Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:08 PM   #1  
Chick Losing

S/C/G: S/C/G 219.6/199.2/172

Height: 5.5"

Default Living with Alpha Gal!

Hi Everyone
Its a New Year and we all have made our resolutions and started diets and already struggling to stick with it. I myself have done the same. I am trying the DASH Diet. Then it came to me. It DOES not matter what plan we are on, its the fact that we are taking that first step to start or start again. It will be different for each of us. I now have a new obstacle that makes eating in general a STRUGGLE. I have ALPHA GAL. What is Alpha Gal? Allergies to a sugar informally known as alpha-gal.

Quote:
A person who has the alpha-gal allergy doesn’t experience any symptoms until something triggers a reaction. But what was causing people to show up at the ER in the middle of the night? The alarming answer seems to be eating meat from mammals such as beef, lamb and pork. To complicate the situation even further, it doesn’t behave like a typical food allergy. Not only is the reaction delayed, it’s also unpredictable. It doesn’t occur every time you’re exposed to the trigger, and when it does, the reaction can vary each time. If you have the alpha-gal allergy, eating this type of meat is akin to playing Russian Roulette. "Ruth Ann Grissom"
The kicker is that it actually comes from a tick bite.
In short I have to avoid all meats except chicken, turkey or fish. I have learned to live without red meats, it makes me feel so bad. Its just not worth it. To fully understand this allergy see "Alpha Gal syndrome".

Now not only do I need to learn to eat more healthy, its a must. But I still have those cravings for sweets and of course red meat.

Is there anyone else dealing with this?

Last edited by BCL216; 01-06-2014 at 10:13 PM.
BCL216 is offline   Reply With Quote