Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Becksters: Well, yesterday I had the stomach flu. DH has it too. My DIL had it a few days before we got there last week. Who knows where or how we all got it. I couldn't even sit up in bed without getting dizzy and nauseous. Today I'll try to drink some juice or something.

I surely do appreciate all your kind thoughts and steadfast support that I receive from you folks here.

Have a great day.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #77  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post Many Thanks

Coaches

Many thanks to everyone who continues to post here and keeps this forum alive. It's great to know that when I need you, you're here. What is that worth? It is invaluable.

So I am re-making my advantages cards and making them so they are *physically* available to me to hold in my hands to read wiht my eyes to get it into my brain that I actually *want* and am *choosing* to be on a foodplan to lose weight. I am not being punished, or deprived, or forced to do this for some unknown period of time until I can "get back to normal", all thoughts that continue to circulate in the addled part of my brain that controls "thinking about food". That part's messed up and needs outside information to make good choices (Hello Coaches

I have a foodplan for the day. I have committed it to my foodplan coach and I am now following through with the rest of my promises.

I have been writing down onthe calendar my due dates/deadlines/projects and OMG Coaches, wow. It's all colliding around the 2nd of August. I have A LOT of artwork deadlines for that 1st weekend of August. And with me being away July 4-14 for holidays with DH and then 22-27 at art camp, wow. It's going to be tight. I have to get it in gear NOW.

And with that I am off.

Enjoy your fabulous day!

beverleyjoy Good news about your son. Great. Sorry to hear you are dealing with a cold bug. I had one that was so sticky it hung around for 10 days. Even this morning I could *still* feel it. Take good care.

sparks17 Yes, my neighbour is new to Canada, arriving here in April. 3 boys and the parents all escaping Syria. She has been trying to get her driving license and it's not happening. She keeps failing the test, even though she has driven in Syria since age 15 she said. She is 46. She was an electrical engineer. I just feel such deep feelings of loss when I interact with her. I have no idea how they cope with the immense changes. Really, she's just lonely and her whole household is angry with her that she cannot pass the driver's test. I do not want to add to her stress by rejecting her friendly overtures. When I was sick she knocked at my door daily to see if I was ok, commenting on my coughing and offering me dates and some kind of medicine with lemon... I will take your advice. It's good. Thanks. I'm just uncomfortable with this level of personal concern/involvement from a neighbour.

Lexxiss Enjoy your day today! I saw on weather news that Denver had a record high of 99F. Was it that hot where you are too??

Billblueeyes Kudos for the uptick of your signature counter. Awesome. I notice the Bruins made it to the Stanley Cup finals vs. the Blackhawks. Wow. I will throw my allegiance behind the Boston Bruins. I hope they win the cup!

Bye
Old 06-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 170/168/153

Height: 5'2

I'm here! My entire family (except the baby) came down with a wicked stomach virus 2 Sundays ago so I'm just now getting back into a groove.

Ugh. I don't feel so great about my Beck progress while I was sick and recovering. There have been a few slip ups. No weight gain, but I'm disappointed in some of the things I ate (cupcake, M&Ms, bread). But I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself. Just disappointed that I wasn't able to keep my momentum going.

On a happier note, the past 2 days I've been reading my Advantages Response Cards and listened to the audio.

Yesterday I did a hunger day. Skipped lunch and survived! I felt better than I imagined I would, I was just tired around lunch time but perked up later. So I'm giving myself credit for that.

Today hasn't been the greatest. I just had a giant bowl of Sweet Potato Tomatillo soup with shredded cheddar. It's not awful, but way too many calories for lunch.

Anyway. Hi all! I'm back. Now I'm going to go back and read what you've all been up to.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #79  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post took a step forward

Coaches

I took a step forward toward health just now. I have an appointment for an eating disorder assessment at a treatment center near where I live. It's on Friday. I have been mulling this over for at least 6 months. I have been feeling so stuck on so many levels that I need something heavy duty and focused to clear the way. I am hoping this might be part of the solution for me. *credit* for doing what is hard.

UPDATE: Credits** made my new advantages cards (see avatar) and was OP and checked in all day with my food. Stayed OP today.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-11-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

OP yesterday with the first of my TwoDay Diet. Did not feel hungry at all. Today I eat another 650 calories and then eat a reasonable five day Mediterranean diet 1800 calories (which is fairly easy for me. In fact it is the perfect maintenance amount which is why I haven't reached my goal---Anyhoo...) Optimistic. DS is much better. Planned Pilates.

A little obsessed over ordering "the perfect" piece of luggage for my trip at the end of the month. I have spent two days on the computer searching. I feel guilty. I should have spent two days working for world peace or something. I am sometimes disappointed by my shallowness. However, I did clean out under every sink in the house yesterday (three big trashcans full of half empty cr**. I restocked cleaning supplies and am ready to take over for the cleaning lady I let go for the summer.

