Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #61  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Donald Duck's Birthday (79)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was getting past items on nefarious to-do lists - both at my house and at the house of a relative who is getting a place ready to rent. After changing a zillion toilet bowl flappers in my life, I was handed a "Universal Flapper" that didn't fit the toilet in need. Ouch, because that meant several trips to the local hardware store and then to Home Depot to find the one that works. The world's easiest handyman job escalated to a standard multi-trip pain. Fortunately, the electrical work that can sometimes be difficult was easy this time. Working with four inch duct pipe isn't my favorite thing, but feels soooo good when it's done. We handymen don't get to specialize; each to-do item was a different trade.

Eating was OK enough. CREDIT moi enough. Meals continue to be stellar; snacks continue to be larger.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Hope you can resolve that ear issue. Kudos for an on-plan "dinner switch" - which I read as dimmer switch since that's what I was just doing.

Beverlyjoy – Sending supportive thoughts for your DS and family. Hope all goes well.

spanky - Yay for Puppy Week - that's sure to add even more exercise.

Rosebud170 – LMAO at, "Only 8 more wake ups until summer break!!!" Kudos for OP; Ouch for the snack attack - I know about those.

sparks17 – Kudos for "NO CHOICE" on that doughnut - on National Doughnut Day, no less. Wonderful thought for the day, "Delayed gratification. It is a thing."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

what are you thinking?

If so, take the time right now to counter that type of thinking. For example, if you want to lose weight quickly for a special event, be realistic. Tell yourself that you're better off if you diet sensibly and lose just a little weight before the occasion and then continue to steadily lose weight afterwards.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 68.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

Hey everyone! Today my plan is...leave some on my plate. I was out for breakfast and I will be out for dinner. Hard to know about the calories - I don't even know where we are going tonight! But I can order exactly what I want and NOT EAT THE WHOLE THING!!

At breakfast I - skipped the muffins they put on the table. Ordered eggs, ww toast, sausages, home fries, oj, tea. Had only one slice of toast and didn't finish that - I made myself leave a few bites! I pushed half the potatoes to the side of my plate and did not let myself consider them as available. I still ate plenty and feel satisfied, not deprived!

I hope to do the same thing tonight at dinner.

And here is a great NSV. My husband dropped me off at the supermarket to pick up meat while he ran into the bank. He texted me when he got to the store and before I could get back to him, he found me. I was down the same aisle but he texted me because he did not recognize me from behind. How awesome is that!!!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #63  
Rosebud170

S/C/G: 311/208/176

Hello coaches,
Today is better...I followed my plan and am going to walk THE hill a bit later for some exercise. I also did some strength training on my TRX...dd and I have plans to go to the Y for strength training this week since she took the orientation that makes it so she can come with me! It is fun to be able to do something like that together.

Not much to report...already trying to figure out how I will structure my exercise in the summer time...I will be able to go to some new classes and also need to get some biking in for my lazyman triathlon.

Happy rest of the weekend to you all!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:02 AM   #64  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

OP yesterday and stuck to my dinner even when DH decided to change to pizza. credit. A good decision, as the scale continues to show a favorable number these days....(helped, admittedly, by slammer busy work days) My ear problem is resolved...internet searches provided the answer for me -I found a way to continually flush the ear until all the built up wax came out….voila I can hear again.

BBE, yay for exercise crossing items off your list! I find it so helpful for my peace of mind. Yay for stellar meals...even if snacks are off a bit.

Rosebud, I'm so interested in your lazyman triathlon. It sounds like such a great way to challenge yourself.

sparks, love your NSV! Great job leaving food on your plate!

spanky, yay for OP and preparation for new pup….I am a little envious as I continue to love and nurse my sick one.

IBelieveInMe2, yay for making your Tuesday appt with your trainer. Glad to hear you are feeling better.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #65  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – I was out walking, CREDIT moi, just like Noah surveying the damage from 40 days of rain. My resolve had weakened so that I now wish that I had purchased the CSI: book that I passed on a few days ago but the good news is that it had been sold. Sometimes procrastination pays. I really don't want the book; I only want to see if my mind works like a detective's mind or not. Methinks not since I gloss over details that seem irrelevant at the time. I'd hate to lose that skill. How could I ever read Tolstoy if I remembered every detail?

