Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #61  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Having brown bag lunch with some friends (mine: on plan peanut butter, banana, and pecan sandwich, CREDIT moi), I learned that it's possible to take a tour on a Russian nuclear ice breaker above the Arctic Circle - now that's a thought I'd never had before. Not sure what one does on a nuclear ice breaker when not looking at their GPS, LOL.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi, but not perfect because an extra snack happened. Good news was that I had a reasonable dinner when extra food was available.

maryann - Yep, it's the recovery that matters most, "but this morning is OP."

spanky - Sending supportive thoughts for the loss of your relative. May you find a way to stay your path as you process this.

nationalparker – Always a good sign at a buffet, "and didn't have a second plate."

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Cheers for "a lovely PB&J today" - from an unabashed fan. Kudos for that exercise even while watching your foot.

IBelieveInMe2 – Kudos for an OP day ending with a healthy snack.

Jo (veganasaurusrex) – So nicely put, "I have the willpower to say no, I just need to strengthen it like any other muscle." Kudos for avoiding that KFC and tending to yourself for the long weekend.

Liz (lizagna) – Love the positive image, "but I looked like a fit, trim, happy person."

Lulu (LuLu01801) – Brightens my day, "busiest most fun weekend."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

day 1
Record the Advantages of Losing Weight

what are you thinking?
You might still be having sabotaging thoughts about creating or reading your Advantages Response Card. If so, these responses may help.

. . .
Sabotaging Thought: This won't work for me.
Helpful Response: I don't have a crystal ball, so I don't know whether or not it'll work. The one think I do know for sure is that I didn't do this in the past and I haven't achieved lasting weight loss yet. I may as well just do it. What do I have to lose?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 61.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #62  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I will probably be MIA here for a bit.

It's DDay...a week early, I might add. Our renovation project was supposed to start NEXT Wednesday and a call from our contractor friends moved it up to tomorrow. They will arrive today with construction trailer and then head to denver to see if they can purchase a camper. If they don't find one then they will reside in our tv room for the next 4 nights. Either way, we will be sharing our home with them. I have to work today but will have the next 3 days off to focus on the project.

Internet has been painfully slow here....sometimes I can barely post which makes it impossible to take 5 minutes to check in and say hi.

I'll keep reading, though....iphone seems to work good for that but not so good for typing responses.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 210/220/140

Height: 5'3

Yesterday was an interesting lesson. I did have some good moments. I got to work (at my regular full time job at a different non-profit) and was told there was leftover corn from a Friday BBQ. I love me some corn. So at lunch time I gleefully skip to the fridge, open it up and am confronted with a GIGANTIC chafing dish of Macaroni and Cheese. As everyone around me is chowing down I felt frustrated, but still in control. I said “not an option” and enjoyed my corn (CREDIT!).

Then, when I got home, I was baking muffins and found myself tasting the batter to make sure it had enough vanilla in it. Then when I made pasta I tasted a noodle to check for done-ness. Then I thought about posting here today and wondered how people balance tasting food while cooking with not eating sitting down. I had a sabotaging thought “Tasting standing up can’t be a big deal or a problem, I’m sure everyone does it”. Then, I found myself eating part of my bowl of pasta standing at the counter getting a bowl ready for the kiddo staying over. Then I found myself eating bites from her bowl. Then when the muffins finished I ate a bite of muffin standing up. I recocognize now that there IS something to this Beck stuff – if I eat anything standing up I will be more prone to continuing to eat standing up and not paying attention. I turned this into a response card (CREDIT!)

Yesterday was totally OP in the sense that I didn’t eat anything not vegan (I haven’t started my “diet” yet.) I also noticed that I slipped on a few other things when I didn’t take my vitamins and drink my water – everything is connected! Making a lot of great observations yesterday has put me in a good place to be successful today! (CREDIT!) Also I've completed Day 5, finding a diet coach, because this community is certainly in my head all the time!

