Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #121  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Lightbulb eureka!

Oranizing Becksters, Hello!

My MIL had offered me storage space in a small unheated shed next to her house. She's mentioned it a few times, but think, what can I put in there? I only have paper to store-- I don't! While oggling my brand new drywall walls in the studio today I pulled forward all the stuff that needs to leave the studio and the bulk of it could be stored in an unheated shed. All my market display stuff can go there. It's all metal and sticks and some fabric and plastic. AWESOME and I hope it's still available for me to use! I'm going to call and ask tonight. The other stuff can be sandwiched between the desks and the wall. It's all coming together. Very pleased! My special purchase will be a chair with wheels for my space. A nice highback office chair. My heater didn't come today. I hope it arrives by the end of the week!

I picked up my mom's laudry from her place and since this gets me thinking about laundry, I'm going to take 15 minutes (setting the timer) to focus on the clothes pile in the bedroom. We'll see how far that gets me. Past experience tells me it'll be significant.

Bye for now.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #122  
in development

Onebyone, is your MIL's shed dry? I live in such a wet area this is always on my mind when I think about storage.

Today I'm travelling to the other side of the country for a funeral tomorrow. Credit for going by train rather than driving. Credit for going via London and having my hair cut by an old friend.

5 - emptied and put away the suitcases and other bags
6 - cleaned sitting room window and window ledge
7 - reconciled bank account, did all the sewing
8 - sorted out little freezer
9 - cooked Seville oranges (and also bought the crystallised ginger for the marmalade)
10 - unplanned editing and translation
11 - unplanned editing and translation
12 - sliced peel, cooked pith & seeds for pectin, added lemon juice and froze Seville oranges
Old 11-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #123  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Safe travels, silverbirch!

Yesterday as we made smoothies, our vitamix again showed a problem with some leaking oil. Calling the company has been on my mind for months. Why not just do it? Because I imagine the hassle of mailing it off for repair....
Co# was right on the back. I called and they determined the leak comes from the container bearings not the base. They offer 1 free container replacement with the warranty so it's on it's way. Yay!
And!!! Major credit for registering it when I bought it so this fix IS covered by warranty. It's the first question they asked me...."did you register it when you purchased it?"

November "Project" Daily Log (rental #1, #2, #3)
1.change locks(#3),wash all floor vents(#2), test floor stain(#2)
2. Drive up and check heat after work (real job)
3. Same as day 2 plus email contractor and make two addl. calls regarding carpet installation
4.drive up after work then call contractor to ask why they didn't show up, contacted helper to discuss bathroom issue(#2)
5. Drive up with helper to look at bathroom(#2), remove couch and mattress and tear out carpet/pad (#3)
ETA-listed to piano which was left at(#2) with local free cycle group
6. Figured out new configuration for carpet/linoleum replacement (#3)
7. 3 helpers today! We painted 4 rooms (#1) and continued cleaning ceiling (#3). I made 2 more connections regarding piano and contacted another tenant regarding a perspective renter
8. carpet process started...we picked out carpet and got set up in the system for our measure, visited restore and picked up some electrical covers, dropped curtains off for drycleaning and had 3 helpers cleaning/painting
9. worked at restaurant but did go up after work and did initial tear out in bathroom that needs complete tear out.
10. did home chores before work. Sunday....no work at the rental projects
11. Called homedepotcredit before work to order addl. card and change mailing address. Went up after work and checked each vacant rental to make sure heat/water was ok for my leaving. Noticed heating vents hadn't been put back in after floor painting so I put them back before leaving.
12. Ended vitamixprocrastination and resolved ongoing issue.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #124  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default Hello!!

Hi De-Clutterers, I've been absent for months. I was active here almost exactly one year ago, when I jumped in to commiserate about our challenges and projects.

Lexxiss, you now have multiple rentals to take care of?? but I see how your home infrastructure is on maintenance basis and that is fantastic

I also remember onebyone, gardener'sjoy, geoblewis, and Hi to others

My living room project, which i told of last year, has been in maintenance for one year now - YAY. Small piles do start to accumulate and I ruthlessly deal with them, lol (My situation is a DH who 'does not see' clutter and is loath to get rid of ANYTHING, even an empty junk mail envelope; and a DS who is easy going but not as tidy-oriented as I'd like )

Another project that has stayed in maintenance is the kitchen glassware cabinets, I bravely removed many items last year, expecting to get flak about it (novelty cups and glasses) but not a word, and putting away glasses and such is so much easier when you are not fighting for space.

Now..I have 2 more major challenges. One is to make our tiny dining room, useable again. It has a large computer wall unit thing taking up one wall, and this workspace is abandoned by my DH, he does his computer work upstairs now. There are so many discs, software things, I folders, stuff that I don't know is important or not, and he is soooo very loath to tackle it. There is a shelving cabinet that only holds our collection of Waterford crystal. And a small dining table that has a small amount of stuff on it.

As onebyone mentioned, I also want a place to SIT like a normal person and eat a meal, NOT in the living room.

DH will not do this on his own. I am willing to do all the hauling to reuse, recycle, dump...but I can't make the decision on throwing out something electronic that might have sensitive info on it.

so this is always frustrating for me.

