Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #76  
Start Date - 03/08/13

Pilates done :-)
Old 08-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #77  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello again ... Evening has gone well so far. Took our dog and met up with someone who works with our parks about the trail; she asked if I'd meet up to discuss the trail habitat as they were very happy to receive my complimentary email last month and wanted to talk with someone with feet on the ground. Learned about invasive/native species and much more that I'm sure I'll forget all too quickly.

I've put off marketing since my return and that's not working well for me with limited fruits on hand. Dinner was omelet but stayed within good eating plan today. No snacking; credit.

Tomorrow breakfast and lunch will be at work in an all-day meeting. I could skip breakfast at home, but I suspect that my willpower to skip while everyone else is eating, will be slim. So I'm planning to eat wisely there. They should have fruit and tea and hopefully some healthy options. I will write that I save pastry treats for special days when I choose what I want, not from work buffet.

GardenerJoy - I'm sorry to hear about the closing of a favorite/trusted spot. That is hard. Any Trader Joe's near you?

Bill - You continue to do a great job with your walks for fruit Completely agree how much easier it is to eat wisely around others who do so.

Maryann - Very wise about your knowledge that your sobriety is the greatest gift for your son (and you)! You sound very strong. I hope you're proud of that.

Tracey - Hang in there this week; don't sweat the gummi bears - it could have been worse. Over the course of our days, that's a mini blip.

3rdTimeLucky - GREAT JOB at planning and doing pilates. It's so easy to let that slide into the "I gotta do the ironing first..." but kudos to you!

BeverlyJoy - Best of luck with the performances! Let us know how they all go when you've wrapped them up. I know your time will be tight.

Beth - That is awesome that you boxed up half your dinner and then added to it when you were satisfied. KUDOS! No wonder you're doing so great!!

OneByOne - I cannot begin to image that kind of stress. Please take care of yourself. Easy to say; hard to actually do when you have many people counting on you and turning to you with issues.

Bunnababy - Hang in there on your work days! Do you have particular challenges that you face when working that you're trying to get through? (Mine is that quite often there are HUGE boxes of chocolate around...temptation central.)

Lexxiss - Hope you're doing well! You sure are on the move a lot. So many credits to you for sticking with your eating plans while being on the go so much. When do your first snows come? We're heading out to Colo. later this month. Every year my sister tells me how early is snows on Pike's Peak...
Old 08-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #78  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Very brief tonight-I was not able to check in this morning before leaving the house and I only recently returned home. I did accomplish lots in Denver and enjoyed a very sane lunch at WhFoods. Credit. One the way home I picked up bananas and had one in the car. I immediately thought...have another one. I resisted and was happy to enjoy one of my new "comfort" meals at home. I had a gluten free Ayurvedic cereal (hot) with almond milk and raw cashews and my local double fiber toast. I noticed a feeling of contentment with that light dinner.

Hopefully here earlier tomorrow. My bro and spouse arrive from Florida for a 2 day visit.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #79  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

OP food and OP exercise today. I ended up changing my dinner plans because I had to hang out at a shopping area while waiting to get my phone fixed. I ate a restaurant there and I made good choices and did fine.

I spent the evening sewing with DD. It's obvious the pattern will need lots of adjustments, but our sample first pair told me a lot about what was needed. I'm going to have to reverse engineer all the changes I made to the short bottoms so that I can make another pair that fits properly. I haven't sewn in quite a while--it was very satisfying, and I was teaching DD as we went along.

I've got tomorrow all figured out--and then we go out of town for the weekend.

Take care, all!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #80  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default facing the scale tomorrow

Coaches

I'm determined to slowly retrieve my balance. I had another event just complete itself and I am grateful for that. The Potters' Guild sign we have been working on for a year, enabled by a grant from the mayor's endowment fund was installed today. Thank goodness. No drops, no breaks, no cracks and it fit perfectly into place thanks to the good work of the man who built us the wooden form we made out ceramic mosaic on. such a relief since (big secret) I have never done a mosaic before! But it worked! I've attached a jpg of it.

With that done, with my jazz festival over, with my gallery show set up and also done, I only have two more events to do, both fun: the company picnic at Wonderland with roller coasters and other thrill rides this Saturday and then next Saturday a weekend away to do pit firing at another potters' place. I made 3 cauldrons for the pit firing. One of them looks like someone over the age of 8 made it. the others, not so sure but they will look great going through that process. After that back to normal farmer's market until it closes in October and working in the studio toward application deadlines. Two major ones coming up that I am happy to focus on.

