Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 209/199/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Friday

Good morning Coaches,
Thank you all for welcoming me to the group. I'm on day 7 of the "pink book" and have already lost weight just by being mindful. Thank goodness for smart phone apps though - I set up a reminders to read my advantages card and give myself credit and it's working well. I'm hit and miss with mindful eating but on Wednesday I told my husband that I wasn't going to watch TV with him while we ate (read: mindlessly bolted down) supper anymore and instead went into the dining room, free from distractions, and sat down to eat a quiet meal - and he joined me!!!!
We did the same last night too. Hopefully the weather will be nice this weekend and we can get out to the backyard for supper. Weekends have always been the death of good intentions in this house. Wish me good luck.
"Billy": thanks for your messages of support and the example you set.
Have a good weekend everyone, Tracey.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #77  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

TGIF! Ahhh ... finally here. My day will be split with running home at lunch to check on our dog, who was in pain and whimpering from her surgery, but hopefully the pain meds kick in and she sleeps while I'm gone. DH had to go back to work today (days this shift).

Dinner was turkey tacos with plenty of tomatoes, onions and lettuce, and stayed on plan. Smiled at Bill's comment on my olive oil inclusion in meals - none last night, though. But it's our go-to healthy fat and it's measured, counted and keeps us clear of fakes with ingredients I have no idea what they are - i.e., I can't believe it's not butter because it's NOT, etc.

Father has to have surgery next week, and will be in hospital overnight. I wish I could get down there easily/quickly. Brother is there and can assist Mom (who now is handicapped), and I'll be there in a few weeks, but Dr. said it cannot be delayed.

Tonight's plans only include tids and bits and a movie at home and hanging close to the pooch. I plan to start my tids and bits with the spinach salad, so must stop for spinach.

Florence is the city in the world that is closest to my heart. I could move there. I lived in Europe when growing up and now going back to Florence is like going home. I literally tear up when I arrive at Santa Maria Novella train station and walk to my b&b ... so I will choose that for my 50th birthday trip. DH is really getting into the "picking a place process" for his. I suggested Orcas Island as an option ... or the train across the Rockies in Canada, too Heck, I have to be SOMEwhat involved, right? ha ha... We did the Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago a few years ago and had a sleeping car and had the BEST time. We bought very early and saved a ton of money.

Aiming to return and post personals...
Old 07-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Credit for reading my advantage cards and logging food into MFP.

I had planned Mac and Cheese for lunch yesterday since DS requested it. I ate my portion, then finished what was left over in the pot when I went to clean the dishes. Seems like old times but not in a good way. I just cannot eat that food. It does not "serve me well" as gardenerjoy would say. Plus, I felt cranky and blue all afternoon. Is that why I was depressed for so much of my twenties? Was it the crap I was eating on a daily basis? Maybe it was worth yesterday to have a new understanding and compassion for my younger self and gratitude that I don't have to live that way anymore.

Today I am loading up on fruit and veggies. My big push now is 156 by Aug 1 so I can change my ticker. I am still reaching for 150 by the time I am 5o in December.

Used a Target promo card for free milk and the illusive "ripe but not brown in a second" banana. Had to pay for eggs. $5 left till Wednesday. It is unbelievable all the gift cards and coupons I found when I cleaned out my purse. I just don't have time to be so thrifty during the school year.

Today's clean goal (it is a biggie): I want to get everything out from under the beds and get them into a closet. I don't want dust mountains everywhere and I want to easily get in and around with the vacuum. I will definitely have to put on my "tossing" hat.

bethfromDayton: Big kudos for reaching your next goal. You are doing a great job.

onebyone: What is a lineo block? Is it for silk printing?

Tracy on a journey: I put my advantages cards on the phones with a daily reminder. I think it helps/

Last edited by maryann; 07-12-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #79  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all--I usually post in the evening, but I had an epiphany I wanted to share!

6 months ago, I struggled with planning. Lately, I've struggled to make time for it since I've been out of town so much, but the planning itself is easy.

