Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

I did good today. I was in a very uncontrolled environment at a catered all day work meeting. Baked treats on offer all day and dairy and carb laden mains at lunch. Credit to me not a crumb of baked treats crossed my lips. Also credit to me that I had a small serve of mains and lots of salad. The cool thing was that it didn't actually take that much effort to resist the baked goods. There was one bit where they were speaking to me but for the most part they seemed to hear my very clear, totally unequivocal "I ain't gonna go there!"

Traceyonajourney - sorry I missed your post last night - we must have been typing st the same time! Yay to a downward moving scale!

Beverlyjoy - yay to stopping before the end of the packet of ice-cream bars! And yay to checking in with us. Behaviour change is a gradual process and if you are noticing it and changing it mid-stream that is some serious progress I reckon.

Reesuh - hello and welcome. I am on Day 19 and loving having this crew as my diet coaches :-) hope you find this space useful too

Nationalparker - looking forward to hearing about those smart choices. Using spare time for yoga sounds like a fine one.

Gardenerjoy - thanks for the report card explanation. And I hear you about the "sneaking in the card reading" - whic I reckon is just fine - cause it means you read them.

Maryann - what a great choice for an anniversary gift. It sounds like you're having a blast with it.

Bunnababy - well done for keeping perspective and making good choices even when the scale was not reading as you wanted.

Lexiss - what a great step back and look at the big picture. How cool to not even be able to remember the last time you threw it all in for the day. That is quite something. Your Alaskan jam sessions sound great - the Beatles are such a good choice for amateur music-making I reckon. Such damn fine tunes.

3TL - wow to all that wheelchair pushing! And you're so right - it is a lovely thing to come on here and read about people's days. I do it last thing at night as my morning's are always so rushed and I want to have the time to soak it all in.

Beth - well done for looking after yourself and leaving personals because meal planning for yourself is more important!

BBE - you are so right on about the snacking thing happening when there is a task to be avoided. For me I think that is about using food to avoid feeling - if I distract myself with eating I won't have to notice I'm bored / frustrated / worried I can't do something well enough etc...

'Night all.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 190/185/179

Height: 5'4"

Good morning fellow coaches! Thanks for the welcomes. I bought several overcome-overeating type books through Amazon a few years back. The Beck book was one of them. A recent birthday motivated me to actually start the program and join a gym. I'm tracking food/exercise using myfitnesspal and a google search brought me to this forum.

Yesterday wasn't the best day for me. I forgot to eat lunch before going to the grocery store and some things wound up going into my cart that shouldn't have. I sat down while eating, but it was behind the driving wheel, so I don't think that counts. I'll have to come up with a special card so this doesn't happen again!

Last edited by reesuh; 08-05-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

3rdtimelucky: Great quote, "Choose your hard." That is awesome to remember especially today since Mondays and Tuesdays are my 700 calorie days.

Bunnababy: Credit for posting when you didn't want to post. That is truly the secret to my success.

ForMyGirls: There is nothing harder than an all day creep with mediocre calories hanging around — except maybe a long flight across country. Credit for resisting.

Credit for step class this morning and food in MFP. Excited because our foreman sent home with DH about 12 peel Prickly pear and I am going to juice them with my Omega juicer (bought two years ago) and then add the juice to smoothies in my Vitamix. I love my appliances. Also huge bonus that friends went ocean fishing and brought us some pacific salmon smoked. Wow, it is fresh.

Last edited by maryann; 08-05-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #49  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Super quick note as I settle in for a half day of work after flying back from Florida ... will do better one this evening. But the idea presented in the book to write what you want, not what you intend to do, but as if you have DONE it... was an interesting concept to me. So I wrote that I reached my initial goal and was able to maintain through the holidays. (I see this as a two-parter - drop down then maintain and then drop down... who knows) ... That I did it by choosing wisely and nutritionally.

This morning at the airport, surrounded by higher-class/fancier name but still the same ole fast food, I chose to try the oatmeal from Starbucks with dried fruit. Not that it was still 150 calories with the fruit, but still counting as a credit since I would have been tempted to excuse the bagel even though I hadn't planned for it.

One other thought brought forward in this book that resonated with me (because I'm terrible about reading my response cards), was this fellow wrote out his intentions each day. He needed the actual writing of it and I thought, "that's ME" ... so will start that. Apparently I'm writing and then forgetting to get them, I'll do that later... I'll do that tonight ... they're a mess in my purse. So I'm enabling myself to not make it work for me but I will try this way and write the thoughts daily. Maybe not my top 10 reasons to lose weight daily, but putting that into a top 3 that hits me first each day.

I'm going to give it a whirl. Meanwhile, have a super Monday and forgive me if I'm a multiple poster today

All meals yesterday were healthy and close to a good plan. Dessert could have been skipped.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #50  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Another 100% on plan day. I'm being more productive with the rest of my life as well. Discipline is contagious.

