Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #46  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Default 55 Days until Halloween

Good morning/evening wherever we all are! I had a good day yesterday, after the morning oreo blip. Credit for throwing out the cookie part and all but a bite of the second one. Have to find a positive in that. Lunch was a bit heavier and then had a nectarine when I got home and DH was late getting home, so we were eating close to 9 p.m. Credits = made good salads for us, a gorgeous nectarine/plum/raspberry fruit salad and potato/onion side in which I measured the oil and it turned out to be more than I would have put in without measuring, but would felt guiltier. Funny how that works out.

Relaxing at home this morning and put on the Hallmark Channel only to hear an ad for their Christmas programming, which will start Nov. 2. Bing singing, "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" and that hit me because I keep thinking I want to be fitting into more things definitely by then... so that was great to hear coming into the weekend.

Despite a few stray moments off plan, I've been on target for three weeks. I'm under my ticker weight but only by half pound, so will wait to update. It's driving me bonkers ha ha

Will do a little marketing and about two months ago I bought a bag of the miniature milky ways - each one was 70 calories. That, to me, is super enjoyable when we freeze them. So every few days I'd put two in the freezer and we'd think of them now and then. Finished them off the other night so I'll get another bag. That should last to Halloween. Enough of a treat and slow to eat.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #47  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Back on plan. That may well have been the fastest turn-around I've ever made. Credit!

WI: -0.05 kg, Exercise: +55 295/1400 minutes for August, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

VioletDolphin83: It gets better! Many processed foods are triggering for me so I had to have them out of my system for a couple of weeks before the cravings started to wane. I read The End of Overeating by David Kessler and that got me to quit cold turkey. Even more revealing is the new book Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss who didn't shy away from the word "addictive" to describe these foods. I liked it so much that I reviewed it in three parts. Here's part 3: http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2013/07/...l-moss-part-3/ The other two parts are linked from that one.
Once the processed foods are out of your system, everything else starts tasting so much better than you ever imagined. Can you shop at a Farmers Market? All the colors and freshness seems to help my senses even when the taste buds aren't quite there. Do you need help with recipes or cookbooks or ideas for quick meals that don't require either?

3rdTimeLucky: no worries about personals -- I've been here for four years and I still find them too overwhelming some days. I do all, a few, or none just depending on what I think will help that day. Apparently, today the lucky number is 2 personals.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Up this morning and cleaned house with DS, made lunch, did laundry and had my hair down. I think that all deserves a credit. Food is in MFP. Weight is a pound above ticker. DS and DH are going up to the cabin. I will have a night and a day free. What shall I do? What shall I do?

3rdTimeLucky: There is no perfect way to post. Personals are not mandatory. In the three years I have been here the participation has ebbed and flowed. At a few points there were so many posting I wished a few would not do personals. There is a perfect number of posts and it is always exaclty what it should be at every time —just like the scale Do what you can, you will find your balance.

nationalparker: good reminder about measuring. Somedays it is the best tool I have.

gardenerjoy: I am going to request SaltSugarFat at the libraryeven though it might mean I have to give up Reese's peanut butter cups.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:08 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

It's been a bit of a rollercoasters weekend. I have tried to do way too much and have ended up feeling really stressed and overwhelmed - agitated because I haven't gotten all the "keeping the wheels on" things I needed to do done, annoyed that I have had so little time to relax and then struggling to actually relax in the little bit of time I have left. So that is the *****ing and moaning bit.