4-5 months ago, I found weekends harder than weekdays since they were less structured. Now, I've figured out how to keep OP on the weekends--by planning and adding structure and building new habits.

Now, I find parties really really hard. But, if I've successfully tackled planning--and I have, and I've successfully tackled weekends--and I have, I should be able to tackle parties--I just need to get there. But success is possible--I've already shown myself that I can get through the struggles to success.

Planning is no longer something I have to force myself to do. I didn't want to plan--but now it's just something I do. I didn't want to get into new weekend habits--but now I have new weekend habits.

So, I need to think of party habits as being like those--things I can do, and once I do them, they won't be a constant battle with myself--they'll just become the standard default way I eat at parties. Right now, it's hard for me--but if I perservere, it won't stay hard. It'll get easier.

And that was my after-lunch epiphany!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #80  
Rosebud170

S/C/G: 311/208/176

Height: 5'9"

Hello coaches! I have had all good intentions of posting several times in the last few days since I really do want to write personals...I still plan to do that but am, again, on the fly and must check in with you, my peeps.

Upon returning from Hawaii I was up 7 lbs. I got right back OP and am able to exercise more since it is summertime...so lots of walks up the big hill in addition to water aerobics and Zumba and riding the stationary bike (must get those miles in for my Lazyman Triathlon!) so now, the weight fell,off and, unlike the last several months of lose 2 or 3'lbs and then up the next day and slowly down again over the week, it continues to go down! I actually am trying to not lose more this week since I don't want my body to freak out and gain a bunch from one higher calorie day.... It feels good though since that up and slowly down business is not too fun.

The best part of weight loss right now is my being able to MOVE more. I am feeling so appreciative that I CAN do stuff without worrying about how I will pick that thing up from the floor under the table or how I will manage social situations being sweaty all the time,etc....I want to do as much stuff as I can since I can.. Are you with me?

Kudos to me for exercise and eating OP and sitting while eating and drinking water.

Today's challenge is that it is DD's last day of daycamp and parents come for the last few hours for a final Survivor challenge and dessert buffet. Argh!!! My plan is to look for fruit and one homemade thing that looks delicious that I don't get to have often. Cheesecake or carrotcakish I am thinking. I will take photos and enjoy watching dd in an environment where she has had a blast Ll week with new people that she has connected with. She is on the shy side so that is a joy for me to watch and document with my camera!!

BBE - "coach heir". Autocorrect can be entertaining and I love playing with words....

Beth- you inspired me with your idea of remembering past challenges that are no longer issues...it does help in trying to overcome whatever is currently hard to envision changing. Thanks!!
Old 07-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #81  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

WHY is an iced jelly donut that is many hours old having some mystical power over me this afternoon? I have passed it by while walking through our kitchen to the restroom/stairs, etc., but it sits there taunting me. If I want one, I want maple and fresh and it to be an event, not a furtive snag from our kitchen of an older leftover donut. Yet it got in my mind.

But not in my mouth! Some sorta credit there, but not sure WHY.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #82  
Green Tomatoes

Today followed the letter of my rules but not the spirit. Like maryann, I'm noticing that I don't feel as good when I'm not eating the best. I think the cause was an odd combination of pre-compensation eating for how well I intended to do at the cocktail reception (which went exactly as I planned) and a stressful day with continually changing plans.

Tomorrow has another challenge of eating outside of my comfort zone, but at least the timing works more like normal. After today, I think I'm more prepared to make everything work better for me.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #83  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – It continues each night that we have dinner on the patio: The local Blue Jays are greatly offended we're so close to their bath. They squawk and fly close to us. The want to land on the patio chairs to poop on the clean webbing instead of on any of the abundant fencing or shrubs. They're aggressive birds.

