Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – July 2013 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 07-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Canada Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Cheers to all our Canadian friends on Canada Day. Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including chomping a few sugar snaps from the vine in our garden. There is no question in my mind that the Garden of Eden had sugar snaps. Was pleased that I had not a single nibble from the table of snacks at coffee hour in the morning - mostly manufactured stuff from packages but some homemade coffee cakes as well. My Sabotaging Thought was that the broken oatmeal raisin cookies would be OK to eat. Broken cookies reach down into my early childhood when cookies were being baked and any kids hanging around could snarf down the broken ones.

Expanding the mind exercise was the Samurai! exhibit at the Museum of Fine Arts. The detail and quality of the armor greatly improved over the 250 year period of peace when it was used for ceremonial purposes only. Body exercise was weeding our small community garden. Ouch! Weeding begins to feel repetitive after just a few minutes. All weeds begin to look alike. My back knows that I've done this.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – An encouraging thought, "... since a few other good habits seem to be coming along for the ride." Kudos for 1000 minutes even while still dreaming of Paris.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Hats off to the amount of walking it takes to run a restaurant - I'm impressed at a million steps. Yay for clothes fitting nicer.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Neat to stake out your goal, "I'm committed to our vacation not being a setback for my weight loss." Kudos to your DD for helping by moving your half-burger to the unused table.

sparks17 – You've got me drooling for pignoli cookies - Super Kudos for those still being in the bag. LOL at, "hoping it will rain" as a strategy for dealing with that biergarten.

Readers -
Quote:
day 3 Eat Sitting Down

what are you thinking?

You might find that the urge to eat while standing persists and that sabotaging thoughts get in your way. Be prepared to write Response Cards. Here are some common sabotaging thoughts with suggested responses.

Sabotaging Thought: I enjoy spontaneous munching. I don't want to stop eating while I'm standing.
Helpful Response: I need to sit down to eat. When I eat standing up, I just don't notice what I'm eating. I could eat way too much without realizing it. If I want to be thinner, I have to impose this rule on myself. I might not want to give up this behavior, but I'll enjoy being thinner so much more.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 72.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #3  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good morning! Cool, showery and breezy here as we enter July.

_Bill_ Do you kneel down to weed? I use a kneeling mat and have found that my knnes and back thank me. Squatting is my second choice.

-GardenerJoy_ Thank you for the term "eating place". I'm still playing with it to see if it fits into my language but it's so much better for me than "eating seated" which is too clunky for me. Hmm, sleeping place, dwelling place, eating place. Maybe. "Designated eating place"? Possibly. Anyway, I'll join you in focussing on this for as many days as it takes.

Have a good week, all.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

Good morning!!! Today's plan is reasonable, I exercised before breakfast and I am trying to enjoy some summer vacation...even though it is still raining!

I have a project this week - cleaning out my storage room. Not looking forward to the hard decisions. I am by nature a pack rat but I make myself go through our stuff twice a year so I stay on top of things. I want to plan to treat myself with food as a reward when I accomplish something difficult...so I am working on recognizing and neutralizing those sabotaging thoughts!!! And I have a different reward lined up. I read the first Game of Thrones book over the past few days and I am looking forward to finishing them all asap. But I can't just read them as I will get nothing done..so I will need to finish the storage room without ignoring my regular housework before I can start the next one. Very motivating!!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #5  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Another summer Monday, leaving me longing for another long weekend. At least I don't have to wait weeks for that.

Struggling this morning to NOT snack despite being food satisfied. Mom was taken to the ER by ambulance last night and I HATE living 16+ hour drive from parents at times like these. She was admitted and I'm hoping things improve steadily. I worry for my father, who is capable, but the caregiving is taxing, I know. I have reached into my desk drawer for Cinnamon Puffin cereal to eat dry, oh i don't know how many times this morning already.

Dinner with DH's folks went fine yesterday. Instead of a high-calorie dessert, I had a lot of miniature parfait cups with berries and sugar free/fat free pudding and whip cream - different ones and they loved them. Other dessert was I prepped chocolate cake batter and split it into miniature bundt cakes (about 4-5 bites each), mini muffin and other small rounds, etc., - will freeze the rest but used the mini bundts with conf sugar sprinkled on top and raspberries and they were beautiful and reasonable on calories (less than 100 for the mini cakes). Surprised at how many small cakes we got out of the batter. Did well at dinner; ordered appetizers that others loved but I don't like, which helps

Today we're lunching out for my boss' last week ... lots of food celebrations with this event.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #6  
Enjoying la bella vita

Following our staff lunch, I've used all my calories for the day. I knew I could excel at something this week. I need a recommitment and a refocus and a realization that I can't fix other issues with food. And everyone else but me seems to understand this.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #7  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

July Greetings!

