Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #31  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm reviving my 10 minutes a day practice to tackle this long-term filing project. It's the only thing that's ever worked. I think that if I can manage it 80-90% of the days between now and the vernal equinox, it will be done! And done would be very good indeed.

1-14: done
Old 01-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #32  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Glad to see you back, gardenerjoy! Those short 10 minutes really add up if you log them every day!

onebyone, when you said, "Ok, no progress the last few days" then I read on, I saw lots of progress! Credit.

Me, this is as much of a day off as I get. We're leaving at 10:15 for Denver. Mom has dr appts and DH is going to stay w/his DD and GD. DD is pregnant and hurt her back yesterday. He's going to stay for moral support and babysit when she visits the chiro.

OK, essentials....made the bed as soon as we got up. Laundry and dishes are done.
I took to a project this morning which required sewing machine, right color thread, scissors, hem ripper and SPACE. I had all....I put elbow patches on DH's favorite sweatshirt which made him very happy then I fixed a pair of his long johns, too. I looked to see if I could mend anything for myself and my stuff was already done. credit.

I love love love having time and space to do projects.

Yesterday after work I was headed to the library...remembered a procrastination at city hall. I went to CH first then picked up two nice books. Both chores crossed off my list.

In my "free" time this morning, I also made a double batch of granola, DH's favorite. I can eat it in very limited quantities. I'm out of supplies for more so I made a list and I'll p/u today. That way I'll have it the next time I need it.

Take care all!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #33  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Yesterday was a bugger....long day, lots of driving and lots of emotional stuff. Lots of shopping for stuff we can't get up here. I haven't fully unpacked groceries but all the perishables were taken care of. credit.

We slept in late, which was good because both of us needed rest. We have 4 full days ahead to see how close we can come to finishing the current rental. I found myself drawing from that "determination" I mentioned a day or two ago. I got the dishes done while coffee was making, made the bed while DH was stirring upstairs. I picked up stuff on my back and forth trips up and down stairs. I folded all the clean laundry and put it away. I will be glad when I return home tonight that I found the time.

My extra today is a paperwork thingie that needs a phone call. Once it's done I can file it instead of it sitting by the computer.

I WILL put away dry goods when I return home today. credit.

I always reflect on "why" I am doing these essentials every day, which does, even though I don't mention it, include keeping the kitchen sink clean (alaflylady). Keeping these things current frees me for other things. I honestly don't think my successes at the rentals would have been so great these past 3 months without my determination to keep my own home in order.

Bye-off to project land.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #34  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi DClutterers!

I'm checking in....hoping for some company...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxiss View Post
We have 4 full days ahead to see how close we can come to finishing the current rental. I found myself drawing from that "determination" I mentioned a day or two ago. I got the dishes done while coffee was making, made the bed while DH was stirring upstairs. I picked up stuff on my back and forth trips up and down stairs. I folded all the clean laundry and put it away. I will be glad when I return home tonight that I found the time.

I always reflect on "why" I am doing these essentials every day, which does, even though I don't mention it, include keeping the kitchen sink clean (alaflylady). Keeping these things current frees me for other things. I honestly don't think my successes at the rentals would have been so great these past 3 months without my determination to keep my own home in order.
These past days have been so busy and I haven't found the proper alignment of all the "stars" to post. This is the busiest time at the ski resorts and when all of Denver is pouring in and out of the mountains the cell towers just can't accomodate lil' ol me wanting to get online before I leave or after I get home. Oh, Well.

I quoted from my previous post because it's exactly how I've managed these past 3 days. My essentials have been accomplished every day. Credit.
We've made progress at the project even with an electrical "crisis" of sorts yesterday. It's the first time in months I felt I was near an anxiety attack. We took time to work through the problem and gratefully it is not as bad as it could have been. I am so grateful.
My helper and my DH are both taking today off and I thought about it. Then I looked at the calendar. Our drop dead-line is 31 January AND my siblings fly in for 4 days a week from Monday. By thinking ahead and planning it out I went up early this morning and put the 1st coat of finish on the hardwood floor in the 1 finished bedroom .Credit. It looks good and I can enjoy some "free time" inbetween. My next coat is at 10:30 with the final coat at 4 or 5. That's doable and it's given me back some self confidence after yesterdays temporary setback.

