I See Summer Ahead(cause my piles of stuff are smaller)Beck DECLUTTERS:Mar 21-Jun 21

You're on Page 3 of 9
Go to
  • Hi!

Tami(helping rache), sending supportive thoughts as you negotiate family stuff AND a trip to Florida. Glad to hear things are becoming more automatic. I feel that way, too.

onebyone, kudos for such great progress forward!

Today is the official start of our Spring project...getting my grandmothers house ready for rental. Vacant since 1973 and a dumping ground of sorts for stuff that nobody wanted to deal with. I mentioned before that I have put lots of work decluttering and there is lots to go. Our contractors come May 8 so we have a month to clear it out.

Up there, today, I'm going to try and start with the sort:
    1. thrift
    2. trash
    3. save (not my decision) and store next door
    4. save (bring to my house)

We won't do any hauling today other than what might come down to my house.

I'm going to need to modify my "plan" at home. We are setting a time for going to work up there and I will need to do my chores at home afterwards.

I'm excited about this new phase. I will take pictures before we start.
  • continuation at home -- not up to studio work today.
    7-wash kitchen floor

PLAN: Hallway
    8-clear out entry hallway by moving small bookcase out of there DONE
    9-line/straighten up shoes DONE
    10-move items between kitchen doorway and bathroom doorway DONE
    11-straighten up/declutter bookcase on one side of hallway DONE
    12-straighten up/declutter bookcase on opposite hallwayDONE

13- deal with shelving unit crammed into the corner
    14-remove/gather items that need to go to my studio DONE
    15-put studio items into car for drop off tomorrow DONE
    16-drop donation items off DONE

17-buy some fresh flowers for the counter.

14/17 completed

After trying to relocate my filing cabinet, which stores stuff and which I haven't actively used since, oh, the 90's(?) I decided to donate it. I took the contents and filled up a drawer in one of the new furniture pieces we got over xmas and will save that detailed decluttering for another day. I already feel "unburdened" (is that even a real word?) by it. I think it's been weighing on me for years cause i have it and don't use it. *credit for letting it go*

Also, for the very first time in my whole life I have managed to clean my kitchen in such a way that I do believe that a stranger would agree that it is a "clean kitchen". here's to perseverance *credit* I was inspired, as i was moving my hallway stuff, to finally place the wall decals I got at the dollar store on my glass backdoor. It looks nice. I left room for the caesar cat to still have an unobstructed view from his cat space in front of the door.(see jpg attached)

I did find that my cleaning skills were just that much better and i *credit* being here and just coming back to face the problem over and over and over again. It is so important not to give up. Progress comes whe it is least expected and you can't think your way to it, you have to take the action(s) and do the work. *credit you guys for your good examples and for encouraging me to keep at it*

update: I'm taking #13 off the to do list. It's really a storage issue so I'll postpone it until I am back at the mountain. I also called it done on the west bookcase/desk leaving three bookcase shelves unsorted for now. I will do them as I settle in to work in that space. By being in it it'll come more clear as to what makes sense to be there.

I keep thinking we still may need a storage space, but I'm not done yet. I'm resolving now not to call myself a failure if it turns out I end up renting one at the end of this challenge. And that's the bottom line here Becksters: by summer solstice this place will be done, however and by whatever means.

bye!

• a thought
    Ok I had this thought. I have a desk in the alcove aka the west side of the hall. I think this was a closet at one time but now it's just an indentation running parallel to the hall itself. One of the free furniture thing I got from the upstairs neighbour is in here. I am just realizing that as I declutter it, like right after I write this, it will be a WORK SPACE hello? Like my writing desk! OMG. I have a space to write at home. My *gut* it telling me to go to the home depot and buy a fancy patterned duct tape and just cover the surface of the desk with it. I loathe the wood--find it very depressing. Don't want to paint it and who cares anyway? it's my used ugly furniture. So, as I declutter I am picturing a little writing desk set up in there with my 1960's plasic lamp that DH hates so much. This way I get to use it and he doesn't have to look at it. Yay! Things are happening Beckster Declutterers.... and btw the landlord didn't come in and I think the plumbing issue is fixed. No leaking all day today. Yay.

