Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #16  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

A tad discouraging that the weight is UP on my second day of weighing, but it's just data. In this case, the data may be saying nothing more interesting than that there was soy sauce in supper last night.

I'm going back to my one line report card each morning. I borrowed this from ChinaMaine who was active on this thread a few years ago. I used it the whole time I was losing, but thought I could forego it when I declared myself in maintenance in January. But I've felt a bit unglued since then, so I'm bringing it back.

I know, intellectually, that nothing could change in maintenance from the weigh loss phase. And yet, I keep trying to find little things to change to somehow symbolize that I'm here. But, it turns out that nothing can change. I'll have to find my symbols elsewhere.

WI: +0.25kg, Exercise: +55 55/1500 minutes for August, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 08-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks.... yesterday I ended up not feeling well at all. Kind of a stomach thing. Mostly I ate crackers, toast and some popcycles. Not very healthy and I didn't keep track.... but, I feel better today. Also, I went to the foot/ankle doctor and he wrapped and padded my foot in a way that has taken away the pain. YAY.

I didn't get on the scale today... but, Wednesday the scale said my weight was down a pound. YAY.

We are planning a quiet weekend. July was SO busy that a 'free' weekend sounds great. I need to start rehearsing for three programs next week.

formygirls - I am doing a happy dance in honor of your week on plan. That is a major credit. It's something to 'build' on. Carry on.

Debbie/lexis - sorry you are still dealing with that spider bite and now a cold. Many credits... many kudo's to you.

billbe - credit for avoiding the unhealthy foods and settling on a piece of dark chocolate and strawberries! Yes, it's wise to NOT let anger or those feelings causing us to run to the food.

bethfromdayton - so very sorry to hear of your kitty cat - our furkids are a huge part of the family. Sending a hug. Wow... you've got a lot going on. Plan, plan and plan some more... the best you can.

bunnababy - credit for being aware of your thoughts and how they can send you to food, if you aren't careful. It's 'not fair' that folks can often eat what we can't eat - just have to think of the big picture. (not always so easy, though)

maryann - Happy Beck Birthday. And major happy's to staying at your ticker weight while on vacation. Kudos!!

national parker - glad you've arrived safely to Florida. Major credit for bringing that cereal!!!

sparks - major credit for getting back on your plan after having ice cream after breakfast. I think it's a major accomplishment. YAY

gardenerjoy
- it's a hard lesson... this 'maintenence'... I think it's a learning curve, really. I know you can figure it out.

From today's newsfeed on FB from Beck: Friday Weekend Warm-up: If you think, “When I eat out this weekend, I won’t have any control over my food. How will I stay in control?” Remind yourself that while you may not always have control over what food is served to you, you ALWAYS have control over what you put in your mouth!

Another good reminder.

Have a GREAT weekend. Treat yourself as well as you'd treat a good friend.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 08-02-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Up early this morning to greet carpet cleaner. I am so glad it is happening and I am so glad it only happens in a blue moon. It is very uncomfortable for me to have strangers in my house. I dislike repair men, appliance installer, etc. . . in my space. Funny. I am a very private person.

Credit for going to step class. DS had to go to baby care and he looked like Andre the Giant. My buddy is no longer a little boy. Now we are at McDonald's to kill another couple hours by stealing the wifi. I have brought a BANANA. I have learned that it is small interruptions in my everyday life that can really through my food off. Food is in MFP including a salad at the restaurant.

Gardenerjoy: I find I resist the notion that my eating will not change substantially as I reach my maintenance. Maybe that is why i have held onto the last 8 pounds for so longer. The truth is, I'll never be able to eat like my compulsive mind wants me to eat — unfettered.

Formygirls and Beverleyjoy: Credit for OP days and weeks.

BethFromDayton: I went to UCLA right next to the Getty. You will love it and the sunsets. Thank goodness I have another seven years before I have to send my boy off.

BBE: I was just thinking this morning how much I appreciate responsible servicemen.

Last edited by maryann; 08-02-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #19  
Start Date - 03/08/13

Default Newbie from the UK

Hi everyone,

I'm really glad I found this group. I've attempted the program twice but not got further than 3 weeks in. I'm still trying to lose baby weight from 10 years ago! I really really believe in this program. This year has been tough - with 2 international moves (to Asia and back again), hence I've not finished the program. But as my username suggests, this WILL be 3rdTimeLucky. I'm starting today (UK time, it's almost half past midnight).

I'm really looking forward to giving, and receiving some much needed support, and looking forward to checking in to the board daily.