Foodwise, well today I truly feel I have gained some weight back. Tomorrow the scale will give me real information. I will face it.

I am planning a walk to the local community center about 30min away I guess. They have a pool and I want to pick up their schedule and see what else they do there. I am thinking of biking there, then swimming or aquabics, and biking back. trying to make that a routine for myself. So step 1 is a walk there and back. I will do that for a reason. I won't just walk "for exercise" but to go get brochure? yep.
This is on the agenda for tomorrow.

Also on the agenda, a written food plan based on the Spectrum. I'm on the extreme end of the pendulum and feel I am ready to move away from there once more. I need a focal point, a place to aim for. I need a written plan is what I need. And I need to turn away from the food again.

Btw the bad things keep coming! My sil's cat died today. Sudden illnes. Went to the vet on Friday and had two cardiac arrests while there. She died while she was on her way to see her. OMG Becksters. 4 people and 2 cats have died in my circle since January. Oh well... there is nothing to do but keep moving forward. Wow. what a year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg signisup.jpg (48.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #81  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was walking plus subway to a neat open air concert at the Boston Hatch Shell on the Charles River. A thrilling set of previews of the next season of the Boston Lyric Opera. Counts big time as day 40 Enrich Your Life stuff, CREDIT moi. Perfect weather. Gulls flying over (all flying east toward the ocean). One bat visible just at sunset. Mallards on the river swimming around the sailboats. Families picnicking. The whole shebang of a perfect evening. Of course we loved the excerpts from Mozart's The Magic Flute. But I even liked the Wagner piece. I was so relaxed I got skewered when the conductor casually announced that this year celebrates the 200th birthday of Joe Green who is considered the founder of Italian Opera. Huh? I thought. "Many of you know him as Giuseppe Verdi." Ouch - I didn't see that one coming, LOL.

Evening snack was unbelievable. At the performance, a company handed out . . . green salads!!! Couldn't believe it. DW and I split a 3 oz tub of fresh mixed greens - using only a tiny portion of the enclosed salad dressing. I've never been given a FREE green salad before, particularly at a concert. Perhaps the world is changing.

onebyone – Neat sign. Kudos for getting it completed. What a year all right. Thanks for "Oh well... there is nothing to do but keep moving forward."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Ouch for your local place closing - Double Ouch that the world can't support a place that's doing it right.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – "Ayurvedic cereal" is a new one for me. It looks yummy. Good luck with your brother's visit.

Beverlyjoy – Yay for all the performances and sane eating.

maryann - Kudos for a day turned around.

nationalparker – Sending supportive thoughts for big stuff in the air to juggle. Ouch for the extra load at work; hope you can find a way to tell the bosses that you can do XXX or YYY but not both - they choose. Stellar perspective, "I save pastry treats for special days when I choose what I want."

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Kudos for remembering how to sew with Double Kudos for the patience to teach your DD.

Tracey (Tracey on a journey) - Ouch for being attacked by 10 gummy bears, LOL. Neat that you have local strawberries at this time of year - our two week season was long ago.

ForMyGirls - Yep, Extra Kudos for finding your path when the day starts with a bad mood. [LMAO at the Capuchin monkey throwing the cuke because it wasn't fair pay - thanks for the link.]

3rdTimeLucky - Kudos for "Pilates done :-)"

Readers -
Quote:
day 5 Eat Slowly and Mindfully

How to Notice What You're Eating
Here are some tips to help you concentrate.

Focus intently on your food. Savor the taste of each bite, noting the flavor and texture of everything you eat.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 80.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #82  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up plan for today

Hi Coaches

The walk to the community centre and back is on the agenda today, as is the food planning on paper. The goal is to write it down and plan my day in advance. The other goal is to figure out how I can use the community cenre's pool.

I did *credit* step on the scale. As suspected, way up on the high end of the 250's -- actually a squeak under 260 at 259.9lbs. How I feel does show on the scale this time. I find, again, that stepping on the scale gives me the only real objective information to get focused and try try again.

Bye for now.

