Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 190/185/179

Height: 5'4"

Oh Beck Buddies, I'm really having some regression issues. Haven't moved forward past monitoring hunger/cravings... And haven't tracked calories in I don't know how long. Going to try and do my advantages and check-in FIRST thing in the morning before I get sidetracked with anything else. On the upside, I have been refining my advantages so that I'm quite happy with them. I remember reading that it is helpful to visualize each advantage, rather than just rush through them, so I've added extra comments after each to help me do so. I've also been reordering them until they seem "just right". Hope my OCD tendencies will eventually spread to my diet!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #17  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I didn't write down a plan, but the day went according to what I had in my head. I was hungry some, but that's okay, food came along before I really missed it.

I have a written plan for today.

WI: +0.05 kg, Exercise: +45 105/1400 minutes for August, Food: N/A op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

silverbirch: lovely to have you pop in and assist with our intercultural understanding!

Tracey_on_a_journey: glad to see you back and that the elliptical is working for you as you recover.

3rdTimeLucky: cool that you're using back to school as a good time to get things in order.

nationalparker: sounds like a wonderful trip!

bethfromDayton: great job negotiating a day that had Uno's Pizza in the middle of it.

maryann: glad to have you back as well. It does seem like we suddenly pulled in a lot of energy.

ForMyGirls: yay for all the good spring activities! Thanks for the information about playing elastics -- I've never heard of or seen it!

reesuh: welcome back! You've picked a good time to get reoriented with lots of us here working through what it takes to sustain a healthy lifestyle.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #18  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Red face Starting over..... again!!!

Hello All,

Just coming back to tell you that I bought a brand new pink Beck book and workbook. I am going to start over and write new notes and ideas for THIS time around. I am still recovering from my 7/16 foot surgery, but I hope to get the okay to exercise today at my doctor appointment. Foot is still really swollen, but the pain is getting better each day. If you'll have me again, I'd like for you all to be my coaches. I will do my best to do personals, but it feels overwhelming right now. I need time to catch up and get in the swing of things again. I have looked around on the internet for the "perfect" group for me, but all signs tend to point back to the "healthy lifestyle" changes advocated by Dr. Beck and this group. After my foot surgery and free eating during recovery, I have my work cut out for me. I am at a NEW all-time high. I am still on meds that make my weight loss more difficult, but I know it can be done since I've lost weight on these meds one other time. I deserve to give myself another chance, so here I am. It is good to see that some of the "regulars" are still around and I look forward to getting to know all of the new people (since I was last here). I will weigh myself tomorrow morning and adjust my signature accordingly. My goal weight is still 150 lbs. I am thinking I have about 65 pounds to lose. I can do it...... one pound, one day, one healthy choice at a time!

Waving hello to everyone!!!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #19  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Welcome back, IBelieveInMe2! I've been struggling myself without having had surgery to limit my activity, just choosing to do other things instead of what I should be adding to my day. MAJOR CREDITS to you for coming back!

59 days until Halloween - well, that was this morning through end of Oct... but it's easy for me to stick with that countdown SO far, no changes - hoping that the scale will drop a smidge here soon. Ate well again today, plenty of veggies and non-processed foods.

First day back at work was busy and strange. I missed a meeting that was on my calendar - totally forgot about it. The sun still set tonight, and will come up tomorrow. Guess we're all expendable

Not much news on this end ... trying to get caught up after the trip. I'm already counting down the work days until the weekend. DH works Fri-Mon, so little together time now. At least it's days.

Need to redo my advantages card yet again. I started writing in the morning and then with the trip I skipped that - I liked the early morning fresh focus, and will do that again tomorrow. Writing seems stronger than reading to/for me.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches. Long day which is still not over. I am finishing some work up in the library while DS is at music lessons an hour away from our house.

Dinner was a green smoothie. Too much snacking to label the day OP but credit for lots of fruits and veggies and at least some sort of structure to meals. Work makes me an amnesiac. I forgot that eating in a disciplined manner is important to me. I am also a grand martyr. Look how hard I am working. I deserve chocolate. Yikes!

Grateful to checkin and recenter myself.

Last edited by maryann; 09-03-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #21  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Today being Tuesday and the first workday of the week kept confusing me--but I had my OP breakfast, lunch, and snack, and then made a pretty reasonable dinner out choice--but blew it by eating past fullness so that I was actually uncomfortably full. Still some credits there for picking grilled chicken and provolone over a calzone!

