Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #76  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Good walking day, CREDIT moi, with two journeys there and back. Last one was to meet with a group of friends working on memoirs as a way to remember all that stuff that's just jumbled in head.

Eating was only OK, CREDIT moi-ish. Dinner was gaspacho on the patio - most likely the last of the year given that the garden is yielding its last. Had another bout with the freezer "peeing on the floor" - apparently when we defrosted we didn't sufficiently clean/thaw the drain tube that goes to an invisible tray under the unit. I gave in and paid $16.99 for a service manual on-line. It may be useful at some point; it doesn't have the info I need (how to assure that the drain tube is clear) but does have some secret diagnostic codes that may be useful. DW devised a long thin syphon tube and I devised squirting hot water down the (possibly) clogged hole. I fear this saga will continue.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – 'Salota straight days of exercising - Kudos. I thought we were warm here, but your 98 degrees beats that.

nationalparker – Happy Birthday! - may you have many, many more. Super idea to quarter the cupcakes for maximum tasting. I'm also a Bill Crosby fan - just love his facial movements.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Sending sympathies to your DH for having to shop for clothes. Heaven appeals to me since I assume I won't have to shop for new wings when I gain or lose weight, LOL. Kudos for spontaneous exercise.

Readers -
Quote:
day 6 Find a Diet Coach

How to Find a Diet Coach
If you're not sure whom to select, consider doing the following: . . .

Join an organized group. . . .
If you join a group, you won't feel alone, since you're sharing experiences with others who are also struggling. Viewing their slips and mistakes in an objective, problem-solving way can help you take a more useful view of your own difficulties. You might also get a good feeling from helping others - and from being helped by them. You might meet someone who will agree to be your diet coach - and vice versa!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 86.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hi coaches,

Thanks for all your supportive messages. I have been really struggling to keep my spirits up the last couple of days. Which means finding credits is trickier. So I will get the self-criticism out of the way first! I had an Icecream tonight. It came on top of having had the last of my week's planned indulgences earlier in the day so was very unnecessary. I really enjoyed the planned indulgence but the Icecream was entirely unsatisfying. Have just started reading the End of Overeating book. Very interesting read.

So - some credits - I didn't have any of the chips my kids were having at afternoon tea. I have walked the kids to and from school everyday this week (tho that is largely because it is more comfortable than sitting in the car). I have been asking my kids for lots of help with things that require bending (like doing up my shoes and unpacking the dishwasher). Apart from the Icecream I have stayed OP. that deserves a lot of credit! I have meditated the last 2 days. I have been following the physios instructions!

Lexxis - yay to you for thinking ahead about the challenges you will face in your busy and emotionally challenging tie ahead.

Gardener joy - your comment about avoiding craving foods as being fun was very helpful- probably what decided me to start reading the book - have been avoiding it because I don't want to have to give things up:-) and like wow for nearly two months of meeting your exercise goals!

Beth - yay for your stair climbing solution to less chance for exercise in the new job!

BBE - welcome home and congrats on a weight maintained holiday. I am the queen of to do lists - been known to have lists of my lists - but have been tamed by an App called Things. My favourite bit is the 'someday' file - for the things I want to commit to doing but realistically I probably won't ever - well at least not until the children are grown up!

National Parker - what a great birthday wish. Looking forward to you realising it next year
Old 09-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #78  
Green Tomatoes

Back to the point where following the plan is my default. I had to check my log to see if I had a 100% day yesterday because it didn't happen on a conscious level.

WI: +0.15 kg, Exercise: +55 540/1400 minutes for September, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Lexxiss: pasted this into my Response list: I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE NOW that I function much better when my food is clean.
Take care and I'll look forward to hearing about your project at the end of the month.

BillBlueEyes: memoir-writing is an interesting endeavor!

ForMyGirls: glad to see you back here! That's really a good list of credits with a lot to build on!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #79  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I'm not exactly sure how, but I just inhaled a yeast donut. A coworker brought in a box of a variety and I planned to walk on by. Which I did several times. Then just peeked. Well, deliciousness awaited. Clearly. So I took one and enjoyed it way too quickly before I rush off to a meeting now and I'm beating myself up for it. ARGH. No credits in that. I clearly don't learn from it but that'll be the treat today. Will eat no baked chips at Subway after our volunteer gig at noon.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

VioletDolphin: I have been off processed foods now for five days. It seems to get easier.

