Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #106  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I have fallen off the forum here, but thankfully not off the wagon. Work has gotten so busy in preparation for the event I'm working, that the next two weeks will be very hit and miss here and I'm already missing what everyone has going on. I'm hoping to have time to read posts and jot a few lines, but it's iffy. Yesterday worked almost 12 hours and called DH who was on his way home then, too, and we decided on Chinese as it was after 7 and I had nothing thawed. I went to pick it up and he'd called it in to a restaurant an hour away by accident So sat there and waited for the order and calmed down a bit from the frenetic work pace. He called the other place with credit card and said to give it to someone who might need extra for a family or something. Got home, got back to work and ate way too quickly. On the scale as an afterthought this morning, then realized with my chinese, the sodium would be high, but whatever, and was pleased to see the result - will see if it does drop more by Saturday. Their portions are generous and can be split into several meals, so DH will take the rest. He loves chinese food like I love Italian.

Bought a pair of jeans in a size smaller this weekend - yay! But I do have them already in that size that I'm trying to get into, but those are a bit tight still for going out in public. At home, I wear them to curb snacking - ha!

Quick belated thanks, Bill, for the info that "Don't Push the River" was the title of a book of poems - I will look that up to see what they're like.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #107  
LuLu

S/C/G: 168/147/138

Height: 5'7"

hey Coaches!!
Still doing good, plugging away over here. Feeling good, slimming down, giving Beck what I've got!!
I'm grateful to be working on my behaviors, I'm learning so much about myself.
it's very cool!!
weight is going down, doing lotsa walking, sticking to my cleanse (for now).
it's so encouraging to feel all the inspiration from reading posts here.
I've got to hang on tight here, folks.

Liz
Wow, looks like you made some really good bad choices!!! Seems as though making better choices is starting to be natural for you. That swim class sounds great (I hear you about the hair ruling choices!). What is “masters swim”? Will you be on a team that competes? Good for you for setting up more exercise. As Beck says . . . ya gotta do it!! I see you bought yourself some clippers . . . so you are going to maintain the bald head? Very cool!!! Also, I love your Blum quote, I jotted it down with the ARCs.

Maryann (my weight sister!)
Nice that you recognize and voice how super duper your life is!! And you got a step class in too, yay!!! So great to hear your good news, what a relief!!

Gardenerjoy
Glad to hear your food has been light and sane. I look forward to your review on French Women Don’t Get Fat. Never heard of that one!

Shannon
Welcome!! I’ve been reading the book for a month now and I’m still on the first 14 days of the book. I’m setting up and really taking it all in. I’m hoping to have a lot of these destructive behaviors of mine sorted through, defined, and rewired, by the time I start my chosen food plan, which will be on May 1.

Beth
You lost your 10%!! Way to go!!! Glad to hear you are not in too much pain and that your food is under control.
If you google “what is Laughing Yoga?”, the first link that shows up, click on that and it gives the best description of it.

one by one
glad Looloo gained weight and you didn’t!! Sticking to that SBD!!!

Bill
I second what Liz says . . . you do put time and energy into leading this forum and it is much appreciated. Also, “It’s nearly impossible to eat healthy by accident” . . . on my ACRs, thanks!

Lexxiss
Lots of extra shifts for you, but you have a food plan you will not be sidetracked from . . . you are an inspiration.

Carol Sue
Yes, the bound index cards are absolutely perfect for this purpose, I’m loving it!!
I totally relate to what you said about losing your resolve, eating healthy but too much and impulsively between me. That’s my story in a nutshell. Together we can do what we can’t do alone!!

Ann
Nuttin’ much wrong with a banana and a bottle of water, if you ask me. As long as it’s in your plan, it could be a good healthy habit!! Good luck with the running!!

Goodbye for now!!
"Don't stuff your face, face your stuff."

Lulu
Old 04-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #108  
LuLu

Question . . .
I'm in the process of outlining my committed exercise plan.
Both spontaneous exercise and planned exercise.
does this plan seem like what Beck is looking for:

Spontaneous
M-F 10 min. walk from home to bus stop (I usually drive)
M-F 10 min. walk from Back Bay Station to Pru (morning commute)
M-F 10 min. walk from Pru to Copley (evening commute)
M-F 10 min. walk from bus stop to home
always use stairs along the way, not the escalators (there are a lot of stairs!)
use stairs instead of elevator at work for 3 or less floors to travel.
walk around the perimeter of the floor I work on 3X a day (190 steps, yes I counted!)