Back to work.
  • ONEBYONE: Oh my! What beautiful progress you have made. I love the picture you have attached. I love have you listed everything and then onebyone, changed the status and condition of your home. The unburdening and creative flow is evident. Blessing for hanging in there and making your space what you want it to be. So very glad for you.

Lexxiss: Love you plan and look forward to supporting you in the process. Thanks for the kind words. My sons friend is paralyzed. It hard for him to be in Colorado and away. Keeping in touch and loving him thru life's sadness.
  • Hello!
    Checking back in...loving to hear of your progress, onebyone! The duct tape sounds interesting...I've seen some pretty cool stuff. I've done some strange paint jobs with my old furniture...nothing turned out very interesting...just cleaner. Fun you will have a place for your writing!

Tami(helping rachel), has your DS' friend come to a hospital in Colo?

Looking back at my last post....chuckling now I guess up there I do a 1-2-3-4
    I did as I said and we made quite a bit of progress. Tomorrow I will make a dump (metal recycle) run, drop off stuff at the thrift and bring one more box down. I think we will simply plan to move several pieces of furniture...that's it. I have linens strewen around my dining room and it will not sit...must resolve.
    ~credit for going through them all and pitching a pile of stained/damaged already.
    I think I'll wash a load (tomorrow) and see how they turn out.

I contacted my electrician friend and will meet on Saturday so I can get an opinion on what needs to be done.

Nap time!
  • Hi!

I'm trying to check in early since we'll head out within the hour. Right now my home routine and project stuff are all meeting in the middle.

This morning I:
    ~washed 2 loads of linens and am ironing some right now. It's important for me to put the clean ones in storage boxes properly.
    ~folded/put away personal laundry and made the bed.
    ~took out the vacuum and did the entryway rug...zipped through the living room and did the hardwood floor to the kitchen.

After we "project" I'd like to:
    ~vacuum bedroom, swish upstairs toilet and sink and
    ~declutter in the office.

That's it for now.
  • Lexxiss and OnebyOne:

Wishing you a blessed Friday. Lots of great accomplishments this week. Good luck with your new project, Lexxiss. DS friend is at Denver hospital now. He was transported from around Greeley.

DS room is painted and finished. I just need to get new outlet covers. Packing for a trip with my sisters on a beach. I can't wait to just sit and chill out. It has been a long winter.

I may not be able to check in for the week it depends on the WIFI. Hope next week is full of much committed action toward those desired values!

Hugs.
  • Tami (helping rachel) Have a great vacation!!!!!!

We worked two hours at my Grandmother's house. DH vacuumed up 30 years of cobwebs and I kept packing/sorting. The miracle is this: I am almost through and I only had 1 large garbage bag and 2 small boxes to thrift, a box of hangers old enamel pans a light fixture and a metal shoe stand to recycle.
    I only have one more bureau to go through.

The reality is that over the past 8-10 years I have slowly but surely taken this from stacked to the ceiling to done. credit and

I will also acknowledge to anyone who reads this that:

"THIS WAS NOT MY JOB (OR MY STUFF) BUT I DID IT ANYWAY!"