IBelieveinMe2: It really is about small choices. And I think reading new information has helped me with this journey. When I read in SALT Fat Sugar how the food companies have purposely engineered food to make me addicted, I was mad enough to stop playing their game.

BBE: Welcome back. I have been with the redwoods all my life and I think have taken them for granted. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

ForMyGirls: Healing thoughts for your back. I know how discouraging that is.

Lexxiss: We met with roofing guys which was a surprise because we thought we were just repainting the house. Twenty grand later . . . . Nothing to eat over, though.

I absolutely agree with gardenerjoy and Lexxiss. There are definite trigger foods. I have known the obvious ones for years now: Macaroni and cheese. I will binge every time. Cookie dough when I bake is another. My first step was to recognize the biggies. I lost fifteen pounds just being willingly to stay "present" when I was eating and recognized my behavior ( thanks to Beck.)

Credit for my fifth day eating completely OP: I have not had any of the seven allergenic foods— dairy, eggs, gluten, corn, soy, artificial sweetener, peanuts. Wow! It is a big deal. I have not had any terrible withdrawal symptoms that are warned in the book. I have had a lingering sadness grieving sweets but I am not hungry in the least. Another big surprise is I have dropped coffee, as well. Since I couldn't put sweet into it I decided I just didn't like it. I have switched to tea and really like it.

I went all through my work week at school without one single chocolate forage. That is a miracle.

Big challenge this weekend since I am still super food restricted (two shakes a day) for the next three days and I am supposed to go to SF to see America's Cup on Saturday. After much thinking I have decided to freeze a smoothie which will get me through the first morning. A salad bar for lunch and then I will pack a sandwich (sunflower bread with almond butter) for dinner. That will get me home. Credit for willingness to bend but not break.

Last edited by maryann; 09-12-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #81  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Great gym day, CREDIT moi, because I did a class that worked some of the less obvious muscle groups that I've been ignoring. It didn't tax me like a previous 'boot camp' class that I took. But it did stretch stuff that needed stretching and demonstrated that balance can use some work. I really like the pose standing on one foot with the other foot brought up to the knee - I look like a Tanzanian Maasai warrior, LOL. The leader teaches Zumba classes; maybe if I screw up my courage I'll finally take one of those. They always seem populated by young, trim, females dancing with awesome skill. Best of all, I was the only person who showed up so it became a one-on-one class. Someday I'll fork over the money for a personal trainer session every time I do gym, but I'm not ready to do that yet.

Eating was spot on plan, CREDIT moi, which I needed. For dinner I took out bigger bowls to make salads that were double normal size. Think I may continue doing that. I like a LARGE salad.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Good news that you've got your plan in the default part of your brain. Do you have any tips for trying to write a memoir? I think my head if full of memories until the vast whiteness of a blank sheet of paper sits before me.

maryann - Oh Yes, Kudos "for willingness to bend but not break." You remind me that one major step when I started my journey was to reduce coffee to only one cup per day. For whatever reason, that helped me stay on plan. Perhaps I need to revisit that since I've reverted to multi-cup days. Enjoy the America's cup; it hurt to pass through San Francisco going to the airport without figuring out a way to peak at the boats.

nationalparker – Donuts are just evil. Ouch for getting caught, with Kudos for immediately making a plan to recover.

ForMyGirls - Kudos for working to find your credits - they're important. [Like your "'someday' file" - I may try that.]

Readers -
Quote:
day 6 Find a Diet Coach

How to Find a Diet Coach

Find a diet professional. Consider working one-on-one with a mental-health or health-care professional who has had experience and success with helping people lose weight and keep it off. You don't want to pick someone who focuses only on the supposed root cause of your weight problems ("It's your mother's fault!"). You want someone who helps you identify and counter your unhelpful thinking, gives practical advice, is highly encouraging and motivating, and is willing to help you implement this program.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #82  

Hello coaches,

I am struggling tonight. It is very hard to make myself post. And it was very hard to make myself plan tomorrow's meals. But I have done / am doing both so credit to me for that. There is a bit going round my head about being a big hypo about all this and making a mountain out of a molehill but I am just so exhausted by everything being hard. I can't just do up my shoelaces without thinking through how to bend over. And I can't just sit down without making sure I sit right. I got myself into an ok space this afternoon - came to certain acceptance that this is just how it is going to be for a bit - for a while I am going to have to lose weight with minimal exercise - it will be slower but it is possible. But my mood is so precarious and an evening of dealing with kids tired at the end of the week and a partner who is also out of puff at the end of a long work week and all that tenuous positivity is gone. Oh well!