Headed off this morning for a bird walk. July isn't prime season; the newborns have fledged so the parents have started flying south. The fledglings look confused as they dawdle a few weeks before flying after them. It does seem like an easier way to have kids, LOL. Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. On the evening walk with DW, CREDIT moi, we spotted four Mallards standing on a log in the middle of a small pond - I've never seen them do that before. Yay for ducks reminding me that it's possible to do something different.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Many Kudos for each part of sticking to your plan for the off hours cocktail reception.

maryann - LOL at "ripe but not brown in a second" banana. I'm grateful that you mentioned that you had to shop every five days to meet your banana ripening needs - I've been trying to beat that for years and just haven't been able to. Maybe those Keep Fresh Bags would help. (Or just accept shopping twice a week.) Yay for the continuing saga of the $10 drifted down to $5.

nationalparker – You made me laugh at the thought that I've never seen, You-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Extra-Virgin-Olive-Oil, although the market has many cans of blends with just enough olive oil to include it on the label. Hope all goes well with your father. (I resent every stale donut I've ever eaten - so unnecessary.)

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Love your epiphany, "But success is possible" - I'm encouraged that parties can be conquered. I still find walking hors d'oeuvres a challenge.

Rosebud170 – Congrats on your "right back OP and am able to exercise more." I, too, relish my ability to "MOVE more."

Tracey (Tracey on a journey) - Neat reminder, "just by being mindful" - it's so easy to ignore our eating. Kudos for moving dinner to the dining room instead of the TV to stay mindful.

Readers -
Quote:
day 4 Give Yourself Credit

. . . Start giving yourself credit today and continue to give yourself credit whenever you engage in a helpful eating behavior. For example, look at what you've achieved after just three days on this program. You deserve credit for:
. . . . . .
  • Sitting while eating
  • Recognizing and answering back your sabotaging thoughts
  • Filling out the to-do list at the end of each day
  • Reading - and rereading - this book
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 75.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:40 AM   #84  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

Beth - your epiphany was - is - so encouraging! Thanks.

Tracey - I am wrapping up the Pink book now and it is great to see someone else starting it!!

Hey to everyone else!!

This week was ok with food. Staying in my calorie range but I need to, as some have mentioned, make better choices that serve my body better. Not doing well with exercise - many days recently have been rainy or super muggy and I just do not want to do anything

But I have a nice credit! Yesterday I was craving craving craving salty Fast Food. But I talked it out with my husband for a few minutes and he encouraged me not to do it, so I didn't. But I was upset - like a little girl, lol! Then I tried to think about what would make a good lunch (we were unexpectedly out of tuna - lots of kids home and I am not always on top of the food supplies!!) and decided to pick up honey maple turkey. It was quite salty enough and I ate it with a salad and some almonds.

So - the substitution was for about the same amount of calories, which was about 300 calories less than the McD lunch would have been and about 300% healthier than McD as well!!
Old 07-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Super Congrats to a day of epiphanies. BethfromDayton (challenges are just healthy routines waiting to be practiced), Sparks ( healthy food can be as satisfying as junk food), and Rosebud (the joy of moving). Although difficult for me to accept and assimilate, these three concepts are the foundational reasons I have never returned to the "obese" category of my youth.

Well, the day was sterling in almost every category. I proudly toured DH and DS around and under the beds where there is no more dust or debris. I then requested a chorus of "Oohs" and "Aahs when I opened the guest room closet which now proudly holds all Christmas decs, memorabilia and random teaching stuff. I even threw out my old wedding albums. Not the ones of DH but my early one minute marriage. I kept a few picture of family members (now gone) and one of me with the alleged spouse. It is good to remember who I was at one point— thirty pounds heavier, miserable with my addictions and desperately trying to have someone "fix" my life. This is what I like about cleaning and organizing. It gives me a chance to remember with compassion and in context and then dump what I don't need anymore.

So busy yesterday, I didn't spend a dime. $5 bucks left for five days.

OP with calories but I continue to stand and eat, making food plan changes on the fly. The foods I ate were healthy and I felt much better, but I hate my stubborn willfulness. I will sit for all meals or I can't call it OP today. Maybe that will help.