Exercise was two walks--I still have to figure out what I'm going to do next week when I start my new job and won't be able to take "walk breaks".

Take care, all.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

I realised that yesterday I forgot to include credits in my post (well at least explicitly) so I am making sure I do it tonight. So: i am giving myself a huge whopping great credit for the fact that my back troubles (which touch wood seem to be resolved) did not make me fall off the wagon. Who knows how many 'health kicks' of my past have been waylaid by an injury - so to stay on the path through an injury is a really huge change. Credit today for not adding in a carb serve just because a slice of crusty bread would have gone so well with the dinner. Credit today for recognising that I was due and needed a relaxed day and taking it. Credit for eating my lunch outside in the beautiful sunshine and taking the time to relax and soak it up after I finished eating.

Reesuh - it can be so hard to know sometimes what is procrastination and what is taking our time to do things properly - but ultimately I figure as long as you're moving in the right direction (i.e.: changing the way you think) then it doesn't matter how slowly you move!

Gardenerjoy - "food came along before I really missed it" was a helpful thing for me to hear - I shall remind myself of that next time I have an explicably hungry day

IBeliieveinMe2 - absolutely I'll be one of your coaches! Someone a while back had a fabulous quote in the signature line - a Margaret Thatcher quote - something about "the most important things in life have lots of failed attempts before success" or something like that. Wish I could remember it because it was so right for where you are at. Getting back on the horse is way harder than staying on so yay to you for coming back! And don't let concern about doing personals hold you back from posting - I know that for me reading about everyone's day is motivating and powerful, whether or not there are personals - and I tend to write personals every time because it helps me feel connected to you all - not because I think I need to.

National parker - hang in there with that belligerent scale of yours - one of these days it will move!

Maryann - "I deserve … " - man I know that saying oh so well. Well done for all those fruit and veggies.

Beth - it is great that you are thinking ahead to how you will fit in your exercise once you start the new job. I a remembering that there is a bit in the book (pretty early days) about creating your schedule and prioritising what you do to work out where you can make time for exercise and planning. Maybe use that to work out where your exercise will fit in?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #23  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I had to quickly come up with a new scheme for lunch when what I thought was in the fridge wasn't. And another change at supper to accommodate DH's touchy tummy, probably due to stresses related to MiL's slower than expected recovery from knee replacement surgery.

WI: -0.3kg, Exercise: +45 150/1400 minutes for August, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

IBelieveInMe2: no worries about doing personals! I started with the green book and then, about a year or so into this, went through the pink book. It really helped to go through all of it from the beginning. Like they tell smokers -- the previous times were practice! Glad to have you back.

nationalparker: the scale will catch up!

maryann: I'm an entitlement eater, too. Structured, pre-planned eating doesn't address the problem directly but still is the best solution I've found. Also, a response something like this: "I deserve a healthy, fit body and all of the other things I put on my advantages card."

bethfromDayton: yay for a mostly OP day. I loved when I had a job on a campus where walk breaks were an easy way to exercise. Will you need to change both the timing and the type of exercise?

ForMyGirls: I think one of the big changes for me on this journey (as opposed to previous ones) was continuing through injury. There's even better news to come -- I injure myself much less frequently at my lower weight and heal faster!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 190/185/179

Just finished going over my advantages and want to keep doing small things that will keep me on track and moving in the right direction. My biggest issue is eating *after* dinner. I know I'm not hungry, but I wind up eating anyway, on autopilot. Need to figure out some strategies to stop this.

This is my first attempt at personals, It'll probably take me a little while before I'm able to give coach-like feedback. Please bear with me!

gardenerjoy: thanks for the welcome back!

IBelieveinMe2 Hi! I joined the group last month.

NationalParker I like the early morning focus, too!

Maryann This board has helps me recenter, too.

BethfromDayton credit for staying OP during the day, getting exercise, AND making a reasonable dinner choice!

ForMyGirls thanks for the insightful feedback. I'm committed to sticking with it and moving in the right direction!
Old 09-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #25  
Enjoying la bella vita

So far, so good in getting back into our routine. Made dinner last night that was on plan and tonight’s (knockoff chipotle chicken burrito bowls) looks good already. Have the lime and cilantro ready for the rice, and will do that, black beans, grilled chicken, pico de gallo and add a little shaved corn on the cob. I’m more excited than I should be about dinner tonight  - actually just hoping the rice comes out good.