BBE: Did you buy chairs? Did you spend longer than I did on the luggage?
Onebyone: Huge Credit for steps to get "unstuck." It is not easy.

Those with the flu aftermath: Feel better.

Last edited by maryann; 06-11-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #81  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Default Presenting Mycroft Holmes, Puppy Esq!

So here he is. Named for Sherlock Holmes' older, bigger, and smarter brother, Mycroft. This is our English Bully boy. 10.6 pounds, 8 weeks--lookit those big paws!

These summer days hanging out with him do evoke last year's hospice time with Finn. Funny, when Finn was a puppy this size, I was doing hospice for my Mom. Time rolls on.

Feeling some kind of flu-ish, doing protein shakes and salads. Definitely OP, going to try to exercise today. Mycroft is too tiny and foolish yet to walk hard in a straight line, so I'll take a Puddin' Jack out for a spin later.

First Vet appointment today. Onward!

spanky

Last edited by spanky; 06-11-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #82  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Mycroft is cute!

I went into today without a written plan, but since I bring my lunch and snack to work, and I'd mentally planned dinner, everything was totally on plan.

I went grocery shopping today (a day late due to a graduation celebration for some of DD's friends). I thought about buying ice cream treats for myself, but then told myself that there was a reason I took them to work. I need to go a couple of weeks without them so that I can get used to not having one every day. Of course, once I start reliably walking for exercise again, I'll have "room" for that type of treat most days.

I did walk today--28 minutes total, which is the most I've done since my toe surgery and my foot is doing well this evening, so that's a good sign!

Take care, all!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:38 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

Beth - Wow, you were great with the ice cream! And your foot is much better -

spanky - I am not an animal person (please don't hate me!) but that is one cute puppy!! Enjoy him

maryann - The TwoDay Diet sounds...hungry, but I can see that you weren't! Hope it works well for you.

onebyone - My thoughts are with you as you have that evaluation Friday. I hope that it is very helpful!

happyhoustonmommy - Great job on the lunch-skipping! I failed the first time I tried, so I have done it twice since then! Glad that you all feel better.

Beverlyjoy - Oh my - really hope that you have recuperated!!!

Reading about how many have been/are sick is making me grateful that I feel fine and nervous about what may be brewing!!

Yesterday I was OP during the day. When I got to the airport I found myself craving ice cream or a cupcake because I saw several people eating and they looked good. I did not get anything even though I really wanted to - credit! After we picked up my daughter and her friend we realized that w did not have enough time for us all to go out to eat (which is what she wanted) before my son's soccer practice. So I gave him PBJ and went to soccer with him and my husband and girls went off to dinner.He brought home half of his dinner for me, which I ate at about 9pm. Part of me was annoyed that he did not order me a whole meal becasue I was hhhhuuuunnnnggggrrrryyyy...but the truth is that half of his wrap (chicken, mozzarella cheese and spinach) was enough and I felt fine when I went to bed. I really am getting better with eating less!!

Today I am having company at 3ish...and I want to EAT lots of whatever it is I serve! So I am up early, planning. I do have room for whatever I want...but I want to choose wisely! I will be hitting the store early and picking up fruit and something from the bakery that will be just enough, so I can't overdo it!

OK - I have to finish planning and get started.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:05 AM   #84  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – More rain today of the downpour type; the local gardeners are grateful. Those of us who don't like to walk in a downpour aren't.

Dinner came from the freezer since I was scheduled to walk to my favorite Greek takeout place for their vegetarian plate and chose not to do it in the rain. My accomplishment for the day, CREDIT moi, was to make some phone calls that were necessary and were languishing on the to-do list.

onebyone – Sounds like a plan, "I have to get it in gear NOW." Wishing you well for handling the convergence of the first week in August. Kudos for OP and making that appointment. [This town goes bonkers when the Bruins are in the Stanley cup playoffs. T-shirts are already being sold.]

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Waving back; busy is good.

Beverlyjoy – Ouch for the family flu. Sending virtual Chicken Soup.

maryann - LOL at the luggage search - because I used to fall victim to every ad for a 'carry on' bag that promised no wrinkles. Terrific news, "Did not feel hungry at all." [Yep, bought four dining room chairs that DW likes and I can tolerate. Now that they're here, I'll never think of them again, LOL.]

spanky - Gotta love that bulldog face on Mycroft Holmes. Kudos for "Onward!"

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Congrats on those 28 minutes of walking with your healing foot. Kudos for leaving the ice cream treats in the store where they belong.

sparks17 – Some foods are like this, "I don't find it filling enough for the calories" - almost all appetizers for me.

happyhoustonmommy - Kudos for achieving your hunger experiment. How hungry did you record?

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

what are you thinking?

Here are some common sabotaging thoughts that I've heard over the years, along with helpful responses. Make Response Cards for any you think may apply to you.

Sabotaging Thought: I can learn to eat sensibly after I finish dieting.

