Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #31  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Sister's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Saw a mind depleting movie last night, The Act of Killing, after DW read a must-go review. The entire audience sat stunned when it was over - sitting through all the credits even though most actors were listed as anonymous out of fear. I'm glad we saw it; we've talked about little else since. There's awful stuff in the world.

My walk, CREDIT moi, took me to a library further from home to get a book for an adult course in physics this fall. I collected a stack of books to browse leisurely in a comfortable chair overlooking a lawn where a father played with his toddler son. Amazon is great, but nothing beats holding a book, flipping from back to front, reading bits and pieces, checking the pictures - to build a desire to read or skip a book. Put most back on the shelves (in their proper place) but had to take home a Steven Hawking book, The Grand Design - maybe I'll understand it all yet.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for DOWN!

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Happy Day Off. Congrats on the downward moving scale.

nationalparker – Kudos for the gift and the exercise of an hour of yard work at your folks' place. Gnocchi is such an easy way to accumulate carbs - Kudos for leaving half.

ForMyGirls - Ouch for feeling the need to eat "food I didn't particularly want to eat." Over the years I've developed some skills at looking like I was eating offered food while less was going in the mouth. Kudos for getting past the "woe is me" headspace.

Sue (Bunnababy) - Yep, Kudos for being aware. [Now I've got to get rid of the ear worm, "Walking in the Rain", LOL.]

3rdTimeLucky - When I first started reading the Beck book, I sped read the whole thing with the thought that there was nothing new. Then it dawned on me that possibly I was supposed to do the stuff, LOL. It worked for me to progress through the 42 days of the Pink Book.

Readers -
Quote:
day 5 Eat Slowly and Mindfully

How to Slow Down
Practice the following strategies until you naturally eat more slowly. . . .
Pay attention to your body. Look for signs that you're starting to feel full. Becoming conscious of how your body feels can remind you to slow down.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 80.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 209/199/165

Height: 5'8"

Morning coaches,
It's the Sunday of a long weekend here in Ontario. Not exactly OP yesterday but stayed under my calorie goal. Scale was down this morning. Taking our Aunt out for brunch today from the long term care facility. She really enjoys these outings and there wiIl come a time when she can't go any more.
BBE-I could never watch The Act of Killing. My DH works in forensic psychology. He says that learning of violent and terrible acts is like putting a penny in a knapsack - one is not a great weight but the accumulation of them has consequences. Anyway, I'm glad you got do something pleasant and peaceful at the library.

Last edited by Tracey on a journey; 08-04-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Credits for the day: I remembered to give myself some credits during the day; I told my lunch gues that I was on diet, which allowed me to have the tiniest sliver of pie he had brought and enjoy the experience of sharing something without getting off program; had a water to drink at a show I went to tonight.

Some imperfections: had takeaway curry for dinner tonight - it is a longstanding end of kid week tradition that I decided when I started this I was not giving up - had intended to eat it mindfully and have only half a cider but then when it came to the crunch I opted for the usual approach of a whole cider and watching our favourite show while eating. End result is that I have eaten too much. Upshot is that I have noticed I have eaten too much and that this is now an unusual feeling. Next time I shall stick to the plan of focusing on the eating and then watching the show.

Totally non-diet related cool thing - saw the most fabulous jazz duo tonight. (Pianist and singer). Amongst a rwnge of really cool stuff they performed undoubtedly the most beautiful heartbreaking arrangement of "Blackbird singing in the dead of night" - a beautiful song at the best of times but wow they took it to a whole new level. It gave me goosebumps.

Lexiss - yay to you for getting back on program after your trip away

Nationalparker - great work in picking a dish that csme with pleasure but not later temptation. Smart thinking

BBE - wow. Act of Killing sounds intense - sometimes it takes me a long time to see those sorts of important films. I know I will value having seen them but so often if I am seeing a movie it is because I want light entertainment. Sounds like it was worth finding the right headspace for.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks... yesterday was not very on plan. I asked DH to get me some Weight Watchers Raspberry Dark Chocolate Ice Cream Bars. I had the best of intentions to dole them out in a sane manner. No can do. I ate most of them and had to throw away the rest. Lesson learned. So glad every day is a new beginning. The good thing is I didn't run away from here after a nonstellar day. I am up and have a plan.

I hope you are having a great day!
Old 08-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 190/185/179

Height: 5'4"

Default New Subscriber

Hi, I'm on day 6 of the Beck Diet Solution and am hoping I can use this forum in lieu of a diet coach. I'm happy to provide support to others, as well. I've actually been on day six for nearly a week now and am looking forward to moving on to day 7!
Old 08-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #36  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Welcome, Reesuh! I look forward to meeting you more thru the forum and learning your challenges! Best of luck!

