3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Beck Diet Solution

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #181
1.have a plan 2.follow it

S/C/G: 291/255/150

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation sad to say but I ate my way through it

Coaches

I come here with a heavy heart. I've spent the last week overeating. First to deal ith the emotions around going to see my mom. Then during my visit. And now it/I haven't stopped sine I got home Saturday night. I have been binging at times. Choosing all foods and lots of it. I just couldn't hold to the thought that could cope with my mom AND stay on plan--though I've done exactly that in the past. I weighed in on Sunday at 259.7. (+3.2).

I'm just totally at a loss. I don't know what to do with myself. DH continues to lose weight. I am grabbing the lbs he's shedding and this weekend I was eating a good 1.5-2x the amount he as and still wanting more. I *should* be consuming 1/2 what DH eats. Beck is right,

Quote:
You Feel Helpless and Hopeless When You Gain Weight

. . .You, however, may have constant sabotaging and demoralizing thoughts that undermine your confidence. When you overeat, you might believe that you'll never be able to control your eating.
I do feel this way. But I feel a tad better for sharing it too.

Bye for now.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #182
Italian Sunny Girl!

S/C/G: 63/52.5/52

Height: 1,63 mt

Default Take a breath and get on track!

Onebyone, I know how you feel, I know what it means thinking you'll never manage to control your mind, feeling guilty, feeling you are failing, feeling phisically bad for what you eat. Change thought. What you did is done. You are not perfect, nobody is, but you can learn from this experience! Which were the sabotating thoughts you had? Identify them, write them down and reply to them, now for next time. What could you have done? Which strategies? Think about that, teach your brain a different way to deal with emotional eating, show your brain the right way to cope with that situation, see the positive end of that movie, many times. Let your body feel the positive effects of acting positively! You can do it, and you will! I'm sure of that! When I read about your "discomfort" about going to your mom's, I remembered I read something about that on Beck's Blog www beckdietsolution com. If you want you can go on the blog page and search for the title "In Session with Deborah: Difficulties Going Home". I hope it can help.
A big big hug!!!
Kitty

Last edited by Bootedkitty; 02-19-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #183

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi... I too am feeling discouraged. Saturday, Sunday and Monday I weighed 210. Today I weighed 214. I gained four pounds overnight. I KNOW I didn't eat the calories. I know it's the medicine I am taking - but, it was disheartening as I saw the dietician today. We both agreed that it's just information. The good news is I have lost ten pounds in the last four months since I have been seeing her. Credit.

I have eaten extra today. But, I'll eat my planned dinner. I don't have to wait until tomorrow.

Now I must concetrate on preparing for going to visit family. GS's birthday is coming up.

Onebyone - thanks for posting that reminder. It seems that way. But, we just have to keep coming here and start planning again. We have to forgive ourselves and go forward.

Hope you all are having a good day.

Move ticker, move!
Next Mini Goal - 214

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." - Margaret Thatcher

I can't lose 100 pounds....but, just maybe I can lose five pounds twenty times.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #184
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Good evening - I'm wanting to just veg completely tonight. Walked on treadmill or on trail for 7 of the past 8 days, and am debating on whether to treadmill it tonight or take a break. Such a terrible work day - I think the pounding on it would be a bit carthartic. But I also want to kick back with a cup of hot tea and Downton Abbey, which I dvr'd and am looking forward to relaxing with those folks.

Have a terrible habit of if I skip a meal (rare) I over eat those calories and more. Today I managed my apple and banana during the afternoon, so need to remember I DID have 200 calories there!

I was journaling about this recently: if I go off plan on weekends, and on holidays, and on vacations, that means that nearly 1/3 of the year I'm off plan. And that gets me nowhere. That was a good reminder to focus on weekends. I typically do okay on weekends, but I will do a response card for that since my vacation and holidays are a challenge.

So close ... now so far!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #185
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Today had a few minor variations, but was on plan. Someone put the Corn Chex back in the pantry with less than a cup of cereal left, so I had to substitute.

Exercise was on target and with help of DH, I got my new rebounded put together. I'm going to try it out tomorrow night.

I downloaded Susan Alber's 2nd edition of Eating Mindfully from the library e-book collection today, so that's my current reading.

