3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Beck Diet Solution

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #241
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome Alex (lexy)

Alex (lexy)

And for joining this month,

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 10 years
Old 02-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #242
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies It was fun walking, CREDIT moi, on a scant inch of snow - especially since nine inches had been predicted at one time. It was all melted by noon. Camelot snow, LOL.

Eating was only good enough, CREDIT moi. I got bored during the evening and tried to nibble my way out of it. Nibbling doesn't cure boredom. What a surprise, LOL. DW tried a new way of preparing Butternut Squash. Squash is just the best thing for getting through winter.

onebyone Good stuff, "saying NO CHOICE when I catch myself starting to nibble at the stove" - Kudos. The stove has the ability to make us forget that we have a plan.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Many times I'm so happy with the spontaneity of changed plans, but when I'm focused on a path, the changes challenge my eating. I like your perspective, "most of the time" well.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Yay for grilling instead of hiding inside just because it's February outside.

Tazzy - Ouch for a stiff car tab. I think mechanics can smell when you've got fresh money in your pocket. Neat that your dogs sleep better when you exercise them.

nationalparker Ouch for wasting sunny days when your eyes need the shade. Hope you're on a healing path.

Beth (bethFromDayton) Congrats on improved eating that shows up in your DH! Kudos for responding flexibly when your rotisserie chicken wasn't available.

IBelieveInMe2 Yep, Double Kudos for standing down the call to food when the head is hurting.

Julia (Julia150) Small numbers that represent big milestones are just the best.

Kitty (Bootedkitty) Walking instead of eating is a double winner.

Jo (veganasaurusrex) LOL at "just naughty sabotaging thoughts" - aren't they all. Kudos for such an effective simple strategy of writing "sit down!" on your hand.

Nola (Nola145) Neat to clear away the visible candies and snacks. You are so lucky that five adults are all OK without junk food.

Alex (lexy) Congrats on your wedding arriving in just six months. Twelve pounds is certainly possible in normal times, but you might want to be sure to get there early as possible before you face the intense period when everyone will want to feed you to try to calm you down.

Yep, we'll all be glad to be your Diet Buddies and ask that you be ours as well. Hope you clue us into the "dunken diet" - making it clear that it's obviously not the one that many college kids try on Saturday nights. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
How Thin People Think

characteristic 7
You Focus on Issues of Unfairness

The Beck Diet Solution
. . . I also came to the conclusion that there are two types of thin people: Those who don't have to work at staying thin and those who do. For the most part, those who don't have to work at it have small appetites, don't eat unless they're hungry, and get sufficient exercise. The rest fall into the second category. They have to work at it. Most thin people, especially women, stay thin by being incredibly careful about what they eat. They might tell you that they don't work at it, but mostly they do. This doesn't mean they're lying; they're just so used to eating the way they do, they consider it the norm. To them, eating small portions and lower-calorie foods is a way of life. They decide that fattening foods are either entirely out of bounds, or, more likely, they indulge in them only occasionally.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 40.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #243
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Meals were OP yesterday...at work not so good. I had bites here and there...nothing substantial just about the habit. I'm just about to weigh in. credit. Perhaps I can open the freezer again and put my plan on the counter.lol. It's a busy day with a trip to Denver right after work...when I'd rather be sitting in a comfy chair.

Welcome Alex(Lexy), I look forward to sharing your story.

My last 54 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #244

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi becksters - I got home last night. It was a wonderful visit. I got on the scale this morning and am up 2 pounds. I am planning for a healthy day.

It was a great visit with my son and family. DS made some meatballs and left out the salt because he knows I am watching my sodium. That was thoughtful.

Time to get back into the swing of things.

Alex(lexy): WELCOME!! Glad you posted!

I"ll catch up more later. Have a great day.

This came through my Facebook news feed today:

Tuesday Reality Check: If you want to lose weight and keep it off, it means you’ll have to learn to tolerate feeling hunger and cravings. While they can be uncomfortable, nothing bad will happen as a result of experiencing them. They’re a normal part of life!

Move ticker, move!
Next Mini Goal - 214

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." - Margaret Thatcher

I can't lose 100 pounds....but, just maybe I can lose five pounds twenty times.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 02-26-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #245
1.have a plan 2.follow it

S/C/G: 291/255/150

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up and today

Coaches, good morning.

