Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #61  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

My first day of work didn't go so great (manager didn't seem to realize I was starting today and she didn't have things ready for me--I had to go home and get my own laptop so I'd be able to receive documents)

We went out for dinner (unplanned) because, well, I was too stressed to cook. Bad. Ordered okay, but ate too many of DH's fries. As we walked in, there was a 'dessert special' sign--and I had a momentary "I deserve that after this bad day" and then thought "What the heck is that? Food is not a reward or consolation!"--and didn't even look at the dessert menu when the time came.

I'm eating out for lunch tomorrow. I would not have chosen The Cheesecake Factory, but since it's been chosen, I've picked lettuce wrap tacos to have, and that should keep that meal controlled. DD gets to pick dinner--I'll be driving her back to school and the doctor will probably give her permission to eat "solid" (as opposed to "soft") foods.

Exercise didn't happen today--stress over the new job cannot keep me from exercising, but I won't have much time tomorrow since taking DD back to school is a 3 hour endeavor.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #62  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!
I've decided to gradually reduce the amount of processed foods that I eat. I was finding it too hard to do all at once. At the moment I have a healthy breakfast (banana on toast and yoghurt) and usually have a dinner of meat and vegetables, lunch is often when I eat the crappy food.
Good news is that I've lost another kilo! Yay!
Old 09-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #63  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile baby steps

Hello Coaches,

Today, I made a few good, conscious decisions that indicated PROGRESS! We were on the road to an out-of-town doctor appointment for DD and I chose apples as a side instead of the fries that I was craving. CREDIT! At a pit stop for the restroom, the rows of candy bars were calling my name, but I opted for sugarless gum instead. CREDIT! Later, for my afternoon snack, I chose a fruit cup instead of other less healthy options. CREDIT! Best of all, I caught myself in the midst of my cravings and consciously chose to exercise my resistance muscle (remembered from my last go-round with the Beck book). And I remembered to give myself CREDIT each time! So I am feeling a lot more hopeful tonight as I write to all of you. RELIEF!!! Thank you to ForMyGirls, gardenerjoy, and nationalparker for your messages of support. It really means a lot to me. I read them while on the road and your tips and support really made the difference for me today.

ForMyGirls: Your suggestion to pick ONE thing to focus on helped me to do just that (better food choices), and it helped me to not feel so overwhelmed by all of the things I need to change in my lifestyle to lose weight. I kept reminding myself that it is about PROGRESS and not perfection.

nationalparker: Your advice to not stress over not feeling 100% committed made me realize that my all-or-nothingness was coming into play with this funk I've been in. I don't have to wait until I feel "perfect" commitment to make small changes that can add up to success. So that was my focus today. And it really helped!

gardenerjoy: I had read your advice about the book The End of Overeating, by David Kessler, awhile ago. Others have also recommended that book, saying that it really made a difference to them in their weight loss journeys, so I recently purchased it and will read it after the current weight loss book I am reading. Thank you for both book recommendations. I really appreciate your input and support!

bethFromDayton: I am sorry to hear that your first day at your new job didn't go so well. I hope they are more prepared to welcome you properly on Tuesday! For the record, I love The Cheesecake Factory! They have an awesome Skinnylicious menu loaded with delicious healthier food options. CREDIT to you for already planning your food ahead of time.

VioletDolphin83: Congrats to you on losing another kilo!!! That must feel great! Also, CREDIT to you for recognizing that you need to make changes gradually rather than all at once. Slow and steady wins the race!
Old 09-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #64  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Sewing Machine Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Physically I'm back from gawking at the Redwoods of Oregon and California. Methinks my head is still on vacation wondering which National Park to visit today.

Redwoods that weigh 500 tons and tower some 300+ feet impress in real life as much as imagined. We walked around and through them, touched them, and sat and admired them. The Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park in California is just the best ever. We walked deep enough away from seeing or hearing anyone else to be able to feel a spiritual experience with the trees. My little human mind hardly seems able able to comprehend a tree living for a thousand years.

The big surprise was seeing Gray Whales in Oregon. You just walk to the shore and look west. There was a local pod - the major groups of them are only seen when migrating back and forth each year between San Diego and Alaska.

It was a vacation with much walking, CREDIT moi, but also with much eating. We had a cooler in the car for fruit for snacks, CREDIT moi, but took more meals in restaurants than was easy to manage on plan. September is a good month to get back on plan.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

Very brief tonight as back took big turn for worse last night so am reduced to typing while lying down :-( need to check in though because it is going to be hard to stay focused thru this. So - I didn't eat anything I shouldn't have today. Credit. I asked for lots of help today. Credit. I stayed committed to my weight loss today. Credit. What I could have done better? I could have meditated - that can be done lying down :-) thanks for being there.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #66  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was OP and I accomplished my morning exercises in addition to work. credit. Our renovation project is coming to another push as I spent 2 hrs. after work yesterday w/plumbing heating guy. I must move forward which has big attachment to pocketbook so big credit for stepping up.

BBE, welcome back! Glad you had such a enlightening experience.

