Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #241  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I’ve been blowing hot and cold on my healthy eating lately – either I’m 100% on plan or I’m hardly on plan at all. That’s not a good pattern for me. I have most success when I’m putting together 80% and 90% days for weeks and weeks on end, with only the occasional 100% day and the rare 70% day to interrupt the streak. That’s probably the next streak I’ll track – see how many days I can put together that are 80% or above.

3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 19 Credit!
WI: +0.15 kg, Exercise: +60 1045/1400 minutes for February, Food: 40%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: Elementary sounds fun -- thanks!

LoseToAll and nationalparker: I've worked on my salads. The way I'd take on a new hobby -- I am an artist and salad is my medium. In the winter, lettuce is often over-priced and not as good, so I usually switch to cabbage salads. Cabbage seems to have the same flavor all year round and it's cheap in the winter, right through St. Patrick's Day! Another advantage to cabbage salads is that you can fix a big batch, complete with dressing, and it just gets better in the fridge for several days. I'll put a recipe in our recipe thread later today.

FutureFitChick (aka Easter Bunny Slayer): love that story! But I'm sure it was horrifying and mortifying when it happened.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #242  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Hello coaches,
Missed yesterday's check in, but all is fine. OP for food and exercise. Funny timing, after complaining that my weight loss doesn't show, two people commented yesterday.

Maryann: I also don't have any experience with alcoholism, but have tried a couple kinds of antidepressants and my experience is not as happy as flnu. What happened for me is like an "awakening" and enlarging of my capacity for socialization increasing over a couple months then a dwindling to worse than where I started and onset of compulsive behavior and ADD. So if what your doc tries doesn't work like you like or continue to work, make sure you let them know!!! What has finally worked for me is supplementing "good bacteria" because your gut makes a LOT of the hormones that antidepressants will cause to recirculate (serotonin, melatonin...). I supplement with a good quality refrigerated version and it took a couple months, but my skin is healthier and I feel better. I have also cut all processed sugar products from my diet because they feed the yeast in the gut causing the yeast/bacteria balance to be unfavorable. I started learning about the gut/emotions through Dianne Craft.

Last edited by AZtricia; 02-22-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #243  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was disastrous with food. I started to reintroduce dairy, thought the yoghurt would taste great with some dark chocolate in it and ended up making lemon bars with a ton of sugar, eggs and butter. The thought process that linked those events is a fascinating example of the addictive mind. Drat!!

Back OP this morning. I have committed a sane food plan to My Fit Pal. Exercise is yoga. The two pounds showing on the scale this morning is just information even though it makes me afraid I am gaining back all that I have lost. That is not a fact. It is just a feeling and I will move on. The reason I weigh everyday is to adjust my behavior before I gain everything back.

Nationalparker: Enjoy the weekend.

BethFromDayton: I don't know how you stay in the kitchen.Credit to you.

Ceejay: I say that a lot to myself. "Stop eating right now."

Ladym0208: Ironic that bureaucracy can stop a teacher a half a world away just like it often stops me.

seadwaters: credit for "sticking to it!"

Lexxiss: Super credit about your weight when it is still so busy in your life.

BBE: I drool over your rain description. Farmers round here were just notified they will only receive 40% of their water.

flnu and AZTricia: I so appreciate both of your stories regarding antidepressants. It shows there is a solution for each individual. The key, as you both said, is to keep reaching out for help and information without fear or prejudice (which is my greatest barrier). That is my goal to keep up the conversation with my family and doctors. My first step is to get clean with my food so it is not a factor.

Last edited by maryann; 02-22-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #244  
Rosebud170

S/C/G: 311/208/176

Hello coaches! I have had 2 days of OP eating and exercising with unplanned snacks at the end of the day. The scale sits in the same place it has been for a few weeks now. It could be worse. I am viewing it as a period of maintenance before moving down again. I have been off work all week so I look forward to the structure of work days to help me get back to it!! Today is rest day for P90x3 but I am doing a walk with my friend while our daughters are in dance classes for an hour and a half. I am in a new block of P90x3 which means several new workouts. I loved them all. Yesterday was a martial arts inspired thing and the day before was the "incinerator" which I was a bit nervous to do. I am loving the variety if the workouts and how sore my upper body is...feels like I am doing stuff that I needed to do! And.....I can do 3 full body push ups and stay I. Plank position a bit longer each time I am asked to do so by Tony Horton p90x3 guy.... The other thing that is really working right now is the daily use of my nutribullet! I have been having green smoothies for breakfast each day and look forward to them and the feeling I get having had them. Using a reg blender works just fine but the clean up w the nutribullet is NOTHING and makes it a doable/desire able option for me in the mornings!