Reading the very start of a book about writing down your intentions as if they've taken place and seeing what happens. So did that at 1a.m. regarding weight loss. Will see if this further guides me and my brain into wiser choices in not only food but smart use of spare time for yoga. I'm open to the possibility...

Will check in later to report a day of smart choices! Hopefully...
Old 08-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #37  
Green Tomatoes

I followed my plan exactly. I love how little I think about food when I'm 100% on plan.

WI: -0.3 kg, Exercise: +50 160/1500 minutes for August, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

ForMyGirls: My one line report card is above.
WI = Weigh-In which is the amount I gained or lost since the last weigh-in, usually the previous day
Exercise with the minutes I exercised yesterday and the minutes I've exercised this month toward my 1500 minute goal
Food is my grade for how On Plan I was. 100% is when I follow the plan as written.
And I keep track of whether or not I read my Advantages and Responses at least once -- having that there almost guarantees that I do because I'm not above reading them really quickly just before I post.

Lexxiss: glad you're able to get to us one way or another.

Welcome, reesuh! I use this forum as a diet coach and it works great -- collectively, there's a lot of wisdom here.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Welcome Reesuh and ThirdTimeLucky! Compulsive overeating is a very isolating practice. This forum helps me to find companionship through honestly reporting what went on during the day. By reading other people's honesty, I realize I am not alone and often I avoid pitfalls in the day just because I committed to a plan on this site. There is no failure and it doesn't matter how often you fall off the plan. What matters is how long it takes to hop back on.

Banner day yesterday, inspired by Lexxiss, I asked DH for a Vitamix for our anniversary on the 11th. I have been drooling over them for years but they are so expensive. DH was cute and was going to get me a diamond wedding band he knew I loved but I said, "Honey, right now in my life, I want something for a healthier life for all of us." (DH's brother was just diagnosed with diabetes.) We picked up the machine yesterday.

DS and I are thrilled. We feel we could fly to the moon on it. Last night we used six rotting tomatoes to make pasta sauce and some homemade roasted bell peppers to make soup. DS said, "Mom, we have to go get more produce if we are going to do these recipes correctly!" That is music to a mom's ears. Today we are venturing into smoothies and frozen bananas (oops!) foster. The machine is so easy to use and clean DS can do it himself. I have been teaching him to cook all summer and I hope by fall he will choose one day a week to cook us all dinner. (He is 11.)

Weight is one pound above ticker. Walk is planned. Food is in MyFitPal.

Good for you for checking in, Nationalparker.

BBE: I won't be seeing any killing movies for a while. I sink into depression too easily. I did rent Lincoln to watch again and skipped the battle scenes. What an amazing journey our country has had!

Wave to everybody else. Happy Sunday.

Last edited by maryann; 08-04-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #39  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

Yesterday was a struggle all day long. I won some and lost some, the end result for the week is that I have a gain. Frustrating! Remembering this path to healthier lifestyle is not all about the scale number. Credit. I did also turn down dh's offer of a burger and fries for dinner last night opting for fresh fruit and smoked salmon instead. Credit.

Reesuh-- Maryann is so right that compulsive eating is an isolating behavior. I so wanted to isolate yesterday, come on here and pretend that all was great and following plan. But who would I be lying too? ME! You will find a lot of helpful information and people who understand on here.

Maryann--Congrats on the vitamix and a huge credit for choosing your health over a diamond band. I am proud of you.

BBE--Not so sure about that movie. I worked for attorneys and we did a few murder cases, not sure I could watch on the big screen. People who are not involved in a crime tend to isolate the act of killing from the reality of how so many lives are effected permanently. It is all so sad. I agree that looking at books online is not the same as holding books and reading the jackets or thumbing thru. Library is one of the places I lose track of time.

ForMyGirls--Glad your daughter enjoyed the smilies. My 9 yo granddaughter loves them too. Great that you can FEEL that you ate too much and are aware.

GardenerJoy-- for following plan exactly. I love that part too, it so nice to not be thinking about food all day long. That is why I found the planning meals helpful, even though I am resistant to that part of it. I still WANT to eat compulsively, so afraid I will miss out on something!

Tracey--Have a wonderful day with your Aunt.

Nationalparker--Hope you have a smashingly successful day. You did so well leaving 1/2 of the gnocci dish.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #40  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I was hoping to get here later this afternoon while DH napped. Alas, the traffic is already pouring out of the mountains and I know internet will end soon. I 'm grateful for the willingness to drop what I'm doing and try and get a post in.

I have a plan today and I am following it. I am back to pre-vacation/ticker weight today. Credit moi!