The good bits - in amongst that I really noticed the temptations to eat my way through it - the "perhaps a whole tub of Icecream would make me feel better" was not hard to spot but "maybe I'll have the kids leftover macca cheese for lunch instead of a salad" was a bit trickier and the "I have 3 indulgences a week so perhaps if I had one of them now I would be content again" was a serious stealth bomber and I saw it and nailed it. Yay me (though I seem to be in a bit of a combative mood as a result!). I do have to confess that I did cave to two ENORMOUS spoonfuls of th macca cheese last night while I was waiting for the grown up food to finish cooking (I don't usually do separate meals but it was a special night for my daughter and she really wanted macca cheese). Credit to me for noticing all the ways I was trying to kid myself - "it is just one spoon" (never mind the fact that you would fit less in some bowls!), "I'm just having it before I put it in the fridge so I am not really eating some" etc. next time I plan to respond to those thoughts and not just notice them :-)

A random cool thing - my kids got new bikes earlier this year - my younger daughter's bike has never been a good fit and has really set her back from being a confident enthusiastic rider - we have tried a whole lot if adjustments, none of which were solving the problem - so this weekend I went and had some different handlebars fitted - they are like the curvy handlebars for a retro bike - her face just lit up when she started riding it and she was talking all the way home about what riding she can do this week. So pleased. I love riding and was really looking forward to doing more with them when I got their new bikes (geared bikes for the first time). Here's hoping for continued good weather to get out a lot this week.

A random not so good thing - election weekend in Australia this weekend. A very expected, but from my political vantage point, very unwelcome, result unfortunately.

Off to walk now and make the most of this beautiful sunshine. Will come back to personals tonight as it makes a big difference to my motivation to properly engage with all your lives.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #50  

Ok - back for personals.

Lexxis - I laughed at your not making eye contact with danger foods!

Gardener joy - your thinking about the timing of snacks has been really helpful. Made me do some thinking about the way I save up my indulgences in case I need them to solve emotional problems and got to realise that that is buying in to the old **** and, perhaps even more importantly, I won't enjoy them nearly as much if I am eating them as a bandaid instead of as delightful delicious food! Thank you.

National Parker - ouch with the cookies. I so get that "hey it's a new flavour - my life will not be complete if I don't try it". Even new packaging can convince me sampling is essential. And ouch also for all that self-criticism and pondering whether other people will be judging you for your food choices. That bit sucks doesn't it? I find myself doing that if I order something to eat that is not "dietary" and then have a diet coke - catch myself thinking "will they be thinking 'what's the point of the diet coke'. Woohoo for 3 weeks on target!

VioletDolphin - it is tough when you are having to get used to different tastes. I have in the past so easily fallen into the trap of thinking "vegies means carrots and broccoli everyday" and after day 3 I am bored out of my mind. When it does work for me is when I get more adventurous with vegies - use different ones, take the time to cook them a bit differently, or add something a bit fun, like a small amount of blue cheese, or some great pickled onions to a salad. I also think it makes a big difference if you can buy your produce at fwrmer's markets - real tomatoes are the sweetest yummiest things on the planet while Woolies tomatoes are the essence of bland. I have raved about the diet I am using before on here but in case you missed my preiovus post it is the CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet. There is an option to follow an exact meal plan but I pick and choose recipes and put together a plan that suits me and my tastes. It has helped me find some great new recipes - many with heaps of flavour.

3TL - like the others said I really don't think you should stress about doing personals - if it is useful for you on any given day do them - if it is unhelpful then don't. I do them pretty regularly because I find I read what you are all saying so much more attentively if I am treating it as a conversation - and really listening to you all (as opposed to skimming, which I might end up doing if I wasn't responding) really helps me maintain my focus. Hope the movie went well - it is hard to break the habitual food accompaniments to social activities hey?

Maryann - 3 cheers for such a productive day and some relaxing. Looking forward to hearing how you spend your alone time.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #51  
Green Tomatoes

I never wrote a plan yesterday, but ate reasonably well anyway. I have a plan for today -- credit!

WI: NC in kg, Exercise: +35 330/1400 minutes for September, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

ForMyGirls: loved all your thought processes! I'm still working with the whole food to fix emotions things, too. An interesting side effect is that I'm becoming more aware of the underlying emotions so that I can experiment with more direct means of engaging with them.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #52  
Enjoying la bella vita

Sunday and this weekend is just flying by. I've been up for hours but have not sat down and relaxed yet. Laundry, unpacking the oddball duffel bag from the trip that had all the things that I hate trying to figure out to put away or throw away. Prepping to bake the biscotti for MIL today and have some errands to do. Other than that, I want to kick back and read a bit. The landscaping project is patiently waiting me out until it cools off a bit, but I hate that I am stressed from the pavers being in front of our garage and the neighbors looking at them when our cars aren't parked there .. why do i worry about something like that? If I moved them to the back in the wheelbarrow, they'll sit on turf and kill it, so ... I figure I'll bring around muffins on a cool fall morning when they're finally gone or do a bbq out back for neighbors ha ha!