Anyone else doing anything? No matter how small it seems....anything accomplished is progress forward.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:33 AM   #35  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Yes, there are three bags of stuff to go to the charity shop tomorrow. Unwanted Christmas gifts, clothes which have been outgrown, books which we've read and won't again.

I've done all the to-do things which were piled up on the filing cabinet. I've ironed some (summer) clothes which have been waiting for many weeks.

The SO has been at home for both days this weekend and he was last weekend too. This makes all the difference in being able to dig down into things which need to be done rather than just doing the basics along the surface.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #36  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Kudos, silverbirch, and thanks for joining me! I was solo at the project today and when I hit a discouraging moment I checked in and your words AND actions inspired me to carry on. Thanks!
Yes, all those bags carried out move you forward....simplicity is the word that comes to my mind. As the bags go out it will become far simpler to manage the items that stay in your home.
Onward and upward!
Old 01-20-2014, 12:27 AM   #37  

Very quick weekend check-in. The Christmas tree is down The rest of my weekend decluttering time was mostly spent trying to unblock a drain outside - and getting caught back up on laundry (not really decluttering but the laundry spread around the house was very cluttery!). Hoping to get more done next weekend.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:24 AM   #38  
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxiss View Post
Kudos, silverbirch, and thanks for joining me! I was solo at the project today and when I hit a discouraging moment I checked in and your words AND actions inspired me to carry on. Thanks!
Yes, all those bags carried out move you forward....simplicity is the word that comes to my mind. As the bags go out it will become far simpler to manage the items that stay in your home.
Onward and upward!
I agree completely with 'simplicity'. That's what I'm striving for. It makes things much more straightforward and easy. In this very small house it's essential.

Glad I could help out with the rental project! How many more houses to go??

systemsaddict! I quite understand about laundry all over the place. Ours is on the line if possible or corralled in the grand-sounding garden room. Getting a dehumidifier (to help with general damp) has made a big difference to our lives. I think our health is better.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #39  
in development

Just calling in again briefly to thank you, Debbie, for telling us how you do the essentials. I had five minutes before I had to leave for my Italian class this evening. Lasagne in the oven on a timer, fire lit and some washing up still to be done. I set another timer for five minutes and cleared half of it. So when I got in, and the SO had just got in after biking up a freezing hill in the dark and the DB was keen for food, there was a bit of space to dish the food out. And less washing up to do in a moment. Thanks for being a role model!
Old 01-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #40  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Hi all! Vent/rant ahead. I have a clutter issue, but it's not my clutter. It's my 74 yo mothers clutter. OMG! It's quickly turning into a hoarding situation!

And now, my 96 yo grandmother has gone to the nursing home, and well it's a mess.

Gramma's house is actually fairly neat and clean, but my sisters and I know, that Mom is going to want all the pics and old letters and so on. That's fine, but she has no where to put it because here house is overflowing!

Anyway, we did get Gramma's bed, which is better than Mom's switched for Mom's old crappy one. And Mom willingly sorted through all her clothes, and got rid of some stuff.

But it's all the d**n paper. EVERYWHERE! She's a retired librarian, books, newspapers magazines, and on and on. She saves old papers and mags, because she might want to read something again, and never gets rid of a book. We offered to get her a Kindle. YOu'd have thought we asked her to cut off her left leg! She wants to hold the *book* and turn the pages, we told her a Kindle will make a swoosh sound when you swipe for the next page.

So, Saturday afternoon, myself and one of my sisters, were spiffing up the kitchen, and Mom is like "you don't have to do that." Me, "yes I do, it's a mess, you can't see the counter, and all this clutter, drives me NUTS!" "You can't find anything." And the toaster had so many crumbs in it, it was a major fire hazard!