UPDATE:*credit* walked as planned and ate as planned. Neighbour brought me food TWICE today: 1st time=cookies solution->stored in freezer bag *credit* And this evening a plate with 6 things on it - will have for lunch tomorrow (samosa-like, kibbe, and some other thing that is flat with a paste of onion and something). She mentioned that it gies her great pleasure to share her Arabic food with us. They are celebrating the return of their 3 boys tonight who were with their uncle in Washington over the summer. She is very happy. I don't have to eat any of it. Just accept it graciously.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-08-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #83  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I woke up early and hit the deck running, getting dressed an putting on my super-duper work shoes before coffee was finished brewing. I have a full and busy day as my family arrives at dinner time. I've committed to cooking dinner at mom's which means it will be on MY plan. Lol Smoothie is finished and it's time to get my home chores done so I can go over and do moms. I must say I thoroughly enjoy and find daily gratitude for the energy and zest for life I've found through weightloss. By getting my smoothie in early I'm confident I'll get my exercise in, too, before I head to Denver for round two of errands. Credit.

BBE, thanks for enriching my life...Joe Green...that is news to me. I am totally amazed at the handing out of mixed greens. What a spectacular way to enjoy the concert and FREE! Credit for such an enriched day!

onebyone, credit for charging through all kinds of obligations and committing to facing the scale. One line you wrote really stood out to me, "I need a written plan…". I have found that the concept of the written plan that Dr. Beck teaches is a powerful tool for living life with the "constant unexpected". Through doing it every day and following it to the best of my ability I have found that it has gotten so much easier both with writing it AND with following it. Best wishes.

Beth(fromDayton), great job accomodating an OP meal while at the mall.

nationalparker, yay for a good eating plan and no snacking AND for a plan for your all day meeting. Some of the high peaks will probably be getting snow by the time you arrive. You are coming at the best time of year, for the park….all the elk activity is just incredible! We were at Estes this time last year and had the best time watching a guy with his harem (standoff included) right next to the Stanley hotel.

3rdTimeLucky, credit for recognizing that posting your intention for pilates here helps it to happen and credit for reporting back that it did.

Tracey(on a journey), yay for a scale edging downwards and for speaking up to your friend regarding the impromptu delivery of goodies.

maryann, yay for posting and turning your day around! I agree, the AA meeting sure does have a way of putting perspective back in life.

gardnerjoy, sorry to hear about your store closing. I admire them for trying yet it's just so difficult. PS had a piece of chix at WF yesterday….both DH and I commented how salty it was, especially since we don't eat out much anymore. . Kudos for another OP day.

ForMyGirls, so nice to hear that you could work your program despite a rotton start. Credit.

Beverlyjoy, kudos for the post trip check in. Best wishes for your performances!

My exercise will not happen unless I get up and do it. Have a great day, fellow coaches!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #84  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I have to slip into work this morning to get things running smoothly for the first official day back on Monday. Food in MFP and maybe a walk on beautiful shore of Lake Tahoe for a family reunion tonite through the weekend. OP 90% on a very low cal day. I understand completely that the biggest hitch in my plans is standing in the kitchen with a small teaspoon looking for a "taste." My husband is always wondering, "Where do all our spoons go?" They are always dirty.

Just for today, I will not eat anything, standing in a kitchen with a teaspoon.

Wave to all.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #85  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

My ? mark for lunch yesterday turned into a meal at Whole Foods. Last night, I did carry-out from the closing nearby local food shop as planned, but it turned out that they closed their deli already so I ended up with a veggie sandwich on a "pretzel roll." As far as I can tell, a pretzel roll is salty bread. My calories were probably fine yesterday, but way too much sodium. Today should be better.

WI: +0.55 kg, Exercise: +330 0/1500 minutes for August, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

nationalparker: I do have a Trader Joe's closer than Whole Foods, but I haven't looked much at their quick-to-prepare options. Any suggestions?
Old 08-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Another incredible jazz concert last night (there has been a festival in town). Astonishingly skilled musicians, one of the tightest, most integrated ensembles I have ever heard and this endearingly humble stage presence that made you feel like you just happened upon a group of friends jamming together. Wow!

Some credits - had one of my week's indulgences sharing a piece of Jaffa slice with my partner before the concert and noticed that I got enjoyed the small piece every bit as much as I would have enjoyed a large slice! Kept up a steady pace when riding this morning rather than slackening off. Decided to eat lunch at home before going to a lunchtime meeting that was catered.

A cool side benefit - I had an idea yesterday that involves using some of the Beck techniques to manage other life challenges. My job has two components to it - one which is full of immediate deadlines and one which is very self-directed with no clear deadlines for completion. It is really hard to give priority to the self-directed part. So yesterday it occurred to me that I can make it part of my nightly food planning to work out when in the day that follows I will make time for that self-directed part of my work. Let's see how it goes.