LuLu I was hoping you would respond to my request! Expect an email soon 
IbelieveInMe2 Yay on making that scale obey you! (Now I have an image of you as a lion tamer cracking a whip over the scale as the numbers fall) And thanks for the kind words.
spanky I’m sorry for your loss. Sending good vibes of healing to you.
bethFromDayton Now THAT PB&J was worth waiting for! The difference between waiting and savoring something wonderful and just scarfing down a PB&J in response to a craving is something I’m working to learn.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #64  
Rosebud170

S/C/G: 311/208/176

Hi coaches,
Things are going well but I am dog tired! Our grade level gives the state test next week so we are prepping the kids for it with released items for lots of practice. practice is good but not that exciting. i to,d the kids that we will have book groups and art after the test!

I ate within my range but tweaked a few items at the end of the day on my plan. Water aerobics last night and tomorrow too.

It is so weird how I was feeling so "sassy" having lost a good chunk of weight -I really feel the difference. Now, even though I have kept that weight off, it feels just like I did before losing it. I have a lot to lose and feel overall really positive but feel less of the skip in my step now. Is that what maintenance is going to be like? Maintainers-feel free to chime in.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #65  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I had a great OP day today--and a food victory that I totally attribute to all of you. We went out to Hot Head Burrito for dinner, and that was fine, since their Lil bowl is a reasonable size and fits my plan just fine. Then we went grocery shopping. That went fine, too.

I bought some frozen ice cream low-cal treats--and then spent a little bit of time arguing with myself. "No choice" I told myself. "Not an option" I told myself. "You can plan for one tomorrow" I told myself. I thought I'd gotten through to myself, but then the issue raised its head again when I put the treats away at home. I told myself "which story do you want to tell on the Beck forum tonight?" I definitely heard that one--and backed down and the frozen treats are still in the freezer for when I've planned on a treat. CREDIT! (all in caps)

I've planned out tomorrow--and I will have one of those tomorrow evening.

I didn't buy any deli meat at the grocery store--I enjoyed my PB&J so much I think I'll plan for those for a while.

I'm Day 4 of 3 of my challenges (2 rest days plus a plank) and on day 3 of my Dumbbell challenge--didn't have any trouble to get motivated to do that after work. Big credit there. DD kept my company while I did them and told me about her day, so that was really nice.

Rosebud170: DH thought I was nutty when I told him I simultaneously felt as if I'd lost a lot of weight and that I hadn't changed any. I think each place we get starts to feel like a new normal, especially if we're there for a while.

veganasaurusrex: Thanks for sharing your standing up sort of day--we all have those slippery slopes we have to watch out for. I think it's hard when cooking because sometimes we do have to taste for flavor (spaghetti sauce, anyone?) but it can really snowball if we're not careful. Credit for a day full of observations!

Lexxiss: I'll be thinking good thoughts at you as you deal with the disorganization of renovating. Even if you can't post, I'm thinking of you!

BillBE: I want to take a tour on a Russian nuclear ice breaker--I didn't know I wanted to do that but now I know I do! I've never put nuts on a sandwich, but it makes sense.

Take care, all.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #66  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – 100% on eating plan, CREDIT moi. With a bunch of uses of No Choice tossed out during potential snack times.

Even better, my walk (CREDIT moi) took me to Whole Foods because I needed peanut butter. Without planning in advance - I know, dumb - I encountered my first FREE sample and thought, It's cheese, neither rare nor unusual and certainly in my life anytime I want, including in my fridge right now. So, passed on that and the next sample, Double CREDIT moi. Kids were playing soccer in the park. Ate dinner on the patio - first time this year - interrupted by a very noisy, very insistent pair of House Sparrows in a loud mating ritual. First he chased her, then she chased him. First time I've yelled, "Get a room" to birds, LOL.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Contractors living in the TV room is up to your neck in the work. Bon Voyage. May it be a successful ride. Remember, eating has never released renovation tension.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Super to have a DD who'll tell you about her day. Kudos for keeping up with your exercise plan.