And Mom says, "it doesn't bother me." She actually said she simply did not care about the mess. *rolls eyes*

Her explanation was, and she said this! In a former life, she was rich and had servants and in this life, as an only child, her Mom did everything, and she does not like to do housework and does not care if it's a mess.

She was sorta joking about the former life. She's not totally nuts, but I think she has invented that as a hall pass.
Toss in her bad back, and Vicadin. Yay!

And then she used to toll paint so the basement is full of old wood, and paint and pattern books, and brushes, that half is a trail from here to there. The bedroom down there is full of crap. The laundry room is a heebie jeebie jumble of antique Tupperware, and long unused stock pots, and dust bunnies the size of buffalo! Along with at least 4 extra coffee pots, and another several extra glass carafes, just in case the one she is using takes a dive or she breaks a pot.

And her dog has been sneaking down to the basement and pooping in the bedroom.

So, now that we have to get things squared away with Gramma's property, it's game on. THe physical part of this mess is up to me and my 2 sisters, and we will willingly do it. But, along with Gramma's, we've got to get Mom's dunged out as well.

The thing is, since Gramma is on Medicare/Medicade, there is a time limit to get her home cleaned out and sold. So, we're now "game on!"

My sisters and I are more than willing to do all of this, but getting Mom on board with some things is going to be an issue!

It's not that I'm not sentimental, and I do understand saving certain things, but not all of it for the love of God!
Old 01-20-2014, 09:13 PM   #41  
GlenwoodHotSprings

It's amazing what one can accomplish in 5 minutes! I use the timer quite often.

This morning I accomplished my essentials despite running behind. What was left to do was clear off the kitchen counters. DH was home sick and I told myself he would feel better when he came downstairs. I believe he did.

I did some project organizing from work. I have the next few days mapped out. I will probably not post tomorrow. I'm going to work at the restaurant, come home for dinner then go to the project to put finish on floors in 3 bedrooms. Don't want such a long day but its the only choice to stay on schedule. I'm taking it one day at a time.

I will, however, find time for coffee, some quiet time and for my essentials. Credit

Tonight I counted the seconds it took me to put away my condiments from dinner. It was under a minute. I did it while food was already plated. Much easier than in the morning.

Ton
Old 01-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #42  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hello!

My second project is finished and the new tenants moved in yesterday. I continue to keep up with my daily chores because I want to keep the new life I've been granted through decluttering. Saturday the DD and family decided they were coming up to make us dinner, since I had been working so much. They had already arrived when I pulled in. The house wasn't perfect but my 3 essentials were done and made things look pretty good.

I have one more project to go. We've moved all our materials over. We're taking about a week off inbetween.

I'm not going to post here anymore. That is, unless someone shows up who is interested in daily accountability and daily action. I am committed and focused and would gladly join in with a daily buddy, if one appears but I think my time will be better spent elsewhere until someone else appears.

Spring is coming!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #43  
in development

Great news about the project, Debbie! Please will you remind me what your three essentials are? Mine are washing up, hanging up laundry washed overnight and a quick tidy round.

I was thinking about this thread about half an hour ago when I sorted out a file marked 'moving' from 2000-01. We didn't move, in the end, and so I've got rid of the file. Credit!

I'll call in here from time to time. I hope all you other declutterers are doing well.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #44  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Silverbirch, my 3 essentials are dishes, laundry(to next stage) and bed made.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 173/133/140

Height: 5'2"

I set the timer for 20 minutes for the essentials every morning......bed made, laundry started, newspapers away, dishes in or out of dishwasher, coffee pot cleaned.

Twice a year I go through my clothes and shoes. Unfortunately, I keep too many clothes that I no longer fit into, and I hate to throw away shoes. I have donated most of the clothes that I bought when I was sure I would squeeze into them in a few weeks, but cannot seem to let go of others. I must admit I have beautiful jackets and sweaters that are at least ten years old with the tags still on. Why do I keep those while managing to donate so many others? I think the name brand does it, but I am not really sure.
I think I need to start doing those two chores three or four times a year.
Closed Thread