Being discouraged is something that happens to all of us--and I have to fight the tendency to dwell on my failures as if they mean I'll never succeed. The truth is, though, there are lots of credits and successes that go along with the failures, which means I've succeeded in the past and am able to do so again.

Hope all is well
Old 02-20-2013, 01:10 AM   #186

Hi all,
This will be short and sweet. Credit moi' for not overeating today. I actually WROTE DOWN my plan for today. I had some variations, but didn't eat anything unhealthy, or go over my allotment.
Also, credit for going to Aqua Pilates this a.m. when I was SOOO tired and didn't want to get out of bed. Personals tomorrow! Thanks for being there!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #187
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was walking to my last physical therapy session for my leg, CREDIT moi. The sessions covered by my insurance are completed; I am declared healed with instructions to continue the prescribed exercises for three months and the stretches for life; my handicapped parking chit has expired; all is well with the universe.

One more day on plan, CREDIT moi, including watching DW mix a huge bowl of her trail mix that is off limits. Off limits because it's not on plan and thus when my hand enters the jar it knows no bounds. I did have the urge to snack when I returned from physical therapy but had a glass of water instead. My PT said that one cause of Charlie horses (muscle spasms) is dehydration and that as we get older (ahem . . .) we lose our sense of thirst thus contributing to that. So I'm to drink water until my pee is pale instead of drinking water when I'm thirsty. Oh, well.

onebyone – Continuing to send supportive thoughts as you process the emotions of dealing with your mom. It's tough. Kudos for facing that you must take care of yourself anyway. Beck's quote today seems to have you in mind.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat demonstration that intractable problems can be broken down and solved, step by step.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for a spouse who wants to eat healthy.

Beverlyjoy – The scale jitters and we keep going. Wonderful thought, "I don't have to wait until tomorrow."

maryann - Two hours of skiing is great exercise - Kudos.

Woodland - Sobering calculation that weekends, holidays, and vacation constitute a third of the year. Kudos for facing that.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Thanks for the reminder, "there are lots of credits and successes that go along with the failures."

Kitty (Bootedkitty) – Kudos for success with the hunger experiment. Yep, cravings are one menacing enemy.

kindercoach – Oh Yes, Super Kudos for going to Aqua Pilates when the Sabotaging Thoughts were chanting their I don't wannas.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
How Thin People Think

characteristic 6
You Feel Helpless and Hopeless When You Gain Weight

The Beck Diet Solution
This program teaches you many techniques to prevent overeating. But, equally important, it also teaches you how to learn from your eating mistakes and to recommit yourself to your diet right away. When you do so, your confidence grows. You'll know that you can immediately recover from slips and control your eating and weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 39.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 10 years
Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #188
1.have a plan 2.follow it

S/C/G: 291/255/150

Height: 5' 6"

Lightbulb the wonder of self-expression

To My Brilliant Coaches

*credit* for being who you are. Thank you.

After a full day of getting everything out I woke up renewed this morning, and this inspite of both of my cats hassling me from 5am on.

After getting the gunk out I could once again see where I had gone off the rails--and this is a realization that's taken a while to re-learn. When I was actively losing weight, I simply *trusted* that the WW Scientists had done all the work in figuring out a foodplan and a system and a means to implement such into my daily life in ways that work. WHEN I FOLLOWED IT it worked. I did not fight it. I followed it. I have been ignoring its parameters: I eat large portions and I eat too much food. I don't plan ahead except vaguely as in I'm going to cook _____ today/tomorrow/on the weekend. I am waaaaaaayyyyy more focused on the eating and the food than the eating and the weightloss. Basically, these days it's down to I'm more focused on the EATING. Period. I forget about the weightloss part every day until my jeans are tight, the scale jumps up, DH looks slimmer whatever the trigger. And, the worst of this is a loooooooonnnnnngggggg history with overeating to solve problems of any kind and a loooooonnnnnnnggggg history of overeating to hide from problems and from people.

So, since everyone gets infinite do-overs I'm taking mine.