Planned
M-F 45 min. walk daily - my choices are either:
early before work on my treadmill or outside (although it will be dark); or
on my lunch hour, weather permitting; or
after work either on my treadmill, the treadmill at my gym, or outside, weather permitting.
S-S one hour walk

this is what I came up with, just for now.
I am capable of doing a heck of a lot more than that but I want to be realistic for now.
something I can commit to and succeed.

your thoughts?
any of you care to share your exercise plan from Day 9 in the book?

thanks,
Lulu
Old 04-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 245/222/180

Height: 5'9"

Wow! Ok, I may be getting the hang of this forum... I just realized that some of you had actually acknowledged and replied to me. I guess I'm a little slow. I'm afraid I can't reply to everyone separately. (How do you all do that?? Do you open a new tab and go through all the posts?) But I really appreciate the support from everyone!

I think I am doing all right with the sitting down and eating slowly. I do still find myself floating off and maybe not being as mindful as I should when I'm eating, but I'm working on it! I am on to day ten now. I have been dieting-or trying to- since I was around 13, so some of the things in the book, I already have figured out, I just have to remind myself of them daily to stay on track.

I actually came across 3FC in a magazine article, and I went out and bought the Beck book when I came across this message board. I searched it up & found out that it was based on the principles of CBT, so I thought it was worth a try! I have the hardcover, not the workbook- not sure what the difference is, or if there is one besides the fact that you are meant to write in the workbook.

So that's my story! I do have a question... anyone else out there have a hard time with breakfast?? I just cannot seem to make myself eat early in the morning. I have bought some meal-replacement shakes instead for now, to make sure I get something down before noon. But that is something I tend to struggle with.

Hope everyone has a lovely day!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #110  
LuLu

oh, I almost forgot!!
I forgot to give myself credit!!
I took the stairs instead of the escalator on the way to work.
that is a three flight walk up . . . a very long escalator.
I walked Comm. Ave. on lunch hour today.
I lost another pound.
I am OP.
I journalled this morning before work (very helpful).
I did oil pulling last night for further detoxing (google it if you've never heard of it).
still off the butts.
I actually like myself today.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #111  
LuLu

hi Shannon!!

I'm not sure how everybody else does it, but I type my post in a Word document and read the posts along side of it and comment on what moves me. Then I cut and paste it onto the forum.

I have the book and the workbook.
my personal opinion is that I could have done without the workbook.
to do it over again, I wouldn't have bothered with the workbook and just used the book and a spiral notebook for the planning.

I love breakfast so I can't help you with that question.
although, I do get up around 4:30am and have my morning routine, then leave the house by 6:45, then at my desk at work at 8:00.
I usually get my coffee and sip on that for a while and break open the breakfast around 8:30 or so.
so I'm really up for 4 hours before I eat.
but I'm such a piggy, I could eat a breakfast at 5:00 and another one at 8:30, even though I don't.
not because I'm hungry . . . just because.
that's the behavior and thinking I'm looking to change with Beck.

Lulu
Old 04-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi coaches/beckies: Yesterday was a healthy day. It took a few twists and turns, but - was within my overall food plan. I am grateful. Last weekend I got through many tough and challenging food scenarios. Credit. The day after that can be a mess for me but, I have made it through it. I've planned for a healthy day today and am planning getting through. I think what really helped me the most was the Friday Motivation that came from the Facebook page of Beck. It was about not waiting until Monday. I kept focusing on that.

I've been working on rereading the pink Beck book and renewing my notecards. Working on eating seated only... getting a bit better. I've been doing my exercises, measuring, logging, lots of water, leaving a bite, giving credit and trying to slow down. Credit.