Jo (veganasaurusrex) – Ouch for an unexpected "GIGANTIC chafing dish of Macaroni and Cheese" with GIGANTIC Kudos for leaving it be. Great insight about chef-tasting as a gateway drug to mindless nibbling.

Rosebud170 – Neat on-plan day with exercise, Kudos. Maintenance has lost some of the "skip in my step" because I no longer have the adrenaline from seeing the numbers drop.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

day 2Pick Two Reasonable Diets
If you already know which diet you plan to follow, that's great. But keep reading because you need to choose two diets - the one you plan to start with and a second diet in case the first one doesn't work out.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 63.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #67  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Happy Hump Day, Becksters! I am thankful that I have a few minutes to check in here today.

Busy evenings so far this year. Monday night I was prepping dinner and DH went into garage and said oh no - another one! Me: Another What? ... Another dog in our garage! Me: OH NO! (We are the last house on a residential street, but there is a trail right next to us, and a farmer's field right there, too ... and we suspect people come down that side road, open the door and dump animal... but that wasn't the case thankfully. This dog (pit bull/bit of boxer) was uber energy, leaping all over me, which does drive me nuts. I yelled DOWN!! And out of habit with our dog did the down command that I learned with closed fist, and the dog bellyflopped down. OH, okay, trained a bit. Well, after it was chasing everyone on the trailend, and racing all over, punctuated by spells sitting ON our patio furniture and looking out over the yard and checking out what was grilling, I saw a neighbor who is usually an "in/out" one - you only ever see them rushing in or out. I hollar to him to see if he's ever seen this dog, who was collared but not tagged (nor neutered). Yeah - i'm trying to get him in the house. Oh, well. Nice. I said well, with no tag, it's hard to call him out of the street when cars are whipping by. Kind of irritated me. I ended up walking the dog over to get inside ... No hey, thanks for keeping an eye on him so he didn't get hit, etc. And the dog's toenails went through our back sliding screen door when he was peering inside our kitchen, so that needs to be repaired. This took the WHOLE evening. We got nothing else done. I was cranky afterward - seriously, tag your dang dog. Esp with a pit mix - people are quick to call animal control.

Made up for lost time yesterday evening - got home and straight to work digging out the berm and weeding and transplanting and chopping stuff down. Now we have NO privacy from the trail, so I'm anxious to get started on the deck, which will not be a quick start as we're still trying to figure out the permit stuff. Sorry for the boring update here - but since not bored, I didn't add in extra food to attempt to relieve the boredom.

Meeting DH for lunch at a museum cafe near work, and then he'll go through the exhibit - special one on guitars I know he'll really enjoy. Then more garden work tonight. I'm really psyched as I've figured out what I want to do with what I'm rescuing, building two small garden walls for retained gardens on different levels. Want to price that out tomorrow evening. My plans are often bigger than my pocketbook.

GardenerJoy - I might be coming to you for suggestions! I LOVE gardening but am not a great maintainer with our activities. The centerpiece of my berm now is a 9' Canadian Hemlock that I love (and oddly enough, worry about in the winter with the winds, ice, etc. - I "feel" for it.)

Bill - GREAT job with passing up the samples and being 100% on plan! You're my role model today! I have a lot of birds in my area, but I know so few of them. Last night we had all the regulars - bats, canadian geese, crows, starlings, mallards, cardinals, robins and all the little brown fellers I call sparrows and wrens but in honesty, I don't know what they are! But they were all conversing and it was so pleasant. Re: ice breaker - my dad was stationed on an ice breaker in the navy years ago and I love his stories when I am able to wrangle them out of him. Never thought you could go ON one! Cool!

Beth - What a GREAT way to think of what your action is - which are you going to report? Proud of you for making that choice - and I'll bet YOU are, too!