Thanks!
3TL
Old 08-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #20  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Today was OP, sorta. "Sorta" means that I was totally OP through dinner, including two walks and meals just as I planned them, portion controlled just as I'd planned them. I had an extra snack (a "half size" one) since I knew dinner would be after 8. After dinner, though, there was a dessert and a rather significant quantity of wine, which I knew I was going to do (dinner guests, board games, and a great evening). I declined when our guest offered to leave some of the lemon bars. Yes, I had two pieces when I should have only had one, but I didn't want them around the house, so credit for declining to keep them--the husband is working tomorrow so he's going to take them in for his crew to eat.

The rest of the open bottle of wine will get tossed. DH doesn't drink much wine, so the other 3 of us only drank a bottle and a half :-). (DH and the other husband switched to beer at some point, so maybe it was my friend and I who drank most of it)

We had a lovely evening, though. I pre-served some of dinner (salad and fruit), used a measuring cup to serve the stuffing (so I'd know my own portion size), and carefully cut my piece of meatloaf. I measured my salad dressing, deciding that it didn't matter if they knew I was measuring--it was what I needed to do. I didn't over-portion myself at all at dinner, so that's all a good thing, and I give myself credit for that.

Welcome 3rdTimeLucky--this is a great program! It's really helping me. This group has been invaluable to me--it keeps me from lying to myself, which I can be guilty of. I can't lie to the group, though--and that keeps me aware of what I'm doing and keeps my mistakes and overages in check, because I report them here.

maryann: We can't get away from those yellow potassium fruits, can we? (I'll have one in my cereal tomorrow because it's the only fruit left in the house.)

Beverlyjoy: I hope this finds you feeling better--three programs sounds like a lot to get ready for.

gardenerjoy: Thank you for sharing your maintenance path--I hope it gets smoother for you--we're all on your side.

forMyGirls: Congrats on your first week--success breeds success--a successful first week makes the second week into a continuation rather than a new hurdle.

Lexiss: I hope your cold and spider bite heal quickly--that has to be so hard. Will you share your salad dressing recipe? I'd like to start making my own, but never have.

BillBE: Congrats on the strawberries and dark chocolate--credit for picking and sticking with one dessert.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Last edited by bethFromDayton; 08-02-2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Typing while imbibing wine
Old 08-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #21  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

Welcome 3TL, I haven't been here very long but a very nice group and so encouraging.

Is the green book like the pink book or does it have more updated info? I don't want to buy it if the same info just different format.

ForMyGirls: Fantastic that you stayed OP for the week~

Kudos to everyone for checking in either good or not so great.

Will message a little more tomorrow, off for 4 days now.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #22  
Start Date - 03/08/13

Thanks for the welcomes. I don't really have a buddy to ask because we've moved back to the UK to a new area and my husband who is very supportive is away travelling quite a bit. So I'll be using the board as my buddy and reporting in daily :-)
Old 08-03-2013, 05:40 AM   #23  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Welcome 3rdTimeLucky

3rdTimeLucky

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you learn about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our Beck forum on the 3 Fat Chicks site?
Old 08-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #24  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi, even though I had to carry an umbrella in case the rain started. For some reason it feels weird to me to be walking down the street in gym shorts carrying an umbrella. At the supermarket I parked my Toyota next to a Rolls Royce Corniche - beautifully maintained, driven by a smartly dressed guy with white hair. This wasn't Whole Foods; this was the area's least expensive market with a vibrant multi-national, multi-lingual clientele. Don't know what he bought, but I'm glad he saved a little money so he could pay for maintenance on that grand car.

Dinner on the patio dawdling looking up at the sky. It's just a lovely time of the year. The Chimney Swifts appeared overhead at their regular time - "All's right with the world."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, "just data."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Hope deck painting went well.

Beverlyjoy – Yay indeed for a new way to pack your foot to eliminate the pain.

maryann - LOL at the thought of your "Andre the Giant" in baby care. Kudos for choosing Wifi - the healthiest thing at McDonald's.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Kudos for sending those lemon bars off with your DH. Yay for publicly measuring your salad dressing.

ForMyGirls - Kudos for quashing those cravings. (Noting from Urban Dictionary: Scrummy - A combination of "scrumptious" and "yummy", - just trying to keep up, LOL.)

Sue (Bunnababy) - Four days off sounds good to me.