Credits help - so, credit for a day OP. credit for stopping eating dinner when I was full. Credit for a yummy lunch full of vegies.

Personals help too :

BBE - good luck with your incontinent fridge

Gardener joy - yay for being OP being the default again

Nationalparker - credit to you for working out how to turn the donut into a substitute, not a deviation

Maryann - it sounds like the no processed foods is working well for you. The America's Cup has such evocative memories for me. Not sure if it is a well known fact outside Oz but Australia won the America's Cup in 1983. At the time I was living in a city that was very different from my normal life and being cared for briefly by a grandmother I hardly knew. My granny, my brother and I all got up in the wee hours of the morning to watch the race, despite none of has having any particular interest in sailing - so a memory imbued with a multitude of unfamiliar things - but all the more vivid for it. I wonder whether VioletDolphin remembers it too - I think it is a bit of an "I remember where I was when..." Moment for us Aussies.

BBE - yay to you for embracing all the diversity of experiences your gym has to offer. My tip for any kind of writing is a program called Scrivener.

Thanks for being there all of you! Tenuous positivity is back.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #83  
Green Tomatoes

Just reading a piece about the calories in some items on the TGIF's menu. OMG. It's no wonder America has an obesity problem when this seems like a normal weekly indulgence.

I've been thinking about that a lot recently for some reason. I always knew that a burger and fries wasn't health food, but I completely bought into the idea that is was a normal lunch. Now, I see it as at least three times the carbs I want (and I'm not a low carb dieter). Depending on how big the burger is and what else is on it (bacon & cheese!) it has two to ten times the protein I want at lunch. And where the heck are the veggies? 'Cuz a slice of under-ripe tomato and a leaf of wilted lettuce doesn't do it for me anymore. If there's still part of me that can see that as a normal lunch (the brain circuitry still exists, although I have no trouble shorting it out these days), what about all those people who haven't been on a weight loss journey?

Seems like there's a role to play for those of us who have found a way out of treating those sorts of meals as anything but normal. If normal is what we see the people around us doing, then we can be proud and loud, instead of meek and weak, about asking for salad as a substitute for fries, and leaving half or more of the bread.

WI: -0.05 kg, Exercise: +30 570/1400 minutes for September, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

nationalparker: Good for you for incorporating the slip into your plan and for coming here to get support. On to a new day!

maryann: I know about the mourning over foods I've given up. Now, though, it's more like nostalgia -- certain foods that I wish for in the way that I sometimes wish for the exuberant and dramatic social life that I had in high school. I don't really want either one in my life now, but there's still a tinge of fondness to the memory.
Good job with staying on plan and making something work for your weekend event. From Missouri, watching the America's Cup in real life seems hugely exotic. Have fun!

BillBlueEyes: I had a yoga teacher who liked us to practice tree pose in the couple of weeks before and after the equinox. All things in balance.
I eat at least one giant salad a day. It improves my mood to still have one thing that I can eat in quantity.
What helps me with memoir-writing is to choose a theme (food, my mother, computers). Then start with my first memory related to that theme (The first time I saw a computer...) and let it build chronologically from there. I usually end up with even more memories, but since they all connect, the story flows better and doesn't overwhelm me. If your ultimate goal is a life story, you can always take the themed pieces and break them apart later into age groupings.

