Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

Hey. I have some computer issues so I may not be on much till the weekend when my husband will have time to reformat/whatever techy stuff is needed. I am using his computer right now..

I had a good day - it was super hot, though! I worked on my storage stuff for almost five hours and made so many decisions my brain is tired....and I am so glad that I saved room for a Mike's Hard Lemonade! I am really looking forward to it!
Old 07-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #17  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Yay! I had a good day of eating only in my eating places. And I'm giving myself a bookworm sticker for reporting here -- which I intend to do daily this month.

BillBlueEyes and silverbirch: Both of those tools look great, but I think I'd go for the Korean hoe because that mattock looks heavy. Although, with our clay soil, maybe that is exactly what I need.

BillBlueEyes and maryann: so cool that you got to meet for real! I wasn't sure if that was possible in our space-time continuum.

Lexxiss: hope your mother is well after that misadventure.

nationalparker: I'm kind of embarrassed to say that I never stepped foot in a pub in Ireland. We ate in cafes and nice restaurants, visited gardens and museums, took the hop on - hop off bus tour in Dublin. I understand that the pubs in Ireland and the UK are as much for eating as drinking, so you'd be just fine ordering lunch and a cup of tea.

sparks17: great job on your cleaning and organizing project!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:36 AM   #18  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all!

Got up and went for a morning walk--I'll do it again tomorrow before it gets too hot.

Food was OP: DH had seen a salad restaurant, which made for a great lunch. A group of us went to UNO's for dinner, but I ordered a salad first--and so was satisfied with just 1/4 of an individual pizza. YAY for satisfying my desire for chicago pizza and staying on track at the same time!

We started shopping for the mega party--and I managed to get through Sam's Club without taking a single sample. More shopping tomorrow and then the party starts. I'll be reading my response cards often.

Lots of people here who I haven't seen in a year--last year at this time, I was at my high weight of 235--many people are noticing the change--others either aren't noticing or aren't saying anything :-). Either way is okay!

Take care, all!
Old 07-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #19  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – My dental hygienist gave me a gentler lecture about flossing this time, CREDIT moi. Although I just remembered that "better than other visits" is somewhat like "Most Improved Handwriting" in grade school, LOL. I like getting her earliest appointment so that I arrive after an early morning wake up walk. Gym was gym for exercise.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, without much temptation since I didn't eat a bite away from the house. Spent more time reading about the immobilizer system on DW's new car. There are numerous ways to fool it. BAD: If you leave the fob in the pocket of the driver's door, it will appear to be outside to the 'system' when you exit the car so that it'll allow you to lock the fob inside. GOOD: If you attempt to lock the trunk with the fob inside when all four doors are locked, it'll sound the alarm for five seconds to warm you to remove it. BAD: If you have the fob in your pocket and hang around the car for a long time - say, sitting in a lawn chair watching fireworks at the beach - the car and fob will chat the entire time wondering when you'll want to open the door so that the fob battery and possible the car's 12 volt battery will be dead. BAD: When traveling down the road a splash of water might unlock all the doors since the 'system' thinks you are outside trying to get in (at 65 miles per hour) and then, when no one opens the door for 60 seconds, it relocks the doors out of impatience with your indecision. It goes on and on. I feel like Princess Dianna with an extra person in this marriage.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for "a bookworm sticker" reward. I still like stickers and don't think they should be exclusively for kids.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Ouch - hope your mom's forehead is recovering. Kudos for figuring out that playing surgeon with butterfly bandages is more healthy than an evening in ER where all the germs live.

silverbirch – <sigh> . . . Let me explain this as gently as I can. I own a mattock - it's for serious work. I'm facing a new task. I'm male. The first step is to refocus all energy toward buying a tool that I don't have that will make the new task disappear. It should be expensive - particularly useful if we have to budget to buy the tool and the task has to wait for money to accumulate. (Local stores sell mattocks for cheap.) Don't you have males in the U.K., LOL?

nationalparker – Kudos for focusing on small steps. "no longer hungry" is such a big idea - associating eating with hunger instead of sight, smell, and taste. [Thanks for the intra-spouse fob warning where the fob exits with the spouse then the car drives away; that very thing happened to a couple we know - recovery was painful.]