Lexxiss - Good luck with the renovations! Exciting, though disruptive! I've never had a major one that was planned - hope it comes out wonderful!

Jo - It appears that you have stared down the mac and cheese beast and came out VICTORIOUS!! You go! Major kudos abound. That is by FAR one of my favorite foods and we enjoy it sparingly, but when I make it, I try to not feel guilty because I lighten it up to a point that it's do-able and use real cheese, light milk, etc. I used to have a friend who would come over and say, I've had a hard day ... will you make some mac and cheese? And it is an hour-long recipe - not a speedy dealio. I never taste food when cooking - I wonder why. Well, i do take a bite of a piece of pasta but always spit it out. Sorry, yuck. It's just not "ready" food?

Rosebud - Good luck with the testing prep and the testing! Will you have a sense of relief when it's over?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #68  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi Coaches!

Our friends decided to travel this morning so I was given a wonderful reprieve. I got some rest and was able to regenerate after finishing my work week. They'll be here in an hour although I've heard they may be traveling in snow. It's a beautiful day here.

My fridge is stocked with healthy foods and my goal for the next few days is to stay as close to my normal/standard/average/comfortable "food self" as possible. I don't know exactly how they eat but I do know how I eat. I've weighed this morning (maintaining) and feel up for this challenge. I'm glad I got to get in and say hello to you all. credit.

BBE, thanks for the reminder that eating has never released renovation tension…..advice coming from a pro...lol. I think of you often as we move forward...now it's my turn. Kudos for spontaneous resistance with free samples!

nationalparker, I'm thankful that I have a few minutes to check in here today, too. Wow-crazy evening you had with the loose pup...irritating, for sure! Your yard projects sound rewarding...I look forward to the day when the other stuff is finished and I can concentrate on the yard. Thx for kind reno wishes!

Beth(fromDayton), yay for resisting the low cal treats as you remembered you could successfully plan for them. Thx for thinking good thought for me...I'll be reminded while I'm at work. I AM going to try to keep posting. It's mostly my super slow internet that's foiling me right now. Congrats on your new ticker weight!

Rosebud, yay for eating within your range while tweaking a few items. I am maintaining my losses right now yet always understand I have more to lose. I try to acknowledge and enjoy my progress while reminding myself I need to keep learning new strategies to help me to eventually find my goal.

Jo(veganasaurusrex), I think every encounter I have with food provides a lesson for me. Kudos for saying no choice to mac/cheese (for more reasons than one). For me, in the kitchen, a taste needs to be legitimate, and often it is. When it is not legitimate I make every effort to use my Beck skills and say no choice. If I find myself with a part of a bowl of pasta then I decide right then...either sit down or stop eating. Yes, everything is connected.

LuLu, I look forward to catching up with you, too. Sometimes we all get tugged in just too many directions at one time.

Liz(agna), credit for finishing your 5K running the entire distance. Neat that your FB picture felt good you you. A fit, trim, happy person sounds great!

spanky, thinking of you as you are experiencing the death of a last living relative. My living family is very small, too.

IBelieveinMe2, yay for good information on the scale. Kudos for taking a one day at a time approach!

Maryann, hoping for good news about your feet. Great strategy giving yourself small tasks to avoid the blues.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #69  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi!

Unexpected NSV I had to share! Was preparing to head up to the project...needed something for my phone/keys/etc. I remembered a cool fanny pack purchased years ago in Alaska...old style, well built and for years a very serious no fit. I kept it because I really liked it and today it fits OVER a turtleneck/sweatshirt combo with 3 inches of strap to spare. Makes me feel happy. credit.

Thx for letting me share....the real people in my life just wouldn't understand such a simple joy. lol
Old 05-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #70  
Green Tomatoes

I'm still here. Dealing with a skin infection that I finally went to the doctor for. Now I'm, reluctantly, on antibiotics. The doctor asked "Are you a yogurt person?" So, I'm carefully planning my pills around my meals and snacks that feature yogurt (you want them two hours apart so that the antibiotic doesn't kill the good bacteria in the yogurt before it has a chance to do its thing). This is all good for my eating. Nothing like a little enforced structure to keep things in line!