IBelieveInMe2, credit for making a better choice yesterday and for learning some new processes for your journey. I, too, was very enlightened with Kesslers book. It made me understand that a giant part of my "cravings" were, in fact, related to the types of food I was consuming. One bite created the craving for the next...and the next. My ability to lose weight became much simpler once I started saying no to the cravers, especially sugar and HFCS....I'm a label reader now. If it has corn syrup I don't consume. Best wishes!

ForMyGirls, sorry you are experiencing more pain. I hope it eases soon. Credit for thinking through food choices during this time.

Beth(fromDayton), I hope today is better at work.

I still have exercise and smoothie before work. I have a plan for healthy choices today.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #67  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday was on plan, with both food and exercise, even when my to do list spiraled out of control. Credit!

WI: -0.2kg, Exercise: +45 405/1400 minutes for September, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Yay for IBelieveInMe2 and VioletDolphin83, both working their way to better places.

Welcome home, BillBlueEyes! Your vacation sounds fantastic!

Hugs for ForMyGirls! Good for you for taking care of yourself and asking for help.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #68  
Green Tomatoes

I came back to riff on what Lexxiss said. We're all different. She gave up sugar and HFCS. For me, it was white bread and potato chips. Every one is different in what triggers their cravings and it can be pretty nuanced if you want it to be.

I find it easier to stay away from milk chocolate all together, but I've kept some dark chocolate in my life, almost every day. For some reason, ice cream isn't triggering for me, so I have one scoop in a cup, sometimes more than once a week. I did find, though, that I have trouble if I go to those yogurt places where you put your own toppings on top. If I put candy on, I'll start craving the candy -- so I either avoid those places or limit myself to fruit and chocolate sauce.

The other point I wanted to make is that it turns out this is all much more fun and delightful than it sounds at the outset. At first, I thought, "man, I'm going to have to give up all my favorite foods." And, I did have to give up some. But it was all an interesting experiment to see what worked and what didn't and a life without food cravings is quite exceptionally good. I had no idea.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 09-10-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #69  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenerjoy View Post
I came back to riff on what Lexxiss said. We're all different. She gave up sugar and HFCS. For me, it was white bread and potato chips. Every one is different in what triggers their cravings and it can be pretty nuanced if you want it to be. .
gardenerjoy, you explained it better than I . Yes, we are all different. It was so interesting for me to find out that I could not eat organic made from scratch oatmeal in the morning. After several tries where I spent the rest of the day ravenously hungry I tried it for dinner instead. It doesn't do that at dinnertime so now I enjoy it every Sunday evening .
Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #70  
I can do this

Hi all,

Food was OP today. I swapped lunches--had to reschedule the Cheesecake Factory due to a meeting. Fortunately, it was rescheduled to a breakfast next week, which is much easier for me to order OP!

It was 90+ degrees when I got home from work, so didn't take a walk today. Tomorrow, I am definitely finding time to walk--or even do an exercise tape. I could tell even walking around the hall at work that my legs miss my 20 minute building laps at my old job.

I've got a plan for tomorrow, so credit for that.

Take care, all.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #71  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - 911 Remembrance Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Made it to the gym, CREDIT moi, where I felt like a stranger. I did manage to walk, CREDIT moi, to our community garden where I rescued one tomato that is now destined for my last-of-the-year tomato sammish. And I applied generous water to the dry ground.

Big Yay that the scale shows no gain over my nine day vacation trip. That boggles my mind since the meals we ate were almost always at restaurants. But snacks were well controlled - we had a Styrofoam cooler in the car with apples. Gives me incentive to get my snacking around here back under control.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Managing to-do lists is a problem for me. I don't always finish even writing mine before I've identified several items so important that I just go do them. My lists usually degenerate into the solve-world-hunger type of items that are beyond completion in the next 24 hours.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Ouch for plumbing/heating issues - those guys aren't cheap around here. Neat new avatar of your hot springs.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Kudos for recognizing that your legs miss their daily walk. It's late in the season to sill have 90 degree weather - hope you get cool enough to want to get out.

ForMyGirls - Sending supportive thoughts for your errant back. Big Kudos for asking for help instead of sulking.

Readers -
Quote:
day 6 Find a Diet Coach

How to Find a Diet Coach
If you're not sure whom to select, consider doing the following: . . .

Join an organized group. Look into weight loss support groups offered by nonprofit community groups, hospitals, and commercial organizations. Ask to sit in on a meeting before making a commitment. You don't want a group in which people just talk about their problems and express their negative emotions in a nonconstructive way. You want a group in which people describe their successes, help others with their diet-related difficulties, and share useful weight-loss strategies.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 86.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #72  
Green Tomatoes

My To Do list was still out of control yesterday, but I think I tamed it for today.

I checked my exercise logs yesterday and I haven't missed a day of exercise since July 19. I didn't set out to do that, but now that I have, I want to continue my streak!

We may set a record for hot temperatures (98 degrees) today, but we've been walking every day anyway so we can handle one more day. They are promising a high in the 70s on Friday. That's going to feel amazing.