Yay, ForMyGirls, for using your post to get to a more positive frame of mind. Hugs! You really are struggling with a lot so no shame in recognizing that is a struggle. The effort to keep pulling yourself from negative to positive will pay off in the short run and the long run.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #84  
Enjoying la bella vita

Happy Friday! I'm working to turn my cranky mood this morning into something more positive so I'm not "mad at my body" this weekend. Scale is up a few pounds (now realize it's partly normal water weight but had forgotten); frustration from that compounded when reading a nutritional info panel on a box of individually packaged nuts/fruit that we found and were pleased that they were 140 and 120 calories - small portions that were perfect. Said we knew the bags would be small but that's good. Until I opened the carton this morning to find each individual bag had 3.5 servings in it. Now that's about 500 calories in the bag and that's not doable. I was so irritated at myself for not seeing the 3.5 servings/bag on the 18 bags. You couldn't see the bags themselves and the weight didn't click with us as we picked them up. Oh well ... HOW do I turn more food for the money into a bad thing? I will talk to DH about donating them to a shelter for folks who need the healthy nutrition and don't need to watch their calories as much or to the school office where I volunteer - many of those kids need add'l food, I'm sure. I think it's a better donation than junk food. Try to turn it around.

COOL temps have moved in for a few days and I'm actually itching to get outside and working in the yard again. Feel like my mind is just on a bit of a negative bent right now. Instead of being thankful that I can get out and do the work, I think why didn't I do this two months ago. Instead of looking forward to redoing my front garden this fall, I beat myself up for not having it look nice all summer. Enough of this negativity.

Have not done a good job on posting any decent messages here this week and am looking forward to turning this around!
Old 09-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Day, Coaches.

Off to SF this afternoon. Op today. Credit for packing food for tomorrow to provide for success.

Wish me luck.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:18 AM   #86  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Continued with the double sized salad at dinner, CREDIT moi. This may become the new normal since DW likes the idea also. I just double the lettuce not the avocado, which would negate any benefit, LOL.

Only minor exercise, Ouch. I was headed out for a walk when we got hit with a sudden rain storm. It didn't last forever, but I let the threat keep me in. I did spend a few moments practicing standing on one leg pretending that I was tending my cattle as a Maasai warrior. I need to dig out our Maasai plaid wool blanket to complete the image.

Incontinent fridge report (Thanks to ForMyGirls for the concise name): I see this morning that the drain is blocked with ice again. Shucks! But the good news is that I've detected the problem before the 'peeing' on the floor. The whole thing is out of sight with no clear path to getting to where it's visible.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the reality lesson from TGIF's menu - it's shocking that we have to fight for a 'normal' lunch from anywhere. When we were traveling, our vegetarian friend ordered a Ham and Cheese sandwich "without the ham." The guy just couldn't fathom it, LOL, but she got what she wanted. (I'm hard pressed to figure out why my response was relevant, LOL.) [I'll try your tip to start at an earliest memory and work from there. It does seem to help to find some small detail to grab to begin the flow of words.]

maryann - Have fun at the America's Cup. May the best team win - from among those who haven't broken the rules by moving their masts to and fro, LOL. Hope the wind picks up for those weird-but-beautiful boats.

nationalparker – Ouch for encountering the sneaky bit that individual packaged nuts are packaged for 3.5 individuals. Kudos for recognizing, "Enough of this negativity."

ForMyGirls - Sending positive energy over the Internet best I can. Gotta love, "out of puff" as the best descriptive phrase of the year - you guys know how to work the language. Yep, Kudos for an OP day when it's tough.

Readers -
Quote:
day 6 Find a Diet Coach

How to Find a Diet Coach

Investigate Internet support. Face-to-race interaction is usually more desirable, but it you absolutely can't meet with someone in person, investigate weight-loss support groups on the Internet. A study conducted at the University of Vermont in Burlington found that participants who enrolled in a weight-maintenance program over the Internet sustained the same amount of weight loss as a participant who met with a support group in person.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #87  
Enjoying la bella vita

Amazing what a complete attitude change occurs on a Saturday morning than on a Friday with work yet to go. Despite thankful I have a job, I feel as if the stress that started in September last year and didn't alleviate until June has started in again. We were rewarded for the over-the-top amount of work with lower than ever performance reports from a new higher up boss who has a different way of rating performance. I realized yesterday that is clouding my outlook. My cubicle has nothing personal this year and I finally resolved to add some plants, etc. this weekend.

Eating yesterday wasn't completely out of the calorie range but wasn't nutritional (i.e., cheese sandwich on french bread for lunch at home). I play mental games with myself - well, in France or Italy, this is a perfectly normal lunch vs. just have a side salad to start and half the sandwich

Many errands to do today, but will take our dog and walk her along the river downtown for a change ... beautiful weather and plenty of new scents for her there. Gorgeous temps - cool and autumn-y.