Dinner out was a bust last night - by the time we got out after DH got home late, Panera was closing. Had a few errands to do and did those, then came home and ate dinner at 10 p.m. and I cannot stress how I hate that. I had cup soup/bagel thin and DH had cereal. So at least I didn't chow big late.

I'm a bit down as birthday is this week and I had wanted to be in smaller clothing but didn't do the work to GET into that smaller clothes. Can I get my rear in gear and get closer to where I want by New Year's so I'm not facing the same self-recriminations to start the year... I put a Quotable magnet on our fridge - A year from now what will you wish you had done today? I like that.

ForMyGirls - Credits for recognizing the macca bites ... I LOVE mac and cheese and have it so rarely so when I do, I completely savor it. Really cool that you've solved the bike issue with DD and I can imagine her joy at the possibilities now that she's cruising comfy.

Maryann - I, too, am excited to hear how your day alone went! Hope it was one that filled your soul with good feelings.

GardenerJoy - What a speedy turnaround! I am impressed and need to realize that it can be quick!

VioletDolphin - Maybe work with preparing what you do at home with more herbs/seasonsings? Without the amount of sodium in a lot of prepared meals, what we prepare at home would taste much different. I typically think I'm not a major veggie lover, because I despise broccoli and zucchini. But in reality, though, I eat a great variety in tomatoes, onions, carrots, spinach, lettuce, peppers, starchier ones like corn/peas, etc. Some I like hot, others I prefer uncooked (spinach).

3rdTimeLucky - I sometimes only get to personals once/week and feel bad if I skipped someone but am trying to get over that. Sometimes it's better for me to pop in a few and at least post than to wait until I had enough time to do it completely. As everyone says, what works for you is what's right!

Last edited by nationalparker; 09-08-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #53  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

OP yesterday although a bit "out of order". DH wanted to nap when I got off work and since I hadn't eaten since 5am I had my planned snacks and read then made him dinner and switched my dinner "down" a bit. I worked the back room yesterday so I got more exercise and was detached from any eating my coworkers engaged in. That was a nice break. I haven't formulated my lunch/dinner plan today as we're waiting to hear if we're going to DD's house later. Fortunately, I have lots of OP foods stocked at home and won't need to go to the store.

nationalparker, hope you find some relaxation today. Great that you were able to eat light when DH didn't get home until late, especially when you were agitated. BTW-how many natl parks have you been to? I counted 19 last night...DH about the same although we have 5 or 6 that are different from each others. We are watching KenBurns series right now….got me thinking.

gardenerjoy, yay for reasonable eating without a written plan AND writing one down for today anyway.

ForMyGirls, great awareness of some specific eating situations and the emotions surrounding them. What progress as we learn to do that! Yes, noticing is important then responding is the next step.

maryann, wondering what you did with your free night.

3rdTimeLucky, I notice part of my evening problem also occurs when I'm tired. Yay for coming up with a plan BEFORE the cinema. I find bringing something of my own to be very helpful. Thanks for posting and ditto on personals….when it's comfortable, and for me often I just don't have a long enough block of space….my dieting and checking in with my progress still comes first.