I am grateful today to not have resentment w/mom for neglecting it AND filling it with her own undealt with "stuff". CREDIT

So, I was undecided about the linens. I started ironing this morning and they look "respected" now. They are getting washed, ironed and folded bit by bit.
    I was thinking of putting some of it in the basement (undone) but really don't like the idea of storing it dirty (minor mouse activity in boxes)

I work for the next 4 days I will "just do it". I'll do it in bits and pieces and stage the finished stuff on the big countertop in my office.
    RIP Grandmother...your beautiful handiwork is now being taken care of.
  • and we come to the end of another eventful week
    Declutterers

I was at the Home Depot today buying some cedar planks to do some woodblock carvings on and as I walked by the paint department I stopped and looked at these small jars of "tester" size paints. They are the size of my acylic paint jars. I asked the employee if they can mix any colour into those tiny jars. She said yes so I chose two: A bright green-like a kelly green -a bit spring greener than this green here: green and then I chose a dark blue-with purple undertones like this. That desk is getting one heck of a makeover. I've decided it is to become my writing desk and as my writing desk I get to do whatever I want with it. When I told DH that's what I wanted to do with it he said it was a good idea.

I have been keeping the areas I cleaned and cleared n good shape, still returning it to good shape every evening. I am enjoying waking up to the clear space. Some boxes and cardboard (I always seem to have so much cardboard recycling!) have crept into the kitchen area and there is a small box with a foodbowl for Looloo inthe middle of the floor. Whatever Looloo wants/needs/helps her to eat she gets so it'll stay there. We're doing all we can for that little charmer.

Not many clean up plans this weekend. I have got to attempt printing tomorrow. Deadline is Monday. No choice.

helping rachel Really enjoy the beach! Have a great time away!

Lexxiss I got a tug at my heartstrings when you mentioned honouring your grandmother and her textile work. My grandmother did that too, and I even have two pieces of table embroidery made by her sister, pre 1926 when my grandparents came to Canada from Hungary. They need to be preserved--some of the cloth is gone (moths and me as a kid with scissors-yes). *big credit* for chipping away that that pile for years. Wow. excited for you as you take the next step and turn the corner with this project.
  • Hi!

I'm making a commitment to post here daily while Tami is away AND make a very small bit of progress forward every day, too, even though it's the start of my busy work week followed by a day in Denver and travel over the hill for two days again.(mom has medical appts)

onebyone, I love those little paint samples! I did the top of my big/old chest of drawers in the office with "daffodill yellow". Great that you are noticing/enjoying your cleared space in the morning when you rise. To me, that has been the greatest motivation to keep going. I hope you have a productive print day.

Sometimes I wake up for a bit in the middle of the night and I decided ages ago that two things were NO CHOICE
    1. eating
    2. staying in bed wide awake where I start "worrying"
    Getting up...having a cup of tea...and crossing a few items off my list has been a much better deal.

Today's 1-2-3
    old clutter-going down to start a load of wash which will include a handful of old linens (just enough that I can iron them either before/after work)

current clutter-I've already spent just 5 minutes in my office and it "feels" much better

clean-I have the vacuum upstairs will do the bedroom (2 min) and have some veggies to wash (while the morning coffee brews).

Still finding space for my 5-15 minute exercise routine. Yay!
  • more more more
    Ok Declutterers.

Hello.

Long day long night and looking for a good night's sleep tonight. Got my print done but my studio is majorly dysfunctional. Many things have got to go. Next week I begin making things for the farmers' market so will be digging that out and will need to set uo a work space-well more like a storing area for work in progress and completed things. I do some of my stuff sitting in front of the tv so I need to take a stab and clearing the space around the coffee table/tv again. That's all I got tonight. Heading to bed right after I check in on beck board.
  • onebyone, I love the green smiley guy! Yep, more more more. Nice job with your print and acceptance of the second one not happening by Monday. Sorry 'bout the bed....I hope your latest box provides some relief.

I think your comment regarding not enough time resonated with me. I had these linens all spread out...This project is too time consuming when I look at my schedule for the week. I packed up the unwashed and put them in a corner of my office and persisted with the clean ones...they are all ironed and folded. They need to sit out for another day so I make sure they are totally dry then I'll pack them in the new tote.

I refocused, and am working on getting the house back in order. I have about 1/2 hour more until I have to get ready for work. I'll continue in a realistic fashion.
    So:
    old clutter-done all linens in their proper place (for now.
    current clutter-3/4 done
    clean-cleaned kitchen counters and sink, upstairs toilet, vacuumed upstairs. Will vacuum pet room/kitchen and clean pet stain before work.
  • Hi!