I know I have a body that likes to gain and I have a mind that will gladly embrace any sabotaging thought I can come up with. I've been doing this long enough now that I don't imagine much is going to change so I continue to remind myself that my path to weightloss is based on following my Beck plan and resisting 99.9% of food related thoughts that travel through my brain. (And I have lots of them) I have many days where I don't follow through with my plan BUT I thought about it this morning and couldn't remember the last time I had a day where I just ate anything/everything and totally kicked my plan to the wind. I believe the primary reason is because I post at 3fc every single morning I am able...Internet connection permitting. I definitely see how the Beck skills practiced (often imperfectly) do make a difference, especially when I come here and talk about them. Each new day is an opportunity to learn something new.

welcome2: 3rdTimeLucky! I'm glad you've decided to coach and be coached here. Best wishes!
reesuh! Now that you've found coaches you can move on to Day 7! It's one of my favorites!

BillBlueEyes, thank you for posting the link….I read it but already knew I would not go. I acknowledged and accepted many years ago that I do have the capacity/compassion/concern to help make this world a better place in the "little space" I occupy. This morning's duty was freeing two little garter snakes tangled in the netting covering our cherry tree. It was bird proof-but I had never thought about the slithering guys. I "think" both will live. It was a good thing we decided to unveil this morning rather than later in the day. I would have been otherwise saddened. Yay for another great library experience. I wish our local one was open on Sunday. Following up...did the carpet guy ever come? Oh, and I'm having a zipper issue…..

nationalparker, I have read many credits in your posts. I don't ever consider you a "beck dropout" or an "imposter" (July 31) here on this thread. Life is not perfect, and I always notice positive steps you are making. One of the most notable, is that you keep coming back. I've seen so many just disappear over the years I've been here and I think the best thing we do for ourselves (me included) is keep regularly posting.

gardenerjoy, yay for 100% and credit as I remind myself of the progressive steps you took to get there!

Sue(Bunnababy), sorry for your struggles yet credit for turning down the burger/fries. Your choice was much healthier!

MaryAnn, I was reading posts from my Iphone this morning so I only get small bits at a time. I read, "inspired by Lexxiss" and thought hmmm….before I read. I have to say I was so overjoyed for you I got all choked up. (I was enjoying my morning smoothie at that very moment!) I relate to all you shared and have to say after 3 years with us (DH has learned, too) it is not a passing fad. It is a powerful nutritional component which brings us together, just as you and DS. Credit for asking for what you wanted/needed and how sweet of DH to understand. ((hugs))

Beverlyjoy, credit for getting back on track and for pitching the rest of the bars. I relate...I find no moderation in some things and it's better just to find an unrelated and acceptable substitute. I'm glad, too, that things didn't run away after a nonstellar day.

ForMyGirls, love your credits for the day, especially remembering to give yourself some. Thanks for sharing your jazz duo….I had a tenant in Alaska, kind of an odd duck, who played guitar. In the winter he would play guitar and I'd play piano. We were bad and it was fun and we often did Beatles stuff because he had a book. Lol.

Tracey on a journey, yay for staying under your calorie goal even when not exactly OP. Hope you had an enjoyable day with Auntie.

Beth(from Dayton), I must say how much I enjoy reading your posts. You have really embraced Beck skills and it shows (I still remember pictures). I like how you talked about your relationship with the group and how you report things here. Credit. PS I have written myself to send you the salad dressing recipe. I'll send it "as is" and will tell you how I have tweaked it healthier.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 08-04-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #41  
Start Date - 03/08/13

Lexxis I so get where you're coming from - I can really relate to what you say.

Maryann, well done on choosing the Vitamx. In the UK they recently showed the TV show "fat, sick and nearly dead". Have you heard of it? It's pretty inspiring.

I read a brilliant quote the other day and have written it down on a card:-

Dieting is hard. Being overweight is hard. Choose your hard.

Well I have had a really jolly good day. Stuck to my plan even in the face of temptation. Walked to the pub with my boys. The 8 year old is has a broken leg and is in a full cast and in a wheelchair. He weighs around 56kg and I pushed him, and the chair for about one and a half hours, up and down hills (the downs were harder I think!). Once at the pub I had chicken salad without dressing, as planned whilst my boys tucked into roast beef and all the trimmings. Then they shared a pudding of golden syrup sponge and custard and I didn't even sneak a bite (as I would normally). And it was easy! Why can't it always be easy?!!

Read my chapter, wrote my cards, read my cards, good eating, good exercise. Feeling very pleased with myself.

I have my ARC on my tablet, phone and laptop in Google Keep so I always have them to hand.

Anyway, I'm waffling. It is so lovely to wake up in the morning and read about your days. Sets me up for the day in the right frame of mind.

Last edited by 3rdTimeLucky; 08-04-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #42  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I still have so much to do tonight, I feel stressed by the fact that I took the time to read everyone's posts for the last two days--but I really wanted to know how everyone is doing!