Scale finally nudged down a bit, so I’m pleased that it’s not staying up there. Hope to be able to drop my ticker by the weekend. Even by a pound. Set 165 as my goal for Halloween and plan to keep making progress.

Reesuh – I often face the temptation of eating after dinner, especially when I eat earlier. Can you save a treat from another time of the day and enjoy it then? Or would something like hot tea or light coffee drink or light cocoa fit the bill? I don’t like hot drinks in the summer, but I do like them at night to signal “off” …

ForMyGirls – Great credits. I’m thankful that you include them because it makes me think about what I should get credit for. I’m going to take credit today for going home and making a salad for lunch when our lunch plans to the farmer’s market folded. Saved some calories for dinner, and while it wastes gas, I listen to a good book on cd and enjoy the summer sunshine here.

GardenerJoy – Love your line about the previous times being practice. I’m a practice pro, in that case (in weight loss removal).  Kudos to you for making good choices when situations have changed at last minute. I tend to view that as a freebie – like when in college and a professor didn’t show up. I used to be excited – not thinking – hey, I’m paying for this! I’m paying for the choices I make with my healthy eating, too – I can pay for it or it can pay me back, I suppose!

Beth – Congrats to you and your hubby on your combined loss! That’s awesome. I’d love to see my DH get on board with me … so far so good  but we’re only a few days in.

Maryann – Add me to the grand martyr list. I need to write that down – chocolate is not the reward. Fitting into clothes is a reward!

Bill – Hope you’re enjoying a wonderful trip! I’m trying to find the money and time to take DH to Rhode Island (visit extended family, Federal Hill, Waterfire in Providence) and Mass. (whale watch off P-town and Cape Cod league baseball games, etc.) so reading your description of just looking at the ocean to see it, is magical. We’re a ways from it, so savor those glimpses. Ahhh…

Last edited by nationalparker; 09-04-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: added bold
Old 09-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

OMG - I cracked the 100 today! Sooooooo stoked
Old 09-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

bethfromDayton: Planning for excersise is always problematic, especially after a work day. Zero motivation. I hope the difficult transition works out for you.

ForMyGirls: Three cheers for back problems exiting the scene. Today is the first day I felt no pain at work. What a relief!

gardenerjoy: You are right. I need to have a post it on my desk: I deserve a healthy, fit body. I will also add: Breathe.

reesuh: gardenerjoy had a trick after a meal. She would tell herself "The kitchen is closed." Nationalparker, I think, added to it by putting a stoold in front of the kitchen entrance.

Today was a better eating day at work. I stuck 90% to plan. Yeah! Weight is 1 pound above ticker.

Last edited by maryann; 09-04-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #28  
Enjoying la bella vita

Default Whoo hoo!!

ForMyGirls - MAJOR dancing icons for breaking that mark. Good job! It's motivating to see success here!

My dinner went great - the new recipe was a big hit for both me and DH. I stopped soon after being satisfied, so didn't do perfectly, but am proud of how the day has gone so far. Now to keep that kitchen closed!!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 170/168/153

Height: 5'2

Good evening! Today is a pretty good day. I did give into a craving. Had chocolate pretzels for dinner. Boo. But I was on plan for my other meals so that is good.

Credit? Hmmm...let me think. I vacuumed my car out today and sweated A LOT for a couple of hours (work, plus doing a serious vacuuming in my car).

Hope everyone starts out strong tomorrow!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:37 AM   #30  
Start Date - 03/08/13

Hi all,

Just going back over the posts. How are you doing reesuh? I could have written you post about not getting past that exact same stage! And I too have vowed to start each day as I know I'm meant to! I'm following Joe The Juicer's plan at the moment. In the evenings I have the most delicious juice - red or black grapes, blueberries and a bunch of mint. It is sooo refreshing.

ForMyGirls well done - that's fab!

I pigged out on crap yesterday. Not as much as I would have before Beck but enough to make me feel utterly yuck. And in fact I actually rated how bloated and uncomfy I felt on the discomfort scale and I got up to an 8 at one point. When doing it to record hunger it only got as high as a 5. That's a BIG lesson for me.

Anyway, feeling good today and going to keep on keeping on.

Have a good day everyone. Back later...
Closed Thread