The second project is the back porch, I mentioned it last year, it is 'out of sight, out of mind' until you go out there and go out of your mind, lol. DH and sometimes DS have put stuff back there, for years, when they don't want to deal with it.

Yesterday I started on one corner..I was getting very angry at what I was finding. Empty boxes, when they bought electronics and were too lazy to break down the boxes. Multiple computer towers, multiple monitors, multiple dvd players, a tv. I counted FIVE Christmas tree base/holders (when DH can't find something he just buys more)

I took a carload to the ReUse center and filled our trash/recycle bins. There is a noticeable difference in that one tiny corner. But it's a start.

Anyway, wanted to say Hi and continue on, ladies!!

read the following a few pages ago -

"Really an eye-opening lesson for me, going through my mother's house. I don't care to make life so hard on my sons when I'm old. I'd rather they wanted to spend time with me rather than clear out my house someday."

I am almost 53 years old but both my parents are gone. I had to deal with my dad's home and estate..thank goodness he was not a hoarder and just had 'normal' amounts of life possessions in his condo. My mom was living in a 19 room farmhouse but did not have abnormal amounts of items either. I will NOT put our 2 sons through the horrible hassle of dealing with our stuff.

Last edited by VermontMom; 11-14-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #125  
in development

Holly

Tomorrow I plan to clean three small shelves of plaster dust as well as putting away my things from this lightning trip cross-country (still on the train).

5 - emptied and put away the suitcases and other bags
6 - cleaned sitting room window and window ledge
7 - reconciled bank account, did all the sewing
8 - sorted out little freezer
9 - cooked Seville oranges (and also bought the crystallised ginger for the marmalade)
10 - unplanned editing and translation
11 - unplanned editing and translation
12 - sliced peel, cooked pith & seeds for pectin, added lemon juice and froze Seville oranges
13 - hair cut
14 - funeral
Old 11-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #126  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Silverbirch

yesterday I dragged out to my car the following; a huge TV set (why don't manufacturers put just 2 little handles or indents on big bulky things??) a Tangerine Mac, two computer towers, broken pedestal fan, a dog kennel big enough for a St. Bernard, a direct vent heater, a bag of misc. computer related cables, a bag of household re-use stuff. Cost - $3.50. Sense of accomplishment - Priceless

Still have only progressed about 6 feet though
Old 11-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #127  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Most of my routines have fallen apart in the last week but, for some reason, this one is still going. Actually, I know the reason. It's because I have a log and a daily streak going. It's embarrassing how well that works for me. Apparently, I need to start logging some of my other things.

So, anyway, I want to update my log before I lose track. And pledge to do 10 minutes of filing today even though it's going to be another strange one.

November organizing tasks log:
1. Organize writing stuff
2. Finish organizing writing stuff
3. Implement new scheme for time management
4. 10 minutes filing project
5. 18 minutes filing project
6. 10 minutes filing project
7. 10 minutes filing project
8. 10 minutes filing project
9: 20 minutes filing project
10: 50 minutes filing project
11: Winterize and bring home things from the cabin
12: Work with DH to organize travel supplies
13: Prep for cleaning crew
14: 10 minutes filing
Old 11-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #128  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Holly! Welcome back! I will enjoy reading your progress!

It's been several days since I've posted. Hopefully I can accurately update my list. Reminded of my ongoing list, I have made progress every day!

Tomorrow, I start my 3 day stint at the restaurant. I have been keeping up with household stuff and will complete something before I leave tomorrow.

3. Same as day 2 plus email contractor and make two addl. calls regarding carpet installation
4.drive up after work then call contractor to ask why they didn't show up, contacted helper to discuss bathroom issue(#2)
5. Drive up with helper to look at bathroom(#2), remove couch and mattress and tear out carpet/pad (#3)
7. 3 helpers today! We painted 4 rooms (#1) and continued cleaning ceiling (#3). I made 2 more connections regarding piano and contacted another tenant regarding a perspective renter
8. carpet process started (#2&3)...we picked out carpet and got set up in the system for our measure, visited restore and picked up some electrical covers, dropped curtains off for drycleaning(#2) and had 3 helpers cleaning/painting#1/3)
9. worked at restaurant but did go up after work and did initial tear out in bathroom that needs complete tear out. (#2)
11. Called homedepotcredit before work to order addl. card and change mailing address. Went up after work and checked each vacant rental to make sure heat/water was ok for my leaving. Noticed heating vents hadn't been put back in after floor painting (#3) so I put them back before leaving.
13. Called and made appt. for carpet measure,(#2/3) called and ordered install for new gas meter,(my own rental) **successfully**took apart plumbing and fixed my own tub drip.
14. Worked on my bathroom tub reno at swimhouse for 1 hr and traveled over to meet carpet measurer.
15. Put together project payroll and got checks issued and distributed. Returned message from H.Depot regarding carpet, wrote check and delivered to heater guy, initiated process of ordering extra cabinet necessary for furnace ducting.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #129  
persist

Thumbs up weekend plans

Hi

We're getting a bonus warm weather weekend so I'm going to take advantage and move my extra stuff to MIL's shed tomorrow. We're also storing our bikes there which makes me feel good.