I am going to also make some new advantages for having lost a good amount of weight and also for losing more in the future. Brilliant idea!

Have a wonderful Saturday everyone....
Old 02-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #245  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking streak goes to 5

Coaches

My mood is light as I enjoyed having a free and clear kitchen table last night, with a candlelit dinner made from scratch, no dishes to worry over and this morning sitting at the table, listening to a favorite podcast while I chopped veggies for my soup which I will consume over the next 3 days. AWESOME morning! *credit* My 2 movies ina row reward is set: movie 1=The Lego Movie and movie 2=Robocop. I like the 2inarow movies to be diametrically opposed to one another. This comes from seeing THREE movies ina row when I worked for the cinemas and we could see movies for free (us plus a guest). The study in audiences was as interesting as the movies themselves--sometimes more interesting as some movies, well, you wonder when the makers and those involved realize they are in a bonafide turkey. This is another thing I like to mull over.

Anyway, today I tried a new soup recipe from the current Vegetarian Times magazine and posted the recipe in our thread for that. It tastes good... and that you can use any veggies is even better. It's also really fast if you don't count the chopping of veggies. I LOVE this Thai Chicken Soup they make at a grocery store. It's full fat though and I need to find a decent homemade version. This one is certainly lighter and fits my plan perfectly. I've even frozen the half of the coconut milk I didn't use as the label said I could and so I anticipate making this again very soon.

Today I continue to declutter--focusing on the dining room I didn't get to yesterday. It will be fabulous to have that room in order. I can hardly wait.

*credits*
-tracking my food
-cooking from scratch
-persisting with the decluttering
-abstaining from sugar - streak goes to 5
-checking in here
-weighing today (+0.2 = 268.3 I still qualify for my goal reward! Woot!Woot!)

maryann Drat is right. My addictive mind knows no limits and only wants m-o-r-e. Never satisfied. BIG CREDIT for hopping back on plan right away. I was listening to a podcast where they spoke to a Californian who is gold panning as the rivers are so very low in California. He's pulling out 3/4oz of gold with a shovel and a pan--very low tech = $750 or so. He said there's a mini gold rush happening due to the low water levels and so accessibility to the river's bottom is not hard. When asked he said those rivers should be 6-10 feet deep, and instead they are 8 to 10 INCHES. I also heard the fed govt isn't bailing out California water-wise. I don't know. Seems to me in this era of we-get-our-food-shipped-to-us-and-don't-grow-it-ourselves this water crisis there will most likely impact me and everyone else reading this. Pretty serious stuff--and way way worse for those of you who actually have to live through it. I hope the rains come.

AZtricia Yay for good days! Excellent!

gardenerjoy It's difficult for me to walk the middle line too. I resonate with the all or nothingness way of being. I think it's brilliant to count the 80%days. I think that's pretty much the way we get things done--80% at a time. I'm looking for good salad recipes too and will encourage you to post some cabbage salad ones in the recipe thread. Let me know if you see an episode of Elementary. Would love to hear your thoughts.

flnu I LOVE the idea of thinking of yourself as Godzilla making mere mortals flee! How powerful! How freeing! Congrats on your new speed record.

BillBlueEyes Wow Mary Travers was influenced by Gurdjieff and that's a shadow behind the story of Mary Poppins. Whoddathunkit?? I had a friend ages ago who followed Gurdjieff. He seems to be "out" as a philosophy/er right now. Perhaps I am wrong. Wonder if this will revive interest in that? Thank you for these thoughts and ponderings today.

Lexxiss Wishing you energy for a good productive day today at work and at your work site. *credit* for not wasting energy freaking out over the sudden work schedule change and instead going with the flow. An example for me to remember.

seadwaters Thank you for the mackerel recipe. I made it once according to instructions given to me by "the fish guy", Andy, who came from the east coast of canada. he knew his fish and I wanted to get it into my life. The mackerel I used was not a steak but a whole fish, without the head, and it was striped and it was good! It may have simply been pan fried in oil with salt and pepper. I've never repeated it as I never wrote the recipe or instructions down... so I will try yours!

ladym0208 I read your posts with awe. I cannot imagine Africa or being there or anything like what you are doing let alone using Beck and doing Insanity and having Snickers bars available... What I am wondering is, could you post a picture of your landscape? As an artist I would really love to see something "from there" even if it looks just like here! If you can't that's ok. I'm still in awe that you post from there.