In my final 1/2 hour before I go to work 1 hr. early today. Our hostess has had a great tragedy and we don't know when she'll be back. She's worked there 17 yrs...her DH had pneumonia, was in the hospital and checked himself out last Wednesday. We are all just helping out as best we can not knowing what the situation is at home since we havent heard from her.

So:
    Today's 1-2-3

clean-have my vitamix container bleach soaking...will love its shine tomorrow.
    current clutter-worked on last night
    old clutter-will find a place for the box of unfinished linens before I leave this morning.

Even the small tasks will move me forward today.
  • can heed the call when it comes
    Hello Decluttering Folks

I am finally lifting my head above water. Several accomplishments to report:
    Looloo the cat gained weight this weekend. She is 4.25lbs, up from 3.8 on Friday. Go Kitty Go. This is very good news. I managed to get my art submission to the post office before 8pm today, which was the deadline but the pkg ws not postmarked wiht time stamp. I hope the date is enough to get me into the competition. And getting the submission means I got my print made + the pictures+ thw written supporting material. I have been at this for quite a few days. Nice to see it done and gone.

And yes, the sick kitty has, lately, begun to pee the bed at night. We re figuring this out and we think she doesn;t like it when i get up and leave and don't return. We've decided that either a) I can't leave or b) i take her with me. Hmmmm. She slept inthe living room last night and I kept thinking don't wake the dragon... needless to say her "antics" create extra housework. Ugh. At least we have a bit of reward for our ongoing effort today.

The kitchen dishes have piled up again. DH does this: he fills the sink with water on Sunday, then the dishes sit in them, then the water gets cold, then it's a couple of days and the water is stinky and I end up sticking myhand in the cruddy water, daining the sink, inserting the dishpan and doing the dishes. This has happened more than once. I can't really be upset with him though since he did all the laundry all day yesterday plus folded the laundry when it came out of the dryer and put everything but my stuff away. Guess I'll do dishes tomorrow and straighten up the kitchen into the great shape it was in last week. DO NOT want to see my hard work vanish so soon.

Must go. Late.

Lexxiss wow it's tough where you work and they sure need you! It's a *credit* to you that you are in fine physical condition to be able to step in when asked. Inspite of the extra time you need to spend at work for a while I am sure being able to physically do your demanding job must reinforce for you everyday your decision to lose the weight aand get healthy. KUDOS.
  • Hi declutterers!

onebyone, kudos for all the dedication put into your submission...all the while tending to Looloo, too. I'm glad to hear that she has gained some weight and that you and DH are teamed up together taking care of her (and the bedsheets :arg. I'm sure there is an answer for your dishes situation...yet it is probably hard to figure out when there is so much going on. Credit for jumping back in so your hard work from last week is not lost.

Me, the news from my coworker is pretty grave...we have not talked to her but believe her DH is going to pass on at home fairly soon. Still hoping for a miracle! So all other employees have been called on to fill shifts...one week at a time. I will fill in this Sunday,for sure. We believe she will want to come back to work but she has a disability and doesnt drive so there are many hurdles.

So, I'm trying to keep up at home and be gentle with my feet...The good news is that I have a food plan and don't have to get myself sidetracked over a tragic event that I cannot change. We went to bed early last eve which means I'm up early, too. I worked on some advance food prep in the kitchen. As I was washing up the big thought came through my mind.

It's really important to me to keep up and home and stick with my food plan while all the work stuff is going crazy.
    Today, it matters.
    So:
    1-old clutter-went out to car(in blizzard) to retrieve new tote to store clean linens...will put them into it today.
    2. current clutter-there isn't any....will make the bed, etc
    3. clean-everything is pretty clean here, too, will wash the coffee bar area today.

Keep on truckin'!