VioletDolphin, I guess I will rephrase my comment….What I was trying to say is that you are eating xxfoods are are losing weight but you said you are having difficulty sticking to any planned food. My suggestion was towards putting those xxfoods you are already eating (and losing weight with) into your plan. Then you would be eating the same things you already are BUT would have the success of following your plan. (Not suggesting you find a new diet plan to follow).
Old 09-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Well last night's evening was excellent in some ways. I started researching food sensitivities hoping to understand a little more why I have been stuck 8 pounds from maintenance for two years.I also had in the back of my mind solutions for my blues. The long and short was I am going to try the 7 DROP food program that eliminates the 7 most common food sensitivities: eggs, soy, peanuts, dairy, sugar (including artificial sweetener), corn, and gluten. The idea is you get off them for three weeks and then reintroduce one at a time to see if you have symptoms. It has never occur to me that I might be allergic to some foods.

This all started yesterday afternoon when I read gardenerjoy's review on the book SUGAR FAT SALT (or something like that) and I became super angry at a food industry that has really duped me. I started thinking how much my body is reacting to crappy food.

Unfortunately setting up for the food for the week (throwing away what I can't eat and buying what I can) sent me into a "last supper" eating free for all until about 9 pm. Oh Well.

So credit for today, food planned, yoga class done, quiet time with no structure which i really love.

Last edited by maryann; 09-08-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #55  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy I am a food addict!

Oh my gosh, I have had a horrible food week. I never started the pink book (as planned) and have not planned out one day of food, so what do I expect?!? I am getting exercise walking my dogs, but I need to begin weight training again. CREDIT for coming here despite my embarrassment and disappointment in myself. I obviously need to revisit the Beck book because I have been consistently eating past the point of comfortable fullness. Then comes the regret! I feel SO big right now and just uncomfortable in my own skin. NOT a good feeling. I want to remember how I feel right now, though, to remind myself to change my behavior to get a different result next time! I am struggling with commitment to any one plan and I am afraid to try counting calories again because I know that I am going way over my target range on a daily basis. I haven't logged my food at My Fitness Pal in such a long time for this reason. I am tired of being "accountable" to anyone, but I know that accountability is probably what I need the most right now. That is why ~ despite my repeated slip-ups (trying hard not to use the "f word"......."failure" that is) ~ I keep coming back here to this board. So please be patient with me as I strive to be patient and kinder to myself. There is some kind of disconnect going on within me, because I do not feel 100% committed, despite being at my highest weight ever....... again. So I come to all of you today feeling very weak and afraid of "failing" at this weight loss thing again, but ~ being a person of faith ~ I will not give up on myself because I know that "I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me!" Right now, that alone is my HOPE.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #56  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

This has not been a successful food weekend for me. At yesterday's party I ate to the point of uncomfortably full--started with the veggies and hummus but tried almost every dessert--and there were a lot of them :-(.

Meals were OP today though, although snack was overdone.

Tomorrow is my first day at my new job. I've got a possible plan for lunch out, but don't really want to bring my own lunch for the first day since I don't know how things go yet.

I'm going to do the week's menus and tomorrow's shopping list now so that I can go shopping after work.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #57  

Hello coaches,

100% OP today. Have hurt my back a bit again tonight which is so annoying - feels like it only just got better. Will go to the physio now because I figure I mustn't have resolved it properly if it has gotten hurt again so soon. It is great though that I know for a proven fact that I can stay on a weight loss path even when injured so this latest development will not unseat me. Credit to me for noticing that - and credit to me for not eating through my disappointment.

I had a very cool experience today. When I out together my food plan for the week I out in as one of my indulgences getting a chocolate bar - I didn't specify when, just at some point this week. So today when I was doing the grocery shopping I thought "today's the day". I csme home and sat down to eat it with a lovely cup of tea. The bit that was cool was how utterly different it felt from just about every chocolate bar I can remember eating. In the "bad old days" I would often buy a chocolate bar at the shops and then scoff it in the car and hide the wrapper. Even if not in that context eating a chocolate bar was always "being bad" and I would always have this sense of feeling judged. Bt today there was no one of that at all - I didn't feel even the tiniest bit embarrassed buying it and there wasn't the slightest hint of "I shouldn't be doing this". I just enjoyed it and knew that it was perfectly 100% OK because it was in my plan. I also suddenly realised that I have only eaten Icecream once in 2 months and the sky hasn't fallen in!