I've been absent here--big projects cresting at work and lots of running about at home. I have actually retained my footing "on the board" and am down a couple of pounds.

I'm currently under the influence of a book I just read called "The Wheat Belly Diet" that discusses wheat and health issues. It seems to hit home for me on several fronts so I've been giving the eating plan an overhaul to see if it's worth the hassel.

So far I've been without any wheat products for 7 entire days. I guess since I was already limiting grains, it was easier to accomplish. I definitely feel less bloated and am having to eat more vegetables. So far, so good.

Enjoying Mycroft the Puppy [and thanking Heaven that I'm not putting on weight like he is!] and dipping into a fun summer book off the bestseller Kindle list: World War Z: an Oral History of the Zombie War.

Best to everyone here,

spanky
Old 07-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #8  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Day 3 of our vacation (yup, I'm checking in from Ft Worth, on vacation)--I got up this morning before DH and DS and took a nice 30 minute walk around the area our hotel is in. We only had two meals today and I stayed OP--even if I had a bit too much at both lunch and dinner. I need to be more careful with restaurant sized meals--I ordered smaller meals, but they were still bigger than I needed.

Tomorrow is Day 4--and the last day before our 4 day party starts. That will definitely be keeping me busy! We'll do much of the shopping for that tomorrow.

Take care, all!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #9  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Back from Ireland!

Hello Coaches,

I am finally home from Ireland! Obviously, I had no computer availability while there, so I have been missing in action at this group. Rather than trying to catch up with everything, I will just jump in to the July discussion. I had an absolutely wonderful vacation, but sure missed my family (DH and kids)! Quite a few very serious talks with my mom, which were long overdue. They have already gone a long way toward my healing journey and I think things will continue to improve for me. So in many ways, the vacation was life-changing for me! Very thankful for the opportunity to enjoy time with my mom and sisters and cousin, along with some very special friends in Ireland. I am happy to be home, but I will truly miss the Irish people (so incredibly friendly) and the breath-taking countryside. This trip was such a blessing and obviously meant to be.

I did not even take my Beck book or any other self-help books along on my vacation, but kept some of the Beck principles in mind. Eating was decent but unplanned, so I have to resume the practice of planning, which will be much easier while at home. We did a lot of walking while touring the Irish countryside and also got in a few planned walks, but not as much exercise as I had planned. Walked up a ton of steps (instead of taking the escalator) at the airport today. Our flight from Boston to Ohio was cancelled yesterday, so we were delayed one day in getting home, which I was really bummed about. The main thing is that I am home safely and soundly now, though! Thank God!

Beth: Enjoy YOUR vacation!!! Good for you for going with a PLAN!!!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #10  
Green Tomatoes

Almost perfect on eating in my eating places -- so lots of credit for that. I accidentally licked some mustard off my hand, so there's still a little work to be done here. But I was pleased that entire swaths of bad ideas were killed with the thought "I don't eat in the car."

BillBlueEyes: Like, silverbirch, I developed a weeding technique over time to save my back. Mostly it involves never bending from the waist and changing positions every couple of minutes. For a long time, I used a gardening kneeler bench that I could sit on or kneel on or use as a support for squats and lunges. Now, with all my winter workouts, I finally got strong enough that I can squat and lunge for weeding unless I'm doing it for an extended period.

nationalparker: I just spent most of a month trying to fix jet-lag with food. That's the second time I've tried it and it still didn't work. What is working is focusing on one good habit. And then I'll work on another one.

IBelieveinMe2: yay for a wonderful trip to Ireland (that was my trip last year).

bethFromDayton: good for you for reporting in -- it seems to be helping!

spanky: glad to see you back and reading and enjoying the puppy!

sparks17: I love a reading reward -- what a great idea!
Old 07-02-2013, 02:46 AM   #11  
Rosebud170

S/C/G: 311/208/176

Hi there coaches,
I am getting back into my groove...feels great. The time change going TO Hawaii but coming home was another story! I did water aerobics twice today...kudoses to me I ate OP and got a bunch of stuff in my pile of undesirable tasks completed. I am hoping that the scale shows something closer to the number that it indicated before the vaycay.

So...tips for vacation and staying OP...next time I will solidify my plan before leaving of reading my cards before meals, split meals with someone or eat only half of the deliciousness even if, gulp, the other half would be thrown away and drink even more waternthan I do at home.

We are having a heat wave out here this week. Love sunny weather but do not have ac since it is pricey and really only needed a few days out of the year....lots of managing windows being open and blinds going down to block direct sunlight and FANS.....lots of fans...

Looking forward to dd having a friend overnight tomorrow night..she is getting cabin fever!!!!