Will come up with the week's menu and get the marketing done for that, as well. I want to do NO errands and just work outside in our yard and gardens and pot pansies! That sounds like the life!
Old 09-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #88  
Green Tomatoes

A late mix-up in weekend schedules affected my food plan yesterday, but I made reasonable substitutes.

I have no plan of any kind today and I'm enjoying that. Since my food is working automatically at the moment, I'll allow one day without a food plan and get back to it tomorrow when I anticipate everything being a bit whacky.

WI: +0.2 kg, Exercise: +30 600/1400 minutes for September, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

maryann: hope your adventurous day is going well!

BillBlueEyes: Cool that the large salad is still working for you. Good luck handling your incontinent fridge.

nationalparker: I have yet to see a performance report scheme that manages to be anything but demotivating. Best ignored unless I can find one little thing that I want to build a project around.
I learned this summer that I need to leave the French way of eating in France. My guess is it only works for me in combination with pounding the hard pavement of Paris all day.
We're having glorious weather here today, too.

Waving at everyone who hasn't posted in the last 24 hours. Hoping that Lexxiss in Colorado is high and dry.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:18 AM   #89  

Hello coaches,

I feel like I am back today. Had a shocker of a day yesterday and then in the evening finally got a glimpse of life outside the fog so grabbed hold, had a great big cry about the hopelessness that I had obviously been trying so hard not to feel all week and finally felt really like myself again today. Benefit of seeing more clearly today is that I realised that I could do the washing if I asked the kids to load and unload the washing machine, that I could take them for a bike ride by asking my partner to join us and me walking a short distance while they all rode off further ahead. So my home looks more like a home and my little one has gotten to get out and enjoy her new handlebars. Credit to me for getting through a week in the fog with only 1 Icecream, 2 slices of chocolate bread and a hot chocolate off plan. Credit to me for hauling my way out of the fog. Credit to my lovely fella for waiting patiently through all my negativity and still being there to listen when i finalky got to the cathartic part! The week ahead has some challenges as I have work commitments on 3 evenings - so will need to plan snacks to get me through to dinner. Glad to be facing it with my usual goodwill and determination.

Maryann - good luck! (With all your planning and pre-thinking you're set up beautifully for success!)

BBE - LOL at the image of you pretending to be a Maasai warrior (which is funny really because I obviously don't actually know what you look like, but the picture in my head is very far from a Masaai warrior :-))

National Parker - pleased to hear your mood has improved. I hope the errands flew by and that you got to pot some pansies.

Gardener joy - yay for making substitutions for a day that went off plan. Hope the no day plan has gone well too.

Thanks all of you for being there this week. Your presence in my life has helped a lot.

Last edited by ForMyGirls; 09-15-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #90  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Ouch - I've done something with my back that has me hobbling. DW put me in bed with a heating pad for a spell, then told me that walking about was the cure. I spent the day alternating.

Eating was good at dinner, CREDIT moi. DD and her SO came to dinner to see the 'slides' of our trip. I relished reliving the trip via pictures of the Redwoods and the rocky coast. They were good sports and didn't complain about the redundancy - when you're completely stuck with the grandeur of BIG trees, it's easy to take a LOT of photo of big trees. They all looked different to me, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – It's useful for me to be reminded to associate my enthusiastic eating on vacations with the massive walking that went with it. Yay for "reasonable substitutes."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Waving. I hope you are safe; the stories of flooding in Colorado are so gruesome.

nationalparker – Yay for some weather that makes for potting pansies and working outdoors. I've had to deal with those directives that performance reviews had to be distributed like a bell curve; pain always followed. Hope you can see through it and feel appreciated for your successes.

ForMyGirls - Glad to hear of your recovery on the same day that the New Zealand team made a spectacular recovery from a near disaster in the America's Cup. (I assume you're cheering for the 'Kiwis'.) Super Kudos for finding a way to get your kids out on their bikes. Congrats for having kids who will step up to help with getting the laundry in and out of the washing machine.

Readers -
Quote:
day 6 Find a Diet Coach

What to Discuss with your Coach

Your coach can help you in many ways. Ideally, schedule a regular time to talk (face to face, if possible), at least once a week and then in between by phone or by e-mail on an as-needed basis - daily, if necessary.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 87.
Closed Thread