Now I need to start preparing in my mind about a time when I'll be away from home that will be coming up. I need to start planning. I need to read and reread how to get through it with food sanity and no guilt when I come home. It's good that I did well last weekend - I hope that it has strengthened by resistance muscle. I think it has helped some. I just hate how managing my food has to be such a big part of going out of town. But.. it is what it is. I'll start my planning.

lulu - your exercise planning is wonderful... many credits! My exercise plan includes stretches and strengthening and going up and down the stairs for extra cardio. Gardening is always in my plan whenever possible. You are going full throttle and should feel great about it. Carry on!! PS - I am an early riser, too.. I also wait until after 8am to have breakfast.. just feels right.

nationalparker - it's so hard, sometimes, to pull it all together when we are so busy. Glad your tight pants help curb snacking. Good incentive. Credit for still being on the wagon.

maryann - so glad your doctors think the ultrasound shows nothing to worry about., I know you are relieved.

liz - credit for all that exercise!! Credit for being OP. That includes getting BACK on your plan. Also.. everyone deserves some rest - religion or not, I think. Carry on.

newlifestyle - I too, am looking forward to the nicer weather and all it means for getting out and about and more exercise!

slmm - you are right about the Beck techniques being helpful in learning how to live with food in a sane manner.

lexxiss/debbie - It's kind that you and co-workers can fill in for your friend. I am glad you are mindful of taking care of your feet. Credit with having a plan!!! - to help from the stress eating that can occur in these situations. You take care now.

billbe - those sabatoging thoughts can surely creep in and tell us... it's OK to do or not do what we really should do. Your regular routine is good... credit. Yes... it's SO helpful when folks aren't offering foods constantly.

onebyone
- so glad your kittykat is doing better. Kudo's on being OP with your food plan AND realizing how Beck is essential too. Carry on!

bethfromdayton - I am so glad to hear you are not in painl YAY. 10% of your weight down..... yay.. happy dance in your honor.

shannonde24 - WELCOME!! So glad you posted. Folks here are very helpful and supportive. Dr.Beck's techniques are helpful, also.

gardenerjoy - credit doing well with your food as you transition your food plan. Excellent.

I need to go. Remember to treat yourself as kindly as you'd treat a good friend.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-09-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 245/222/180

Height: 5'9"

Smile

Hi LuLu!

That's an idea with using Word. Maybe I will try that. Thanks! I am using the book and a small spiral notebook. I thought about getting the workbook as well, or instead, but I found the hardcover used. It was cheaper and I am poor, so I went with that!

I am a SAHM, and I am usually up around 6am. I don't feel like eating until about 4 hours after I get up either. I liked your ideas about the spontaneous workouts. I wish I had those opportunities. I was just looking at that in my book and trying to figure out what kind of spontaneous exercise I can get in when I spend the majority of my time in my little one-story house... hmmmm.... I spontaneously chased someone else's empty trash bin down the street yesterday as it was blowing away, but I don't have the opportunity to do that every day. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu01801 View Post
hi Shannon!!

I'm not sure how everybody else does it, but I type my post in a Word document and read the posts along side of it and comment on what moves me. Then I cut and paste it onto the forum.

I have the book and the workbook.
my personal opinion is that I could have done without the workbook.
to do it over again, I wouldn't have bothered with the workbook and just used the book and a spiral notebook for the planning.

I love breakfast so I can't help you with that question.
although, I do get up around 4:30am and have my morning routine, then leave the house by 6:45, then at my desk at work at 8:00.
I usually get my coffee and sip on that for a while and break open the breakfast around 8:30 or so.
so I'm really up for 4 hours before I eat.
but I'm such a piggy, I could eat a breakfast at 5:00 and another one at 8:30, even though I don't.
not because I'm hungry . . . just because.
that's the behavior and thinking I'm looking to change with Beck.

Lulu
Old 04-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #114  
LuLu

anybody in a position to redo their ARCs, I'm telling you these wirebound index cards are FABULOUS.
it makes me want to look at them.
I've used different color markers on the cards so it's interesting.

go on Amazon and search for:
Mead Wirebound Ruled Index Cards, 3 X 5 Inches
Old 04-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good evening, Coaches.
We'll another two hours this evening in a med office. This time for the crown to the root canal. Although not producing nearly the anxiety, I am completely beat. Turkey bacon, tomato and fresh roll sandwhiches which are DS favorite. it is official: Three of us can eat a pound of turkey bacon and I only had four pieces.