Beth (bethFromDayton) – OP through "UNO's for dinner" is worthy of Kudos. And Sam's Club without a single sample of FREE food gets my admiration.

sparks17 – 300 Kudos for 300 minutes of working on stored stuff. Hope your computer recovers.

Readers -
Quote:
day 3 Eat Sitting Down

what are you thinking?

You might find that the urge to eat while standing persists and that sabotaging thoughts get in your way. Be prepared to write Response Cards. Here are some common sabotaging thoughts with suggested responses. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: I don't have time to sit down to eat.
Helpful Response: Sitting down isn't optional. I'll have to rearrange my schedule so that I do have time. It's essential for controlling what and how much I eat.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 72.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #20  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good afternoon. A better day yesterday after I posted, and an excellent day today so far. Space has opened up, it seems, and that means I can stop eating on the run as I prepare meals and eat what I put on my plate, eating nicely at the table. Phew. I'm going to work hard on making this part of my life again.

Bill, clearly this is a can of worms which had better not be opened up on this site. Let me just say that I think all this gender business is over-played. I'm the user and cleaner of tools in our household (the DB is coming up fast behind but the SO is uninterested). And I'm the one who acquires them too. People give them to me and we've only got a small house. I have taken myself in hand and refused almost all imperial spanners as Britain is mostly metric nowadays and I've got enough imperial ones to take me to kingdom come. You go for that Korean thing, if you've got space. Just keep it clean and oiled. The DB and I are considering making raised beds this summer.

Beth, I'm starting to understand what a 'party animal' is now. I just couldn't do it. Do you know these people or most of them? Are some strangers? Anyway, I do like how you've recruited your family to remind you about food, etc so discretely.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #21  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! Last full day of work before the holiday weekend, and I'm taking off Friday and plan to fully relax. Well, that and continue work on this stone garden wall/border. I had aimed to have it done by this weekend, so we'll see how close I get to that. Now I'm getting lazy and frustrated with the project since I'm struggling with the next step.

We're doing our bbq tonight, I suppose, since DH has to work the next four nights. Maybe tomorrow at lunch, as well, with a little repeat. So i'm going to be alone for many meals and need to take this time to get myself reset on program. Dinner last night was homemade turkey pot pie with subbed ingredients and a little white wine in there and boy, it came out delish. I love trying a new recipe and altering it a bit and finding a success. I ate more than I needed to, but didn't leave the table full.

Mom is still in hospital and will be there a little longer; not sure how things will shake out when test results come back. Family is saying for me to wait to come down there (Florida) for awhile, when help is needed more. I can understand that. Why have everyone there at once, instead of spread out a bit. But I still want to be there.

Beth - kudos on sticking to a quarter of their individual pizzas at Unos! I was shocked when I saw their calories and it was close to 1,800 for a "single" ... I got mad then, thinking REALLY? Work folks used to lunch there and I'd order the individual and eat part one day and the rest another day, but still be getting more than I suspected I was getting. Good to split it up.

GardenerJoy - I'm glad to hear that pubs aren't central to enjoying Ireland. We were getting fairly good prices on flights to Ireland last year, but haven't progressed on any planning/dreaming there. This year was to be the year we did some updates on the house (wood trim repaired, painting interior and some exterior), but haven't done that yet, either! Halfway through and need to get a move on.

Bill - Thanks for the tips on the fob - good to know as we rent cars with that system and I just don't like it. DH says I need to move with the times. I want a key and lock and ignition slot. I don't want it beeping at me. I am the same person who turns the tv on/off at the tv and adjusts the volume at the tv, too, which others view as insane. To me, looking around for a remote instead of walking to the tv to adjust the volume is rather odd.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #22  
I can do this

Hi everyone!