WI: -+0.1 kg, Exercise: +80 485/1400 minutes for September, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 09-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #73  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello - Enjoyed a good birthday yesterday. Decided to take the afternoon off and DH called to see how day was going in the morning and I said fine, but I decided on taking vacation for the afternoon. He said OH NO, that ruins my plans. I said WHAT? Talk about a let-down. He said what are you going to do? I said go out to lunch and stroll the art museum in the afternoon and just enjoy. He got all stressed (?) and I just didn't get it. Then he calls back, okay, I've got a new plan. Turns out he was trying to bake me a cake at home for the first time ever and then looked up a cupcake shop and we went to lunch, then to a cupcake shop where we selected six and packaged them up for dessert with his folks at night. Actually he and I split one coconut one after lunch. I ate a total of 1.25 cupcakes and while high calorie, much better than having a cake and extra slices around later - we cut each cupcake in quarters so everyone got to taste each one they wanted or have more of this or that. Great idea. Indulged more at dinner, but brought home leftovers and DH "tried" a good portion of mine there, so in my mind since more was gone from my plate I was thinking I did worse. Make sense? All in all, a good day. And my main gift is tickets for us to enjoy Bill Cosby live, which I've never done and he's been a fave for years. I like his clean comedy.

Today - back on track. Record heat here continues to make it miserable outside with heat index around 100. Friday temp is 65 with low of 45. Crazy.

Supposed to go to the farmer's market again at lunch, but I just don't know if we'll head over or cancel.

May this be the last birthday that I wish I could have fit into something that I didn't.

Welcome back, Bill!!

Last edited by nationalparker; 09-11-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #74  
I can do this

Hi all.

Today was not OP. Breakfast was, so credit for that. I was so hungry mid-morning that I had a snack--I can't remember the last time I did that. It was definitely hunger and not a craving--but I didn't fight it off very hard.

I changed both lunch and dinner plans, but those were within plan parameters. So I guess there's credit for that, too. And even though I sorta want one, I didn't have an unplanned ice cream treat tonight.

I also didn't exercise--but did take DH shopping for clothes. (I was unsuccessful--he has a ton of new stuff) (Bill, he doesn't like to shop either, but he's lost almost 25 lbs and everything was swimming on him)

I am increasing my spontaneous exercise at work--using the 3rd floor rest room (I work on the main floor) and then walking around the building before returning to my desk.

Take care, all.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #75  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi Coaches!
Yesterday I put on a "too big" swimsuit and walked to our rec center. I did some water yoga then soaked in the jacuzzi. Credit. It was nice yet in the past I have had a severe reaction to the large amount of chlorine the local pool uses. I'm going to give it a 1x/week try. Food was helter skelter….we snacked (healthy) and went to bed early...trying to rest away the large amount of information we were handed yesterday.
So, here's what's shaping up with me. I have to drive and p/u a hot water heater and meet the plumber to unload this morning. I have to instruct Kirk as to where he needs to cut holes in the floor and then go get a water meter. I got an email from my contractor friend yesterday....wanting to start again next Monday. I did call her and say next week wouldn't work...plumber will not be finished AND starting Saturday I work 8 of the next 10 days. We agreed they will show up on the 23rd to do the final push on this renovation project. In the mix, is that my mom will get a call Friday or Monday with the schedule for her day surgery to remove a melanoma. I will have to work around everything else to make this happen on the Dr. schedule not mine.
I am breathing deep and preparing myself mentally. It is going to be busy....it is going to include emotional discomfort as well as a huge expenditure. I am going to have our contractor friends living in our home AND I will be preparing meals AND taking responsibility for having "stuff" in the refrigerator.
I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE NOW that I function much better when my food is clean.
When I get up each morning and commit 100%, then the small amount of imperfection which slips in from time to time isn't a diet breaker. When I say this week doesn't matter because next week will be (calmer, less stressed, less busy, more focused....) then the backslide begins.
I am giving my 100% not to backslide.
So, this next week, even though I'll be working like crazy I'm going to formulate a food plan for the entire time my contractors are here and prep/cook/freeze/etc so I can stay within my food parameters, have food for us all and probably take meals to my mom as she recovers from surgery. All the rest will fall where it is going to fall.

I know today I need a workable plan which keeps me eating healthy and which keeps all the other aspects of my life moving forward. Using my Beck skills I am confident I can accomplish this. I have noticed this morning that my mind is much more organized than it used to be. I don't feel especially stressed but instead just more aware that I need to be at the top of my game for the next few weeks.
My internet is not reliable. I have been at the computer now for 55min before I could get a reliable connection. I still have to pay our monthly tax payment before I can move on. I was easily able to email my Beck diet buddy from my iPhone but posting at 3fc from there is just not effective. I am going to take a leave of absence here until my project is finished. I'm hoping that will be by the end of the month.
1. I will contact my Beck diet buddy every day
2. I will focus on making food comfortable for my guests while staying true to my food plan.
3. I will miss my daily sharing but will understand I'm not abandoning the proverbial ship.

Take care everyone. I'll be back soon!
Closed Thread