Food at work was good. Chocolate scavenging to the minimum, credit. It is good to put my thesis on the back burner for five days. I have almost forgotten it. This will help to have a new eye for final proofing.

simn11: you are absolutely right that it is easier keeping it off rather than taking it off. I have gained back about 9 pounds in 3 years which is discouraging but I am grateful i didn't gain twenty on that.

BBE: I think this the first week where people didn't hang out windows and pop up out of man holes in the street to offer you treenuts and mac and cheese.

Lexiss: i am sorry to hear about you co worker. How wonderful everyone is helping her out.

Newlifestyle: I just can't run. i admire people who do.

Lizagna: I was snuggling with Dh and DS watching a little night time tube. I thought, "this is a moment I can't ever get back. I think those moments are God's great comfort to us.

Last edited by maryann; 04-09-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #116  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Another quiet day for me--bed to couch to bed kinda of thing, with an exciting outing to the podiatrist to get a new dressing put on. Everything is just how he'd expect and I'm to continue to keep my foot elevated as high as I can.

I am cleared to do upper body exercise, so I'll be searching YouTube tomorrow for some chair/seated routines. I'll have to find one that I can easily skip the leg movements.

I ate more today than I did yesterday, but I'm still below 1200 calories and MFP is letting me know I'm not eating enough. DH went to the store today so I have a bunch of fresh fruit again! He works at home tomorrow so I won't need to be on my feet to prep my meals. (Dr warned me--if you're on your feet they will throb. I you stay off of them and keep it elevated, it won't hurt.)

Take care, all!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #117  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Red face coasting on the rollercoaster...........

Hello Coaches!

After eating a bunch of a favorite pizza at the end of an extremely tense day between DH and me on Sunday, I think things are settling down. Ouch! Emotional eating and comfort food! I tried not to beat myself up too much and at least enjoy it in the moment. I was consciously choosing to eat several slices, because.....well.....it really tasted good!!! Other than that little episode of bingeing, food has been pretty decent since our return from Florida last Friday night. CREDIT for climbing back on the wagon! My life has been such a rollercoaster ride lately, but I feel much more in control of things since we are back home. I am maintaining a rare sense of peacefulness within myself in the midst of the storm lately. And it feels good to know that my self-esteem is beginning to show. At least I am beginning to FEEL some self-esteem (despite the excess weight and my many other perceived shortcomings) and witness it in myself in my interactions with others, even in times of conflict (e.g., with DH), which is very challenging for me. That, I think, is the FIRST step I need to conquer on this weight loss journey: self-esteem. I want to "feed" my self-esteem during this process of losing weight, so that I will be able to meet the challenges of losing (and eventually maintaining) the weight, which in turn will feed my self-esteem more, which will make me even better equipped to lose more weight, etc... I want to get THAT kind of POSITIVE vicious cycle operating in my life for a change!!! And ~ with your support ~ I believe it can and will happen! This truly is a special group we have here. Each and every person adds something valuable to the group ~ no matter how often or how little they post. I can relate to certain ones of you better than others, but I always find a nugget of wisdom in each post. Often, throughout my day ~ especially at times of temptation ~ something one of you said in a post will come to my mind and either help me to resist food temptations or to make a healthier choice or to not beat myself up too badly after a slip. Your voices are beginning to drown out all of the negative "tapes" that constantly play as a default mode in my mind. And that makes me feel happy, hopeful, and grateful to each one of you here. I couldn't be doing this without all of you right now!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #118  
I can do it!!!

Smile Beth

bethFromDayton: I've been thinking about you as you recover from your foot surgery. I had foot surgery last July to repair a bunion and 2nd toe, and I still have ball of foot pain in my left foot for some reason. I go back to my podiatrist at the end of the month and might have to have another foot surgery this summer. I will be truly bummed if I need to have another surgery. It was such a setback for my working out and weight loss. So............ I can relate to your frustration with being off your feet. I am glad to hear that you are taking good care of yourself and following your doctor's orders! It will all be worth it in the end! Hope your spirits are staying up, as usual! Sending you well wishes! Just think, you will be doing a happy dance when you are back up on your feet!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #119  
I can do it!!!

maryann: So happy that your mammogram seems to be okay!!! What a relief that must be for you!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #120  
I can do it!!!

nationalparker: YAY for smaller jeans!!! That must feel so good!!!
Closed Thread