I *credit* got on the scale and saw (-3.3lbs) to 256.4. The travel weight is gone. Today I commit to tracking my food and to getting to the studio to further express myself.
*credit(s) moi* for posting yesterday while in the midst of crisis and for coming back today without embarrassment, just as a normal flawed imperfect human being.

Thanks so much for being here everyone. My days of abandoning this quest to lose weight while in a panic over a slip/a binge seem to be behind me. It's all due to to Beck. I give this program full credit for getting me on track every single time, and this ALWAYS gives me another chance to succeed a little bit more.

All the best to everyone reading this today.

Last edited by onebyone; 02-20-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #189
Green Tomatoes

Quick check-in for a busy day. I haven't fully written a plan because next on the list is a menu for the week and grocery shopping, but I will write a full plan for the day before I eat lunch. It makes all the difference for me.

Exercise: +55 900/1300 minutes for February

BillBlueEyes: congrats on achieving healed as defined by the insurance company. It's really been impressive and inspiring to watch you take the steps needed for that.

onebyone: so happy to see you here, again. I'm glad you're feeling better this morning.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #190
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Doing another fly-by here ... more issues so another crummy workday. But at least I've got a job; I recognize that and am thankful.

Ended up skipping on the coworker's birthday lunch outing that I set up (I handle the monthly outings so no one is skipped) ... it was to a famous burger joint and I would have ended up with a grilled chicken sandwich for too many calories, I'm sure. No time to leave the office, anyway, and sure enough, another issue arose right as soon as they left. I feel as if I'm in "fight or flight" mode all week, email with ! sign comes in and my heart starts pounding and stomach churning.

I need a response card for this that stress doesn't burn calories at warp speed, though it feels like it should.

Will catch up with personals hopefully this evening.

So close ... now so far!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #191

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hello Everyone,

Again it's been awhile since I checked in here. I had an enjoyable 3 day weekend and only looked at the computer when I needed to track my food for WW online. Oh and my weight as well, which did go up by 1.4. Not happy about it but when I thought back to last week, not surprised either. I wasn't doing all the same things as before when I was losing and justifying eating "crap" because it fits into my points is not good thinking. Back on track since yesterday and have already planned to take the dogs for a long walk tonight. The weather has cooled off again but I am a tough Canadian girl and it is still winter here even though we'd all like to believe it's over

Hoping to get back for personals soon!

It's easier to stay on plan than it is to get back on plan. - 3FC's gardenerjoy

One for every 5 pounds lost!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #192
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday's food was so so...not the kind of all healthy day I like but poor food choices were not associated with negative emotions so I'll just say that I'm ok with that. Travel was safe and meals were OP....it was just the "in betweens". Credit for sharing GS cookies w/DH while watching a taped episode of Survivor and leaving some in the box which has been stashed with his other "stuff". I weighed at the pool even though I don't like their scale. credit. Today's eating OP and I have a plan. That's always good.

BBE, kudos for such a stellar recovery! Just in time for some better weather, too....DH's injury on May 31 certainly goofed up a precious summer.

onebyone, glad you are feeling better today.

Back from the pool and my quinoa is almost done...It's more than lunch time here.

Take care everyone!

My last 54 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #193

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks... checking in. Yesterday was an awful day, foodwise. Today, however, is going OK. Grateful.

I am facing time away from home - I've been reading my response cards and advantages. There's a big pizza party on Saturday. GS is having a bowling birthday party. I think I'll just skip the pizza and eat later. I will probably bring a banana. My dietician says that people don't really care what you are or are not eating. This is true except for my one wonderful SIL who's only flaw is that because she is overweight - she doesn't like others to make a point of eating healthy when she is not doing it. I've dealt with it before. I will work it out.

Sometimes I feel weary of having to deal with my food addiction. But, if I want to have food sanity I need to plan, log, and do all the other things around food.

I'll check in tomorrow.

Move ticker, move!
Next Mini Goal - 214

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." - Margaret Thatcher

I can't lose 100 pounds....but, just maybe I can lose five pounds twenty times.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #194
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Today has been a good food and exercise day. I remembered half my lunch today (the fruit and celery) but forgot my frozen meal. Thank goodness for the one in the freezer at work! Otherwise, my food was completely OP--including two Girl Scout peanut butter sandwich cookies.