WI: +0.2 kg, Exercise: +50 210/1500 minutes for August, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

reesuh: very familiar with "sitting down" in the car to eat. I made a rule "no eating in the car" because it was the only way I could break my bad habits there. A bonus is that our car stays cleaner, now!
Old 08-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #51  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

It is so inspiring to get on here and read each others progress. It helps one realize that we all have totally OP days, partially OP days, and the "forget OP" days. No matter how often we tell ourselves we are not alone in this effort to lose weight, the moment the cravings strike, we feel all alone. It is such a help to have the ARC and the people here to remind myself "It will pass."

I have my menu planned for today, will work on tomorrow in a few minutes. I know from experience this works well for me because I don't have to think about food. It is what it is!

Going to try a new almond milk skinny shake today. I will post it under recipes if it's good.

Went to see the local production of Fiddler on the Roof yesterday. Really enjoyed it, they did a great job. It is my son's favorite so I took him and his youngest daughter (part of her birthday present.)

for being here. Have a wonderful Monday!
Old 08-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #52  
Start Date - 03/08/13

Formygirls well done you. That's great that you not only resisted but that you also found it relatively easy. That's real progress and it sounds like you're well on the way to changing habits for good.

Lexiss I hope I get to that point soon. I am so all or nothing in my approach to everything. The pull of making the most of a bad day and starting again tomorrow (then the same thing happening) is one of the big hurdles I need to overcome. I love the graphic in the book showing how many calories one slip can mean, and how that can escalate during the day.

Beth I agree well done for prioritising. So important to get that planning in.

Reesuh One of my rules is going to be "no eating whilst driving". I've not reached that chapter yet, this time around, but I did last time (in fact that was when I quit).

Well, another good day here. I stayed OP very nearly. Credit for going for a 2 mile run with DS in pushchair once again (DH is away for 2 weeks). Eldest DS used his scooter alongside me. I did eat 2 little squares of chocolate whilst divvying some up for the boys, and I ate one piece of fresh pineapple whilst standing up. But in the grand scheme of things, given how I struggle to stop at the smallest l'il error I don't feel too bad about these.

Hope everyone has a good rest of the day.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #53  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I got the planning in last night and the grocery shopping done after work. We also assembled one of the new shelving units for the garage.

Food was OP today except for the ice cream treat at the end of the day. I overate a bit at dinner--I thought I was feeling full, but finished my plate--and shouldn't have.

I've got tomorrow breakfast, lunch, and snack entered into MFP. Dinner is up in the air. I know what we're having if it's just DH and me who are eating. DD sees her surgeon tomorrow. If she is told she can eat, then she gets to pick dinner (probably a restaurant). Since she hasn't had solid food in 4 weeks, we'll let her pick. I'll make healthy choices wherever we end up.

BillBE, I am incapable of changing the blade in a utility knife. I get it apart, think I'm doing it right, but can't get it back together. My solution: buy another utility knife. This has been less of an issue since DH and I got married, since he changes the blades successfully, but it's why I brought so many utility knives into our marriage. (DS also can change the blade) I have them do all of them at once so I always have sharp blades. (Screwdrivers? OMG--4 full sets plus a shoebox full of additional ones.)

3rdTimeLucky: There are people (and I'm sometimes one) who think of a day as "% successful". 90% is an A, after all. So, I had an unplanned low cal treat which put me 45 calories over for the day. I count today as 95%--shouldn't have had the treat, but I can't discount all the credit for the rest of the day's food and exercise! Credit for recovering and keeping on after small slips--you were very nearly completely OP--that's celebration worthy.

Bunnababy: Good insight about everyone having various degrees of OP days. We tend to compare ourselves to "always OP", but there aren't many people are who always OP for months at a time.

gardenerjoy: Congrats for another 100% OP day--that's what we all strive for!

nationalparker: Where in which book are you right now with the example you gave? I love the way you are describing what will be.

Out of time to finish personals, but know I'm thinking good OP thoughts for everyone!
Old 08-06-2013, 03:48 AM   #54  
Start Date - 03/08/13

Beth thanks for that - I am defo going to adopt that percentages attitude. Love it.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #55  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Gym, CREDIT moi, was a good distraction from the desire to nibble. It might be time for me to look for a class to get more out of the time I spend there.

Food was OK, CREDIT moi. I did stand down some desire for extra eating. Since I've declared that blueberries have no calories, they are working just fine for snacking.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – An encouraging thought, "Discipline is contagious."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for snakes that slither to safety. And Yay for the opportunity to use 'slither' in a sentence that isn't about lawyers.

maryann - I had my first Prickly Pear when in Arizona for my Grand Canyon trip - what an unexpected nice taste.

nationalparker – Neat idea to write down the intentions of today.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Wishing your DD good luck with her visit to the surgeon today - and you good luck selecting your meal from the restaurant she chooses.