This is day 4 of vacation--and the first day of the major party part of it. I had lots of helpers and got all of the food put out by 4:00, when we said we were opening our doors. I had to work at it, but I didn't have a single sweet treat.

My 30 minute morning walk turned into 40 minutes based on when I turned around--I felt energetic and pleased with myself for getting my walk in before the day really started.

My afternoon snack was a nectarine, a few crackers, a few pieces of cheese, and a slice of summer sausage. If you saw what was out there to be eaten, you'd consider that a serious major victory!

My meals have all been OP, too.

Now I have to get through the evening. I'm allowing myself to eat at or close to maintenance range for the next 4 days--I won't lose any weight, but if I don't gain any, that will be a major accomplishment. Since I totally lost control at the last big event, it's reassuring to know that I'm already doing better!

I'm going to re-read my response cards and then head to the next room for the party!

(silverbirch, this group is a Party Special Interest Group of a larger organization--and I actually have been given shirts that label as a Party Animal)

Take care, all!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #23  
Green Tomatoes

I was almost perfect again on eating only in my eating places. I swear I used to be able to get through the day without absent-mindedly licking my fingers. I'll get there again.

That's going well enough that it's time to add back another habit of my healthy lifestyle -- it's time to quit eating foods that I know don't work well. I like to think that my food plan allows me to eat all foods. If I count special occasions, I suppose it does. I could work with this philosophy: I only eat baguettes in France. At home, though, the only thing I get from white bread is a craving for more white bread. White bread needs to be as rare in my life as trips to France. So it's time to cut out that and some of the other things I've been eating as if I didn't know that they cause problems.

So, starting right now, I'm aiming for these two habits:
  • eat only in my eating places
  • eat only foods that serve me well
Old 07-04-2013, 01:49 AM   #24  
I can do this

A second check-in!!

End of day 1 of the 4 day mega-party. I only read my response cards once (but i'm going to read them again before bed). I kept completely to my treat plan--one treat per hour--and only had 3 treats. I just didn't want the others. After the first treat, I wanted cookies. I saw them. I wanted them. I managed to tell myself "you can have a cookie in an hour for your next snack"--and I waited!!!!

I'm feeling really pleased with myself, and success breeds success, so I'm reminding myself that doing it once means that I CAN do it--and that my follow-my-plan muscle will be even stronger tomorrow!

G'night
Old 07-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #25  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - U. S. Independence Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked with DW for the last hour of dwindling light ending in the dark, CREDIT moi - that wonderful period before the stars come out when you look west and see one shining planet chasing the sunset. I drove her new car without a key or fob or anything! The car knew that she was standing by the passenger door and let me open all four doors using the magic handshake. It then knew that she was in the passenger seat and let me start the car and drive. Now that's frightening! I felt naked. Had she abandoned me in mid walk, I wouldn't have had access to the car.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi. I'm mostly having strawberries and blueberries for snacks. At Trader Joe's, I did have a FREE sample of hot apple pie with ice cream. I could have dessert every day if it were served in a one ounce dish. I savored its full joy and didn't want more.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I like this, "I only eat baguettes in France." White bread is an entry drug for me.

silverbirch – Yay for the tranquility that allows you to "stop eating on the run." [I dream of the day that I don't have to own both English and Metric spanners ('wrenches' in my basement) particularly since there's little warning which is required. Thanks for crescent wrenches.]

nationalparker – Kudos for "but didn't leave the table full" - such a nice step along the path. [I'm also not fond of the car beeping all the time. What about arriving home late at night and not wishing to wake the family just because you lock the car? I bet teenagers with curfews have solved that last question, LOL.]

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Super Kudos for "I managed to tell myself "you can have a cookie in an hour for your next snack"--and I waited!!!!" Terrific idea to plan one snack per hour so you can do that.

Readers -
Quote:
day 4 Give Yourself Credit

I've noticed that people who struggle with their weight tend to be hard on themselves. The moment they stray, they become self-critical. Instead of viewing slips as mistakes and thinking how they can solve the problem the next time it arises, they tell themselves that they're weak, hopeless, or even bad.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 74.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #26  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Happy Independence Day to all you Americans. I'm gathering that this is a pretty big day for you ...