I had two Do-Si-Dos because I asked a woman at work to bring them to me--exactly two. She brought them yesterday, but I hadn't planned for them for yesterday, since I didn't know when she'd bring them in. So I planned them for an evening snack today and enjoyed them very much. Portion control is so much easier when there isn't more to get!

Avoiding snacks at work is so much easier than it used to be. There were frango mints and Girl Scout shortbread cookies out today (and ring pops) (and tootsie pops). I noticed the mints, and thought, "Oh chocolate. I like chocolate. That chocolate doesn't have anything to do with me." and didn't even really crave it--it was more of an observation than a wish to eat it.

I thought it would always be hard and I'd always be fighting myself wanting every sweet that came along, but as I've created rules for myself and learned how to be glad I'm not eating something, it has gotten a lot easier--and in not that long of a time. This is my 7th week of not having had an unplanned snack at work. And if avoiding snacks at work gets easier, then maybe eating carefully at weekend-long parties will get easier, too.

Beverlyjoy: I'm sorry you had a hard Tuesday. Good luck with time away from home--and chances are the pizza at a bowling alley pizza party won't be very good anyway--no reason to go off plan for poor pizza! Do you think it'll help to eat before so you aren't hungry?

Lexxiss: Credit for weighing at the pool--and for recognizing that your poor food choices weren't emotional ones.

Tazzy: Glad it was a good weekend away. Credit for walking in the cold--I grew up near Chicago--but I still hate cold! And credit for getting back on track!

nationaklparker: I'm sorry work is stressful. Stress not only doesn't burn calories, it tries to trick us into eating extra calories. Nasty stuff, that stress.

gardenerjoy: Yay for planning. It is almost funny to me how completely I've adopted planning--planning for the week and planning for each day. It does make a huge difference and it helps me stay on track so much better.

onebyone: I'm sorry you have so much going on right now. Are you up to recommitting to going through the pink book day-by-day again? I'm just wondering if you need to step by step get yourself back on track.

BillBE: Laughing at drinking until your pee is pale. Trail mix is hard stuff to just have a little of--some things are best left alone. It's an odd thing when insurance rather than doctors define "done".

Take care, everyone!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #195
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi. A guy laughed at me because I started my dreaded lunges from the locker room along the corridor to the workout room. I'd started doing this to hold at bay the Sabotaging Thoughts that I don't need to do lunges. In fact, they were painfully difficult when the cast was first removed, but have become slowly more possible as the muscles have been worked back to normal. Also got in a walk to the library to pick up two books they had ordered for me. I've become more addicted to the library than to Amazon, especially liking that the library takes the books back.

Snacking was awful at the opening of a friend's art exhibit. It was timed when I'd normally have dinner, but wasn't dinner - just cheeses, crackers, humus, and baked bites. Good news is that I stopped, partially by leaving earlier than I had to leave. I didn't plan appropriately because I couldn't figure out what I wanted. Back on plan now.

onebyone – Yep, Yep, Yep, "ALWAYS gives me another chance to succeed a little bit more." Going forward is a real life NO CHOICE.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for busy. Do you have a bunch of clothes to buy before Paris?

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Those "in betweens" can get to me, too.

Beverlyjoy – Sobering, "people don't really care what you are or are not eating" as if we weren't the center of the universe. Good luck dealing with the sensitivities of your overweight SIL.

Tazzy - Three days without computers sounds like bliss. Kudos for getting past the junk food stuff.

nationalparker – Skipping a birthday lunch outing to avoid only bad choices is worthy of Kudos to be sure. LOL that "stress doesn't burn calories at warp speed" - or we'd all be skinny-Minnie’s.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – The big secret, "Portion control is so much easier when there isn't more to get!" Wish it could always be that way. Kudos for arranging exactly two Do-Si-Dos.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
How Thin People Think

characteristic 7
You Focus on Issues of Unfairness
Are you surprised to learn that most thin people restrict their eating to some degree? They might be trying to maintain their weight or to stay healthy - or both. So they sometimes eat smaller portions than they would really like and choose healthy food when they'd really prefer to eat something else. They accept these limitations without too much struggle. They just don't think about it very much.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 39.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 10 years
Closed Thread