on straight - after finding a bin of jeans from a few years ago that are about 15 pounds from fitting. Or a whole heckuva lot of walking/toning - and have made a cup of hot tea.

Looking forward to dressing up more and looking better in my clothes.

I'd wanted to go see two movies this weekend, somehow forgetting about the show! I'm looking forward to the Grand Budapest Hotel and Tim's Vermeer. Not sure if we'll splurge that much for first run tickets or wait for one to come to DVD.

DH has undertaken a big project to add more storage areas in our attic and has been working very hard for hours up there. I can hear the steady sawing and hammering. Woodworking jobs have better sounds than housecleaning. Sounds like you're working way harder.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #202  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Happy Saturday Coaches.

My left side is feeling toasted from walking around the street fair with dh. On the other side we were able to mostly walk in the shade! Today has been busy, but OP. After smelling all the BBQ at the fair, we made some at home for dinner. Went to the market and obtained food that will last most of the week.

Tomorrow is a picnic that I can't skip as I'm helping host with the other board members. The food is pot luck and I need a plan! This will be the first time since Christmas I've been around such quantities and varieties of food, and I did not do well resisting then! I have to bring a main dish and dessert...so I need to get baking. Also we have the 2nd (of 9 wks) of the seminar in the morning and have to be out early.

flnu Thanks for the shoulder credit. I don't always do well giving credit - great reminder!

Lexxiss/ Debbie Congrats on the new lil' guy! Kudos for raking exercise

maryann Great new verbs Kudos for logging.

nationalparker
Don't be too hard on yourself. A donut box sitting out when you are under so much stress is bound to have pull. I don't think your commitment is missing, your resistance muscle is just weaker than you need. Next time, read your ARC's and stick the box in a cabinet, or better yet the freezer. LOL about the wood working sounds Hope the jeans are a great motivation for you. Did you make an ARC for them?

CeeJay Hurray for 7 OP days!

ladym0208 Awesome that you were OP during your busy days!

GosfordGirl/Cheryl I'm proof positive that pizza does not have to be a disaster. We have it every week! If you want it, plan for it, and work your other meals around pizza for the day. I am trying to make sure all the changes I make are lifelong. I am SO NOT eliminating pizza for the rest of my life. I know you feel bad, but please forgive yourself and keep on keeping on!

BillBlueEyes Loved reading about your leftovers becoming lunch - great choice!

gardenerjoy So glad you are feeling better!

6crowsgold A pound a week is AWESOME! Don't be discouraged by one off weigh in.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #203  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

Ditto to Nationalparker. Just read her post. That describes my eating afternoon. I was doing so well. I had packed breakfast, lunch and prepared dinner early this morning because DS wrestling tourney started at 6:15. Although DS won his first match, he was decimated int he second and third and very upset. He (we)worked through it then I came home and ate my emotions into numbness. I was only one pound from ticker this morning. High hopes. Credit for stopping. Credit for posting here.

Drat!

Last edited by maryann; 03-22-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:03 PM   #204  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Well, ended the day in the same fashion. After a hilarious show (you were right, Maryann - Defending the Caveman was funny!), we bypassed the pizza spot because folks were waiting outside for tables inside to open up. With a completely wide open agenda, I picked a small pub a way from all the action that we'd not been to before. I ordered - of ALL THINGS - a chicken salad sandwich. I've not had that from a restaurant in 12-15 years. I don't like mayo and esp don't like it when I'm not the one controlling how little goes into something. and raisins and I pictured a pineapple ring on a chicken breast, until I spoke the words when ordering it. Then I said What in the heck was I thinking? It said chicken salad with pineapple and celery one meal or one day won't totally ruin my efforts. But in my mind I'm fearing that exact thing.

Maryann - we're both back on track on Sunday with no head-bashing.