My heater arrived today. It's twice as wide as I expected and half as heavy. Can't wait to turn it on in the studio tomorrow ans see what it can do!

Here at home I did go through the baskets of clothes but need to take amore serious look at it all soon. But first I need ti tackle the small pile that's in the middle of the kitchen floor. I'd like to clear that away this weekend. It's really an eyesore.

Lexxiss I think I would have to write detailed lists to keep all three of your projects moving forward not to mention the needs of your mom and DH and of work. That's some fancy living you're doing these days! Big Credit to you! Are you able to get your hot springs at all??

Better be off. to everyone here.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #130  
GlenwoodHotSprings

onebyone, happy moving! I did get over to the pool house this week. The first visit for me since Sept. It was nice but short. The rentals are complicated because they are all in different stages and much depends on others showing up when they say they will. My brain is pretty organized these days and the question is always what can I do TODAY. I can plan to paint ceilings on tues/thurs but if the drywall guys put me off for two weeks it doesn't happen until they finish and I just keep doing other things. I do have a long term priority which is get my easiest one 100% ready for the re-rent first...then prioritize the second....then we will work on the big one which needs a bathroom reno...complicated.

I went to bed early and woke early, too. I accomplished many chores around the house AND FINALLY broke down and organized the file for my personal rental reno. It feels good now that it's finished. credit.

8. carpet process started (#2&3)...we picked out carpet and got set up in the system for our measure, visited restore and picked up some electrical covers, dropped curtains off for drycleaning(#2) and had 3 helpers cleaning/painting#1/3)
9. worked at restaurant but did go up after work and did initial tear out in bathroom that needs complete tear out. (#2)
11. Called homedepotcredit before work to order addl. card and change mailing address. Went up after work and checked each vacant rental to make sure heat/water was ok for my leaving. Noticed heating vents hadn't been put back in after floor painting (#3) so I put them back before leaving.
13. Called and made appt. for carpet measure,(#2/3) called and ordered install for new gas meter,(my own rental) **successfully**took apart plumbing and fixed my own tub drip.
14. Worked on my bathroom tub reno at swimhouse for 1 hr and traveled over to meet carpet measurer.
15. Put together project payroll and got checks issued and distributed. Returned message from H.Depot regarding carpet, wrote check and delivered to heater guy, initiated process of ordering extra cabinet necessary for furnace ducting. ETA-set up appt.(next Tues) for heating guy to come check out and explain complicated furnaces(one which isn't working) (#2)
16. household chores and reorganization of personal rental file.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #131  
Green Tomatoes

Still keeping up my daily streak of this and of my exercise. Daily streaks work for me. I'm going to use these two things as the foundation for getting the rest of my life back on track.

15: 25 minutes filing
16: 10 minutes filing
Old 11-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #132  
persist

Thumbs up studio prep

Hello

More studio prep today. I'm going to see if I can install the ceiling heater on my own. It needs 3' clearance all around it to safely function. I have a non-functioning set of fluorescent lights up there which were installed for me, so I'm hoping that if I can take these down I can put my heater in its place. It'd be great if this was the solution. Otherwise there is a plank of wood at the very top of the wall. Maybe I could attach to it? We'll see.

And, since there is so much room in that shed, I am going to take another look at my studio to see if I have anything else that could go there.

Today I'm going to deal with the kitchen pile. I already had to go into it to fish out the empty rubbermaid bin, so it's time to focus there as well.

silverbirch you asked if the shed was dry, well it's not waterproof. I think it's dry enough so long as the rain isn't heavy or prolonged. It's an aluminum shed with some daylight showing at the seams. I was told the ceiling once caved in due to heavy snow accumulation. The interior has been reinforced with a piece of lumber spanning its length in the ceiling, and then another propping that up from the floor beneath it. I was also warned that if the wind blows the snow at the door, the doors could buckle and/or open. So, whatever goes in there needs to be able to take this, and so, my 1930's vanity, now filling my bedroom closet, can't go there. Too bad.

Okay time to get on it.
Have a fruitful and productive day.

Last edited by onebyone; 11-17-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #133  
GlenwoodHotSprings

I had to think about it since a had a long day at the restaurant. Then I remembered.... Very early this morning I wrote a concise and polite email to the drywall guy explaining how I felt about things and why it was important that he finish this job in a timely fashion. He has not answered back. Oh well. I also drove up to the project after work and checked each unit to make sure the heat was on and the water was dripping.
I will update my log tomorrow. I am very tired and posting from my iPhone.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #134  
Green Tomatoes

I thought I'd do more filing today, but we had a wind storm, so I picked up sticks in the yard instead. I'll work on files more tomorrow.

15: 25 minutes filing
16: 10 minutes filing
17: clean up sticks from wind storm
Old 11-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #135  
Green Tomatoes

Still didn't get back to filing, but did some research and made some phone calls -- to deal with the city about a tree that fell in the wind storm, to get a survey, and to get some bids on other tree removals.