The sun is out. OMG. and maybe we won't et another dump of snow today and tomorrow? *fingers crossed*

I've been doing very well, sticking to my plan, making plans, tracking, and last night I planned to eat a certain amount of food, and then when I cooked it up there was more than I thought and a whole extra serving went into the fridge for leftovers for today-that I am really looking forward to. I ate my dinner and then brought my plate into the kitchen and stared at the leftover food in the pan. I *really* thought long and hard about putting more on my plate since it had been "planned" for, but it's not about the food. It's about what goes on in my head when I deal with food. I am committed to no second helpings. It would have been that. I was also practicing having a "normal" sized portion, and it would have changed that. And I am trying to emotionally detach from my food cause it takes up way too much space in my brain. So I had to say No Choice. I felt *sad* about that, but wrapped it up and put it away and moved on to our planned dessert. And I made a cup of tea (ginger peach).I am *trying* to instill new routines around food so it can feel "normal" to leave the table not overstuffed. Normal to eat one serving. Normal to move on from a yummy dinner to something else--don't have to have ALL the yumminess right then and there. I can spread it out. IT S NOT AN EMERGENCY-no need to eat everything, right away.

ok having breakfast now and I'm off. Enjoy your day.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #246
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Good morning, all! Was in a snacky mood yesterday and reached for too much portioned stuff that was NOT on my plan ... and not fruit, either. Back on track today, hopefully. Followup at dr. today for eye ... it seemed to regress yesterday, better before the appt. than after. Feel like the past 10 days has been a stressful struggle. Now DH has a cold that I'm trying to stave off. I took yesterday and today off as sick days from work; have a lot built up and am looking to get fairly recuperated before heading back in as a one-eyed worker. Should be back in tomorrow. Still did about four hours of work from home yesterday, but today might not.

Freezing rain/sleet this morning. Did a trail walk last night in the wind. I am hating wearing my glasses again, and basically kept that eye shut most of the time. Forgot how they fogged up SO MUCH in the winter. I know I should be thankful for having the glasses.

Still tracking everything on MyFitnessPal and that's working well ... I wish there was a way to track food in different colors or something - to track the unplanned eating. Might be a way, i have no idea...

So close ... now so far!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #247

S/C/G: 260.6/250.4/145.0

Height: 5' 5"

Hi Coaches:
Thanks for being here to receive my post. I'm on Day 8 today, which means I had my one-week weigh-in this morning. Down six pounds. That's pretty motivating, even though I know most of it is water and the loss of a couple of very recently gained pounds. I also know there would have been no loss at all if I wasn't following BDS and eating on my low-carb plan. So credit me for the whole six pounds, water weight or no.
I've got my schedule for planning and managing pretty much figured out and it has worked well this past week. Peeking ahead to tomorrow, though, I'm concerned. I have not exercised regularly in about 6 years and I am way out of shape. I will have to start with baby steps and I'm not really sure where those steps will fit into my day. I am going to allow myself to try a few different scenarios and see which one feels like it is most realistic. But I am committing to doing SOME form of exercise every day.
On a different note, I cannot seem to get my profile pic to show up here, though it seems to be loaded just fine in my profile. Do I have to wait for a certain number of posts or something? Any clues?
I promise to start responding more to your posts, coaches, just give me a couple more days to get forum participation more integrated into my day. I hope you all have a wonderful Beck Day.
- Nola
Old 02-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #248

S/C/G: 250/233.5/180

Height: Six feet, one inch

Hey Coaches and Becksters:

Quick check in. OP today and planning a late walk with Brees--the new dog. As it stands, we are currently fostering Brees and he came already named, but we'll take another look at the name when he's comfortable with us. More tomorrow. Thanks for the support. And BethfromDayton, you're right: writing it down does make it much easier.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #249

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Good evening everyone!

Pretty good day, had all the food planned yesterday for today, just tweaked a couple of things when dinner came and I served beans instead of potatoes. One of my colleagues brought a box of chocolate covered macadamia nuts from Hawaii and I figured they were one of BBE's rare and unusual treats so I could justify having some. I should consider them rare if I'm the one that's travelled to Hawaii to get them! They arrived yesterday and today I put them in a file cabinet so I didn't see them every time I turned around! Not sure when my colleagues will figure out where they are.

Exercise was taking the dogs for a 40 minute walk on ice and snow (we got another 3 inches last night) and then standing with them in the backyard for 15 minutes while they played. Guess I can't really consider that part exercise on my part! If someone is out there with them Dexter doesn't bark endlessly at what seems to us like air, I'm sure he does it just to annoy the neighbors. One bad thing about a brand new community is the lack of trees and vegetation to keep yards private and dogs from freaking over seeing light from other houses' windows. With all the fresh air here's hoping they sleep all night again. Probably just jinxed myself with typing that.

Well the kitchen calls, need to figure out tomorrow's plan as I sure don't want to do it in the morning.

It's easier to stay on plan than it is to get back on plan. - 3FC's gardenerjoy

One for every 5 pounds lost!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #250
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I've weighed and will go look in the freezer and make a plan for the day....oh, got it...don't even have to look. I'll go pull out two bison burgers to thaw thereby finalizing it...think I'll grill again. Sounds fun for a "day off". Food was good yesterday. I did enjoy a piece of "planned" birthday cake at work yesterday and resisted dinner out instead returning home to cook. It was so much easier than going through the mental challenge of where...what...how much...when I could just pull my healthy stuff out of the fridge...prepare and serve.credit.