CeeJay Looking forward to hearing how you did last night and whether The Kitchen Is Closed sign went up. *credit* for posting. Good to hear from you.

bethFromDayton Sorry to hear you are struggling a bit with cravings for off plan food, plus that toe would really bug me too. I totally relate to a loss of motivation to continue on my foodplan after reaching a goal or whenever something feels "good enough" to me and it feels like so much effort to get to the end. What can I say? In my experience, when I slack off, when I let the food go, I gain it back. I have done it over and over and over again. I NEVER stay still, never hold the line, I gain it back. Not saying this will be your experience or even mine going forward. It's why my personal line for myself is "persist in victory". Don't let it go tiny bit by tiny bit. Make a conscious decision to either keep going/re-dedicate to a foodplan of your choosing or re-frame what you are doing as "maintenance" where the goal is to stay at your current weight. You've done AMAZING! *credit* for all your successes!

nationalparker I haven't taken the time to tell you how very sorry I am to hear of your father's diagnosis. And that he cares from your mom must raise a torrent of uncertainty about the future in you and how best to care for yourself and your own family plus your parents. It is enough to make ME want to pull covers over my head and hide and I have only my mother to deal with now. I am glad to hear you have some time for yourself this weekend. I hope you can do something that makes you laugh out loud.
Nothing feels better to me than a real laugh.

to everyone I missed. I gotta get moving....

Last edited by onebyone; 02-22-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #246  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Sunday afternoon

Hi Coaches

I am posting early because I know I will be even more caught up later - this could of course merely be more avoidance!

Credits so far: Walked the dogs; had planned to go to the gym but that isn't going to happen - not sure what I was thinking yesterday when I planned that; have written out all my food for the day and logged it in MFP so I don't have to think about what to eat; weighed and logged weight; checked in with coaches; planned food for work tomorrow - on a campus where I can buy healthy choices so don't need to also prep food for tomorrow.

I have read all your posts but I am sorry that I don't have time to acknowledge all your successes and credits, all the struggles and insights I read about - it is a great group of striving people. I do have to say that over here we have both the Sherlocks! They are both quite different renderings and it is way out of my area of expertise the critique them. But I love them both and they are both currently back on

Onebyone - your enthusiasm and joy fairly leaps off the page and gave me such pleasure to read. Thanks for the recipe - will give it a go when it is a bit cooler. I love asian flavours. The cabbage salads that Gardenerjoy put up are a regular as well

Back to work
Old 02-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #247  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtricia View Post
What has finally worked for me is supplementing "good bacteria" because your gut makes a LOT of the hormones that antidepressants will cause to recirculate (serotonin, melatonin...). I supplement with a good quality refrigerated version and it took a couple months, but my skin is healthier and I feel better. I have also cut all processed sugar products from my diet because they feed the yeast in the gut causing the yeast/bacteria balance to be unfavorable. I started learning about the gut/emotions through Dianne Craft.
I second this - had all sorts of problems once upon a time with antidepressants (used for menopause and to stop smoking) and couldn't get off them. The gut does have a huge role indeed in the production of feel-good hormones and needs that happy little microbiome to stay healthy. Hence - all this fermenting of foods I am doing!

Keep well all
Old 02-22-2014, 08:33 PM   #248  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I feel like a hypocrite. I KNOW what I need to do and yet today, I chose several snacks that I didn't need. I had another small lunch and think I'm giving myself permission to eat more to make up for the calories I didn't eat. Today I surpassed what a normal lunch would have been by about 250-300 extra calories by the time I added in my snacks. Argh. Not a disaster, but not smart. Scale has bounced up back into the 170s and this should be the alarm bell, but in a way in my mind, I expected it and it seems like it was unavoidable. Not so, I know. Dinner was on track - so day was not a wash.

Went clothes shopping today for some work clothes. Bought one dress in the same 14 that I've been... maybe back to 12s by the summer. Left the house feeling okay, and then when I looked in the mirror when out, I looked like a frump. I would love to be one who could match clothes/styles/accessories to be more flattering. I have to work a week-long golf event this spring, and DH asked me what I'm wearing to work it each day ... that got me thinking - ack! I need to have enough things that are do-able for hot weather, golf course appropriate, fit well, and are comfortable. And footwear.