Did OK on eating. Dinner was outside on the patio. I briefly stopped by an event to wish some folks well and avoided the mushy cake that looked awesome - CREDIT moi for that. A British guy talked me into trying a slice of sweet potato from a dish because he said they don't have sweet potato in England. He also said they don't have raccoons or Northern Cardinals. Seems odd for a place that has Wood Storks on chimneys.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Congrats on the favorable scale readings. I do love when I discover that I'm not going deaf - just gotten behind on ear wax.

Rosebud170 – Yay for strength training with your DD. Kinda neat that your gym gives an orientation for the weight room - at my gym any fool can do anything so long as they pay their dues.

sparks17 – Terrific situation, "feel satisfied, not deprived!" - Kudos for getting there. Yep, awesome indeed that your DH didn't recognize you from behind.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5

what are you thinking?

Here are some common sabotaging thoughts that I've heard over the years, along with helpful responses. Make Response Cards for any you think may apply to you.

Sabotaging Thought: I want to try this diet I heard about. It promises I can lose a lot of weight very quickly, very easily, and without effort. So what if it isn't nutritionally balanced? I won’t be on it for long anyway.

Helpful Response: A fad diet isn't healthy, and I'll need to be on a diet - or a variation of the diet - for a long time. Promises that sound too good to be true invariably are too good to be true.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #66  

Last night did not go as well as I had planned. I ate more dinner than I should have, becasue it tasted good. I had half a dessert...but I could have had none. I did not bring my cards to the restaurant...I could have read them in the car before going in, at least! Part of me wants to think that I am a big girl and I don't need these constant reminders, but I really do! So I am sticking on Day 20 - Get back on track - for a bit longer. I have a good plan for the day - meals and snacks, exercise and walking.

Bill
- LOL about Noah! On Saturday I was walking in the park and had to detour around the Parks Dept. truck as they were removing fallen branches. Thankfully, not that much damage around here!

lexxiss - I really struggle with sticking to my plan when my husband changes things up! I need to have a talk with him...but I feel guilty. How much should he give up to help make things easier for me??

Rosebud - what is a TRX?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks... my son is home from the hospital now and I have returned back home. He's doing much better. I am glad to be back home in my 'food comfort zone'. Or - at least a place where there's good potential for eating healthfully.

DH and I held down the fort, so to say. We did lots of laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping, gardening and playing with the grandkids. We had a few fun adventures, too. Glad to be able to help.

I feel like a need a few days with limited carbs. My dietician said that is fine.

I am weary and still worried - but, things are going in a positive direction for my son.

Thanks to you folks who sent positive thoughts and/or prayers. I really appreciate it.

I've written down a plan.

Have a great day.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #68  
Green Tomatoes

Like Beverlyjoy, I've written down a plan. That is such a huge step. Things went haywire over the weekend with continued jet lag leading to a lot of lethargy and apathy. But, I can be tired and still follow a plan so that's what I'm going to do. Off to make parsley soup from all the parsley I pulled up from the garden since it went to seed while we were gone.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Survived last week of school and a flight to LA for a bridal shower. Food not OP but exercised everyday. I wish I could have enough confidence in myself to survive a last few days of school without resorting to eating crap. I drown in the emotions.

Sunday started new variations on my Eat to Live program. I read about the two day hospital diet out of the University of Manchester. Five days a week you eat a Mediterranean diet ( which I do) and then two days several limit the calories to 650 (1 fruit, two pints dairy, 4 servings veggies). Apparently this helps lose "stress" belly fat. I am giving it a try because it is very close to what I am doing now.

Read all your posts but am swamped with catchup work here in my wreck of a house. Plus DS is a little under the weather.

Wave.

Last edited by maryann; 06-10-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #70  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

My weekend away was beyond off plan to "never heard of plan" :-(. Today is Monday, though, and things are much more under control--breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner--OP. I planned on having some cake at the graduation party we went to, but had a bigger piece :-( than I'd planned, and a glass of wine I hadn't planned on.

Tuesday will be an OP day!
Old 06-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #71  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation glitch after glitch after glitch (super long)

Coaches

I've had a very challenging 3 days, no now it's 4 days. I'm struggling a lot right now and can't seem to find my "I really want to do this" motivation. It seems to have morphed into an "I'm doing ok. whatever" grudging compliance to the status quo. I think I am now harming myself by not moving forward with my weight loss. ie. this is getting serious, and so, I need to treat it seriously and get back on track.