Helpful Response: If I don't learn how to eat sensibly now, what evidence do I have that I'll be able to learn later? I need to start now.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 68.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #85  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Struggling today. I find that the slower pace of an at-home vacation has allowed a lot of normally tamped down anxiety to float to the surface. Our family finances have become ever more precarious as the care for our adopted son gets ever more expensive.

At this point, we have put our not-too-ritzy beach trailer up for sale to cut down on expenses. Next we'll have to sell our house and find a much cheaper one. We thought we'd first do one, then the other, but are afraid we'll run out of summer and not get the house sold.

Suddenly the whole mess is a lot to think about and there's a fountain of anxiety. Snacking is the temptation, I can only do deep breathing for so long...thought I'd try venting here, then going out for a walk.

Stayin' on the board for now. spanks

Last edited by spanky; 06-12-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

OP Yesterday. Weight at ticker.I have started an annoying pattern of waking up at 3 a.m. At least it gives me an opportunity to read my new book Flight Pattern by Barbara Kingsolver. I see few parallels between the midwest dirt farmers in the book and my farming life here. My husband tells me to just wait. The river could come up, the trees die and we could be smoking a pack a day and skipping payments. Something to think about.

Anyhoo...

Some residual work from school and then camping this weekend in Santa Cruz on the coast. it is DS 11th bday. I have bought a beautiful puppet owl and plan to hide it along with his letter from Hogwarts somewhere on our hiking trail. Grateful to have time and energy in my life for such moments.

BBE: Credit for not taking a frozen dinner as license to eat a spectacular something else.

Spanky: Few problems are more emotional than financial ones. Credit for checking in and fighting the good fight.

Sparks17: Credit for finding dinner "enough" That was the first big hurdle in Beck for me.

BethfromDayton: Congrats on a better foot. I did my first step class today (after a two month hiatus.) Felt good to be exercising.

Last edited by maryann; 06-12-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #87  
Rosebud170

S/C/G: 311/208/176

Height: 5'9"

Hi there Coaches,
It has been insanely chaotic this week and will continue to be that way through next week. But then, Hawaii!!!

For now, I have been doing very well with exercise and eating within my range. I have, however been slacking on reading ARCs, giving credit and on planning as thoroughly ahead of time. I truly want this to be a lifetime change of managing my weight and being healthy. I will pick my book up tonight and run off the checklists of the basics to use each day for awhile to stay in that groove.

We have only a few days left of school and I am enjoying every last moment with my students and Girl Scout troop and getting my stuff done to pack up classroom for summer cleaning.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #88  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile First Training Session!

I had my first training session with my new personal trainer, Steve, on Tuesday. I have a cold (again!) and have been battling migraines, so not at my best, but we had a great first session. He said that I am very strong and have good stability. He is big on getting the metabolism going with strength training with heavy weights. YIKES!!! I pulled a 75 pound weight on a "sled" wrapped around my waist as I walked around a huge parking lot area ~ twice! I also did some free weight exercises and worked out on many of their weight machines. I was sweating a lot...... and I am not a big sweater!!! So he gave me a heck of a workout. Going back tomorrow for our 2nd training session. My thighs are killing me today!!! Can't wait to see what's in store for me tomorrow. He seems to really know his stuff and echoed my notion that I should do one thing at a time, so put the nutritionist on hold for now until I get the training routine established. He said that if I take on too much at once, I will just crash and burn, which is true.

Food has been better during the week, but still room for improvement. It is so difficult to pull together the whole deal (food, exercise, and mental attitude), but I will never give up! I can do this...... one thing at a time!

spanky: OMGosh, Mycroft is so darn cute!!! Thank you so much for sharing the photos with us! Enjoy every minute with him!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi friends.. beckies - I am coming back to 'life'. I am on the upswing from the flu. Grateful for that. I had oatmeal today and crackers and some gingerale.

We are anticipating some severe weather overnight. The weather folks are telling us the 'batten down the hatches'. There are tornado warnings to the north. Neighbors helped get the garden things brought into garage etc. I think I am ready... filled up the gas tank, got some cash, got the flashlights/lanterns/candles out, got the batteries in the radio, charged my cell phone/laptop, and picked up my Rx's that were ready. With what has happened in the Midwest of late... I just want to be prepared. It usually means I won't need any of it. (I hope not.) I am fascinated how the weatherfolks can watch a storm from street to street as it 'marches' through a town and report on it and show it all to us.

I think by tomorrow, I'll be able to eat again.

Thanks folks, for you kind thoughts and wishes of better health.

Take care anyone in the Midwest.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-12-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #90  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Food was OP today. My only deviation from my written plan is that I'd forgotten to pack my cheese for my afternoon snack--so just had crackers. I walked this morning and this afternoon. I still haven't gone back to the dumbbell challenge, though. I'm not sure why I find that so hard to stick with.

I've got breakfast and lunch all planned out for tomorrow, and will take dinner out of the freezer to defrost before I go to bed.

Take care, all!
Closed Thread