A great day yesterday as I only ate in the designated areas and not at the counter. I'm putting the food onto a larger plate which allows it to spread out and look delicious and sufficient. I used to use a smallish bowl for the same amount of food ("I'm only eating a little bit!") but without the visual stimulation.

Bill, be prepared for DW's car to make an awful beep when fuel is running lowish. Also if you're listening to the radio and go past a speed camera. These things may not happen to you but it's good to be prepared. The second, at least, can be dealt with.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

Computer up and running - check! Much planning for July 4th....check!! We are celebrating my youngest nephew's birthday as well today. I so want to say that I can just take the day off, that it is a holiday, that I can have two pieces of ice cream cake and whatever else looks good and just relax!!

So I am doing the 7 questions. First - which Thinking errors?

Overly Positive Fortune Telling. Emotional Reasoning. Self Deluding Thinking. Justification.

OK. Going over Day 27, thinking through everything...what will help me most is replacing all of my sabotaging thoughts with I WOULD RATHER BE THIN! I want to stay fitting in my smaller clothing. I want to keep the higher energy and stamina. The food won't even be that great - hero sandwiches, not a bbq. So not really worth overdoing it. One piece of ice cream cake is more than enough - two won't make me twice as happy, only pile twice as many unnecessary calories and carbs on me.

I am making a card just for today to keep in my pocket, as my pile of cards is too big. It usually sits on my desk where I see it several times a day, but it is too bulky now to fit in my pocket!

I will not have chips or cookies or anything small and snacky. I will have a hero, probably a half if they are bigger than 6", salad and fruit (I am bringing these myself) and one piece of ice cream cake.

I WOULD RATHER BE THIN!
Old 07-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #28  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Happy Fourth! I'm looking forward to a relaxing evening; having had a productive day already. Slept in and piddled around the house with some chores; then we mowed the lawn, trimmed, bbq'd turkey burgers for an early dinner as DH works tonight. I'm staying home with the pets - fireworks are already randomly popping and our dog is snuggled up next to my leg. I was going to give her a trim/bath but I figure I won't stress her out extra today.

Last night we ate dinner on the patio and stayed out there after cleaning the kitchen, looking at the stars, listening to music and just relaxing. Finally went to bed at 1 a.m. and DH wanted to stay out longer and fell asleep out there (I knew he would but he was trying to stay up late as he's working nights now) ... Peaceful evening with candles lit all over and fireworks off in the distance.

Mom is still in hospital- I'm hoping she's released tomorrow, but I think it might be another day or two. I talk to her for a few minutes each evening, but try not to tire her out. Even holding the phone to her ear wears her out.

Food has been okay so far today. Skipped lunch, so early dinner means I need to stay vigilant for snacking. DH made homemade ice cream yesterday and as a favor to me, he swapped part of the half and half for 1% milk ... so now it's a tub of SOLID ROCK HARD ice cream... tastes good - but it's really like the old ice milk we used to buy 20 years ago ... getting a spoon of it out is too much work for me. I feel bad, as ice cream isn't my thing, and he LOVES it, so it's not as delish for him... but had it been soft and creamy, it would have disappeared way too quickly. I think this tub will be around for ages. I'll look around for a recipe that makes four servings. That's do-able.

Rambling check in here - sorry. Will repost tonight with a successful note that I staved off snacking! Goal!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #29  
Green Tomatoes

I did it -- ate only in my eating places and ate only foods that served me well. I feel like my baby steps are starting to add up to something that resembles a healthy lifestyle again.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #30  
I can do this

Congrats on the eating places, gardenerjoy!

Today was a mixed day for me--successful lunch, including passing up the carrot cake. Successful afternoon snack. Too much dinner :-(. I didn't pace my evening party snacking as well as I did yesterday, but still did much better than I've done in the past. I didn't read my response cards during the evening, though, but I should have.

Tomorrow is a day where I can improve!
Closed Thread