I had a really *really* tough Saturday. My first day selling at the farmers' market this year. This was my 21st (!) year selling things at a farmers' market btw. Wow.

So, it was the after-the-market part that took me by total surprise. I had expected the first part of it, the market part/the set-up part. I did have an OP breakfast. I made sure I wasn't stressed out--took extra time/plenty of time/asked for help. I did stick to a planned treat of a "vendor-priced" coffee at the market and I was feeling good.

Then as I took a stroll to see who's new and who's back from last year (forgetting TOTALLY that new foods are a major trigger for me) I came upon a new vendor with made from scratch cheap dessert squares. I wasn't selling much ($13 total for the day - not unexpected) and, since I had actually made it there, my feelings of entitlement and righteous I deserve this for all I have done were looming large. I thought "I'll bring these home for DH and have one here (3 for $5).

What I had planned to do was go to the smoked meats guy and buy pepperoni for DH and have 2 of those--which would have been OP as they are not carby/sweet. Never got that far. So I ate a brownie.I stopped there and then after market went to my studio to drop my market stuff off which felt great to unload the car instead of come home to unload/find spots for my market stuff in the apartment. I was feeling smug and decided to get cheap chinese takeout for lunch from the place near my studio. It's a lunch special $4.99 no substitutions. I got beef/broccoli with fried rice for DH and chicken lo mein with fried rice for me. As my large meal it is not great but not terrible once in a while and I seem to go there once a month. Ok so then I come home and all of a sudden boom I am exhausted. completely like can't think straight exhausted. Normal for after market. I sit down to eat and the knocks on the door start. I can hardly talk and my Syrian upstairs neighbour is at the door with a tray of kibbe = bulgur and bits of meat deep fried into a ball. I've had these before in Ottawa. they are ok. I thank her and I go back to my food, put hers in the kitchen. I had just finished my soup and knock knock. More food, this time a small pot of soup (lentil?) I take it she wants her pot back asap. I now have to wash her pot and knock on her door. Ok. I do it. Then go back to my food and then knock knock and she had fogotten the yogurt that goes with the kibbe. She needs her bowl back. Ok. wash wash knock knock and then back to my food and her food sits in the kitchen. I can't/don't know how to deal with this. I overeat in response, eating DH's leftover rice plus mine plus a dessert square earmarked for the next day.

My Beck buddy has suggested I need to meticulously plan my market day. I totally agree. And I know I can do both: lose weight and be at a farmer's market one day a week. It's not some impossible feat. I have to make checking in with this group/my buddy a no choice thing as well. I am hesitating committing to a no choice must check in before I eat. That must mean that it would be a serious crimp in what can be a seemless mindless flow of energy right into overeating.

Anyway, I welcome the input you may have in how to deal with the food that's coming to me on a regular basis from upstairs. I am uncomfortable revealing to her that I plan my food to lose weight. I don't talk about this with anyone except a select few, and I think culturally, this won't wash anyway. It feels like more than I want to reveal. It's tough enough for me to have my boundaries as it is.

So far I have decided that I can accept the food but don't have to eat it, just like the conclusion I came to with DH's mom, who was my biggest food pusher until this new neighbour. I ended up eating all of the kibbe. The yogurt remains in the fridge as does the soup. I don't want them. I haven't thrown them out yet though.

When I am not tired, I can cope with this stuff. When tired, I go to old path-of-least-resistance-people-pleasing mode. My weight cannot take another weekend like I just had. THIS is what I really need to remember, tired or not.

Today's food was better as the day wore on. I was ravenous this morning but by dinner was strting to feel normal and had a decent light meal. I am feeling very bloated, very puffy, very f-a-t tonight. Scared to step on the scale in the morning. Oh well. I need to know where I am at.

Have a good night.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #72  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Red face a little less talk and a lot more action!!!