Market errands tomorrow ... need to do week's meal plan. Lately, I've come home from work and just not wanted to cook/clean at ALL.

Bill - your streak continues to amaze me. Especially when I'm not able to get the Day One going Like your analogy of the torrential rains!

Maryann - Hopefully your day today was a better one. If not, (well, even if so!) I'll team up with you for a super successful Sunday.

OneByOne - Love your idea of your back-to-back movie reward. What a fun day. Thank you for your kind words. Now you have me thinking of splurging tomorrow with a matinee alone.

GardenerJoy - thank you for the idea of cabbage. DH loves it, while I seem to only like it in coleslaw. He's not a salad guy, so this might add a lure for him. I like your idea of tracking different things - 80% "on" days, etc.

Seadwaters - For some reason, I have trouble recognizing that you're in summer, while we're in winter! Good thing I'm not a teacher Kudos for your dogwalking!
Old 02-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #249  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

OK, quick Saturday check in:
Just finished cleaning up 2 chickens I cooked on our grill rotisserie, bought lots of groceries that will all be gone by Friday, and did my exercise DVD.

Had a good day for food and exercise. Need to go get kiddos started on bed time routines and prep breakfast for the morning. Will read and do personals tomorrow.

Wishing y'all a wonderful weekend!
Old 02-23-2014, 12:18 AM   #250  

Good morning coaches...

another OP day for me yesterday, was again a little challenging to stay OP as I found out that another of my family members got taken into hospital back home in the UK, my mum has been in for a few weeks also. They are both doing well which is why I haven't ended my trip early but it is still quite challenging being so far away...it's also weird noticing what sabotaging thoughts can come up around this as well, like 'it's selfish to be focusing on your weight loss now & is it really that important' or 'you're obsessing over your weight a bit too much' to name a few. But I know they're all lies and I need to keep my eyes on the prize...

Credits
- leaving food on my plate at dinner, I was eating a food that I've struggled with in the past and thought it best to stay in control this way
- Day 6 of Insanity
- Treating myself to a movie to cheer myself up

onebyone Thank you so much for your kind words they really made me smile.Here is a link to my blog "www dot rwandandiaries dot weebly dot com" I have put quite a few pictures on there, there are slideshows at the bottom of a few posts that have some pictures of the lake...enjoy. I was so pleased to see Snickers bars here too I haven't posted enough on here to post links or pictures just yet
maryann It really is quite a challenge and also a real shame

Happy Sunday all xx
Old 02-23-2014, 12:28 AM   #251  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Technically missed yesterday's post, but I am here checking in. OK day, but a bit anxiety producing. Food was fine. I was not good at getting my PT in.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:00 AM   #252  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

I am just posting to say I'm here and to commit to being back on track from right now. I have had a really rough weekend - the stressful stuff consumed me and for the first time in probably a year i couldn't find a way to feel ok about it all. I seem to be out of the cave now though, but feeling a bit emotionally bruised and battered. I have not been following my plan but overall i don't think i have done too much damage on the food front. On the whole i didn't use food as comfort so that is a good thing. Drowned myself in iPad games instead!

I haven't read lots of the posts but i did see a question from Maryann about my frugal living plan. It is great to hear that your frugality is going well. Well done. Mine is going really well too. I have found a great little support gang on MSE and am gradually working my way through the Beck book converting it to money issues. It translates pretty well. Intrestingly i am finding it much, much easier to set new spending habits than i found it settting new food habits. Not sure if that is just a result of practice or that my money issues are not as imbedded as my food issues! It does feeling like i am making life long change though, which is exciting. And in terms of measuring success i have been living within my budget for 2 months now and am managing a time of really tricky cashflow, which i would not have been able to do but for this change. Thank you for asking Maryann - it has been very helpful for my headspace today to stop and think big picture about what i have achieved in that aspect of my life :-)

I will be back with my normal headspace tomorrow :-)
Old 02-23-2014, 05:50 AM   #253  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - Winter Olympics Closing Ceremony

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Lunch was soup and a grilled cheese sandwich - a diversion from my peanut butter and banana sandwich, but planned; no snacks so my streak increments to 95, CREDIT moi. I watched my adult DD leave small parts of the crust of the grilled cheese on her plate. How can anyone leave butter-soaked grilled bread? Wish I'd inherit that gene from her.