AzTricia - Good words on pizza - I LOVE it and I can count the Trader Joe's one I especially like ... I look forward to it and savor it. I wish I could hide the donuts but they're brought in to work! Typically they don't bother me, but every now and then... Good idea on the jeans ARC. I'd forgotten I had an old Gap pair that I used to feel sexy in.

Now here's hoping that the excess calories today will just kick my metabolism up a bit wishful thinking.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #205  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello Coaches,

Quick check in to report another day on plan. Grateful.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:51 AM   #206  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Sunday night

Coaches

Quick check in - I have finished my work but now need to get organised and fed. The discussions have been helpful thanks - particularly the idea that I can have "treats" or "off plan food" as long as I plan for them (thanks everyone and Tricia).

Credits
Ate on plan today - 100%
Planned food for tomorrow - yes
I logged food as I ate it - not yet
Weighed in and logged weight - down 1.4 pounds
I did planned exercises - yes - dog walk and get up from desk occasionally
I didn't eat standing up - 100%
I checked in with my diet coaches - Yes
Listened to motivation recording - yes x 2
I changed my schedule to allow time for diet and exercise - schedule was to sit at desk all day which I accomplished

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 03-23-2014 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Forgot a credit I want to track
Old 03-23-2014, 06:12 AM   #207  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – At Trader Joe's the FREE sample was pizza with a fresh tomatoes topping. Passed, CREDIT moi - unplanned and I have no need for gratuitous foods. The next FREE sample was a chunk of dark chocolate bark with nuts. Ouch - my thing. Hardly rare or unusual, but seriously desirable. But, not on plan. So, I took a piece in its little paper cup and placed it in my coat pocket to plan it for afternoon snack. A winning idea - I had resisted spontaneously scarfing down candy while preserving the chance to have a bite. At home DW spotted it, "What's this?" Darn, I thought, remembering that I wanted the whole thing, deserved the whole thing, and was already drooling over the whole thing. Then remembered that I'd been married for several decades and wasn't going to get away with what I wanted at this moment. "You're welcome to a bite," I said with forced sincerity. She did - adding, "You know I keep a stash of dark chocolate hidden." "I do, kindly keep it hidden," although I knew exactly where.

In the afternoon it was a deserved snack - a planned deserved snack. Hardly enough calories in the piece left. She'd taken a small bite - apparently she, too, has been married for several decades and knew what she could get away with. Small calories but enough positive points on two fronts worthy of celebration. CREDIT moi for threading the needle.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Good news on the tummy. Yay-Ouch for the Kg that went with it. I'll focus on that being permanent.

CeeJay - This on plan thing seems to just keep happening - Kudos.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Neat that you recognize that you have to change your schedule for exercise to happen.

maryann - Kudos to DS for choosing a mother who'll help him work through a real life disappointment. And Kudos to you for giving yourself credit "for stopping."

nationalparker – Yep, noisy work gets more credit, LOL. Kudos for recovery with an Extra Kudos for using the image of the desired jeans to focus the brain. That chicken salad sandwich is so yesterday.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Hope the seminar goes well today. Kudos for smelling the BBB at the fair without grabbing some.

6crowsgold - Kudos for recognizing that your credits mean "This is success" despite the scale wiggle slightly up.

Readers -
Quote:
day 13 Overcome Cravings

Anti-Craving Strategies - Behavioral Techniques
If you're still tempted to eat something you shouldn't after you've done all five mindset techniques, then try as many of the behavior techniques below as you need:

4. Distract yourself. Do you remember a time when a natural distraction interrupted your craving and you later were glad you hadn't eaten? Maybe a friend called, the dog insisted on taking you for a walk, or your boss came to discuss something with you? By the time you finished what you had to do, your craving had weakened or passed. You focused your attention on something else.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 131.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 03-23-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #208  

Default Saturday

Hi Coaches,

I hope you are all having a lovely Sunday. Yesterday was a good day for me, I spent it exploring Kigali and getting used to the transport system here. I never (ever) thought I would but I am really enjoying eating salads at the moment, as the diet here is quite carb heavy, having salad is a real luxury so I make sure to take the chance every time its available.