I also got a tetanus shot. These days, that comes with a whooping cough booster because they've decided adults need one. My shoulder is sore from that. Which is nothing, I know, but I thought I'd give a break in complaining to my husband and complain to y'all instead. Thanks for listening!

There's a possibility that I'll need minor surgery to remove the infection, but the doctor was good enough to come up with a treatment plan that put that off until after our trip to France.

Lexxiss: Woohoo for a waist strap that goes around and then some!
Old 05-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 210/220/140

Height: 5'3

Hi all! Checking in this morning to report things are going well! I'm on Beck day 7, rearranging my life style. I don't really have any junk at home to toss. In terms of work, I'm just trying to avoid places that have lots of junk. It varies day to day and today I haven't seen anything. At least no one has bowls of candy on their desks. The real struggle there is saying no to going out to eat, or making better choices when I go out to eat.

I'm having trouble figuring out WHEN to read things like my ARC and my response cards but I'm striving for when I get to the office and when I leave the office. On weekends, when I get out of bed and when I go to bed. I'll iron out these kinks as I go!

Credit for choosing a diet buddy, eating everything sitting down, eating completely vegan, reading my ARC and my response cards, drinking a ton of water. Yay!

Rosebud I remember the unpleasantness of standardized tests from when I taught 2nd graders. Getting 26 7 year olds to sit still for 6 hours of testing was HORRIBLE. I also had to read most of the math and science sections to them which was even worse and they mostly circled random things. Awful!

bethFromDayton I have moments like that with this forum too! It's cool. Happy to be there for ya!

BillBlueEyes Thanks for the constant inspiration and tools to add to my toolbox! Credit to you!

nationalparker Good job saving that pup! Good karma (and kudos) coming your direction on that one! Also, I wish you the same strength you showed getting him to lay down when you're making food choices! Make all off plan things lay down before you and stop trying to jump on you! (It's a clumsy metaphor but I think it's threre)
Old 05-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #72  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile feeling more confident!

After several consecutive days of mostly OP eating, I am feeling more confident and beginning to believe that I can do this!!! Now, I need to incorporate some exercise into the mix, and I will really be making progress! It really helps, especially during my "down times," to read about each of your triumphs and struggles and to have all of you cheering me on!!! So THANK YOU ALL..... again..... for posting and for caring! It really makes a difference in my weight loss journey!

Lexxiss: Hooray for a fanny pack belt that FITS..... with room to spare!!! You must be doing a happy dance!!!

veganasaurusrex: Me, a lion or scale tamer?!?! Now, that's a funny image, and one I will remember!!! CREDIT for interesting lessons and great observations the other day!

BillBlueEyes: Wow, 100% OP eating, "No Choice" to snacks, walking, and turning down food samples..... You are rockin' that maintenance thing!!!

nationalparker: Way to go on keeping that dog safe!!! Crazy story! I hate when you go out of your way for others and they show no appreciation, but the dog is okay because of you..... and that's what matters! You did the right thing!

gardenerjoy: Hope your skin infection clears up soon, without the need for minor surgery!

bethFromDayton: Way to go on an OP day and your food victory!!! Glad you were able to share the good news with us! You should feel very proud of yourself for waiting to eat the dessert until planned! Good job on your challenges, too!

spanky: So sorry to hear about the death of your relative. Take good care of yourself! Hope your busy work week is going okay.

Rosebud170: Sorry to hear that you are dog tired and have lost that skip in your step. Hope you get back to skipping and feeling good about things soon!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

Hey - is it ok if I post a question or two about the Beck diet solution here? I picked up the pink book at the library yesterday, skimmed it, read the intro, though the first two weeks (to see what I was getting myself into) and did Day 1 yesterday. I'll be working on Day 2 this afternoon...but I have one small practical question and one big emotional one!