Fun walk, CREDIT moi, with DW to see if any birds were out. Most unusual to go two miles without seeing a single bird. The pond we walked around was completely frozen so no water fowl at all. I sat in front of snacks for an hour at an afternoon meeting: dried figs, dried apricots, dark chocolate coated almonds, and nuts. I had tea. Separate CREDIT moi for that alone.

onebyone – The thought of three movies in a row blows my circuits. Thanks for the soup recipe - can't wait to try.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – It's this "blowing hot and cold" that bugs me, also. I wish that I'd lived the past year at a reasonable 90% then I wouldn't have to do my current streak. Thanks for the cabbage contribution to the recipe thread. I didn't know about softening cabbage with salt.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Yay for a campus that offers healthy food. LOL at "happy little microbiome."

FutureFitChick – Kudos for giving yourself credit for an OK day.

maryann - Super painful to read about your water crisis with such a harsh number - 40% water allocation. Thanks for the encouraging "It is just a feeling and I will move on."

ladym0208 – Sending supportive thoughts as you support your mom and relative in the hospital from afar. Thanks for the link to your blog; loved it and especially loved seeing your Lake Kivu. Thought of you as we saw a remarkable musical last night, Witness Uganda - about the "messy" nature of bringing Aid to Africa. Unbelievably moving while still being fun. Hope it has a future so you can get to see it. The choreographer grew up in Harlem where he says everyone dances. They're just expected to as part of their African tradition. He kept the whole cast moving non-stop.

nationalparker – Kudos for thinking about your week long golf event to plan summer clothes. Sometimes "day was not a wash" is a good conclusion.

Rosebud170 – Your "incinerator" exercise sounds frightening. Kudos for three full body push-ups.

ForMyGirls - Ouch for such stressful stuff that you're "feeling a bit emotionally bruised and battered." Kudos for finding a way to sooth yourself and Kudos that it wasn't food. Hope the stress reduces.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Yay for comments to validate that the weight is leaving. Thanks for the "good bacteria" comments; I need encouragement to get into a regular bacteria reinforcement. My yogurt consumption is too occasional.

Godzilla (flnu) - Kudos for an unbroken exercise streak. Interesting to describe anti-depressants as "widening."

Readers -
Quote:
day 12 Practicing Hunger Tolerance

what are you thinking?
Here are some common sabotaging thoughts experienced by dieters who struggle with tolerating hunger. Make Response Cards to read whenever you need them.

Sabotaging Thought: I should eat when I'm hungry. Isn't that what everyone does?
Helpful Response: Most people don't eat every time they're hungry. They wait until their next meal. I need to learn that skill, too.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 125.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:27 AM   #254  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I'm counting down....5 days until my new tenant is in! I have lots to accomplish between now and then and have the energy to do it. I look forward to reconnecting here yet for the time being every single waking moment is focused on "getting out."

3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 20 Credit! Weight is down again (for 2 days) am changing my ticker. Yay!

ladym, I'm sorry to hear you have family medical situations. I don't believe it is insensitive to focus on your healthy habits (ie weightloss) while other situations exist. I call it self care, and it is a daily essential, in my book. Take care.

ForMyGirls, and I look forward to your return here!

nationalparker, when I decided to start "streaking" I purposely decided to not streak with 100% OP days, or anything which required food perfection. My posts here had gotten fewer and fewer as I was consumed with the project and my food planning had gone astray, too. I'm finding alot of success right now with adding up the days of Beck behaviors which aid in my staying as close to plan as possible.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #255  
Green Tomatoes

I think part of the problem with the past two days was that I declared them to be days off. There were certain activities that I didn't schedule into the day and other activities that I did.

I didn't mean to take days off of my food plan. I expected the normal food to be good enough, but apparently some part of me expected something special about that, too.

I have a metaphor that would make healthy food a focus -- I could have called these "spa retreat days" instead of "days off." It would have required more preparation and planning. But not planning extra-healthy special foods didn't work well for me, though, so it would have been worth it.

3Ws (Weigh, Write a food plan, Write a post) streak: 20 Credit!
WI: +0.45 kg, Exercise: +75 1120/1400 minutes for February, Food: 50%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

ladym0208: Sorry about family illnesses happening when you are so far away. That is so difficult. I like Lexxiss's notion of self-care at this time. Thanks for sharing your blog -- love the photos!
Closed Thread