BBE: You might enjoy a book I just read called Flight Pattern by Kingsolver. Beautiful writing in the beginning but a little preachy mid way through. it is a novel about monarch butterflies. (P.S. If i separate the bananas from each other on the counter, I get a day reprieve from the browning.

Last edited by maryann; 07-13-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #86  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

A little over on the calories today, but not by much. I didn't add everything up in advance or I'd have known. No exercise, though--I am going to get up and go for a walk in the morning. Tomorrow, I'm going to cook up a bunch of taco meat--we have taco salad every week or two and I got the 90% lean meat on sale, so will freeze it to make dinners after work easier.

DD is still pretty wiped out--she looks so young and she's obviously very uncomfortable. BFF and I noted that she isn't complaining--and she said it hurts too much to talk so she's doing her complaining on the internet.

I took my measurements this morning and was pleased with the numbers. That's a good feeling!

Take care, all.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #87  
Green Tomatoes

Our evening event was with the group we went to France with. It turned out to be a French-style dinner but created with local, organic foods. Amazing. And so very rare that I'm not going to worry about the calories. I did eat better earlier in the day so at least it wasn't a total loss. I look forward to tomorrow being much more normal.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #88  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – It's so easy to be busy and not have a list of stuff to show for it - Boo! Did make it to the gym, CREDIT moi. And did retrieve two step ladders that I'd lent that I need for a project.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to dinner with DW at a new Indian restaurant. The portions were larger than we wanted but smaller than useful to take home half. So we both ate the whole thing. Ouch! It's still a challenge for me to leave food at a restaurant. I argued with myself that I rarely get Lamb Masala Curry. But that's only because I rarely order it - Indian restaurants are abundant around here and that's a common dish. Seedless green grapes for my evening snack. I need to work on portion size for those - they slide down so easily.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Your dinner sounds heavenly.

maryann - Just blown away by, "remember with compassion and in context and then dump what I don't need anymore" - what a powerful thought for a mindful life. [Just ordered Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver from the library (instead of Amazon One-Click). P.S. I can't believe I'm discussion banana behavior on the Internet, LOL.]

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Yay for being pleased with your numbers. Hope your DD continues to recover.

sparks17 – Kudos for choosing a DH who'll help you turn a craving for salty into a healthy lunch. Cheering for "300% healthier than McD as well!!"

Readers -
Quote:
day 4 Give Yourself Credit

. . . You also deserve credit every time you refrain from engaging in unhelpful behaviors. When you've finished eating, look for ways to give yourself credit for refraining from doing the unhelpful things you're tempted to do such as the following:
  • Wanting to eat walking around, standing, or lounging, but not doing so
  • Refraining from taking second helpings
  • Refusing a free sample at the grocery store
  • Ignoring the baked goods someone brought to work
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pgs 75-76.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #89  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

A flyby as I have managed to access my "real" computer for the first time in days. Sometimes iphone posting is a bit too tedious. I have been staying very close to plan and being very mindful of choices. Until the past few days I have been prioritizing at home exercise in addition to work. credit. My little "slip" into unplanned eating was last night. I had a serving of organic tortilla chips with my homemade salsa AND a protein bar. I'm remembering that:
1. it's not to be an everynight thing
AND
2. that's a far better choice than it used to be. (credit)

So, I'm finally down to the wire. We fly out to the wedding a week from Wednesday. Five days are work and the others will be filled with lots of organization. I have a plan to stay on plan during this time. credit. Hubbys DD from SFO flew in yesterday and today is the kick off party celebrating grandaughters 1st BD. I'll haul the 48 gal.tote full of wedding flowers down today and cross that off my list.

I'm finding that my Beck planning skills are coming in very handy as I have accomplished lots in advance and what is left is manageable. credit.

Have great days everyone....I will check in as often as possible.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

On my way to an all-day party today. Buffet, probably. I have no idea what they are serving - I only know that I am bringing soda, cookies and ice. I have a good momentum going right now and I do not want to blow it! So I am going to re-read the eating out/parties strategies in Beck and get myself feeling prepared and calm.

Beth - hope your daughter is feeling better today!
Closed Thread