My credits for yesterday
- Completing my Insanity fit test and seeing further improvements
- I planned to have a pastry after dinner, this can sometimes be risky but I was happily satisfied with just the one and had no desire to get more food
- Getting off the bus a few stops early, which turned out to be a 20 min walk

BillBlueEyes Well done for resisting, good idea for saving the choc for your planned snack
GosfordGirl Well done for sticking with your to do list and for being OP
CeeJay Well done for another OP day
nationalparker One day shouldn't ruin your efforts it's consistency that matters most
AZtricia Well done for being OP when busy, Good luck with the picnic..seen as you are bringing a main dish maybe bring something that will keep you OP and stick with that when you are there. If there is salad then maybe top up with that & try to get away from the food by being involved with any games/ activities that are going on

Have a lovely Sunday all xx
Old 03-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #209  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation Changing things up.

Coaches

I've been reading The Diet Fix and will be adding it to my regime, which is now new and improved, its the SpringPlan I guess. *credit for being open to change vs.giving up.

I am 267 this morning, up from yesterday's 265. *credit for weighing. I won't be weighing for a few days now. Today I am cleaning up the kitchen and buying good food for us. Always a pleasure. That it's sunny (but not warm) makes me feel a smidge hopeful. Since the 17th I have been unable to have an on-plan day. Each day since then I have had too much something or something not on my plan and some days I have not tracked at all -50% of the days I have not tracked at all. I've missed some check-ins here as well and tomorrow I see the trainer who is due to weigh me in and
I may be down 4lbs or something. I anticipate her being disappointed in me. I anticipate me being upset. What I have decided to do is to shelve the next 2 or 3 appt I have set up with her and to postpone them until the fall. I need to get into a routine with the gym again and now these sessions are not helpful. I have plenty of routines to choose from, made just for me, and I can use them for the next few months and not get bored. I just need to do things differently now, again.

So that's how I am today. And now I'm heading out. Bye!
Old 03-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #210  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Good morning,

Things are going great here. I will be finished 10 days on plan Monday night and will weigh myself Tuesday. Then I will start another 10 days. Super excited about how things are going for me.

Credits today-- so far so good:

planning food for the day
eating a healthy breakfast and recording it
doing arm/shoulder exercises
checking in with my coaches
reading response and advantage cards
listening to motivation tape

ladym0208-so wonderful to hear about Africa. Nice list of credits yesterday.

BillBlueEyes- loved your exploration of the marital dynamics in navigating chocolate bark. Very funny.

GosfordGirl-I am finding calorie counting working well for me instead of my usual approach of deciding never, ever, ever to eat anything on a huge list of food that is higher calories again. I always mess up with that approach. Now I am trying to practice what I read in The Diet Fix- be very aware of how many calories that have been consumed for the day and use the "is it worth it?" test if looking at something that will bring calories over my daily goal. Sometimes it is going to be worth it. Maybe it is more reasonable to know that some days are going to be higher calorie and accept that is not "failing the diet". Nice list of credits yesterday and yay for 1.4 pounds down!

nationalparker- sorry for your lousy day and for sure chicken salad will definitely not ruin your efforts.

shcirerf- nice to meet you. Always love to hear the wisdom of maintainers.

onebyone- thanks for the link- going to listen today.

maryann- credit for posting, stopping eating and moving on.

AZtricia- best of luck at the picnic. We are sitting at -20 C this morning so hard to imagine where you are. Enjoy!

6crowsgold- nice to feel less sluggish- I am getting there too.

gardenerjoy- glad you are feeling better.

Lexxiss- waving hello. Sounds like you are in spring mode with activities. Can't wait for that. Wonderful news about the baby.

flnu- wow for down 3.5 pounds. Fantastic. I agree it is wonderful to be here and be reminded that some people do do it.
Closed Thread