Well, I talked a good game the other night when I posted about being better at the lake. Unfortunately, my talk did not transfer into action. I went with what tasted good at the moment over what is best for my health in the long run. So food was off plan and a bit out of control. Exercise, on the other hand, was great!!! CREDIT for many walks with DH and the dogs and some long bike rides with DH around the islands at the lake. Beautiful bike rides!!! Nothing like seeing the sun shining down on the water while riding through the islands! It made the exercise fun and stimulating for the senses at the same time. Yesterday, I started feeling like my cold was coming back (or I was getting another one) and woke up this morning feeling terrible. I am supposed to work out with my trainer in the morning. I have a call in to him and will go with whatever he says. With another cold, my trip to Ireland coming up on the 19th, and my foot surgery July 16th, I am wondering (and mentioned to him) if I should wait until after it all to get started with the personal training. If he thinks I should at least meet him and get started, I will, but it will be somewhat sporadic for the first several months. I am really focusing on increasing my activity on my own, too, regardless, so that movement becomes a more natural part of my day. It has to be a priority if I am going to lose weight and keep it off.

Well, I really did not want to "fess up" to my poor eating at the lake, so CREDIT for coming here and posting the truth anyway. It feels better to get it off my chest. Back OP in the morning! I will re-read my last post and LIVE IT this time!!! I can do it!!!

spanky: Did you get your puppy?!? I saw a brief plan you had for taking the week off with the new pup, but didn't see a post with details. What kind of pup, what color, name, etc.?!? Details on the newest family member, please!

to everyone!!! Hope all is well!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 05:19 AM   #73  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Gym was gym, CREDIT moi. The weight area had been rearranged. They move stuff around as often as my SIL rearranges furniture in her house, LOL. Maybe they do it for the exercise since it's super heavy equipment.

Today's the day I uptick the counters in my signature, CREDIT moi. It's fun to remember that just moving on is the goal. Eating was OK enough. Dinner was a good lentil soup leftover. Reheated lentil soup is even better than the first time.

onebyone – Ouch for a rough day at the farmers' market and a rough several days. Beautifully described Sabotaging Thought, "feelings of entitlement and righteous I deserve this for all I have done." Kudos for being able to see that.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Hard to believe that there could be any calories in parsley soup, LOL. Ouch for "lethargy and apathy" even though they're such neat words.

Beverlyjoy – So relieved to hear that things are going in a positive direction for your DS. Kudos for getting right back into writing a plan.

maryann - Hope you succeed with your 'catchup' - that my brain insisted was 'ketchup' for several readings. Kudos for surviving a flight - always a difficult eating environment for me.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Welcome back to On Plan. Celebration food is so seductive.

IBelieveInMe2 – Spot on, like the Nike ad, "a little less talk and a lot more action!!!" Kudos for that lovely exercise.

sparks17 – Kudos for stopping at half of that dessert. Sometimes we need to celebrate the good that we've done rather than how much we left undone.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5

what are you thinking?

Here are some common sabotaging thoughts that I've heard over the years, along with helpful responses. Make Response Cards for any you think may apply to you.

Sabotaging Thought: Since my diet doesn't say I have to eat breakfast, I'm going to skip it. I'd rather be able to eat more later in the day.

Helpful Response: Skipping breakfast in the past hasn't allowed me to lose weight permanently. I need to change my eating habits if I want to be successful this time.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #74  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Whew...busy but I do have a plan and intend to follow it.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #75  

Yesterday..I was a little over my plan but within my calorie range (1,800 eaten instead of 1700 planned). I had a small breakfast and I was swamped with thoughts of food and real hunger and cravings all day. I do so much better when I eat enough breakfast so why don't I always plan for it

Today is set for breakfast and lunch and snack. Dinner is up in the air again. We are picking my daughter up at the airport and I have left dinner up to her. If she wants me to cook, I have a meal she likes and I know how I will handle it. If she wants to go out, it will be a place we go to often as a family and I will have a lot of good choices. If she wants pizza...I have a hard time with pizza. I don't find it filling enough for the calories, if that makes sense. So if it is pizza, I will be at the top of my calorie range and I will probably still be a little hungry...but it wont' be an emergency!

Beverlyjoy - so glad that your son is doing better!!

onebyone - And about the neighbor's food. I don't think that you need to tell her about your eating plan, as I don't think it would be worth the risk of offending her. I am assuming that she is older and not Americanized? I am imagining her like one of my grandmothers (the other would not have given anybody anything!!) - sweet, giving yet very set in her old-world ways. Anyway, I think that you can eat some or all of it if you like, but the next day, so you can plan it. And I think here is nothing wrong with tossing some or all of it, discreetly. At least, that is how I would handle it!

My best encouraging thoughts to everyone else!
Closed Thread