I've had a few moments lately to reflect on how practicing Dr. Beck's principles are having a lasting effect on me. Funny now, how odd it feels to eat something standing up...and how normal it feels to just walk by all the samples at Costco. It's enjoyable to stick with a planned meal at home instead of running out for spontaneous food. I like the "routine" of weighing everyday. I can pause and give myself credit for continuing to practice suggested skills and pick myself back up after I've chosen not to "resist".

Thanks to all my coaches who continue to post and provide such wonderful insight.

My last 54 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #251
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies Was a good session at gym, CREDIT moi. Even though it was Tuesday, I bumped into my MWF friend - who had also missed Monday. While walking home, I was able to purchase a brand new guide to Breast Cancer for $0.25. It wouldn't be my choice if I was dealing (men do get breast cancer) because it's more holistic than traditional medicine, but it's a good read on the opinions of those who seek the alternative route. It's a tough subject.

Eating was good enough, CREDIT moi, although my healthy dinner included a two-byte apple cake that had followed DW home from an event. She was pushing it so she didn't have to eat both of the squares that a friend had foisted on her. We're all pushers, I guess. I'm really better off with ZERO baked desserts since the processed sugar affects my brain. I had my Sumo Orange afterwards and felt noble.

onebyone This: "It's about what goes on in my head when I deal with food." Kudos for whipping out the old NO CHOICE.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Ouch for bites.

Beverlyjoy Yay for a DS who'll make his mom meatballs without salt. Thanks for, "nothing bad will happen as a result of experiencing them."

Tazzy - Yep, chocolate covered macadamia nuts from Hawaii are rare and unusual. And deadly, for those of us whose brains think that a chocolate covering instills healthy to anything, LOL. Don't tell me which file cabinet they're on.

BigchiefDavid Yay for walking with Brees.

nationalparker Ouch for the reality of dealing with your eyes - hope they keep moving toward full functioning. Kudos for "Back on track today, hopefully."

Nola (Nola145) Congrats on those six pounds - whatever they consist of. Don't worry about personals right away - it takes a bit of time for us all to look like different people. Some folks have taken to responding to a couple of personals because that's the time they have; that works also. You have properly inserted your profile picture where it goes on your profile page. You now have to insert it, or a smaller version, in the AVATAR place on your page. The AVATAR picture goes up right away - no waiting.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
How Thin People Think

characteristic 7
You Focus on Issues of Unfairness

The Beck Diet Solution
. . . It's natural to look at some people and compare what they're eating to what you're eating - but it's not helpful. With the Beck Diet Solution program, you'll learn how to accept the restrictions you have to impose on yourself to reap the rewards of losing weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 40.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #252
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Hello - the whole focus of my life the past few days has been my eye issue ... at recheck it was not responding well, and so more meds (thankful that another $100+ Rx was given as a sample - much appreciated) and the other was very inexpensive. A 24-hour recheck was called for, so returning again today and I'm keeping fingers crossed there is improvement.

Feel as if my stress is gradually climbing up a precipice. We received a letter from DH ex's lawyer, saying his daughter is attending community college after a year-plus out of high school, and we should pay the ex room and board for her as if she were going to Purdue. I flipped out. She can't even GET into Purdue, so why use that as a comparison? I'm beside myself. Judge in this family court is not the most logical, which further worries me, through past dealings.

Still trying to avoid DH's cold, but I think I'm faltering.

Staying withing calories, so credit there. Want to go back and review some chapters. Not reading response cards, it seems, unless someone posts that they are, then I go OH, I need to, as well. So must figure a way to make them handier, more a part of my day/evening.

So close ... now so far!

Last edited by nationalparker; 02-27-2013 at 11:16 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #253
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/183/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile

I have had a good week so far. Mostly OP with food, but still working on portion control. Need to get busy with exercise and reading my advantages deck and response cards more often! The days just seem to fly by! I often need to remind myself to stop and "just do it!"

Nola145: Congratulations on losing 6 pounds! Water weight or not ~ that is PROGRESS! You are off to a great start!

Lexxiss: I enjoyed your reflection on the Beck principles and their effect on you. Thank you for sharing!

onebyone: It sure sounds like you are doing much better! Thank you for the reminder that "it is not an emergency" and we don't have to eat everything right now. CREDIT to you for sticking to just one helping!

Beverlyjoy: Glad to hear that you had a wonderful visit with your son and family!

nationalparker: So sorry about your eye trouble and the problems with your DH's ex! Hope things improve for you soon!