Lexiss, thanks. Welcome to our new members! (And I want to write long personals but I haven't planned next week's menu yet and I have to in order to follow through on my Monday shopping after work.)

Food Saturday was OP UNTIL the bonfire party we went to, I overate, knew I was overeating, and then overate some more. Food today was OP--no special events, so it was easy to stay OP. I didn't manage to get either day's food into MFP, though, and probably will just accept that I won't tonight, either.

Exercise both yesterday and today was cleaning the garage. We spent 6 or 7 hours out there each day actively working. We're not done. However, there are new rails with hooks and things are hanging up. One shelving unit is gone since we re-organized and hung things up. A big load of stuff went to Good Will. A friend wants some of our old yard tools--how many rakes does one household really need, anyway?

We totally emptied and cleaned out (including using the leafblower [the one that now has its own hook]) DH's tool cabinet. We're pruning tools--they are being separated into "keep in the tool cabinet", "put in the small toolbox we cart around for projects", "too good to give away but doesn't need to be readily accessible" and "donate/toss". There are a lot more tools than we need to be readily accessible. I had a lot of really good tools when we met, and he had a lot of really good tools. We have at least 2 sets, and usually more, of almost everything. (And two of the three kids have full sets, too.) (I really like tools. But do we really need 7 utility knives?)

Okay, I wanna type--but I've got to get cleaned up after my day in the garage, do some evening must-do chores, and plan next week's meals.

Take care, all.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #43  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome reesuh

reesuh

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our forum her on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 08-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #44  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – It was a perfect day for my two walks, CREDIT moi. This is Garden of Eden style weather - just cool enough to enjoy walking, but warm enough not to need a comforter at night. New England has these days - you just never know what time of the year they'll occur.

Eating was a bit snacky - Ouch! I'll work on that today. It happens when there's something I need to do and I don't want to do it. In college, when snacks weren't handy, I'd just go read Time magazine to avoid whatever. There's something to be said for being broke, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for "exactly."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – So neat, " couldn't remember the last time I had a day where I just ate anything/everything" - Kudos for moving forward daily.

Beverlyjoy – Ouch for single serving sizes that can be eaten back-to-back. Kudos for tossing the rest.

maryann - Welcome Vitamix! What a happy addition to the family.

nationalparker – Neat idea, "writing down your intentions as if they've taken place" - can't wait to hear how it works out.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Cringing at the thought of two days cleaning the garage. I've no garage, but do have a basement that needs that level of attention. "But do we really need 7 utility knives?" - I don't understand the question. Yes, or why else would you have them, LOL. My downfall is screwdrivers; I have a MOUND of them - I've never turned down one from the nickel box at a yard sale.

Tracey (Tracey on a journey) - Neat to take your aunt out for brunch while she's still able. Thanks for the analogy, "like putting a penny in a knapsack" - that's easier to visualize than just having the belief that each thing we encounter rearranges our neurons a bit.

ForMyGirls - Thanks for sending me to YouTube for the Beatles's Blackbird. Your performance sounds great. Kudos for making a plan for dealing with takeaway and a show.

Sue (Bunnababy) - Yay for fresh fruit and smoked salmon - you guys up there do have access to good smoked salmon.

3rdTimeLucky - Kudos for the exercise of pushing your DS in the wheelchair. Loved being reminded of "golden syrup" that we can only buy in specialty food shops.

reesuh - Yep, we'd be delighted if you join us to be one of our Coaches and we'll be the same for you. It's working for a bunch of us here. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
day 5 Eat Slowly and Mindfully

How to Slow Down
Practice the following strategies until you naturally eat more slowly. . . .
Look at the clock. Notice what time it is at the beginning and at the end of your meal. In your diet notebook or on a sticky note that you can keep on your refrigerator, write down how long it takes you to eat. At each meal, try to slow down and draw it out just a bit longer.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 80.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #45  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I switched our dinner plan last night but it was still OP. I ate more than I needed to so I ditched my evening snack. I weighed this morning...up a bit but that's ok. When I weigh everyday it's easier for me to monitor the trend. Credit. I have a plan for today and am heading off to work.

I did some research (internet) on my little snakes last night. I was concerned that they'd be ok. Ends up it is a frequent occurence with the erosion netting that is commonly used. There is jute netting that's far easier on them, according to herpetologists. I'm going to look for some for next year and I'm happy to learn that they do quite well if they slither away post tangle.

BBE, we're having the same weather...we don't have any "air" in our house and I enjoy when it's cooler upstairs at night. Kudos for two walks and a plan for reigning in snacking today.

Beth(from Dayton), kudos for recognizing that the most important thing was checking in...not personals. Hope your stress is easing.

3rdTimeLucky, I love the quote and have written it down. My BIL is from UK and is visiting later this week. Your post had me smiling. Credit for such good behaviour at the pub.
Closed Thread