ForMyGirls - Super Kudos for standing down a whole day of catered treats.

Sue (Bunnababy) - Now I'll be humming Fiddler on the Roof tunes all day, LOL.

3rdTimeLucky - Kudos for sorting the big issues from the small.

reesuh - Shopping while hungry creates a BIG challenge - 'stuff' comes flying off the shelves into the cart, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
day 5 Eat Slowly and Mindfully

How to Notice What You're Eating
It is very easy to become distracted when you eat, which can reduce the degree of satisfaction you're getting from your food.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 80.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi.. am struggling the past couple of days. I am going to be doing some performing and keep telling myself that I'll 'start again' when that is done at the end of the week. It's crazy thinking. I may not have internet access the next few days. Hopefully, I do. Credit for not running away when I am struggling.

Hope you are doing well.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #57  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

My work day mornings are always busy. I have mandatory household chores and need to find some relaxing "at home" time with DH since he's a stay home "dad" to our pup. It takes certain planning skills to make sure everything happens AND find time for dieting, which right now includes getting my short morning exercise routine in. This morning we got up late so I scurried around and set out smoothie stuff so he'd be content to get our smoothie ready if I wasn't totally ready. I just finished my exercise routine. credit. I know it's essential to me for continued weightloss (and health).

Food yesterday was OK...SBD OP but strays from my Beck written plan. It's ok. I weighed this morning and have a plan for today. credit.

BBE, funny we were talking about lawyers this morning...lol

Beverlyjoy, credit for coming here when you are struggling. I wish you the best for the next few days, even if you don't get here due to internet.

Gotta run...smoothie awaits.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #58  
Green Tomatoes

A reasonable substitute for a snack yesterday which I rate as a 90% day. When I was losing, I had mostly 80% and 90% days, so I'm okay with that.

WI: -0.3 kg, Exercise: +50 260/1500 minutes for August, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Beverlyjoy: glad to see you here when you're struggling -- and thrilled that you're performing this week! I wrote this response a couple of months ago after I stress-ate before an event: "I want to be on top of my game for this event which means I want to eat a variety of vegetables and other healthy foods to fuel my brain and body." Maybe that would help you?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #59  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Good day! One of my cats ("mine" from before I moved here) was a complete snuggle buddy last night, and I treasured that. DH is working nights again, so she and I were the lone ones in the bed, and she does enjoy that status.

For the first time in ages, I did not snack in the evening without DH there. I kept thinking to what I'd written, how I reached my goal through portion control and few snacks. It sounds odd, but it clicked for the evening. I'm not saying that it's the "be all and the end all" but it seems to mesh great with Beck's program. Just taking it a step further in my mind. Woke up this morning and selected a new journal (I'm a journal junkie when they clearance classy looking ones out at any bookstore...) and wrote a few sentences of intention in there, along with stating I was proud of myself for reaching my goal and maintaining through the holidays. The book is, "Write It Down, Make It Happen," a quick read, though I'm not finished with it. In retrospect, I don't believe I can reach my initial goal much before the holidays, but I'm sticking with that.

Must do some marketing tonight as we're out of fresh fruit. I left DH with a bunch of fresh veggies, but he said (jokingly, but ...) "Oh, i had to prep them myself??" So nearly all of the veggies are still there, but a bit wrinkly. Onward and forward. I think my time in Florida was his vacation here, a bit.

Had a thought in my mind to see if baking biscotti to sell around the holidays was a possibility but the commercial kitchen cost was prohibitive... so nixed that idea. People are always telling me to sell it, but with pets in our home, I can't do it there for sale.

I'd like to see "20 Feet From Stardom" (anyone seen that one?) ... We've hit more movies this year so far than past years ever! Some I'm writing down to wait for the dvd release.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Boy, I need a restart. Last night, anxiety was pretty intolerable and I ate through it and then again this morning. Totally flew off the handle at DS including some old bad behavior (swearing). I am not proud of myself. I come from a long line of ragers and as a child was subjected to continual outbursts. I always thought I was responsible for the raging when in reality my parents were just suffering from anxiety. As with all learned behaviors, I have struggled with the same thing my whole adult life. Credit for talking to DS and telling him what was happening inside me ( regression, meltdown) and reassuring him nothing was his fault. He talked a little about his feelings and then I paid him $2.50 in quarters ( an old deal we made that I have to pay him a quarter for every bad word I say.)

I am deep into self hatred right now, lacking any kind of perspective ( all the good things I have done) and withholding any self acceptance. But . . . we are both quietly sitting on the coach while I type. He is playing a game. I didn't overeat because of it and I am willing sit out hese feelings and move on.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by maryann; 08-06-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Closed Thread