BillBlueEyes: Thank you for the reminder that we need to beware of the "pushers" ~ even in our own families!!!

Tazzy: Those chocolate covered macadamia nuts from Hawaii sound scrumptious! Macadamia nuts are supposed to be great for you in small quantities. Not so sure about the chocolate part! I always enjoy reading about your pups!

bethFromDayton: How is the preparation for your big weekend coming? Sending you strength for your resistance muscle!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #254
1.have a plan 2.follow it

S/C/G: 291/255/150

Height: 5' 6"

Angry dealing/not my deal

Coaches

*continuing credits for* tracking, weighing, being on plan, no second helpings, eating sitting down, checking in with coaches, planning my food, and letting the results go <---important one for me especially today!
Why?
Well tomorrow is Official Weigh-In Day and my scale has climbed for two days now. I realize it is sodium, my evil foe! To counter this I am upping my intake of liquids today. (see attached jpg).

The other thing that can get lodged in my brain and cause havoc is a "oh... should I be doing that?" re: info from a close friend about something she is going to try to get the weight off "finally-forever-fast-for sure" all words that make me listen just a little bit harder-brain-be-damned! She is doing this:

Quote:
In order to lose 30 pounds in 30 days, HCG dieters should follow the golden rules with sheer dedication.

1. It’s mandatory to have 500-calorie diet during the maintenance phase.
2. Understanding the three phases of HCG diet is extremely important for achieving your goal weight without struggling.
3. Dieters should monitor their weight loss regularly.
4. HCG diet plan prohibits Cheating; hence dieters should stay out of high calorie food during the program.
5. You should take your doses on time.
6. It’s advisable to avoid makeup & cosmetics during HCG diet program.
7. Dieters should never drink alcohol and smoke.
8. Planning your grocery list is important.
9. Diet should sleep around 8-10 hours daily.
10. HCG dieters experience plateau at least once during the diet protocol hence they should be ready to face it.

If you follow the above-mentioned golden rules, you are sure to lose weight effectively with HCG diet.
Can you see the potential pitfalls?? OMG.

I am kinda beside myself that she would choose to do this. But I was beside myself when my brother chose to do a liquid diet program, adminstered by a hospital and physicians, meant for those who were upwards of 350+ and about to die (the only acceptable reason in my book to do that and then STOP IT AS SOON AS YOU CAN). Argh. Anyway. I did do a program like this once. I lost 99lbs. My hair was falling out by the end. I had 3 hrs worth of energy in the morning. They had no help for me when I just could not hit pound 100. None. No psychological help. So I left and regained about 60lbs within 3 months, the rest came back over a few years, while I was here in fact, but you know what? My hair is fine. My body has recovered and OMG I am not going there. I am sooooooooooooooo tempted to see 30lbs go in 30 days. But I am not willing to subject my poor long suffering slowly recovering body to this not to mention the mental torture of adhering to 500 calories a day and THEN WHAT? It's not like I am a changed person after it's over and the weight is gone. I'm still left with my brain that got me into this boat in the first place.

I tell you, reading about this diet makes me want to EAT. It makes me SO MAD. Argh. And then I feel so sad. OMG what lengths we go to to be thin. OMG what kind of suffering do we go through to push aside our instincts to follow something so difficult and possibly hurt ourselves. What punishments we are willing to accept. *sigh* Anyway, for me, I have a plan. *credit* It's reasonable *credit* It works if I follow the guidelines* the guidelines are generous and I can adapt it to normal everyday life and situations *credit* I do not desire to be thin and sick and worried that the weight will come back. *credit moi* for experiencing a 33lb weightloss with my current foodplan that *has* stayed off, for a year now. That's success for me. I want to be more successful, don't get me wrong, but I'm proud of this, and it generates in me a feeling of confidence that I am learning how to manage my weight. Who cares how long, so long as I keep at it?

Anyway, that's what's up with me. Thanks for listening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gretzygreen.jpg (26.4 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by onebyone; 02-27-2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: horrendous spelling mistakes
Old 02-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #255

S/C/G: 173/ 163/ under 154

Height: 5'6

Good evening, Coaches.

Tried to catch up and then became overwhelmed. So I will ease back in.

I read about someone eating over a stove. Goodness my "standing while eating" is out of control. I will pull out my response card. "If I continue to eat while I stand, I will have to buy new clothes." And that is the bottom line, isn't it?

Thanks to all who gave me encouragement about not quitting my masters program. I didn't. I I am ready to keep going grateful to have a finish line in two months. DH has been super supportive--helping with childcare, telling me how proud he is of me. It helps to not be alone in something like this.

Food is not great. I will weigh in two days and willhope my ticker does not go up.

Welcome to the newbies.

Last edited by maryann; 02-27-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Closed Thread