1. The notebook - what exactly are we supposed to do with it? She mentions it several times in the book but I can't find a section where she explains how we are supposed to use it. She mentions jotting things down or keeping a record of certain things...but it does need to be done in an orderly way, or just however I feel will help me?

2. Day 8 scares the socks off me! I have never been able to keep to a schedule and I don't believe that I will be able to do it even for a few days. I believe that I can learn to think in a way that helps me eat sensibly...but how am I supposed to learn to live on a schedule? Should I try to master that first and then come back to the book? I was so hopeful and now I am so anxious
Old 05-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #74  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks17 View Post
1. The notebook - what exactly are we supposed to do with it? She mentions it several times in the book but I can't find a section where she explains how we are supposed to use it. She mentions jotting things down or keeping a record of certain things...but it does need to be done in an orderly way, or just however I feel will help me?
I actually don't keep a notebook although I post daily and that's sort of my jotting down things. She actually does a better job of explaining the diet notebook in the other book. I am a firm believer in doing things in a way that will help you--so if that means organizing it--then do that. If that means just getting them down--then do that. (I actually typed and color coded my response cards, and even gave serious thought to the fonts I used. I'm sure that wasn't part of the expectations!)

Quote:
2. Day 8 scares the socks off me! I have never been able to keep to a schedule and I don't believe that I will be able to do it even for a few days. I believe that I can learn to think in a way that helps me eat sensibly...but how am I supposed to learn to live on a schedule? Should I try to master that first and then come back to the book? I was so hopeful and now I am so anxious
My schedule is nowhere near as detailed as the ones she uses as examples. What I've done instead is to do general times of when I do things--it is a schedule, but it's not detailed like that.

So, my schedule is:
  • Sunday after my evening euchre game, I plan meals for the next week and create a shopping list (lots of re-use here)
  • Monday after work, I go to the grocery store
  • Thursday after work, I go to the grocery store (if needed) for additional produce
  • Either as I'm making dinner or when we're putting dinner away, I make my lunch for the next (work) day
  • Every night, I enter all of the next day's food into MyFitnessPal
  • Throughout the day, if necessary, I update MyFitnessPal
  • Before I go to bed each night, I post on this forum, with the commitment to never miss two days in a row
Currently, I have a workday pretty regular schedule for meals, and weekends are very ad hoc. So far, that's working for me. If it stops working for me, then I can adjust at that point.

Edited to add: if I still had kids in activities, that would be adjusted to "Monday or Tuesday, whichever one doesn't have a soccer game" to be decided over the weekend and then adhered to.

As for "before bed"--that can be immediately before, or it can be "right after dinner". I don't think it matters. Making lunch has to happen in the evening, or I'd fail at it in the morning (that's me--others are different). I sometimes do the week's meal planning earlier in the weekend, but I have to do after euchre before I go to bed.

This is more of a schedule than I've followed for pretty much anything. I just decided that this time, I wanted to lose weight badly enough to get myself into a set pattern. I balked and balked at planning--it works, it helps, it's probably essential to the success I've had so far. Now I'm a planning advocate.

So, that's my perspective--I hope it helps.

Last edited by bethFromDayton; 05-08-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #75  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Beth - quick note - Thanks for mentioning MFP in your note above - i had gotten completely away from it over the Los Angeles trip a few weeks ago and while I've been doing fairly well, I need to get back to it. Good reminder for me. Love your new pic, too (but what did the kitty do to lose his props of being on here?)

SoHopeful - Don't stress about any part of it. We're all trying to do our best with something that each of us struggles with or has struggled with in the past. Perfection would be a rarity, I'm sure. But you DO want to prepare your environment and way of thinking to build the habits for long term success. What you might find stressful now, you might think why in the world was that an issue when you rethink about it in three months. You can do this and you want to prepare to succeed!
Closed Thread