Reading the conversations here about personals got me thinking about whether I have been indulging in some of my (signature) all or nothingness in insisting on always doing personals for everyone every time. So tonight I am going to play with being relaxed about it and just doing some - because it is very nearly time for lights out.

I believeinme2 - my heart goes out to you as it sounds like you are in such a tough place right now. You have done so so well to reach out to us all. The thing I immediately loved abut Beck is the way in which the program let's you just build up your skills step by step so I wonder whether that might be a good approach? ie: pick one thing to focus on - it might be making sure you post to us each day - it might be reading a chapter of the book each day - it might be writing down what you eat- whatever looks achievable.

Beth - good luck in your new job today!
Old 09-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #58  
Green Tomatoes

I made a reasonable substitute at supper to please DH's touchy tummy -- chicken-vegetable soup that I made up on the fly from ingredients in the fridge and pantry. I feel so competent when I do that. I couldn't have done it five years ago.

WI: -0.45kg, Exercise: +30 360/1400 minutes for September, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Lexxiss: yay for stocked healthy foods so that we can eat healthy on the fly when we need to.

maryann: The 7 DROP food program sounds like a terrific experiment. Even if it turns out that you don't have food sensitivities, the program will change your habits around all of those foods so that as you add them back in, you can do it in a way that's more sustainable.

IBelieveInMe2: have you looked into some of the things that say we really might be addicted to certain foods? The End of Overeating by David Kessler and Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss were so helpful to me because they helped me see that it's not all my fault. The foods that I found irresistible were designed and engineered and marketed to be precisely that. I needed to take some pages from the AA book, develop some righteous indignation at the food industry, and pull out the big guns of CBT techniques from Beck to stand a chance of winning.
Losing weight in our environment is possible, but it's probably the hardest thing any of us will accomplish in our lives. You'll need your Higher Power and approximately a thousand structures, strategies, tips, and tricks to make it happen. There's no way that can happen over night. That's why both Beck books are designed to be worked through over a period of time and to build up habits to be used forever.

bethfromDayton: ouch for the sweets table. Did you learn anything? Hummus and veggies apparently isn't a big enough weapon. What else might work?
All the best in your new job -- can't wait to hear how your first day goes!

ForMyGirls: besides losing weight, the other thing that has really helped my back is that I don't bend over from the waist any more. I did squats and lunges as exercise to get strong enough so that I can lower myself that way when I work in the garden and house. And, then, I had to learn to do squats while lifting with long-handled tools. Anyway, as your back improves, you might ask your physio to help you with those movements. Strong legs protect my back.
Cool experience with the chocolate bar. I love that aspect of the Beck program that a planned treat turns out to be so much more of a treat than anything I did before.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 09-09-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #59  
Enjoying la bella vita

Super quick check in on a very busy work day. Slept poorly last night, but not especially worried about work, just awoke (along with DH) every hour or so. Worried that I was on a bad track this morning as I ate my mid-morning snack right after breakfast on the drive in. I NEVER do that. And often the midmorning snack is moved to afternoon before the drive home. Well, able to stave off any further craziness and just now ate my lunch. The sign in my desk (what you're looking for isn't in here) helped me today. I did open it up twice for who knows what.

MIL birthday is today - we were compiling an old fashioned basket. She is diabetic. We'd picked up old fashioned all sorts of candy/choc/caramel corn. Then looked at it and were like WHAT did we do? So pulled out most of that and are adding more old movies, healthy popcorn, etc. Kind of a reality moment of what the heck? Esp as she's not one to savor a small bit. So that will get done on the way home, hopefully.

Weight remained the same this morning. Got back on the scale holding something heavy to make sure that it's not just reading the same weight
Old 09-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #60  
Enjoying la bella vita

IBelieveInMe - I'm going to aim to write a better note later, but I think many if not all of us have been there, whether recently or awhile back, and can feel exactly what you are struggling with. Don't stress about not feeling 100% committed. Focus on dealing with it a meal at a time, or a snack at a time. Hang in there!!
Closed Thread