Cool planned snack that I had tonight: popcorn popped in coconut oil and with some black lava Hawaian sea salt on it...YUM!!!!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:46 AM   #12  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – One major event was picking up DW's car at last. She's pleased. It's gonna take some getting used to with a door that just unlocks when you grab it because the key pod is in your pocket. And locks when you touch it for the same reason. I took an apple from their fruit bowl to eat while reading the thick stack of manuals for my afternoon snack. Fed my lust for FREE food in a useful manner, CREDIT moi.

Second major event was joining maryann and her DS for dinner in Boston last night as she's out here to pick up her diploma in Vermont. Even though she has a freshly minted MFA, she let me call her Maryann, LOL. DS is a sixth grader with a remarkable comfort around adults. I pretended that I was Paleo and had beef brisket - a favorite that I don't often get - leaving the bun, CREDIT moi, and having salad instead of fries. These minor changes help to disguise that brisket has a zillion calories.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for continuing to use your neat line, "I don't eat in the car." [Thanks for the reminder that I can think of weeding as doing squats instead of serving time in h*ll, LOL.]

silverbirch – And good morning to Great Britain. [I didn't bring a kneeler or weeding bench which would have helped. I'm thinking about buying a Korean ho-mi hoe by my standard thinking that a new tool is the right approach to any task, LOL.]

spanky - Congrats for seven days on your path to have no wheat - hope it works for you. LOL at the rate a puppy gains weight - all of it muscle!

nationalparker – Sending supportive thoughts for your mom's health and the angst that goes with that. Thanks for "I can't fix other issues with food" since I'm perfectly capable of forgetting that.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Waving back toward Ft Worth. Kudos for ordering small meals in the face of restaurant's huge portions.

IBelieveInMe2 – Welcome back from Ireland. Monster Kudos for having those lifetime serious talks with you mom.

Rosebud170 – This thought is noble, but remains a challenge for me, "eat only half of the deliciousness even if, gulp, the other half would be thrown away."

sparks17"Game of Thrones" is a cool reward instead of food, Kudos. I shudder at the mention of examining stored stuff since I've got loads.

Readers -
Quote:
day 3 Eat Sitting Down

what are you thinking?

You might find that the urge to eat while standing persists and that sabotaging thoughts get in your way. Be prepared to write Response Cards. Here are some common sabotaging thoughts with suggested responses. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: It's okay if I eat standing up this one time. I'll eat my next meal sitting down..
Helpful Response: "Just this one time" is not okay. I have to face the fact that I probably can't lose weight or keep it off if I refuse to change my habit of eating while standing up.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 72.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #13  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I was OP yesterday and just as I walked in the door from work my phone rang...mom..."can you come over right now?" She had fallen and had dented her head, but other than alot of blood she seemed fine. It took a bit to clean up and head to the store for butterfly strips...we decided better than 1/2 the night at ER, although it could have probably benefitted from a few stitches. It was not a reason to put a food glitch in an already successful day. credit. I let dh have his pizza and I ate light. I need to head over before work for a forehead check in but it's also important to check in here.

BBE & Maryann, glad you enjoyed your dinner meetup!

I've gotta look at that ho-mei ho...later....lol
Old 07-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #14  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Bill - what about a mattock? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattock

Gardenerjoy - v impressed with your eating places success! I am not doing very well.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #15  
Enjoying la bella vita

My eating choices weren't good yesterday. Today = Day 1, Take 185. I weighed to see how it's trending and yowsers... food choices/portions and other reasons have me up a bit more. Earlier, two aspects of eating enabled me to be successful in weight loss - 1) eating until I was no longer hungry, and 2) cutting most snacks - they just weren't an option because rarely was I truly hungry. That is my goal for today. Those two small steps. Resetting my ticker/sig on Saturday as I'm feeling like a fraud, waiting to get back down there!

Lexxiss - Sounds like you handled a scary situation well. Never a phone call that you want to get, nor a scene you want to come in to. Hope she improves rapidly from the accident!

Welcome back, OneByOne!! Question for our Ireland travelers: I'd love to go ... but I have always viewed Ireland as a country whose main allure was the small town pubs (why is that I wonder?) and as non-drinkers, what are the top things to NOT miss? I'd love to start planning that for a trip. I know I want to take the ferry to/from Liverpool/Dublin for the tacky Beatles tour as something fun... would love suggestions either here or PM. It wouldn't be for this year, but DH is getting irritated that I just keep wanting to go back to Italy, and thought, hm...maybe we save up for Ireland instead We both want to go to France, to go to Normandy for the WWII aspect.

Bill - Excited at the arrival of the new car for you and your wife. I am a key lover and stress when we don't have a key for a rental car... be careful to not have the fob in YOUR pocket and get dropped off somewhere as she won't be able to restart the car when she stops at her destination. I'm sure everyone else knows this but ... just in case not Not saying it HAPPENED, but ...

Last edited by nationalparker; 07-02-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Closed Thread