And some cool news - down on the scale again yesterday morning :-)

Nationalparker - sorry to hear about your challenges in talking about possible move with your DH - well done for not resorting to food for comfort. Well done too for thinking through a plan for your work breakfast

Gardener joy - what a shame about about your favourite store closing! I hope you find a replacement soon

Maryann - good to hear your day turned around - you are very good at confronting your challenges head on. And you are so right on about the need to actually feel the crappy parts. And LOL re the missing teaspoons!

3TL - yay to using this board to commit to your exercise. I really struggle with doing my planned exercise - it brings out the belligerent 2 year old in me. I made myself a "But I just don't want to" response card that gets read a lot!

Tracey- well done for staying on track during a week where time got away from you. LOL re biting the gummi bears heads. And I love the phrase "diet bombed"

Lexxis - yay to resisting the second banana

Beth - well done for being on plan, especially with the need for a change to dinner plans

Onebyone - it was lovely to read your post today - it seems like you have managed to get a glimpse of life beyond all the pain you have been experiencing

BBE - OMG re the free green salad! And LOL re I even liked the Wagner :-)
Old 08-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #87  
Start Date - 03/08/13

Evening everyone,

A brief one from me tonight. Not had the best of days but not the end of the world and could have been a lot worse. (Kudos for recognising that). Didn't sleep all that well last night so started the day very tired. Had a job interview so a little stressed. Went to the cinema with the kids and allowed for a small bag of sweets. Chicken salad no dressing for tea. But snacked a bit tonight. I would say I have been 75% OP.

I also haven't read the Beck book today and yesterday, or my cards. Defo a reminder that I need to do this every day.

But overall feeling positive still. Just missing DH who has been away for almost 2 weeks. Back next week. Not the easiest of times, with DS's broken leg. He is getting very frustrated, as am I, and older DS.

Hey ho. Tomorrow is another day...
Old 08-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #88  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Today's been a 95% OP day with a stressful evening. I am not eating over it, so credit for that.

Nothing to report--just checking in. I'm going to check in on the new exercise thread, too.

Take care, all
Old 08-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #89  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Not the greatest day for me ... thankful the weekend is on the horizon soon. Did well for the office breakfast ... so-so at lunch, but the tray of key lime pie called out to me, and I responded. Not with "I don't heaaarrrr you ..." but with "come to mama" ... and enjoyed a slice. I can't really say I savored it when you're sitting at a conference room table. But I tried to eat slowly and put my fork down between all bites. But the last bite did taste as good as the first, contrary to the three bites is the best.

Uneventful evening; stressed from work. Feel like all I want to do is sit here, journal and relax. DH is working tonight. Put on a Netflix documentary that stated that the CDC released the fact a few years ago that 400,000 Americans die each year from obesity-related causes. They were challenged and changed it to 365,000 (or something close to that) ... then were further challenged and changed it to 25,000. No idea if this is true, but if that IS true, that's interesting to me. I didn't research anything related to that.

Doing well with not grazing tonight. Could have prepared a more nutritious dinner, though. Carb-laden.

Hiking pants are tight again. It was April that they were fitting well. They're "ok" to wear, but a bit too form fitting on the rear.

GardnerJoy - I need to go look more at the prepped foods at Trader Joe's ... I typically don't buy foods that are prepped (I'm cheap, I think), but I know when at a hotel in LA and needed dinner, I went there and bought a chili lime chicken salad (not a mayo but a greens salad) and it was DELISH and filling. With black beans, corn, etc.

I'm a slug on the couch tonight. I like the idea of the exercise thread. And hope to be on that one on the weekend ...

And Bill - I LOVE the Joe Green line ha ha - never saw that one coming, either! Was that the tie in to green salads being handed out? to honor Verdi? I'm off to look up the day 40 enrich your life stuff because I think I missed what that is from, and it sounds wonderful. I need to pursue that. If it's a book, can you link? I just saw the Enrich your Sunrise book - was that it? Sorry for rambling.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 190/185/179

Height: 5'4"

I've been struggling to stay on beck task-and it's been a couple of days since I've checked in. Belated thank yous to the folks who suggested the "No eating in the car" rule. With the goal of controlling my environment, I think my rule needs to be "all food must be transported in the trunk!" Now I need to focus on managing/making time. Including making this board part of my daily routine! I've been reading everyone's posts and am feeling really good about finding this group. I look forward to getting to know you all better and becoming a source of support! My goal is to check in later today with an updated plan for reviewing my advantage response cards. My current system (my phone alarm goes off at 7:25 and 2:45) is not working.
Closed Thread