3rdTimeLucky - I buy the notion that third time will be lucky for you. It's great that you have a running start because you've seen the program before. Using the folks on this board as Coaches, this is your time. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
day 5 Eat Slowly and Mindfully

How to Slow Down
Practice the following strategies until you naturally eat more slowly. . . .
Eat something hot. Starting your meal with soup (if it's allowed on your food plan), for example, forces you to eat slowly and to practice this skill.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 80.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #25  
Green Tomatoes

Yay! The scale number went DOWN!

WI: -0.4 kg, Exercise: +55 110/1500 minutes for August, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, 3rdTimeLucky!
Old 08-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #26  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

BBE-Your post made me think of the song "Walking in the Rain"

Joy

As for me, plan on relaxing today. Catch up on some reading. The Chelsea Cain series book 3. Also some of my Beck book. Going to check out the green book on Amazon.

Credit for being aware of what was going on around me at work rather than blindly eating.

Have a wonderful Saturday!!!
Old 08-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #27  
Start Date - 03/08/13

Thanks BillBlueEyes. I can't remember how I first became aware of the BDS book. It was about 5 years ago. Silly me started doing it without the writing down and the daily goals etc. Didn't get very far. Earlier this year I started doing it proper and it was going so well. But then we had to move back from Asia (with DH and 2 sons) quite suddenly and under stressful circs and it was all too much. This time I think I'm gonna nail it.

BTW I reckon the very reason that dude has a fancy pants car is cos he shops low end!!
Old 08-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Morning coaches,

Yesterday seemed like really hard work again. I was pondering last night what that was about and I think maybe some of it was that I have been forgetting to give myself credit along the way so then I have been slipping into the "woe is me, I'm doing it so hard" frame of mind. Plan ended up abit out of whack yesterday as I was at a social function where it would have been very rude not to have some of the offered food. So I ended up using up my carb serves on food I didn't particularly want to eat. Which in the "woe is me" headspace made for some serious grumpiness. Sooooo tempted to say "f it" at the end of the day but I didn't - so credit to me for that. And for thinking through why I might have been slipping into a negative headspace.

3rdtimelucky - hello and welcome! Well done you for keeping coming back. (What's that saying - if at first you don't succeed, try try again). I am fairly new to this - just over 2 weeks in and I think the combination of the Beck program and this forum are making the world of difference. Looking forward to getting to know you along the way.

Lexiss - yay for working out how to accept the things you can't change

Gardenerjoy - I am intrigued to know what the one line report card is. And wise observation about the illusive (non-existent) "I've finished" marker. And Yay yay yay for your second post reporting the downward movement. Well done for turning it around.

Beverylyjoy - pleased to hear your pain is releived at last. And thanks for the happy dance!

Maryann - credit for not letting parenting duties stop you getting to your exercise class

Beth - yay to you for realising it was OK for your guests to know you were measuring your servings. I really struggle with letting people see that I am trying to lose weight. Wonder what that is all about?

BBE - I so get the incongruity of gym shorts and umbrella. Well done for not letting the threat of rain deter you. Your story of the Rolls Royce reminded me of a very expensive sports car I saw years ago that had a personalised number plate "Integrty". I'm quite a leftie so boy it made me laugh. Glad to hear you're continuing to enjoy the Aussie vernacular!

Bunnababy - I have just been joined in bed by a little person who is watching over my shoulder as I type. She really loves all the pictures on your post! Yay to you for being so mindful and thinking through the challenges you face in your workplace.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #29  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I am able to read posts from my phone despite very limited posting capability right now. It seems the best connection these days while everyone is sleeping. Yesterday and today OP. Scale is slowly moving down post-trip. Credit. I have a daY off tomorrow...perhaps I'll find the right combo for spending a bit more time here.

Sue(bunnababy), I really liked the pink book/workbook first time through. Now I really enjoy the format of the green book my thought process is geared towards maintenance. Perhaps you could find the green book at the library.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #30  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Struggling and not really fighting it on the trip. Working for good bkfst and lunch and not as wise with dinner ... I.e., too much bread. Too many snacks that are eaten b/c the items are here (cashews, peanuts, coconut m&ms!!!)

I'm a beck dropout this weekend. Credits for eating half my gnocchi tonight and not bringing it home but leftover gnocchi is terrible so no great kudos there. I ordered that to enjoy yet not be tempted with more tomorrow. Credit for eating tiny piece of pepperidge farm cake option vs bakery one so i could figure calories easier. Hour of yardwork at folks. Feel like a bloated blimp.

Return to home and work monday afternoon. Longing already to take full vac day but now aiming to hike and camp next weekend so might need to save that vac time.

Wise choices tomorrow us my goal. And more water. Sorry for typos!
Closed Thread